Dragon Rider

By TheTenthWalker

Genevieve Rosewood is an elf of Lothlorien. She is a mysterious elleth to others, as only a few know of her s... More

2 - It Was Magic
3 - Dragons

1 - I Don't Bow To Crowns

77 1 0
By TheTenthWalker

   The wind ripples through the girl's dirty blond hair, as she races through the trees. She runs carefully, navigating through the trees, and careful as to not trip on tree roots. She comes to an abrupt stop, lifting her wizard's staff, turning it into an intricately carved bow, and knocking a slim but deadly arrow. Aiming, she closes her right eye. The brown deer in front of her stopped, dead in its tracks.

"Evie! Evie, I have been looking everywhere for you!" A tall girl with platinum blond hair and large green eyes shouts. This girl's eyes were crystal blue, unlike the first girl's midnight blue eyes.

The deer scuttles off, causing the girl to lower her bow, as she turns around irritably. "Glosseth Greenleaf, it was right there! Yllek Dears are hard to find! And anyway, stop calling me Jen! Jen, remember?" The dark haired girl shouts, waving her hands in exasperation.

"Genevieve Rosewood, I am right here!" Glosseth mocks, laughing. "Anyway, you do not need to shoot it. Lothlorien had enough food already, Jen."

Jen rolls her eyes at Glosseth. Glosseth had been her best friend since....well, Jen couldn't even remember. Jen had been hesitant to befriend the her, as Glosseth was Thranduil's daughter. Jen wasn't scared of Thranduil, nor was she afraid of crossing him, but she was worried that she wouldn't be worthy of Glosseth. Glosseth was Princess of Mirkwood, and the sister of the soon-to-be-king, Legolas. Glosseth had been visiting Lothlorien, and she wished to stay. Lady Galadriel had been more then happy to let her do so.

"You don't get it, Glosseth. I love hunting, whether I get any game or not. Y'know, the rush of adrenaline you get when you see an animal? The quiet sound of birds chirping?" Jen sighs, as she sees Glosseth's puzzled expression. "You don't need to sword fight, Glosseth. You never show your true talent, you can't. Just like I can't show my talent. There's no use in doing it, Glosseth. We do it because we love it."

"Well, someone is feeling like giving a speech." Glosseth grins.

Jen sighs. "What did you come here for, anyway?"

"Can a girl see her best friend, without an excuse?" Glosseth says, fake pouting. "Oh, and when did you get back? Tala said that she saw you walking through the gates, bow in hand. I thought you were with Gandalf for another month.''

Tala was a guard, and also a friend of ours. The brunette girl was friendly, always stopping with people to chat.

''You never come in the woods, Glosseth. Never, not unless you need me for something. And to answer your question, Gandalf sent me back. He said that he had some business with....hobbits. Of the Shire.'' Jen says, not understanding, herself. What business would Gandalf have with hobbits?

''That is odd. Galadriel sent for you. That is when I saw Tala. Anyway, Galadriel said to meet her in the throne room area. Did you do something?'' Glosseth asks, curiously.

''No! At least, I don't think I did. See you later, Glosseth!'' Jen says, grabbing her bow, and turning it back into her iron black wizard's staff.

''Bye, Evie. It is good to have you back!'' Glosseth replies. Glosseth sighs, knowing what Jen would do. And sure enough, Jen starts running to the gates, laughing. Rolling her eyes, Glosseth begins her own trek back to the beautiful center of Lothlorien.

***

Jen ran through the trees, laughing. It was so good to be back in Lorien. She loved spending time with Gandalf, learning to be a wizard, but things had been slow. Gandalf hadn't paid much attention to her, his mind seemed elsewhere. Jen shrugs it off though; she was back in Lorien, everything would be fine.

Barely haven broken a sweat, Jen walks through the silver gates of Lothlorien. Guards nod at her, and Jen sees Tala chatting to a boy. Making a mental note to catch up with her friends, Jen climbs up a slender oak tree. Then, getting a good grip, she swings from tree to tree like a monkey. Finally, Jen stops, and climbs down. A rather large and smooth tree with a latter stood tall and proud, and Jen knew what awaited her at the top.

Climbing up the brown latter, Jen is careful not to lose her footing. Jen had never been to see Lord Celeborn or Lady Galadriel before, therefore she hadn't been up the ladder, so she wasn't familiar with it. The tree was high, and Jen knew that there had to be another way to get up. Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn would not be told to climb a ladder.

Reaching the top, Jen heaves herself up, suddenly feeling self-conscious. Lady Galadriel was known for her beauty gowns and attire. Hell, she was known for being gorgeous as the moon, forget her outfit. Jen's hastily-brushed wavy hair had been tied into a sloppy bun, and she was wearing a brown velvet tunic, a brown belt, black leggings, brown boots, and finally, a gold circlet/bracelet that Glosseth had given her awhile ago.

Jen shook these thoughts from her head, though. She shouldn't she self-conscious. She was Genevieve Rosewood, not a silly little girl who cared about her looks. Taking a deep breath, Jen pushed open a door to her left, that she was pretty sure would take her to Lady Galadriel.

Once the oak doors opened, Jen strode it, taking in her surroundings. Lord Celeborn stood by a pillar, handsome as Glosseth had said. Lady Galadriel was radiant as the moon. Her wavy blond hair cascaded down her back like a running waterfall, and the bottom of her curls bounce as she laughed at a joke from Lord Celeborn. Her sharp crystal eyes glittered with eternal knowledge. Lady Galadriel's gold-laced white dress was very long, covering her feet and swiveling around the floor.

Jen took a timid step forward, not sure what to say. It seemed as if she wouldn't need to wait though, as Lady Galadriel stopped laughing, and turned to look at her. Jen stepped forward confidently, trying not to feel intimidated by the Lady of Lorien.

''Lady Galadriel. Glosseth Greenleaf told me that you were looking for me.'' Jen speaks first, destroying any tension in the room.

''Ahh, yes. You are Genevieve Rosewood, are you not?'' Lady Galadriel responds, her misty voice echoing in the hall, rather eerily.

''I prefer Jen, but yes. Might I ask why I've been summoned?'' Jen asks politely, trying to convey a very clear message; basically, she was saying 'straight to the point. Why am I here?' in the politest way possible.

''I presume that you, as Gandalf the Grey's apprentice, know of the troubles that have arisen in Middle-Earth?''

Jen stiffens. ''He has mentioned it, yes. All I know it that Sauron's forces have been growing stronger.''

Lady Galadriel smiles in a mysterious way. ''Then you do not know much, child. I would explain, however, I believe that Lord Elrond will do plenty of that in Rivendell.'' She says, in a matter-of-fact way.

Jen blinks. ''Rivendell, my lady?''

''Yes, Rivendell. Lord Elrond has decided to hold a council, a council in which he would like a representor of Lothlorien. Celeborn and I are busy, therefore, we have chosen you.'' Lady Galadriel says, chuckling softly.

''M-Me?'' Jen stutters, blinking. She had been to Rivendell with Gandalf before, so she wasn't jumping up and down to go there, but still! Why would Lady Galadriel and Lord Celebroen choose her, of all people! Their own daughter, Celebrian, lived in Rivendell. Why didn't they want to go?

Lady Galadriel only nods slightly, and Jen recovers quickly. ''Thank you for this opportunity, My Lady. I will report back to you as soon as I'm back. When do I leave?'' Jen asks, in a rush.

''That is one reason why we have chosen you, Genevieve. You leave on short notice just fine. You will be departing now, after you meet your escort.'' Lady Galadriel says, smiling slightly.

''Escort?'' Jen questions, raising her left eyebrow.

''Yes, escort. Prince Legolas of Mirkwood is representing Mirkwood. He has so kindly offered to escort you to Rivendell. Legolas, my boy, you may come out now.'' Lady Galadriel says, giving Jen no time to think.

Suddenly, right as she heard doors opening, Jen feels something in her head. A presence, almost. As suddenly as it came, a voice whispers to her. Legolas's father, King Thranduil, told Legolas to escort the elf representing Lothlorien. He was sure that I would choose a girl, how, I do not do. He was hoping that I would choose someone with a high status. Jen recognized the voice of Lady Galadriel, and she shook her head in irritation.

''Am I not of high enough status for the king?'' Jen mutters, under her breath. Lady Galadriel's presence seemed to seep out though, just in time for Prince Legolas to enter the room.

Legolas paced around the room, sighing in irritation. His father had told him to escort the representor of Lothlorien. Legolas wasn't sure why, but he would probably find out soon.

''Legolas, you may come out now!" The voice of Galadriel wafted into the chamber Legolas was in. Legolas, glad to be leaving soon, opened the doors to see....a lady. And a gorgeous one, at that.

The girl's eyes seem to widen in shock, upon seeing Legolas. This girl looked strangely familiar....

''Glosseth.'' She muttered, under her breath, just loud for Legolas to catch it.

''I'm sorry? I didn't quite catch your name.'' Legolas says, politely. He was slightly infuriated inside, though. Lord Elrond's councils weren't to be taken lightly. Elleth weren't trained. What were they playing at, sending an elleth?

The girl straightens up. ''I'm Genevieve Rosewood. You can call me Jen.''

Legolas stared at Jen, surprised that she hadn't added 'Lord Legolas' or 'Your highness'. She hadn't even bowed. Not that he was mad or upset. He kinda liked be addressed like he was normal, like he didn't have the responsibility of prince.

Jen raised her eyebrows at Legolas. He was taking an awfully long time to introduce himself. Of course, Jen knew who he was, being Glosseth's best friend. Also, any elleth would know who he was. Girls Jen's age practically drooled upon talking about the Prince of Mirkwood, but Jen was never like that. She didn't treat princes like royalty unless they deserved it, therefore, she didn't bow to crowns.

''I'm Legolas. Prince of Mirkwood.'' Legolas speaks, finally. Jen raised her eyebrows even higher; why had it taken him so long to say that?

''Right. We're going to Rivendell now, I believe.'' Jen says, before turning around. Her boots made a clattering noise as she walked through the door that had taken her there. Then, turning around, Jen gestured for Legolas to follow her. He did, and he went down the latter first. Jen shot Lady Galadriel a look, unsure as to why she was traveling with him. Then, climbing down the latter herself, she prayed that nothing awkward would happen.

As Jen reached the bottom, Legolas reached out a hand for her, but she didn't take it. Jen knew that Legolas thought that everyone her gender was weak, and she would prove to him that they weren't.

''Evie!'' Jen turned around to see Glosseth, riding a horse. ''Legolas?''

Glosseth looked between Jen and Legolas, raising her right eyebrow. Then, dismounting her horse, she handed the reins to Jen. The horse was on the smaller end, but it was beautiful. All of its hair was dark brown, but on his forehead there was a streak of white. Well, silver, almost.

''Hey, Glosseth. What brings you here? I didn't think you'd make it out of the forest that quick.'' Jen jokes.

Glosseth rolls her eyes, which isn't really proper for a princess. ''Galadriel – you know, with her mind tricks and stuff – told me hat that you would need a horse. So, I got this one. Her name is Arion. She is yours know.''

''Thanks, Glosseth. I'm going to Rivendell for a bit, so I'll be back soon.'' Jen says, stroking Arion's mane.

''What? Evie, you just got back! Must you leave again?'' Glosseth says, waving her hands in exasperation.

''I'm sorry, Glosseth. I'll try my hardest to stay here after.'' Jen makes a mental note to spend more time with Glosseth and her other friends, including Tala.

''You just got back? From where?" Legolas questions. It was un-prince-like to interrupt a conversation, but Jen was sure that he would have a good reason.

''Oh, hi, Legolas. Evi- I mean, Jen, is Gandalf the Grey's apprentice. She just got done with one of her 'adventures''' Glosseth says, smiling. Legolas looks to Jen with a surprised expression.

''Apprentice? If you are his apprentice, where is your staff?'' He asks.

Jen points to a clip in her hair. ''I can transform it.'' She explains.

''Oh. Well, shall we get going?'' Legolas says, removing any tension.

''Yes. I believe so. See you, Glosseth!'' Jen places her hands on Arion's saddle and hoists herself up. Then, kicking Arion softly, she rode through the gates, Legolas quickly trying to follow her. Glosseth laughs as her older brother struggles to get on his horse. Jen was a fast rider, Legolas would have....fun trying to get to her.

''Goodbye, Legolas!'' Glosseth shouts. ''Oh and do come back with Genevieve! I have not seen you in forever!''

''Alright, Glosseth. Bye!'' Legolas then kicks his horse, not sure himself how fast Jen could ride. Probably not fast; right?

Jen, far ahead of Legolas, slowed down. It was probably rude to go that fast. Legolas was being forced to escort her, the least she could do was let him do this job. Stroking Arion's soft hair, Jen sighs. What was going to happen in Rivendell? Council wasn't called often, especially from Lord Elrond.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281K 23.9K 15
MY Creditor Side Story ပါ။ Parallel Universe သဘောမျိုးပြန်ပြီး Creation လုပ်ထားတာမို့ main story နဲ့ မသက်ဆိုင်ပဲ အရင် character ကို ရသအသစ် တစ်မျိုးနဲ...
180K 13.3K 19
"YOU ARE MINE TO KEEP OR TO KILL" ~~~ Kiaan and Izna are like completely two different poles. They both belong to two different RIVAL FAMILIES. It's...
505K 54.7K 23
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
579K 16.7K 22
Beau HATES Oliver Fowler. But Oliver doesn't hate Beau.. quite the opposite actually. Oliver is the univeristies 'Golden Boy', adored and admired by...