Dead Shot (A Cal Murphy Thril...

By Jack_Patterson

****NOTE: This novel is completed ... Enjoy!***** Working as a journalist at a small weekly paper in rural Id... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
DEAD LINE :: Chapter 1
Acknowledgments
About the Author
Copyright Information

Chapter 68

10.7K 617 131
By Jack_Patterson

*** THIS IS THE FINAL CHAPTER in Dead Shot. Please read more at the end to see how you can learn more about this exciting series and learn more about my works. ***

Chapter 68

At 7 a.m. on Friday morning, Cal got up and checked his email before driving to the Boise airport to pick up Josh. Cal still loathed getting up with the sun, but Josh had selected a morning flight, leaving him no choice but to join the ranks of the early risers.

Cal's in-box overflowed with requests for interviews from media outlets across the country. They all wanted to know how he learned of Carmen Deangelo's identity, and what kind of reaction the people of Statenville had regarding their mayor's sordid past and subsequent death. One boring request for his time after another - except for one.

The producer from the "Mitch in the Morning" show on 950-AM KJR in Seattle wanted to see if Cal would be interested in joining Mitch for 10 minutes at some point that morning to discuss the death of quarterback Cody Murray. It was the one angle Cal had wanted to tell but didn't have the right opportunity. Finally, a venue to properly eulogize an outstanding quarterback, one who had a surprising future for a player on an eight-man team. He replied right away, even though the show was nearly an hour old.

Cal's iPhone rang 30 seconds later with the show producer giving him specific instructions on what to do. The producer wanted him on in 15 minutes since one of the other guests - a well-known Major League star - had cancelled on Mitch due to an unforgiving night on the town the previous evening. Cal was happy to fill the spot.

Cody had received offers from Eastern Washington and Boise State, but there were rumors that Oregon State and Washington were also interested in the dual-threat quarterback. It was Mitch's way of stealing the city's hottest story that morning and giving it a sports angle to attract more listeners. Besides, he was the only one with the reporter who had a front-row seat to all the mayhem.

Cal was insightful and flawless during his interview with Mitch. The 10-minute scheduled interview turned into 20 minutes of compelling radio with a break in between. Cal was so interesting that Mitch even delayed an interview with Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll for five minutes - and Mitch even allowed Cal to encourage listeners to follow him on Twitter. Mitch's producer had to come up with a plausible excuse for Carroll to wait, instead of telling him that the guy on the air right now is really good. When Cal's interview was over, his iPhone buzzed again.

"Hey, Cal. Just wanted to let you know that Mitch loved you - and he wanted to know if you'd be interested in talking about recruits from Idaho throughout the fall, on occasion."

"Sure, I'd love to. You know how to find me."

Cal hung up and smiled. He didn't know how he could get a foot in the competitive Seattle sports market, but in one phone call, he was in with both feet - without really trying. He checked his email account again before heading out. His seven loyal Twitter followers were now part of a legion of 80 that had suddenly appeared since his interview. Cal couldn't wait to tell Josh.

Before getting up from his desk, Cal noticed one more email that piqued his interest. He began reading:

Cal,

I just wanted to thank you for finding out the truth about Cody, Devin and Riley's deaths. They deserved as much, even though it was their own senseless actions that cost them their lives in a way. The few people who love Statenville for what it was, not for what it has become, will grieve their deaths - and celebrate the return of the real Statenville, the one that was built on the backs of hard-working men and women as opposed to some drug scam.

I'm sure you'll have job offers galore after doing such a thorough job of covering this story that supposedly wasn't. But I just thought you should know from a Statenville old timer that you did us proud.

Best of luck wherever you go!

Warmest Regards,

Coach Mike Miller

Cal wasn't sure which was harder to secure - a Pulitzer or a compliment from anyone, much less someone you tried to objectively cover on a regular basis. Either way, Coach Miller's email might as well have been a Pulitzer to Cal. He printed it out. It was something else he couldn't wait to show Josh.

***

At the Boise airport, Cal awaited Josh's arrival inside. He hated driving around waiting on people to deplane or waiting in the cell phone lot. Besides, Cal thought if he was picking up anyone from the airport, it had to be a real friend or a family member. He wasn't a chauffeur. Even chauffeurs parked their limos and went inside to personally greet their clients - the idea of a cell phone lot was absurd. Cal always felt greeting someone inside was the personable thing to do.

When Josh came through the glass doors, Cal greeted him with a handshake and then a hug - one that emphasized they were close friends but nothing more than that. The three rhythmic pats on the back that came in unison verified as much - "We're (pat) just (pat) friends (pat)".

"It's good to see you, Josh."

"Good to see you too, Cal." Josh immediately turned the conversation toward a more serious tone. "How are you doing?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, with all the things you went through over the past week, how are you doing? Are you crazy now? Was it hard going through that? Did you think you were going to die?"

Josh paused before lightening the serious mood.

"Is your rookie Ken Griffey Jr. card bequeathed to me in your will?"

Cal chuckled. "All cards are going to you, Josh. But seriously, I'm doing all right. I try not to think about the fact that Kelly and I were almost murdered and dumped into the bottom of a canyon - and maybe not in that order. When I do think about it, it's like an out-of-body experience. I see myself doing things I wouldn't naturally think to do."

"It's just amazing what you did. And your story had our whole newsroom buzzing."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. It also had my editors buzzing, especially when I told them I was flying out to meet you today and that you were one of my friends from college. They wanted me to give you something."

Josh extended an envelope with The Times logo and address on it. Cal grabbed it and began opening it.

"What is it?"

"It's an offer for you to come work as an enterprise reporter on our sports staff."

"Are you serious?" Cal jumped up and down a few times before giving Josh a hug without regard for how anyone viewed their relationship. Josh almost lost his balance in all the elation.

"Yeah, I'm serious. After your story came through, I mentioned that we were friends and reminded the sports staff that I beat you out for the internship - to which I received many wise cracks, most of which were completely demeaning toward me. Our sports editor then dug up your resume and asked me if I thought you'd want to work in sports."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him yes, of course. An hour later, they gave me this envelope and told me to give it to you when I saw you today."

"Wow! All I can say is thanks! We're going to be together again."

"Well, not so fast. I'm not sure if I'm going to end up staying there after my internship is up next month. It's all up in the air."

"Oh, that's too bad."

"For me - but not for you. You really deserve it, Cal. I mean, anybody that served a sentence at a small town weekly has definitely paid their dues."

"Well, it's not as bad as you might think. I actually met some really nice people in Statenville and learned a lot, thanks to Guy Thompson, God rest his soul."

"That's great. I'm glad it worked out for you."

Josh paused before wading into the touchy subject of women.

"So, what about this Kelly girl? Is there anything to you and her?"

"That is a good question. I really like her, but I'm not sure we've got the same vision for life."

"That's too bad because I've got an offer for her as well to come work for The Times."

Cal looked slack-jawed at Josh.

"They offered her a job, too?"

"Yep, sure did. The photo chief was blown away by the amount of quality pictures she took as you guys were fleeing for your lives. Really good photojournalism, from what he said. You think she'll take it?"

"I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine."

"So, you gonna take the job?"

"Probably. I've got a lot to work through after the past few days. I want to weigh all my options, but you know Seattle is where I've wanted to be for as long as I can remember."

"I'll take that as a yes."

Cal smiled and said nothing. He turned onto the interstate and pressed the gas pedal down. He was doing things his way - no compromise, hard work and a stroke of good luck. It hadn't felt that way four days ago. Yet, like a story can turn on the fortune of one good lead, so can one's life. Cal couldn't believe his was turning out to be one such story.

THE END

*****

Dear Reader,

Thank you so much for sticking with this story on Wattpad. If it weren't for people like you enjoyed these stories, I don't know how encouraged I'd be to keep writing. So, if you enjoyed this book, here's what you can do:

1) Leave a review on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Shot-Murphy-Thriller-Book-ebook/dp/B0071UP3S6

2) Vote this story up and tell others about the book.

3) Join my mailing list by visiting: http://www.iamjackpatterson.com/newsletter ... I let you know about all the new projects here on a quarterly basis and give away free goodies from time to time.

4) Buy the next Cal Murphy book here ... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=series_rw_dp_labf?_encoding=UTF8&field-keywords=A%20Cal%20Murphy%20Thriller&url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text

5) Follow me on Wattpad or on social media with Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MrJackPatterson and/or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JackPattersonAuthor

6) Check out The Fuhrer's Daughter on Wattpad, a book I co-authored with NY Times bestselling author Joshua Graham ... http://www.wattpad.com/story/20116308-the-f%C3%BChrer%27s-daughter

And if you want to catch a sneak peek of the next Cal Murphy novel, Dead Line, keep reading ...

Thanks again for taking your precious time to read this book and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Cheers,

Jack

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

844K 60.8K 44
(DARK ROMANCE THRILLER) Millicent Davis hates her life with her uncle and jumps at the chance to work for the famously rich and influential family Mo...
901 103 25
After a drunk driving accident took an innocent man's life, Brenda's father is behind bars. Her life will never be the same. With only her brother an...
124 27 26
Aspiring journalist and true-crime addict Danica Gatlin followed the disturbing mysteries of Ambrose, her suburban Ohio town, with vigor, alongside h...
299 76 22
Four Best Friends, go up and down, round and round while searching for a diamond that two of them are entitled to have. The biggest criminal of the t...