Bet On It | H. Styles

By hunflowers

All they want is to see their best friends -- who hate each other beyond belief -- fall in love. So they put... More

i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxvix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
final note
new story! (...again)

xix

8.7K 224 134
By hunflowers

Present Day

Why is it that whenever I seek out to plan something, it never goes the way I intend? It doesn't matter the situation, but whenever I make a plan, it tends to backfire in my face.

For instance, I have my big meeting that determines my future in just a few minutes, but here I am, running around my office like a madwoman screaming most specifically at Sarah, my assistant, to get my things in order before I lose my mind permanently.

"Sarah! Where are my sketches?"

"On your desk, Wendy. I think you need to take a breather."

"There is no time for breathing right now, Sarah. If they like my ideas, I'll be put into fashion week, and I need to have my designs showcased this year. If not, I might as well drop everything and find a cardboard box to live out of," I seethed, putting my hands on my hips, giving Sarah my nastiest look.

To the average person, it would seem as if I dislike Sarah a great deal, which in hindsight she isn't my most favorite person, but really I'm just looking nasty to get my point across that this meeting makes or breaks my fate and I didn't need her calm aura to try and calm myself down. I scurried over to my desk, rummaging through the endless supply of papers to find my sketches at the bottom of the pile. Through the glass of my office I saw Sarah hurry over to the elevators signaling someone was coming up. I began panting even more as time ticked down to the moment I've been anticipating for the past couple of months.

Sarah led the man and woman to the conference room down the hall, immediately making her way over to me to inform me of their arrival.

"Wendy," she hissed pushing open the glass door, "They're here."

"Do they look happy?" I questioned having a mini panic attack.

"Honestly, they seem like they've had better days," Sarah spoke sheepishly, sending me her best apologetic look

I stood up straight, hiking my blue pantsuit pants up a bit on my body. This morning I woke up later than I wanted so I had no time to fix my unruly hair. I tried taming them as best as I could but my curls were just as stubborn today, if not even more so, compared to any other day.

"Let's do this," I stated, tilting my chin up, ready to dominate this meeting.

"You'll do great! Knock 'em dead," Sarah called after me as I made my way to the infamous conference room.

I sauntered into the conference room, noticing the pair studying the material on the mannequins that I had set up in there last night.

"Good afternoon," I smiled, placing my sketches and other papers onto the table.

"Miss. Kane," they both said curtly, sitting down at the table across from me.

---

"Thank you, again, for everything," I say, leading the two back to the elevators.

"Please, have a wonderful evening, Wendy," the woman genuinely smiled, giving a slight squeeze to my shoulder before joining her companion on the elevator.

As soon as the metal doors shut, I let out a deep breath I've been holding in for the past half hour. I had sent everyone else in the office home early as I couldn't deal with any distractions. But right now I was really grateful I did that because I just started shedding tears. Tears of joy or sadness I really couldn't determine, but I just needed to get this out.

"How'd it go?" Sarah came rushing over, handing me a tissue.

"I don't know. They said everything was 'truly exceptional' but they could've just been saying that to spare my feelings," I shrugged, making my way over to my office to collect my things to go home. Maybe I would run myself a nice hot bath and just down a bottle of wine. Sounds like the perfect evening.

"But. . . are you in fashion week?" Sarah quizzed following hot on my trail.

"They said they needed to talk about it with Noémie first and then they would get back to me. Within the week," I huffed.

"You're going to Malibu on Friday though."

"Right, so that's why I need you here everyday manning my phone in case they call me here and not on my cell. I'm telling you now- and you know how important this is to me- that if you screw this up, expect yourself out of a job," I asserted, seeing her face pale almost immediately.

"I- I won't. I promise!"

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Sweets."

I know I was being hard, but something like this wouldn't be the first time Sarah would screw things over. She was only nineteen, still learning the ways of the world, but that doesn't justify her not being responsible. I'm surprised she hasn't quit on me yet, but she claims that I inspire her for her future in fashion. But I think it's because I pay her well.

"I'll be here from dusk till dawn if I have to! I won't let you down, Wendy," Sarah continued to speak on the elevator ride down to the lobby. I just simply nodded my head in agreement, not really caring for her unending promises anymore. I just wanted to get into my bath already.

"Have a good evening, Sarah," I bid my goodbye, opening my umbrella as soon as I step outside into the gloomy New York weather.

I waved down a taxi, telling the driver where my apartment was. I was salivating at just the idea of drinking my wine while relaxing in a hot bubble bath. I felt like an older woman in the body of a twenty-four year old.

Paying the driver, I hurried into the lobby of my building, my hair just the slightest damp from the downpour outside.

"Miss. Kane," Bill, the doorman greeted.

"Bill, you know you can call me, Wendy."

"Whatever you say, Miss. Kane," Bill winked, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Miss. Kane," now the security guards, Dave and Janet, greeted.

"Guys," I groaned, knowing they were just doing this on purpose to get a rile out of me. For the six years I've lived in this building I'd expect the formalities to be long gone.

The journey to the fourth floor seemed to take an eternity with all of the people hopping in and out of the elevator. Would've been quicker to take the stairs probably, but my knee would not have at all allowed me to walk four flights of stairs especially in heels. Finally approaching my floor, I inserted my key to my apartment, basking in the faint smell of vanilla from the candle I light every day when I get home from work. Speaking of, I grab my matchbook in the draw of the table by the door and immediately light my favorite candle from Bath & Body Works.

I drop my purse on the coffee table in my living room, making my way to the bathroom to get my bath started. Letting the water run, I walk over to my kitchen and unscrew the cork to one of my unopened bottles of wine. I bring the bottle and a glass to the bathroom setting it down besides the tub. Mixing the bubble bath with the water, I begin to strip of my clothes when I hear the shrill of my phone in the room over. Letting out a whine, I hurry over to my phone, seeing Patty's name light up the screen.

"Hello, hello," I say, stepping out of my underwear and finally sitting in my warm bath.

"Wendy! Love of my life! How'd your big meeting go?" Patty questioned on the other side of the line, sounding a little tipsy.

"It went alright. I get the news if I made it sometime within the week. Are you drunk?"

"But, we'll be in Malibu! What're you going to do? And no, in fact, I'm not."

"I have it under control no need to worry about me, Patty. And yes, you are."

"I'll always worry about you. And no, I'm not. Yes, I've might've had a few drinks, but I'm most certainly not drunk."

"Jeez, Patty. It's just past six on a Wednesday, what's the occasion?"

"A few college friends are in town so we went out for some dinner and a few drinks. This is why I called, actually. Well, besides to ask about your meeting. Why don't you come meet us? It's just downtown and you only have to stay for a little while." I could tell Patty was pouting her lips and giving her best puppy eyes even through the phone to try and convince me to go out.

"Thanks, for the offer, but I just got in a nice bath, and I have a whole bottle of wine right beside me all to myself. Plus, I have work in the morning, I can't really go out," I responded, putting Patty on speaker as I poured my first glass.

"Wendy, you do realize you're your own boss right? That you have the power to decide when you can and can't go to work?"

"Mhm."

"So, you realize you can get to work a little later because you're in charge?"

"Yup."

There was a pause as Patty figured out what to say next to try and make sense of Wendy's unending stubbornness. "But you'd rather be a working woman that doesn't know how to have fun anymore at the young age of twenty-four?"

"Yeah, that sounds about right."

"I. . . really don't know what to do with you."

"Listen, Patty, I have fashion week to worry about, plus, I have the grand opening of my line and store to focus on. I agreed to do very minimal work for the week in Malibu, so, please, let me take my bath in peace and I promise I'll let loose next week," I bargained, hearing her sigh on the other end.

"Yeah, yeah, alright. You better let loose, I swear. You need it and I'm not about you being a downer all week," she chided and then hung up the phone on me.

Pushing Patty's nagging voice to the back of my head, I sunk down a little bit in the tub, resting my head on the edge and closed my eyes.

God, this felt good.

---

well, this could've gone a lot better but i suck lol also idk anything about how the fashion world works but just work with me okay it's just a story :)

idk why but for some reason im experiencing difficulty in how imma go about the rest of the story,, but dont worry i'll figure myself out

please do VOTE and COMMENT and yknow spread some love today <3

stay rad xo
-g

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 7 17
She found friendship in him. She helped him with everything. She was always there when no one does. But in the end, he still chose her. She's had h...
Finally By Sarah

Fanfiction

1.1K 14 27
They're best friends. He's in love with her, she only sees him as a friend. He dates another girl, she meets a new guy. They're both hurt. They both...
258 82 30
James and Emily are best friends and like most best friendships made up of two people of the opposite genders, one has a crush on the other. James ha...
683K 19.3K 27
[Completed, but in desperate need of editing] " A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other…Mayb...