GASOLINE ⤏ NUMBER FIVE

By ayosugaaa

" wrote a long letter to the moon one day it isn't brighter than you but I lit a small candle″ [In which Adar... More

summary+cast
adara's mixtape for a night at griddy's
epigraph
0.02| seesaw game
0.03| gotta go
0.04| the red book

0.01| life in the back

710 20 3
By ayosugaaa

Adara sat on a stool over the convenience store
counter, her head resting in her hand as she flipped another page of her book. On her left, a half-eaten bowl of ramen already cold to the touch.

Absentmindedly she reached for her strawberry smoothie loudly slurping the remains of the drink.

"We are going now live to a breaking story. Moments ago, police reported the death of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire, Reginald Hargreeves..."

Adara had finished flipping the page over, turning her head towards the small screen displayed over the counter, the picture of Sir Reginald Hargreeves displayed. It took her a few seconds to process the information

"Father..."

A faint whisper escaped her lips, as she sat frozen on the stool, as information about Reginald Hargreeves were recited by the news anchor, a picture popped up displaying seven young kids all dressed in uniform and a domino mask. Hargreeve's greatest accomplishment 'The Umbrella Academy'.

And Adara had happened to be a part of it.

Quickly grabbing her things Adara made way for the streets, her food left forgotten and her book crumpled into her backpack.

Her siblings immediately appeared in her thoughts.

Had they heard the news?

Luther had been up in the moon for four years.

Diego had been living the life of a vigilante occasionally visiting her, in her relocated boarding school.

Allison, Adara knew only about what magazines and interviews Allison spoke to, only knowing she was in a custody battle for her daughter.

Klaus, was probably high in some alley, when somewhat sane he'd come looking for her as well.

Five, was still nowhere to be found even after seventeen years, there has been no clue as to what might've happened to him.

Ben, he was dead. Although she always had a suspicion that Ben hangs around Klaus the only person capable of seeing him.

Vanya, she hadn't spoken to her since she had published her autobiography exposing most of the secrets within the family.

And Adara, she was still stuck in the body of a fifteen-year-old, for about seventeen years recently sent to a boarding school by Reginald Hargreeves himself.

Years after they rose to fame as the young crime-fighting superheroes, the estranged Hargreeves siblings are to come together to mark their father's death.

"Consent?" Adara sneered, "My dad is dead the only guardian under my emergency list, and you're telling me I can't go to his funeral?" She slammed her palms on the receptionist's table.

The receptionist composed herself, sitting up straighter in her seat. "Unfortunately we can not let you off school grounds unless it is one the school's open door day, or a guardian or relative physically come to sign you out for the time being."

Sneering, Adara kicked her backpack, "Unbelievable." She turned back towards the receptionist. "Listen here, if you don't let me out I will burn this place to the ground-"

The hand used to point at the bewildered receptionist was tugged downwards.

"I come to get you and the first thing I hear from you is threats?"

Adara looked up sheepishly, as Diego looked at her amused.

She laughed nervously, scratching the back of her neck, bending down to grab her pack. "Please tell me you're getting me out of this hell hole."

"I guess today is your lucky day then." He winked turning towards the secretary. "I'm Diego Hargreeves, Adara's older brother were do I sign the release forms?"

The secretary rapidly gave him the sign off forms, still shaken from Adaras outburst and the sight of numerous knives in Diego's uniform.

After all the release forms were signed, Diego and Adara made their way to his car. Silence came upon them from not seeing each other in a while.

Diego glanced towards his sister, "How you holding up, I mean you spent the most time with the old man due to your circumstances."

Adara stayed silent. What exactly should she be feeling?

"I don't know, I hate him for sending me to this stupid boarding school, for all the training I've been through, I blame him for me still being a fifteen-year-old girl, when I could go out and get wasted."

Diego had let her rant, "You know," she started, taking a bite of a red vine. "On a night like tonight you'd probably be up there," she pointed to a random rooftop. "Trying to stop crime..." She paused for a second. "You didn't like Dad, but even you have to admit sometimes he introduced us to things we've become passionate about."

"It didn't always work, but he tried."

Diego let out a breath, parking the car as he grabbed a suitcase. " You know, I hate how wise you get, cause you end up speaking some truth."

Adara smirked, "You love it."

"Wow, this place always gives me some sort of vibe," Adara stated as they walked through the back door.

Diego frowned and tilted his head to the side. "What kind of vibe?"

She shrugged, stepping into the kitchen towards the fridge. "I don't know, spooky. I guess." She then looked back towards him. "It must be because the mansion is old as hell, or cause Dad died in it, either or."

Diego sardonically smiled, "Great, well I'll be up in my room."

"Thanks, Diego."

He ruffled her hair as he passed her, "Don't mention it squirt."

She pouted swatting his hand away, "I'm the same age, jerk."

He clicked his tongue, "I don't know about that." He flicked his wrist, as he headed towards the door.

She was going to head to the kitchen when she heard Diego's annoyed tone. "What is she doing here."

"You don't belong here, not after you did." He referred to her book and the information she leaked about the family.

From the doorway kitchen, she watched as Diego walked away not sparing a glance back at Vanya. Allison looked back annoyed.

"You're seriously gonna do this today?" Diego kept walking up the stairs. "Way to wear for the occasion by the way."

"Yeah, at least I'm wearing black."

Adara just rolled her eyes as she stood in the middle of the hallway, still going unnoticed.

Vanya looked towards Allison, "You know, maybe he's right and I shouldn't-"

"Forget about him." Allison cut her off. "I'm glad you're here."

"So am I," Adara spoke up grabbing the attention from the awkward silence.

"Adara." Allison smiled pulling the girl into a hug. "Look at you," she scrunched her nose. "Is that a school uniform?"

Adara looked at her outfit. "Yeah, dad kinda shipped me off a year and a half ago." She pulled at the hem of her skirt.

Allison nodded unconvincingly nodding. "You look-"

"Like a fifteen-year-old." Adara cut her off. "It's been seventeen years Allison I have not aged one bit since Number freaking Five disappeared."

"Guess Dad was done raising children and had enough." She huffed.

"Adara." Vanya meekly called her.

"What?"

Vanya pointed towards her, "Your fuming."

Adara furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, till Allison pointed at her skirt the ridges burning. "Oh." She looked at it nonchalantly, casually patting it down.

"Sorry I got heated." She then turned to Vanya. "Anyway ignore Diego he's being his brooding self. "Its good to see you, Vanya."

Adara glanced at her before making her way to her room. She had forgotten how big the house was, and how lonely empty and quiet it was. The sounds of yelling, grunting and footsteps diminished as the Hargreeve children grew older, and left one by one.

Adara and Luther the only remaining. One due to his loyalty. And the other, because she physically remained fifteen. Slowly they two left the house, one for the moon and the other boarding school.

"Pogo." Adara smiled at their butler. "Long time no see."

"Ms. Adara, its good to see you." They hugged, Adara, smiling at the familiarity.

She gave him a refreshing smile, her eyes closing into crescents. Excusing herself she made it to her room.

Yellow decorated the walls, as her bookshelf was stacked with books and music albums. Her bed made, neat and untouched not a single speck of dust.

"Mom must've cleaned the rooms daily." She muttered to herself, gently laying down.

The home didn't feel like home, but it was better than sharing a room with a foreign Scottish girl.

"Is that who I think it is?" A smile automatically made its way to her face, as she jumped off the bed.

"Klaus!" The older man chuckled as he swayed them around.

He pulled her away hand still on her shoulder examining her. "Wow look at you. Preppy I see."

"Stupid uniform, from boarding school." She shrugged.

"You?" He pointed towards her. "Going to school, now that is unheard of."

"Trust me wasn't my choice." She shook her head, grabbing his wrist she examined his label.

"Rehab huh," she raised her eyebrow at him. "Oh, Klaus, I'm surprised you haven't kicked the bucket sooner than dad."

"Oh please." He flicked his wrist. "Death ain't got nothing on me." He then jammed his thumb to the door.

"Number One said to get everyone to the living room. Something about dad's service."

Adara nodded, "Yeah just let me change real quick."

"See you there kid."

She watched Klaus prance out of the room.

Huffing she went to her closet, "I'm not a kid."

Adara sat at the edge of the sofa with Vanya, it felt overwhelming having everyone in the same room, beside five and ben.

"What on earth are you wearing?" Diego laughed as soon as he stepped into the room. "I mean I know this house is like a prison, but that a little too much."

Adara looked at him offended, and then towards her orange jumpsuit. "For your information wanna be Nightwing," she gestured to herself. "This is fashion."

"Sure."

Another pause fell around the room, Diego glanced out the window, Allison took a sip of her whiskey avoiding eye contact.

Vanya sat on the sofa her knuckled brushing her thigh. Glasses and liquid were heard as Klaus fixed himself a drink.

Finally, Luther rose up, "Um... I think we should get this started." He had a blank look as he spoke.

"So I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown."

Adara glanced back at Klaus, the man having a cigarette in his mouth catching her eyes, he winked while she shook her head, turning back to Luther.

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison questioned.

Luther nodded, "You know, under the oak tree. We used to do that all the time." He looked at his siblings. "None, if you ever did that."

"You forget you were his favorite out of all eight right?" Adara looked at him with a scornful smile.

"Will there be refreshments?" Klaus waltz into the seating area. "Tea? Scones?" He looks towards Vanya. "Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

"What? No. And put that out. Dad didn't allow smoking in here." Luther fired back.

"Dad is not here if you haven't noticed." Adara pointed.

"The rules still stay." Luther pointed at her.

Allison then leaned forward, "Is that my skirt?"

"What?"Klaus looked confused before remembering the article of clothing. "Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room."

He walked into the middle to model it out. "It's a little dated I know, but It's very breathy on the bits."

"If I am being one hundred percent honest, I think Klaus rocks it with a very carefree style." Adara nodded her head in approval.

"Looks, good brother." She gave him a thumbs up.

Luther sighed in annoyance. "Listen up. Still, some important things we need to discuss, all right?"

Diego spoke up for the first time, "Like what?"

"Like the way he died."

Diego ducked his head, frustrated, "And here we go."

Vanya looked at Luther as Klaus sat down. "I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack."

Adara decided to zone out the conversation, instead, she focused on the drink in Klaus's hand. The flames of the fire flickered as she focused on the alcoholic drink in desire.

Klaus noticing, inconspicuously handed her the drink as Diego and Luther argued. Adara appreciatively took the drink gulping it down.

"He thinks one of us killed Dad."

Wincing as they alcohol ran down her throat, Adara looked at Luther hurt, as he would think his siblings the cause of their father's death.

"You do." Klaus confirmed.

Vanya looked at Luther a look as if someone kicked her puppy. "How could you think that?"

"Great job Luther, Way to lead." Diego sarcastically leaned towards Luther before exiting the room.

"That's not what I'm saying." Luther defended.

Klause got up and pointed at Luther with his cigarette, "Your crazy man. You're crazy."

"I'm not finished." He looked astonished as Adara chugged the whole glass. "Adara, put that down you aren't-"

Adara sat up, walking away, "I am old enough, you know I was born on the same freaking day as you all, so Luther shut the hell up, and keep your stupid conspiracies to yourself."

The flames of the fireplace grew larger as they furiously nipped the air.

"Stop treating me like a god damn child."

Klaus followed her, "Ok, sorry I'm just gonna go murder Mom. Be right back."

"That's not what I was saying."

"Well, apparently I'm not old enough to drink but, good news, " She smiled sardonically. "I am old enough for murder."

"I didn't-"

Luther's voice was cut off, as the Hargreeves children filed out.

Home sweet home.

Anyways hope you enjoy the first chapter. I aged up Five to fifteen because it makes some things go easier. So nothing major changes other than instead of thirteen he is fifteen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 2.5K 21
𝒆𝒖𝒏𝒐𝒊𝒂 ━━ (n.) a pure and well-balanced mind, ❛ beautiful thinking ❜ 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 ━ 1963, five hargreeves travels back...
1.3M 36.5K 35
"hey, that's one badass stapler." ✔️ number five fanfiction umbrella academy season one [lowercase intended] cover by @ssolarsystems
1.8M 50.6K 35
UMBRA ❪ season one ❫ // the darkest part of a shadow COMPLETE five hargreeves x fem!reader written by funkyenderboy
219K 4.7K 64
[ALL SEASONS COMPLETED] "I lied to you at a time where lying shouldn't have even been an option. But I was desperate. So when The Handler offered me...