Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

By doeneseya

When Angel Hardin wakes from a ride-home nap on Valentine's Day, she finds a totaled car and flashing ambulan... More

WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO?
Prologue
1. The Final Proposal
2. The Decision
3. Polka Dot Wallet
4. The Caramel Latte
5. I O U
6. Parked
7. Bright Pink
8. My Milkshake Brings...
9. On The Steps
10. Not The Type
11. The Treatment
13. Espen
14. Curls
15. Like A Kid
16. The Concoction
17. Mini Social Life
18. Search Party
19. A Lana Lies
20. Intimations
21. Boyish
22. Soul Windows
23. The Grand Canal
24. Revenge
25. Doge's Palace
26. Striving
27. Rossini
28. Flowers and Happiness
29. Sleeping With The Enemy
30. Bombed Mission
31. Day Off
32. Pasta & Wine
33. Blindfold
34. 7:37 AM Show
35. Don't Be Shy
36. The Seline
37. Moments
38. Morning Show
39. Without Ransom
40. High
41. Hoarse
42. Spent
43. That's The Law
44. Netflix & Chill
45. London
46. Pillion
47. Zone 2
Thank You

12. Accept

1.4K 118 54
By doeneseya

The next morning, I wake up in the middle of the bed like the queen I feel like. My little head pops out of the heavy comforter to realize I haven't looked at my phone since we landed. I'm not even worried about it, until now. It's sitting in my purse... across the room. It could be dead. As I ponder, I hear a knock.

"Come in." I allow. 

Marcel comes in with a tray and two cups. Can I wake up to this every morning? I- I mean. Um. Not him! I'm talking about... I'm talking about the treatment.

"Good morning." He sits the tray on the bed.

"Good morning." I stretch under the covers, pulling them up to shield my pleased smile.

"How did you sleep?"

"I've been awake for 20 minutes and haven't moved. I slept great. How about you?"

"Well. Do you like tea?"

"Wow, we're really switching it up. Coffee to milkshakes and now tea. We're evolving. Yes." I untangle my arms from the sheets. He hands me the teacup and small plate. "Thank you."

"It's very hot." He warns as he slides the tray closer to me. I reach for the sugar.

"Is this normal for you?"

"Drinking tea? Yes." He takes a seat on the bed, sitting pretzel style. Cute.

"No, I mean going on trips with strange women?"

"You admit you're strange." He combs his fingers through his hair to get it out of his face. 

Shit, I don't even know what I'm looking like. Where's my bonnet? Besides me. Okay, we're a bit decent.

"Strangers." I correct.

"We're still strangers?"

"Generally."

"No, this isn't normal for me. Is it normal for you?"

"Anything but."

"I'm just looking to have a good time." He says. "I had a good time yesterday... minus the herring."

"Same here."

"Sorry I couldn't throw you a birthday party. Things were so last minute." He teases... he better be kidding.

"You must be joking." I chuckle. "My birthday was great. Thank you for bringing me along." I blow my steamy tea.

"You're welcome." He looks into his cup. "Thanks for wanting to spend time with me." I watch as he sneakily peeks up.

"Don't say it like that." I kick my leg, not hitting anything.

"Well." He shrugs and sips his tea. Stop. "It's hot." He points.

"Leave me alone."

"I saw the pictures you took yesterday. Why would you take a picture of me gagging on that repulsive fish?"

"To see this expression on your face." I simmer in it. His lips part in disbelief. "Classic." I create a camera with my fingers and wink as I tap the imaginary shutter.

Suddenly, my phone rings.

"Oooo, you're in trouble." Marcel mocks as I roll out of bed to get my purse. Once I dig up the device, I see a Facetime request from Ella.

"Shit." I debate declining the call. Accidentally, my finger brushes Accept. OH NO! OH NO!

As I run to the bed, my thumb covers the front camera long enough for me to get under the covers.

"Angel?" Ella's tone is understandably confused. "This is why I hate this phone. It stays acting up. Hello?"

"Good morning, Ella." I remove my finger after making myself comfortable. This is going to get hot fast! Wearing her black bonnet and a face mask, Ella scrunches up her mask at the screen. "Can you see me?"

"Yeah. What are you doing, building a fort?"

"I'm chilling." I sit up, trying to catch more light. "Why are you calling me so early?"

"I think I lost my house key."

"Sounds tragic. I'm going back to sleep." I prepare to tap the screen.

"Relax. I won't be home, until tomorrow. I just want you to keep an eye out for it."

"You probably left it in the door again." I feel it getting hot under these thick covers. "What time will you be home tomorrow? I may be out grocery shopping."

"Why don't you go today?" She smooths out her mask.

"Why don't you go? You live here too?"

"Because I don't feel like it," I can't read her true expression from beyond the mask, but I know it's twisted up.

"I don't feel like it either, but we gotta eat," I say, feeling Marcel's weight leave the bed.

"Anywhore, it's a Netflix marathon weekend?"

"Duh." I smile at my typical weekend plans. Wow, I'm lame.

"I'll leave you to it."

"Thanks. Tell Avery I said hello."

"Hey, Angel!" I hear her voice, but only see her hand waving.

"Hi, Avery. Don't let this fool call this early again."

"She was freaking out." Avery's round face appears in the bottom corner of the screen.

"Ah." I nod. "I'll talk to you guys tomorrow."

"Love you." Ella waves.

"Love you too." I wave as she blows me kisses and hangs up. After tossing the covers, the appreciation I have for cool air will forever be unmatched. I take a deep breath as my hair falls wherever.

"Nice hair." Marcel walks away from a painting he was gawking at. I run my fingers through my locks to tame the bird's nest.

"Are you hungry?"

"Do fish live in water?" He sasses.

"Does raw herring taste atrocious?" I fall back against my pillows with a victory smile.

"Do you want to go downstairs and check out the restaurants?" He takes my empty teacup off of the bed.

Once again, I crawl from under the covers. "I was thinking more of room service."

"Do you dance?" He randomly questions. Why, do you see my scars?

"I did ballet from 3rd to 8th grade and did track from 9th through 12th." I disclose to him. Lana and Ella don't even know that.

"It shows." He takes note of my bare legs. His compliments are never direct. I never know when to take one as such and say thank you, but I snatch this one.

"Thanks."

"Yeah." He grabs the menu off of the nightstand and hands it to me. "Order whatever. I'll eat it. I'm going to shower." He grabs the tea tray and walks out of the room. 

My eyes lift from my appointed task, but not my head as I watch him leave. Once he's out of sight, I sit up and pinch my bottom lip, then my arm.

"Okay, I thought so," I mutter to myself.

. . .

As I'm helping room service set the table, I see someone in a bathrobe leering around the corner.

"You can come out." I waltz around the table to set another plate. 

Marcel comes chuckling, freshly shower, little red nose, flat and damp hair. I'm going to start calling him Rudolph.

"Did you get the coffee?" He teases to see if I messed up. Holding the back of a chair, he leans over it to see what we've done. I point to the remaining items on the cart, which includes our precious coffee.

"Because of the tea, I got decaf for myself." I find my seat at one end of the decorated table. "Thank you, Barend." I praise my breakfast partner in crime.

"You're very welcome, Ms. Angel." The middle-aged fellow's smile is gracious and sweet.

"Oh," Marcel finds his seat at the other end of me. "he got your name within the first 5 minutes?"

"And it took you weeks to learn mine."

"Months?"

"Like a week. I shouted it after you took my cab." I pull my hair from out of my bathrobe as I get comfortable.

"Well, that explains why Angel was ringing in my head for the rest of the day." He easily recalls the day.

"I-"

"How long have you two been married?" Barend's white-bearded face turns as his sky-blue eyes exchange curious glances. 

What did he say? Why would he say that? What the hell made him think we're together? 

"Are you on your honeymoon?" He pours my coffee as I'm trying to clear the scandal in my throat. "There are so many honeymooners here this week." He takes note of our hands. 

What? Why is he looking at our- Oh my Jesus. That's a ring. 

Barend gently lifts my hand to eye the jewel. "Estelle diamond?" He looks at Marcel. Marcel has to peel his eyes from mine to Barend's. 

Why are your eyes so intense? Stop it, I'm dying. 

He swipes his eyes at the carats, then back to me. 

Oh my damn. I'm a goner.

I hear Marcel hum as he rests his elbow on the table.

"Um..." I begin to speak, but catch my lip in my mouth. Where do I go with this? 

Marcel's body holds a left lean as he spies down the table. His common inquisitive hand and squished face tells me to answer already.

"We're not-" I pause as Marcel gives me heightened brows. With that blow, for the first time, I look at my wedding band as a burden. If I say we're not married to each other, Barend will suspect an affair. "We're not on our honeymoon." I clean up, still feeling that I'm not out of the woods.

"How long have you been married?" Why are you so nosey?

"Darling?" Marcel applies more pressure on the situation by referring to me so sweetly. He sees how uncomfortable I am and he's relishing in it. I hate him.

"Not long. Abouuuut-" I draw out, soon to catch glimpse of Marcel's smirk sneaking from behind his shielding hand. "3 months." I fib.

Delighted by the answer, Marcel looks over to Barend and nods. With parted, thin lips, Barend's face shows genuine concern as he watches me, but speaks to Marcel. Was he waiting for me to mouth Help me? Apart of me wants to, but something tells me that wouldn't be appropriate.

"She's a difficult one, isn't she?"

"You have no idea." My fake husband agrees as he shifts his menacing attention back to me. 

I shake my jumbled mind as I bring my coffee to my lips. Clutching the handle tighter, I try to cease the shaking of the mug. I hate everyone in this room, including myself.

"Well, you make a beautiful match. Enjoy the rest of your stay." Barend's smile matches my fake one as he rolls his cart out of the room.

Wow, I feel so warm inside OR MAYBE THAT'S MY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. I'm so glad I found out who I can turn to when an awkward situation presents itself; DEFINITELY NOT MARCEL.

"You wanna go about the day as if that didn't happen?" His taunting nature continues as he watches my every fickle breath.

"Yes, please." I look at him for a moment before my eyes bounce elsewhere for succor. I could use a shot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.6K 680 24
Book is completed! ✅ * January 2, 2020: placed third in romance category for the Duck Awards! The crash that broke through the last of her desperate...
2.6K 149 41
When Ellie's car breaks down in the middle of the motorway, a group of boys are at her rescue, but she didn't expect she'd be their new neighbour...
463K 16.1K 25
Blossom and Bloom Graceful and Tender - She couldn't believe her ears, or her eyes. Her husband, the man she loves, the father of her unborn baby, wa...
453 118 19
Leaving home can be an adventure, making friends, building a new life, that's what many dream of doing, but what happens when after years of working...