WORLD'S WEIGHT β–Ή tfatws

By aurunium

π–πŽπ‘π‹πƒ'𝐒 π–π„πˆπ†π‡π“ ━━ but if you bury your sadness instead of letting it out / what else can it do... More

WORLD'S WEIGHT
epigraph
cast & playlist
govt. database
graphics i
graphics ii
ACT ONE - prologue
[ 001 ] chapter one
[ 002 ] chapter two
[ 003 ] chapter three
[ 004 ] chapter four
[ 006 ] chapter six
[ 007 ] chapter seven
[ 008 ] chapter eight
[ 009 ] chapter nine
[ 010 ] chapter ten
[ 011 ] chapter eleven
[ 012 ] chapter twelve
[ 013 ] chapter thirteen
[ 014 ] chapter fourteen
[ 015 ] chapter fifteen
[ 016 ] chapter sixteen
[ 017 ] chapter seventeen
[ 018 ] chapter eighteen

[ 005 ] chapter five

1.2K 68 1
By aurunium

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

WHAT ARE THE
SHADES OF DARKNESS

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

content warning:
mentions of torture and gore on the chapter below.

❚ SIBERIA, SEPTEMBER 20, 2011 | HYDRA Facility ❚

There was something about the coldness that surrounded the lands of Siberia. It's not a usual one that the man usually experiences during winter back at the Mansion. It's harsh, vile and unforgiving. Wrapping the whole place into a thick snow that froze everything that it encounters, there was no sun to grace the inhabitants who had been yearning for warmth for a long time. Nor fires strong enough to withstand the icy storms that dominate the land.

But then after all, there was no amount of sunlight or heat of any season that could warm the coldness seeping on his bones at the moment.

The Asset, just like how he was named, is indeed a creature of winter. He is used to the sense of dread and bleakness, only this time the feeling was so great it felt unfamiliar to him.

Four days ago, right after he got back from a month-long mission from Yekaterinburg. News came to him delivered by one of his superiors about the sudden fall of the Mansion and its allies all over the country. They said it was due to the failed extraction mission in America of the two lead agents of the organisation, Nightshade and Wolf Spider. The Wolf Spider falls into the hands of a powerful intelligence community called SHIELD. Leading to an effective capture of the Mansion and fall of its long reigning empire. The Soldier couldn't care less about the death of Niko Petrovich or the many men and agents that laid down their lives just to protect every base and facility they have. After all they are just one on the long list of HYDRA's situational alliances of underground organised crime. Though they have been a very useful one in the past fifty years he doubts that HYDRA would once again waste resources and manpower to help them defeat the enemies they gain for themselves. It already happened once, there won't be another.

What the Soldier was so fearful about since he received the news has something to do with the two lead agents. The last time heard about the twins was about twenty years ago if his memory serves him right, whispers has it they were put in the ice that long because of an extreme illness and both KGB and HYDRA were hellbent in looking for a cure. Perhaps they were already cured recently and their superiors decided to immediately put them on a major mission.

Something he didn't expect considering how young the children still are. After spending a considerably long time with them before, he knows that they are far from being common kids. Both Liev and Czarina are strong and have abilities beyond compare to a common HYDRA agent. But they went into the ice at fifteen years old. What is that to fully grown soldiers that may have been waiting on the other side.

The man has no idea where the Madame or the Elder Guardian found the twins and why they possess such unique abilities. But ever since he met them there was a part, deep inside him, that instinctively tries so hard to protect them (if you can call it that). A part that seems to be so dormant in a merciless, killing machine that it brought some confusing memories the man isn't sure were his. For others, the two may be a distant memory after two long decades, but for him they were the only memory worth holding on to, so those times that had passed without seeing them only felt like a flash in his life.

Every step he took in the dark, freezing hallway made his breathing more difficult and uncontrollable. As soon as he arrived at the certain facility when transferred under the orders of the Director, the man endlessly asked where the agents had been detaining the sole survivor of Red Room's fall two days ago.

Eventually one guard snapped in fear and intimidation of the Soldier and they finally told him where the girl was. Nearing the dingy cell the guard described, he took a deep breath and tried his best to remain less threatening. Fearing him is the last thing the girl needs at this point.

In the pitch blackness of the room, a form sits at its corner, hunched and shivering. The man then flipped the light switch to see the girl in a clearer form, only for her to scramble in panic as she fears another round of guards were there to continue their work of torture.

"Vse v poryadke, vse v poryadke. Eto prosto ya." The Soldier spoke calmly. It's alright, it's alright. It's just me.

She was covered in bruises and cuts from head to toe, her face was badly beaten with an almost torn lip and swollen left eye. Her ankles were bent in an odd position like someone tried to break it by hand. Tears stream down the girl's blood and soot covered face as she stares at the familiar face in front of her.

It's him. His blue eyes were the first thing that registered on the girl's mind. It's been years since she last saw him. No, decades. In the entire time they were in ice was he also frozen? Because the man in front of her is the same exact one she met twenty years ago, just less gaunt and more rugged looking. Not a single wrinkle can be found on his face, it's like he didn't even age a day.

"Ty. YA pomnyu, chto eto byl ty." You. It's you, I remember. Her voice was raspy and strained. The soldier can see every bit of her struggle as she limps towards the rusting bars separating the two of them.

"Bog. Chto oni s toboy sdelali?" God. What have they done to you?

Czarina didn't respond, she only lowered her head as soft cries began to spill from her lips. The whole sight made the Soldier's insides twist into violent knots, a harrowing feeling growing on his chest. For so long HYDRA was what he was all about. Their words, orders and beliefs. That's who he is. He was born from them, so he will serve dutifully in whatever interests they have. But now an unfamiliar feeling began to grow on him, the urge to bust out the girl from the cell, kill everyone in their way and escape was so strong it felt terrifying. Is this even possible? He thought.

Without seconds thoughts, the Soldier stretched out his right hand at the child. Gently clasping it to hers, there was a light flinching at first but eventually Czarina found a comfort in holding on to someone.

"YA boyus'. Liv ushla." I'm scared. Liev is gone.

He swallowed thickly on the mention of the boy. The last time he was with Liev... the memory of the child's weakening body flashed on the man's head. Until now he still hears his cries of agony, begging to the Soldier just to end it all. He remembers how the sickness slowly and painfully turned Liev into skin and bone. Almost half dead on an empty husk.

"S nim vse v poryadke? Po sravneniyu s tem, chto bylo ran'she?" Is- is he well? Compared to before?

The girl nodded sharp in confirmation. Despite the current predicament there was a pang of relief spreading on his chest. He's okay even at the least. If he was able to slip away from the claws of the KGB he's sure he'll survive anywhere now. Right now the boy has a better chance than before.

All the Soldier has to think about now is how she could do the same for the girl. To stop HYDRA fully making her their own too.

"YA zdes'. YA ostanus' s toboy vsyu dorogu." I'm here. I'll stay with you all the way. He reassured and tightened his hold on the girl's hand.

All of the sudden the thick metal doors on the hallway swung open, revealing General Karpov tailed by heavy armed guards. Their gaze didn't falter on the sight of the two soldiers separated with the bars of the grimy cell.

"Vstavay, soldat." On your feet, Soldier. The general commanded in his usual cold tone voice. Which the Asset quickly complied to but maintaining the hold of his flesh hand on Czarina.

"Otoydi ot etogo. YA ne budu sprashivat' dvazhdy." Step away from that thing. I won't ask twice.

For years he stood afar and watched the continuous torment of the two. Sometimes even forcibly participating in it as his Superiors claim that they are just like him and only through pain and challenge can they finally be who they are meant to be. But now, standing here, seeing the utter fear on the face of the beaten and bruised child he learned to protect. Whatever HYDRA has instilled on him doesn't hold a candle over his will to spare the girl from being taken away.

"Net." No. He replied steely.

The first guard came from the left, putting his hand on the man's shoulder in an attempt to pull him away. But before he could even act the Soldier twisted the guard's hand using his bionic arm and flipped him over the ground effortlessly.

Dread was evident on the rest of the team, even the General titled his head uneasily as he stared down at what the Asset just did. "Uberite yego otsyuda." Take him away. Karpov ordered the guards. With a hint of hesitation the men brought out their weapons, guns and electric batons drawn at the direction of the mentor and child as they circled around the cell's entrance.

There are a dozen of them at the moment but Czarina is sure once the Soldier refuses to hack down. More will be sent down here to stabilise him, she had seen moments like this before. Guards would drag him helpless once they got a hold of the situation, chaining the man like an animal in a chamber where she would often hear screams.

No. She can't let that happen.

Before another guard could send an attack on their side the girl let go of her grip and stood up with both hands in the air. "Ne delay yemu bol'no. YA poydu." Don't hurt him. I'll go. She declared as she trembled on her feet.

There was only a look. A look of pure disbelief and hurt from the man. One moment he was ready to take down anyone who's a threat to the girl. And now he's just watching again as they pull her out of the cell with no remorse on their faces on what they've done to her body.

"Vse normal'no. YA vse yeshche zdes'." It's okay. I'm still here. His hand grabbed against hers once more but quickly slipped away too when guards put themselves between the two.

"Vam yeshche ne razresheno s ney videt'sya." You are not allowed to see her yet. It was an order. Another one of his superiors, Andrei spoke with a strong conviction.

"Mne nuzhno bylo yeye uvidet'." I needed to see her. The Soldier muttered, his eyes still following the trail of steps the girl had taken upon getting out of the room.

"After all of this is over, you will be reprimanded accordingly for disobeying the orders but for now follow me."

"Tell me what are you going to do for her." A smooth English spilled from the Soldier's mouth as more anger built up inside him.

"YA mogu vzyat' eto otsyuda." I can take it from here. Andrei declared, raising his left hand at the couple of guards that was left with them. The men gradually followed the order once they sense the general has the upper hand at the moment and won't be harmed easily.

Silence reigned between the Asset and his superior for the next few seconds. Intently staring at each other with the aim of getting under one's skin. But eventually the other decided to break it off.

"Karpov yeshche nichego ne skazal?" Karpov hasn't told you anything yet?

"Vot pochemu ya proshu vas." This is why I ask you. His icy blue eyes narrowed at the older man.

"Oni nikogda ne govoryat o prichinakh, ne tak li? Tol'ko prostyye korotkiye zakazy. Nikakikh ob"yasneniy." They never talk about reasons, do they? Simple, short orders only. No explanation. Andrei pointed out in calm tone. "Konechno eto ty." Of course, it's you.

"Eto ne obo mne. YA sprashivayu o ney." This isn't about me. I ask about her. The Soldier spat in annoyance of the unnecessary chit chat. He's supposed to be with the girl right now! Not here exchanging words with another pathetic so-called superior.

"Sovet reshil, chto ona zasluzhivayet spaseniya ot razrusheniya Krasnoy komnaty. V kontse kontsov, GIDRA sygrala dlya neye ogromnuyu rol'." The council decided she's worth enough to be saved from the destruction of the Red Room. After all, HYDRA played a huge part in her. The general explained.

"They realised she's too unstable to be committed to our cause. So here we are, taking the last possible way..."

"Sdelav yeye odnoy iz nikh." By making her one of them? He questioned, crease lines appearing on his forehead.

"Da. I yesli operatsiya poydet ne tak, kak oni khotyat... eto moment, kogda vy vstupayete." Yes. And if the operation doesn't work the way they want to... that's the moment you'll step in.

"Kakiye?" What?

The man paused momentarily to find the right words, threading lightly to avoid a sudden outburst from his asset. "If they can't control her the way they did with you. You'll be ordered to terminate her."

Complete terror washed over the man, raising the fine hairs on the back of his neck. The fists on his sides started to tremble uncontrollable from both rage and fright.

"Net net! Pochemu mne nikto ne skazal!" No. No! Why did no one tell me! He screamed.

"Zachem im?" Why would they? The elderly grabbed him by the arms. "So you can try to escape and go? You know that can be possible. Not for people like us! We have no choice."

"Nu u neye yest." Well she has. He gritted his teeth and harshly removed Andrei's hold at him. It felt like he was about to collapse. The girl survived the fall of Red Room only for her to meet a much terrible fate. It's the only reason they rescued her, to be another expandable tool in HYDRA's game. And now it's too late for her to escape.

He should have looked for her the moment he heard about the failed mission. That could have been a chance for her to get away from all of it. She should have gotten away with her brother. Not like this.

"YA ne mogu eto sdelat'. Vy prosite menya ubit' yeye." I can't do it. You're asking me to kill her.

"You won't have to if the reprogramming works on her!"

"I vy deystvitel'no dumali, chto ya mogu prosto stoyat' i smotret', kak vy vse kovyryayete yeye mozgi?" And you really thought I could just stand there and watch you all pick her brain? He glowered at the superior.

Andrei sighed heavily as he rubbed his left hand on his temple. "If you refuse, she'll face a much, much horrible fate. They'll get you out of here and bring them instead." The man explained with conviction in his words.

"Don't you realise that the only reason you're given the job is because you're the only one who's out of the ice? It was a risk putting you with that child."

"Itak, oni znayut..." So they know...

"Of course they do! They're aware of your attachments to her. And I'm telling you it's putting you both in a great peril."

Tears began to prick the corner of the Soldier's eyes but he managed to retain his composure in front of his superior. After all he's still a part of those who handle him, he might not show any sign of threat as of the moment but he cannot let anyone from HYDRA know more about his personal concerns about the girl.

"Khorosho." Okay. He exhaled sharply. "If that's what I'm here for."

"Good. Because I don't think you too will get out of here alive even if you tried."

No. He doesn't need to escape for now, he just needs a plan incase of worst situation comes up. And that's if the programming doesn't work on her. That's the time the Soldier will fight like hell just to get out of this facility. There's no way he's killing her.

But if the program works, he'll just have to find a way to keep them both alive inside HYDRA. This time with less the risk of them realising he remembers her every time he's wiped. They can't know that, if they do they'll separate them permanently and he won't have a chance to protect her.

"We should get going. They must be ready by now. Come on."

And as they both descend on the dingy elevator the Soldier can feel his metal arm twitch in surprise, as if it was preparing for another disastrous fight yet to come.

━━━━━━━━━━

She can't stand on her own yet so they had to drag the girl by arms, her toes scratching against the coarse surface of the floor. By the time they reached the center of the room her toenails were bleeding and torn off again. Yet it wasn't the most painful injury in her body, it was a surface level wound after all and will only take a few minutes to close up and heal. Compared to the broken ribs she has and the swollen muscles of her torso, it was nothing.

Czarina could only wish for five more minutes without anything else. Five more minutes and I'll fully heal again. Maybe I can fight back to stop them from whatever this is. The girl thought. She isn't stupid, she knows what is going to happen on this room is different from what she had experienced the past few days. It won't be a typical torture session and interrogation.

"Polozhi syuda." Put her down there. A woman with circle glasses instructed the two guards. Referring to the huge, medical chair in the middle. Which is surrounded by a bunch of flat, digital screens and wires snaking all over it. Once Czarina was seated on it she can see almost every side of the room, even the elevated bay area on the left where few of what looks like high ranking officers are staying. And of course him.

She shot a quick look at the Soldier. Gesturing to him it's okay. A lie that she's finding more and more difficult to keep up as the truth of what's about to happen nears.

"Chto proiskhodit?" What is happening? Czarina dared to ask only to be met by a stunned silence from the woman beside her.

"Valeriya, ty gotova?" Valeriya, are you ready? Karpov questioned as he stood outside the low bars that surrounded the center area.

"Sistema gotova, Obshchiye. Nachnem seychas?" System prepared, General. Shall we start now?

With only a small nod from the man, the set of guards assigned to her started restraining the girl with leather straps on ankles and wrists. Panic begins to settle down on Czarina, pulse beating so loud in her ears it blocks all other sound. "Chto ty so mnoy delayesh'?!" What are you doing with me?! She shrieked violently.

The mechanical chair lowered backwards which pulled the girl into a more vulnerable position, a metal headpiece then wrapped around her forehead. An intense pain shot on Czarina's temple as the metal pushed deeper on her head, it felt like there were dozens of tiny needles on it.

"Bez nego budet bol'no." It will hurt without it. The woman stated as she hands over a small rubber on the girl's mouth.

"Skazhi mne, chto proiskhodit, suka." Tell me what's going on, bitch.

"Voz'mi ili pozhaleyesh'." Take it or you'll regret it. She only replied with a less bothered demeanor. Czarina bit against the mouthpiece without taking off her eyes on the doctor. She can only imagine tearing her off once she gets out of that chair.

"Nachinat'." Begin. The General's voice echoed in the room once again.

"Zima." Winter. As soon as he spoke the first word the headpiece crowned on her head sent a shock of electricity, disorienting the girl from everything.

"Vosem'." Eight.

"Rassvet." Dawn. Then there was another, more powerful compared to the first. The whole world started to fade in nothingness, her limbs turning immobile and useless from the continuous shocks.

"Malinovyy." Crimson. She wanted to scream but no sound came out of her throat. On every electric current sent to her brain a recent memory shattered like a brittle glass. Lost forever in the void. No, that can't be right. She can't lose the only thing that makes everything in life less miserable. She's good as dead in the end of this if most of her memories are gone.

"Rodina." Motherland.

"Stali." Steel.

Fight back. She thought.

"Zabytyy." Forgotten.

"Imperiya." Empire. Fragility isn't strange to Czarina, ever since the day she was born everything around her is not what it seems. One second she feels like she has everything and the next moment she's facing the truth nothing is ever really hers. And the exact moment is the reminder of that bitter reality. Nothing belongs to the girl. Not her life, not her words, not even her mind.

"Ispravleniye." Rectification.

"Pyatnadtsat'." Fifteen.

Once it was done the person sitting on the chair was no longer a human in control of their choices. Instead, the girl is dictated by mere words implanted viciously on her head. The child's mind was a blank slate, vulnerable to anything that would be said to her.

"Soldat?" Soldier? A man's voice called out. But she only sat there for the next few seconds, staring blankly at the void. That's not what she's called, she can't answer to the name that does not belong to her.

"Paslen." Nightshade.

And then her whole mind shut open. That's right, that's her name. She owned it the moment she emerged as one of the victors on that forest. Nightshade. Someone who will serve the best interest of both HYDRA and Red Room as her duty is to correct the mistakes her parents once made. She'll be everything they failed to be.

And now that Red Room has been reduced to nothing but ashes, her loyalty and allegiance belongs to HYDRA and its people from this moment.

"Paslen govorit, gotovy prinimat' zakazy." Nightshade speaking, ready to take orders. She spoke with no sign of resisting, only plain obedience for her new superiors.

Karpov studied the child with such fascination and wonder, circling around her for the next seconds as he waited for Nightshade to suddenly snap out or break free from it. But then, the total control of the mind conditioning has fully taken over her. At that point it was impossible for the girl to refuse anything the man says.

"Ubey yego." Kill him. The General pointed at one of the guards standing on his left side.

"Ponyal, ser" Understood, Sir

Without any hesitation the girl picked the nearest weapon to her, a loaded gun placed at the metal tray next to her chair. Two bullets flew past the doctors and went straight at the man's head.

"Prekrasnaya rabota, Paslen." Great job, Nightshade. Karpov declared with a great deal of satisfaction on the work done at the girl. "Otvedi yeye v kazarmu. Dlya neye yest' novaya komnata." Take her to the barracks. There's a new room for her.

They didn't need to force her to comply as Nightshade stood up on her own with a blank look on her eyes. She tilted her head upward to see the commotion in the bay area above them, a man was being held back by a couple of officers, his intense gaze completely focused at the girl like he was waiting for any reaction from her.

And then she only turned away. The Soldier's heart sank on the lack of the recognition on the girl's face. It's done, they have completely taken over her. A numbing pain began to stretch all over him, leaving the man weak into his knees. As the girl he used to know fades into the darkness of the stairs of the floor above them, all he can do is watch in the distance. Hopeless and disheartened.

But what he didn't see was the single tear that ran down Nightshade's cheek as she walked past the corpse of the guard she killed. Probably the last and only sign of remorse the newly programmed killer of HYDRA will ever show.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.7K 2K 117
Victoria Parker is the twelve years older sister of none other than Peter Parker aka Spiderman. After their parents died, they both went to an orphan...
60.7K 1K 23
When the infamous black widow and the winter soldier gets a child while under the red room and hydra, things get intense when Alexander Pierce alread...
73.6K 1.6K 40
Renee was just a baby when her parents died in a terrible car crash. Lucky for her she had a big brother who stepped up becoming mom & dad. Life with...
166K 5.3K 88
Bucky Barnes is finally starting to get back bits of his past with the help of Shuri, but it is jumbled and unclear. As he attempts to sort them, he...