Copyright for Creatives

By kirylin

We hear a lot about copyright...when it's coming into play. Celebrities and YouTube Personalities recently su... More

Project Introduction
Part 1: Levels of Copyright
1.1 Copyright
1.2 Public Domain
1.3 Fair Use
1.4 Creative Commons
Part 2: Copyright in Practice
2.1 Right to Repair
2.2 Copyrighting Software
2.3 Accessibility
2.4 Social Media
2.5 Characters
2.6 Copyrighting Quotes
3.1 Recorded Performance
3.2 Live Performance
3.3 Movies & Other Screens
3.4 Dance
Part 4: Remix Culture
4.1 Responsible Sourcing & Crediting
4.2 User-Generated Content (Fancraft)
4.3 Cover Art
4.4 Music and Copyright

Part 3: Performance Culture

8 1 0
By kirylin

Did you know performances, regardless of the genre, are protected by copyright? If you've been following news around the game Fortnite, you've probably been learning this. And who has never noticed the copyright notice at the end of television episodes and movies? That's how many of us learned (or practiced) Roman numerals.

Remember that part of the definition of copyright requires the artifact to be in a fixed, tangible medium. That's easier for some performance artifacts than others, but it doesn't matter. They're copyrighted...within certain limits that aren't all that different from the rules surrounding securing processes.

Because these performances are copyrighted, there are a lot of issues involving licensing and permissions around them - sharing them, using them in anything resembling a Fair Use application, distributing them. We're going to explore this through various performing arts and situations that have arisen. Maybe even try to answer questions along the way.

It's a wild ride, folks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.3K 1.2K 35
All around,characters belong to their respective owners.You to you,my dear reader.Will include girl x girl,guy x girl,etc.(All will be xReader)
6.3K 274 44
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘸 𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘧𝘶𝘯 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 & 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘰�...
15K 493 14
Zelink Week 2017!!!! Drabbles and Oneshots! January 8, 2017 ------> The Beat of Your Heart January 9, 2017 -------> Discourse ...
123K 1.5K 38
hey there jax simps(me including) i wrote this just for y'all 😍 -Characters don't belong to me! They belong to original owners (except for reader)