The Time Eater

By GracelessLiar

Her hands were born to hold a sword, but Tavia was never given that chance. In world where using magic is a g... More

Chapter 1: A war had been brewing here
Chapter 2: Fought twixt nations, hearts
Chapter 3: Full of hatred and of fear
Chapter 4: With cruel magic arts
Chapter 5: Marquest, the nation mighty
Chapter 6: Prided alther blades
Chapter 7: We from battle never flee
Chapter 8: And never seeking aid
Chapter 9: Terris, land of tradition
Chapter 10: Magic masters wise
Chapter 11: Held fast to their position
Chapter 12: Sought a deadly prize
Chapter 13: Though many years we had fought
Chapter 14: With no end in sight
Chapter 15: Balanced though advantage sought
Chapter 16: Till all changed one night
Chapter 17: Desperate Terris stole power
Chapter 19: Before whom all do cower
Chapter 20: Their future they sold
Chapter 21: Dieos the Time Eater
Chapter 22: Demi of ages past
Chapter 23: Usurped The Terris leader
Chapter 24: So the stone was cast
Chapter 25: Such power never seen before
Chapter 26: Marquest bound by fears
Chapter 27: Losses followed by still more
Chapter 28: We wept futile tears
Chapter 29: Pain and fear too hard to stem
Chapter 30: Not a hope to hold
Chapter 31: For a hero to save them
Chapter 32: Who could be so bold?
Chapter 33: Then a hero stood so tall
Chapter 34: Saw the soldiers poor
Chapter 35: Counting those who did fall
Chapter 36: Vowed never one more
Chapter 37: Blade of night and edge sky-blue.
Chapter 38: Held 'bove hero's head
Chapter 39: Bold and silent, to strike true
Chapter 40: Evil's eyes of red
Chapter 41: With alther dark and magic bright
Chapter 42: clash of sword and spell
Chapter 43: Their contest went through the night
Chapter 44: till the monster fell
Chapter 45: Silence fell across the land
Chapter 46: As the fighting faded
Chapter 47: soldiers cheered an end so grand
Chapter 48: To the foe they hated
Chapter 49: But alas our brave hero
Chapter 50: Stood after no more
Chapter 51: Though lives and peace we did owe
Chapter 52: A hero to the core
Chapter 53: A story told through years long
Chapter 54: Stretching far and wide
Extra: Remembered in this song, tale of hero's pride

Chapter 18: From a monster old

3 0 0
By GracelessLiar

Evos grabbed Tavia's hand. As she gave Evos a startled look, his form began to grow hazy, fading into a blue light.

"Focus," he said. "You did it before; you can do it again."

And then Tavia was holding the Ageless Sword in her right hand.

"E-Evos?" she asked.

There was no answer. It would seem his many abilities didn't include being able to talk while in sword form.

"Ugh, why does he insist on helping humans?" Ikarios snarled. His eyes were locked on the sword, and his face contorted into utter disgust. "I could use his help, but he just insists one being nothing more than a tool."

What was Ikarios talking about? Helping humans? He wasn't trying to imply that being Terrisian made him more than human, was he? That was beyond even the imperialistic attitude of Terris. Tavia shook her head. She didn't have time to think about that. She had to figure out how to do that channel, if she didn't; she wasn't going to last much more than a few moments in this fight. What had she done before? Evos said it had happened twice. Once when she Jumped, but she had only been angry then, and the other time...well, hadn't she been scared then? Tavia was scared right now too, but that didn't seem to be the key to channeling.

"Are we killing her?" the woman with the rapier asked.

Her expression was cold, her manner all business. Tavia shivered, dreading Ikarios's answer.

"No, Meridian," he said. "She managed to wake the Ageless Sword. She may be useful, so take her alive."

It was nice to know her death wasn't on the table, but being Ikarios's prisoner was terrifying in its own special way. Remembering the feeling of him digging into her mind, controlling her, was enough to make her shudder. That wasn't anything she ever wanted to feel again.

Tavia wrapped both her hands around the hilt of the sword and bit her lip. Meridian was coming her way, confident and calm, her pale eyes full of assurance in her victory. She didn't fear Tavia, and the two Althiest women behind her weren't even preparing for a fight. They kept their grimoires in the straps at their sides as they watched.

Tavia took a deep breath. Althier. That was the key right? She needed to channel Althier. Althier was all around, in the very air they breathed. Devices like her vox performed magic by gathering Althier and casting the spells defined by what was engraved on the alther. This was the same thing, right? Except that Tavia was the one collecting the Althier, and she had no idea how to do that.

She looked down at the sword. When was the last time she had really held a weapon? It had been that time in the lab, in the RIOAR branch, hadn't it? During those tests. What was it the Artificers had said?

Breathe. Tavia took a deep breath. Very good. Now, tell me how you feel.

Sick. Like something had settled in the pit of her stomach. She remembered this feeling. This feeling and the voices telling her to breathe. Tavia's fingers tightened around the hilt of the sword, and her gaze lowered to the floor, ignoring the approaching Martial.

That's right. They had told her so many times, hadn't they? She had never listened, had never wanted to listen, because along with the things they told her, they made her do things. Things that hurt her, things that made her sick.

That sick feeling, slowly turning into a burning feeling, in her stomach and chest—that was Althier.

Tavia focused on that feeling. It wasn't comfortable, but right now she didn't have the luxury to care. She imagined the feeling, the Althier drifting through her body and into the sword through her hands gripping the hilt. She felt something connect, and the sick feeling in her body vanished.

The edge of the sword blazed to life. Althier, dense enough to be seen even in the bright hallway surrounded the entire edge of the blade. It flickered for a moment before stabilizing and the blue glow dimmed to the point of no longer blinding her when she stared at it.

Satisfaction and pride filled her, but it wasn't her own. She was feeling her own kind of glee at seeing the sword activate with her will, but it was distant and unsettled, overshadowed by the urgency of the situation. No, these emotions weren't hers; they belonged to Evos. He couldn't speak to her, but he was still able to communicate in other ways.

Tavia felt more Althier pass through her body. She was no longer controlling it. Was this what Evos meant by replacing an aura? Strength filled her body as Evos used the Althier to activate the spells on the sword. The weight of the sword became inconsequential, and she easily hefted the large weapon with one hand.

She turned to face the Martial. Meridian's expression had gone from unconcerned to grim when she saw the change in Tavia's demeanor and the light in the sword.

"You think some fancy light trick is going to save you?" Meridian asked as she raised her own sword.

Her aura, a golden color, wrapped around the hand holding the rapier. The gold lingered, flickering around her fingers as Meridian began to cast her magic. If what she was feeling was anything like what Tavia felt, then it was a heightening of the senses and weightlessness that accompanied a strength beyond anything normally attainable.

"Watch that edge," Ikarios called out. "You don't want to get hit by that, it's pure Althier. It'll hurt even us."

Even us? Meridian wasn't a Terrisian. She lacked both the dusky skin and the long ears, so what did Ikarios mean by 'us'?

Meridian nodded and then pointed her rapier's tip at Tavia's heart. She charged forward, moving at a speed difficult to follow even with Tavia's enhanced vision. Wasn't Meridian supposed to be trying to capture her? Or was she expecting Tavia to stop the attack?

Tavia brought her sword up to block the blade, but Meridian dipped the tip of the rapier down, aiming for Tavia's stomach instead. Tavia gritted her teeth and stepped to the side, twisting her body as she moved so the woman struck only air.

The Martial's charge led her past Tavia, and she struck at Meridian's back as she passed. She was too slow in her counter attack though, and the woman spun around to retaliate even as Tavia's swing finished its course. They fell into a pattern, weaving their attacks around each other. If Meridian was surprised at Tavia's skill with a sword, she didn't show it, but even if Tavia knew how to handle the sword, she didn't have the skill to handle Althier for long.

A wave of dizziness passed through Tavia, causing her to stumble. Alarm and fear flashed through her mind from Evos.

As she tried to settle the world around her, she saw Meridian swing the edgeless blade of her sword down in a direct path toward Tavia's head. There was no time to dodge, and no time to block. Tavia grimaced, time slowing as she watched the incoming blow. She needed to move, she needed to—

Blue light burned her eyes, and she felt like she was falling through an endless pit. Her senses recovered after only a moment, and her back struck something hard. The impact jarred the Ageless Sword from her hand, and it clattered to the floor. When the light faded, Tavia realized she was at the other end of the hall, closer to Ikarios, and Meridian was still swinging her sword at the empty space where Tavia had been until just a moment ago.

Her head hurt, and her back felt like she had been hit by a convei. She had somehow slammed into the wall with tremendous force. She sank to the floor, the dizziness and pain too much for her to keep her feet. She slid up against the wall behind her, and watched Ikarios who now stood only a few feet away. He was staring at her, his dark eyes wide. His mouth split into a grin and he bent over as he began to laugh.

"What the void was that?" he said between burst of laughter. "Evos, you sure this is the one you want to listen to? She can't even Jump without hurting herself."

Ikarios was looking at the Ageless Sword lying several feet away and well out of Tavia's reach. With the sword no longer in her hands, the strength it had given her was lost. The sword shone, and then Evos appeared in its place.

"That's none of your business," he snapped as he shot a dark look at Ikarios.

"Well, it's not like it matters. I think you'll be coming with us now," Ikarios said, folding his arms.

Tavia looked toward Meridian, trying to still her beating heart, and quell the panic in her chest. Meridian was approaching with wary steps, and the two Althiests behind her were pulling out their grimoires. Tavia was cornered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

273 48 30
Jason lives an average life in a simple town, with simple people where everything seems so easy, but his past remains shrouded in mystery. With the o...
1.4K 94 21
All Autumn has ever wanted was to be able to live a peaceful life, but there always seems to be something that gets in her way. Her life has been alw...
9K 793 51
(Complete) It's a shitstorm of fuckery where the good is good but also bad. The bad is bad but also... good? Follow Valery who is on the quest for t...
7.9K 1.3K 55
The world as we know it is controlled by Nobles - powerful wizards that have power over everything. It is the age of ice; a time of ages past, lost i...