Rewriting History (Obito x Re...

Od JillianJuneBug

You had always thought that Obito deserved better. In fact, you would have done anything to change the outcom... Viac

Reset
Inferiority
Making Time
That Mission
Implications
No Expectations
Regret
How Could You?
Realization
The Limit
Reminiscing
Hide and Seek
The Savior of This World
Darkness
Redemption
A Night Out
Sacrifices
Mutualism
Swelling Fire
The Uchiha Clan
The Ultimate Test
Anticipation
Fire and Earth
Misguided Judgement
Something Extraordinary
Tobi
Life Goes On
Awakening
Love in Its Purest Form
The Meaning of Peace
Superiority
A Shinobi's Resolve

Bonds

14.3K 639 602
Od JillianJuneBug

It had been a long time since your talk with Minato. He was now officially the Fourth Hokage and he kept his word to send out a special division to scout for Madara and Zetsu's hideout, much to the team's bewilderment and skepticism of why this team was formed in the first place. You and Minato decided to keep your knowledge of Madara and Zetsu between the two of you, so he created the scouting team under the pretense of searching for a special plant-like substance, one that has remnants of the First Hokage's legendary Wood Style Jutsu. The team was ordered to search for a cave outside the Land of Fire and retrieve the substance, as it would be invariably useful for the village. Of course, the real purpose for the scouting team was to hopefully stumble upon evidence of Madara and Zetsu while on their search.

As for you, it was the time for the Chunin exams again. You decided to wait a few years before trying again, but now, it was time. Obito insisted on helping you through it but was immediately kicked out by proctors after he was caught trying to sneak in through the air vent.

"What gives? I thought in the Chunin Exams you were supposed to cheat!" Obito's words fell on deaf ears.

The exams were much easier this year, especially The Forest of Death section. You attributed this to how you have had an extra few years of experience as well as the fact that there were plenty of new Genin kids who didn't quite know what they were doing, just like you during the first time taking the exams.

This time you passed. You couldn't hold your excitement as you feverishly pounded on Obito's door to show him your new Chunin jacket. Telling by his widespread smile and the way his eyes shut in pure delight, Obito was ecstatic. Therewas never a day where he didn't have utmost faith in you.

"Is that why you insisted on helping me pass again?"

"Qu-quiet! I just wanted to be 110% sure, there's nothing wrong with that!"

The two of you decided to celebrate at Ichiraku Ramen. Obito insisted that he pay for yours as congratulations for becoming a Chunin, like him. As you two chowed down, your mind began to wander to Madara and any plans to target Obito, which unknowingly put a somber look on your face.

"Something wrong with your ramen, (y/n)? You don't usually stop after only one. Not that I'm complaining since it's my treat this time!" hesaid between a laugh.

Your gaze bored a hole into the half-eaten bowl, and without removing your eyes from it, you spoke up. "Obito, I'm a Chunin now. So that means we'll probably go on missions together again, right?"

Obito's face lit up at the idea.

"Yeah, that's right! We can finally go on actual missions together! It's going to be so great! With your Earth Style and my Fire Style, we'll be unstoppable!" he exclaimed, unable to hide the excitement in his voice.

You cracked a smile at his enthusiasm, before it quickly diminished again.

"These actual missions are going to be risky, huh," you said more as a statement than a question.

Obito began catching on to your tone.

"Well, yeah. We'll actually be doing something meaningful for the village now," he replied with his excitement also diminishing.

"Obito. Have you ever thought about what would happen if one of these missions were too dangerous?"

"...What do you mean by that?"

"What if, say, one of your teammates got captured and maybe even killed on one of these real missions. Suppose it was me or Rin. Do you think you'd be able to handle that?" you asked, thinking back to the event that originally happened in the show.

You prevented it once. Could you really do it again?

"How could you say that?" Obito yelled loudly, his words clearly audible in the street outside the shop. "You shouldn't think about your comrades or yourself that way! Where'd this even come from, anyway? You've been weird lately, (y/n)."

Weird? I'm trying so hard to hide everything Minato and I talked about. I shouldn't be surprised. Obito knows me so well by now, of course he could see that something was up.

Before you could respond to Obito's concerns, an arm reached in to lift up the banners from the shop to reveal Kakashi standing there.

"Obito. (y/n). Lord Hokage needs to see us. Now." 

And just as quickly as he appeared, he left.

You and Obito exchanged quiet glances before paying and heading to the office together.

~~~

"Really? Do you mean that, Minato-sensei?" Obito questioned in disbelief. You, Obito and Kakashi were called to the office for the purpose of going on an A-rank mission together. It was uncommon for Chunin to go on such high level missions, but Kakashi's status as a Jonin allowed some leeway for the two of you.

Minato nodded. "Your task is to find a man named Akito Yamanaka, a former Hidden Leaf Shinobi who went rogue due to an altercation in the Yamanaka clan."

The Yamanaka clan... that's the clan Ino is from.

"He's incredibly dangerous. His clan's specialty is the mind transfer jutsu. Akito modified his clan's secret technique to form a special technique, one that is notorious for digging into your mind and destroying one's will."

Destroy one's will? Sounds like the Sharingan, the type that is able to put others in a spirit-crushing genjutsu.

"Alright, leave it to us!" Obito said enthusiastically as he began to head out the door, only to immediately stop.

"...Uh, but what should we do when we find him?"

Minato stared blankly at Obito.

"He wants us to assassinate him. Idiot." Kakashi finished Minato's thoughts.

Obito growled in irritation. "I've just about had it with –"

"Obito," Minato interrupted with a slightly raised voice.

"...Yes, sensei," he muttered, his agitated eyes directing toward the floor.

"Akito was last spotted in the Land of Fire. We suspect that he plans on returning to the Hidden Leaf to steal secrets from the Yamanaka clan, and possibly other secrets as well. Your task is to find and intercept him before he can react. Use this to guide you," Minato said as he handed you a map of the Land of Fire, where a specific area was highlighted.

"I suggest you start your search here. If he can't be found, go here," he added and pointed out the specified areas marked on the map.

"The Yamanaka clan is counting on you three."

"Yes, Lord Hokage," you and Kakashi said in unison. Obito was the one to break the synchronization with a, "Yes, Minato-sensei." The three of you then scattered.

"Lord Hokage, do you think it's really wise to send out friends against an enemy like that?" questioned Minato's assistant. "His specialty is severing bonds, after all."

"That's precisely why I had Kakashi join them on this mission," Minato stated, looking unconcerned. "Kakashi does have a bond with (y/n) and Obito. It's fragile, but it's there. But Kakashi is more level-headed than the other two. He's a decent safeguard just in case this doesn't work. However, I have confidence that it won't come to that."

"Just in case what doesn't work, sir?"

Minato's eyes narrowed, remembering the plans Madara had for Obito.

If this works, the bond between (y/n) and Obito will be stronger. Obito will learn to never lose hope with (y/n)'s help. He'd learn to control his despair. Madara will not influence this boy.

"I'm sending (y/n) and Obito for this mission specifically because I believe they have the ability to overcome such a unique adversary. The bond that (y/n) shares with Obito is exceptionally strong. He won't break them easily. I believe in them."

~~

The start of your first mission as a Chunin proved to be tough. Not tough in a sense where there was danger at every turn, but rather, tough on the levels of trying to find and catch a very stubborn – and deadly - stray cat. With Obito in charge of directions, the three of you scouted everywhere, crossing off areas marked on the map where you've already searched. There was one area left on the map that hadn't been checked yet, and it happened to be within close proximity to the village, right where you started.

"Why didn't we just look there to begin with? I mean, it's... right there," you chuckled, pinching the bridge of your nose as Obito passed you a pleading look.

"Don't tell Kakashi."

On the way there, your team came across a clearing completely devoid of trees. This was an anomaly since the closer you were to the village, the denser the forest became. Kakashi stopped in the middle of this clearing to scope out the area.

"What'd you find, Kakashi?" Obito inquired as Kakashi bent down to feel the ground.

"This space isn't natural," Kakashi claimed suspiciously, "Someone cleared this area for something, and by the looks of it, it must've been recent."

"But what for? Why would they choose this certain spot?" you asked, trying to make sense of it. "I don't understand." 

"Well, isn't that a surprise," Kakashi scoffed as he stood back up.

"And what exactly do you mean by that," Obito said threateningly as he stepped in front of Kakashi before he could walk off. Being 17 years old – two years older than Kakashi, Obito towered over him.

"Don't play dumb. It's no surprise that (y/n) has no idea what's going on."

Your fists clenched at his attempt to rile you up. You had no comeback for that; you didn't have the skill or the instinct to talk back to Kakashi. But he kept going anyway.

"The both of you are just weighing me down, her especially. I wanted to search alone and cover more ground, but it was (y/n) who decided that she was team captain and opted against it."

Kakashi's accusations gnawed at you. Tears pricked at the corners of your eyes in a dangerous blend of hurt and anger, threatening to boil over any second. You had put up with his condescending attitude for as long as you could remember, hoping that being the bigger person would cause him to come around eventually, but if he was any indication, it was wasted effort.

"Nobody is team captain on this mission, Kakashi. Don't act all high and mighty!" Obito spat as he began to narrow the gap between him and Kakashi aggressively.

"If we agreed to split up to catch Akito, then we wouldn't have wasted our time searching each place one-by-one," Kakashi voiced his thoughts, which sounded like ones that had been on his mind for some time.

Kakashi started to pass Obito and he was about to physically stop him before the ground began to shift around Kakashi's feet. Suddenly, a barrier made of mud rose and blocked off Kakashi's designated path.

~~~

~~~

"You hold on, Kakashi," you ordered, the unusual firmness in your voice catching him off guard.

"I get it. You think you have leeway to put me down every chance you get, and everyone else has to put up with it because you are just so tragic, and everything you say, you can get away with because you had such a hard life."

Kakashi stood there in silence, glaring at you with a look of distain in his eyes. Though it was unclear if he was revolted by you, or by himself.

"And you like to use me as the punching bag since I'm an easy target. Because I don't fight back, right? Well, have you ever stopped to consider the reason why I have to act this way around you?! Why I don't just fight back?"

Obito's eyes widened with shock at your increased confidence. You had both of their complete attention.

"Every time you made a jab at me, Kakashi. Every pointed glare, every time you shunned me, insulted my skills, my intelligence... I held back. I never said anything to hurt you back. Do you know why?"

Silence. As if you were expecting an answer, anyway.

"Because all these years I thought that if I swallowed my pride, then you'd eventually open up to me and we could be friends. All these years I never gave up on that idea." Your voice began to grow quieter with every word while tears formed at the corner of your eyes, signaling your fading confidence.

"but I think I just have."

You reversed the mud wall to let Kakashi be on his way after spilling everything you've wanted to say since you met the young Jonin. Though surprisingly, Kakashi didn't move. It was hard to see his reaction under that mask, but his tired eyes displayed hints of shame and regret.

Obito had the opposite reaction. He slowly and quietly walked toward you, his eyes never leaving your face. You were the first to break off your line of sight with him and instead opted to stare at the ground, tears dropping without restraint.

Obito then stopped directly in front of you, with your forehead barely reaching past his chin. You could feel his presence as he peered down at you, and slowly you began to lift your head up to meet his gaze, but before you could, warm arms promptly wrapped around your back and shoulders in a powerful grip. Obito held you firmly against him in a tight and strong embrace - one that wordlessly told you, 'I'm here. I'm so proud of you.'

It felt as though your heart stopped. You and Obito always had an overwhelmingly strong emotional connection, but outside of your usual fist bumps, playful brushing of the shoulders or occasional grabbing of the hands to lead somewhere, you and Obito generally kept your distance physically. This was done mostly to keep your feelings for him in check; being absolutely terrified of the heartbreak you were expecting from your best friend if you tried to strengthen your bond with him any further.

You tried so hard, but you had finally accepted that those efforts were entirely in vain as your arms raised and secured around Obito's back to return his sweet gesture. Voicelessly responding to his touch, your body silently told him, 'thank you.'

The moment passed too soon. Before you knew it, Obito eased his hold off you and stared at your face with reassuring and adoring eyes.

This is so unlike him, you thought. Well, I suppose the way I acted just now was totally unlike me, too.

Eventually the two of you turned to Kakashi who was watching the whole thing, still unmoved from the spot where you stopped him before. Your gaze was neutral, allowing him to soak in everything you had said. He peered up at your face and you saw a subtle change in his eyes before spotting movement in his mask as if he were about to speak.

"(y/n)," Kakashi began softly, "Look, I – Lookout!"

Kakashi's words were suddenly interrupted as a kunai darted out from one of the trees in the distance with it aiming straight toward you. The three of you leaped into the air to dodge, though while in midair you noticed Obito's arms tightly around you with a determined look on his face as he looked out into the distance. Just in case there were any more attacks, he was ready to defend you.

Landing back on the ground, a tall form emerged from the clearing as it casually yet confidently strolled up to the three of you.

"Hello, you three starchildren! How are you?" the form asked, making sure to emphasize every syllable he said. His voice did not match the mysterious figure at all.

"If you're gonna try and be chummy with us then why the hell did you attack us?" Obito questioned in irritation.

The form clicked his tongue at the Uchiha to indicate that he was unthreatened by his unfriendly demeanor. As the man got closer, the team was able to take in his features. The man had light, faded blond hair. He wore a tattered, unappealing purple gown that indicated that he had been on his own for a while.

"Now this is certainly odd, it's not often I get the pleasure of meeting young Genin around here. A little far from home, don't you think?"

Obito was entirely insulted by being mistaken as a Genin, as if it were the greatest dishonor. Before he could do anything brash, you spoke up.

"Hey, we're looking for a rogue ninja. Maybe you could help us out?" you asked innocently, earning baffled looks from both Kakashi and Obito, to which you added, "...What?" 

I wasn't supposed to say that on a secret assassination mission, was I? I'll remind myself to throw my Chunin vest in the trash after this.

"Now that is just too adorable. There's no way someone as naive as you could have any useful information, but it's been a while and my funds are getting low, so I guess I have no choice."

"Just tell us who you are already!" demanded the impatient Uchiha.

Why, I'm Akito Yamanaka, couldn't you tell by the hair?" he said as he combed through his bright locks proudly.

Akito Yamanaka. No way. It's him!

"Or perhaps, don't tell me you haven't heard of me?"

"Oh we've heard of you alright," Obito started. "We've been out for days looking for y-" The rest of Obito's words were mumbled after Kakashi's hand slapped over his mouth.

"Quiet down Obito, we need to take him by surprise," Kakashi instructed in a whisper so low that you barely heard any of it despite standing right next to them.

"-Take me by surprise, you say?" Akito confirmed, earning looks of pure shock from you and your team's faces.

"Now I know what you're going to ask. It's going to go something like, 'you can read minds? But I didn't see any hand signs,'" Akito said, using a mocking tone to poorly imitate Obito's voice.

"But that's not all I can do." Akito formed a couple hand signs at a lightning-fast pace before posing his index fingers and thumbs together.

"The Yamanaka's signature hand sign," you quickly muttered to yourself.

Before you could react, Akito directed his hands toward you. Suddenly your vision began to blur, and you felt increasingly weak in the knees. Looking over at you, Obito noticed you struggling and began calling out for you.

"(y/n), what's wrong? What's happening to you?" he begged for an answer as your legs continued to tremble before finally giving out, to which Obito bent down to hold you up without hesitation. The muffled voices around you grew worse, with you only making out parts of it –

"Careful Obito, we don't know what he's done to her –"

"I'm not going to just leave her vulnerable on the ground –"

"Think about this, if you get caught we will all –"

Eventually you couldn't make out any words, and you soon lost consciousness.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

64.7K 1.5K 32
Emilia Argens. What you see is a normal girl but behind her, she is a hardcore Naruto fangirl. She has for once, ceased existence and no longer in h...
61.1K 1.6K 30
KAKASHI X FEM! READER **THIS IS AN 18+ FIC, NO CHILDREN PLEASE** Y/N: When my brother Shisui was murdered, I was pulled out of the Anbu by the third...
24.2K 632 27
In this story I made Rin like Obito instead so that it will fit the fanfic better. Your features are optional, but you can base it off your parents i...
53.9K 1.1K 14
𝐊𝐚𝐤𝐚𝐎𝐛𝐢 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐎𝐛𝐢𝐊𝐚𝐤𝐚 𝐎𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭𝐬 All of them were written by me. I'll give a summary or some info before hand most of the time i...