Remembering You For Eternity

By runexi

[[Book 2 (FINAL book) of "One Lifetime is Never Enough"]] "I would have waited for you forever." The lament... More

!!! Set-Ups and Glossary !!!
2.0 Echelon of Immortality
2.1 Dormant Magnolia (1)
2.2 Dormant Magnolia (2)
2.3 The Unwanted (1)
2.4 The Unwanted (2)
2.5 Ji YuLan - Five (1)
2.6 Ji YuLan - Five (2)
2.7 Departing to Wu Shan Sect
2.8 Love Is Madness
2.9 Reminisce
2.10 The Sword Called Flower
2.11 Learn To Fly
2.12 Forgotten Memories (1)
2.13 Forgotten Memories (2)
2.14 Faces From The Past
2.15 Ao Xiang The Beastmaster
2.16 Doubt and Yearning
2.17 Ominous Journey (1)
2.18 Lei and Bian
2.19 Ominous Journey (2)
2.20 The Guqin and The Sword
2.21 Zuo ZhouLei - Fifteen
2.22 Charmed By You
2.23 Preliminary (1)
2.24 Preliminary (2)
2.25 Zuo Shan'er
2.26 Foreboding
2.28 Royalties' Feud
2.29 Demons From The Past
2.30 Whisper From Another Lifetime
2.31 Trepidation
2.32 A Flower That Grows On Mud
2.33 Dreamscape Of Heaven
2.34 Return of The Yin Maiden (1)
2.35 Return of The Yin Maiden (2)
2.36 Inheritance of a Mother's Love
2.37 Carrier of Malice
2.38 End of Zuo Shan'er's Want
2.39 Legend (1)
2.40 Legend (2)
2.41 If 'You and I' Were Enough
2.42 The Returned Two
2.43 Qing Lian and Zuo JinLong
2.44 Respite
2.45 Aftermath
2.46 Yun Ying's Legacy
2.47 Dreams of The Pasts (1)
2.48 Dreams of The Pasts (2)
2.49 Threads of Soul
2.50 A White Orchid's Fortune
2.51 The Sky Deity
2.52 No Longer Waiting
THE END
Mini Theatre: Sect Leader Shen Wei
Forgotten Time, Incessant Bond

2.27 Knowing You Once More

5.9K 386 94
By runexi

Zhen Zhu gulped in anxiety. She knew that YuLan would have a perfectly good reason for behaving the way she did.

"Master Lu Bing," YuLan glanced briefly towards the young beast-master, "Can you summon the Fire Phoenix once more and direct it at this man?"

Lu Bing balked with wide eyes. He did conserve some energy, lest he would be incapacitated during his own match later that day. Therefore, he could definitely still summon his Fire Phoenix. However, that did not mean he wanted to do it. He glanced towards the newcomer, who was behaving more strangely with each passing second. 

He had not seen the male practitioner before, and judging from his cultivation, he should be at the Martial-Artist level, same as Lu Bing was. But he summoned his spirit beast just to show off a little to the pretty Ping sect's cultivator named Zhen Zhu. Why would he want to expend his energy to show off to a male?

Zhen Zhu gripped YuLan's arms and took a sharp breath,

"YuLan. You mean he is...?"

Xiao Zi's face paled as she unsheathed her 'Xiang' off her belt, YuLan's own 'Hui' was already unsheathed and casted a white gleam around its cold blade. Zhen Zhu quickly unsheathed her own sword as well.

It was a fraction of a second, but the glint of sharp light that was aimed towards them was quickly blocked off by Zhen Zhu. Of all three, she had the best reflexes. When the object fell towards the ground, they saw a sharp needle; YuLan could still see the faint black threads off it that soon dissipated in the air.

"Miss Xiao Zi," Long TianShan's smile grew colder, "It's just a few days, but why are you treating me so?"

He flicked his sleeves and a burst of silvers flew once again towards the four people. Lu Bing, upon noticing Zhen Zhu in danger, quickly summoned the Fire Phoenix without further qualms.

The bird soared towards Long TianShan, engulfing the silver needles that were still in their trajectory towards them. YuLan, Xiao Zi, and Zhen Zhu formed a row of barrier in front of Lu Bing. After all, while he was summoning the Fire Phoenix, he could not do much to help them in offensive battle. The clang of blades against needles resounded as if they were blades against the mightiest of sabers.  Then the needles fell to the ground.

The Fire Phoenix's pair of wings spanned and engulfed Long TianShan. Although the bird was not as large as the one Ao Xiang had shown them, it quickly covered the man's upper body as Long TianShan let out an inhuman sounding scream.

YuLan could see the black fogs wriggling as they were burnt by the fire.

It only lasted at most five intakes of breath, but the commotion had drawn some spectators. Initially the other people only thought the five of them were engaged in a friendly match. But the way Long TianShan was wailing as if someone was murdering him, some of them had begun to unsheathe their own weapons. Some of them were looking in awe at the Fire Phoenix. Lu Bing's qi, though not as powerful as Ao Xiang's, was strong. His summoned Fire Phoenix looked regal and menacing as its fire licked through Long TianShan's upper body.

Then Lu Bing gasped and knelt to the ground, panting with trembling legs.

The Fire Phoenix gradually grew smaller, turning into burnt embers of fire that finally scattered completely in the empty air.

YuLan, Zhen Zhu, and Xiao Zi stood in horror, as the initially screaming Long TianShan soon resumed his initial calm expression, his graceful smile now looking twisted.

"The power bestowed to me is truly marvellous," he turned his palms in wonder as he chuckled to himself. Then without warning, he stepped on his heels to fly forward.

Xiao Zi had fought Long TianShan in a match just a few days before. But never would she imagine that his moves and sudden assault would be as fierce and murderous at this moment. As a Martial-Artist, she knew that there was no way she would be able to win against him, especially when this was not even a friendly match.

YuLan quickly intercepted his next assault as it was aimed towards Xiao Zi's solar plexus that would no doubt render her friend incapacitated.

However, Hui's blade might as well be a butter knife as it made contact with Long TianShan's claws. Everytime her sword barely touched the man, the black fog tried to climb onto the hilt of her blade, causing her to jump backward in trepidation.

She did not want to know what would happen if the malice were to ever reach her skin. Then she felt a numbing pain on her right leg as soon as it touched the ground, causing her to stumble. Zhen Zhu was a few steps away, tending to the barely conscious Lu Bing, her eyes widened in horror as she watched Long TianShan's laughter grew colder as his claws were about to touch YuLan's shoulder,

"Pesky pest. I just wanted to talk to Miss Xiao Zi." The man smiled coldly, "Let's get you out of the way."

Xiao Zi threw her blade and as if it was second nature, she unhesitatingly lunged sideways to reach where YuLan was, where those killing claws were intended at. If Long TianShan was just a bit enamoured in her as he claimed he was, then he should be at least be hesitant in attacking. She was willing to bet with her own life.

YuLan's eyes were widened in horror as the flash of figure came in between her and Long TianShan, she was suddenly brought back to the nightmare of her past lifetime. She wanted to get Xiao Zi out of the way, to not see her friend die in front of her.

To not see another friend die again in front of her, because she was incapable of protecting herself.

The dim face as the red streaked in front of her, as Xiao Hui's whisper of her name echoed in her mind, Xiao Hui's cold body.

Once again, she could only sit and watch.

Long TianShan's agonizing scream barely registered in her sense of hearing afterwards as she was suddenly enveloped in a warm embrace. She panted in agony, still remembering the scene of Xiao Hui's death, sobbing into the arms she was being held in,

"Xiao.... Xiao... ."Her words were incoherent and her voice stammering.

"She is alright." The voice was youthful, gentle and comforting. The grip around her shoulders tightened, bringing her a sense of unprecedented comfort,

"You are alright. You are alright."

His voice was a soothing lullaby.

----------

Ao Xiang was still holding Xiao Zi in his arms, his Fire Phoenix was still engulfing the screaming Long TianShan. He gently brushed Xiao Zi's hair off her damp forehead and cheeks, the young woman had already lost consciousness. In fact, as soon as he caught her in his arms moments ago, just before the sharp claws of the Martial-Artist-turned-Daemon were a horse's breath away from taking her away from his existence... .

"Not again. Not again. Never again." He whispered as he tried to steady his rapidly beating heart, finally gathering a bit of warmth as he could feel Xiao Zi's steady breathing against his neck.

By holding her close, knowing that she was still breathing, he knew he existed. He could continue to exist.

If he was just a bit late before... .

"Ao Xiang... . What do we do with this one?" Shen Wei's palms were clasped together, injecting his qi to Ao Xiang's spirit beast that was still eagerly burning Long TianShan. He did not know how it would feel to be burnt by a Fire Phoenix, but by the anguished torturous sound the man was emitting, he was more than happy to never find out.

Ao Xiang let out a tired sigh. As much as he wanted to take things into his own hands, to inflict as much pain as possible to this Daemon for even trying to covet or hurt Xiao Zi... . His Xiao Zi.

Ao Xiang coughed lightly to shake his mind off the impure thought he suddenly had,

"Let's try to subdue him and bring him to-... ."

It was Shen Wei's turn to shriek hoarsely as the Fire Phoenix suddenly grew ten times larger. He blinked as he stumbled backwards with gaping mouth, it was definitely not his own qi that caused the bird to reach the size of a titan! Unclasping his palms, he steadied his qi and looked at the young man who was now standing by his side.

In the young man's arms, the yin maiden laid against his chest. Her face was pale, but the shallow movement of her front robe told Shen Wei that at least she was breathing.

Besides, with the way Zuo ZhouLei's expression was at the moment, Shen Wei doubted there would be any harm to befall the Ping sect maiden.

He had never seen his aloof shidi's face as dark as it was, as murderous as it was. From the burst of steady energy transferred to the enormous Fire Phoenix, Shen Wei knew the culprit behind the spirit beast' growth.

When there were no more screams coming from Long TianShan, Zuo ZhouLei turned to look at Ao Xiang, not one bit loosening his hold on YuLan, despite how Cao Lu and Zhen Zhu were already hovering around him in worry,

"Ao Xiang-shiong. It's safe to call the Fire Phoenix back now."

Ao Xiang quickly withdrew the last bit of his own qi to let the bird return to the elements.

Long TianShan sat on the grounds, a foul smell pooling around him. A mixture of rotten stench from the burnt malice that had initially possessed him, as well as the bladder that he had lost control of. Shen Wei shook his head in disgust, feeling the battle inside his own mind between what he wanted to do, and what he should do next.

He wanted to let someone else clean up this mess. But... .

He looked at Ao Xiang, whose arms were still holding Xiao Zi.

He looked at Zuo ZhouLei, who was still carrying YuLan and did not seem to have the slightest intention to let go.

He looked at at Zuo JinHai and Zuo BingTan.

Shen Wei sighed. Blame him for not having anyone he fancied that he could embrace. Blame him for not being a Royal Prince. Therefore the disgusting task of examining the foul-smelling villain must fall onto him, this lonely single dog and a commoner.

Checking the acupoints and Long TianShan's qi, Shen Wei furrowed his brows,

"He has lost his cultivation... ." He waved his hand in front of the blankly looking ex-cultivator,

"And ... his mind as well?"

"Good." Zuo ZhouLei muttered as he threw one last cold glare at the empty husk of a human, "If he still had some malice despite all that, the White Tiger would devour him next."

Shen Wei shuddered and swallowed his saliva, not quite wanting his shidi to elaborate further. Ever since heavens know when, the White Tiger was already sitting by Ao Xiang's side, licking his sharp teeth once in a while in anticipation.

"Ao Xiang-shiong." ZhouLei nodded lightly towards him, "Both YuLan and MeiZi-jie have been poisoned. The silver needles were coated with them. It will not cause any life-threatening danger, but it will incapacitate them for a few days. Best if something is to be arranged for their upcoming matches."

Ao Xiang observed as Cao Lu had taken out a silver needle from Xiao Zi's collarbone. Similarly, YuLan's right thigh had been punctured with the needle as well, the cause of her immobility against Long TianShan earlier.

He really wanted to discuss with the Sages if the upcoming matches could be cancelled after all. Initially he wanted to subdue Long TianShan to understand more the origin of his possession – after all, merely a few days ago, the Martial-Artist was still perfectly well. However, despite initially believing in the White Tiger's prowess in protecting the sect, despite knowing for a fact that a lot of beast-masters were currently present and therefore should have been able to succumb a lone Daemon... . It turned out they were not ready after all.

The only person who could detect the presence of a malice was the pure yin maiden. Ao Xiang shuddered. If YuLan was not with Xiao Zi, what would have happened?

It would be best if they could prepare themselves against this common threat. From this occurrence, malice could possess anyone anywhere. Ao Xiang, Shen Wei, and Zuo ZhouLei should train the other beast-masters to not engage in fights for prestige.

----------

Zhen Zhu and Lu Bing became closer as the following days passed by. Even the treatment from Hui Lin sect was more favourable towards the recuperating beast-master. Cao Lu also turned a blind eye towards Zhen Zhu's partial treatment towards the male cultivator while secretly sighing in pity as she thought of Sage Xiang Ya back in Ping sect.

There were not only one or two instances in the past where succeeding disciples let go of their status to pursue love. Zhen Zhu was Sage Xiang Ya's succeeding disciple. And looking at the blossoming feeling between the pair, Cao Lu could only purse her lips and draw a long sigh.

Being a big sister was certainly not easy.

The other pair was Xiao Zi and Ao Xiang of course. The senior disciple of Hui Lin sect would not let a day go by without checking on her shimei.

Despite that, the one that gave Cao Lu the most grievance was YuLan.

Didn't Cao Lu warn YuLan before that a man was off-limits? This pure yin shimei of hers definitely was not paying her any heed as the latter jovially cultivated feelings with her youngest step-brother. And Zuo ZhouLei had no qualms of showing his attention towards her as well.

Cao Lu wanted to swing her fists towards the sky,

"Heavens!! Why are you making things so difficult for me!"

"I can't be the only one to return to the sect and let my shimeis frolick with these men like pairs of mandarin ducks in the world, right?!"

----------

YuLan did not know her DaShijie's difficulty, nor did she want to do anything about it even if she knew. She tilted her head and smiled slightly as she observed Zuo ZhouLei's pained expression as he looked at her swollen thigh. He was sitting an arm's length away, on a wooden stool by the bed.

"Is it painful?" He softly asked, his hands lingered mid-air as if he wanted to touch her but did not have the courage to.

YuLan laughed in her heart, but she shook her head gently, "The sixth same question for the day, the twenty-fourth one ever since I was admitted in this recovery room."

At least it was her thigh that was swollen, Xiao Zi was hit on her collarbone and currently her neck and upper collarbone area looked like a bloated frog's.

Although nevertheless, Ao Xiang still looked at Xiao Zi like she was the most beautiful goddess in the universe.

"It is not painful at all." YuLan chuckled at his discomfort. She was the one looking unsightly, but he was the one looking like death,

"I know it looks ugly... ."

"Not ugly at all!" Came the quick objection, and the young man's face reddened as he fixed his stare at YuLan's face. He sighed as he glanced away to hide his face,

"Not... ugly at all."

"Ahhhh...!! Can I not just pounce on him this instant?!"

"Lei-ge..." A soft voice called from the door. YuLan remembered the owner of the voice.

Zuo Shan'er.

YuLan would be blind if she did not notice Zuo Shan'er's feelings towards Zuo ZhouLei. Although she did not have anything against the young Princess, nor did she find her personality as fake as Qing Lian's, she still had a sour feeling when Zuo Shan'er tried to pry ZhouLei's attention away from her.

"Imperial Uncle wants to see you... ." Zuo Shan'er lowered her head, refusing to meet YuLan's gaze. She tugged on Zuo ZhouLei's robe lightly, causing the latter to frown.

YuLan did not say or mention anything, but she could see that the relationship between Zuo Shan'er and Zuo ZhouLei was cordial, if not lukewarm. At least, Zuo ZhouLei never acted impolitely or raised his voice at the young Princess,

"I understand. Shan'er, leave first. I will head there after this."

Upon noticing she would not be able to leave together with Zhou Lei, the young woman pouted slightly and finally left the room.

"I know the Emperor wants to ask some questions," YuLan smiled at him, "I am sorry that I am still useless. I can't even fly at this point to reach the Peak where he's at."

"Don't worry about it." Zuo BingTan's voice was suddenly heard. There was an annoyed snort in his tone as his figure had finally entered the room,

"If Imperial Father truly wanted to ask some questions, he would be the one visiting you and Xiao Zi!"

Soon, Zuo JinHai and ShenWei poked their heads inside the room as well, the latter grinning widely towards Zuo ZhouLei,

"You sinful young man, you! I just saw the little Princess walking away with tears in her eyes. What have you said to her that made her so upset?"

Zuo ZhouLei rolled his eyes and stood. With the sudden incoming of people, the room was getting too crowded. YuLan needed rest.

He was about to usher his Imperial Brothers, and his shixiong out of the room, when they bumped into Cao Lu. She was bringing a stringed object in her arms. Looking closely, it was a guqin. Glaring at the group of men who almost gave her a heart attack, Cao Lu continued to walk towards YuLan, gently placing the guqin on her lap.

"Isn't that the guqin I gave you?" Shen Wei looked at the slightly familiar looking object. He had a sharp memory, recalling that the guqin was definitely one that was given to the yin maiden a few years ago after their mission at the Land of Yanshi.

"DaShixiong gave her the guqin?" Zuo ZhouLei turned his head to look at Shen Wei sharply.

"Ah! Definitely!" Zuo JinHai exclaimed as he walked closer to YuLan, strumming a few fingers of the guqin now on her lap.

Zuo ZhouLei pulled him back, frowning.

"Yes, it's the one that we have given to her." Zuo BingTan quipped.

Zuo ZhouLei's face grew darker.

"Don't forget Ao Xiang. He also chimed in some coins to give this guqin to my shimei. In fact, he was the one choosing which guqin to give her." Cao Lu let out a gleeful smile at the discomfort she noticed from Zuo ZhouLei,

"My shimei is so popular... ." She added, just enough for Zuo ZhouLei to hear. She definitely did not want to say that she also put in some money in buying the guqin.

It was her petty revenge to ease her grief at Zuo ZhouLei's blatant attention towards YuLan. Ever since YuLan got wounded, it was even more apparent. Only a donkey would not see how the usually indifferent Royal Prince acted towards the pure yin maiden.

In her heart, she was already finding various excuses to absolve herself of any blame Sage Zhu Hong might throw at her if the latter were to find out... . But in Cao Lu's defence, the heart was not hers, the mouth was not hers, how would she regulate other people's feelings?

YuLan felt a bit guilty at Zuo ZhouLei's gloomy face. She coughed and tried to shift the topic,

"Lei. Can you play guqin?"

"Can you play with me? Just like we used to? Would you play for me?" The words she could not mutter at the moment.

"There's nothing that this weirdo cannot do." Shen Wei was the one replying, while nudging Zuo ZhouLei's shoulder.

"Ah." Zuo ZhouLei scratched his neck, "All the Imperial bloodline is expected to be literate in the four arts."

"But the only thing CaoLu-jie knows to do with a guqin is bashing someone with it." Zuo JinHai shrugged, causing Cao Lu to chase him around the room, intending to hurt him with the teapot she was carrying.

"It will be lovely to be able to play together." YuLan bit her lower lips in anticipation, looking at Zuo ZhouLei with hopeful eyes.

It was an instance before she shifted her glance away towards the other people in the room, as if her 'together' she said, was directed for everyone indeed.

However, that moment when her lustrous gaze was affixed at him, was as if he was the only one in the room. It was if he was the only one that smile was directed for.

Could he be emboldened and arrogant to feel that way?

----------

----------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 120K 32
Stay in your limits. Don't think that I don't know anything. I cannot forget what you and your mother did to me and with my sister. Be there where yo...
161 6 12
Two twin sisters drifted apart because of misunderstandings and screaming by there on family no less. Zan Cui the one with a dragon fate was seen as...
48.3K 3.3K 63
( UNEDITED ) First Place Holder in Writer's Choice Awards 2020 ☘️ " I didn't know that you were my would be wife", I clear my throat and said coldly...
505K 35K 37
[BOOK TWO] "Anniversaries to some are like counting the years spent doing something great, years spent together, or years spent alive." I started slo...