Chronicle

By MKitton2208

A collection of Short Stories, or random bits of writing. More

The Haunted Castle
The Mist
Beneath the Waves
Clusters
Stranger
A month in the life of...
Without You
I See You There
Remember
You
Down
A Trip into Darkness
Beauty and the Beast Remade
Melody and Oscar
Tulips in Spring
Laura and Jake

Left Behind

4 3 0
By MKitton2208

My head was bent downwards as I battled the wind. Despite my hair being pulled back into a messy bun, it was slowly falling out, the odd strand or two billowing like smoke.

But I didn't care. I was far too focussed on the task at hand.

My friend was leaving, and I wanted to surprise her before she left; which was why I was walking down the street at three o'clock on a Sunday morning.

Then the rain started, and I sighed, my breath rattling. Admittedly the rain was light, and more like sea spray, but it still soaked into my clothes.

I checked my watch, the hands illuminating in the darkness, picked up the pace. There was only five minutes left to my walk, and I didn't want to miss Freya and her family.

But luckily for me, when I arrived at the farm house, only one light was on. The kitchen light.

I smiled softly. Freya was up, and most likely making herself a hot chocolate before she woke her mother and younger brother up; she needed the energy to perk up, I knew.

I knocked on the door, taking care to not be so loud in case anyone was still asleep.

I heard the chair in the kitchen scrape across the floor, and I watched the hallway light filter out the opaque window on the front door. H

er shadow blocked some of the light. I shivered, and I wrapped my arms around myself to try to warm myself up, even if it didn't do a lot.

The lock clicked, and the door opened cautiously. A gasp followed.

'Ebony?' Freya asked in disbelief.

I laughed gently.

'Can I come in or no?' I joked, my teeth chattering.

Yeah, yeah, come in. I'll make you a tea.'

Freya ushered me inside, and I sighed at the wall of warmth that hit me. 'Thanks Freya.'

I took my jacket off and hung it up on the rail. I swallowed sharply as I took in the lack of coats on the rail, the lack of shows on the shoe rack, the lack of furniture in the front room. It was all empty, except from the last pile of boxes.

That was because they had moved a majority of their belongings last week; they were taking the last few bits with them today when they left for good. I wished that they could be delayed, even if it was for just one more day.

I followed Freya into the kitchen, where she was already pouring hot water into a mug. She placed the brewed tea in front of me, taking a sip of her own hot chocolate.

'What the hell are you doing here?' She asked. I hid my smile.

The reason they had decided to leave so early in the morning was because they knew no one would wake up, or stay up, to see them off.

'Seeing you off.' I answered as though it was a normal thing to walk across town so early in the morning.

'But, it's like, gone three in the morning... and you start work at six!' She exclaimed, before quietening down. I figured her mother (Susanne) and her younger brother (Matt) were still asleep.

'I know, but I can't let you leave without properly saying goodbye. I know you had the party, but... I wanted to see you off.' I finished weakly, not really having much of an argument to make.

Thinking about it now, I never did. I had just wanted to say goodbye in my own way, and this was the only way I could think of to do it.

'Thanks Ebony.'

We drank in silence, the quiet of the house seeming eerie. I remembered when music would either be blasted down the stairs, or the quiet melodic sound of Susanne playing the piano trickled through the walls.

There was none of that today. Just empty rooms and a huge empty farmhouse. I shivered, and took a sip of my tea.

***

Susanne and Matt emerged ten minutes later, both of them shocked that I was there. They didn't question it though, instead they hugged me and thanked me for turning up.

The next hour and a half were spent loading up the car, making sure they didnt leave anything behind.

Freya played her playlist on Spotify, and the four of us sang throughout the duration of the task, laughing and just having a great time.

It all ended when the music shut off. Matt picked up the last tiny box from the kitchen table, and the four of us wordlessly vacated the house.

Her mother locked the door for the last time, leaving the old key in the lock.

She smiled softly at me. 'Thanks for all your help Ebony, we really appreciate it.'

She wrapped an arm around Matt's shoulders, and they walked over to the car, climbing in. Then they waited.

I turned my head, my eyes landing on my best friend.

Freya stood in the front garden, staring at the house with longing in her eyes. I walked over and stood beside her, sliding my hands in my pockets. The sun was beginning to rise behind us, casting a light glow over the house.

'Do you remember when we stayed up all night singing along to the Greatest Showman?' Freya said quietly.

I smiled.

'Yeah. And we pigged out on so much chocolate and fizzy drinks.'

'Yeah.' Freya whispered, a catch to her voice. I swallowed again.

'You know, it's not the end, right?' I said, watching her out of the corner of my eyes.

'It's the end for us staying here though.'

I had no response. I guess it had been the wrong to say.

'Sorry.' Freya laid her head on my shoulder.

'It's fine.'

We stood in silence, admiring the house. It held so many memories, some good, some bad. It held memories of sleepovers, of parties, or family get togethers. Of secrets. Of literally everything.

And now it was empty. Now it had nothing to it.

The car honked, and the pair of us jumped. I turned slightly to look, seeing the distraught look of Susanne. I knew that she didn't want to ruin the moment, but I knew that they had to leave.

'You need to go Freya.' I said softly, sighing as she lifted her head from my shoulder.

'I don't want to.'

I took a deep breath, my eyes welling with tears.

'You're going.'

My voice broke, despite how much I wished it wouldn't.

I faced her, watching her hang her head. My heart broke.

I knew she didn't want to leave. Given the choice, I knew she would've stayed, but they had no choice; that was the unfair thing.

'I'm gonna miss you Ebony.'

She had lifted her head by this point, and I chuckled weakly at the tears staining her rosy cheeks, her grey eyes that swam with emotion.
Her strawberry blonde hair blew about her face in the slight breeze, the wind having died down for the moment.

'I'll miss you too.' I said, refusing to let Freya see me cry.

I pulled her in tight for a hug, my hands clutching her pink hoodie tightly. She trembled in my arms. I trembled in hers.

'Drive safe.' I whispered as she walked away.

She hesitated at the door to the car, turning around to look at me. In some ways, I wish she hadn't.

'You'll come up for my birthday, right?'

She sounded unsure, like she thought I wouldn't keep in contact with her. She was delusional, always had been. I laughed to myself.

'I wouldn't dream of missing it,' I called with a smile.

She hesitated for one more second before she climbed in and shut the door.

I stood in her drive, walking slowly behind the car as it pulled away.

The car honked once.

I waved.

From my point of view, the car seemingly drove into the sunrise, tears freely sliding down my cheeks.

The wind picked up, seemingly blasted my cheeks from my face.

My watched suddenly beeped. I looked down. Five in the morning.

I had to be at work in an hour. I took one last look before I walked away, head bent downwards as I battled the wind.

Left behind. As always.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78 2 10
A collection of short horror, sci fi and other wierd tales.
200 2 3
A story bout spending the holidays in your hometown, reuniting with your childhood crush and timing not always being on your side.
2.2K 89 28
Short stories that what ever come up in meh brain :3 HUGE WARNING! My story mostly have sex scenes and more stuff not appropriate for lil'ones.someti...
491 8 27
These are just little shorts stories that come into my mind, or I get from writing prompts. Or get ideas from songs, sometimes even a scene or line f...