Theurgy: Forsaken Oaths (Book...

By ChaosHimself

"I pledge myself only to those I love, those who have earned my love warily, for I know that betrayal can onl... More

Chapter 1 The Rightful
Chapter 2 The Warrior
Chapter 3 The Return
Chapter 4 Promises
Chapter 5 An Unfamiliar Home
Chapter 6 Antalya
Chapter 7 To Valoria
Chapter 8 Who was I
Chapter 9 Intertwined
Chapter 10 Move forward
Chapter 11 The Warfront
Chapter 12 Echoes
Chapter 13 The Black Hand
Chapter 14 Desperate Times
Chapter 16 Descend
Chapter 17 The Forest of Ice
Chapter 18 The Wild Halls
Chapter 19 The Avenger
Chapter 20 What We Lost
Chapter 21 Cold Hearts
Chapter 22 Erusland
Chapter 23 The Betrayer
Chapter 24 The Spacial Magician
Chapter 25 To See and Know
Chapter 26 The Undead Centurion
Chapter 27 The Ruined of Antalya
Chapter 28 The Necromancer
Chapter 29 Making Amends
Interlude 1 House of Pesmenos
Chapter 30 The King of Skis
Chapter 31 The Madman
Chapter 32 Departures
Chapter 33 The Summer Festival
Chapter 34 The Ashen Road
Chapter 35 The Ice Devils
Chapter 36 The Prince's Doubt
Chapter 37 Bounty Hunter
Chapter 38 A Knight of the Empire
Chapter 39 Ghost of the Past
Chapter 40 A Duel With Death
Chapter 41 Prisoner of War
Interlude 2 Vessels of the Gods
Chapter 42 The Azure Bay
Chapter 43 The Fear of Death
Chapter 44 Negotiations Are Over
Chapter 45 The Dragon Prince
Chapter 46 Hunt in the Dark
Chapter 47 Cinder and Ash
Chapter 48 Goddess of War
Chapter 49 The Matron
Chapter 50 Point of No Return
Chapter 51 Escape Erusland
Chapter 52 The Empire Lives
Chapter 53 Dragon's Seige
Chapter 54 Aphrodi'Sia
Interlude-Aphrodite
Chapter 55 Cold Justice
Chapter 56 Interrogation
Chapter 57 The Assassins
Chapter 58 Trail of Ice Begins
Chapter 59 Enter The City of Pleasure
Chapter 60 Pursuit
Chapter 61 God Slayers
Chapter 62 The Dragon Born
Chapter 63 Children of the Empire
Chapter 64 The Broken Mantel
Chapter 65 Weapons of Man
Chapter 66 Chaos Bringer
Characters from Theurgy: Forsaken Oaths

Chapter 15 The Raid

160 27 0
By ChaosHimself

        After their meeting, Ryan was sent home to prepare for that night. So much weighed on him that he felt exhausted by the time he reached the front door. Fortunately, all things looked safe. And well, though the street was for the first time empty of the kid's usual games and atmosphere. The air seemed a bit ominous with them not here. But this is indeed for the best. He opened the door and was pleased to find that despite not doing all they wished, the kids, of course, found ways to entertain themselves. The air was alive with the smells of fresh pies, pies that would have been enjoyed at the beach if they went through with their plans as previously, but either way, at least they were all having a great time. On the other hand, Ryan found himself sitting on the floor just before the door, trying to take in what would happen in the coming nights, what he would have to do, and what this prince wanted with him. He never considered it before, but could it be that Talin is in Antalya? Is that why the prince is here? That seems to be the meaning behind his words, but he was too afraid to admit that fact. Not because he feared Talin, he feared what that meant for him. That his goal to liberate this world of their filth, which he abandoned, was not a fool's errand. That he had given up when he was so close to uncovering them from their darkness. And worst yet, they were in the same city as his family. It weighs so much, but what other choice does he have but to bear it?

"Are you alright, Ryan?"

He looked up to see Rachel clutching her doll.

He gave her a small smile. "Everything is alright, sweetie, go play with the others."

She gave him a hesitant look, looking down at her stuffed doll and not looking up at him. "I wanted to go to the beach. I've . . . never seen the ocean. Why can't we go, Ryan?"

"I promise you that we will go to the beach someday," Ryan said. "I promise when it's safe."

"Are you talking about monsters?" she asked. "Is that why we can't go outside anymore?"

"Yeah." Ryan lamented. "Yeah, there are monsters out there. But I'm going to find them and make sure they won't hurt us, okay?"

He patted her on the head to reassure her, though he wasn't sure how effective he could be. She started a game of tag with the other children, and he looked to Avery, who was still baking in the cooking area. For a moment, their gazes crossed, and she quickly looked away as if even looking at him hurt. He understands this current arrangement was stressful. It seems the cold fingers of his past were still haunting him. And now, he was letting it affect them as well. This was why he left, after all, so that they did not have to suffer this oppression, this paranoia. It was his battle, afterall. And he wanted to make sure it stayed that way.

"Is there anywhere we can take the kids?" he asked her.

"If you mean out of the city, then I don't have the slightest clue," she sighed, closing the hatch to the oven. "We don't keep good contact with those that left the orphanage. I wouldn't begin to know where . . . Ryan, are we going to be safe?"

"I don't know," he said. "I wish I knew."

"It's hard for me even to imagine Veronica could do something like this," she said, her voice twisted as if they hurt even to speak. "Even after all this time. She came to our home."

"I can fix this," Ryan said. "I can make all this go away; just trust me, alright?"

"I do," she turned to him. Though her voice was well poised, her face was drawn with pain, and tears were close to bursting in their sockets. "I trust you, Ryan."

Ryan hugged her more tightly than he had ever hugged anyone before. "I promise, everything is going to be alright."

(X)

Lyse sat alone in his chambers. The raid shall begin in just a few short hours, their first strike against this Bok, and more importantly, Talin itself. If they are indeed connected to all that has transpired in this city, they will surely react to what will be done, they will have to. They want to stop him from acquiring godslayers and perhaps kill him before he continues to interfere with their goals; that much is clear. He was safe in Valoria, but now he's wide in the open. He is surprised that they had made no attempt on his life in the week he has been in Antalya, but who knows their intentions? That is for him to discover, after all. And then there was Ryan. His conviction is questionable. Lyse is uncertain whether or not he can trust him, but he knows that Fate has chosen him to be a godslayer, and he intends to discover why. Even the gods lament why or how Fate decides its godslayers. But if he is going to fight this enemy, he needs allies he can trust.

People he knows. Lyse watched the sun reaches its highest peak in the sky, and right on queue, he felt a tingling sensation at the back of his mind, then a massive pull on his conscious that ripped him from his body and into the abyss. Lyse could not prepare himself for the sensation of being here, despite his mother's warnings. Everything felt cold till freezing, even though he didn't have a body to feel anything. Here, he was a mere spectral apparition of his authentic self. This was the plane of darkness, after all, or at least a part of it by what he had read. To think they had the capabilities to communicate in such a way was almost a baffling notion, but he knew better than be surprised by Theurgy.

"Thank Fate, you are alive," he turned to see his mother, dressed in what he assumed to be her attire. Like him, she appeared a faint blue image of herself, though her avra flow was far more rapid than his own. Though he did notice on her hands, through transparent gloves, the blue aura gave way to sickly green whisps.

"I'm glad you are doing well too, mother," he said.

"Then let's get the others then Remmus."

"Of course," Lyse over to see the Grandmaster himself waving his hands about in gestures, as two more bright glows began to appear: Edlund and his aunt Lidia. Edlund most of all looked like he was going to keel over at any moment from the strain, but he managed somehow. Lidia immediately looked to her sister and Remmus with a strike glance, then looked to him and Edlund. Lyse noticed that out of everyone here, Remmus appeared most vividly. His wide-brimmed hat now hung on his back by a chord and a staff at his side. Lidia looked quite irritated, though Lyse couldn't guess whether this was simply her base emotional state at most times. By what his mother describes her, he couldn't say for sure just yet.

"Just as scheduled," Remmus said. "It's been a while; sorry if the ride was a bit rough; got to shake off the rust."

"I feel like I'm going to throw up," Edlund said queasily. "I have a battle tomorrow, you know. We just stopped to camp."

"You'll be fine," Remmus told him.

"Make sure to eat plenty," Celia told him. "You'll need the energy. You don't want to go into battle on an empty stomach."

"He's not infantile, Celia," Lidia said. "He can take care of himself."

"But thanks for the advice anyway," Edlund said.

"So," Remmus began. "What have you discovered so far, Lyse? We can start with you."

"Very well," he said. "I have located the next godslayer, a man named Ryan Pesmenos who resides here in Antalya."

"Pesmenos?" Lidia asked. "I'm sure I've heard that name before."

"It can't be," Remmus said. "That family, they were massacred years ago by Talin themselves. Are you telling me that this man is the last surviving one, are you certain?"

"You seem quite familiar with the name," Celia prodded.

"They were a family of warriors in the outlands," he explained. "They journeyed far and wide to learn the secrets of warfare no matter where it came from. A former student of mine was born in this family. Last I heard, they were annihilated in a massacre, all the bodies burned to unrecognition. I was unaware that a survivor could even be a possibility."

"Fate has guided him to us, then," Lyse said. "I sense deep hatred in his heart, though misdirected. Given time, he is sure to be an asset to us."

"Good," Celia said. "So you can return then?"

Lyse quickly shook his head. "Unfortunately not. At least not until we find and root out Talin's hold here and whatever they are doing."

"So my suspicions were indeed not unfounded," Lidia said. "You should listen to me more, sister, my instincts continue to account for themselves."

"What exactly are they doing in Antalya, though," Celia questioned. "Are they hunting this Ryan perhaps, or do they have some other ulterior motive we can not see."

"Forgive me, but I can not say just yet," Lyse lamented. "They continue to dwell in the shadows. While I try to tread carefully, I'm afraid only drastic action will draw them out. There is also this drug going into circulation here. For that, I am unsure of its importance."

"Very well," Celia sighed. "This bodes well for us so far, but until our enemy moves upon you, it will be difficult to determine what we would be able to do. As for me, there was an attempt the infiltrate my garrison o my way to the wild halls."

"Really," Edlund asked. "How do you know?"

"Fortunately, they were killed before they had the opportunity, sparing one of my knights, but two soldiers died," she said. "One got away, but who knows whether they could succeed elsewhere."

"John and I will be joining you at the wild halls," Remmus reminded her. "We may perhaps be able to root out any impostors or potential assassins that may be lurking near."

"And my diamond will shatter anyone who tries to get close," Liz said. "They would be foolish to come to the Wild Halls where all sorts of the strongest across the land gather."

"Um, aunt Liz?" Edlund raised his hand. "Forgive me if I'm out of line, but It doesn't matter how strong you are if you get a dagger in your throat."

"Say it with your chest, then," she growled at him. "Why are you raising your hand? We are all equal here."

"Err, right," Edlund said, then cleared his through to speak more thoroughly. "I was just saying that Talin may have their ways of handling targets too powerful for them. So I would just like to say to be on guard is all ma'am."

"That's better," she said. "But also redundant. Of course, we will be careful. Besides, we are going to the Wild Halls. I'm sure we will find all sorts of security there."

Remmus nodded, then turned to Celia. "And finally, Celia, what news do you offer this day? Have you found any signs of Talin in Silondras or the other kingdoms?"

Solemnly she shook her head. "Unfortunately, no. Information is slow coming, but we intend to get more at the Wild Halls itself. Makyra is already ahead, making sure that nothing suspicious will be underfoot, and as Lizbeth said, we will have ample protection. One other thing. We recently had an infiltration attempt amongst our knights."

"Really," Edlund said incredulously. "Already?"

"Of course, the time to strike would be while you are moving," Lyse said. "Comrades would have eventually discovered them, but it would have given them at least an opening to assassinate you and Massia."

"Are you alright, then?" Edlund asked. "You and Massia?"

"We are okay," she said. "But Massia is a bit spooked, however. She hasn't slept since the attack and is a bit on edge as well."

"I'm sure you will be safe," Lyse said. "You have a Paladin with you after all."

"Of course," Celia said. "Though I don't know how much longer till my luck runs wild. Times will only get harder from here. And our enemy will not let up. But I'm sure, Lyse, Edlund, that we will pull through this and put an end to this thousand-year war. I'm counting on you."

"We will do all we can," Lyse said.

"You can count on us."

(X)

Ryan opened the doors to the main lounging area. He hadn't taken everything, just what he needed as far as he knew. The knight had told him to take what he thought he needed and come back to the military police headquarters for whatever else he may need. Still, he wore his throwing knives tucked under his cloak in their holster and a short sword at his side, the only visible weapon. He has never seen a raid before, so he was a little unsure what it may intel. But if he is going to face multiple enemies, throwing knives will be an excellent weapon to have on. Unfortunately, he didn't have armor that was a bit too hard to come by, but that could be sorted out later. Though it hasn't been some time since his last incursion, stealing that gem from the warlord Dragus, dawning his weapons, leaving a heavy feeling as he has never felt. It felt like a familiar responsibility came with them that he had neglected to acknowledge. These weapons have taken him to many places in the past, and now they will take them further. Their worn hilts and aged blades will prove to carry him even further, he dreads. Further from here, and closer to his enemies. And then there was the pendant the prince gave to him and told him to keep. Slowly, he began to feel some soft power from it, ever so slightly if he concentrated on it.

But in contrast to when he first received it, he could feel that power, spoken of its importance in his future. It now lay beneath his attire, pulsating with his heartbeat as if alive. He has never felt magic like it before. There was something ominous and decidedly inhuman about it he couldn't put his finger on.

It was coming to be later in the day. And only when he looked around to say goodbye to the children did he see that most were gone. He had only gone to take a bath.

"Where are they?" he asked Rachel, playing with her dolls with another younger girl. They both looked up at him, and he imagined that he looked rather grim. He tried for a small smile, kneeling to them. "Where'd everyone go, Rachel?"

"Someone came to the door not an hour earlier," she said. "That man from before. He asked for you, and when she said you were taking a bath, he asked if he could play with the kids?"

"Really?" Ryan looked puzzled at her, but she nodded to confirm. He walked to the door and pushed it open into the street, and sure enough, some of the kids were up to their usual antics amongst the dimming sky. They were playing handball, laughing and cheering as Lyse performed great tricks with the ball to entertain the lot in the middle of them. Like any knight, using the skills taught could make the ball do all sorts of things. He was making it as light as a balloon to gently float to his target and perform otherwise impossible tasks and weighing it down till it was too heavy even to move, then launching it far into the air before gracefully catching it as it descended. All while jumping, twirling, and dashing through the air like an elegant dancer. He must have noticed Ryan in the midst of one of these twirls, as he suddenly readjusted in midair to land before him as the ball gently trailed into his open hands.

"At least you're having plenty of fun," Ryan said. "But don't we have much more important things to do than galavant around right now."

"Come now," Lyse laughed, tossing the ball over his shoulder towards the children, who tried to grab at the light object before it touched the ground. "If today's to be my last, I'd hate to spend it without saying goodbye to these wonderful kids."

"Will you be back, mister?" asked one of them, Jake, who managed to catch the ball.

Lyse bent down and patted him on the head, tousling his already mangled hair. "I promise little one. and I promise to bring Ryan back as well."

The kid smiled and gave a satisfied nod before heading off t play with the others. Ryan sighed; at least the prince was right on that account. If he hadn't said anything, he would have just left without saying a word. But he knew better as he looked back to the door to see Avery waiting there. Looking down t them, her face indecipherable, she looked upon them with something akin to worry and apprehension. At least her fears made her forget to bow to the prince this time, but that poured all the attention on him. Neither knew what to say. He can promise her many things, but he doubts many of them will hold weight here of all places. It feels like they've been in this situation so many times before. But this time was different. He was different, he was sure.

"We will be back by daybreak," he said. "Zeke will be back from his job by then too. So keep the kids safe, alright?"

She nodded slowly but then looked to Lyse, trying hard not to mind them. "Please be careful."

"When haven't I," he chuckled half-heartedly, but even he could feel how disingenuous it must have sounded. "I will not fail you all, Avery. I promise you that."

"I . . . believe you," she said, barely above a whisper. "Please come back to me."

"I . . . " Ryan was going to lie. He was going today to come back and do all in his powers to do so. But when those words finally came to the tip of his tongue, they ceased, grabbed by a desire that burned within him, that threatened to burn all in his path. A wave of anger he knew required more, much more. But he knew he could say one thing to speak with all his conviction. "I love you, Avery. Never forget that."

He felt the pendent surge with a strange warmth engulfed him as he felt his temperature rise despite the declining sun. Fortunately, Avery too began to blush heavily as she nearly retreated further into the house. But she did seem to consider his words for a moment before returning a faint smile. All the kids were silent at this display before them, some snickering, others confused. Lyse hid the small smile crawling across his face as Ryan turned to him, his face reddening as he began to walk away. Lyse followed suit, but Avery's voice called after him before they could get out of earshot. "I love you too, you idiot."

Ryan let out a slow sign, but at least that burden will not be on his chest when going into battle. Still, the pendant against his chest warmed a bit by bit, but as he concentrated on it, the hot gem did seem to smoothen out a bit.

"Feeling ready?" Lyse asked him.

"As ready as I'll ever be," he said.

"Good," Lyse said. "Because we will be heading into the fire's den here."

(X)

The raid was to be conducted in the dead of night. This was the most opportune time, as it may. The nightlife of Antalya was anything but. It seemed everyone ran for their homes as if hurried by gruesome monsters of plagues. The only purveyors of this time were town guards and the many businesses that required this shadowed shelter to conduct their wares as was to be expected by Lyse and the captain. And also by Ryan. He had told them that by tonight, he was to confront Veronica and her men to save Adin. Like a sea of hurried fishes, the military police moved through the silent, empty streets, shoving all aside who came outside to see the commotion and warning all to go in their homes. Who knows what may commence very soon. Bucklers and blades, guns, and crossbows heaved the available vantage points along the harbor for any indication of men fleeing the scene. They have practically secluded the entire district in but a few moments, roads blacked with wagons, roofs covered by sharpshooters, and even the seas patrolled by two warships. And at the epicenter of this intense situation was just one warehouse. As Ryan drew closer, he felt his heart pittering to slowness as his senses seemed to sharpen. His breathing evened as he thought his aura began to flare. He was readying as he always has. But this will be slightly different. He was far more accustomed to attacking from the shadows and being unseen for long moments at a time. While he could fight in the open, it was far from his preferred method. But he supposed why the prince decided to come. Despite course the many pleadings of the captain for him to think otherwise, he reminded her that he was not some diplomat on formal greetings, but indeed a warrior on the mission, and he is to carry out that mission by any means necessary, barring no safety to his person. Ryan can admit that he found his willingness to launch himself headlong into this danger a tad inspirational, or at least charmingly foolish. But their skills will prove themselves there.

"How did it come to this Veronica?" Ryan found himself asking. He thinks back to his younger years, the last time he had seen Veronica and her sister. They seemed relatively gentle souls then. When he heard that she went into the smuggling business, he didn't stop thinking how far things could go. She was just trying to survive, indeed, but that didn't excuse her actions now. Threatening the orphanage and the kids just to draw out what this lord Bok wants. He promised to free her from his control. She was not his enemy, just a pour victim to this place, of Talin worst of all.

Within, Veronica narrowed her eyes as she could hear the faint sounds of footsteps. But of course, she couldn't see anything from her vantage. The warehouse was split into two levels. Carved down into the soggy ground to allow the river to flow in, boats of relatively large size could dock in for the dozens of cranes and pullies to pull off heavier cargo. These cranes, situated on the floor above, held a man bound to the end of one of the pulleys very much conscious and looking down at the waters below. One instruction and he would be dropped in, still bound. They took all of his cards or anything that could be used for magic. If Ryan proved either a coward or an idiot, Adin would suffer a painfully slow drowning death. At least, that was the plan. But now, she was unsure. And her men looked anxious as the footsteps got louder and closer. Did she call the military police, Ryan? Why would he risk such a thing, and why would the military police do anything a bounty hunter had to say?

"Boss," one of her men called out. "What's that racket? What's going on out there."

She nodded to the man operating the crane nearest a window. "Go over and check it out, will ya, Geoff?"

Geoff nodded, pulling his hands from the crane lever and to the window to his side. The windows were of pour quality and cracked, but he did make out lights in the distance calling to distant fires or lanterns, as well as a few men running in the darkness off in the remote alley ways. But nothing he could make out directly. Still, he held his gun clutched as he looked out to his leader.

"Don't see nothing," he said. "Seems like commotion down further the docks is all. D'you think-"

The window he was observing suddenly burst, shards of glass flung about as a man leaped through the window. Geoff, who was caught in all surprise, could do nothing as a steel-toed boot met the side of his head and sent him sprawling into the murky waters below. A man in full armor and a kite shield shouted drawing all attention at his blade gleamed a white light as he landed on both feet gracefully. Only a knight could have done such a thing in heavy armor. One of the other men who was just shaking away from the shock began to draw a blade, but the Lyse caught the moment, and he moved with unmatched speed, grabbing the man with one hand and effortlessly flinging him into the wall. This, however, gave time for everyone else to draw their blades and guns as bullets began to fly in his direction. Unfortunately for them, however, they might as well have been throwing weightless paper balls, as he had plenty of time to raise his large shield and block the first volley of bullets from all around, his blade eager to retaliate. The socketless helm that he wore radiated unease, as he seemed an inhumane creature before them, now pointing forth a one-handed broadsword.

But he was only the distraction. Unbeknownst to any of them, Ryan slipped out undetected in the chaos. He slinked about like a snake amongst foliage, sticking to shadows as he maneuvered the catwalk, systematically taking out her shooters who carried high-powered rifles that would have undoubtedly ensured that he didn't do anything rash once he arrived. By the time any of them caught sight of his rapid approach, a knife had been flung to embed themselves in the chest or any exposed bits. Those who did not meet the swiftest deaths were subsequently knocked out with a devastating blow from him, as he now looked to Adin, who looked wide-eyed still at the knight making his way down to the lower decks. Ryan looked around and spotted near the man Lyse had knocked out cards spread about along with what appeared to be Adin's immediate possessions. He grabbed one of the cards and in a daring leap, jumped to hold onto the dangling man midair, startling him. If his previous antics didn't catch anyone's attention, this indeed did as he heard Veronica shout frantically though clearly divided upon who to prioritize. Ryan pulled out the cloth gag from Adin's mouth as he took in a deep breath.

"Ryan, friend?" he asked. "Is that you? I knew you'd come."

"Stop blabbering you daft bastard" he hissed. "You and I will have words. Just get the hell out of here."

Carefully, Ryan cut loose his bonds, holding his hands together, and placed the card he had grabbed in the mage's hands. Adin, per his instructions, said not a word but gave a smile as he felt the familiar flow of magic envelope his body. And in a flash of light, he was gone. Not gone, but invisible. Ryan felt him slip from his restraint and into the river with a splash. During this battle, not a soul could expect him to be able to slip away. Part one of this plan was dealt with, now on step two. He could see men moving further back into the second storage room of this warehouse, still firing back as Lyse finally made his way down the steps onto the lower level and waving to Ryan to follow. Veronica had fled inside, and they couldn't afford to let her escape. She was Bok's right hand and knew most of his operations. If she ran, it would put all this effort to mean practically nothing. Swinging from the chains that had previously held Adin, he managed to make his way to the lower level behind Lyse. The bullets would be no use to the like of them. That's why they were the spearpoint. The military police will swoop in after to apprehend all disarmed and dealt with.

The area they found themselves in was quite a bit larger, packed with all sorts of crates and goods that had been hauled and stored here temporarily before merchants and vendors could come for them. Bullets sparked oof of Lyse's shield and armor whenever anyone had the time to fire, but once again, Ryan peeled away, making his way around and ducking behind cover. He spotted Veronica fleeing near the very back, opening up a latch that no doubt led deeper into this warehouse. This entire scenario was far from her conscious control, now was the time to retreat.

"She's getting away," he yelled to Lyse.

"I'll hold off those in here," he said, brandishing his blade. "You get to her, understood?"

Ryan didn't need to answer. Like a tiger, he bounded his way over obstacles and through cover to pounce on the unexpecting prey. Blades were flung till men fell as he moved. Lyse unsheathed his sword, and with a flick of his wrist, a tail of writhing light leaped forward. It mainly was a distraction as men found themselves ducking away and backing up before the fire could reach them, only to see the knight charge them in the meantime. His blade glided with ease as it snapped a cutlass in half of a nearby thug before a swift kick sent him flying into boxes of flour and dried product. He drew every man's attention. He was engaging with them with relative ease,weaving through their blows and allowing them not a foot of ground. One by one, they fell, helpless before this man who could block bullets with comfort and efficiency. His sword played immaculately as he felled man after man, not halting in her movements, not even once. Soon, most if not all were either writhing on the ground due to their wounds, unconscious, few dead. His blade gleamed with blood, but he made sure to pay no mind to it now. The captain swarmed in with her men, looking about the remains of the scene that had taken place.

"Where is Ryan?" she asked him.

"He's after the rest of Bok's men," he spoke through his faceless helmet. "I'm going after them. There may be a route down in the depths leading to the ruins. We can't afford to lose her."

"Should I send men after you?" she asked, but Lyse shook his head. He could hardly hear himself over his heartbeat, but he had the mind to make decisions.

"Perhaps an hour or two after, but I don't want anymore in the danger than necessary, captain," he told her, to her chagrin. Though, there was a bit more to the reason he demanded such. He suspected that Talin was dwelling down there. These regular men were one thing, but he knows to be wary of those who wait upon him. He'd have to catch up with Ryan not to leave him stranded and surrounded by actual Talin soldiers. He was a skilled fighter, ofcourse, but he doubts even himself now could fight this kind of enemy. He took off his shield, knowing that it would not fare well in the cramped spaces below. One of the police officers took it, and he set off into the uninviting darkness, where he knows the rest of this raid will take a turn. Men with simple guns with one thing. He knew what lurked in the dark would be far more terrifying. As he dropped in, his boot met shallow water. The damp choking air was immediately suffocating with fumes, no doubt, from the sewage that was swept this way. It appeared that Antalya still used this ancient drainage system for its waste, dumping it into the sea. Now he had to make a choice, right or left. By now, they had left the range of his vision, and no signs were apparent where this Veronica would go. So, he chose to go further towards the city, where no doubt an entrance to the sewage system will lead to the ruins, and hopefully to Ryan. He ran off, fully acknowledging the knowing eyes that watched him from the shadows.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 9.4K 38
Growing up on the streets of Zianna made Finn very good at a lot of things - pick pocketing, gambling, and generally sneaking around. He didn't mean...
494 179 21
A team of enforcers. A gang of criminals. One common enemy. Against all expectations, a young woman enlisted as an enforcer, following in the footste...
2K 280 23
Who knew that each side had a secret? Secrets that could change the tides of war in an instant. They played against the balance--the push and pull of...
13.1K 934 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...