Amaranth (Harry Potter Fan Fi...

By UnicornofHogwarts

Julia Smith finds out that she is a witch and that she will be going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wiz... More

Chapter 1: The Mysterious Letter
Chapter 2: Magic and Wizards
Chapter 3: Potters, Weasleys and Quidditch
Chapter 4: "Who's your cousin?"
Chapter 5: Friends and Family
Chapter 6: Diagon Alley
Chapter 7: Hogwarts
Chapter 8: Selena Slytherin
Chapter 9: Classes Begin!
Chapter 10: Fun at Hogwarts
Chapter 11: October Fun!
Chapter 12: Selena's Secret
Chapter 14: Vilaina
Chapter 15: It All Starts
Chapter 16: Into the Night: Part 1
Chapter 17: Into the Night: Part 2
Chapter 18: The Plan
Chapter 19: Hogwarts Trek
Chapter 20: The Potion
Chapter 21: Sorrow
Chapter 22: Summer Magic

Chapter 13: Halloween!

783 22 23
By UnicornofHogwarts

Julia's POV:

“Because the Periculosi Amaranthi has reached Hogwarts.”

“What,” I ask Selena in surprise, “How do you know?”

“I'll show you.” she says and takes my hand.

Suddenly by the door I can see a small vine curling around the frame. It hasn't gotten far, but it will soon.

“Do you think I'll get sick?” I ask her.

“No,” she says, “I did some tests using a strand of your hair and you seem to be immune to it like Muggle born students because, since you didn't grow up around magic, you wouldn't have the protection around your organs.”

“But Rose and my other friends, they'll all get sick, won't they?” I ask her.

“I'm afraid so.” she says sadly.

“We need help.” I tell her, “But being who we are, we’ll need help. Since, an 11 year old girl and a ghost can't exactly defeat a deadly vine that is threatening a whole castle, by themselves. I know exactly who can help us.” I tell her.

“Who?” she asks me.

“Hermione.”

We write a letter to Hermione and send it, but unfortunately Rose told me that Hermione is out of the country on a trip with Harry, Ginny, Ron, my parents and Jake, so we will probably not here back from her until they get back which is in two weeks.

Halloween is approaching and although I am very worried about the impending doom of the Periculosi Amaranthi, I can't help but be excited. Rose and my other friends seem to notice that I am not completely excited for Halloween and try to cheer me up in the few days before Halloween. For their sakes, I try to be happy and when Halloween arrives and I wipe my mind clear of the problem and focus on being happy with my friends.

Rose and I got a shipment from George and Hermione. When we opened it we were excited to see that they had provided us with complete costumes. Rose's dragon costume came with a potion that her mother had made her. After she drinks it, she will be able to breathe out fire. Her dragon costume looks a lot like a dragon and George supplied her with a potion that will make her face have scales on it!

My fairy costume is incredible. I will be using a simple dress as my costume, but the most incredible part is the part that Hermione supplied me with. She made me a potion that will make me grow actual fairy wings, so that I will be able to fly. George gave me a bottle that I will be able to pour over myself that will make me glitter.

Our costumes are very cool and I am so glad that we got help from George and Hermione!

The days go by and soon Halloween is here. We get out of classes early so that we can get ready for the Halloween costume party.

Rose and I bring our costumes to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Selena told me that she would talk Myrtle into letting us use the room without any interruptions. I quickly pull on the elegant yet simple dress that Selena let me borrow from her, well actually take, since she no longer has any use for it! It is light yellow, blue, and pink and very pretty. It flows around me as I put it on. It goes down to my knees. I guess it was for Selena when she was younger, but she must have enchanted it to fit me. I put on the silver slippers that Hermione sent along. Rose has put on her costume and looks really wicked.

We finish putting on our costumes and look at each other. I can't believe that the potions worked! Rose has scales all over her face and her eyes are bright red instead of their normal blue. I am fluttering a few feet above the ground and my skin sparkles magically. We laugh and I land on the ground. Then we walk arm and arm towards the Great Hall. I wonder what type of foods there will be!

When we get in the hall everyone turns around and looks at us as Rose breaths fire and I fly around the hall using my amazing wings. I hear cheers and look down to see Albus and Scorpius. Scorpius is dressed in normal Muggle clothes while Albus has fangs and a cape on. I swoop down and land beside them.

“You like the costume then?” I ask them while spinning around.

“You look wonderful cousin.” Scorpius says smiling.

“Thank you Scorpius, but what are you supposed to be?” I ask him raising my eyebrows.

“Isn't it obvious? Albus said it was obvious. I'm a Muggle!” he says frowning at his best friend who is looking the other way with a look of innocence on his face.

“It is now that I look at you,” I say to him to prevent Albus from getting yelled at, “Why don't w-”

Then Vilaina comes up to us with a nasty sneer on her face and says, interrupting me, “Well isn't it the Muggle, the Vampire and the silly little fairy. Have you lost your lizard?”

She is dressed as what I believe is a Hawaiian dancer, but her leaf skirt is very short and she is wearing coconuts over her chest...something that would usually not be school appropriate. Her face has lots of makeup on it and her hair is dyed different colors. If it weren't for the makeup and overly short skirt, she would actually look quite nice. What she said is true, I haven't seen Rose since I landed here...I'll have to go look for her after I finish here.

“No we haven't lost Rose; she just went to get something to eat.” I say.

“Why were you wondering anyway?” Albus asks her quite rudely.

“I just was wondering where the little Weasel had gotten to...you know the saying 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer.” she says with a sneer and spins away.

That was totally uncalled for. First of all, she just called my best friend a Weasel. Secondly, she just called us her enemies, which no first year should have. And thirdly, she insulted our costumes.

She really needs an attitude change.

I walk away with Albus and Scorpius, determined to not let Vilaina ruin my Halloween. I see several of my friends walking around. Alice and Loopy are matching as a unicorn and a centaur. Amanda is a wood elf, while James and Roxy have dyed their hair red and are the Weasley twins and are being very funny.

I move through the crowd, trying to find my red haired best friend, which is hard because there are so many of them. Finally, I decide to look for her from the air and flutter high in the air looking for my dragon-like friend.

I spot her and Scorpius sitting at the edge of the Great Hall, apparently in a big discussion. I decide to not interrupt them and instead try to find another one of my friends.

Finding no one to talk to, I swoop down and look on the ground. Vilaina walks up to me.

“Can't find your little friends can you,” she asks meanly, but I see something glittering in her eye.

She sighs and then says uncharacteristically, “I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that, that was rude....”

Suddenly she brushes past me, not impolitely, just brushes past me and runs out of the Great Hall.

Why would Vilaina be leaving? I see her run down the hallway and up the stairs and I carefully follow her, making sure she doesn't see me.

Vilaina doesn't usually run, she faces challenges, this isn't like her. I follow her up the stairs until she finally reaches the Astronomy Tower. I have only been here a few times and tonight it is cold, since it is snowing again.

As I walk up to the tower, I see her sitting huddled in a corner, with her face in her hands. She appears to be crying. Even though she is a mean person, she shouldn't be crying, so I go over to her and sit down next to her.

“Why are you here?” she asks and her voice is dull.

“Why are you crying? What you said downstairs was the nicest thing you've ever said to me, why did you say that? And now I want to comfort you, no one, even the meanest of people, deserve to be sad.” I say to her.

“Why do you want to comfort me? After all the things I've done.” she whispers, her face still in her hands.

“There is a saying that says ‘treat people the way that you want to be treated.’ I'm just following it.” I say to her.

She sniffles and nods her head in understanding. She finally sits up and her face surprises me. Now I know why she wears all that makeup. Now I know why.

Vilaina's face is covered in scars and her eyes have shadows under them.

“Vilaina, what happened to you?” I ask her.

She sniffles again and stares me in the eyes.

“I'll tell you, because I want to start over. I don't want to be bossed around anymore by her anymore. I want to be a person, I would like to be friends with.” she says which confuses me, who has been bossing her around?

Author's Note: It isn't that long...and I'm very sorry the wait was so long! I will hopefully update sometime soon! :) Hope you enjoy it and please vote, comment and fan!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.3K 783 41
"You know what happens when stars collide? They make a black hole. That's us. And we will suck everyone into nothingness until there is nothing left...
222K 9.4K 130
Iris Rosier always believed she was the odd one out. She didn't share her family's beliefs and constantly felt as though she was different from them...
187K 7.2K 23
Severus begins to recieve letter from a depressed student. Who she is, he does not know. Does he write back to her, and saves her life? Or does he re...
12.7K 381 20
(book 1) (completed) Hermione Jean Granger had always wondered why strange things happened around her. Despite her many theories, she was not expecti...