Can't Buy Me Love

Alonadanger tarafından

Joe didn't date. Ever. But what happens when Rami sets him up with someone and it's more than he bargained fo... Daha Fazla

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

Part 1

1.1K 48 20
Alonadanger tarafından

Joe sat straight in the chair, his fingers tapping carelessly on the table as he waited for his date to arrive. He wasn't sure why he agreed to this. Last time one of his friends tried to set him up, he ended up skipping out on the thing entirely. This time was different, however. This time, Rami gave him no other choice. Apparently his third-wheeling had become basically unbearable and the shorter man more or less forced him into this situation.

Joe didn't mind being single. Didn't mind being alone. It was everybody else around him that was bothered by it all.

Joe was content with sitting alone in his office from morning until night, putting his soul purpose on his work. That was his real soulmate. His films, his scripts.

Rami just couldn't see that because now he had a beautiful woman in his life making him do crazy things like going for picnics in the park and rock climbing on the weekends.

It made Joe want to roll his eyes, but in the end he was happy for Rami. Lucy was an amazing girl and he was glad that his best friend had fallen in love. Now all he needed was for him to just keep that love between the two of them and stop trying to force it onto other people like Joe.

Joe promised to wait fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes, and if the guy didn't show, he could go home. So he counted.

Counted the seconds, and then the minutes, waiting and hoping to wind up alone. He had seven fingers laid out when the hostess walked over, gesturing to the table that he was sitting at. A man thanked her quietly before turning his attention onto Joe.

The guy was not what he expected.

Handsome wasn't the word for it. He was beautiful. Joe had never seen a guy like him before. Someone so pretty yet masculine at the same time. Blond hair, green eyes. Sharp jawline with a cute chin. Who the fuck thought chins could be cute?

"Joe? Hi. I'm Ben." He extended his hand after sitting down. Joe paused for the moment, taking it all in before snapping back to reality.

"Yes, hi. I'm Joe, but you already said that. Please, sit." Joe closed his eyes, breathing slowly. "You're already sitting. God, I'm so bad at this."

Ben, to his surprise, just kept on smiling. "You're fine. This is a nice place," He gestured around the restaurant.

"Wasn't my idea." Joe told him automatically.

"No? I take it your friend chose the whole 'when and where' then?"

"Rami thinks spending time alone is pretty much a sin, so he sort of wrapped me into this." Joe confessed to him. He wasn't going to sugar coat it. Wasn't going to pretend like it was his idea and that he's ready to jump for joy over the fact that Ben had showed up after all.

Joe watched the blondes movements, catching his mannerisms as he sipped from his own drink. He seemed to calm and relaxed despite sitting straight in his seat. Maybe he just had good posture or maybe that was his own way of handling his nerves.

"You can go if you want," Joe told him after a moment. "I'm sure Rami probably pimped me out or whatever to persuade you to show, but you don't have to stay here. Nobody is watching," Joe told him with a lazily shrug. "I mean, not that I saw what you looked like thats really all I need in order to get away with saying it went well. I can tell Rami and Lucy that the date went well, that we really hit it off but a second date probably isn't in the mix."

Ben cocked his head, looking more confused than anything. "Why would I want to do that?" He asked him quietly.

"Did Rami tell you anything about me?" He asked. There had to be something to get this guy to agree. Maybe it was the career he was in. The guy was almost too good lucking. Did Rami promise to put him in their next film or something like that?

"Not much, actually. I think he was hoping for me to learn more about you when we went out."

It sounded like something Rami would do, but at the same time it wasn't enough. He expected more. Expected Rami to play him up like he was the fucking Mona Lisa or something to that effect. Something that needed to be seen up close rather than just spoken about.

"Right. Of course." Joe muttered.

"Look, lets just take it slow." Ben suggested. "You obviously don't want to be here, but you're here nonetheless. Rather than acting like you're being gutted under the table, lets try to find a middle ground hmm? What do you do for work?"

It was a topic Joe didn't like to speak of but also one he loved regardless. When he mentioned that he was a director and screenwriter, most people either pretended like it was the greatest thing in the world or believed it was no big deal. He had made tons of things, working with his business parter and best friend Rami Malek as the lead actor and nearly everything they did together.

It went from making silly passion projects to big screen blockbusters. They had been nominated for awards, with both of them going home with one a time or two. Joe rambled on about his work and Ben listened contently. Joe wasn't used to people paying attention to him outside of his work place.

When he asked Ben the same question, he just said he was a businessman. He didn't sound as proud of his work as Joe had been but he also proclaimed it wasn't as fun or exciting. He didn't have to brag about his career choice because it wasn't worth bragging about.

They ordered their meal and kept the conversation going. It wasn't the worst thing Joe had ever done but he would be lying if he said he wasn't relieved when the check had come. Both men reached for it but found that it had already been paid for.

Rami, you son of a bitch.

"So, Mr. Mazzello if you had to grade this date, what would it be?" Ben asked him casually as they prepared to leave.

"I'm a writer, Ben. Not a critic. I don't rate things." Joe answered him, standing to his feet and pulling on his coat.

"Oh come on. Humor me a little." Ben requested, following in suit.

Joe rolled his eyes, thinking it over for a short moment. "B minus." He confessed.

"It gets a letter grade knocked off because this was a set up, not an actual date and the minus was added on due to the awkwardness that could not be denied."

"Ah, but the awkwardness comes from it being a set up as well as being a first date. I don't really think that counts." Ben argued as they walked out of the restaurant side by side.

"Fine, then the minus comes from the food not being perfectly cooked."

"Perhaps next time we'll go to a place of your own choosing. Somewhere you know the food will be cooked properly."

The blond suggested as they walked out the door.

Joe paused, looking to the man as his car pulled up. "What makes you think there is going to be a next time?" He questioned.

The night wasn't terrible but that didn't mean he had fun. He would still rather be locked away in his office, way from the public eye and drowning himself in his work. Rami knew this and Ben more or less got the idea of it. So why bother?

"Look, I know this isn't exactly your cup of tea. The whole dating scene and I fully understand. However, I do believe we got off on the wrong foot. The fancy restaurant that your friend chose for us. This was a set up, like you said, so really I think the best thing to do is to go out on a real date. I mean, right now you may think I am some pompous man with a fancy accent and nice hair but once you get to know me, you'd see that I am so much more than that. I'm a real prick you know and I think you should take the chance and find out on your own just how much of one."

Joe paused again, ignoring the call from his driver. "Did you just sell yourself as an asshole to me in hopes of getting a second date?"

Ben smiled brightly to him. "Piqued your interest, didn't it?"

Joe hated to admit it, but he was right.

He had people try to sell their best qualities to him, whether it be on a personal or business level. But never has he had someone try to sell themselves in a terrible light in order to impress him.

Very interesting.

"Fine." He said at last, going against his better judgement. "One date. You think you can impress me? We'll see."

He moved forward, finally acknowledging his driver. The man stepped out, coming along to open the door for him.

"Can I at least get your number?"

"Call Rami! I'm sure he'd be happy to give it to you." Joe told him, sliding into the back seat of the black car. "Until next time!" He shouted, waving him off before letting the driver close the door behind him.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

6.4K 127 28
Y/n hates her job and wants to quit, unfortunately her boss is an a$$. She makes new friends - because of her work - and maybe even finds a new love...
3.2K 172 12
George and Will are in a love-hate relationship as friends. What happens when one of them realizes there could me more to their partnership than that...
143 13 13
What happens when Harry and Louis meet on a cruise? Is one hookup all they'll do? Is this start of something new or nothing happens? Keep reading to...
3.1M 122K 47
"Why are you staring at me like that?" "Like what?" "Like you want to tear off my clothes." "And what if I do?" ~~~ Kingsley didn't believe in love...