Laura and Jake

'What's this?'

He's holding out a cup of water, but there are things floating around.

'It's water with lemon rind – meant to be healthy.' He pulls a face as he says it.

Oh yeah. The faerie diet. 'You know I can't drink this?'

He puffs a breath and slips the cup inside his leather jacket – I still don't know how faerie magic works. Bastard won't tell me. 'I tried, Laura. I tried.' Then he grins.

I grin too. 'It's good to see you,' I offer. For a brief moment, I'm ashamed of what I'm wearing when he looks so good. Then I remember I haven't got a choice. It has to be this way, for the sake of everyone else.

'Yeah yeah, you too.' His yellow eyes sparkle.

I hate how bright they are. I love how bright they are. They're so obvious and I don't get how he hasn't been found out. I look all around me. No one. 'Why did you want to meet me here?' I ask. 'Anyone can see us – we're not even meant to know each other exists.'

He comes closer. 'I needed to see you,' he says. 'I really needed to see you.'

'Why?'

'Does there have to be a reason?'

And I swear my heart breaks.

***

'I do have a query though,' Jake says into the ether. Neither of us has spoken for a while, so it makes me jump.

'And what query would that be?'

'Your clothes... they're always so worn.'

'That's not even a question.'

'I know I know! Im getting to it,' he says.

'I don't have the time to hang around in empty parking lots with a faerie! It's dangerous!'

'You know I'm not like that.'

'I know this side of you. I don't know the other... now either ask me the question, or I'm getting the hell out of here. I can't let anyone see.'

He gives me a look, a soft one, one I've never seen a faerie wear before. I admit, it relaxes me. It calms me down. I wish it wouldn't.

'Why do you wear such old clothes? Why don't you go for something a little less... worn.'

Is he serious? I can't –

'The fact that you asked that question tells me you don't listen to a word I say.' He's serious – I can tell from that perfect look on his perfect face that he knows perfectly nothing about me.

'What? Laura – '

'It was a mistake, coming here,' I say. 'It was a mistake trying.' He said he wasn't a liar... he said he was different; they all say that though, don't they? I back away, nearly tripping over my own feet in the process.

'Wait – what did I do?'

Even the fear in his voice sounds perfect. That's what it is. Perfect. His lies. They're perfect. All too perfect... it sucks that it's taken me until now to realise that. I pull my ratty cardigan tighter around me. It doesn't do anything anymore, but at least I can act like it does.

'Nothing, Jake.' My voice trembles. I knew this was a bad idea. Everyone always tells me how hurtful a faerie can be. Everyone tells me how they're not to be trusted. 'You did nothing.'

I leave him standing in the empty parking lot. Who knows. Maybe he genuinely didn't know. Maybe he missed what I said last week. But I know better.

Faeries aren't to be trusted.