just pretend

By goldnotes

Andrew is a spoiled only child who attends Whitewater Preparatory School with his girlfriend Keanu. His paren... More

Introduction
.01
.02
.03
.04
.05
.06
.07
.09
.10
.11
.12
.13
.14
.15
.16
.17
.18
.19
.20
.21
.22
.23
.24
.25
.26
.27
.28
.29
.30
.31
32.
.33

.08

25.5K 1.1K 1.6K
By goldnotes

"You've never slept over at my house," Keanu says as we sit on her couch. She's snuggled up into my chest and my arms around her.

"That's a lie. I snuck in one time."

"Oh that's right."

We don't really hang out at Keanu's place all too much. Only when we're home alone because her parents are a lot more strict about dating rules and things.

"I don't think your parents would allow it though." I move so that I'm facing her more. She as well moves off my chest to sit up and face me.

"Sure they would. They know more about you now and your family. Besides, they let me sleep at yours all the time. Worst comes to worst, spare bedroom."

"Yes because I want to sleepover all so I can sleep in another room."

She smiles lightly and nuzzles her head into my neck. "How about tonight."

I can feel her warm breath on my neck.

"I suppose."

"Great," she shoots up. "I'll call my mom right now and won't take no for an answer."

She hops up off the couch and with her phone, heads to the other rooms to call her mom. Whilst I wait, I go through the options on Netflix. She likes watching The Office but I find it just painfully awkward and the boss guy is kind of super annoying.

However, if I said that to her she would actually fight me.

She returns a bit later all giddy. "She said yeah."

"Okay. I better go home to grab clothes to sleep in because I'm not sleeping in these."

"Just wear a pair of Leo's pants."

"One, no. And two, I need a toothbrush and to change my boxers and all that shit.

"Yeah okay, fine," she mumbles.

She gives me a small peck on the lips before I hop off the couch pulling the keys out of my pocket as I go.

Once I'm outside and walking to my car parked further down in the drive way and I walk past Leo.

Neither of us say anything and I just kinda nod my head a bit.

Driving home takes a bit and I'm kind of distracted day dreaming. Somehow and luckily I didn't run into a tree or something.

I hang around the house for a bit because nobody's home. Dad is up at the cottage this weekend with mom.

Keanu should've come to my house this weekend.

I call Aleks and chat with him for like ten minutes before Keanu calls me asking where I am.

"On my way," I say before hanging up.

Sighing, I slip my shoes on before grabbing my keys. Once I'm back to my car I throw my bag into the passenger seat and drive all the way back to Keanu's house.

An hour later Keanu and I are back to lounging around the house. At no point do I see Leo which makes sense because before a couple weeks ago I'd never seen him other then family photos in which the twins are just kids.

"I think my parents were invited to your parents' cottage," Keanu says looking at her phone and walking around the kitchen island to wring her arm around me and lean forward to kiss me. "We might have the house to ourselves." She whispers into my ear. Her hot breath makes me a little uncomfortable. "Well, except for Leo but he's never home anyway."

"Speaking of? Where'd he go I saw him earlier."

"Probably the garage." She shrugs moving away from me and back into the kitchen whilst looking at her phone. "Aw crud they're not going because my nana's here this weekend."

"Garage?" I question, ignoring everything else she said.

"Yeah he spends most of his time in there."

"Doing what?" I ask. She's too distracted from looking at her phone and it's kind of annoying. "Kea?"

"Yeah? What?"

"Doing what?" I repeat clearly sounding annoyed.

"I don't know. Painting and stuff. A lot of spray paint. Parents don't let him paint inside so he's usually in there."

I get fed up when she still doesn't look up at me. Quite frankly I'm bored and wasting this weekend with a free base here doing nothing. I could invite Aleks and some people over but no I'm here.

I walk through the hallway, walking past the spare bedroom, random washroom, her moms office. This house is big enough both parents have their own separate dens. Finally I stop once I reach the garage. I don't know if I was randomly wandering or if I subconsciously made my way here, curious what Leo is doing.

Standing in front of the door I'm not sure if I should knock or not but finally I decide fuck it and open the door anyway. When I open the door I step into the bright garage. It's a three door garage with no cars. Instead spray paint covers the walls and canvases and art supplies cover every surface. Masks and spray cans in some places then paint brushes and other shit. I know for a fact art supplies are expensive and looking around this almost seems to cut close to owning a horse expenses.

I'm so mesmerized by the dynamic of the room I don't realize Leo sitting with airpods in and painting. He's sitting in a chair with a painting propped on his lap not bothering to use a desk or easel.

When I move his head shoots up and immediately he pulls out an earbud. "The fuck you doing in here Pollock?" He groans when he sees me.

I'm surprised by the use of my last name but it's not the first time he's referred to me by it. I shrug.

"Didn't you leave?"

"I had to go home to grab stuff."

"For what," he places the painting down against the leg of a desk he's not using but yet it's still covered with crap. When he looks back up I notice he's some how got blue paint on his chin and the collar of his shirt.

"She wanted me to stay over."

"This weekend?" He mutters. "Our grandmother is here this weekend."

"She just told me that too," I shrug.

He mutters something to himself before turning his attention back to me. "Whatever. Why the hell you in here? Go talk to my sister."

"She's boring."

"Let me repeat this, why the hell you in here? I don't care if she's boring, you're dating her so annoy her instead."

I don't really know why I'm here. Part of me just wants to go home.

"Leo have you-- oh there you are?" Keanu says popping her head through the door. "What're you doing in here?"

I shake my head as if shrugging and follow her back out the garage. "He's a moody prick all the time, I suggest you don't talk to him when he's in the garage. He hates being annoyed."

Later after dinner Keanu and I are talking on her bed when her mother walks in, swinging the door open. "What did I say about closed doors?"

I catch Keanu roll her eyes.

"Speaking of. Where is he sleeping tonight? Nana will be here later tonight and she has the spare room."

I want to suggest the couch but Mrs. Medero starts to talk again before I get the chance. "Leo's room."

I look to Mrs. Medero, desperately wanting to say no.

"It's so nice that you two are friends now," she smiles sweetly to me. We're not but she seems happy at the idea that we are so I don't mention anything. "Okay, that works out well. Kea you grab the extra matress."

"Mom you realize Leo is going to freaking stab you."

"Keanu, the boy already hates me I doubt this will do anything." Hearing Mrs. Medero talk about her son like that gives me a cold feeling, like she's given up. "I'd be surprised if he's even home tonight. I haven't seen him."

"He's in the garage and of course he'll be home. Nana's here this weekend."

"I suppose." Mrs. Medero sighs before turning around and leaving. I turn to Keanu ready to protest the idea of sleeping in Leo's room. I want to go home what the heck.

"The one person in this world other then his friends that Leo doesn't hate is nana," Keanu says to me. "Those two have always been super freaking close I don't know it's so odd. I've never been close with her."

I nod my head quietly. I don't talk much for the next bit, half ass listening to Keanu talk before she cuddles up next to me. Despite the door being open she doesn't hestitate to kissing my neck. I stop her once she moves her hand on my crotch.

"The door is open," I say. She just let's out a small laugh before moving away.

A bit later Leo shows up in the door frame looking livid. His expression turns to disgust when he notices Keanu and I with all are limbs entangled.

"Mom just informed me I have to share my room."

"And?"

"What the hell do you mean and? Keanu that's your fucking boyfriend why the hell do I have to share my room."

"Because mom won't let him in my room, take this argument to her I would love to have it the other way, trust me."

He snarls at her comment. "Why can't you go to his house?"

"We never sleepover here."

"Yeah, pick another weekend. Spare bedroom is occupied and speaking of nana is here this weekend and you invited him."

"You know that nana couldn't give two shits what I do. You're the only child she cares about."

"What're you being salty about. You got both mom and dad shut the hell up."

I sit awkwardly still clung onto Keanu as she argues with her brother.

"Go back to the garage where you don't bother anyone."

He barely reacts to the harsh comment but he turns around and leaves. Whenever I'm sad I'm an only child I'll remember this moment.

"Harsh much?" I say.

"Don't you tell me I'm being harsh. He's a selfish asshole who only cares about what benefits him."

I want to comment that she's the same way but I stay silent. Her mom shows up in the door frame next, demanding there be more space between us and for Keanu to go get the spare mattress. Not wanting to be alone with Mrs. Medero I follow Keanu and help.

I've also never been in Leo's room. When Keanu opens the door to the dark empty room, she flicks on the light to reveal a surprisingly bland room. There's absolutely no personalization to the room. Blue walls, black king size bed and one old worn out dresser.

"The only time he's ever in here is to sleep, on the nights he's actually home."

Keanu and I both lay the mattress down and she leaves to go grab sheets. I flop down onto the mattress and look around the room. Spotless. Not a single item of clothing on the floor. No knickknacks or anything.

"Sometimes I catch my mom in here," Keanu says when she returns, kicking the door shut behind her. "Just sitting in here acting like her son is dead."

I get up so she can put the bed sheets on. Finally when she's done she falls down onto her back and sighs.

"We used to share a room when we were younger despite the numerous spare rooms in this house. We were both just too scared to be alone." She just stares up at the ceiling and it feels more or less she's reminiscing and thinking out loud rather then telling me this. "We had a lot of fun when we were younger. Even when we were in middle school and had our own rooms I'd go to his late at night, the door would creak open and I'd climb into bed with him. I miss that." She looks to me and frowns, leaving me stuck for words. How do I respond to that?

"Sorry," she says standing up. "Didn't mean to become all sappy and crap." She's never been too affectionate and typically doesn't like sappy or cheesy things. "Let's go brush our teeth." She flashes a smile and I follow behind her.

After we brush our teeth we watch tv on the main floor for a bit before we both decide to go to bed. Her grandmother isn't showing up till twelve. Apparently she's getting off a flight.

It's eleven and I lay on the mattress staring at the ceiling. I have no idea where Leo is. That's a lie, I now know he's always in the garage doing whatever.

I can't seem to sleep. I'm in an empty room I've never been in before. On top of that I can't seem to shake what Keanu was talking about. She's talked about how close her and Leo used to be all the time but it's different now that I know Leo.

As if on cue I hear the door creak open and light leak into the room. I sit up and Leo is in the doorframe.

"Damn, was kinda hoping you were already asleep," he says. His voice doesn't sound as annoyed as before, like he's in a better mood.

He closes the door behind him and through the dark walks over to his bed.

It's silent, which is normal considering we're both trying to sleep but somehow it's an awkward silence.

What feels like forever passed by. When I check my phone it's only forty minutes.

"You still awake?" I ask.

"Yes," I hear him grumble.

I sit up, completely awake and dreading the idea of having to lay back down to try and fall asleep.

"I'm bored."

"Okay."

I groan before falling backwards, being dramatic.

"You're annoying." His voice is muffled, like his face is in a pillow.

"This is why I hate sleepovers. I can't walk around the house when I'm not tired."

"I hate them when the person sleeping over is not my choice and then they continue to be annoying."

"Sometimes you're chill and making jokes and sometimes you're a miserable prick and that's annoying."

I can hear him move, and by now my eyes have adjusted to the dark so I can see him sitting up.

"I am miserable when Kea throws this shit on me."

Out of boredom I stand up and walk towards the window. I peer down the two stories trying to visualize how the hell someone would sneak out.

"The beam supporting Kea's balcony is good for climbing down," he mutters as if he knew what I was thinking.

Of course he knows how to sneak out.

Out of impulse I just slide the window open and take the screen out.

"Woah whatcha doing?"

"I'm bored and I feel like looking at the stars. Innocent enough, I'm not sneaking out."

"Climbing out of a two story high window at night will never not classify as sneaking out, even if it is to look at stars."

"Whatever, you have fun waiting to fall asleep."

I successfully climb out the window and walk on the roof. On this side of the house it's on an angle and I have to hold onto the wall as I walk. There's a roof even higher up but I don't bother climbing onto it. Instead I sit down and lean back to look up at the sky.

Part of me wants to get Keanu's attention but my phone is on the bed and I have nothing to throw at her balcony window.

Instead I look up at the sky. I know absolutely nothing about stars except what my dad has taught me. He's always tried his best to pass his knowledge onto me. Make sure that I'm the perfect child.

He's one of those parents who want me to carry out everything they never got to. I don't bother fighting it because it's how him and I bond. My mom and I are a lot more affectionate. She'll enter my room and sit next to me and talk to me or run her fingers through my hair. I'm her only son. Her baby boy, she constantly says.

I can't imagine having a relationship with my mom like Leo does. His mother seems to given up trying to help him and he seems to argue everything she wants for him. His father has more power. Leo doesn't listen to his mom but I think Mr. Medero can be scary when he's mad.

"It's kind of chilly," I hear Leo say. I look over to where he's popped his head out the window.

I just shrug, turning back to look at the sky. He never climbs out of the window but he does stay leaning on the frame for a while.

We stay like this till we get tired.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

285 75 25
Childhood best friend, his love turned to hate, a new attractive neighbour that is a major nuisance, and his step sisters tutor. Angelo and Jared ar...
3 1 9
In a prep school for the rich and famous, scandals await for them. What happens when school's most irresistible heartthrobs want to make them theirs...
2K 362 28
Collin lives the good life. He is rich, has everything he needs and his parents will do anything for him, but when you live on the Rich Side, having...
40.8K 1.4K 34
In an all boys boarding school surrounded by football players 18 year olds Alex, Sam, Jason and Parker have two years left in school. Two years, to f...