The Coming of Nico di Angelo

By ninjagirlmai

Three demigods shall travel to the followers of Hecate, The monster inside lets the dark one blood see, On th... More

Nico Gets a Family Visit
Percy Carries Nico Bridal Style into King's Cross
It Turns Out Magical Talking Hats Are a Thing
You'd Think A Sword To the Chest Would Shut a Person Up
Nico Finds Friends His Age
After Nico Goes Crazy-Psycho
Nico Flies Like Superman
This Is Why Teaming Up with Malfoy Is a TERRIBLE IDEA
Nico Gets Annoyed at All His Nicknames
Will Becomes Obsessed with Angry Men
Cho Chang Isn't a Morning Person
Percy Goes All Big-Brother on Malfoy's Ass
The Old Lady with the Schoolgirl Crush
Tonks Teaches Harry American Politics
The Scavenger Hunt of Death
How to Break into a Graveyard
Raiders of the Lost Cup
The Return of Will's Singing Voice
Edreubmodl's Yrma
Where Girly Girls Go to Die
In Which Kissing Happens
DAMMIT HARRY...
Everybody Loves Percy
Hazel's Boss at Naming Things
Percy Discovers a New OTP
In Which Persephone's a Badass Queen
All the Bombs Drop (and not just the literary ones!)
We're Doomed...
Some Charismatic Mortal with an Arrogance Complex
That One Time Someone Talks to Harry Like a Person
Do the Stabby-Stabby and the Burny-Burny
The Badass di Angelo
Irony, Thy Name is Jesus
The Letter of Snide Self-Commentary
Stone Slides... Not Fun
Tables...
In a Girl's Bathroom
A Fucked Up Game of Dayenu
Blaise And Hestia Hook Up
Fade to Black
Sitting in a Room, Without Talking... for 15+ Hours
The Artifacts of Thanatos Kick Ass
Letters

Law and Order: Nico di Angelo

4K 145 122
By ninjagirlmai

CHAPTER SUMMARY

Nico does his best to put a stop to Hades' and Hecate's coming war.

BEGINNING NOTES

Chapter Rating: General Audiences
Content Warning: None
Word Count: 2208

SURPRISE EXTRA CHAPTER THIS WEEK I HOPE IT MAKES YOU HAPPY!

The final chapter! Well... I'm releasing one last chapter, Chapter 44, tomorrow, with letters from the betas. And obviously there's the sequel... but it's the last chapter in this story, and that makes me a little sentimental.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/180400400-the-ghosts-of-millennia

Make sure you click this link to subscribe to the new story page, or you won't know what happens! Right now it just says "coming soon" but I'll start posting a week from tomorrow (you'll want to let this chapter sit for a little bit trust me). Then, we're back to our twice a week schedule.

I also have a tumblr now. My theme isn't done yet, but when it is you'll have a hub of everything I've written across all the different platforms. And, of course, prime PJO/HOO/TOA content that has nothing to do with my writings.  Link is below.

melody0rose.tumblr.com

And all the characters are owned by JK Rowling, or Rick Riordan.

Credits at the end.

____________________NICO____________________

Nico didn't expect to board Charon's ferry. He knew Hades would grab his soul and pull it to the palace as soon as possible. There were too many ungodly souls on the wrong side of the Underworld, too many to recognize the Artifacts of Thanatos for what they were and attempt to buy or steal them from Nico. It was too risky for Hades to chance.

So, it was no surprise to wake up on the floor of Hades' palace, feeling the glare of his ex-father, cold and malicious, on his tingling spine. It wasn't a surprise that when he stood, he saw Queen Persephone in a golden case-like coffin, with a glass covering encrusted with the bouquets of jewels Hades so famously adorned his wife with. It wasn't even a surprise that, when he stood, he felt the billowing Robes graze his feet and Staff in his hand and Orb animate again.

It was a surprise, however, that Lady Hecate was standing beside him.

"If I could murder the two of you without also hurting my wife, you both would be nothing more than a smoking grease spot in my throne room," Hades snarled. "And I wouldn't clean the spot--I would mark it with a sign and gate and charge the dead to look at it like the Parthenon."

"Nico di Angelo is still under my protection," Hecate countered with as much hatred in her voice, "Or did you forget that among your thousands of curses upon the innocent?"

"You come into my home, you insult my realm--"

"Only because I do not trust your word to leave my general unharmed."

"I see no warrior, only a half-baked Titan and her slithering scorpion."

"Thanks, Papà," Nico muttered, sarcasm palpable.

Hades whipped his head to Nico; the green fire in his eyes burned hotter than he'd ever seen. "You are no son of mine."

"Biologically speaking, I am," Nico continued, knowing he shouldn't push his luck... but it was too tempting, "But I do agree we never did the whole father-son thing all that well."

Nico took minuscule steps towards Hades. The sound of each foot hitting the ground echoed off the walls more than Nico remembered it had before. Maybe it was his nerves, maybe it was Hades trying to make the place seem more intimidating.

Soon, he was at the foot of Hades' throne. He threw a glance back at Hecate; she was fuming that her general would give even this small packet of power to an enemy. But Nico didn't care what she thought anymore.

He knelt at Hades' throne.

"Lord Hades, I have done what you asked. Lord Voldemort--Tom Marvolo Riddle--is dead. As my allies at Hogwarts round up the last of his followers, they will be sent either to Punishment or Azkaban at your discretion."

Nico had always been a warrior, not a speaker, but he knew every word he chose could determine whether the world as he knew it survived. He'd battled enough along the quest--now he had to take a leaflet out of Percy's guide and try diplomacy. He didn't have a chance at battling either god and getting away with less that pure obliteration.

"My quest mate Annabeth mentioned something to me, when I was planning the battle that gave you Riddle's soul; I think you should know what she said. She said, and I'm paraphrasing, that the quest was never about Riddle. And I think I agree with her--here, now, is where most of my prophecy comes true. I'm begging you, Lord Hades, let me speak to you without worrying about becoming a grease spot. And," he turned to Hecate, "If Lady Hecate could give me the same?"

The longest of minutes passed before Hecate nodded.

"Lord Hades?" Nico asked, turning back to him.

"Fine," Hades spat. "You have thirty minutes before January first, at which time I declare war. Convince me otherwise before then."

"The prophecy:

'Three demigods shall travel to the followers of Hecate,

The monster inside lets the dark one blood see,

On the brink of destruction, Poseidon and Athena unite,

The father of blackness has a great insight,

The friend is an enemy,

The enemy a friend...

Against a weak but powerful army,

The child must reveal his true self in the end,'

"Some of the lines are irrelevant now, but most apply here. Lord Hades, you are the dark one, and the prophecy says a monster inside you will shed blood. The monster is your fury, which motivates you into action that will avenge Persephone, sure, but won't heal her. And, more to the point of the prophecy, your fury at me will lead you to see blood.

"The father of blackness is also you. Just like the line above, our forgiveness of the wizards in England and a united front succeeded to kill Riddle. Your insight is that your pride is the source of your anger, because you know why I renounced you. You need to see , Lord Hades, like Queen Persephone hoped you would the minutes before she died.

"You are the friend who is an enemy, because your anger is causing the end of the mortal world. Hecate, once your enemy, is now a friend, because she's given me the tools to stop such an end.

"As for the army, this is it. Right here, right now, I'm speaking to both of you--Hades and Hecate. Powerful because of your godly abilities, but weak because you're controlled by anger and spite. I revealed part of my true self to you yesterday, to Riddle, but only the last bit of it will be enough to convince you two to stop."

Nico stood in silence, waiting for Hades to scream at him or blast him, or for Hecate to shout an incantation and burn him alive. He'd called Hades out on his pride, the one thing sure to push his buttons, and told Hecate point-blank that she'd unknowingly helped the enemy who'd killed her children.

He knew Hecate's plan--she wanted Persephone alive so she could steal her away and force her to lift the curse. Hades would burst again, and send out the troops without a ten-day warning. He'd lose his credibility and she'd gain the spot on Olympus she'd always wanted.

Justified? Yes. Moral? No. Brilliant? Of course.

But if the quest had taught him one thing, it was that he had to create his own destiny. No more clinging to the past or acting as a pawn for any god or goddess. He wouldn't wait for some Great Prophecy to forge a change, he'd do it every day, every time he got the chance.

He wouldn't choose between Hades and Hecate anymore. He was the Ghost King. He chose himself.

"I will heal Queen Persephone with the Artifacts," Nico declared, "Then give them back to you to dispose of. I gave you Voldemort's soul, which, combined with my own, will be enough to bring her back."

"But you're not dead," Hecate snarled. "I made you immortal, remember? You're only done with my bidding when you heal Persephone, not before. I dragged you to the Underworld to fulfill your promise."

"I am," Nico replied with false cheer. "And thank you for the reminder, because I was just getting to that, Lady Hecate! Lord Hades, I want my mortal soul--but I mean mortal. I meant what I said--I'm not a hero. I've always served myself... and that's the way I'll always be.

"You told me to be happy during Gaea's Awakening--Lord Hades, this is how I'll be the exception. I was happiest with the Jacksons this past school year--a normal kid, with a normal life. It's what I've always wanted. And I can't have that if I'm always a pawn of the gods. And I will always be a pawn of the gods if I'm a demigod."

"What are you asking?" Hades asked, though, by his face, he already knew.

"I don't want to be a demigod anymore. That part of my DNA, that bit of Ichor in my blood, it's enough--combined with Riddle's soul--to revive Queen Persephone. But you're my biological father... I need your blessing."

"Have I been so terrible a father to you, Nico?"

Nico swallowed hard. "I loved you, Father. But you told me I was a disappointment far more than showing me any kind of affection. Nonno , Mamma, Bianca--it's called unconditional love. I just chose not to fight for yours anymore... but that doesn't mean you can't give it to Hazel, or any other child you may sire in the future."

Hades stared at Nico for a moment, in his gaze all the things he never said. He descended the steps down from his throne slower than usual, burdened by the insight the Fates bestowed upon him. By the time he'd reached Nico, he stood the size of a normal, human adult, maybe a head taller than his son. He put a hand on Nico's shoulder and closed his eyes; the Orb began to change color from black to gold as Nico felt all the layers of Hecate's blessing pour out of him.

When he blacked out, he remembered only three things:

The clock on the wall striking midnight.Queen Persephone taking a gasping breath.A single tear falling down Hades' face.

When Nico woke up, he felt odd. It took him a few groggy moments to place it, then he realized--he wasn't sore. He'd woken up in an actual bed for the first time since he'd fled Camp Half-Blood. He wasn't sure which bed, but that was answered for him almost the second he wondered it.

"Percy! Sweetheart! It looks like Nico's waking up!"

"Sally?" Nico asked, his voice cracked and husky.

"Shhh, Nico, dear, you've been comatose for almost a week now. Wake up nice and slow, don't overdo it."

"Sally?" That was a man's voice--Paul's--coming from behind him. "Should I call Will?"

"Yes, Paul, that would be smart. Have Lou teleport him--what did she call it?"

"Apparate?"

"That's right. Apparate."

That was how, after a medium-length bath in which Sally Jackson did not see him naked (or, at least, that's what he'd tell anyone who asked) Nico sat on the Jackson living room couch, all his friends from both camps around him, watching as William A. Solace took his pulse.

"This is so embarrassing."

"Shhh, Neeks, I'm working."

"And I'm your sculpture."

"Yes, now shut up."

"That wasn't a question, William!"

"You're done." Will took the stethoscope off Nico's neck, and put his lips where it used to be. "To warm you up," he smirked as he withdrew. "Just drink a little nectar the next few mornings and you'll be fine."

"I can't."

"Doctor's orders, Neeks."

"No Will--I can't. I..." Nico stared at his lap; he felt the eyes of the Jacksons, Annabeth, Jason, Leo, Piper, Frank, Hazel, Reyna, Blaise, and Hestia all on his neck. It was overwhelming, to say the least. "I... kind of... gave up my half-blood status?"

"Um... what?" Jason asked after a long, stunned silence.

"Does this mean you're, like, mortal now?" Leo asked.

"Yeah," Nico said. "I never liked the life anyway - and it brought Persephone back, and kept Hecate from taking advantage again."

"She lifted the curse," Lou informed him. "When she realized all the trouble it caused, she didn't think it was worth it anymore."

"And Alabaster?" Nico asked.

A silhouette emerged from an alcove to Lou's left. Al. "At Camp Jupiter, where they don't know about my past, and don't care, since I'm a good fighter. Mom still checks in sometimes, but it's... going to take some getting used to, but it's fine."

"What about you?" Hestia asked. "You saved the world; you deserve some happiness."

"I've got Will," Nico said, smiling and grabbing his boyfriend's hand. "And Hazel. And the Jackson's. I think I'm all good."

"About that..."

Paul, who'd been standing at the kitchen counter, came around to the couch. He sat beside Nico, so the new mortal was squished between his surrogate father and mother. He produced a folder from his bag, leaning against the foot of the couch.

"We wanted to give you a bit of a present," Sally said, referencing the folder, "Since we never got around to sending you your sixteenth birthday gift before you left on the quest."

"Thanks," Nico said with his usual snark, after he opened it. "Words. To read."

Everyone laughed... except the three who knew what those words said.

"No rush," Percy told him, as he read the first line over and over again. "And if you don't want to..."

Nico stared up at them. He didn't realize tears were falling until Sally started wiping them away, nor that he'd nodded his head 'yes' until Percy had to cover his laugh of delight because so many others had no idea what was going on. He heard questions and squeals and his own name being said by half a dozen different people, but they didn't matter much. He only read that first line. Seven words. Seven beautiful, perfect, miraculous words.

For the adoption of Nico di Angelo. 

END NOTES

And so it must be, for so it is written
On the doorway to paradise
That those who falter and those who fall [to my writing]
Must pay the price!

This week's beta commentary:
STORY: Part of my DNA
GIULIA: Idea: Rick Riordan teams up with a bunch of geneticists and biologists to release a book detailing the genetic makeup and biological structure of gods and demigods compared to mortals
SARA: YES
LISSY: PLEASE DO THIS RICKY

Credits:
Melody Rose - Author (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)
Sara - Beta Reader (http://icomparemyselftoyou.tumblr.com)
Giulia - Beta Reader (https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6748882/)

Please comment so I know what you think! See you... in the sequel!

https://www.wattpad.com/story/180400400-the-ghosts-of-millennia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 221 41
I said I wouldn't post this, but here we are. (Updated summary) Percy Jackson has gone missing. Olympus has closed. Great, time for a new quest. Rach...
51.3K 1.4K 50
Kidnapped, separated, forced to save the world by condescending gods-Annabeth Chase and Percy Jackson don't need any more immortals on their doorstep...
142K 3K 24
It was a month after the Second Titan War, and Percy, Nico, and Thalia are reluctantly being sent to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry on a...
1.6M 43.7K 37
"You can't seriously expect us to go to a school for magic!" "You want us to what?" ~~~~~ Dumbledore sends out a distress call to the demigods. Volde...