Epidemic ✦ Nomin

By xiaojunnie

"Why do you need me? You have guards swarming this place like flies to a rotting piece of meat. Why is my pro... More

Epidemic
01
02
03
04
05
07
08
09
10
Oh no, where are all the chapters?

06

1.7K 139 40
By xiaojunnie

The ride home is silent and cold. Neither man wanted to speak up and make polite conversation like they had earlier that night. Both remained livid at one another for varying reasons which neither cared to discuss.

When the coach stops, Jeno reaches for the door, preparing to exit, but he stops himself.

"I want my pay for this job and an agreement to terminate my position as your guard," Jeno mutters, "I will keep your secret as long as I live, but I want no part of this, anymore."

"No," Jaemin says flatly as he crosses his arms.

"Pardon?"

"I will not terminate your contract. You signed it, therefor you will fulfill your duties to me."

"How dare you deny me my freedom! You dare act as if you despise me for speaking my mind, yet now you tell me I cannot leave?" Jeno glares at the younger.

"I am upset with your actions, but I am not upset with you," Jaemin clarifies, "You are the only man for this job, and I refuse to find another to replace you."

"Unless you are willing to tell me why I am to impress Doctor Moon and why it is so important for me to stay, then I suggest you start your search," Jeno growls.

Jaemin sits silently in his seat while Jeno eyes him expectantly. When there is no response, Jeno grumbles and reaches for the door once more.

"Many people know my father to be a brilliant businessman. A well-respected owner of the largest, most modernized hospital in the country. While this is true, I can unfortunately say he lacks in other ways," Jaemin stops him, "He has always prioritized work over parenting, and with my mum dying during childbirth, I was left to practically be raised by my servants."

"And what is the relevance of this story?" Jeno leans back into his seat.

"Doctor Moon was hired by my father when I was younger. I would curiously wander into his office, and he would gladly show me his work. He has taught me everything I know about medicine. He has always shown me kindness and compassion where my father has lacked. He is like an older brother to me," Jaemin mindlessly smooths out his robes.

"But why do you care if I impress him?" Jeno grows increasingly irritated.

"You are supposed to be with me for an indeterminate amount of time. I was eagerly hoping that you and the man closest to me could manage to like one another. Besides, all three of us are working towards the same goal, so a friendly environment between us would be beneficial," Jaemin explains himself.

"So when we do not, the blame falls on me?" Jeno argues.

"When you insist on chasing after a serial murderer and make both he and I uncomfortable, yes. I would say that is grounds to assume you are the one at fault."

"There is a man who has been brutally murdered and placed in his son's grave with no indication of where his son's body is. Do you not care in the slightest what has happened to them?"

"Jeno, we cannot go running towards danger. We have jobs to do and duties to fulfill," says Jaemin as he grows exasperated.

"Then why not allow me to do it on my own?" Jeno responds coldly.

"You are a guard not a detective. Please, Jeno, let it go. Allow the police to catch the person responsible..." Jaemin urges him before attempting to change the subject, "Why don't we go inside and have a cup of tea while we discuss further terms of our contract."

"Further terms? What do you mean?"

"Come with me, and I will happily inform you," Jaemin coaxes him.

Although Jeno knows Jaemin is simply trying to dissuade him from going out to search for answers, he can't help but feel the need to find out what exactly Jaemin has in mind. Were these terms more restrictive of his personal activities? Did they involve specifications for his pay? Would these terms involve how long he would have to serve him?

As much as Jeno hated the idea of being around Jaemin for one second longer, perhaps he could convince the latter to shorten his contract.

"Fine," Jeno answers in a monotone, earning a relieved smile from Jaemin.

"Brilliant," he responds as he waves his hand towards the door, "After you."

••••

Jaemin sits rather comfortably in his upholstered chair across from Jeno. He leans back with his fingers interlaced, staring with a faint grin at Jeno. Meanwhile, the latter sits up straight with his fingernails digging into the arms of his own chair. He waits impatiently for Jaemin to speak, but they simply sit in silence in his library as they have been for several minutes now.

The door abruptly opens and Jisung enters with a silver tray in his arms. He cautiously waltzes towards the two and sets the tray down gently on a small table beside Jaemin's chair. He takes a porcelain teapot and begins pouring the dark, steaming liquid into two teacups. He takes the first and carries it cautiously over to Jaemin before turning towards Jeno and cocking his head slightly to the side.

"Sugar?" he offers.

"Two, please," Jeno requests, to which he earns a respectful nod, and Jisung quickly tends to his cup.

After stirring in the requested amount of sugar, the boy hurriedly shuffles over to Jeno and hands him his tea. Jeno murmurs a 'thank you' and takes a sip of the bitter drink as he waits for Jaemin to speak; which, thankfully, isn't very long.

Jaemin murmurs to Jisung, and the younger boy bows to him. He then scurries out of the room, leaving the two alone once more.

"What are your housing arrangements?" he finally asks.

Jeno purses his lips, feeling uneasy as he instantly gets an idea of what Jaemin was up to.

"I live in whatever lodging is closest to the job I acquire at the time," Jeno responds truthfully, "A permanent residence has never really been an option I can afford, nor something I have particularly considered as much work is not centralized in any specific town."

Jaemin's eyebrows raise significantly at this revelation. He stares in utter shock for several long seconds before speaking once more.

"Those places are hardly sanitary! Much less a safe place to sleep!"

"Not everyone is as privileged as to be able to stay in a hotel," Jeno retorts.

Jaemin shakes his head with an air of disappointment. He takes a sip of his tea before setting it beside him on the small table.

"Perhaps it is in your best interest to stay here with me," Jaemin fixes his cup tediously.

"I would much rather stay in the lodging, sir," Jeno denies as he sips his tea, earning a miffed scowl from Jaemin.

"It was not a suggestion," he fires back in a dull tone, "I have a spare bedroom just across the hall from myself, and it would cost you nothing to stay. It is a much safer place to live, and the less money you waste on a room means more money saved for later. So...what do you say?"

Jeno raises an eyebrow at Jaemin, uncomprehending of why he was so adamant on being so close despite the tribulations they have been dealing with all night.

"I came in to negotiate the terms of my contract, not to discuss moving in with you while I work alongside you," Jeno taps his fingertips against the porcelain of his teacup.

"I beg to differ. I think that your living arrangements being added to the perks of working with me are very much a related topic of discussion," Jaemin remarks, "What else is there that you expected to negotiate?"

"I expected to discuss shortening my contract or otherwise voiding it all together," Jeno huffs.

"I am sorry, but that is not up for discussion. You have already signed the binding contract and therefor will work with me for a minimum of six months while the deranged killer is on the loose. Longer if he has not vanished or been caught by the end of that time," Jaemin sighs, "And trust me when I say I will not hesitate to take action against you, should you not fulfill your end of the deal."

"And what? Tell a judge that the terms of our contract are to dig up graves?" Jeno counters with a grin, "I hardly think that's a good move for you or your hospital."

Jaemin chuckles lightly, causing Jeno's confidence to diminish at an exponential rate.

"You clearly did not read the contract thoroughly," he responds, "The circumstances in which you're supposed to assist me are on nightly escorts to and from the hospital as well as any errands I must run for the hospital. Without a valid reason for wanting to break the terms of our contract, I do not see you getting out of this that easily."

Jeno begins to feel backed into a corner. Desperation overtakes him as he blurts out:

"And if I tell them what it is you're doing?"

Jaemin's smirk doesn't fall, but the look in his eyes grows dark.

"Now, Jeno...why would you want to risk doing that?"

Jeno purses his lips together tightly. He knows he wouldn't expose Jaemin for exhuming bodies, but the fact not even that intimidated the man causes Jeno's blood to boil.

"I will let you ponder this offer for the next twenty four hours. When we meet again, I expect you to have a decision," Jaemin announces in a voice which sounds largely indifferent, "As an added incentive, I'll throw in an extra few hundred a month to pay for any expenses you may have for the cost of living. But only if you stay here."

"Why only if I stay?" Jeno asks.

"Because to turn down my offer is to show that you are in no need of help. If you are in no need of help, then there is no need for me to extend my generosity towards you," Jaemin answers, "Understood?"

Jeno nods hesitantly, trying his best to avoid making eye contact with the man.

"Yes," he murmurs.

"Good. Now, unless you have anything else to say, then-"

"I'll do it," Jeno cuts him off, instantly feeling discontent with himself over hastily taking up Jaemin's offer as the latter shoots him a delighted look, "I will stay here if it is what you wish. If I am to be bound to this contract, I could at least utilize the incentives of free rent and accept the extra pay...As much as I hate admitting it, I could use it."

Jaemin beams at him with a brilliant, toothy smile that Jeno couldn't quite determine if it made him want to punch the man or...or...well, he couldn't quite put his finger on what else he imagined doing.

"Brilliant!" he chimes happily, "Have Jisung take you to your lodging and help you pick up your things. When you return, he will show you to your room."

Jeno swallows hard, despising how Jaemin was getting exactly what he wanted.

"Th...thank you, Jaemin," Jeno winces as he just barely manages to get the words out.

"You're very welcome. Now, you best be on your way. The sooner you fetch your belongings, the sooner you can turn in for the day," Jaemin hums.

With a slight bow, Jeno stands from his chair. He drags his feet as he shuffles towards the small table beside Jaemin and sets his cup down beside his. His eyes flicker to Jaemin, finding him beaming back at him with a content smile. Jeno turns away immediately and promptly leaves the library to find Jisung.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

364K 13.1K 57
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Ellie Sloan reunites with her older brother when her hospital merges with his jackson avery x ellie sloan (oc) season six ━ season se...
135K 15.6K 22
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
1.1M 36.5K 63
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
87.1K 3.1K 51
"𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡, 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥, 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐀𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐥𝐞" 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Caitlin Clark fa...