Miss Incomplete | ✓

بواسطة NeekieWriter

Francena Nakamura never expected that, for the usage of her senior year, she'll be helping Julian Dean - star... المزيد

Miss Incomplete
1 | He Loves Me
2 | He Loves Me Not
3 | He Loves Me
4 | He Loves Me Not
5 | He Loves Me
6 | He Loves Me Not
7 | He Loves Me
8 | He Loves Me Not
9 | He Loves Me
10 | He Loves Me Not
11 | He Loves Me
12 | He Loves Me Not
13 | He Loves Me
14 | He Loves Me Not
15 | He Loves Me
16 | He Loves Me Not
17 | He Loves Me
18 | He Loves Me Not
19 | He Loves Me
20 | He Loves Me Not
21 | He Loves Me
22 | He Loves Me Not
23 | He Loves Me
24 | He Loves Me Not
25 | He Loves Me
26 | He Loves Me Not
27 | He Loves Me
28 | He Loves Me Not
29 | He Loves Me
30 | He Loves Me Not
31 | He Loves Me
32 | He Loves Me Not
33 | He Loves Me
34 | He Loves Me Not
35 | He Loves Me
36 | He Loves Me Not
37 | He Loves Me
38 | He Loves Me Not
39 | He Loves Me
40 | He Loves Me Not
41 | He Loves Me
42 | He Loves Me Not
43 | He Loves Me
44 | He Loves Me Not
45 | He Loves Me
46 | He Loves Me Not
47 | He Loves Me
48 | He Loves Me Not
49 | He Loves Me
50 | He Loves Me Not
51 | He Loves Me
52 | He Loves Me Not
53 | He Loves Me
54 | He Loves Me Not
55 | He Loves Me
56 | He Loves Me Not
58 | He Loves Me Not
59 | He Loves Me
60 | He Loves Me Not
61 | He Loves Me
62 | He Loves Me Not
63 | He Loves Me
64 | He Loves Me Not
65 | He Loves Me
66 | He Loves Me Not
67 | He Loves Me
68 | He Loves Me Not
69 | He Loves Me
70 | He Loves Me Not
71 | He Loves Me
72 | He Loves Me Not
73 | He Loves Me
74 | He Loves Me Not
75 | He Loves Me
76 | He Loves Me Not
77 | He Loves Me
78 | He Loves Me Not
79 | He Loves Me
80 | He Loves Me Not
81 | He Loves Me
82 | He Loves Me Not
83 | He Loves Me
84 | He Loves Me Not
85 | He Loves Me
86 | He Loves Me Not
Epilogue
End Credits
Bonus #4 | Dear, April 13th

57 | He Loves Me

3K 171 149
بواسطة NeekieWriter

"Happy birthday Francena, happy birthday to you,"

Iris lowly sings in the nail salon, and I shake my head, laughing as I wave her off from continuing. Knowing Iris, she would try to make the whole nail salon to sing the song for me.

"Iris, stop, you're gonna embarrass me!" I whisper-yelled, causing her to giggle. I gave her a weird look, before she points down to her toes showing that the nail technician was at the scrub part—where they scrub the bottom of her foot to make it smoother.

"It's your birthday?" I turn away from Iris' laughing figure to the girl doing my pedicure. She had a mask on, covering half of her face, but from what I see, she's pretty young. My best guess is that she's fourteen-fifteen years old at best. She had long black hair, and pale skin. This was the first time she talked to me.

"Um, yeah," I nod, answering her question. "I turn eighteen."

"Oh, happy birthday!" She tries to sound cheerful but her voice was low and in an almost whisper. I concluded that she doesn't like to make that much noise. "You're in high school still, right?"

"Yeah," I nod, giving her a warm smile. "It's my senior year."

"How is it?"

Oh god; little child, you don't even understand. "It's okay, classes has been good and it wasn't that hard but... I just got a lot of drama going around with me."

"What do you mean by that?"

I debated telling her, especially when she's probably just entering high school and her beliefs on how high school is will change, but then again, she's a stranger and I wouldn't have to worry about her telling people I know. "I, um, got into a lot of problems with my crush. He likes me, and I like him, but y'know, the time isn't right?" I stopped myself, "I mean, you're probably still young and relationship is probably not a thing on your mind right now—and focus on your education—but yeah."

She giggles. "What's his name?"

I paused. "Julian."

"Is he the one? Like, your soulmate?" She asks, generally curious. She couldn't keep much eye-contact with me because she was doing my toes, but she did try to make a glance up every once in a while to make sure to let me know that she was listening.

"No," I shake my head.

She stopped, and looks up from my toes. "Then why would you like him if he's not your soulmate?"

"Because I found my soulmate, but he's not my true love."

"What's the difference?"

I sigh, trying to think of the time I told Julian about the same thing. "A soulmate is like, someone who is meant to be with you—in your life, forever. They help you, empower you, and care about you deeply but it doesn't always have to be romantically. It could be platonically. Or sibling love. It's just someone who is meant to be in your life, and make you better."

"A true love is like someone who you're meant to be with romantically. Someone you love, someone who is like your best friend but together in a partnership. They are the one for you completely. Soulmate are there forever. True love, despite being the one for you entirely, could leave."

"And before you ask," I saw that her mask moved, indicating that she opened her mouth to ask another question. "Soulmates and true loves can be one person. In my opinion, it's just extremely rare. It's like the best love out there, I believe, soulmate and true love."

"So..." the young girl trails off, as she falls back into her job, "is this Julian your true love? And who's your soulmate?"

"Well, I don't know if Julian is my true love, we aren't even dating." I answered simply. "I kinda hope he is, but who knows, maybe this crush on him will fade and I'll find my true love afterwards."

"But your soulmate?"

"My best friend; his name is Graham."

"What about Graham?" Iris pops back into the conversation, leaning her body forward as she digs herself into this young girl and I's conversation. I glare at Iris jokingly, as she ignores my stare and looks to the young girl. "Do you know Graham?"

"Wait..." the young girl holds out her hand, "is he like extremely tall and is like white and has green eyes?"

"Oh my god, yes?" Iris answers, her big brown eyes widen as the young girl nods her head excitedly.

"He comes into the nail salon every month to get like a pedicure and a manicure. He gives the best tips," the young girl said, smiling as her eyes creased at the end. Iris and I turn to each other, sharing a glance before bursting out laughing.

"Wow," Iris said, once our laughter died from the quiet, jazz music, environment. "No wonder Graham's hands are always so clean! He gets them done!"

"I don't know if I should be jealous or happy for him; his nails look better than mine," I giggle, shaking my head as I imagine this young girl, or another nail technician doing Graham's manicure and pedicure. I turn to the girl, "have you done his toes and nails before?"

"Yeah," she giggles, as her cheeks grew red, "and he's kinda cute."

"Oh my god," Iris comes into realisation, "do you have a crush on Graham Rivera?"

She doesn't say anything, getting back to work as Iris and I got our answer. The girl finishes up on my section, as Iris was already to the point of them putting nail polish on her toes and the young girl picks up my colour. "White?" She asks, and I nod.

"Easiest to match," I answer as the girl nods. She begins to unscrew the square bottle before putting them onto my toes. "Hey, what's your name?"

She stopped, finishing my left foot as her eyes widen and she looks up to me. "Oh my god, why? Did I do something wrong?" She looks fearful, and I shake my head abruptly.

"Oh, no!" I shake my head, "I just like you. You're really cute and adorable, and I don't know, if I ever come here again, I just wanna request you."

"Oh," her breathing seized back to normal control, "my name is Lila. What's yours?"

"My name is Francena," I answer. "And your name is really pretty."

"Thank you," she finishes, putting on the protective top coat. "And you're finished."

"Thank you, Lila," I said, as she puts on my slides that Iris specifically told me to bring. "You've been pretty cool, I hope to see you again."

"And I hope you figure out your situation about Julian," she answers, picking her tool tray up and leaving to the back where the last thing I saw of her were her long dark hair.

"You gave her a good tip, right?" I asked Iris for the third time once exiting out of the nail salon, "because she was really cool and I really liked her—"

"Yes, Francena," Iris sighs, dramatically. "Don't worry, I got you."

"We should've brought Graham with us," I declare, getting into Iris' car. Her burgundy Kia Optima was a normal four door, five seats car. Packed with leather interior, she kept it prime and clean. The only thing considered out of place was her backpack in the backseat, taking up a spot, and the couple of bags of clothing we bought from the mall—actually Iris bought for me. "Lila would've love it and I would love to see how Graham has been hiding it from us."

"True, true," Iris puts her car into her car. "But I already told you; Graham is out there getting a reservation for us for your birthday."

"And, you didn't tell me. I had to force it out of you because one, you're a terrible liar, and two, you told me Graham forgot my birthday. Forgot."

"To be fair; Graham told me he wanted to have some time to get the reservation! I'm sorry if the best thing I can come up with is he forgot your birthday. You try thinking of something on the spot!" Iris exits out of the driveway as the sun begins to set. It was 6:39PM, as said on Iris' clock.

"Um, alright," I cross my arms together, a hand on my chin like I was in total thought. "'Sorry, Francena, Graham is out getting your present because he forgot to buy it—again.' 'Sorry, Francena. Graham is sick and he's trying to get better.' 'Sorry, Francena, Graham doesn't like pedicures because he's a guy!' Anything would've been better than Graham forgetting my birthday. He texted me last night at twelve happy birthday."

"Well, I'm sorry, he didn't tell me." Iris rolled her eyes, "and plus, your last excuse is terrible too. We just found out that Graham likes pedicures and manicures... so..."

I roll my eyes as Iris takes a right, exiting into a intersecting that does not lead home. "Iris..."

"Shut up," Iris said quickly, her eyes concentrated on the road as the traffic wasn't terrible today. I gave her a widen eye look before backing up, leaning against the seat as I let Iris take control of the situation. If Iris is anything, she plans ahead and I'm pretty sure some mathematical complex equation is stirring in her head on how to quickly leave this traffic.

Iris switch lanes, cleverly steering ahead as she dodges the main distribution of traffic jam — a car crash — and made it to the smoother, other side of the road. With a silent cheer Iris gave herself, she makes another turn and entering into what seems to be like a apartment complex. I lean forward, taking in the place as the place seems unfamiliar to me.

It has a large luxury pool, with garden chairs dedicated a small section within the water. A small bonfire setting, a patio setting and each apartment seems to have a dedicated porch for themselves. "Iris..."

"Okay, so we need to go help Graham with something..." Iris said, giving me a guilty look.

"Liar!" I pointed to her face, knowing that look. She roll her eyes, looking away as she parks into the parking lot and exits out of the car. She walks over to me, opening up my door as she looks at me expectantly. "I'm not leaving until you tell me what's going on."

I cross my arms, trying to make the statement. Iris yanks the seatbelt open, and pull on my hand, forcing me out of her car. I almost tripped from her sudden strength, and left the comfy seat on the car. I frown, "how the hell are you so strong?"

"I carry a lot of books," she shrugs, pulling me into the apartment complex. She goes up to the receptionist, stating a few words before the lady points to a door that leads to the open rooftop. Iris drags me along, thanking the nice lady, as she pulls me into the elevator before pressing the rooftop lounge button.

"I have a suspicious that we're not going out to eat..." I said, looking at my best friend wearily.

"You're correct."

"And I have a suspicious that I'm getting taken to a surprise party..." I said, still looking at Iris' face, waiting for her to crack. Her full lips pressed together in a thin line, and she struggles to let out a word. "And confirmed."

"Okay, but like you gotta act surprise!" Iris warns, and I gave her a look.

"To what, three people at my party?" I roll my eyes, as the elevator dinged and the doors open. A gust of wind blew in our direction before we exit out of the elevator, onto the rooftop.

"Surprise!" Everyone yelled, jumping up from their hiding spots (which weren't the best), as they hop up with open arms and bright smile. There was more than three people—Graham, Tara, Colin, Isaac, Nick, Jaycee, Julian, Kenji.

"Wow," I said quietly, as Iris drags me closer. I take in the view; three locations, one indoor lounge that covers the top and covers like a brick roof, but has a wall opening to the other compartments. Two outdoor lounge, one under the sun with a few seats around two bonfires and the other lounge under a shade with the covering walls made of glass—allowing us to see the view of the city.

Food decorated the indoor lounge with another table filled with bags of gifts. I turn back to my friends, smiling widely, "thank you!" I ran to Graham, jumping up to give him a hug. He chuckles, holding me for a good few seconds before pulling apart.

"You're welcome," he said as I turn to the rest of the friends and gave them a smile. Just as I was about to open my mouth to ask, Graham butted in, "this is my apartment complex; it's really nice and Rose and me found out about this lounge a week ago. We got the idea for the birthday party here."

"It's awesome," I said as I take a look at the casting view. "Thank all of you guys for coming!"

They let out a cheer, loudly, as some of them send a look over to me. "Since the birthday girl is here," Tara's voice carried, holding a glass in her hand as she raised it, "let's get the party started!"

Everyone cheered louder this time, and the music set off. I laugh, turning to Graham as he sends me a look. "Do you like it?" He asks, and I nod frantically.

"Though, it's the first time I'm breaking out of my tradition of spending the day of with my family," I stop, "it's nice. My friends here, my brother; it makes me think less of the disaster at home."

Graham chuckles, sending a look over to his sister. "She's trying, you know, it's actually feels great having someone that cares for me rather than just my friends."

"Hey, degrading me like that? I'm your sister," I bump his shoulder, causing him to shake his head with a smile lingering over to his lips. "I'mma go over to them, I think I'mma thank everyone individual and some other stuff."

"Alright; your party." Graham shrugs, walking over to Iris for a moment. I turn, seeing Colin and Isaac over at the indoor lounge, their hands tied to video game controllers as they were leans back and forth—in sync.

I walk over to them, as my approaching figure announce my arrival; they paused the game to look at me. "Hey, Francena," Isaac greets, with a wave of his hand. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks," I smile, as Colin repeats the same thing. "I wanted to thank you guys for coming, and," I pause for a moment, "apologise."

Their brows crinkled up, "for what?"

"The whole thing with Julian—I apologised to him—but like as his friends, I feel the need to apologise to you guys." They send each other a look, "You guys are his best friend, and I don't know, I just feel the need to apologise to the both of you. I hurt your best friend—"

"Francena." Colin said, cutting me off. "We're cool. The both of us are. I know the thing with Julian was kinda icky, but when he told us that you apologise, we got it. We're not the type of people who hold grudges. We know you're a good person and a good friend to Julian."

That quiets me down, and I nod silently. They both gave me a shared smile before returning to their game, and I walk away to find Nick next.

He was leaning against the outdoor lounge's glass wall, staring out into the city light. I come up besides him, leaning against next to him.

"Hey," I said quietly, grabbing Nick's attention. He turns around, his blue eyes staring down at me. "Thanks for coming."

"Surprise at the invite from Rivera," Nick said nonchalantly, "but I went anyways."

I nod, not saying as Nick continues. "I heard your apologises to the guys," and I nod, "I know you're not going to do it to me, so why did you come over here?"

"Look," I lean off the glass, standing straight. "I somehow, miraculously, got the chance at a second start with Julian. A fresh one. I know we got off on the wrong foot, especially when you liked him and I liked him and..." I shake my head, getting off-topic. "Can we start new? As like completely new, friends? It's chill if you say no, but I want a chance to be friends with you—in a good way."

I extended my hand, waiting for Nick to take it. He looks at it, eyes blinking and looking back at me. I frown, knowing that was a no from him as my hand slowly drops to my side when Nick grabs it. Shakes it.

"Friends." Nick said, nodding his head as a smile brings up to my lips.

"Friends." I nod, repeating his words.

"Does this mean I can take my gift back? This your gift now?" Nick joked. Joked. I laugh, rolling my eyes as I step away and move over to outdoor lounge. I notice that Jaycee and Julian were talking, and not walking to disturb their relationship. I stood still.

Kenji walks up to me, a smile brim his lips, "it's your party, why are you standing there like an awkward outcast?"

"I wanted to talk to Jaycee first—" Kenji yanks my hand, pulling me over to the indoor lounge where Isaac and Colin sat.

"Guys, can you put that game Just Dance on?" Kenji asks, causing them to nod and change the system. I'm pretty sure on a regular basis, if a kid told them to change their game, they wouldn't do it. Isaac pressed on the control, changing it over to the Xbox and hands us the remote. I look at Kenji with a brow raised.

"So, given that you can beat me in Mortal Kombat, what about Just Dance?"

"Oh, you're on," I said, stepping into the scene.

I lean back, tired and drained as I take a seat in front of the lit bonfire. Kenji and me had a couple rounds of dancing, evened out on a solid tie until this last round, declare Kenji as the winner. Other friends saw our competitive blood and decided to join in on the action; Isaac went against Iris, Graham went against Jaycee, and Colin went against Nick. I think Tara is playing against her brother right now, and before that, Julian played against his sister.

It was night-time, and the only light source is the bonfires, the light lamps that are set up on the side of the walls of the apartment complex and the moon. It was enough, allowing me to see everyone within the distance and seeing them enjoying themselves.

There's no designated cake that is meant to blow out a wish—and instead, had a lot of American/Japanese food at the table. However, Graham was slick and said everyone to have a piece of ice cream cake—that's not meant for the birthday, just as an ordinary food selection. Safe to say, I like his clever attitude and had about three plates of ice cream.

I look out to the moonlight, seeing myself in the middle of the city for the first time at night-time with no intention of leaving. It was nice, calm, up here. I might be visiting Graham a bit more in the city.

Someone takes the seat next to me, as the chair squeaked. I turn, seeing Julian looking out in the same direction as me. His eyes found mine and a smile appeal to his lips, "Happy birthday," he said quietly. I smile.

"Thank you," I said, "now you say it though? It's been four hours since the party started."

"Yeah, but we ate, had more than a couple dance battles, a music break and a small argument between Iris and Rivera about who was the better best friend for coming up with the birthday idea—which I think Iris won, by the way." I chuckle at his words. "Why do Rivera call Iris 'Rose?'"

"Huh? Oh that?" I query, to which Julian nods, "well, when Graham came up to me to ask to be my friend, he knew I hanged out with some other girl a lot. So, when he came up to us, he, and I quote, said 'Where's the other girl you always hang out with? The one with the flower? Rose?' And so it stuck. Iris got called 'Rose' from him all the time nowadays."

Julian laughs, and I smile as the boy I'm falling for tilted his head back in laughter. It was adorable, to me, but of course, when you're in love, anything is adorable.

There's that word again.

I shake the thought out of my head as Julian sobers up; he turns to me, a smile on his lips. "How's your day so far?"

"Perfect. Great. My best friend tricked me out of bed this morning, I met this cool chick at the nail salon and my best friend bought me things from the mall. My other best friend was planning my birthday-surprise party while bringing some of my good friends here, so, great."

Julian doesn't say anything and nods, beginning to look back out to the moonlight. I poke him to grab his attention, "when is our next Miss Incomplete meeting?"

His brows furrowed together, slightly stunned from the idea. "I-I thought you wanted to forget about it."

I shake my head, "Though it's awkward, you knowing that I previously had a crush on you and sent notes to you—I still believe we had a deal. I'm not going to forget that. We find out who Miss Incomplete — the copycat, and you'll go to therapy like you promise."

He chuckles, "even when you got a new start, you still care about me."

"Of course," I said, a giggle bypass my lips. "We had a deal."

Julian doesn't say anything as I felt myself gotten things off my chest, I begin to look back out to the skyline; the moon overhead us as I remember something important I needed to do.

"Shit, Julian, what time is it?" I said, as I turn to the boy. He pulls out his phone.

"10:54PM, why?" My eyes widen as I stood up from my seat. I glance over at the group who were dancing in front of the Xbox, now the competition was between Kenji and Graham.

"I need to go to the temple before twelve to make my wish," Julian gives me a confused look, "it's a family tradition that I've never passed."

"Do you need a ride?" He asks and I send another look back to the group, seeing that they are still dancing. I nod, turning back to Julian.

"Please." He grabs a hold of my hand as he begin to drag me out of the lounges and towards the elevator. We enter into as Julian press on the lobby button, my foot begins to tap on the floor impatiently. The temple I always go to—the one with my family—is about an hour away from here. I need to be there and finish my prayers and wishes before twelve.

We got out to the lobby and towards the parking lot where the familiar Mustang comes back into view. I hop into the passenger side, while Julian takes his driver's. I lock myself in the seatbelt as Julian pulls out of the parking lot, my hand went up to fidget with the necklace—nervous that I won't make it in time.

"Hey, it's going to be okay," Julian's eyes focused on the road ahead of him as he tries to calm me. I nod, attempting to take in his words but the fear piled in my stomach. I didn't spend the day with my family, the least I could do was finish the tradition. "Francena."

"I know, I know," my voice was unconvincing, as I fidget with the necklace piece. Julian sighs, dropping a hand off of his steering wheel and into the middle compartment between our seats. I stare at it, stopping for a moment to give him a weird look.

"Take my hand," he commands lightly, and I gave him a weird look. "So you'll stop fidgeting. Just take my hand."

I sigh, deciding to take it. I knew it would calm me, because my mind was strip away from the fact that I might not make it to the temple in time and instead, think about how I'm holding Julian's hand.

"How's the whole situation at home?" Julian queries, trying to stir a conversation to train my mind away from the whole tradition. What he doesn't know is that he's already helping.

"Mom is still at home, dad is carrier to her every need and my sobo is pissed off." I answer with distaste on my tongue, "Kenji doesn't like the idea of leaving either, and so far there's no more discussions to be made about the whole arrangement. I don't think she's going to go ahead with it, she's not that cruel—I hope."

"And where are you in this?"

"Kinda pissy about the whole thing. I hate the idea that's she's living with us right now, and every time I go downstairs for breakfast, I would see her. I hate that she's thinking of taking Kenji, cause there's no way in hell anyone of us would let her. Oh, and at the dinner, she said she would move too." I spare a glance over to Julian, and he chuckles. "What's funny?"

"Nothing." He answers, and I pull on our intertwined hands. "Okay. It's kinda cute that you're always so overprotective about your brother."

I scoff, "I'm not overprotective. I'm just very protective; the difference is that I would let him do stuff that I don't like because that's his thing. If I was overprotective, Kenji wouldn't even have white friends like the ones he have."

"Okay, okay," Julian shrugs, backing off. Unconvinced. "Very protective."

"Oh shut up," I laugh, feeling a bit more relax. "I have a strong relationship with my brother."

"Oh, I knew that." Julian declares smartly, making a small expression at the works of his words. I laugh. "You denied a date with me for your brother, your brother told me he was the first guy in your life threateningly and... you cried over the fact that your brother could be leaving." His tone shifted to serious in the last statement, and at his words, the smile wiped off my face.

"He's not going to." I announce confidentially, "I won't let her."

"I know," Julian said, sending a reassuring smile. And I nod, not wanting to be on the conversation anymore. "Francena."

"Huh?"

"How come you say 'I love you' to your brother every time you leave? Like you said it once when we went off to the walk after you threaten to kill your brother—and you said it another time when we left after our date? I just noticed it was something you did."

"Oh," trying to find the origin of the story myself. "I don't know," I shrug, "I just did it one day and it kinda stuck. I think–I think it was because when my mom left, she didn't say anything. No goodbye, no I love yous. It kinda traumatised me into overthinking. So, like, when I do it to Kenji—and when he does it back—it's to show that if that's the last time we see each other, despite our arguments, our anger, our ridiculous fights to another; it would be the last thing we said to each other."

I frowned at the thought. To think, that if we were to lose each other so young, it would be the last thing we say to each other. At least, overall, we would know that we are loved. By at least someone.

Julian must've saw the frown at the thought, before he quickly adds onto another topic.

"So, tell me about this tradition." Julian muses, eyes sending me a careful glance. "Is it like religious?"

"No," I shake my head, looking towards his direction before turning back to my fingers. "It's a family tradition. Instead of birthday cakes on birthdays, we go to the temple and the birthday person lights up the incense. We pray to Buddha for our wishes and fortune. Our family behind us would pray alongside with us, but... I guess not today."

He heard the sadness in my voice and got quiet after my explanation. "I'll pray behind you, if you'll like."

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: Julian probably be thinking like: fuck, I'm bad at changing topics.]

That took me off for a moment, and while Julian couldn't see the look on my face. I nod, "um, yeah, that would be great." I said softly, and Julian smiles. He makes a turn, and slowly, the outline of the temple comes into view. I look at the time, see it was ten minutes till twelve.

Julian pulls into a parking space and I exit out of the car in a rush; running up the steps to the temple as the crowding monks comes and sends me a warm smile before going on with their work. I found the largest praying room from memory, and look behind me to see if Julian had followed.

He is, a few steps behind as we enter into the room, slipping out of our shoes. I walk up to the golden statue when Julian grabs a hold of my arm, stopping me from continuing.

"What am I supposed to do?" He asks quietly, looking around the room before turning back to me.

"Usually, the birthday person would be in front and everyone behind. We would just pray that they get their wish, y'know?" I move forward and take an incense from the pile, lighting it into flame. I slip onto my knees, the hardwood pressed against my skin as the incense stick between my fingers. Eyes closed.

What do I want to wish for?

Dear, Buddha.

My name is Francena Nakamura, and I'm born on February 4th. It's my eighteenth birthday today, and well, usually my family would come here at night to give a usual wish. I don't have my family right now, but—actually.

I stopped, looking behind me as I notice that Julian had slipped onto his knees, eyes closed as he sits into a praying positon. I smile. I turn back.

Anyways. Let's see what there's to wish for.

I typically don't wish for much; I have a good decent life, I have good education, good health and a good family. I have great friends and the best brother, but umm, wishes are typically wants than needs, huh?

Well, I guess, I'll try to go down the list.

I wish that my friend Iris Bhatt, is valedictorian. It was one of her dreams and I wish that she gets into the college that she wants. She deserves it, truly.

I wish that my friend Graham Rivera, is happy with his sister. I hope that their relationship strengthens from the years of neglect, and they face their parents together. I wish that Graham would leave the trauma his parents placed on him and move on and forget them. I hope that his and his parents' relationship get fixed—but that's not likely going to happen, but if anything, I hope it does.

I wish that my brother embraces his culture more. I know he's doing the best he can, and I hope, as a God, you could steer him into the right direction. I want him to learn that being Japanese, despite its stereotype, is wonderful.

I wish that Nick Ellison, a new friend of mine, has the chance to embrace himself. I know growing up in a Christian community could be discriminating, especially towards homosexuality, but I hope he finds his right light.

I wish that, my crush, Julian Dean, finds happiness. I hope that we can find this copycat so he would go to therapy. I wish that he would become better; putting his health above everything else. I want him to be happy, and secure, and if that's not with me... as much as it hurts, it's okay. I just want him to happy.

Lastly. I want to be happy too. It's a typical wish, but a real one. I want to stop all this bad karma to come, I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I guess it's part of life. I just, kinda want to be happy.

I don't want my mom to be in my life anymore, I don't want Kenji to be taken away and... I want Julian. For real.

The dong dings, and I knew my time was up. I didn't exactly finish my prayers, but enough was done. I bowed, before lifting myself up and digging the incense into the sand. "Amidahotoke." I declare, to which I hear Julian stutter the words in mimic. I giggle, smiling at Julian as he quietly asks.

"Are you done?" I nod, giving his answer as he nods, understanding. I begin to walk out as he follows.

We enter onto the open courtyard, the pavement of marble rocks on rocks to create a large pavement and opening for comfortability. Julian and I walk side by side, silent but nice.

"What did you wish for?" Julian asks, popping into the silence. "Or is it like Americans wishes on cake where you can't tell or it won't come true?"

"No, I'm allowed to tell." I said, not continuing.

"And...?"

"I asked for Iris to be valedictorian, I ask for Graham to be happy. I ask for Nick to, um, be secure. I ask for you..." I paused for a moment. He looks at me; curious. "To be happy. Y'know, in health and in life."

"Oh." He said, not clarifying what he was thinking. "Anything else?"

"I don't want my mom in my life anymore, I don't want Kenji to be taken away and...." I stopped. Fresh start. Fresh start. "That's it."

"You're lying," he muses, and I was taken back to how quickly he discovered. "There's more."

"No, there isn't," I quickly said.

"You used the same voice when you said you weren't Miss Incomplete," he announces, making me curse the fact that I have a voice when I lie. "What is it?"

I didn't answer, fearing that my voice would tell more than just my words. "Is it... about me?"

Bingo.

"Come on, let's go back," I grab a hold of his arm, pulling him out of the courtyard. He refuses to budge, sticking to the ground.

"Not until you tell me what it was." He announces. He crosses his arm, and I release my hold on him with a glare on my face.

"Julian, it was nothing. Come on, the gang is probably wondering why..." Julian steps forward, closer to me as his arms came by his side and he comes in to close our distance. A few steps before he was right in front of me, in close proximity as he looks down at something.

My lips.

He moves in closer, and as I stand with no ounce of my body wanting to move—a throat was clear and broke the moment. I snapped out of my thoughts, jumping a couple of steps back to turn and see a monk glaring at us.

His arms crossed as he looks between us.

Oh fuck.

"Sorry," I pathetically excused, as I grab a hold of Julian and pull him out of the temple. My cheeks red from embarrassment and well, other things.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

359 26 6
I can't seem to look away from her. Her perfect lips, her amazingly curly hair, her gorgeous eyes, her stupid pretty face. I look into her eyes final...
54.2K 2.2K 27
They met by accident...by chance. The campus of UNC was busy that day. Everyone was in a hurry. Especially the two juniors that would collide and u...
373K 9K 70
London born Gigi Lastra is struggling to make ends meet let alone make it big in the music business and make a name for herself. Working two jobs to...
222K 5.8K 38
They were friends. He was a player, and she, she just existed. But, they were friends, who trusted each other for more than a decade. Echo, an or...