New Beginning

By GeekOfManyForms

Unlike her twin sister, Elena, Elara Gilbert never quite fit in. Heck, how could she when this was at least t... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Fifteen

849 37 2
By GeekOfManyForms

A/N: Please, let me know what ya think of the development between Elara and Damon. When I write I only plan out the basics of my storyline, the rest just flows from me. So, sometimes what happens comes as a surprise to even me. Thanks to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, you all rock! Keep it up, please. It helps me understand how the story and Elara are being perceived I want to make sure that everyone understands who she is and her history. This chapter has been edited by my Beta Casey.

I pulled into Caroline's driveway, my eyes swimming with tears. I could barely breathe, every intake of breath came with a strangled moan of pain. I gripped the steering wheel forcefully, my knuckles turning a pinkish white. Slowly, I let go and lifted my hand, striking the wheel over and over, screaming until my throat felt like it was blistering. I'm not sure how long I sat there before I heard the door open beside me, but suddenly I was no longer alone. I leaned into Caroline's embrace, her hair sticking to my wet face.

"Oh, sweety, what happened? Elena called to make sure you were here, and I looked outside to find you like this,"

She held me tightly to her chest, whispering soothingly. I shook my head wildly, gasping out a wet cry, soaking her shirt with my tears. I clenched my fist tightly, trying to control the torrent of tears that refused to stop. Caroline reached behind my seat and pulled my bag past us, sitting it on the ground outside before gently wrapping her arms around my chest.

"Ok, let's get inside. We don't wanna freak out my mom..."

I let her pull me from the car, keeping my face on her shoulder, needing her comfort like I needed air. Everything was catching up with me — Vicki, Damon, and Jeremy. It was all too much. I kept my arms wrapped around Caroline's waist as she led me inside her dark house.

"Moms in her room for the night, so try to stay quiet. Bonnie is in my room though, she decided to spend the night," she whispered. "lucky right?"

I didn't have the strength to make a sound. Usually, I would have scoffed at the serendipitous turn of events. Still, all I could think about were my last words to Elena. They had been cruel. Caroline opened the door to her room, and Bonnie rushed to our side, her arms outstretched.

"Oh my god! What happened to her?"

She pulled my hair out of my face and ran her thumbs over my puffy eyes. I sniffled pitifully and tried to keep the waterworks at bay.

"She did it. She took them from him. She didn't even ask for his permission," I said, my voice raw.

I looked at both of them and slowly walked to Caroline's bed, very reminiscent of a zombie. I plopped down and raised my hand, closing my fingers against my palm. The door swung closed swiftly, Caroline's hair floated around her in the breeze it left behind. She squealed loudly, her face coloring pink. I turned my head and watched her closely, this would determine the rest of our friendship, it would make or break us. I could have handled things better, but to be honest, I had no strength left in me to coddle anyone else.

Caroline backed away from me slowly, her pink cotton nightgown bunching up around her thighs. She hit the wall and her hair frizzed out around her, almost looking as panicked as she did. She looked between me and Bonnie, who stood off to the side of the room, her hands firmly at her side, gripping her blue shorts tightly and pointed her manicured finger at me. "You did that with your hand," she stated firmly.

I blinked twice, giving her a minute to think and nodded. "Wanna see something else?" I asked, twirling my finger around and around like Matilda, with a smile.

Caroline placed her palms on the wall behind her and pushed herself forward, stepping closer to me. "You can do more?" she hesitantly asked.

I stayed seated, treating her like a skittish mare, I didn't want to startle her.

"Yes, I can. I'm a witch, Caroline. One of the first witches ever created," I said calmly.

Bonnie stepped closer to me and sat down on the bed near my knees. "One of the first? How is that possible" she asked in confusion, her face incredulous.

I patted the spot on the other side of me, and Caroline slowly sat down. I leaned my head against her shoulder and smiled so brightly my cheeks hurt when she placed her cheek on my head. So far, so good.

"Well, to be completely cliche. It all started with a love story," I said with a long-suffering sigh.

The next two hours were spent filling Caroline and Bonnie in on my entire story. Well, minus the Original Vampires, Niklaus's curse, and Katherine — some things were better left till later. When all was finally said I threw myself backward and landed with a loud 'humph' of breath. Both girls remained seated where I had left them. I looked at Caroline's popcorn plastered ceiling and let my mind wander, tracing shapes while they processed all the information I had given them. Hell, it's a lot to take in. Caroline placed a hand on my knee, and I tried not to go stiff with the stress of the moment.

"So, Damon and Stefan are vampires?" she laid down next to me and started picking at a loose thread on the quilt. "And you were once engaged to a human Damon?".

I turned my head and brushed my hair out of the way so I could look at her. "Yes, and Yes. Also, Stefan doesn't drink from humans. Oh, and Damon is an ass, yes, but deep down, he is still a good man,"

I wasn't sure if I really believed that anymore, but I wanted to. Caroline's blue eyes filled with tears, and she sniffed loudly.

"I am so sorry, Ellie!" she cried, cuddling up close to me, "I totally broke girl code!"

I shook my head lightly and kept still. What was happening? How was she not scared? Then it hit me, Damon had yet to fixed his little compulsion trick. Dammit. I hugged her and kissed her head, laughing. "Caroline, that was centuries ago. It's ok, I forgive you," I laughed.

Bonnie laid on my other side and looked at me. Her face was severe. "Damon needs my necklace. He tried to take it tonight," she quietly said.

I leaned my head to her shoulder. "I know. You need to speak to Emily. She can tell you why," I said.

Bonnie's eyes widened, and she nodded slowly. "I can't believe Elena did that to you and Jeremy, but she really was only doing what she thought was best, El," Bonnie whispered.

I turned my head from her and rolled over. I didn't want to hear anyone defend my sister right now. "I don't want to talk about Elena, ok? Please," I told them both.

There was silence, and I let out a sigh of peace. "Watch this, Care Bear,"

I lifted my hand and placed my thumb and finger together, with a quick snap, her room fell dark, except for the sparkling constellations that covered her ceiling. We all looked up at the colorful lights, watching as stars darted across the inky darkness.

"How?" she gasped in awe.

I looked at her face and watched the awestruck expression shine in her blue eyes. I wanted to capture this moment and preserve it in my memories. I would need it when I could no longer have her. She watched the constellations twinkle, her pale skin blue in the starlight. These were the moments that made it so impossible to let go, to allow the curse to take effect.

As they watched the stars, I watched Caroline. During my multitude of centuries, I had found many friends, but Caroline was different. She was faithful and loved me, no matter what. She had found me when I had locked myself away, trying to just get by until the end, and she had forced me to live. Caroline saved me when no one else could. I would miss her - the idea of never seeing her again was like losing a part of me. I felt something slide over my skin and looked down to find Bonnie's hand in mine. I stared into her green eyes and felt tears spill down my face.

"Magic," Bonnie said.

I laid my head on Caroline's shoulder as a shooting star passed across her ceiling and closed my eyes.

"Magic," I whispered.

We all watched the stars in comfortable silence for a while, which naturally, Caroline was the first to break.

"What does it feel like, having this sort of power?"

Caroline turned her head and looked into my eyes. Her face was blazing with curiosity. "Do you feel all-powerful and badass all the time, like, untouchable?" she whispered reverently.

I took her hand in mine and ran my finger across her silver bracelet, the heart clinking against my fingernail.

"There's something you need to understand, Care," I said, leaning onto my elbow and looking down at her face. "There is always a price for using magic. It isn't a cure-all for everything. There are many things I can't do, and there is no other witch like me,"

I looked over my shoulder at Bonnie. She needed to remember this, new witches always tried to test the boundaries of magic, and it always ends up biting them in the ass. Even I had gone through a 'magic is might' phase, and I nearly killed myself when I burnt through too much of my power at once. I wasn't the same type of witch as Bonnie, so I didn't have the same limitations. When it comes to magic, some things are ever the same. One of those things is:

You don't mess with the powers of the dark.

"There are consequences when a witch tries to delve into things she shouldn't, Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch, and her creations were meant to keep balance. So, when a witch decides to break the rules, she is punished. Harshly," I added, making a fist and placing it in my other palm for emphasis.

I laid back down between them. Bonnie had a thoughtful expression on her face, but I could also see the fear in the way the corner of her eyes crinkled. Caroline leaned into me and placed her chin on my collarbone.

"Well, I recommended none of us to piss off Mother Nature, she already curses us once a month, and I for one don't intend to get on her bad side," she said.

I laid my hand on my forehead and giggled madly. "You are insane," I said in between gasps.

----------------

I spent the next few days at Caroline's house. I told Jenna I needed some time away, and she seemed to understand. I decided not to speak to Elena or Jeremy. I didn't want to see her, to hear her try and justify what she had done, and I was afraid of precisely what Jeremy had been compelled to believe. I knew that eventually, I would need to come to terms with what had happened and move on, but that wasn't right now. Finally, Bonnie and Caroline put a stop to my hiding out, and I was forced to concede. So, I decided to start with Caroline's compulsion.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, her teeth clenched together.

I grasped her wrist and pushed her out of her bathroom, smiling serenely. "Give me a minute first, Care. I sorta have been...drugging you," I said.

Her face turned cherry red, and I raised my hands in the air when she took a deep breath to start yelling at me. "My intention was good, I promise. It's only vervain," I said, opening her water filter system and showing her the clumps of a wet green plant.

Caroline paused, the color of her face receding. "That's the stuff that is supposed to protect us, right?" she asked.

I nodded quickly, and she sighed in resignation.

Bonnie slid into the bathroom and scrunched up her nose in distaste, but I could see she was intrigued all the same. "Clever," she said.

I smirked and shrugged. "I thought so. No coffee anymore either, at least not at home. We have to wean you off the vervain so Damon can fix his fuck up," I said, dropping the gooey plant into a small jar on the counter.

I spread it out so it could dry evenly and froze when I looked up to find two sets of eyes watching me. "What? Something is telling me we may have a shortage soon," I said, rubbing my temple.

Bonnie's eyes narrowed, and she touched Emily's amulet.

Caroline slid into the bathroom and huffed deeply. "Ok, can I take care of my business now?"

I smiled sweetly and slipped out of the bathroom. "Let the water run for a few minutes before hopping in," I called out as Caroline closed the door.

I turned to Bonnie and noticed she was still holding Emily's amulet.

"Can you hand me my purse?" I asked her.

She reached behind Caroline's door and handed it to me. I took out my phone and was about to make a call when I saw the date. "Damn," I said with a deep sigh.

Bonnie looked over my shoulder and frowned. "What?" she asked, confused.

I looked at her and pouted. "It looks like my next stop is the Salvatores," I looked at the date one last time and placed my phone on my forehead. "Ugh, I might as well give him his gift. Its an excuse to make up with him...sorta," I said, placing my phone into my bag and pulling the strap over my head.

Bonnie narrowed her eyes at me and cocked an eyebrow. "What?" she asked in irritation.

I ran for the door and looked over my shoulder. "Stefan's birthday. I'll catch up with you guys later," I said.

I hopped into my car and drove to the Boarding House. I slid into their drive, humming along to a Bon Jovi song with a smile on my face. Snapping my finger, a jet black gift bag and card landed in the seat next to me. He was lucky I had already ordered him a gift before he helped pull the stunt with Jeremy. I lifted the gift bag into my lap and fluffed the graveyard-patterned Over The Hill tissue paper. I popped open the glove box and grabbed a pen, writing on the card's envelope in large cursive letters,

'Happy Birthday, old man!'

I signed my name on the tombstone-shaped joke card in the same loopy, whimsical script, then slid the envelope inside the bag to where only a corner stuck out. I trotted up the drive and stepped inside without knocking, swinging the gift bag in my hand playfully as I made my way towards Stefan's room. I didn't really care to see Damon, and I secretly hoped he was not home.

Outside Stefan's door, I heard movement from inside the room and stopped in my tracks. Voices. Who was the birthday boy playing with?

"Boo." one of the voices said.

Was that Damon?

I grabbed the doorknob and pulled open the door slowly. Before I even had the door open halfway, I heard his next words.

"Hello, Lexi."

Lexi!

I swung the door open with force and squealed loudly. "Lexi?" I said, running inside.

Lexi flung herself from the bed, her long blonde braid flying out behind her. Her eyes were round, her silver hooped earrings swinging wildly.

"Elanor?" she said, walking towards me.

I nodded with glee; it had been so long. I had found her with Stefan once in New York, but hadn't approached them. I didn't want Stefan to recognize me. Luckily though, a century ago, in my previous life, I had been going on my final year and happened to run into Lexi in Vancouver. She had made the end of my life one of fun. We ended up in Italy, and before I left, I had decided to tell her everything. Lexie was trustworthy. She had been quite shaken when I explained my curse and history with Damon and Stefan, but then she had decided it was fate. The two of us remained the best of friends.

"Your hair is so much longer," she pulled a few curls out towards her. "Still bright red, though. So, I see you couldn't run forever," she said, smugly.

I pulled her into a hug and shook my head. "No. It seems the past has finally caught up with me. Just as you predicted." I stepped away and looked at her closely, my face serious. "You haven't aged a day," I said.

Lexi laughed brightly, her face red. I walked away from her and dropped Stefan's gift on his bed. The black bag blending in with his headboard. I sighed and picked it up, moving it to his bedside table.

"Vampires and the color black." I shook my head with mock irritation. "Of course, I can't say much, it is my favorite color. Always has been," I said, turning around.

Damon was lying on the other side of the bed, watching me closely. His gaze moved up my body, stopping at my eyes, and then moving to the gift bag. I looked away from him, and he sat up quickly.

"So, I take it, you two know each other?" he snarkily asked.

I smiled at Lexi and snapped my fingers, starting Stefan's CD player. Lexie spun into to me, wrapping a leg around my waist, dancing dirtily. She dropped her leg, and I bent over giggling madly, before matching her move for move.

"Yeah, I know, Ella. We met in Vancouver about a century back. We spent a year traveling together, drinking and dancing. One of the best years of my life," Lexi said.

Damon stood from the bed and pointed at me. "You spent a year partying with...Ella here?" Damon asked his eyes narrowed, he spat out the foreign name with contempt.

I shut off the music and leaned against Lexi. "Oh, get that judgy look off your face Damon. I was a year off from dying, and I had no family. When Lexi came along and offered me exactly what I needed, I took her up on it." I wrapped an arm around Lexi and smiled up at her. "She offered me fun, something I didn't get very often." I glared Damon when he scoffed and rolled his eyes."Fun Damon, ever heard of it? Or are you too busy with revenge?" I asked, my voice stiff.

Damon leaned in and smiled down at Lexi. "Maybe not Lexi's version. Teach me to have fun, Lexi," he said with a smirk.

I jerked back as Lexi flew forward, pinning Damon to the bed, her hand on his throat. "I'm older, and that means stronger," Lexie spoke close to his face. Her breath fanning his hair.

"Sorry," Damon rasped. He laid still his face scrunched up with pain.

"Don't ruin my time with Stefan and Ella, cause I'll hurt you," she leaned down to his ear, and I shuddered on his behalf. She was terrifying in her own right. "And you know I can do it," she whispered, yanking her hand from his throat and stepping away from him.

"Yeah," he groaned.

She stood next to me and brushed my hair from my shoulder with a smile. "Sorry, I know what he meant to you," she murmured.

I watched Damon as he rubbed his neck, he looked at me, and I closed my eyes, tilting my head down, shaking it gently.

"Things change. People change," I whispered.

I turned around and hugged Lexi one last time. "I have to go deal with some of my own petty family squabble. Try not to get in between the drama here, it's thick,"

Damon stood and started towards me, but I was already out the door. I had no time or energy for him.

---------—----

I stared at my own front door and sighed in irritation. I shouldn't feel so scared of going into my own home, it was utterly insane. I took a deep breath and opened the door. Elena and Jenna were both sitting on the couch facing the kitchen, where Jeremy sat at the dining room table with a few books in front of him and a blue pen in hand. I dropped my bag by the door, placing my keys in the designated bowl, and stood by the couch. They all turned to look at me for a second before restarting their conversation.

"I gotta finish this. I'm way behind and I have a quiz tomorrow, so..." Jeremy said, looking down at several books in front of him.

I sat down on the couch beside Jenna and stared Jeremy down in suspicion. My eyes narrowed, and a slack-jawed expression took over my face.

Elena leaned closer to us. "What do you think? Alien?" she said.

Jenna's eyes moved between Elena and me then zeroed in on Jeremy. "Some sort of Replicant," Jenna guessed.

Jeremy lifted his head and rolled his eyes, his face a picture-perfect blend of annoyance and amusement. "He can hear you," he grumbled with a flash of a sarcastic half-smile.

Elena looked at him worriedly and met my eyes from behind Jenna's back. I bit my lower lip and looked away, back at our heavily studying brother. What had she done to him? What had Damon done to him was the more accurate question.

His eyes moved quickly from page to page, scanning the information before writing something new down in his notebook, flipping through the pages rapidly. He was focused and motivated. A completely different person then he had been only a few short days ago. I gave Elena one last look and stood up, taking my bag upstairs to my room.

----

That night I was pulled from my plans of hot cocoa and a good book by a text from Caroline. Apparently, she had planned an impromptu party at the Grill that evening. There was no way I could refuse, especially since it was Stefan's birthday party.

I stepped into the crowded restaurant, observing patrons dancing in the middle of the room with drinks sloshing around in their hands. The music played at top volume, the bass reverberating in my chest. I braced myself for a night of karaoke, pool, and avoiding Elena. At least I'd have Caroline to keep me occupied enough.

My eyes scanned the layout looking for said blonde, finding her on the other side of the room, next to a set of pool tables. She wore a beautiful purple silk dress, a bright satisfied smile on her face. She looked proud and content, making her positively glow from the inside out. I felt my lips slide across my teeth as a smile split my face. That was my girl — she was going to set the world on fire.

I fixed my plaited ponytail and looked down at my outfit. I had wanted to wear something pretty but simple, so I threw on a black knee-length cocktail dress and gold kitten heels. I'd swiped on a little gold eye shadow and some of Elena's red lip stain (that I'd stolen from her vanity a few months back) and finished with a pair of dainty gold hoop earrings. I felt pretty and figured this was a Caroline approved look.

I started towards her, confused when she changed her direction and made her way to the bar. Something had caught her attention. I stood on my tiptoes, straining to see where she was going. Even with a slight heel, I was still too short to see over the heads of the people crowded around me. Just barely through a crack in the crowd, I caught a glimpse of tousled jet black hair, and my teeth bared instinctively. Wow, when had that become my response to him? Dammit, Damon.

I pushed through the crowd, slapping at someone who grabbed my ass and then stepped next to Caroline. I huffed in anger and exhaustion — I could feel sweat beading on the back of my neck and prayed my makeup stayed in place. I brushed the tip of my ponytail from my damp neck and narrowed my eyes at the vampire.

"Damon, I'd hate to believe that you had anything to do with this little shindig," I said smoothly,

I took his glass of bourbon from his hand and downed it in one quick gulp. I squeezed my eyes closed and pursed my red-tinted lips. I felt his fingers on my throat and opened my eyes just a slit.

"Of course not, baby. But, I did hear something... funny,"

He emphasized the last word with a sarcastic laugh. I leaned into him, and nonchalantly pushed Caroline behind me. She stumbled slightly, but I ignored this.

"Oh, you did, did you?" I said, my voice sultry and low. "What was that, Mr. Salvatore?"

I caressed his last name with my tongue. Damon continued to trail his fingers down my throat. He wrapped his fingertips around the back of my neck slowly, and pulled me towards him, squeezing gently.

"You gave Bonnie my crystal, Elandra. I want it back," he growled, squeezing my neck a little tighter. "Tonight,"

I could smell the bourbon on his breath. I leaned into him and laughed lightly in his ear, my voice rough from his grasp.

"Emily won't let you have her crystal, Damon. You should know that babe."

I emphasized the pet name, knowing it would irritate him. I brought my magic forth, focusing it in my fingertips. Small flickers of blue light, almost like metallic nail polish, sparkled as I ran my fingers across his face, zapping him with the electricity. He winced, air whistling through his clenched teeth.

"Don't presume you have any effect over me," I continued, "I don't fear you. I have nothing to fear. I'm already dead, remember?"

I ripped his hand from my neck in one quick motion.

To anyone around us, it would have looked like we had been two lovers in an embrace. I inched backward away from him and took Caroline by the wrist, pulling her to the other end of the bar. I grabbed a drink and tried to shake off the whole encounter. I would be lying if I said being so close to him hadn't left me feeling uneasy and more then a bit flustered, even with the neck grabbing. I tended to like things rough anyways. Caroline watched me closely, seeming a bit dazed herself.

"The party is amazing, Caroline, really," I said.

Caroline pouted slightly, her eyes glazed over. I held her head close to my face and looked into her eyes. Her vervain should not have worn off yet, should it? I pulled her bracelet from my purse and took her wrist, clasping it on quickly. I knew I shouldn't have taken it off her. Still, I thought it would make the detox quicker if she wasn't continually leaning down and inhaling vervain several times a day. I couldn't trust Damon as far as I could throw him. I knew he had something to do with this damn party.

Caroline looked down at her bracelet with a sigh. "Thank you," she said.

"Keep it on until I can get your compulsion reversed and vervain you up, girl,"

She smiled at me, her eyes seeming to clear. "Sure thing," she agreed.

I handed her another drink and patted her on the arm. I looked around us and found Lexi and Stefan dancing awkwardly.

"I'm going to say hi to Stefan and his friend," I said.

Caroline nodded, drinking deeply. I watched her closely, making sure it was safe for me to leave her.

"You're a wonderful person, Caroline, and I love you," I said, kissing her on the head.

She sat down her drink and looked up at me. "How do you do that? You always know what to say. Is that a witchy thing?" she asked.

I smiled at her, biting my lip and shaking my head. "No, it's a best friend thing. I have 'Care-dar.' I just know what you need to hear,"

I kissed her head again. I knew she would be ok, she just needed to let go a bit — Caroline had a tendency to be a tad uptight. I saw Matt at a table nearby and caught his attention, motioning to my eyes and back to Caroline. He gave me an enthusiastic nod, and I smirked.

Hmm, Caroline and Matt? I liked it.

I slid onto the dance floor and giggled at Stefan's weak dance moves. He was a lot like Caroline — way too uptight.

"I'm going to need to see some more footwork," Lexi said with a grin.

"Yeah, I'm not really interested in making a fool out of myself," Stefan laughed, dancing in a circle around Lexi.

Lexi turned around and danced into his chest, snapping her fingers and laughing at his unease. "Come on. You're not that bad," she said.

I danced up next to them and twirled around Lexi. "Hey, Sexy Lexi. Are you torturing our Stefan here?" I admonished.

She tossed her hair back and laughed. "He needs to be tortured a bit. Someone's gotta take that stick out of his ass," she hollered, trying to speak over the music.

Stefan blushed and bumped her with his hip, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Ok, just do me a favor. Tell me if you see Damon with his camera phone," he said.

I took one of his hands and one of Lexi's and pulled them further onto the dance floor. "Don't worry. I'm sure we can find plenty of our own blackmail material," I giggled.

I spun Lexi into his chest and then began twirling in front of them, my hips moving with the beat, my hands in the air. The lights above us pulsed purple, green, and red, making it seem like we were in a club in the city instead of a small-town bar. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, it was perfect for forgetting your troubles, so that's what I did. I danced with Stefan and Lexi, choosing to believe that we were all ordinary people having fun on our friend's birthday. I continued to dance, smiling at Lexi conspiratorially every time we saw the light in Stefan's eyes shine. He was finally having some fun.

I closed my eyes and let my body take over until I felt a familiar pounding in my head. Sweat beaded on my forehead, and the air changed from warm to hot — too hot. I could feel the blood pulsing in my veins, much too quickly. Images flashed in front of my darkened eyelids, blood, and screaming faces, something was happening.

I stumbled, my ankles protesting as my feet slid the wrong way in my heels. I opened my eyes and tried to focus. The world was much too bright now, and it appeared blurry like everything was covered in cellophane. I could still see the frightened faces as if they were printed on my retinas. I looked around me and saw Stefan and Lexi dancing, oblivious to the world. I made my way up the steps and past the pool tables into the back of the bar.

I slipped into the bathroom, breathing heavily and felt something drip onto my bottom lip. I lifted my hand, running it over my mouth and upper lip, glancing down I saw thick red blood gushing from my nose. I quickly leaned against the first sink I came across. I grasped the handle, turning the cold water on full blast. I placed my hands under the water and scrubbed roughly, watching the red fall down the drain. I sniffled and tried to keep the tears at bay. I took a paper towel and wet it, cleaning the blood from my face. I was so sick of feeling this way. It was so unfair. This was the price I had spoken to Caroline of. Magic could be as much a curse as a gift. I never asked to see these things.

I looked at myself in the mirror, my face was sickly pale, and my hair appeared almost brittle, the magic in my veins was weakened because my body was too tired. That vision had cost me. I lifted my purse from my hip and grabbed my blush, lathering some on my cheekbones. It would at least help a little. I reapplied my lip stain next and then tried to fix my disheveled hair, all the while taking deep, steadying breaths.

"Ok, ok, Elara. You're ok, everything's ok," I repeated.

Something had obviously happened, and I needed to figure out what. I refused to ruin Stefan's birthday, so I would have to do it alone. I shook myself mentally and tried to remember the images I had seen. I remembered a couple kissing, then something terrible had happened, something bloody; the man had been attacked.

I leaned over the sink breathing heavily. I felt sickness rising in my throat. No, I wouldn't be weak. I refused. I pushed away from the cold marble sink and gripped my hands together in front of me. I was fine. I shook my hands out beside me and let out a deep sigh that sounded more like an angry shout and left the bathroom. My head still felt fuzzy, but I could manage.

I flattened my dress and tried not to wince at the volume of the music. When I rounded the corner, I could hear Stefan and Lexi shouting in excitement; they were playing pool and laughing. Stefan leaned across the table, smacking Lexi's hand in a high five. Lexi pulled away and shook a fisted hand in the air in triumph. I smiled fondly and stumbled down the steps towards the bar, my body still fighting small tremors. I hoped they were not as noticeable to others as they were to me. I heard a chuckle and looked over my shoulder, Damon was watching Elena with a smirk plastered on his arrogant face. Elena was posed next to a pillar across from the pool tables, the very definition of despondent, watching Stefan like a lovesick puppy. I ground my teeth together and changed direction.

Damon circled her like a vulture, a Cheshire grin on his face, chuckling lightly, "Stefan smiles — alert the media,"

I called on every bit of my mental and physical strength and clicked my tongue in disapproval, stepping up beside him. "Now, now, Damon. Your petty little pokes at Stefan and Elena's relationship are getting tiresome," I said, throwing an arm on Elena's shoulder. "So, shoo," I said, flicking my fingers.

I kept my eyes on him and tried to steady the tremors that coursed through me. Instead of acknowledging me, he kept his face trained on Elena.

"You haven't given him a lot of reasons to be happy lately," Elena snapped.

Damon pursed his lips and sighed. "Oh, you're right. Poor Stefan. Persecuted throughout eternity by his depraved brother," Damon said, shaking his head and smacking his tongue against the top of his mouth.

I moved my arm from Elena as another tremor shook through me. I braced myself against the pillar in front of Elena and arched my back. Damon's eyes narrowed as they crossed over me. I kept my face forward and was proud when only my hands shook, something I hoped he hadn't noticed. He turned his head and zeroed back in on my sister.

"Does it get tiring being so righteous?" he asked her.

I giggled without meaning to and covered my mouth. Damon was right, though, she could be a righteous little nitwit sometimes.

"Humph, it flares up in the presence of psychopaths," she said, taking my stiff hand and pulling me away slowly.

I was starting to feel pliable, really, I was too tired and weak to care.

"Ouch. Well, consider this psychopath's feelings hurt," Damon snarkily said from behind us, his hand on his heart.

I turned my head and rolled my eyes in his direction, he narrowed his and looked me over again from top to bottom, his nose twitching. Elena pulled me behind her swiftly, I stumbled and took her shoulder to stay upright.

When did she get so strong?

I leaned in and casually sniffed the air around her, well she didn't smell like vanilla and honeysuckle, so she wasn't Katherine.

Elena stopped suddenly, forcing me to press my hands against her upper back to keep from colliding with her, and placed a hand on her hip, tilting her head questioningly. "What did you do to our brother?" she asked.

Damon rolled his eyes to the ceiling and then back to her. "I'm gonna need a less vague question," he said.

I huffed and stepped beside Elena, my feet, and head aching. "She means when she stupidly asked you to invade his mind and take away his memories, what else did you do?"

Elena looked at me in annoyance and pushed her hair behind her ear. "When you did what you did to Jeremy's memory of Vicki," Elena mumbled, and Damon looked around us, stepping closer. "What else did you do to him?"

Damon looked down at Elena and shrugged lightly. "You asked me to take away his memory of fangs and roar. You wanted me to take away all the bad stuff," he reminded her.

I scoffed loudly and looked at him in shock.

"But he's acting differently," Elena said, "He seems ok with everything, a little too ok if you ask me."

I stepped into her eye line and looked at her. "Of course he does, Elena. Damon took away all the bad. This means all the pain Jeremy has felt since mom and dad is just...gone," I said, turning my head to Damon. "That was a really sweet and terrible thing to do, Damon. Terrible more than sweet," I said, my eyes stinging. "Yes, Jeremy is fine now, but he isn't healed, all this is just a band-aid. If, god forbid, something happens, what he felt like before is going to snap back and hit him harder then ever,"

Elena rubbed my arm, and I jerked away from her. "Don't, Lena. I still haven't forgiven you, I'm just civil. For Jeremy's sake," I whispered.

Elena's face fell, but she must have decided not to let my attitude get to her because she ignored me and turned back to Damon.

"Are you sure you didn't do anything else?" she asked.

I shook my head and crossed my arms.

"Elandra is right. I took away his suffering," he said.

Elena nodded and tried to retake my hand, but I gently pushed her away.

"Elena, go get a drink. I need to speak with Damon," I said tiredly, "and I'm exhausted, so I'm probably going to go home when I'm done,"

Elena looked at me closely and placed a palm on my forehead. "Oh my God, Elara!" she said, her eyes wide.

I pulled her hand from my forehead and smiled reassuringly. "It's ok. Really, it's normal. I'm just tired," I said, pushing her towards the bar.

She shook her head. "That's not normal, Elara..." she started.

I smacked her butt gently, "Go!" I said with force.

She looked at Damon and narrowed her eyes, running them to my head and back to him. I laughed lowly and watched her walk to the bar. Turning around, I took Damon's hand and pulled him away to the hallway leading to the restrooms. I reached into my bag and took out my cell, sending a text to Caroline and slid it back inside.

"Why did you pull me away? And why was your sister so concerned?" he asked, touching my head before I could stop him.

His mouth fell open, and he pushed me against the wall, lifting my chin, he met my gaze. "You feel like a corpse, Elandra! I knew something was wrong when I smelled blood,"

He leaned down and listened to the steady beating of my heart for a moment before standing up straight again.

"What the hell happened?" he growled.

I closed my eyes and counted to three. Damon smelled different than usual. Why did he smell so different? I opened my eyes and looked at him.

"You smell like roses, Damon. Why?" I asked, stepping away.

He kept his face neutral, but I could still see the stress in the way he held himself, stiff and defensive. "You answer my question first, El," he said, leaning into me.

I pulled away and stumbled backward, my hands flailing out in front of me. However, before I could even register the sensation of falling, I was still again, the feel of leather against my cheek. I took a deep breath and could smell roses again.

"Elara?" Caroline's voice called from behind me.

I pushed Damon away from me, immediately missing his warmth, and turned around. "Care. Hey, um, I...it's just...I almost fell," I inarticulately mumbled.

Caroline raised a brow and frowned. "Ok, what did you need?' she asked.

I wobbled as I walked towards her, and Damon was at my side in an instant. I kept my gaze on my feet and slowly kicked off my heels.

"That's better," I sighed.

I took Caroline's wrist, removing her bracelet. "Ok, now you're going to fix your compulsion, Damon. I want her free of everything you've done," I demanded.

Damon grumbled and yanked Caroline towards him. He wrapped his hands around her neck and held her still. I watched it in amazement. Compulsion was so cool, yet completely terrible.

Looking deep into her eyes, he spoke seductively. "You will forget every command I have ever given you. You will return to exactly the way you were before we met," he said.

Caroline blinked a few times, and he let her go pushing her away. I took her wrist and quickly snapped on her bracelet. I patted her on the shoulder and sighed. She looked slightly dazed, her eyes glazed over as she, once again, viewed the world without the filter of Damon's compulsion.

"There, that's better. Now, go to the bar and take this," I said, handing her a clear gel capsule.

Damon leaned down and sniffed the pill before pulling away and letting out something between a sigh and a laugh.

"What is that?" Caroline asked, taking the pill.

I patted her shoulder and started pushing her towards the bar as I had Elena. I was feeling very pushy tonight. "Vervain. I'll explain later. Now go take it," I said.

Caroline smacked my hands off her shoulders and tossed her hair with a huff. "Fine, you pushy, hag," she huffed.

I smiled at her as she sashayed to the bar. My knees began to buckle, and I threw my hand out to catch myself on the wall. Damon grabbed my hand and helped me to the couch hidden in a darkened alcove in the corner of the room.

"What's going on, El?" he asked.

His face was full of concern and fear, so similar to the way he had once looked at me. I could always lose myself in those eyes. He had been so kind and funny. I never wanted to truly accept that I had lost that side of him forever because if I did, it would mean I had lost a piece of me. As I saw all he had once felt for me and still did, buried in his deep blue eyes, I started to forget that I was mad at him and that he could be an arrogant asshole who liked to flirt with my sister. In my weakened state, all I could see was the man I had loved.

"I had a vision. It weakened me. Someone was attacked by a vampire. I don't receive visions like that unless something bad is about to happen," I said. I was scared and just wanted to feel safe again, and, at this moment, Damon could give me that.

I touched his face gently, my fingers caressing his cheek. His breathing quickened, and he closed his eyes, leaning into my touch and kissing the palm of my hand. My breath caught in my throat as he nuzzled into my palm, and I found myself leaning closer, my heart pounding in my chest. My nose brushed his, and I could feel his breath as it swept across my face, bourbon, and mint. I licked my lips and ran my fingers through his soft hair, eliciting a moan from him. The sound vibrated through his chest, where my other hand lay, tucked gently under his shirt, covering where his heart had once beat for me. I smiled against the edge of his lips and tugged on the hair at the nape of his neck. I ran my tongue across the seam of his lips, and he gasped, giving me the opening I desired. My tongue found solace in his warm mouth as I kissed him deeply, tasting the bourbon I had previously smelled. He pulled me tightly against his chest, but it suddenly wasn't enough; I needed to be closer. I lifted my leg and slid over his lap to sit astride him. He moaned into my mouth, and I pulled away long enough to send him a sly smirk, rolling my hips against his. His head fell back as he groaned and bucked upwards with me. I leaned down and kissed his neck, nibbling roughly at his pulse point.

He growled fiercely. "Don't do that, baby," he begged.

I sat up and looked at him, his face was desperate and hungry. I met his eyes and bit my lower lip as I brushed my nose against the edge of his jaw, trailing down to find his pulse point again. I bared my teeth and bit him roughly, my own animalistic desires coming to the service. He growled again, this time his arms wrapping around me, nails digging into my flesh. I ran my tongue across the red indentations I had created and left a wet trail of saliva as I ran my tongue back up his neck.

He turned his head away from me quickly, his breathing labored. I reached out and took his chin in my fingers, pulling his head towards my face. The sclera of his eyes appeared to almost bleed, like the blood that he was forced to feed on swam through his eyes. Stunning black veins snaked underneath his skin. He was a frightening yet beautiful image. I ran the pads of my fingers across the black veins, his skin was soft and warm, I watched in fascination as they appeared to move. I had seen vampires change before, but never this close, and never in this intimate of a setting. I kissed the veins that had grown on his skin like ivy, a sharp intake of breath was the only sign of life from him. He was still as a statue beneath me. I laid my head on his chest and felt him breathing deeply. The smell of rose-filled my senses.

Rose.

Like Caroline's bracelet.

Like...vervain.

I inhaled again, and it was there, the exact smell of vervain. My body and mind stiffened. What was he up to? In my befuddled state, I had missed that, and then I had succumbed to my basic instincts.

Oh, God! I had just made out with Damon.

I sat up slowly and looked at him, his features were back to normal, but his eyes were guarded. Had he felt the change in my demeanor?

"Vervain?" I simply asked.

He looked away from me and, very carefully, sat me beside him. "That doesn't concern you, Elandra. I'm going to do what I have to. Even if that casts me as the bad guy," he said, his face hard.

He ran a hand over my braided hair and felt my forehead. "You need to go home now. You don't need to be here," he said.

I stood up and placed a hand on his chest. "Whatever your planning. Please, don't. I'll help you, Damon. I'll help you open the tomb. Just...no more death. Please," I begged.

I hated how weak I felt, but I didn't want to lose anyone else, and I felt like that was precisely what was going to happen. Damon turned away from me, his shoulders rigid.

"That's all I bring...death. I can't give you what you want, El," he whispered. "The only thing I can do for you is protect you, save you,"

He was gone with a quick burst of air. I sat back down on the couch and took a deep breath. Well, that just made things more complicated.

After I composed myself, I stepped out of my little hiding spot and quickly found Lexi at the bar. Her head moved up and down as she checked me out.

She looked at the bartender and sighed. "Make that four," she said.

The bartender leaned in and chuckled. "You know I need to see some ID," he said.

Lexi's face became a blank slate. "No, you don't," she said plainly.

The bartender's head jerked slightly, and he took a short breath. "That'll be, uh..." he stuttered.

Lexi tilted her head, leaning back. "Free."

The bartender blinked and smiled brightly. "On the house," he said.

Lexi laughed happily and bounced in her seat. "Thanks," she said.

I sat down next to her while the freshly compelled bartender poured our shots and smiled. "That is such a cool trick," I said.

Lexi took my hand and gave it a squeeze. "You know if I could, I'd offer you the whole shebang, right?" she said.

I closed my eyes and tried not to cry. "Yeah, Lex. I do," I said.

Lexi let go of me and took three of the shots in her cupped hands, leaving the other for me, and stood up, motioning for me to follow with her head. I obeyed like a well-trained dog. Ignoring my protesting body, which was telling me I needed sleep to recuperate my magic. Lexi stopped suddenly, and I tried not to fall on my ass behind her.

"Ah, the famous Elena," she said.

I looked over her shoulder to find my sister sipping on a drink. I wiggled my nose, the protective sister side of me wanting to inspect her glass. How was she getting home?

Elena straightened her posture and looked at Lexi with suspicion. "Towel girl," she said.

I blinked rapidly and wanted to scoff. Towel girl? There was totally a story there.

Lexi shrugged and handed Elena a shot. "I've been called worse," she said, sitting down, what I presume would be Stefan's shot, at the table beside us, and took her own in hand.

I stood next to her and casually inspected Elena's drink. Coke, ok. Good girl.

Elena looked at Lexi with shock and curiosity in her big brown eyes. "I didn't know you guys could drink," she said.

I pushed my braid off my shoulder and nodded.

"Oh, yeah. It helps curb the cravings, but makes for a lot of lushy vamps," Lexi said, bumping hips with me.

I winked at her, several memories of her drunk and passing out in our hotel room coming to mind. She clinked shot glasses with me, and we both downed ours at the same time.

Elena looked between us and pointed her finger at me and then Lexi. "How do you two know each other?" she asked.

I leaned in closer so I could speak in her ear. "I know Stefan told you everything about me, and my curse so that I didn't have to explain." I stepped back and walked around the table. Sitting down, I looked into her eyes with regret. I hoped she would know that, despite my anger, I regretted how I had revealed everything. Elena leaned forward and laid a hand on my cheek, and I sighed in relief. "I met Lexi a century ago, in another life," I said, moving away from my sister.

Lexi, hearing every word, nodded, smiling at me brightly. "We're good friends, Ella and I," she said.

Elena's face darkened, and she lowered her eyes. "Her name is Elara," she said.

Lexi sat down beside me and watched Elena closely. She looked at me, moving my hair from my ear. She winked at Elena as she angled herself closer to me. "This the family drama you mentioned?" she whispered in my ear.

I shook my head 'yes,' and she stuck out her bottom lip as a symbol of sympathy.

"You know, I've never seen Stefan drunk," Elena said, changing the subject.

Lexi smiled and looked down at the table, an expression of love on her face. "He's uptight," she said.

Elena laughed and nodded quickly, her hair falling into her face. "But not with you," she said.

I put my elbow on the table and rested my head on my hand.

Lexi lifted her head and looked at Elena with rounded eyes. "Well, that's the benefit of knowing someone for over 100 years," she smiled in thought for a moment. "You can just be yourself," she said.

Elena's eyes clouded over, and she moved her hair behind her ear. "Yeah, he can't be himself around me," she said despondently, looking away.

Lexie placed a hand on hers and rubbed the circle on her skin. "Well, not yet. The first step was him telling you. The rest comes with time," Lexie said in a whisper.

Elena's eyes teared up, and she looked at Lexi, hope flickering in her eyes. "You seem so sure," she said.

I brushed the hair from her face, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Because she is, Lena," I said.

Lexi looked at me as we both got lost in the same memory. Lexi had told me her love story before, it was beautiful and had given me so much hope. She had said to me that whoever I was waiting for would come back to me.

"The love of my life was human. He went through what I imagine you're going through...denial, anger, et cetera." Lexi took a deep breath and took my hand. "But at the end of the day, love really did conquer all," she said, grinning at Elena.

She gave my hand a squeeze and looked at me again, this time she didn't smile or laugh, which was very un-Lexi like. "We all need to remember what love can do for a person. If they just let it," she said.

She looked away and back to Elena. "Are you gonna drink that?" she asked, looking at Elena's shot.

Elena lifted her shot and scrunched up her face, shaking her head. "Uh, no go for it,"

She handed the drink to Lexi, who downed it immediately. Elena looked at her with a newfound respect and then down at her hands.

"I'm scared."

Lexi shook her head a bit and leaned in. "But you're here...because you're crazy about him. I get it, ok. I mean, what's not to love." Lexie turned her head and looked at Stefan, who was leaning over the pool table, lining up a shot, his eyes steady and focused. "Take it from someone who has been around a long time. When it's real, you can't walk away,"

Lexi took another shot, the one I had assumed was for Stefan. Downing it quickly, she scrunched up her face and shook her head. Elena laughed, watching her in amusement, the stress melting from her features as she thought over what Lexi had said.

"Whew!" Lexi hollered as the liquor went to work.

She stood from the table and placed both hands on my shoulders.

Elena sat back in her seat and smiled up at the beautiful vampire. "It was really nice meeting you," she said.

Lexi feigned, blushing, fanning her face with her hands. "I know," she said, pulling me from my seat. "Let's go get some more shots," she said.

I hung my tongue out of the corner of my mouth and cocked my head at Elena. Lexi yanked my braid, and Elena laughed at my plight.

"Come on, your keeping me from Tequila," she said.

I followed her to the bar and stood to the side as Lexi order a few shots and then started to make her way to the other side of the bar. I didn't realize who she had sat down next to until I heard her speak. Looking down, I noticed crystal blue eyes staring at me in anger.

"The shots are a bribe. I need to know, what are you really doing in Mystic Falls?" she asked Damon.

I walked up beside her and took her arm. "Lexi, this isn't necessary," I tried.

She brushed me off quickly, and I stumbled again, my equilibrium for shit.

Damon stood, taking my arm and sitting me on the stool he had vacated. "You're supposed to be at home," he whispered in my ear as he pulled away.

"Keep your hands to yourself, Lexi, or we might have trouble," he said, his voice stiff.

I chuckled and pushed him away from her. "Damon, you know she didn't do anything. I am clumsy tonight, my magic is weak," I said in a whisper.

Lexie leaned across Damon and frowned at me in annoyance. "Why didn't you say anything? I have a medicinal baggy in my purse. A witch in New Orleans had this weird bark that she gave me for helping her out, said it was worth a fortune to the right witch. Apparently, if you suck on it, it helps restore your magic when you're exhausted, and it can be reused,"

Lexi reached into her purse and pulled out a small silver bag. Inside she had small vials of blood, a container of Witch Hazel, that I tried to not jump in fear from. To my breed of Witch, it is poison. It burns like acid and renders us immobile, aside from all our senses, which remain active. It is the worst form of torture. Luckily, since my mother's death, I am the last of my kind, and not many people know of that particular weakness.

She had a few other things I didn't recognize, but the last item she pulled from the bag was wrapped in clear plastic. It was a Blackwood branch. The Blackwood tree was one of the most potent trees in Witchcraft. I took the small twig from her and peeled it from the plastic, placing it between my lips with a sigh. The bitter taste immediately made me feel better, my magic recognizing that relief was in sight.

"Now, back to business," Lexi said.

I nibbled on the branch nervously as Damon leaned against the bar, observing me. "Ok, I have a diabolical master plan," Damon said, his expression one of pure boredom.

Lexi nodded, her lips pursed. "What is it?" she asked.

Damon sneered at her in exasperation. "If I told you it wouldn't be very diabolical, now would it?" he said.

I motioned for the bartender, he was new and obviously covering for the one who had been serving us before. I grimaced, great, and I can't compel him.

"What can I get you, love?" he asked.

I narrowed my eyes at him and bit my tongue. It's a common pet name, Elara. You can't yell at someone every time they use it.

"Vodka?" I asked, biting my lip.

He winked at me conspiratorily and grabbed a glass filling it with Vodka. I smiled brightly and winked at Lexi, who had been watching the whole encounter, with a grin.

"Here ya go," he said, handing me the drink and a napkin. "If you need anything else, I'll be here," he said, smiling and walking back to the other end of the bar.

I took a sip of my drink, keeping the Blackwood on the other end of my mouth like a toothpick, and looked down at the napkin.

It had a messaged scribbled on the corner,

Call me, Brad. and at the bottom in a messy scrawl, a phone number.

I handed it to Lexi with a small laugh. "Huh, Brad," I said.

Lexi waved the napkin in the air with a whoop, and I covered my face with both hands. Damon took it from her and looked down at it and then back down the bar, where Brad was sending me quick smiles.

"Yeah, I don't fucking think so. How old is he?" Damon said, crushing the napkin in his hand and placing it in his pocket.

Lexi laughed loudly and shook her head. "The more important question is: how old is Ella?" she said.

I choked on my drink and spluttered my face red. "Ugh...well...uh.. a..a...thousandish," I said quietly.

Lexi's jaw dropped, and despite Damon knowing the roundabout time frame, he started coughing, his bourbon obviously going down the wrong pipe.

Lexi started giggling madly, her bright face red. "Wow, I feel so much better about my age," she wiped her eyes and pushed my shoulder gently. "Now stop distracting me," she said, turning back towards Damon.

I sipped my drink as they talked, and I watched Damon dance around her questions. Then he tilted his head towards the entrance, and I could see a gleam in the corner of his eye, just as I felt something fall into my drink. I looked down to see a drop of red floating towards the bottom of my cup, the color spreading out through the clear liquid. I scooted next to Lexi and looked around us. Everyone was still drinking and having a good time, but, by the entrance, Sheriff Forbes was turning a woman away from the building, the same woman from my vision. I started breathing heavily, and Lexi turned to me.

"You ok, Ella?" she worriedly asked.

The Sheriff and her men were steadily getting closer, and I was starting to understand what they were here for.

"Lexi," I said, as Sheriff Forbes shot her in the hip with a syringe.

"Sheriff, what?"

I tried desperately to get ahold of Lexi, who was gasping for air.

"What are you doing?" Damon snapped.

The Sheriff looked at him steadily. "Thank you for the vervain. Now, if you'll excuse me," she said.

Her men lifted Lexi by the shoulders and began to carry her from the Grill. I tried to follow, but Damon held me by the wrist. "No, El," he said.

I ripped my wrist from his hand and pulled away from him. "I asked you...I begged. I've never once asked you for anything, Damon," My voice was gruff. "She's my friend, Stefan's friend," I said.

I looked around the room, spotting Stefan and Elena leaving and gave Damon one last glare before following after them. I saw them get turned away at the front door and stopped, turning around and running ahead to the back. I slipped through the door and heard gunshots. I took the branch from my mouth and slipped it into my purse. I ran towards the noise and saw the Sheriff shooting Lexi in the chest. Lexi smiled after every gunshot, and I almost laughed. Thank goodness — she was ok.

Of course, she was. She was old and strong. I heard movement behind me and saw Stefan and Elena heading up the ally. I stepped out towards Lexi to see if I could help, and the Sheriff saw me out of the corner of her eye.

"No, go back!" she yelled.

I put my hands in the air and was just about to knock her out when Damon approached Lexi with a stake.

"NO!" I shouted.

But, I was too late, he shoved the stake in her chest. I fell to my knees, the hard pavement a welcome pain compared to what was playing out in front of me.

"Why?" Lexi gasped her voice weak and pitiful.

Damon looked at her for a split second, no remorse on his face, "It's all part of the plan," he said, before twisting the stake, a sickening crunch floating through the air.

Lexi's skin began to grey as she gasped, taking her final breaths in this world. I could feel her fear and pain, having died so many times before, but she wouldn't come back. I sat on my knees, no tears coming. Not even anger was there to keep me warm.

When Lexi fell to the ground, Damon rushed to the Sheriff, his face innocent and sweet. "You ok?" he asked.

She placed her gun back in its holster and nodded. "Yes, thank you. Place it in the trunk quickly. I need to talk to her. I think she's in shock," she said, pointing to me.

Hearing her mention me snapped me out of my stupor. Shock? I wasn't in shock.

I was...what, was I? Angry? Sad? Both?

I wasn't sure.

I stood up and brushed off my bleeding legs with a wince. "No, I'm ok. I already knew about all this, Sheriff. Runs in the family remember. They were on the council," I whispered, quickly remembering the journals I had found of dads. "I was only worried about Damon. We are friends, and I guess reading about vampires and facing them are two entirely different things," I said, smiling.

Liz patted me on the back with an understanding sigh."You did well. Just please remember. You can't talk about this with anyone," she said.

I knew she meant Caroline and nodded my head fiercely. "Of course, Sheriff. I would never," I said.

Damon watched me from where he had dumped Lexi's body, and I avoided his eyes.

"Go home and get some rest," she said.

I gave her a quick side hug and ran back to the Grill. I looked around and couldn't find Elena or Stefan anywhere. As I was going to my car, my phone started to ring. I pulled it from my purse and saw Elena had sent me a text.

"I didn't know who else to call, Elara. Stefan said he is going to kill him. You have to do something." I hung up the phone without responding to her plea and tossed it in the passenger seat — pulling out of the Grill as fast as I could.

I jumped out of the car at the Boarding house, the front door was wide open, and I could hear fighting going on upstairs. I ran through the open door and took the stairs two at a time. My head spinning. I pushed my way into Damon's room and saw Stefan had him pinned to the wall, a stake in hand.

"Stefan no, don't. You're better than this!" I shouted.

He didn't acknowledge me, but his shoulders stiffened as he shoved the stake right below Damon's heart.

I gasped and ran forward, keeping a safe distance. "Stefan," I sobbed my hands in my hair.

"You missed," Damon grasped his brother's shoulders, eyes wide as he gasped.

Blood poured from the wound as Stefan continued to shove the stake deeper into Damon's chest. "No. You saved my life. I'm sparing yours. We're even," he said, twisting the stake as Damon had done to Lexi.

Stefan removed the stake and shoved it back in, this time with more force. "And now we're done," he finished.

Damon grunted in pain, the grip he had on Stefan's shoulders faltered, and he slipped down the wall as Stefan let go of the stake and stepped away from him. He walked towards me, and I flinched involuntarily, afraid that if I said the wrong thing, I would make him feel worse. He froze mid-step and stuck his hands out in front of him, noticing that they were covered in his brother's blood.

He scrunched up his face in discomfort and lowered them to his sides. "I'm not going to hurt you, El,' he said.

I tilted my head and tried to understand what he meant. "Of course your not," I slowly said.

Stefan cocked his head and blinked a few times. "Ok, so your not afraid of me?" he asked. I shook my head and looked around him at Damon, who was trying to get the stake from his chest. One part of me wanted to help, and the other wanted to pop some popcorn and watch a replay of what had just happened.

"I was only worried I would say something wrong and make this whole night worse. I...I'm going to miss her too, so please remember you not alone," I said, the tears finally coming.

Stefan's face fell, and he approached me at light speed, pulling me into a hug. Blood be damned. I cried on his shoulder, and he lifted me into his arms and sped me away, away from Damon and everything that had happened that night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.1K 1.7K 42
"๐‹๐ž๐ญ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐›๐ž ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐š๐ฅ, ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐š ๐Ÿ๐ฅ๐š๐ฆ๐ž, ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ž๐ญ ๐ข๐ญ ๐›๐ž ๐ข๐ง๐Ÿ๐ข๐ง๐ข๐ญ๐ž ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐š๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฅ๐š๏ฟฝ...
2.7K 129 38
After Lilliana Moore reunited with the love of her life, Elijah Mikaelson, all she wanted to do was return to Mystic Falls and rest for a while, mayb...
97.6K 2.4K 64
After three long years, full of horror and heartbreak, Klaus Mikaelson and Penelope Gilbert-Mikaelson have finally moved from their home in New Orlea...