Dead Shot (A Cal Murphy Thril...

By Jack_Patterson

****NOTE: This novel is completed ... Enjoy!***** Working as a journalist at a small weekly paper in rural Id... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
DEAD LINE :: Chapter 1
Acknowledgments
About the Author
Copyright Information

Chapter 33

8.5K 418 21
By Jack_Patterson

Chapter 33

Cal heard the shot and felt the sting in his right arm almost simultaneously. He had never been shot before, nor had he imagined the searing pain that would accompany a bullet barreling into his tricep. It was such a sharp pain that it sent him sprawling toward the ground as he half tripped and half dove, hoping to avoid any other bullets whizzing his way.

Kelly dove for the ground as well. Lying on her stomach a few feet from Cal, she inched her way toward Cal while remaining on her belly. When she reached him, she frantically tried to get Cal to move. It was only about 15 yards to the dock, which had an open bay at the moment. With a gunfight breaking out, it was unlikely to stay open for long.

"Come on, Cal. We've got to move!"

Cal nodded, grimacing at the pain and the sight of blood gushing from his arm, despite pressure from his left hand. He looked more like a butcher than a reporter.

Two more bullets zipped in their direction, both off target.

Cal and Kelly scrambled for the open bay door. It took a few seconds for their eyes to adjust from the bright Idaho sunlight to the dimly lit warehouse space that was surprisingly less full than Cal anticipated. The back of the warehouse was empty and stretched into darkness for at least 300 yards. It was quickly looking like a dead end when it came to finding a place for cover.

Stacks of empty wooden pallets lined the back wall of the facility, and there was a small janitor's closet about 30 yards away.

Still no sign of anyone from inside the facility.

Cal recognized his two less-than-desirable choices: make a run for the racks and hide on top of a shelf, or hide in the janitor's closet. The burning sensation in Cal's arm along with the close proximity of the janitor's closet made Cal's decision easy.

***

Cloverdale security fanned out across the building looking for two suspects. Mel Davis, head of Cloverdale's security operation, received a phone call from one of the executives about a possible perimeter violation. A man and a woman were headed for their facility and they didn't have good intentions, at least that's what Davis was told.

The order was shoot to kill.

While he didn't mind the healthy paycheck, Mel often questioned why there was such tight security at a mid-level marketing company. Whenever he voiced his concern, he was silenced by the rehearsed chorus of managers telling him that corporate espionage is real-and if you don't take proactive steps to stop it, it will stop you.

Mel just nodded and did what he was told. This wasn't the first time he had shoot-to-kill orders, but he doubted he could pull the trigger if ever faced with one of these corporate spies.

***

From within the janitor's closet, Cal and Kelly heard the footsteps of presumed security guards racing around the building in search of them. They didn't dare speak, much less breathe.

They heard voices shouting out instructions about how they were going to sweep the facility. Then Cal heard something that lodged a lump in his throat. It was the phrase "shoot to kill."

He looked at Kelly, and, even in the darkness of a compact janitor's closet, he could see the terror in her eyes.

Cal had been careful not to bleed on the warehouse floor in order to prevent establishing an identifiable trail of blood. Kelly had added her left hand for additional pressure-and it seemed to be working at the moment.

Cal was itching to get something on his arm to clean out the wound and bandage it up. It didn't feel life threatening and he wasn't worried about it killing him. But he was worried about the untold number of armed security guards hunting them.

Most of the audible footsteps grew more distant. The search had apparently moved toward the other end of the facility. Cal and Kelly were almost feeling confident to breathe in a deep breath when slow-paced footsteps appeared to be headed straight for the janitor's closet.

Just then, Cal's iPhone buzzed. He scrambled to stop it. And then he and Kelly held their breaths. The footsteps had stopped. Right outside the closet door. Someone was blocking what little light had been seeping under the door. It was the only light Cal and Kelly had to faintly see anything in the closet. Sheer darkness matched sheer terror.

There was nothing. No movement. No sound. Just a pair of boots stationed outside the door and two occupants on the other side, holding their breath

Cal imagined the guard pressing his ear against the door and listening for any type of movement within. The pause at the door seemed to last an hour.

Then the guard jiggled the doorknob. Cal was glad he locked the door behind him but he knew this was probably the end. He cringed and prepared for the worst.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317 28 24
Due to her father's passing and financial loss, Parker Meyers and her mother have moved from their big home in New York, to the small cozy town of Ni...
3.9K 682 31
-MYSTERY- I'm dead. Deceased. Definitely not breathing. Laying in my favorite striped bikini, the one that fit the absolute best, and showed off m...
294 76 22
Four Best Friends, go up and down, round and round while searching for a diamond that two of them are entitled to have. The biggest criminal of the t...
6.2K 660 55
"The fact that I was murdered didn't come as a surprise; it was the fact that it hadn't happened sooner which shocked me." High school senior, Caitly...