Mine (Published in eBook) Ama...

Par BethanyShayPorteous

FIRST FOUR SAMPLE CHAPTERS ONLY. www.bethanyshayporteous.com www.facebook.com/BethanyShayPorteous For most wo... Plus

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISH IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED IN EBOOK
PUBLISHED N EBOOK

Chapter Two

42.7K 1.2K 140
Par BethanyShayPorteous

www.bethanyshayporteous.com

www.facebook.com/BethanyShayPorteous

Chapter Two

It was strange to be waking up in my bed, the bed I hadn't been in for two years. I had to admit it was comfier than my dorm bed. My eyes were sore as I rubbed them, trying to get the sleep from them. I hadn't slept much at all last night, it had been raining hard and my mind had been running in overdrive from the dinner I'd had with my brother and father.

Brennan and I spoke but dad hadn't entered into much of the conversation, and when he did, they were mostly one word answers. Now I was suspicious, why ask me to come back if he was just going to treat me as if I had never left? This was definitely not a trip for reconciliation. He wants me for something, I just know it.

It was going to be so weird meeting Alpha Dean for the first time. I had remembered Emily always telling me about him, how handsome he was and how young he was to be an Alpha. She had never been quite sure if pack life was for her though and sometimes I believed she was pressured by both her family and Alpha Dean into going back home regularly. I was interested to see this wolf in person and not just from a picture on her phone.

Checking my phone there was nothing, not even from Ella. I thought she would have at least texted me about her Alpha visiting my pack. She was probably busy with her family though so I left it alone, putting my phone down and straining my ears to hear what was going on within the house.

I could hear clattering in the kitchen and nice smells wafting into my room. Brennan had mentioned something about Beta Phillip's wife coming over to cook the Thanksgiving dinner. The thought sent renewed irritation through me. I had forgotten all about Polly and her incessant need to be at my father's beck and call.

"She's disgusting," my wolf muttered. "How can she show her face to her mate?"

I sat up when someone knocked on my door and called out for them to come in. Brennan poked his head in with a grin.

"Want to go for a run?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, diving out of bed. My wolf woke instantly just to the word and I didn't even bother getting changed out of my pyjamas, I'd have to take my clothes off anyway. "Let's go, I'm dying to stretch and my wolf has been clawing my mind since I flew out of Boston."

"Great! Some of the other wolves are already out running; you know your pack link will open right?" He quirked a brow at me and I nodded. "People are...a little offended you shut it off when you left."

"Let them be offended," I shrugged. "None of them stood up for me, I have done nothing wrong with distancing myself from this place."

"You know if they stood up for you it would have been seen as a challenge for dads position right?" Brennan's voice was full of defense and I shook my head.

"Brennan, I'm not mad at you. I never will be, okay?" I gestured out toward the hall from my room. "Ready to run?"

"Yes! Running! Oh hurry up; I need to run so badly!" My wolf was sending a flurry of emotions through me now but the most prominent was excitement. She wanted to get out and run with her pack mates that she hadn't seen for two years.

I followed Brennan from the house, avoiding the kitchen so I didn't need to speak to Beta Phillip's wife, Polly. She'd tried playing mom after my real mom's death and it had not ended well at all.

Stepping onto the front porch I breathed in the air. It still smelt like rain and that smell was mingled with the nature around us. It was a heady scent and it made me dizzy. My eyes flashed open as my wolf came forward and I could feel the amber glow. Letting out a carefree laugh I dove off the porch, my body contorting and twisting mid-air as my clothes shredded and fur sprouted from my skin. I felt my human side being pushed to the back as my wolf came to the forefront. She was in control now.

"Let's run!" She told me, taking off at a crazy sprint into the forest. I heard Brennan call out after me before I felt the ground tremor as his shift took place. My mind was reopening to the pack and I could feel the presence of the other wolves.

Brennan's brown wolf suddenly appeared next to me, nudging my side roughly with his nose before he took off ahead of me. My wolf yipped in playful delight and took off after him, her brain a frantic bubble of excited energy.

We chased Brennan through the territory, diving over rocks, running through rivers. It felt so good to run on familiar ground, I didn't have to have my guard up as much as I did back in Providence. My wolf and I could truly let loose.

A couple of other wolves joined us; I recognized them to be Nate and Henry, Brennan's two closest friends.

"Welcome back Charlotte," Nate said through the mind link. "We've missed your gorgeous face around here."

"Don't flirt with my sister Nate," Brennan growled.

Nate let out a wolfish laugh before nudging me sideways, pushing me down a new path. It sloped and we ran faster. My wolf loved it, she revelled in the feeling of freedom, and we ran so fast our paws hardly touched the ground. It was almost as if we were flying.

"First one to the rock pool at the creek wins!" I said excitedly. The pace really picked up then. Present a challenge to a wolf and they'll take it. I darted under branches and jumped over fallen logs. Breathing was becoming harder but I pushed on, wanting to win the challenge I had presented. The ground evened out and I broke out into a small clearing, stopping quickly right beside the rock pool.

I won.

Nate then flew out of the thick forest, his honey colored coat a blur as he ran straight into the lake. He never knew when to slow down. Brennan and Henry ran out together, the two of them pushing to be just a nose in front. Henry and Brennan stopped just in time, breathing heavily before looking over at me.

I sat by the rock pool proudly, my wolf puffing out her chest in victory. I pranced over to a dripping wet Nate, grinning. "Winner, winner, chicken dinner," I purred into his ear, before promptly nipping him on his shoulder.

"You tell me not to flirt with your sister Brennan and she gets to do that?" Nate had a grin in his voice and I rolled my eyes before heading over to the lake for a drink, ignoring the arguing boys in my head.

Peering over at the clear water I caught a glimpse of my wolf. I had to admit I loved her appearance; she was one of the most attractive looking wolves in our pack. Her entire coat was a golden honey color, not a mark in sight. Until you reached her face, which was entirely white, muzzle, ears – everything.

I'd never seen another wolf with the same kind of markings.

"I know, I'm gorgeous, but I want to play some more!" She took a gulp of water and I allowed her to push me to the back of her mind again. In general my wolf was very playful; she couldn't be serious and loved a tussle.

We all stayed in the clearing for ages, play fighting and hunting. It was a brilliant morning and for some short time the sun came out and we all lay underneath it, stretching our limbs in a relaxed state.

"What is that smell?" Brennan asked, his wolf sitting up and pointing his nose in the air. "That's not a Wyoming wolf and it's not a rogue."

"I smell it," I murmured, breathing deeply. The smell was amazing; it made my mind go cloudy. "It smells great, that has to be someone cooking biscuits or something."

"It smells like an uninvited wolf!" Nate growled, standing upright, his teeth bared.

"Henry get Charlotte back to the house, I'm contacting a patroller." Brennan's voice had a tone of urgency and I suddenly felt scared myself. I did as I was told, I wasn't going to be stupid and push Brennan if he was distressed.

We ran back to the house, though most of it was uphill seeing as we had come so far. By the time we broke out into the pack base my heart was thumping and Henry turned and left me to go back. I quickly ran around the back, yanking the old blanket off the porch chair and shifting.

My skin tingled and my bones contorted as my human form took place. I quickly covered my naked form and opened the back door, which sadly took me through the kitchen.

"Charlie!" Polly cried when she saw me. "Are you okay? Your father just left to go help Brennan; he says there was another pack wolf on the territory."

"I'm sure it's fine," I told her, my eyes gazing around the food filled kitchen. "I'm going to get dressed." I didn't linger, I couldn't stand Polly and I hated it when she used the name my mother used to call me. I went upstairs and opted for a shower, eager for a moment to relive my perfect morning.

I loved running with the boys, especially Nate. Nate and I had a history, everyone thought we would have been mates when we turned eighteen; we were so close as children. It turned out though; he belonged to someone else, which was fine. I wasn't crushed or anything. He knew how to have a good time and he didn't mind how overactive my wolf was when she was let out. A lot of people couldn't handle her playfulness.

Stepping out of the shower I unpinned my hair and threw on a pair of yoga pants and a loose long sleeved shirt. I knew I couldn't avoid Polly all day so I reluctantly made my way downstairs and toward the kitchen where she would be.

I slid onto a stool as she stirred something on the stove. She knew I was here; you couldn't really sneak up on a wolf.

"How have you been Charlie?" She asked as she stirred and my nerves grated as she called me what my mother used to. The name I disallowed everyone to call me.

"I've been great, and it's still Charlotte, just in case you forgot."

She sighed and stopped stirring, turning to face me. Her blonde hair was perfectly bunned and my eye twitched at her perfectly applied makeup. How she and my mother were ever best friends was a mystery to me. She was a climber and spent more time in the Alpha house then she did her own. I always speculated she had a thing for my dad.

"I'm sorry, Charlotte. How has college been?"

"Fine," I said simply. "How has playing house in my mother's absence been?"

She rolled her eyes at me and set down her spoon. "I'm not starting up any old battles with you Charlotte. You can try all you want but I'm not entering into it."

"How big of you," I retorted.

She laughed and shook her head, picking up a large knife and slicing vegetables. "Your tongue always gets you in trouble Charlotte."

"Mom!" A voice called out as the front door opened. My brow furrowed as I leant back in my stool and looked down the hall, spotting Mary with her newly cropped locks, dressed in a vibrant red knee length coat with the biggest black buttons I had ever seen.

"Mary?" I asked in surprise. Gone was the girl in muddy sneakers and hooded jumpers. This Mary looked like she walked straight out of a Pinterest photo or a fashion magazine.

"Charlotte!" She smiled widely at me, walking down the hall. "How have you been?"

"Great!" I was genuinely excited to see her; she had been my best friend all through school. "How about you?"

"Really good!"

"Thank the Goddess," Polly whispered as the backdoor opened. Brennan came in along with Beta Phillip and my father. They were all unscathed, just really wet and in need of new clothing. "Who was out there?"

"We don't know," my father ground out. "The rain picked up again and we lost the scent."

"We have more wolves on border patrol and everyone has been banned from going more than two miles into the territory." Brennan shook his head and flecks of water hit everyone, Mary growled loudly as he wet her coat.

"We're all going to shower up," my father announced. He briefly looked at me before leaving the kitchen, followed by a grinning Brennan who winked at me.

Beta Phillip headed home for a quick shower so I took Mary to the lounge room, hoping to press her as to why I was brought back home.

"Trust me; I'm just in the dark as you are. I was told, no, I was ordered to come home. I think it's something to do with the visiting Alpha from Michigan. Or it could be because of all that drama between Oregon and Idaho. Maybe your dad just wants his pack safe under one roof until it's all over." Mary removed her coat and hung it delicately on the coat rack. "You know she's taking Idaho to trial?"

"Who?" I asked.

"That girl Evelyn, the half-breed that lived in Idaho and then met her mate in Oregon, she accused them of all kinds of stuff and now there's huge tension and Idaho's been pushing for your dad to get involved."

"Wow, I really need to check in on the wolf world more often."

"No shit," she scoffed. "Like in a few days there's a massive hearing with the High Council in Idaho."

"Must be true if she's willing to take it that far," I murmured thoughtfully.

"I guess we'll find out in a few days. So, enough of the boring stuff," she said nudging my arm. "Still mateless?"

"Still."

"Well at least we can both be werewolf spinsters," she laughed and rested her head back against the couch. The room was quiet and I closed my eyes, feeling tension growing. "You never called or emailed Charlotte," she whispered.

"I know, and I'm sorry." My voice was weak and pathetic, even to my ears. I felt bad but at the time I needed to cut off all ties from this place. I was hurt and scared.

"I know why, I just – maybe now we could email each other or something. Catch up for a drink every now and then." Her eyes flashed at me hopefully and I smiled, nodding softly.

"Sure Mary."

My father came downstairs, dried and dressed. He walked straight past us and toward the kitchen and I shook my head, sighing.

"I need to know why I've been brought back here," I whispered to Mary. "Something is so off, I can feel it."

"I'm sure if something is up, all will be revealed before you go back to Brown. For now let's feast on good food and run our wolves till our hearts content!" She put an arm around my shoulders and gave them a squeeze. "It's great to see you again Charlotte."

"Ditto," I said with a small smile.

The rest of the day was dull and I ended up having to go peel vegetables in the kitchen because there was nothing else to do. It was fun to watch Polly struggle through my mother's cookbook though.

The dinner was just as I expected it would be. My father talked to everyone besides me and the food was mediocre. We did the stereotypical speeches of what we were thankful for. Mary said Kim Kardashian and spray tanning. Brennan said food – as was expected. Polly, being the giant suck up she is, said she was thankful for the wonderful Alpha we have. I swore I saw Beta Phillip roll his eyes. Dad said he was thankful for the brilliant meal Polly had prepared. Yuck.

"What are you thankful for Charlotte?" Brennan asked me.

"What are we thankful for Charlotte?" My wolf asked me.

"Colleges that are a plane ride away?" I suggested.

"I think you should just say something disgustingly sentimental and get them all off your back," my wolf muttered.

Everyone was staring at me while I thought.

"I'm thankful for all the ramen noodles that have gotten me through the last two years," I said proudly.

By the time we had moved to having coffee in the lounge conversation had shifted to the arrival of Alpha Dean from Michigan. I was still confused as to why such a powerful and high ranking pack was coming to visit the little old Wyoming pack.

"You were friends with his mate, right Charlotte?" Mary asked. "What was her name?"

"Emily," I murmured as sadness washed over me.

"Yes well, he's staying for a few days with his Gamma," my father said as he set down his mug. "Everyone needs to be on their best behavior." He looked directly at me when he said that and I bit my tongue so hard to stop me from snapping that I tasted blood.

"Why's he coming?" Mary asked.

"That's between me and him," my father replied stiffly.

I clicked my tongue and set down my cup. "Well I'm off to bed, thanks for dinner Polly." I walked to the doorway of the room, stopping briefly. "Happy Thanksgiving."

The words were chorused back to me, and every voice was there besides my father. Shaking my head I made my way upstairs, blocking out their continued conversation as I entered my room and threw myself down onto my bed.

My father was being very tight lipped about Alpha Dean's impending arrival and I wasn't totally sure why. I wasn't even sure why Alpha Dean had agreed to come here, there was no point in allying with us, Wyoming would never be as large as the Michigan pack and we couldn't really offer much in return for an alliance.

Looking over at my nightstand I smiled at the old photo of my mother. She was so beautiful; you could understand why my father went a little nuts when he lost her. Running my hand over the photo I was surprised to find my eyes were stinging. Blinking quickly I kissed the photo, setting it back down.

"Happy Thanksgiving Mama."

"Yo Charlotte, you have to wake up!" Brennan was right in my ear and I groaned angrily as I peeked my eyes open, daring to glance at the time on my phone.

"Brennan," I croaked. "It's six thirty."

"Alpha Dean arrives at ten and dad wants you dressed and presentable. He also wants you to set up the two guest rooms and then help Polly clean the house." Brennan pulled my blankets from the bed. "Don't mess with him today. He's in a right mood."

"Goddess!" I growled in annoyance, dragging myself from the bed. I couldn't wait to leave tomorrow, this was a joke. I pulled on a sweater over my shirt and trudged downstairs to see various pack members vacuuming and dusting. I walked down to the kitchen to get a coffee and found Polly polishing every available surface.

"Morning Charlotte," she said cheerfully. "Sorry for the early wakeup call but there's a lot to do today. Your father wants you to set up-"

"The guest bedrooms, and then make myself look presentable, Brennan told me." I walked over to the coffee machine and growled at the empty jug. "Guess I'll be missing that this morning."

"The Alpha, the Gamma and the Gamma's mate are attending this little gathering. We need two sets of towels in the first guest room, plus toiletries and then of course one set of towels for the Alpha and the necessities. I believe the storage cupboard in the garage has everything you'll need." Polly pulled open the dishwasher and I watched as steam flew out.

How was everyone so wide awake?

"How long is he here for?" I asked, wondering if dad understood I was leaving tomorrow.

"However long it takes for them to discuss what Alpha Dean has come here to discuss." Polly turned to face me. "Get a move on!"

I rolled my eyes but did as I was told, taking a box and heading toward the garage. Finding the old storage cabinet I took out mini shampoo and conditioner bottles, soap, and shaving cream – all the essentials. The towels would be inside. I groaned internally at the thought of having to dress the two king beds in the guest rooms.

I went into the first room, which was opposite my own. Alpha Dean would stay in here because it was the biggest and it connected to the bathroom. I struggled with the linen, growling every time the sheet popped back off when I tried to stretch it over the corners.

Once the stupid bed was made I set a neat pile of towels on the end before placing the toiletries kit on top. Who didn't travel with their own though? I would never use anyone else's crappy shampoos if I didn't have to.

I set up the Gamma's room, only adding the two sets of each. I briefly wondered if the Alpha hated traveling with another couple, always a one and never a pair.

I skipped downstairs, my stomach growling. I didn't care if we were cleaning, I needed to eat something. Thankfully Polly was no longer lingering in here so I was able to scrounge up a couple slices of toast. I still wanted coffee but the kitchen was so clean I was too scared to touch anything else. I was careful to wipe up my crumbs and put away my mess.

At that moment Polly walked in carrying a bunch of bags with two Omegas trailing after her.

"Cooking again?" I asked, depressed I'd have another night of crap food.

"Yes I am. Charlotte you need to go shower and get dressed, I've laid out the outfit your father wants you to wear and-"

"Say what now?" I asked, disbelief coloring my tone. "Who the hell do you think you are?"

"Charlotte!" Brennan was behind me, looking flustered. "Just wear the damn dress."

I looked at him in irritation before huffing and storming from the kitchen. Who the hell was she to lay out an outfit and who the hell was my dad, telling me to wear something he approved of? This place was as stupid as I remembered it was.

I wasn't surprised at the conservative dress I found on my bed. It was baby pink and not my taste at all; who did he even get this off?

Glancing at my clock I noticed it was about nine so I went and showered, grudgingly, before having to slide into that pink monstrosity. It was knee length and had about a billion tricky buttons to do up at the back; I nearly tore it in half trying to do it up. It covered my chest and collarbones but thankfully it wasn't long sleeved, I would have torn them off.

I pinned up my hair and just to humor my father I applied a light coat of makeup. I shook my head at the girl I saw before me. She looked like a Stepford wife.

"Yeah we need to leave," my wolf told me, her voice laced in disgust as she took in my attire.

"Thank the Goddess I chose to leave tomorrow, imagine if I'd stayed a week."

"I'd disown you if you had to keep dressing like that."

"Thanks," I said dryly.

"Charlotte," Brennan called outside my door. "Dad wants you downstairs; the Alpha is fifteen minutes away." Sighing I shook my head, wondering how within two days I was sucked back into werewolf life. The life I had left two years ago and hadn't intended on coming back to. "Charlotte?"

"I'm coming!" I called out. Picking up the pearls from the dresser I slipped them on, running my hands over the delicate piece of jewellery. They had been my mothers and Polly had tried very hard to get her little hands on them. I pulled on the white wedges that had been placed by my bed before deciding to get downstairs before dad burst a blood vessel.

"Oh, you look lovely Charlotte," Polly said with a smile as I came downstairs. I didn't miss the way her beady eyes flashed to my mother's pearls. "Doesn't she look beautiful Trent?"

My father turned slowly, as if the action of staring at me brought him physical pain. Maybe it did – for nearly half of my life my father couldn't look at me without flinching. We spent so much time fighting and testing one another...

"Why are you doing this to me?" I cried out, nursing my broken ribs which were healing slowly. "Why is it Brennan can pull whatever shit he wants but if I so much as sneeze you beat me?"

"You have no respect, Charlotte! I may be your father but I am still your Alpha and you challenge me every day!" My father's face was ferocious; his wolf was so close to the surface I feared he would shift then and there.

"I disrespect you because I want to go to college?" I demanded, straightening as the last of my newest breaks healed. "You have found a reason to beat me ever since mom died!"

He shook his head in disbelief, his eyes glowing hot amber. "Charlotte you blame everybody for your mistakes!"

"Gee, I wonder where I get that from," I said haughtily, feeling my hurt rising. "You blame everybody for the death of mom!" I stepped up right into his face then – a bad move for a wolf to make but my rage was in full swing. "You can't bear to face the fact that the reason mom is dead is because you picked a fight with the wrong people and you weren't strong enough to handle the fallout – ah!" The sting of his palm across my cheek sent me to the ground. I could taste my blood and I could feel I bit my tongue.

"Stand down Charlie!" My wolf whispered frantically. "He will kill you!"

"Dad!" Brennan burst through the front door. "Dad stop!"

"Silence Brennan!" My dad roared.

"Dad look at what you're doing!" Brennan shouted. "She is your only daughter – the last link of mom we can look at."

"...He's about five minutes away."

I zoned back in to hear the Beta's voice. My father was still staring at me, as if he was reliving a terrible memory as well. He tore his eyes away to stare at his newly arrived Beta and I smiled down at Mary who looked just as preppy as I did.

"Nice outfit," I commented, noting it was basically a mirror image of mine, only in blue.

"Don't get me started," she hissed. "It's not even a label."

Everyone began moving toward the porch, standing in rank order. I slipped in next to Brennan, shaking my head at Mary who was staring down at her dress with distaste. I was surprised at how clean the street was. Usually it was littered with toys in people's yards and trash cans that hadn't been emptied, yet today, everything was spotless and there wasn't another pack member in sight.

Dad was dressed in a suit as he always was. His hair was perfectly combed and he looked cool and calm but I knew beneath that façade his wolf would be pacing. Every wolf gets nervous when they go face to face with another Alpha, especially one more powerful than you.

Michigan had high pack numbers and they continued to grow. Wyoming was nothing compared to it so I had no clue why Michigan wanted to bother with us.

I heard them before I saw them. The sounds of two cars, most likely 4WD's, were coming down the street. I could make out some pack members peering from cracks in the curtains, curiosity overriding my father most likely telling them to stay indoors.

The cars slowly pulled up on the side of the road and the windows were so tinted that even with my werewolf vision I found it hard to see inside. The engines cut off and I saw my father tense slightly before he relaxed himself. I looked over at Polly who was clutching Beta Phillip's hand but was staring at my father. I wondered if her wolf ever got sick of her obsession with my father or if she encouraged it.

My attention was brought back to the cars as the doors opened. Two hulking men got out of the drivers and passenger seat of the first car. Both had shaved heads and looked truly menacing however, they wore crisp suits and emotionless masks on their faces.

Stepping out of the back seat a red haired woman presented herself, wearing a dress just as tacky as ours. She had a small bump in her stomach and I widened my eyes to find she was pregnant. I wondered how much that pissed the Alpha off – that his Gamma would have offspring before he did. A man slid out behind her, his black hair short and cut to the scalp wearing another tacky suit.

The next car emptied and two more hulking men got out and so now I took them to be guards. We hadn't set rooms up for them so I had no idea where they intended on sleeping. I looked to the back of the final car in interest. I wondered if he would look as he had in the pictures Emily had shown me.

I guess I would soon see. 

Copyright© 2016 by Bethany Shay Porteous. All Rights Reserved. 
www.bethanyshayporteous.com

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

254K 9.1K 21
Growing up, Athena's life changed dramatically when her mother was murdered in front of her. At a young age her father changed and began to abuse her...
8.2M 248K 46
Charlotte has kept her wolf a secret her entire life. She knows she is the first born heir to an Alpha, but her mother refuses to tell her who her fa...
371K 10.8K 40
Every year unmated wolves from the Blackwell pack go out into the world in hopes of finding their mate. Despite his age, Luke has lost all hope of fi...
33.1K 1.2K 39
Sequel to 'Me and A rejection' Saphiya Bane Collins a ruthless Alpha, a possible savage. She could wipe out a whole world of innocents just to keep...