Far From Perfect

By AngelicaGabriela1991

Far From Perfect. That's what I am. It's what I've always been. How do I even begin to see myself as anyth... More

Dedication
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Acknowledgments

Chapter 15

6.6K 244 28
By AngelicaGabriela1991

Nate hangs the camera strap around his neck and releases my hand for a moment to open the trunk of his car. I just watch him in awe as the ocean breeze slightly messes up his slicked-back hair but rather than look like a bird's nest like mine does when mother nature likes to be evil, his hair looks good. Tousled. It makes me want to run my fingers through it. I somehow manage to resist the urge and just bite my lip as I stare at him in awe. He's absolutely perfect in every way and best of all, he's mine. Mine and only mine. How did I get so lucky?

I see him pull out a large picnic basket and a blanket from the trunk of his car and can't help but smile. He literally planned out every detail of this date. He slides the blanket through the handle of the basket, shuts the trunk, making sure to lock his car before taking my hand in his again.

"What about my clothes?" I ask him.

"I can get it later. We won't need it right now."

"Okay." I'm not sure what all the outfits are for but I'm genuinely curious what he has planned for our first date.

We walk out onto the sand and make our way towards a more secluded area of the beach that is practically empty with the exception of a few seagulls that are wandering around in the sand, but other than that it's just the two of us. "What do you think about this spot?"

"It's perfect."

"I couldn't agree more." He puts the basket down on the ground and starts unfolding the blanket. 

"Let me help you." I grab one end of the blanket while he grabs the other end and together we lay it out perfectly on the sand. He starts pulling things out from the basket, including a bottle of sparkling apple cider and lots of Tupperware full of food. He really put thought into every detail. "Did you make this all yourself?"

"Yes. Surprised?"

"Honestly...yes," I respond with a smile. "Not many guys can cook, so when they can, it's a big surprise."

"Well, surprise," he tells me with a chuckle.

"How'd you learn to cook?" I ask him curiously.

"I learned in college. I had to make myself food to survive because the food there wasn't the best and it was honestly cheaper for me to make my own food, so that's basically how it all started. Eventually, I realized my cooking wasn't all that great, so I took some cooking classes and months later came out a new man with some good cooking skills."

"I'll be the judge of that," I say with a grin, making him chuckle.

"Be my guest. Either way, you're stuck with my cooking."

"I'm sure it will at least taste good."

"At least?" he responds almost offended but I know he's just messing around.

"Did I hesitate?" I respond and he lifts his brow. "I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I'm sure your food is great," I reassure him.

"I know it is," he says with a cocky smirk. "Now ladies first." He offers me his hand to help me sit down but I refuse and he gives me a confused look.

"I need to do something really quick," I tell him and take off my shoes and socks and toss them to the side. The moment my bare feet touch the sand, I sigh. "Sorry, I had to do it," I say embarrassed. "I can't come to the beach and not feel the sand under my toes."

"I get it," he says with a smile and takes off his own shoes and socks and comes to stand beside me. "This is always one of the best parts about coming to the beach."

"Exactly." I'm so glad he gets it.

He offers me his hand again and this time I gladly take it and sit down on the blanket, leaving my legs to the side so I don't accidentally flash him with my Spanx. He sits down beside me and puts his camera on the other side of him before handing me a fancy looking disposable plate along with a plastic fork and spoon. "Sorry for all the disposable stuff. I just figured it would be best for a trip to the beach."

"Don't apologize. I think it's perfect."

"I'm glad. The last thing I want is for you to think I'm cheap."

"Not at all. I wouldn't change a thing about this date. It's perfect," I reassure him and that seems to put him at ease.

He opens up all the Tupperware containers and tells me to serve myself first. I try to make him serve himself along with me, but he insists that I go first. I grab a bit of everything, which consists of a yummy looking fruit salad, mango chicken, fruit-filled sushi rolls that are rolled in soy paper, and sweet and sour pork. It all smells so delicious and makes my stomach growl the moment I get a whiff of it.

"This smells amazing," I comment.

"Well I hope it tastes like it smells," he tells me and I can tell he's starting to doubt his cooking abilities, but I don't doubt for a second that he's an amazing cook. It all looks and smells delicious, and I would bet my life that it tastes amazing too.

"I bet it does."

"Well dig in and find out for yourself."

I take a bite of my mango chicken and moan the moment it hits my taste buds. It's sinfully delicious. "This is so good," I compliment him and take a bite of my fruit salad, which is equally delicious.

"You should really teach me how to cook. The only thing I'm really good at making is eggs and dessert. That's about it," I admit embarrassed.

"Don't worry. I can cook for you. There's no need for you to learn," he tells me and I blush.

"Thanks. That's really sweet of you to offer but you can't always be there to cook for me so I definitely have to learn. Otherwise, I'll have to eat scrambled eggs and dessert for the rest of my life."

"That doesn't sound so bad," he says with a chuckle and I glare at him.

"Of course, it's bad. I need more than eggs and dessert."

"I already told you, I'll cook for you."

"No, you won't. Stop making promises you can't keep," I respond grumpily, wishing he really could cook for me all the time. I could just imagine waking up to him shirtless, wearing nothing but sweatpants, making me bacon and eggs. Now that would be the life.

"You there?" he teases me and I blush when I realize I spaced out imagining him cooking for me shirtless. "Where'd you go?" he asks curiously when I don't respond.

"You don't want to know."

"I think I do."

"Well, too bad. I'm not telling you."

"Were you imagining me naked?" he asks boldly and I choke on my own spit. I begin to cough and feel my eyes water as I struggle to catch my breath. He pats my back to help me past it but gives me a look that tells me I'm not off the hook. At least not yet.

Once I'm back to normal I clear my raspy throat and he smiles deviously.

"You were imagining me naked, weren't you?" he asks and I blush.

No, definitely not naked, but close enough.

"Nope, not naked," I say, biting my lip.

"Shirtless?" he presses and I shake my head but I can tell he doesn't believe me and why should he when I'm clearly lying. "What was I doing shirtless?" he pries and I roll my eyes.

"None of your business."

"Was I cooking for you?" he asks and I sigh.

"Seriously?!" I ask frustrated and he grins.

"I knew it," he says smugly. "If you want me to cook shirtless for you, just say the word and I'll make it happen."

"No, thank you."

"Your loss," he says with a shrug of his shoulders and starts eating his own food. "Eat," he tells me and I don't think twice to dig into my delicious plate of food. Moments later he opens the bottle of sparkling apple cider and gives me a cup full. He grabs another cup for himself and goes back to eating.

We both eat in silence while staring out at the ocean that isn't too far from where we're sitting. It's really nice and peaceful and just the perfect way to start off our first date. I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Ready for dessert?" Nate asks me as I stare out into the ocean. I snap out of my daze and turn towards him to see him pulling out another Tupperware container from the basket.

"What's in there?"

"Guess."

"Pie? Fruit? I don't know."

"Close but no," he tells me and lifts the lid, revealing a delicious looking strawberry cheesecake.

"Did you make that too?"

"Yup," he responds with pride in his eyes.

"You're amazing, you know that? You know how to prepare drinks, you're a photographer and you know how to cook. You're like the perfect package."

"I do have a pretty great package," he says with a smirk and I smack him on the arm playfully.

"Nate!"

"What? It's true."

"You also have a very big ego," I remind him.

"And a big package to go with that ego," he says with a wink and I roll my eyes.

"Whatever you say."

"Have you thought better about me cooking for you shirtless?"

"The answer is still no." I don't need him in my kitchen or any kitchen for that matter, cooking shirtless. He will only tempt me with what I can't have. At least for now.

"If you change your mind, I'm more than willing to put on a show for you," he says with a wink and I shake my head at him.

"You're relentless," I tell him and this brings a smile to his face.

"So I've been told," he says smugly. "Cheesecake?" he asks suddenly, changing the subject and boy am I glad we're getting off the topic of him cooking shirtless. I don't need that image in my head any more than necessary.

"Yes, please."

"For dessert, I figured we could share it," he tells me and offers me a forkful of cheesecake. "Open up." He pushes the bite of cheesecake past my lips and I bite it off the fork. He pulls it out from between my teeth and watches me intently as I slowly chew the bite of heaven that he fed me and moan in appreciation. "You like?

"I love," I tell him as he lifts the fork towards his mouth with a bite of cheesecake.

"If you get to feed me, I get to feed you too," I tell him and take the fork from his hand.

He opens his mouth and I slip the bite of cheesecake between his lips and watch as he pulls it off the fork using just his lips. He finishes his bite and licks his lips, which he obviously does to make sure there are no crumbs on his lips, but his tongue action is so sexy I nearly jump his bones right there and then. "Want a lick?" he teases and I can't help but blush in embarrassment. He offers me another bite of cheesecake and I gladly take it. We feed each other bites of cheesecake until it's all gone.

"That was delicious."

"There's plenty more where that came from," he says, holding out another Tupperware container.

"Maybe later. I'm way too full right now but thanks for all the delicious food. It was all amazing just like the cook," I compliment him with a wink.

"Is that so?"

"Yes. Now take the compliment while I'm feeling generous."

"Fine," he says with a laugh and puts everything back in the basket with the exception of the bottle of sparkling apple cider and our cups. "Ready for the next part?"

"There's more?" I ask surprised.

"Yes," he responds with a laugh. "What? Did you think I was only going to bring you to the beach to feed you?"

"Kind of," I admit embarrassed.

"Well, you couldn't be more wrong. I have way more planned than this."

"Like what?"

"Come with me," he tells me as he stands up and offers me his hand. I gladly take it and manage to get up with his help. "Now do you trust me?"

"Depends," I respond with a smirk.

"Do you or do you not trust me?"

"I trust you."

"Then follow me." He grabs his camera and leads me towards the water. "What are we going to do?"

"I'm going to photograph you."

"What? No. Anything but that."

"You said you trusted me."

"I do. I just...I don't like being photographed," I remind him and can't help but feel embarrassed about my aversion to pictures. Why can't I just be like everyone else? My generation is obsessed with selfies and I absolutely hate them, because I hate what I see.

"Why?"

"Because I always look ugly and fat," I mutter under my breath and hope that he didn't hear me over the waves, but when I see the scowl on his face I know he heard me loud and clear.

"Who told you that?"

"I did," I respond truthfully. "Pictures don't lie."

"Give me one chance and I will prove to you just how beautiful you are."

"You're setting yourself up for failure."

"One chance. That's all I ask."

"One chance," I repeat.

"You won't regret this," he reassures me and I really want to believe him, but a part of me is filled with doubt. I just can't shake it off no matter how hard I try. "Are you ready to pose for me?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I say with a shrug.

"That's the spirit," he tells me with a smirk. He's clearly amused by my lack of enthusiasm. "Now face me." I do as he asks and follow his every instruction as he snaps picture after picture, but eventually, he just stops and stares at me.

"What?" I ask him, feeling self-conscious about the way he's staring at me.

"Stay right there," he tells me and runs off in direction of his car. I watch his every movement as he gets further and further away, and am still confused when he comes back minutes later. He is holding a large black case and my bag of clothes. He sets my bag down on the blanket and walks back towards me with the case. He puts it down on the sand and pulls out what looks like a tripod. He sets it up and mounts his camera on it.

"Why do you need a tripod?" I ask him curiously.

"You'll see."

"Just tell me."

"You can wait," he responds with a smirk and adjusts the camera and tripod until he's happy with it. "Move a bit more to your left," he instructs me and I do as he says, hoping he tells me why he is doing all this. "Now step a bit further back." I take a few steps back and stop when he puts his hand up. "Perfect."

I watch him grab something from his case and am surprised when he starts walking towards me. He turns me sideways, so I am facing away from the camera. I give him a confused look and he just smiles.

"You need to relax," he tells me and I sigh. "You're way too tense."

"It's easy for you to say. Try being on the other side of the camera. It isn't all that easy."

"I have. I used to do some modeling here and there, but I personally prefer being behind the camera."

"When were you going to tell me you were a model?" I ask surprised by the sudden revelation.

"I just did, didn't I?"

"Obviously, smartass," I retort and he chuckles.

"What? It's not that big of a deal."

"Maybe not to you but it is to me. I can't believe I'm dating a model."

"Ex-model," he corrects me and I sigh.

"Same difference."

"Look it really doesn't matter. That part of my career is in my past now."

"It may not matter to you but it does to me because now I really don't feel adequate enough for you. How could you even want me? Models belong with beautiful people."

"Babe, you seriously need to stop with all this self-doubt. You are beautiful inside and out, and regardless of what you think you are more than enough for me. You are the girl I want and I would not change you for anything in the world."

"You're crazy."

"Crazy for you," he responds with a smirk and manages to make me smile.

"Of course you'd say that."

"I'm a cheesy guy, so either take it or leave it."

"I'll gladly take you as you are," I tell him with a big smile and raise to my toes as my pulse races and my heart thunders against my chest. I don't give myself a chance to second guess what I'm about to do and wrap my arms around his neck before pressing my lips to his. He freezes, completely taken by surprise and I can't help but smile against his lips, feeling proud of myself for initiating a kiss, which is something I hadn't had the courage to do until now.

Nate quickly snaps out of it and frames my face with his hands. I relax into his touch and close my eyes, giving into the moment as his lips move gently against mine. He kisses me nice and slow and I love every second of his sweet kisses that are both a blessing and a curse. His kisses are like nothing I've ever experienced but they make me want more, so much more. No, I need more but how do I get him to give me what I need when I'm new to all this. I don't know how to ask for what I need and as much as I wish he would push for more, he doesn't. I so wish he would though.

I pull back and see that his eyes are hooded and that's all the encouragement I need to show him exactly what I need from him. I lace my fingers in his hair and kiss him with an intensity that I didn't even know I was capable of. I bite his bottom lip, eliciting a groan out of him. "Babe, you're delving into dangerous territory," he warns me as he leans his forehead against mine.

"I'm not afraid," I respond boldly, knowing just what I'm getting myself into.

"You've been warned," he tells me before taking my bottom lip between his teeth. He doesn't waste any time and begins nibbling different parts of my bottom lip but never fails to kiss me each and every time, and when I least expect it he bites my lip hard, making me moan. He continues with his exploration of my lips and sucks on my bottom lip, making my toes curl. I pull his hair and he groans in response, which only makes me want him more.

He releases my bottom lip and licks it before probing my lips with his tongue. As soon as his tongue invades my mouth, I bite it, making him groan in pleasure. I smile against his lips, loving that one small bite is all it takes to drive him crazy. He kisses me harder and I don't think twice to reciprocate the kiss with the same ferocity he's kissing me with. Our kiss is anything but gentle, but I enjoy every second of it and love the fact that I can get this kind of reaction out of Nate. He's clearly relishing this hot passionate kiss just as much as I am, but as much as I am loving every second of our kiss, I need to stop and catch my breath or I very well may pass out from kissing my deliciously handsome boyfriend. And we don't need that. Not on our first date.

I slowly pull away and lower my feet back onto the ground so my head is at level with his chest. I smile as we both open our eyes and am glad to see that he is just as much out of breath as I am, which means I did something right. "That...was...intense," I tell him in between breaths and watch as his lips curve into a smile.

"You can say that again," he responds with a chuckle. "Don't worry though because this will only be the first of many passionate kisses we share," he tells me with a wicked smile.

"I can't wait," I admit, feeling so much more relaxed than when he had first started taking my pictures.

"Good because I plan on kissing you every chance I can." He gives me a quick peck on the lips and smiles.

"You better," I tell him and this makes him grin.

"Are you ready to take some pictures by yourself now?"

"By yourself?" I ask confused. "Did you...did you just take pictures of us?" I ask him in disbelief and am surprised when he shows me a small remote in his hand.

"I did," he admits proudly. "Now we have pictures so we can look back on our first date."

"You sneaky, sneaky man. I better get some copies of those," I tell him and kiss him on the lips again and am glad I'm starting to feel comfortable enough to kiss him without him having to take the initiative. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but to be able to feel this comfortable with someone is huge progress for me.

He smiles and brushes my hair behind my ear. "Don't worry. I'll make sure to get them all to you."

"Promise?"

"Pinky promise," he responds and holds out his pinky to me. I wrap my pinky around his and am glad that we can be our playful selves around each other. "Now are you ready to let me photograph you by yourself?"

"I am," I respond excitedly, which is a big change from earlier. I guess you could say our kisses brightened up my mood. "Let's do this."

He walks over to where his camera is perched on its tripod and stands behind it. "This time I'm not going to tell you what to do. You do whatever feels natural and just go with it. Okay?"

"Got it," I respond and strike a pose that feels right.

Nate removes his camera from the tripod and starts taking pictures of me from all angles.

We dedicate the rest of the day to just taking pictures. I even change a few times, so he can capture me in some of my favorite outfits. Finally after hours and hundreds of pictures later, we finish. What surprises me is that he never complained, not once, and I know for a fact he took tons of pictures. I'm guessing it was nothing to him because lots of practice comes with being a professional photographer.

We pack up everything and put it away in his car and leave just the blanket and the bottle of apple cider. We figure if we can kiss and share spit, sounds gross I know but it's true, we can share a bottle of apple cider too.

"The night sky is so beautiful," I comment as we sit side by side on the blanket and watch in awe as the sun sets behind the ocean water, leaving the beautiful night sky to provide us with all the light we need. It's beautiful and absolutely perfect just like our first date.

"No more beautiful than you," he responds and I blush. "I like that my words affect you as much as they do."

"I am not blushing."

"Never said you were," he responds amused.

"Shit," I mutter under my breath embarrassed.

"Shit is right. You just gave yourself away," he says with a smug grin and leans back on his elbows. I shove him and he falls on his back and laughs. He pulls me on top of him and I laugh right along with him.

He brushes my hair behind my ear and I smile down at him. "Thank you, Nate. For everything. This date was absolutely perfect," I tell him gratefully. I honestly would not change a thing about this day. Not even the fact that I was a nervous wreck in the beginning because it all led up to this moment, which I am glad to be sharing with Nate.

"You're welcome, babe. You deserve nothing but the best. Never forget that," he tells me and I kiss him, needing to know this isn't a dream because Nate is truly what dreams are made of.

When I kiss him, I close my eyes and know for sure this is no crazy dream. This is real and he truly is mine and I'm his. I still have a hard time believing it, but it's true. This wonderful man is mine and only mine and I am lucky to have him in my life. He makes me feel like no one else can, and whether I like to admit it or not, he always brings out the best in me.

Nate is simply perfect and I am far from it, but I no longer care as long as I have Nate by my side. He makes me feel things that I have never felt before, and I know deep down that I can easily come to love him if he gives me the chance. I just hope this overwhelming sense of happiness I feel doesn't end anytime soon because if it does, it will crush me to pieces.

I need Nate like I need air and water. Without him, my existence is incomplete.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.1K 3.5K 33
Beautiful is weighing under 130lbs. Attractive is having the perfect hour glass figure. jealousy is watching your 128lbs best friend cries about bein...
53.7K 2.1K 23
Martina is not just big boned. No: She's more than that. Ever since she was little, Martina has had 'big bones'. Of course, having a low self-estee...
196K 8K 33
"You don't know what it's like to be my size!" I yelled at Naomi. "Me? I wish I could be your size!" "No one wants to be me, no one dreams of being p...
102K 3.5K 42
Complete! Give my book a chance please! Thank you to the people that take the time and read my story!!!! please Vote if you like it!!! Also if you li...