Mine (Published in eBook) Ama...

By BethanyShayPorteous

FIRST FOUR SAMPLE CHAPTERS ONLY. www.bethanyshayporteous.com www.facebook.com/BethanyShayPorteous For most wo... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISH IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED N EBOOK

Chapter Three

34.2K 1.2K 117
By BethanyShayPorteous

www.bethanyshayporteous.com

www.facebook.com/BethanyShayPorteous

Chapter Three

Alpha Dean climbed out of the car smoothly and my eyes widened a little as I noticed he was the only one not dressed so stiffly. He wore a suit but no tie and the first three buttons on his shirt were not done. I wondered if my dad felt ridiculous.

He had thick brown hair, carefully styled. His skin wasn't pale but he wasn't tan either. His stubble looked as if it was a trademark to his look and not something he had forgotten to shave. He definitely looked his age which I think was about twenty-two and I knew my father would secretly detest that someone so young ran such a powerful pack. I briefly wondered how Brennan felt about that as well, being only two years younger than Alpha Dean.

He led the way first, adjusting his jacket. I found myself holding my breath as my wolf disappeared into the back of my mind, his powerful aura somewhat overwhelming. His steps were full of purpose as he came up the pathway.

The moment he stepped onto the porch was the first time he looked at my father, and the first time I got a close-up of his face in the flesh.

His eyes were so blue it was like staring into an abyss. He had thick eyebrows but his face wasn't as chiselled as the other wolves. He was handsome for his age but he wasn't the kind of guy I'd be attracted to. I myself fancied big arms and a cute butt.

"Lucky he isn't your mate then," my wolf told me.

"Mm lucky," I agreed.

"Alpha Dean," my father said warmly. I hadn't seen him speak so kindly in a very long time. "It's a pleasure and an honor to have you here."

The Alpha smiled and it transformed his sombre face. "The pleasure is all mine, Alpha Anderson. Thank you for having us."

"This is my Beta Phillip and his mate Polly, and their daughter Mary." My father gestured to his Beta's who all bowed their heads in respect. "This is my son Brennan and future Alpha," Brennan stepped forward and bowed his head.

"Ah, the future of Wyoming," Alpha Dean grinned. "A pleasure to meet you."

"I don't like him," my wolf whispered into my head. "Bad vibes."

"Shush!" I hissed.

"...My daughter Charlotte," my father said and for the first time his voice wasn't cold when he spoke of me. I looked at him in surprise before widening my eyes as the visiting Alpha appeared in my line of vision.

"Charlotte," he breathed out my name. I looked down at his outstretched hand and I hesitantly slipped it into his, noting the way he tightened his grip slightly. "A pleasure to finally meet you."

I racked my brain for something to say. I was confused at his intense stare and his tight hold. Did I mention Emily? Was that a stupid thing to do and if I did mention her and he got angry, my father would be beyond pissed. Deciding against it I settled on saying, "Likewise."

He released my hand and I slipped it behind my back discreetly. "It is a grand pleasure to be in Wyoming. My Gamma Allen Morson and his mate Callie, and in her stomach is the ever lovely Kathleen or Christopher." His voice was warm as he spoke of the unborn child and I was interested at how calm he was. Surely he had to feel a little threatened?

"Please come inside, Polly will show you to your rooms and then we can head to the pack building." My father led the way and I jolted when Alpha Dean walked past me, brushing his hand down my arm. What the heck?

Mary lingered behind with me and she grabbed me. "What the hell was that?"

"I have no idea..." I said in surprise. "I'm stunned. He just openly stroked my arm, what the hell is going on?"

"A creepfest?" Mary asked her eyes wide.

"I have no idea but something is going on here, and I intend to find out what that is."

They all left for the pack building and I hid in the laundry room until I knew it was safe and that Alpha Dean had left. I heard Polly come into the kitchen and I stepped out, in search of coffee and food.

"Charlotte!" Polly clutched her chest. "I didn't hear you."

I put on the coffee, shaking my head. The Omegas began to come in and prepare dinner and I worked around them, pinching some toast and strong coffee. "Good luck cooking," I told her.

"You're not helping?" She asked.

"Nope," I said with a pop of my lips. "You can butcher another dinner without my help."

"Charlotte," Polly sighed tiredly. "When are you going to bury your hatchet?"

I looked at her like she was stupid. Maybe she was. Did she not understand that I knew her secret? She had been creeping on my dad for years. Even with her mate she still couldn't get enough of my father. I left the kitchen without saying anything; instead I went upstairs and began packing my suitcase.

I wondered how long I'd have to wear this Stepford Wife outfit before it became appropriate to burn it.

"Whatchya doing?" Mary asked as she waltzed into my room.

"Preparing my leave. I'm going tomorrow at the first sign of light; I'm not staying for the rest of the freak show that is this visit." I zipped up the case and threw myself down on the bed, pulling open my phone. There was still no word from Ella but I had a couple of messages from Dane, mostly lame jokes and stupid memes.

"I can't wait to head back to New York," she murmured as she leafed through the yearbook she found under my dresser. "It's so vibrant there."

"It's so crazy that you fell into that life. You were such a recluse, now look at you." I shook my head and laughed, picturing the long, awkward blonde who had no fashion sense whatsoever.

"It wasn't hard. Hang out with the right group and you can be a New York girl very quickly." Mary threw the book at me. "Look at that photo."

I looked curiously at the image, laughing in surprise. "Prom?"

"Prom," she laughed.

We had both searched for ages for a dress to find, not telling the other what we would be wearing. We showed up wearing exactly the same thing.

"I should have been pissed that night, but I loved it. It just showed how close we really were," Mary smiled and took the book back. "Crazy times."

"Better times," I murmured.

"Yeah."

We stayed upstairs for the majority of the day. We ended up putting on movies and reminiscing about our long gone childhood. By the time the sun began to go down I had kicked off my shoes and unpinned my hair, relaxing to a point I hadn't been at since two years ago.

"Get downstairs before we get home," Brennan told me through the mind link. "Help Polly dress the table."

Mary must have got the same message because she sighed and got up, holding out her hand. I grumbled before taking it, slipping back into the annoying shoes.

"Are you going to put your hair back up?" Mary asked as she twisted her own.

"No," I told her. "I'm not a dress up doll for my father. I like my hair down and that's how I will wear it."

"Your funeral," she laughed as she pushed me toward the door.

We walked downstairs as the Omegas were leaving the house. I followed Mary into the kitchen in search of Polly who we found in the dining room, dressing the table. It looked nice, better than our Thanksgiving set up, maybe a little too extravagant.

"Need help mom?" Mary asked.

"Yes, can you bring out the food and place it in the center please." Mary did as she was told and so I walked over to the glass cabinet, removing the glasses we would need. "You don't have to help, Charlotte."

"Yes, I do. Brennan wants me to and I'm sure that was at the pleasant request of my father." I set the glasses down at the appropriate settings, inhaling the food as Mary brought it in. "Wow that actually smells good."

"Thank you," Polly said with a smile. I went over to the huge window to shut the curtain, only to have Polly stop me. "Leave it open Charlotte, the moon is full and your father will enjoy it."

I sighed and rolled my eyes but I left it. Instead I looked up into the sky, admiring the perfectly full moon, the stars around it sparkling clearly. There wasn't a cloud in sight tonight. Suddenly I felt off, and I could feel my wolf perk.

"What is that?" She asked in interest.

"I have no idea," I whispered. I was definitely being watched and my heart began to flutter a little from the feeling. I looked out into the darkness, trying to zone in on what or who was watching me. I couldn't see anyone.

"Charlotte." I squealed and spun around in fright, the sound of name having broken me from my intense search. Alpha Dean smiled, his hands raised. "Forgive me, I didn't mean to scare you."

My father walked in at that moment, followed by Beta Phillip and the visiting Gamma and his mate. Brennan walked in after them, a drawn look on his face and I frowned. What was the matter with him?

"Ah, I see dinner is ready." My father smiled at Polly whose face warmed and I noticed Beta Phillip's lips tighten the slightest. So he wasn't blind it seemed. I looked away from my father and back at Alpha Dean who was still staring intently at me and I began to feel uncomfortable.

What was his deal?

"Might we all take our seats?" My father asked, looking between Alpha Dean and me.

"Certainly," Alpha Dean said with a smile. He gestured for me to sit and I nodded at him hesitantly before taking my place beside Brennan. Both Alpha's sat at each opposite end of the table. Mary sat across from me, giving me a look.

In fact I got a lot of looks, especially from the Gamma's wife. She looked at me with curiosity and only stopped doing so if I looked back at her. A few of the Omega's had stayed back to serve us tonight, they all looked tense and it made me feel uneasy.

"Something is so off here," my wolf told me.

"I know."

"So tell me Charlotte, what is it you study at Brown?" Alpha Dean asked.

"History," I murmured.

"Ah, a History lover. I too am quite fond of the subject." Quite fond? How old did this guy think he was? "What are your intentions after you leave Brown?"

"Why so many questions?" My wolf asked and I could just picture her eyes narrowing.

"I want to be a teacher, I think," I told him honestly. "I enjoy learning and I enjoy teaching other people." He smiled down the table at me and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"I want to be a model," Mary announced with a smirk. "I think I'd be good at it, plus, imagine all the free clothes."

The Alpha's attention flickered to Mary and I noticed his eyes tightened a little. My father cleared his throat, setting down his spoon. "Maybe it's time for a second course."

Thankfully, over course two conversations switched from me to Alaska – as it usually did. Alaska had a name for itself amongst the werewolf world and it wasn't a good one. Built by rogues it was one of the most ruthless and powerful packs in America. The stories I had heard made me shiver when I thought of them.

"He's in Dakota for the trial," my father said. "Our borders will be extra patrolled."

"I don't think he'll bother with little old Wyoming," Alpha Dean said with a grin. "There's not much here to disturb."

My father seemed to bristle under his perfectly done suit but he kept his mouth shut, even though his pack had just been blatantly disrespected at his table.

The rest of the meal was tedious and Alpha Dean kept asking me so many questions I felt like I was on a public date with him. By the time we reached dessert he had spoken to me and only me, and the table was far too quiet when he seemed to run out of questions.

"Well, now that dinner is over and I have abided by your set conditions, Alpha Anderson, I'd appreciate if we could now abide by mine." I raised my eyebrows at Alpha Dean who stared down the table at my father. Brennan hung his head and Mary frowned in confusion while everybody else seemed to know what was going on.

"Charlotte," my father said. I looked at him in surprise, noting the resigned look in his eyes. "Would you please come into my study so we can have a word?"

"Eh?" My wolf snapped in confusion. "What?"

"I don't know...I don't have a good feeling about this at all."

I did as I was told though. I set my napkin over my plate and got up, following my father to his study. I looked behind my shoulder in surprise when I noticed Alpha Dean following us, and his Gamma. I looked ahead, ignoring his smile and headed into my father's office, sweating. I hadn't been in here in years.

It was still as clean as it always was. Not a piece of paper or pencil out place. His bookshelves were stuffed with books, all organized by genre. I sat in the seat he directed me to and waited for him to speak.

The door shut with a quiet click and my father sighed, as both Alpha Dean and his Gamma took a seat also.

"Charlotte," my father began in his business voice. "As you know, Wyoming has never been a notable pack. We're one of the smallest in fact, and we've had a lot of threats recently to our lands. We've lost a lot of fighters trying to defend them. We can't keep allies because we aren't seen as a firm investment and we don't make enough money being on our own." He sat down in his chair, rubbing his chin. "A few weeks ago Alpha Dean reached out to me in the hopes of creating an alliance. Through this alliance we would have safety, being allied to one of the largest packs in the US and we'd circulate more of an income."

He was silent and I looked around the room at Alpha Dean and the Gamma, who looked from my father to me. "Okay?" I said finally. "And?"

"I fail to see how this has anything to do with us," my wolf told me, sounding confused.

"I'm sure he's getting to it."

"This alliance would be unique and one that would be set in place for life." My father stood up, smiling for the first time genuinely at me. "All would be forgotten Charlotte, all your wrongdoings, you would be helping your pack and doing your duty. Not running off to Brown and hiding from what you are."

"Excuse me?" I bristled, my heart rate spiking.

"This alliance would be achieved through you mating with Alpha Dean," he finished. My eyes widened in shock and disgust. My wolf recoiled in my head and my skin crawled. I stood up quickly, stumbling in my shoes.

"What?" I demanded, feeling my panic rising. "That is not legal! I have a mate out there, a real mate. This is disgusting," I spat out in Alpha Deans direction. "I was best friends with your mate, how could you even want to do something like this?"

"Your friendship with Emily will benefit your relationship Charlotte," my father said. I looked at him as if he had four heads. Was he stupid? "As for your mate you should have found him by now Charlotte or he should have found you." My father looked at me fiercely. "I'd say it was safe to say your mate is either dead or has no interest himself in finding you."

"I'm going to kill him!" My wolf growled into my mind.

"Wow. So you just go ahead and barter me off like I'm some horse at an auction?" I could feel my anger rising and my eyes began to glow amber. Alpha Dean rose then, taking my arm in his hand. I shook it off, snarling at him. "Don't touch me!"

"Charlotte, you'll do best to remember your place!" My father growled, slamming his hand down on his desk.

"I will not mate this man who was the mate of my best friend. I won't do it; you can't make me do it! I will not be some tool you can use so you don't have to face the fact that you're a weak Alpha!" I spat out, stepping backward from Alpha Dean who wore a thinly veiled smile. "I am waiting for my true mate and I will find him mark my words."

"You will do this Charlotte, even if I have to force you down the aisle myself!" My father looked livid. His face was red and he was sweating bullets.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I felt tears of frustration and betrayal welling up in my eyes. "I know that you hate me but for the love of the Moon Goddess, I have a real mate out there – and I know he is out there! I will kill every one of you, so help me I will if you try and take that away from me."

"Charlotte," Alpha Dean's voice was soft. "Think of your pack. You are an Alpha wolf by blood and you have a duty to take care of your pack." He took my hand in his, stepping closer. "I will make you very happy."

I yanked it from his grasp, staring at him in disbelief. "What fucking planet are you on?"

"Charlotte!" My father growled furiously.

He straightened his jacket, before sitting back down, not looking the slightest bit fazed by my outburst. "It has been decided Charlotte, you will partake in this alliance willingly or not."

"What the hell!" My wolf snarled. "Let me out, I want to kill this sick asshole!"

I put my hand to my head to silence my wolf, swallowing the thick saliva in my throat. "What is happening right now?" I whispered more to myself than the room. "This isn't happening," I breathed. "This is just a horrendous dream and I will wake up from it."

"Charlotte," my father's voice broke into my chant. I looked at him with tear-filled eyes and resentment. "When Alpha Dean leaves in a week you will be going with him."

I sucked in a painful breath, trying to control my breathing. "I have college! I'm leaving tomorrow!"

"You aren't going anywhere," he told me calmly. "I have unenroled you."

"What?" I demanded, flabbergasted. My breaths were coming shorter, I couldn't breathe. It hurt to breathe. My skin crawled and my stomach clenched like I was going to throw up.

"She's having a panic attack," the Gamma said from beside me, his hand on my back. "Charlotte you need to calm down. Take deep breaths, listen to my voice."

I was a sobbing, panting mess. I tried desperately to get my breathing under control but it was too hard. I was terrified. My life had been thrown on its ass way too quickly and I wasn't ready for it.

"Charlotte!" My father yelled suddenly, the Alpha command lacing his tone. My wolf listening instantly and in turn so did I. "I order you to calm yourself." His words had instant impact, my breathing leveled out as my wolf willed us to do what our Alpha requested. "I order you to get to know your future mate in the time you have of this week before your mating."

"Please dad," I pleaded, feeling the command coat itself around me. I didn't want this, I couldn't do this. It was wrong on so many levels. I had to do something, I had to leave.

"I ban you from shifting until you leave with Alpha Dean." His voice was full of authority and my wolf instantly submitted herself to his will and I cried as I found my neck slowly exposing itself as my human side submitted also.

The room was silent and all that could be heard were my shaky breaths as my father's orders ran through my body and I only had one thought in my mind.

I had to get out of here. 

Copyright© 2016 by Bethany Shay Porteous. All Rights Reserved.    
www.bethanyshayporteous.com

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 4.9K 24
beta jason is a very ruthless beta. of course not as ruthless as his alpha (alpha kane) but he is very feared around the world. his best friends alp...
637K 15.3K 32
Grace Anderson was left packless and without a family when the most ruthless Alpha to walk on earth decided to avenge the death of his dead father, w...
27.8K 1.3K 53
"Love me or hate me, both are in my favor..." Kayla was 9 days old when her father promised her to Damian, who was 18 months old when his father pro...
169K 8.4K 25
Mckayla had lost everything. Her pack. Her control. Her humanity. All because she desired another women. Nina, who was her best friend. First crush...