In Saving the Imperfect

By K_M_Braily

A bastard, an alcoholic and a murderer - all have committed an equivalent crime. *** Layne Marks has always b... More

1. The perfect was among us
2. We broke it nonetheless
3. And knelt between the shatters
4. To see ones just like us
5. As we were bound together
6. With truth ahead our eyes
7. We struggled to stand up
8. Just to fall down again
9. But our faults inspired
10. Our curious design
11. And lead us to discover
12. What may have been our end
13. Abandoned by the fortune
14. And forced to realise
15. Just how misfit we were
16. Without the ones we loved
17. We wanted to go back
18. Take down the barriers
19. Instead we crouched defeated
20. Facing the animals we feared
21. The people who had faith
22. Who taught us to believe
23. They lifted up our spirits
24. And dropped us down for gain
25. The claws of our foes
26. Pressed hard on our souls
27. Ripped our hearts apart
28. Yet forced us back to life
30. Determined our paths
31. For us to go up front
32. When stabbed in our chests
33. The few of us survived
34. But we might never know
35. Succeeded we or failed
36. In saving the imperfect

29. The fate of our friends

19 3 1
By K_M_Braily

Nothing was ever easy enough.

Layne laid on the mattress and stared at the ceiling. He had stopped counting how much time has passed, especially since he had nothing to do through the day. Except for staring at the ceiling. Every time Victor would leave the cabin, he'd latch the door from the outside and although Layne tried to find a way to undo it, all was hopeless.

At the very least, he was still alive. Until that stopped being the case, he had time. They had time. Layne had no doubt that his friends were trying to get back at him just as much as he was at them. If they even knew where he was in the first place, which he had doubts about.

So, one of those days, while Victor was eating his breakfast, Layne decided to figure that out.

"So," he started, not taking his eyes off the ceiling, "what good does keeping me here give you? If no one can see me around the village, no one knows I'm still alive, right?"

Victor looked up from his soup. "They don't have to see you all the time."

"What does that even mean?"

"I'd say strolling around the village from time to time should be enough to show off how alive and healthy you are."

Layne snorted. "Who's saying I'm gonna do anything you want me to again?"

"You did the last time."

"The last time was a fluke."

Victor just laughed and finished his meal before heading out. Left alone, Layne sighed and closed his eyes. The lack of activity or any sort of movement was starting to get to him and his head had been aching for a few days already.

Time to time, he'd get up and start walking around the small room, which only intensified the pain. He needed to go outside. Bad. But not bad enough to ask Victor, of course. His pride wouldn't have allowed that.

Then, he'd lay around for the rest of the day, then for the night, and then for the next day. Nothing better to do. Not in that cabin.

When the latch dropped and the door opened, Layne didn't even look at it. He didn't care when Victor would come and leave – and he'd do that often.

"Layne?" a shy voice called. Layne jolted up to see Iker squeezed in the small gap between the ajar door and its frame. "You're here. Good."

Layne shook his head. "Get inside and close the door."

Iker did just that and stood in place, looking around. His hands were shaking a little, which Layne decided to ignore. It wasn't the time.

"Do you have anything to tell me?" he asked. "It's too risky for you to be here, Victor might see, or someone else."

"Alana's distracting Victor," Iker explained with a slight smile. "My brother and Malia are telling as many people as they can about what you had told us. About the speakers."

Layne's jaw dropped open. "They can't do that, it's not safe. They don't know who might be working for Victor and-"

"Alana says they wouldn't do anything until nighttime," Iker interrupted him. "We heard Victor talking. He is planning to- he's planning to destroy the other community. I've only come to get you so we can go there and warn them."

Layne nodded. He could have figured out lots of flaws in their plan and lots of questions – but there wasn't any time for that. Alana was smart-ish. He had to trust her or else they wouldn't have another chance.

"What are we doing, right now?" he asked.

"We're gonna go to where we had planned to meet up. Alana won't be able to distract Victor for too long, so, we decided that for as long as Malia and Zander can get at least a few people convinced, it'll just have to do."

"So, Malia and Zander are playing missionaries." Layne attempted to lighten the mood, but Iker's face didn't change. He just opened the door and motioned for Layne to follow him. Before leaving, Layne grabbed his old jacket. Not only because it was going to be cold outside – he just wasn't willing to part with it again.

They were outside. Layne was stunned to see... how normal everything was. The world wasn't going to hell just because his brain was telling him that. The sky wasn't red, the bombs weren't dropping and there wasn't even a thunderstorm in the distance. Only another autumn day with brown and golden leaves covering the grass and some people minding their own business.

They walked through the village. Normal. Just two friends doing whatever they were supposed to be doing, just like everyone else. Which was weird to think of, as Layne never considered Iker to be his 'friend'. Iker was the weird silent guy in the corner of the cabin who only ever talked to his brother. Layne doubted this adventure was going to change anything.

He controlled his breathing but his heartbeat didn't listen to commands. It was going wild. Drops of sweat covered his forehead and his armpits started feeling moist. He was even more so glad he was wearing appropriate clothes then – it shouldn't show through that way and no one would think it was weird, considering the chilly weather.

Victor's voice reached him just in time for them to jolt behind a nearby cabin. He was talking to Alana and Layne just couldn't concentrate enough to listen to it. All he could think of was how wrong could the situation get. Victor could hear them, or maybe someone else could see them hiding.

Iker poked his head around the corner and retreated quickly. Then, he looked over again and stuck out his hand, holding his thumb up. Soon enough, both Alana and Victor started moving away. When their voices faded away, Layne breathed out loudly and his heartbeat calmed down. Iker waved at him to keep going and so they went.

Once they reached the end of the village, relief flooded through Layne's body in the form of warmth. There was no way someone would have stumbled upon them in the forest, at least someone who could have been a threat. Iker didn't stop and kept leading him deeper.

Finally, he stopped. Layne looked around, but their location didn't show any signs of being different or special in any way. They were surrounded by a bunch of old trees and some bushes. That's it.

"This is where we're supposed to meet up with the rest?" he asked.

Iker nodded at a medium sized rock that Layne hadn't thought of being significant. "Next to this. I'm pretty sure."

Layne sat on the ground and fixed his eyes into the distance. Iker joined him there but they didn't talk. They had nothing to talk about, they didn't know each other. As more time passed, Iker started glancing at his wrist. Layne raised his eyebrows and attempted to make out what was he looking at – there was no way he had a watch. And he didn't. There was nothing there.

Layne couldn't take it. "What do you keep looking at?"

"Habit from Eumain." Iker chuckled. "I used to wear a cheap watch that Zander had gotten me for my birthday one year. That kinda stayed."

"Huh... So, how long till they're supposed to show up?"

Iker squeezed his lips together. "Well, we didn't set a time frame or anything. They'll probably be here soon."

Layne looked at him for a little bit more and fixed his attention to the direction of the village once again. He did notice the guy starting to get pale. Something was wrong. They were late.

He stood up and stretched his body as tall as possible as if that would have helped him see better. It didn't. More important, he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, neither. He looked back at Iker. "We should get closer to the village. They might be in trouble."

"We- we couldn't help them, either way." Iker shook his head. "They're fine, they just... Don't have clocks. Neither do we. Maybe less time passed than we think."

Layne sighed and sat back down. In a way, he was relieved. He felt the urge to act 'heroic' just because he gave in to Victor that time and thought he needed to make up for it. Especially since Iker's brother was still there in the village. He didn't really want to go there. He just wanted to be safe, which he knew wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Or ever.

He heard footsteps when the source was still far away. Would have been hard not to – whoever that was, they were not trying to be silent. They were running. Fast.

Both of them jumped up and waited to see who would appear. Layne wasn't sure what to prepare for: fighting or running. It didn't take long before two women emerged in his field of view.

"Run!" Malia ordered but seeing Iker stand in place, Layne didn't rush to do as told.

"Where's Zander?" Iker yelled out in a high-pitched voice. At that point, Malia was close enough to snatch him by the arm and push him forward.

"Come on, go!"

Layne waited for Alana to catch up and started jogging in her pace. The woman was already panting but refused to stop. He decided that it wouldn't have been good to try to talk to her. Instead, he took her hand and gently pulled her forward, only hoping that it wouldn't make it worse.

Malia made a sudden stop and looked back. "Layne, you have to show us the way."

He didn't like the thought of that. If they were being chased, they'd lead them right to those innocent people. On the other hand, they already knew where the village was – at the very least, Victor did. Of course, he would have known where they were the second he'd notice Layne gone. There wasn't any way to prevent it in the first place.

He nodded and paced forward while Malia took his place with Alana. Iker, pale and visibly distressed, still didn't want to run, so Layne had to pull him by the arm, slowing them down significantly. He didn't even feel bad doing so. If Malia and Alana told them they had to run, it meant they had to run. They were the ones who knew the situation.

The village was relatively far away and they couldn't run for long. Layne kept glancing back at Alana until he realised that she wouldn't make it any longer. She was drenched in sweat and had severe difficulty breathing. Malia wasn't doing the best herself and Layne was starting to feel it as well.

It got to him that he never even saw any signs of them being chased. It was easy to dismiss not hearing the persecutors as it was hard to hear anything in the situation. Still, even going the fastest they could as a group, they were slow. They should have been caught already.

He stopped and so did everyone else. Malia clutched her stomach and Alana leaned forward, pressing on her knees. While everyone took their time catching their breath, Layne tried his best to listen to any possible danger, yet his ears felt heavy and he couldn't hear much besides his own panting and heartbeat.

"What's going on?" he stammered.

"Wrong people heard." Malia struggled to talk and Layne had to listen carefully to make out the words. "They got Zander and we-we had to retreat. I don't think they actually followed us."

"Why did we have to run?" He wanted to yell but instead, he whispered.

"We thought they would."

He started laughing but coughing took over.

"Let's walk," Alana suggested. "Just... Slowly."

They nodded. Except for Iker. He stood there with an expression of stone and refused to move. Layne wished he would have known what to do about it. But he didn't. So, he just pulled Iker behind him. He didn't resist.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.8K 2.4K 45
[Sequel to 'Don't Ever Leave'] Mark and Jack were finally living their happily ever after in their cabin, far away from civilization, in fear Mark wo...
9.6K 1.3K 25
Claudia is just like her mother. Rather than sitting on a throne, this princess would rather be out in the world, living her life. And like her mothe...
2.7K 156 20
Natalie Walker is a 17-year-old who was taken in by the Hunters almost a year ago. Just before the adoption could be finalized the mother leaving her...
ABHORRENCE {Complete} By C

Mystery / Thriller

54 5 5
"The difficulties lay not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping old ones" Technology had been playing its most important in the human lifest...