I Do Believe In Egos

By EmbodiedInsanity

Having the characters they created literally come to life was a weird circumstance Mark and Jack had to accep... More

It Begins
Hospital, Sweet Hospital
Settling In
A Jim Diagnosis
The New Symptom
Not Enough Beds
Regressing
Patient Care
Failing Hope
A New Hint
The Next Phase
Quiet Hospital
Test Run
Out of Time
Progress
The Road to Recovery
The Beginning of the End
Hospital Closure
The Happily Ever After?

Possible Diagnosis

1.3K 75 533
By EmbodiedInsanity

After realizing that Robbie was literally fading, time became a blur for everyone. No one had really talked about it, and they had all just gone their separate ways. Mark and Jack had both individually decided to return to their original plan of spending as much time with the egos as they could.

Mark was sitting with King, waiting for him to wake up. Jack had gone upstairs to be with Jackieboy, since Robbie was not at all conscious and Marvin was also asleep, but apparently didn't remember who Jack was anyway. Mark had been warned that King didn't remember him either, but he refused to believe it.

The second that King shifted and his eyes slipped open a little, Mark grinned. "Hey... how are you feeling?"

King stared up at Mark, seeming a little unsettled. "Ok." He answered quietly, his voice a bit hoarse.

Mark nodded. "Yeah?" He smiled, patting King's arm. "I know I haven't been around in a bit. I've been worried about you though."

King silently blinked at him a moment before he yawned then sighed. "Who... are you?"

Mark frowned, looking over at Dr. Iplier on the couch and the man just gave him an 'I told you so' shrug. Sighing Mark cleared his throat. "Mark. I'm Mark... you don't remember me at all?"

King slowly shook his head. "I'm... sorry... sir."

Mark stood up, sighing. "Get some rest." He said softly, and left the room.

Amy looked up, from trying to get the Jims away from Robbie, and frowned, abandoning her task to follow Mark out. "Are you alright?"

Mark covered his face with his hands, and she could hear the hitch in his breathing. "Why didn't I take it seriously? I should have taken it more seriously."

Amy wrapped her arms around him, hugging him close. "It's alright. No one could have known this was coming."

Mark eventually wrapped his arms around her, leaning into her as he tried to hold back tears and failed. "How many am I going to lose?"

Amy was just quiet, and they both understood that she didn't have the answers. She just held him until he seemed to calm a little. "Why don't you get a drink of water and go up and see Shepherd, Ed and Bim?"

Mark nodded a little, leaning back and wiped his face with his hands. "I'm such a mess."

Amy offered him a small smile and cupped his face in her hands. "It's alright. Go spend time with them, ok?"

Sighing, Mark did as he was told and went to get a glass of water before he headed upstairs and made his way into the room. Jack watched him and his bloodshot eyes for a moment, but decided not to say anything and returned to talking to Jackieboy, telling him the stories of the deeds of a great hero. Bim tried to roll over on his air mattress, but was struggling and Mark sat down beside him, helping him sit up.

Amy sighed, heading back into the sick ward, giving Dr. Iplier a sad smile before making her way over to the Jims. "I'm serious this time, you have to leave him alone."

"This is the biggest story in the whole house!" Reporter Jim pointed out. Camera Jim nodded, the camera still pointed at Robbie.

Amy placed her hand on the camera, gently lowering it. "He's sick guys. What would Mother Jim say?"

Reporter Jim gasped. "Mother Jim would be angry..." He looked at Camera Jim who nodded and they quickly headed to the other side of the room. Amy let out a relieved sigh and made her way upstairs. She looked in to watch Bim halfheartedly showing Mark the phone game he'd been playing, while Jack was still telling stories to Jackieboy. Without disturbing them, she headed to ward two, and sat down on the floor beside Google Blue to see how he was.

They spent the next several hours spending time with the egos in ward two and three before Mark started to get really tired. Amy sighed, helping him to his feet. "You're still sick." She reminded. "We should get you home."

Jack nodded a little. "I think I might... stay here again tonight."

Mark sighed softly. "I get it."

Jack walked back down to the sick ward with them and smiled a little, hearing Anti giggle. He made his way over to the corner that the glitch was sitting in, just relieved to see one of his alters that wasn't weak and stuck in bed. "What are you doing?" He asked, looking down at the phone screen.

"They're drawing more art of me again." Anti grinned. "There's always a boost after a video."

"Right..." Jack chuckled, sitting down beside him. "Can I see?"

Anti sighed, Jack being the only one to believe he was innocent still stuck with him and he nodded, shifting so Jack could see the tumblr art.

"Oh yeah." Mark yawned, looking over to Dark. "I put one of your videos up... so there might be some fun comments or art about you, if you get bored."

"I barely remember what we recorded." Dark grunted. "They better be good videos."

Dr. Schneeplestein suddenly sat straight up, eyes wide. "Vhen did you post zhat video?!"

Mark turned to stare at the doctor, a little thrown off. "Uh... I don't know. I posted it a little while before we came over? I've been sick... and I hadn't posted anything in a few days... I thought it was a good time for one of the Dark videos."

Dr. Schneeplestein sat forward, staring over at Jack. "Vhen did you post ze one of Anti?!"

The gears started to turn in their heads and Jack shifted, looking at Anti. "Uh... yesterday. While I was at the hospital with Mark." He looked back to Dr. Schneeplestien.

The doctor nodded, leaning back against the couch. "Zhey recovered after videos vere posted to ze channels."

Mark frowned. "That doesn't make any sense."

Dr. Iplier looked around the room, and nodded. "Yes it does. The ones who have fought this off the longest, are the ones who have been the most active and most recent on the channels. It's not about how much like you they are... it's about how much people are thinking about them."

Amy sighed, gently holding Mark's arm to make sure he was still stable on his feet, noting that he was getting pretty tired. "So... you're like faeries? Like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan?"

"Right. I'll just have the viewers chant I do believe in egos, I do, I do... while they clap. Is that it?" Mark huffed.

"I feel as zough you are not taking zhis seriously." Dr. Schneeplestein grunted, glaring at Mark.

Jack was just sitting silently, staring through the phone in Anti's hand while he thought. Dark got to his feet, stretched and cracked his neck as he crossed the room. "We exist because the fans wanted us to be real... but you..." He looked between Mark and Jack. "Both of you... have been more focused on touring than creating story lines."

"Hey!" Mark snapped. "I ended up making the entirety of Who Killed Markiplier about you and Wilford, and I even made a video after that just about Wilford!"

Dark gestured to the bed behind him. "When was the last time you made something about King?"

Dr. Iplier sighed. "We were trying to treat it like some kind of a physical illness. It's a digital one." He looked up at Mark. "Do you remember when Youtube broke?"

"You mean when it went down?" Mark sighed, glancing at Amy before looking back to Dr. Iplier. "Yeah... but that was months ago."

"And ve have been noticing small issues over time, vhich are now getting vorse at a very fast rate." Dr. Schneeplestein huffed.

Dark nodded his head. "We must have drawn power from those old videos... they do make us who we are, after all."

Dr. Iplier nodded. "And when youtube went down, something changed. Something happened to those old videos, or our connection to them. They're not supporting us anymore."

"We need new videos." Dark turned to Mark.

Mark looked between them. "This... sounds ridiculous. You understand how ridiculous this sounds, right? I can't just... remake those old videos."

"You did not remake any of my old videos." Dark pointed out. "You made a new one."

"Maybe it reactivated ze old ones?" Dr. Schneeplestein shrugged.

Jack sighed. "I bet people rewatch the old ones in record numbers when there's a new one. Especially newer viewers who didn't know about the old ones until people start talking about it again."

"Maybe zhat helps to reconnect us to zhem?" Dr. Schneeplestein suggested.

Mark shook his head, looking over at Jack. "You're buying this?"

"Well nothing else makes sense and it doesn't make sense that they exist in the first place. We posted Anti and Dark videos, Anti and Dark are feeling better. It's the only thing that's done anything." Jack pointed out. "The only issue is that Robbie-" He started to explain as he looked over and gasped, jumping to his feet and dashed to the cot, anyone who was still mobile, joining him.

The zombie was merely an outline, the flickering of the static becoming less apparent. As they all watched, as what was left of Robbie completely faded from sight, and the blanket that had been draped over him, collapsed onto the bed. "Robbie?" Jack whimpered.

Dark glanced at Anti. "Do you know where he went?"

Anti shook his head, staring at the bed with wide eyes. "It's not like... I don't... there isn't a place?"

Jack closed his eyes tightly, gently shaking his head. "He's... gone."

Mark leaned into Amy, swallowing hard before he looked over the other cots in the room.

"Well get him back!" Anti snapped, turning to Jack.

"What?" Jack sighed.

"Bring him back!" Anti snarled. "You're the one who has all the power here!"

Jack slowly shook his head. "I don't control it, Anti. Robbie wasn't even a character I played, you know that. He was a thumbnail!"

Dark placed his hands behind his back, looking over to Mark. "You have a lot of work to do."

"What?" Mark sighed.

"A lot of videos to make." Dark growled.

Mark frowned. "I can't just start throwing videos up on the channel. Especially not... look, I said I'd never use a lot of those characters again. Out of respect! I can't just throw them into weird sketches now, my heart isn't going to be in it."

Dark slowly crossed the room, glaring at him. "As if you have a heart. You trapped Wilford in that maze of a mind he has. You've made utterly stupid videos. Just put on a costume, and get in front of the camera."

"I gave Wilford a backstory because he's a character! You're a character! I never actually did anything to you!" Mark shouted, Amy grabbing his arm. "I never wanted you to exist!"

Dark narrowed his eyes. "You're going to let them die? And you think you're not the monster here?"

Mark's face dropped. "I never said I was going to..."

Amy frowned, stepping between them. "Dark, he needs time to think. He's sick."

"They're sick too." Dark growled. "But they're not going to sleep it off."

Ignoring Dark's response, Amy wrapped her arms around Mark. "Relax. We'll figure something out."

Mark sighed. "We don't even know if this theory is right." He took a deep breath. "Look, we have time. I... I need to go to bed."

"He really does." Amy looked back at Dark.

Dr. Iplier sighed. "They have time Dark. It took Robbie a few days to disappear... no one else has even started to look static-y. He can go home and rest... they have time to think. For now."

Dark glared at the doctor, but seemed to back off, heading back towards Wilford.

Jack was still staring at the empty cot. Mark took a deep breath, coughing a bit as he leaned into Amy, really feeling it now. "Sean? Are you ok?" Jack hesitantly nodded. "Are you ok if we go?"

Jack slowly turned his head then and nodded. "Yeah. Go rest. Feel better man." He sighed, looking back to the cot.

Mark was a little reluctant, but Amy lead him out. Anti tried to engage Jack a few times, but when the man ignored him, he eventually headed back upstairs to ward one for some alone time, though the Jims quickly followed him to record it. Jack eventually locked himself in the office. He had always been confused about Robbie and hadn't developed a deep connection with the zombie, but he was sad that he was gone. He was more so worried about what this meant for the others, and wondered if they really could save them.

It was a restless night for all involved, and Mark and Amy returned in the afternoon the next day. As soon as they walked into the makeshift hospital, Mark caught sight of a familiar school girl outfit down the hall, and he gasped. "Yandereiplier?!" He called, rushing forward.

As the figure turned to face him, Mark stopped dead in his tracks, eyes wide. Grey skin, a dark line under the eyes and a red and blue glow that he hadn't noticed before. Unmistakable. "Dark?" Mark muttered.

Darkiplier turned, placing his hands behind his back and tilted his head. Mark glanced him over quickly, and slowly nodded. "Didn't think I'd ever see you... in a skirt."

"I feel as though you gave me no choice." Dark took a deep breath, struggling to contain his aura, as his skin slowly changed to match Mark's tone. "If you will not make the videos... I will."

Mark took a deep breath. "I can't put a random yandere video up on the channel Dark... I'm too proud of what I've built to start putting non-sense up now."

Dark's skin instantly changed back to grey as his aura flared out around him and the lights flickered before they dimmed. "I am not giving you a choice." He growled. "I gave up giving choices."

Mark held his hands up. "I have a compromise. I don't want to see them gone anymore than you do. I know... you don't trust me, and you probably don't believe that, but I do care about them. I'm going to put a new King of the Squirrels video on the channel. It's been awhile and I'm comfortable putting one of those up. If it makes King better, I will figure something out for the others."

"Yan is sicker." Dark snarled.

"I know." Mark sighed. "This is what I'm comfortable doing, Dark. He's not in immediate danger. We're still going to have time to save him, if this works for King."

Dark sighed, the brightness returning to the room. "Fine. But if you do not make the videos, I will, and I will find a way to post them."

"Clearly." Mark nodded, finally relaxing.

Amy smiled a little, leaning into Mark. "I bet Celine feels pretty."

Dark's aura flared red, and he glared at Amy. "Celine is gone."

"Mhm. Sorry I brought it up." Amy smiled, watching the red as it flickered and eventually settled, mixing with the blue again.

Wilford stumbled out of the sick ward, then tilted his head, looking Dark up and down. "Do not." Dark growled.

"I was only going to say your legs look stunning in that." Wilford smirked.

Dark glared at him. "Which is why I told you not too. I must change." He grumbled, heading into the bathroom.

Mark whined. "No one took a picture, did they?"

Amy giggled. "Probably for the best. He's just worried, leave him alone."

Sighing, Mark gently pulled away from her and stepped into the sick ward, standing in front of the couch. "I'm going to post a King of the Squirrels video... are you well enough to monitor King when it goes live?"

Dr. Iplier nodded slightly. "I think so."

"Alright. We're going to film it this afternoon, and Amy will help me edit it, and we're going to post it tomorrow. I need you to let me know if any one goes way down hill, alright? How long do we have once they show signs?" Mark sighed.

Dr. Iplier shrugged. "A day or two. Not long."

Mark slowly nodded. "Just long enough."

Amy had wandered across the room and was staring at Bing's shell, hung up on the wall. "When was the last time he turned on?"

"Days ago." Dr. Schneeplestein muttered.

Amy cringed, looking over at them. "That can't be good."

"Neither is Yan barely waking up. None of them are good." Dr. Iplier sighed.

"Ve are not mechanics." Dr. Schneeplestein added.

Mark watched the android a moment before he groaned. "Hopefully this works... even if it does though, I don't know what I'm going to do about everyone."

Amy smiled, gently rubbing his back. "You'll figure it out."

Sighing, Mark looked back over at the doctors. "Where's Sean? Uh... Jack. Where's Jack?"

"Still in ze office. And I know his 'real name'. " Dr. Schneeplestein muttered, making air quotes as he said real name.

Dr. Iplier frowned, looking at him. "Jack's real name is Sean?"

"Yes." Dr. Schneeplestein sighed.

"Why isn't his channel called SeanSepticeye? That even sounds smoother..." Dr. Iplier shifted.

"You expect me to explain zat man to you?" Dr. Schneeplestein huffed, closing his eyes and Dr. Iplier shrugged.

Mark sighed, making his way over and knocked on the office door, while Amy stayed in the sick ward, tapping on Bing's arm to see if she could get him to boot up at all. Because the android was plugged in and didn't need food or water, no one else had bothered to pay much attention to him, they were strapped for time as it was.

"Yeah?"

When Mark heard the voice he cracked the office door open. "Hey." He smiled slightly. "How are you doing?"

"You know." Jack sighed. "I'm upset. Mostly at myself."

Nodding slightly, Mark stepped inside, closing the office door again. Jack was sitting on one of the cots, and he sat down on the other. "I didn't even know you had a zombie. Were you close?"

"I mean..." Jack leaned his head back, staring at the ceiling. "No." He looked over at Mark. "But that's not the point. He was alive... and that was kind of my fault, and I let him die."

"You didn't just let him die." Mark frowned. "We were trying, we just didn't know how to help."

Jack shook his head. "I didn't take it seriously..."

"I didn't either." Mark sighed. "I mean... it was Dr. Iplier. I'm not used to having to take him seriously."

"Exactly!" Jack gasped. "Dr. Schneeplestein doesn't care about his patients, I thought he was just trying to distract me for some reason."

Mark nodded. "We're going to fix it now. Ok? I'm going to make a King of the Squirrels video and if King starts to get better, I'll be figuring out more videos, and you can figure out videos for yours... we'll get them shot, edited and up and everything will be fine." Jack sighed nodding and Mark shifted. "I'm sorry about Robbie."

"Thanks." Jack sighed. "I should talk to them about it."

"Probably a good idea." Mark nodded. "Dark's so upset about Yandere he was going to make a video himself." He chuckled.

"That's kind of sweet." Jack grinned.

"I guess." Mark got up. "I'm heading home to film the video and get some more sleep. Are you staying here again?"

Jack shrugged, nodding. "I think so. The doctors haven't really moved from that couch, so I've kind of had the office to myself. It makes me feel better, being close, in case something happens."

Mark sighed. "Honestly? It makes me feel better knowing you're here too. Thanks."

"No problem." Jack smiled. "Just work on getting rid of that flu, alright?"

"It's just about gone." Mark chuckled, making his way back to the living room. He watched Amy gently patting Bing's arm as a light seemed to flash in his eyes. "Amy?"

Frowning, Amy looked back to Mark. "He can't power on. He's trying, but he can't."

Mark sighed, walking closer and wrapped an arm around her, watching Bing. "Hey Bing! If you can still hear... we're gonna get you out of there. Hopefully soon. Sit tight bud." He gently pulled Amy back before he let her got and turned to leave. "We have a video to make."

"Yeah." Amy nodded, giving one last look to Bing before following Mark out so they could get home and get started.

Taking a deep breath, Jack made his way into the sick ward, hesitating to make eye contact with a clearly sleepy Dr. Schneeplestein. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired." Dr. Schneeplestein sighed.

Jack nodded, making his way over to check on Marvin, who was asleep. He decided not to bother the man, and sat down on the floor beside Anti. "Are you mad at me?"

Anti glanced at him, sighing. "What?"

"You seemed upset that I didn't do more to save Robbie." Jack tilted his head.

Anti shrugged. "He was a lump of flesh. He barely had a personality."

Jack hesitated, watching as Anti's glitching became more intense. "It's ok if you're upset he's gone. I'm upset he's gone too."

Anti glared at him a moment before he squirmed. "He may not have been one of your precious characters, but he never hurt anyone." He rolled eyes. "I mean, he ate a few people, but he was a zombie! He didn't talk much... or do much... but he was still... he was one of us!" The glitch hissed.

Jack nodded. "I know. I wish there's something I could have done Anti, I really do. But we just figured out what might be wrong. I never said that Robbie was just a thumbnail to imply I didn't care about him, I just had no way of bringing him on screen. I never did make up or had costume for him, there's no effects we have set up for him, and no character I can play out or accent I have for him." He sighed. "I had no control over him. The fan base created him. I'll try playing a zombie game and reusing his thumbnail, but I don't think that will bring him back."

Anti frowned, pulling his knees to his chest and nodded. "Don't... don't let Marvin go."

"I would never." Jack nodded. "I have his mask, and as long as I have that, I'm sure we can help him. Ok?"

Anti sighed, looking over at him. "Don't tell him I was worried about him."

"Marvin?" Jack chuckled. "Why not? I think he'd be excit-"

"Don't!" Anti hissed. "I have a reputation." He muttered, as he got up and left the room, storming back to ward one.

Jack sighed, nodding his head as he started to think up a video he could make for Marvin. If Mark's plan for King worked, he wanted to be ready to spring into action. He wouldn't let them down, and now that he knew how to fight this, he wasn't about to lose another one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 116 39
When Darkiplier sends out GOOGLEplier and Chase Brody to find Wilford Warfstache on a full Lunar eclipse in April of 2006, he didn't expect them to b...
33.1K 2.4K 30
Antisepticeye's always gotten whatever he wanted. He never had anyone he respected tell him no and if anyone did, they wouldn't live long enough to a...
93.2K 3.3K 22
Markiplier and Jacksepticeye's egos sometimes act childish, but things hit a whole new level when they turn up as actual ankle biters. Will Mark and...
284K 6K 45
When I wrote this I wrote it as reader is AFAB, however I'd be happy to try make one for those AMAB/Gneutral if anyone was interested. Maybe even add...