His Blue ✓

By MalibuGardner

Indie Jasper is a shy, unknown writer. Anson Fischart is the school's pretty boy. Indie is not popular by an... More

Introduction
Character Aesthetics
1| Class with the QB
2| Paradox
3| Breach of privacy
4| Blue
5| Lonesome swan
6| Don't do emotions
7| A man's pride
8| Not ashamed
9| Friday night lights
10| Drowsiness
11| Roofie
12| Crumble
13| Amends
14| You are different
15| Not the type
16| Movie date
17| Distrust
18| Seven minutes in heaven
19| Tears
20| Meet Dad
21| Knuckles
22| Fortune Cookie
23| Muse
24| Impressment
25| Wet
26| After kissing
27| Concession confession
28| Safeguarded
29| Forget
30| Placeholder
31| Partners
32| To those who wait
33| Rejection
34| Bluer
35| Avoidance
36| Locked in
37| Letterman jacket
38| Girls' night w/ Anson
39| Family
40| Panic! At the football game
41| Causes
42| Unexpected hug
43| Self-defense
44| Engagement
45| Champagne caresses
46| Explosion
47| Broken home
48| Want
49| Thanksgiving
50| Between the sheets
51| Intensive Care Unit
52| Shattered
53| Argument
54| A second time
author's ending note
my other work

55| Christmas gift

49.6K 1.2K 360
By MalibuGardner

     A golden shimmer is cast off of the intricately woven light strands that wrap around the piney branches of the Christmas tree. The lights have been ceaselessly shining, night after night, in the large window of the Fischart home.

   For the first time, however, they are being looked upon by more than just the residents of the home. Guests of Kurt gather around the room murmuring good tidings and drinking eggnog. The smells of ham and baked crescent rolls fill the air.

    Eva works tirelessly in the kitchen, cooking and preparing tonight's Christmas Eve meal. Bryn sits on the couch with Kurt's early Christmas gift to Anson- a young Airedale terrier named Ziggy (Anson's choice of name, endorsed by Bryn).

    She pets the wiry brown-black fur with a hand; my mother stands beside of her, chatting to a stranger. It warms my heart to see them so comfortable with Anson's friends and family.

     I'm glad they know how to get along with everyone they meet.

     I snap a few pics with my two-year-old canon camera. I review my photos quickly after. I notice how on the camera screen, the vibrant reds and greens of the poinsettias poke out of the corner. My heart flutters with happiness; about that same time, I feel familiar fingertips on my arm.

    I turn my head slightly to the side as Anson kisses my face with care. His hands rub my frame as he watches the party guests from behind me. "Merry Christmas Eve," He whispers into my ear.

     "And where have you been?" I smirk, not looking at him.

     "Chatting." He says with a deep laugh. "Did you know it's snowing outside?"

     "No way!" I say. I pull away from his embrace and look out the windows. Sure enough, white flakes flutter from the sky.

     I think for a moment.

    "I wonder if Bryce can see these from his hospital room?" My breath fogs the glass.

    It's been several days since we got the phonecall that he was being moved out of ICU. Now begins the excruciating wait for him to return to us.

     Anson is silent. His fingers entwine with my own.

    "Let's join our guests." He finally says. "This party was your idea."

    I blush, allowing him to pull me to the center of the group. Fern and Leo make their way to us. Her pale green eyes remind me of the season.

     "I'm so glad that we came." She releases Leo's hand to hug me. I squeeze my eyes shut to embrace my lifelong friend.

     "You'll always be welcome here." My voice is warm.

      "We're going to have a seat." She clutches Leo's arm once more and winks in my direction before they go to settle next to the other guests.

    "Incoming!" I hear Anson's voice call behind me. I laugh as Ziggy springs over in my direction. Anson ruffles his pet's fur with a hand.

    Unexpectedly, he clears his throat. "Can I have everyone's attention for just a moment?" He straightens his stance as he calls out across the living room.

     The guests quickly go silent; I settle in curiously beside of Bryn. Anson smiles.

    What's he doing? I think quizzically.

    "Before we eat, I have something to say."  He explains.

What could this be about?

"Many of you know that this year has been a difficult one for me. I've lost and gained things that I would have never imagined I could lose or gain. Certain people," His eyes twinkle in my direction, "have managed to completely alter the outcome of my existence. Today I can honestly say how grateful I am for all of it."

    He bites his lip, voice suddenly shaky. "My best friend was injured about a month ago. It's been a tough journey for him. It did a good job of reminding me how important nights like tonight are. Nights where I can truly express that the greatest gift of all is being surrounded by you people, right here."

    Our friends and family murmur in melancholy agreement.

    He opens his mouth to continue, but behind him the front door suddenly swings open. A gust of cold air fills the room, and the outline of a familiar face is visible.

    Could it be?! My heart leaps into my throat.

    I'm on my feet in no time. Anson stands firm in front of the tree, looking at the visitor in surprise.

    Without delay, I run over and assist Bryce through the door. His parents, Lois and Dennis help push the wheelchair he's in across the threshold.

      When he's made it in the room, I help pull his scarf and coat off. His dark eyes blink up at me thankfully. Anson takes the clothing from me and sets them aside.

    I'm unaware of who's watching as I gently hug Bryce, making sure to put no weight on him.

    "You made it out of the hospital." I say in awe.

    His chocolate brown eyes are bright despite his obstacles. He offers a smile. "You and Anson of all people know I couldn't pass up this party."

      His spirit brings tears of joy to my eyes. I realize how lucky i am, how lucky we all are to still have Bryce.

      My lips press to his cheek gently. "Welcome back." I say with misty eyes.

      "Shit, Indie." He whispers, wiping his damp eyes with a bandaged hand. "Are you always this emotional?"

     I chuckle softly, Anson comes to hold my body. He shakes Bryce's hand. "I don't think I ever got to tell you how thankful I was for you."

     Bryce smiles shyly. "I know how often you two visited me when I was in ICU."

      We gently begin a conversation, like old times. In the distance, mom offers Lois and Dennis a chair amongst the others. Eventually Eva makes an announcement from the kitchen that dinner is ready. Guests begin to take seats at the tables, stopping, congratulating, and well-wishing Bryce on his recovery.

     For the first time in a month, a feeling of true peace settles over me. Bryce is home. Kyle is gone. Anson is mine. I am strong.

    True, There's no telling what's in store for us. There's no telling what may come along to shake the peace that I'm feeling.

The beautiful thing is that I got to feel peace at all, if only just for a day.

     While I reflect, a commotion with Anson and Bryn catches my attention. They play with Ziggy off to the side of the room. Bryn tosses the dog a piece of cookie and Anson pretends not to notice.

    Bryce rolls beside of me in his wheelchair. He laughs. "There are some incredible people in this room."

     I smile. "Yourself included."

    "Thanks." He rolls his eyes playfully. "Honestly, You don't know how glad I am to get a second chance at life. A second chance to spend time with Anson, the football team, and you." 

     I nod, looking down at his new confinement. I wonder to myself if he'll be in this chair for good. Deciding not to ask, I instead begin chatting about the winter weather.

    It isn't long until his mushy feelings have been replaced by his old attitude. He quickly accuses me of 'boring him', and he rolls off to harass Eva for dessert samples. Alone again, I admire the party that Anson and I put together.

     We've got to do this again next year. I vow. Anson joins me for the second time tonight and chuckles to himself. "Bryce made it. I don't know about you, but he really got me good."

    I frown. "You didn't know he was coming?"

    He didn't have any clue at all?

    He shakes his head. "No. But now that he's here, I've got everything I need. You. My dad. Your sister and mom. Bryce." He smiles. "Merry Christmas."

    "Eve." I add with a smirk.

    He rolls his eyes and grips my hand. His lips press against my palm. "I know I probably won't see you tomorrow until late. I want to give you your present now."

    I glance at the busy guests, none of which have noticed me and Anson stepping aside. I look into his deep blue eyes and nod. "Okay, then let me get yours."

   I run over to my purse and grab my gift to Anson.

    I had a feeling I might decide to give it to him early.

    He smirks. "Put on your coat and meet me outside."

    I bundle up like instructed, gripping my gift close to my chest and stepping out back of Anson's house. He waits for me with a smile.

    "Let me go first." He says, holding out a box, and opening it slowly. My eyes widen when I see the necklace inside the box. It's a silver, dainty bar-shaped necklace. It's fine, with small sapphires studding the bottom of the chain where the bar is.

     My eyes mist when I read the words engraved in the metal.

     His Blue

    "Put it on." Anson's voice is low. He gently takes the necklace from the box, unclasping it. I gather my hair up in my hands behind my head.

   He brings the chain around me and fastens it from behind. I let my hair down, looking down at the precious gift.

    "I love it." I choke out. Turning quickly to face him, I lose no time grasping his head between my hands.

    His thumb brushes a freezing tear from my cheek. "I love you, Indie Jasper. You're my best friend. You're my Blue. I know it's just a necklace, but I hope wherever you go, you'll remember that I love you. Always."

    I nod quickly, biting my lip and trying to keep from sobbing into his perfectly-toned chest. I grab my present and hold it out to him.

    It's haphazardly wrapped, but the contents inside are days in the making. He raises a brow in concentration, gently ripping the wrapping paper from the gift.

    He soon reveals a small black book. He curiously opens it, to discover the collection of momentos I've organized for him. Each page is carefully laminated and binded. Each page tells a story, about us. About Anson.

    Some photos of our favorite places, favorite dates cover the book's interior. There are also collections of random things I've jotted down on notebook paper about him, from laying awake next to him as he slept, to sitting next to him in class.

    Most importantly of all, though, are my poems. Poems I wrote about the times I've spent with him. Poems about the bluff. About our first kiss. Each poem was written by me, for only Anson to read.

    After skimming through the pages in a stupor, it's Anson's turn to sniffle. His lips press into a firm line; his eyes glisten. He takes a deep breath, shaking his head at me.

    "You're too good."

    "I wouldn't have had any of that without you." I point to the book seriously. He tucks it into his large coat pocket.

    "I'll treasure it forever, my love."

   My cheeks go pink and I reach out to hold him. I press my cheek against his chest, his hands slip over my dark hair. I feel his lips on my forehead, before I lean back and expose my lips to him. The kiss is sweet, full of passion but being equally consumed in steadiness. It's a kiss built on something that neither Anson or I have felt with anyone else, ever.

The air is completely silent now that freshly-fallen snow blankets the ground.

    The only thing I hear is the beating of Anson's heart, so close to my own.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.6M 462K 65
Lucas Sawyer has gotten used to being forgotten. His twin brother Mark, captain and star quarterback, everyone's favorite, gets the spotlight. Lucas...
350K 3.5K 17
𝗞𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲'𝘀 𝗮 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿 𝗶𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴. 𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝗳𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿. Leaving her broken home to at...
160K 9K 61
A girl, haunted by her past was living in solitude. A man, running from his own demons. When their paths collide, the girl wants to run, but the guy...
1.4M 44.1K 92
"You're mine. And I don't think you wanna go against that." Her eyes dangerously darkened. He gulped, and nodded a yes. --- Everybody has a story. An...