Stumbling Through

By LikkleBagel

"Being a teenager sucks, all you can really do is stumble through the years." School. Grades. Judgements. Bul... More

Day to Day
The Moment of Change
Nosy Friends
Challenge Accepted
Annoying Texts
The Reed Family
Scary Films
Meet The Mum
Strange Moods
Invites
Party (Like It's 2012)
Being Juvenile
Just A Few Minutes
When I Wake Up
Dancing Heart
Family Dinner
'I Like You'
Horrible Food
Things in Common
The Mother
Intimidating Moments
The Worst Day (Part One)
The Worst Day (Part Two)
A Shared Warmth
Once Gone
Fixing Bridges
The Best of Friends
Tongue Tied
Epilogue

Mission Derek

12.9K 567 58
By LikkleBagel

Okay so I've officially updated everything BUT Let the Games Begin *face palm* I'm really sorry guys, I swear I really am working on that next chapter

Also I'm sorry this chapter has taken so long to get posted <3 I'm really struggling to write this one because I honestly have no idea how much more there is left to it or anything! It's throwing me off! :)

Anyway if you could highlight the mistakes you find that would helpful! I swear you guys are the best editors! xxx

Comments and Votes are always apriciated, but more importantly: PLEASE ENJOY:

Chapter Sixteen

Willow:

“Willow, are you even listening?” Jenny asked me, clicking her fingers in front of my face, trying to get a reaction. I snapped out of my daydreams. We were all sat together on one of the benches outside, filling up on as much time in the sun as we could whilst the weather was still good and before we had to go back to lessons in twenty minutes at the end of break.

“Nope.” I answered with one hundred per cent honesty.

Christina let out a laugh whilst Jenny gave me a short glare. “What is with you today?” She asked. “You’re acting really strange.”

I didn’t deny her accusation. I had been acting really strange. I couldn’t quite explain it myself either.

Jenny lowered her voice. “Is this about…you know?” She asked in a hushed tone. “Because by now you’re usually okay…I mean-” Jenny struggled to formulate a full sentence, so I cut her off putting her out of her misery.

“It’s got nothing to do with that.” I promised her.

“Oh.” She said, looking a lot more relaxed now. “Then what is wrong with you?” She demanded to know.

I looked over at Chrissie who looked just as interested in hearing my answer – enough so even that she put down the magazine she was flipping through.

“It’s nothing.” I denied, and they both gave me identical flat looks that let me know that they didn’t believe me even slightly. “I hung out with Derek yesterday.” I said slowly, not meeting their eyes properly.

“You did?” Jenny asked.

Chrissie rolled her eyes. “That’s not really ground breaking news Willow.” She said exasperatedly. “You’ve been hanging around with the nerd a lot.” I pinched my lips together giving her a look of disapproval for the ‘nerd’ comment.

“I know.” I said shrugging my shoulders. “It’s just this time was different…” I said distantly.

“Different? Different how?” Jenny probed.

I shrugged my shoulders blushing, before mumbling my answer under my breath. Jenny raised an eyebrow at me.

“Can you repeat that?” She asked, both her and Chrissie leaning in closer to hear me better.

I bit my lip, feeling my blush grow deeper – and I was pretty sure they figured out basically what I was trying to tell them. “I-I almost kissed him.” I admitted in a rush.

Jenny’s jaw dropped open, and Chrissie’s eyes widened slightly.

Okay so maybe they hadn’t worked out what I had been going to tell them.

I buried my face into my hands to try and hide my embarrassment. It was useless around my friends. Jenny gripped onto my wrists, pulling my hands away to reveal my beetroot face.

“You almost kissed him!” Jenny squawked.

I shushed her. “Keep your voice down!” I hissed, my eyes checking to see if anyone had overheard. They were far too busy in their own lives to care.

“Holy shit. This is a first.” Jenny said in a much quieter voice.

I shook my head. “I’ve kissed people before.” I denied. Hell I had even kissed Derek before.

“Not what I was talking about.” Jenny dismissed. “You seriously like him don’t you?” She questioned, not helping the blushing situation. I’d never been more red in my life. I wasn’t even used to blushing.

I chewed on my bottom lip. Did I?

“I-I think so.” I muttered, almost silently. It didn’t matter, they were both leant in close enough to hear my every word.

“You think so?” Chrissie contributed, sounding incredulous. “It’s a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question, Willow.”

“I don’t know.” I confessed. How was I meant to know? I’d never really felt like this around anyone else before! Not really.

Jenny elbowed Chrissie in her side, to shush her. “Well I’ll help you work it out.” Jenny said reassuringly.

Chrissie snorted. “Like you’re such an expert.” She goaded.

Jenny glared at her. “I know more than you.” She pointed out.

Chrissie raised an eyebrow. “Is Damien your frame of reference? Because if he is you should seriously reconsider handing out advice on love.”

Jenny’s face tightened slightly, but Chrissie gave her usual teasing grin and Jenny let it go. “Shut up.” She told her, turning back to face me. “We’ll both help you work it out.” She corrected her previous statement to include Chrissie now. “Just tell us what happened.”

I slowly nodded my head. “Well we were at the dance studio.” I started settling in to tell them about what happened. I only gave them vague details, for some reason – even though I shared practically everything with them in the past, including stuff about my family that I didn’t tell anyone else - whatever happened between me and Derek felt private.

“And when we were just about to leave and then, I don’t know I almost kissed him.” I shrugged.

Chrissie sighed. “That wasn’t very helpful.”

“Try recreating the scene.” Jenny said.

I shrugged my shoulders. “We were standing face to face, talking. And then I reached up to check to see if his forehead was okay.” My hand twitched recalling it, and the want I had felt to brush my fingers through his hair. “So I was sort of leaning closer, and then…I don’t know. I almost kissed him…but he stepped back.” I admitted.

I felt embarrassed remembering. I’d felt kind of like an idiot, clearly whatever it was I was feeling wasn’t mutual.

“So I told him I needed to go, and left. The end.” I said shrugging my shoulders.

Jenny let out a long breath, as if she had been holding on to it, and Chrissie’s shoulders slumped forwards. She had an almost exasperated look on her face.

I felt the same disappointment, but what I didn’t know was why. Derek and I were friends. I shouldn’t want to kiss him like I did. My disappointment must have been written on my face because Jenny and Chrissie spoke together.

“You like him.” Chrissie and Jenny answered in a chorus.

“Really?” I asked.

Chrissie smiled and nodded. “It was kind of obvious if you think about it.” She said in reflection. I raised an eyebrow.

“Meaning?” I asked her to elaborate.

“Meaning, when was the last time that you ever spent this much time around a guy?” She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know. He’s a lot of fun to be around…” I explained.

“Plus, you did make out with him at that party.” Jenny contributed helpfully.

“Th-that was a dare.” I stuttered.

Chrissie snorted. “Not your dare.” I was about to argue with her but she carried on before I got the chance. “And anyway, dare or not, you were really into it.” She said grinning knowingly.

My eyes widened.

“I was drunk.” I excused.

Jenny grinned. “Ohh, you’re in loovveee.” She teased in a sing song tone.

“Okay, rewind.” I said putting my both hands up. “I’m not even sure I like him, let alone love.”

Chrissie rolled her eyes at the first half of my sentence. “Just trust us on this one. You definitely like him.”

“How do you know?” How could they know my feelings better than myself?

“Because on the one day where you were at your worst, he managed to make you smile.”

I didn’t have an argument for that one.

“Holy crap.” I said in a stunned voice. “I like him.”

Jenny let out a loud whoop. “She admits it!” She cheered victoriously. “This. This is good. This is progress.”

“Why don’t I like the way you said that?” I asked warily. She was way too chipper, and most definitely up to something.

She gave me a wide grin. “Today goes down in history my friend.” She leant in, draping her arm across my shoulder. “Today is the day we begin on: Mission Derek.”

I buried my face in my hands. “Please don’t.”

“Fret not my dear.” Jenny brushed my pleas aside. “I’ll be very discreet.”

Chrissie snorted. “I’m surprised the word is even in your vocabulary.”

Jenny ignored her, too psyched about ‘Mission Derek’ to care about her friend’s taunts.

“I really don’t think this is a good idea, Jen.” I groaned, even though I knew I wouldn’t be able to dissuade her.

“Don’t worry-”

 “Please stop saying that.” It never meant anything good when coming from Jenna.

“I have a perfect plan on how to kick start Mission Derek.” She continued as if I hadn’t said anything.

Chrissie wrinkled her nose. “If we’re actually going through with this thing-”

“We’re not!” I interrupted, but I might as well be a ‘no mobiles in class’ sign for as much attention as they paid to me.

“We should come up with a better name. ‘Mission Derek’ is just stupid.”

Jenna nodded her head. “I’ll put a pin in it.” She assured. “But right now I have to go.” She said glancing down at her watch. “We haven’t the time to waste!”

I groaned. “Where have you got to go?” I asked, unsure if I really wanted the answer.

The only response she gave was to cry the words ‘MISSION DEREK’ over her shoulder in her loudest voice as she rushed away.

I felt my face heat, as I buried my face in my hands once more.

So much for ‘discreet’.

*

The school was practically a dead zone as I exited it. I had ended up staying late that day because of some misunderstanding with cheerleading practice times. I had to stay behind to negotiate with the coach about using the gym on Friday lunch breaks.

Which is about as much fun as it sounds: not at all.

“Willow!” At the sound of my name being called loudly I turned my head. I was surprised when I saw it was Derek calling out for me. Usually he waited for me to be the one to start a conversation.

He was stood with Noah and Liam at the edge of the school car park. My eyes automatically did a scan trying to find Makayla, because usually the four were inseparable.

When I didn’t see her, for a brief moment I felt something akin to relief. I inwardly kicked myself for feeling it straight away.

I didn’t want to be one of those kinds of girls, who got unnecessarily jealous over their crush’s girl friends.

Crush.

I had to fight back a blush just thinking about the word.

It felt weird to be freely admitting the fact I had a crush on Derek. On anyone.

I saw Derek say something to his two friends, before he turned his attention back to me, yelling out for me to wait up for him.

My eyebrows rose a little higher, but I wasn’t about to argue. As he grew closer I was able to notice that he was grinning from ear to ear obviously happy about something.

He stopped next to me. A smile still spread widely across his face, which had my heart beating funnily in my chest. “What’s got you in such a good mood?” I asked him, shifting my position to face him fully.

His eyes lit up. “Check this out.” He told me, pulling his backpack off of his shoulder. He drew out a sheet of paper holding it up proudly for me to see. “I’m top of the year.” He boasted proudly.

I took the paper from his head to see a copy of the list Mr Mills had posted on the wall today, that I hadn’t had the chance to see because of everyone crowding around it.

“Congratulations.” I said, beaming up at him. “Though I can’t honestly say I’m all that surprised.” I told him handing the sheet of paper back to him.

His lips tilted into a softer grin as he took it back. “Thanks.” He said, the faintest shade of pink, tinting his cheeks, as he scratched the back of his neck.

Suddenly an idea came to mind. “You know what?” I asked straightening my posture in excitement as the great idea struck me. “We should do something to celebrate.” I suggested to him enthusiastically.

Derek watched me slightly dubiously, like he was unsure of something. “We should?” He asked, tilting his head, looking cutely confused.

I nodded eagerly. “Definitely.” I persisted, leaning in closer. “Come on, it’ll be fun!” I promised, grabbing on to him and gently tugging on his arm when he continued to hesitate.

He didn’t put up a fight, but he didn’t look entirely convinced as he glanced down to his arm where I had hold of him with his eyebrows huddled together. “Right now?” He asked, still sounding surprised.

That was the moment that embarrassment hit me.

I probably sounded way too eager. And forceful.

I inwardly cringed.

“Uh, yeah…” I shrugged, dialling my enthusiasm back several notches. “Unless you’re busy, or just don’t want to hang out or whatever.” I lied wincingly.

This was not going smoothly. Mission Derek was in serious jeopardy if I kept making myself look like an idiot like this.

“I’m fine with that.” I continued awkwardly. Or at least I should be fine with it. It wasn’t like we had been friends very long, and we had already spent a lot of time together.

This was just my crush on him making me greedy for his attention.

Derek shook his head, and I felt myself deflate a little. “You’re really silly sometimes. You know that, right Willow?” He told me offering out his arm that I had dropped before. “Let’s go.” He said with a grin.

I perked up considerably, my wide smile returning, as I took back his arm, leading him towards my car.

“Great!” I chirped, as he let out a light laugh. “I know the perfect place to go to celebrate!” I assured him, gesturing him to let himself in as I practically skipped to my side of the car, a broad smile stuck to my face.

Derek’s POV:

Willow was humming gently along to the radio as she drove. “So where are we going?” I asked her, interrupting her professional drum out session on the steering wheel along to  ‘Are you gonna be my girl’ by the Jets

She grinned at me, reaching for the volume knob on the radio so I could hear her better when she answered.

“We’re going to the second one of the places I wanted to show you.” She said with a wide grin.

I raised an eyebrow. “How many favourite places do you have exactly?”

“Three in total, but only two that I’m going to show you.” She answered secretively.

I didn’t argue.

She took a turn left before parking the car. “We’re here.” She told me, unbuckling her seat belt.

I followed suit, taking a glance out of the window to see exactly where ‘here’ was.

We were parked outside an ice-cream parlour. The words ‘Shake Em’ were displayed in vibrant colours.

“Shake Em?” I asked Willow as we both climbed out of the car. “This is one of your favourite places on earth?”

She nodded her head. “Yup. When I was younger my Uncle used to take me here all the time whenever we had something to celebrate. They do the absolute best Vanilla shakes here.”

It was easy to hear her love for the place in her voice.

“Come on.” She said eagerly, nodding her head to the entrance. She had an excited skip to her step as she led us both inside.

It was fair to say she didn’t lie about the Vanilla shakes.

They were utter brilliance. It must have been written on my face how much I enjoyed it too because Willow had a smug grin on her face.

We were both sat in one of the side booths of ‘Shake Em’ with one tall Vanilla shake each.

“I told you they were good.” She boasted proudly, as if she was the inventor, using her straw to stir her drink, before taking a sip.

I wasn’t able to disagree as I took another mouthful, wincing at the slight sting of warning my brain gave letting me know I needed to slow down before I got a full brain freeze.

Willow chuckled, her whole face lit up with just enough happiness that it twisted at something in my gut. I liked that smile a little too much, for the fact we were just friends.

And if I had learnt anything at school today it was that people at school definitely didn’t think we belonged together. That was if the pictures going around of Willow and I at the party captioned ‘beauty and the freak’ were anything to go by.

And of course the unsubtle rude comments people had been making all day were a bit of a clue in.

I was still surprised that Willow had even suggested we do anything like this together.

Maybe she hadn’t seen the pictures?

I kind of hoped not.

“Is something wrong?” Willow asked me, breaking me from my thoughts.

I winced a little. “Nothing.” I lied, giving her what was apparently a very unconvincing smile.

Willow had a small frown in her brow as she tilted her head to the side.

“Is this about Makayla?” She asked.

I blinked in surprised. “Makayla?” I repeated.

“I noticed she wasn’t with you and the guys earlier. Are you still fighting?”

I flinched a little at her question. The truth was Makayla was most definitely still pissed at me since the party. “Maybe a little.” I confessed.

Willow’s shoulders dropped a little. “I’m sorry.” She said quietly.

My brow creased slightly at her apology. “What have you got to be sorry for?” I asked her.

She gave me a dry laugh. “It’s pretty obvious she doesn’t like me, and she really doesn’t like us hanging out with each other.” She said with a hint of bitterness, as she stared intently at her drink, rather than looking at me.

“Yeah,” I agreed not going to insult her by trying to lie. “But that’s her problem, not yours.” I said honestly, making a tiny smile appear on Willow’s lips. “Anyway if she actually knew you I’m pretty sure she would even like you.”

I told her confidently.

“Really?” She said in surprise.

“Well yeah.” I nodded. “She’s stubborn headed, but not an idiot.” I said with a small grin.

Willow bent her head down, smiling into her drink. And I felt like a million pounds for being able to put that smile on her face.

***

That's it for now guys! You're all amazingly beautiful! <3<3<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9M 72.9K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...
822K 26.8K 70
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her entire life. Only a shel...
38.4K 1.8K 25
Abisinden şiddet gören bi kızın kurtulmak için bulduğu çözümle kendini çekişmeli bi aşkın içinde bulur...
287K 8.6K 30
She was just the nobody that blended into the wall. A small group of friends was just how she liked it. Her life was about to change though. When Mr...