He Came From The Wild

By ellarose12

It is a common practice that when one Alpha challengers another, the defeated wolf can either be banished int... More

He Came From The Wild
Chapter One | Crash Landing
Chapter Two | A New World
Chapter Three | Canine Companion
Chapter Four | Making Friends
Chapter Five | Among Wolves
Chapter Six | Decisions, Decisions
Chapter Seven | Goodbyes
Chapter Eight | Meeting Monsters
Chapter Nine | Don't Let Go.
Chapter Ten | Game On
Chapter Eleven | Presents
Chapter Twelve | Fun Times
Chapter Thirteen | Her Story
Chapter Fourteen | Back to Work
Chapter Fifteen | Back to School
Chapter Sixteen | Girl Talk.
Chapter Seventeen | Competition
Chapter Eighteen | She's My Home.
Chapter Nineteen | House Guest.
Chapter Twenty | Fate. Love. Mate?
Chapter TwentyOne | Perfume.
Chapter TwentyTwo | Suit Up.
Chapter TwentyThree | Nicholas.
Chapter TwentyFour | World Keeps Turning
Chapter TwentyFive | Falling To Pieces
Chapter TwentySix | Set It Free.
Chapter TwentySeven | She Runs With Wolves.
Chapter TwentyEight | Thinking. A Lot.
Chapter TwentyNine | Back Home.
Chapter Thirty | Four out of Five.
Chapter ThirtyOne | Recovery.
Chapter ThirtyTwo | Allies and Enemies
Chapter ThirtyThree | Number Five: Acceptance.
He Came From The Wild | Epilogue.
Raised By Wolves

Chapter ThirtyFour | Closure.

13.8K 793 98
By ellarose12

The sound of a howl stopped Cody in his tracks. All his senses were in overdrive as he paused, and keenly listened, trying to decipher the message. One by one the others grouped around him, daring to take a break as the length of their pink tongues rolled out of their mouths.  A cloud of warm air hovered about the animals, their chests heaving with the effort of breathing after the run.

They weren't made to keep that pace for that long, but luck was on their side as they had neared their destination. The black wolf inhaled sharply, and as the leader of their group; Cody answered the call. Knowing that there wasn't much further to go, a new energy coursed through the pack, urging them on.

Braydon's muscles began to burn and just like the others, adrenaline pumped through his veins like a drug, urging him on. Leaving the country side, the humans in passing cars all looked twice at the sight of the wolves running down the side of road. Some mistook them for dogs, wild and feral - suicidal even as they dared to run among the traffic to change sides.

Another howl soon sounded in reply, reaching their ears  as they ran. It was clearly heard to the wolves despite the hum of cars and occasional beeping horns. The group soon returned to the softer terrain further off the road, and Cody knew they were nearly there. If Connor hadn't called when he did, they would have kept on in the wrong direction, but why or how they were so far off course worried him.

It didn't take long for lights of the service station to appear, guiding them on wards. Cody didn't care if humans saw them and falling into line, they also didn't care about the police lights flashing red and blue in the night while the officers gathered statements from the few witnesses who had seen Miranda be loaded into the van and taken away.  The wolves were right not to worry about the humans as no one saw them go by, even if a few commented on the howls that weren't common in these parts. 

The steady trot that they had adopted was forgotten the second Cody was able to scent Bianca and  coming across the truck stop, the stench of death and blood greeted them. So did the grey and white wolf who leaped out of the backseat of the old style sedan. Connor was nearly crawling in the dirt as he approached Cody, his tail wagging so fast that the first was turned to dust behind him, yet the black wolf barely acknowledged it's sibling.

"Cody!" Bianca called out, leaving her place in the passenger seat in the front.

He shifted instantly at the sight of her, nearly crushed Bianca in his arms as he seemed to fold himself around her smaller form.

"You're okay?" He asked desperately, unable to get in the air his lungs demanded quick enough. 

His hands ran lower, gently caressing the space his son occupied as relief took over from the fear he'd been running with the whole way there.

"We're fine. We have a clean up to take off, and," Bianca paused, looking over the group, "Where is Braydon?"

"He's-" Cody spun around to find him gone, "Shit!"

"They took her, and the idiots thought they'd be able to kill us" Bianca led him over to the van and pulled open the door.

Sure enough, the others Nicholas had sent after Connor and Bianca were now left in the back, each filled with carefully placed bullets that ended their lives. 

"You, deal with this." Cody turned to one of Dean's wolves and the creature nodded, returning to human form he found himself something to wear from the dead.

"He must have sensed her if we passed them, I didn't even notice!" Cody growled, knowing it was because he was more focused on Bianca than those around him. 

"Don't blame yourself, even if you had tried to stop him, I doubt you could have!' Bianca tried to reassure him.

Cody went to shift and again, Bianca stopped him.

"No, we'll drive. They'll sense us quicker if we're wolf and you all need a break."

Without another word they piled into the car with Connor once again driving and went back in the direction of Nicholas's territory.

-x-

On aching paws, Braydon finally stopped walking. His breaths came out in a rumble before a low whine escaped him as he yawned - his teeth snapping together as his jaws shut. In seconds they were back open, panting heavily as he refused to admit the desperate sprint here was stupid on his behalf. He just needed a few minutes that he didn't actually have, to get his breath back. 

 The red lights of the van he'd chased disappeared over the hill, the dust on the dirt road already settled by the time he carried on after it, thanks to his slower pace. The fact he was alone didn't bother him how it should have. He'd been alone for a decent portion of his life and since the others had carried on without him, Braydon decided they were just slowing him down. If he hadn't gone with his gut feeling, he would have lost Miranda and that thought alone had him pushing on.

Familiar scents began to taint the air and his wolf absorbed each one; pinpointing it all to memories Braydon didn't know he even still had.

Pack.

Family.

Nicholas.

Braydon had learned that his fathers old territory was lost. Bianca's mate had ended up chasing Nicholas out of what had once been Braydons home, leaving the Alpha with barely a quarter of what it used to be. He was lucky the pack wasn't wiped out completely and given the option to conform or go into exile. With Damon now gone and Dean in charge, the packs affected had been able to go back to some kind of normalcy and were no longer ruled by a tyrant.

Now Braydon saw what his old pack was left with. Well, what Nicholas was left with. In nearby suburbs the pack would live among humans and the Alpha's property, which was set far from main roads and surrounded by old farm land and trees, would be where they came to be wolves.

The van Braydon had been following, was parked to the side of a shed, and large spotlight on the roof lit up the night. The house caught Braydon's attention as another familiar scent hit his nose; Carolina. Out on the porch of the colonial style abode, she stood by Nicholas, who was frantically pointing at the shed.

A pack of four wolves appeared from down the side and were soon spreading out in Braydon's direction; Nicholas's first line of defence. All of that was forgotten as the grinding screech of the shed door was rolled open and instantly Braydon bristled at the sight of Manuel. 

First things first.

Braydon laid in wait as the first wolf on patrol came near him and giving over to a primal instinct to kill, he didn't have enough time to think over and regret his actions as the animal barely managed to defend itself. While Braydon had been out of the pack for some time, he was still related to Nicholas and this advantage would make his scent foreign, yet it wasn't out of place enough to make it easy to detect.

With only one wolf left, Braydon already his what white fur he had stained red, and as the short bark like howl was sent out to the packs companions, Braydon used it to his advantage and found the wolf that much quicker. Since this female was already alert, she was prepared for an attack, and her teeth managed to get a grip on his chest. It didn't help her, as Braydon's jaws were soon on her neck and with a vicious tug, she met the same fate as her pack mates.

"She claims she doesn't know about what we are." Manuel told the other two, instantly capturing Braydon's attention. "If she was running around with that bitch, that has to be a lie."

"Well, how about we make it impossible for her to deny?" Nicholas left the porch and with the other two following him, went back towards the shed.

"What if we just let her go? This isn't-" Carolina started only to have Nicholas turn on her.

"No! You don't get to keep making the demands and then change your fucking mind, again! I told you we should just let it go, but a certain little bitch refused to walk away. It's too late now sweetheart, this ends with them dead or it won't ever!" He roared, each word leaving his mouth with a spray of spit as he was close to loosing control.

Tonight had already deviated from the original plans and he wasn't risking any more mistakes. Especially if it was his life on the line. He stood there glaring at her, while Manuel watched on hopelessly knowing that Nicholas was right. They were past the time to be able to walk away now and the human tied up in the shed was evidence of that.

Carolina swallowed her pride and fear, grimly nodding at him that she understood. That resolve left her though as they approached Miranda. The rope had her wrists circled in red, tied much to tight around the metal frame of the chair. Luckily the jeans she had on saved her ankles from such a fate, yet due to how still Miranda was sitting, it had still hurt enough to stop her from trying to escape.

Biting her lip, Carolina cringed internally at the bruising already taking over one side of the blonde's face. Her father had been right when he told her all of this wasn't who she was. How they even got this point was not beyond Carolina's comprehension and she had to admire the woman as she raised her chin defiantly and glared at them as they approached. She presumed Miranda either didn't know the seriousness of the situation or was stronger than Carolina had given the human credit for. 

While everyone was getting acquainted, Braydon slunk low to the ground and made his way towards the shed. A few humans and wolves ran around the yard, a couple more on bikes as they set up their patrol and defence ready for a threat that was already there. His body buzzing with the anticipation of another fight and it woudn't be much longer until the bodies were discovered; if they hadn't been already. Judging by the lack of commotion, he knew they hadn't. Braydon made it past the house with no problems and he finally stopped again in the shadows by the shed, keenly listening to the drama that had already started to unfold inside.

"Fine! But how fucking stupid are you, to think that I didn't know this whole time?" Miranda snapped at her captors and the growl that came from Manuel, who had shifted in front of her - did little to phase her.

"You're quite mouthy for someone in your situation," Nicholas pointed out thoughtfully.

"Yeah, well aren't you a little calm for someone in yours?" She retorted.

He only laughed. "You are on your own now little girl!"

Nicholas moved to lean against the chair that Miranda had been tied into, turning serious his tone as deadly. 

"I killed your friend. She's not so mighty now she is with pup; my pack enjoyed taking revenge on that bitch who killed a fellow Alpha. While she begged for her life to be spared, she told them her biggest regret was showing weakness and helping you!" He hissed.

"You're delusional to think that your pack actually managed to kill her. Besides Cody and Braydon are coming, and she will be the last of your problems when they get to you!" 

"What makes you so sure they are coming? It doesn't matter anyway, you'll be dead before they get here!" Nicholas left Miranda who began to struggle against her restraints, and looked at Carolina. "She's all yours. Make it quick, I've wasted enough time with this and we need to be ready for when company arrives."

Manuel nudged Carolina's leg before turning to follow Nicholas and as the door shut behind them, there was only the two females left. Neither said anything, for a few minutes, instead staring each other down. Surprisingly, it was Carolina who caved first, slowly pacing up back and forth in front of Miranda, who only sat there silently, trying to keep calm.

"I should kill you." Carolina finally spoke, turning to face her one time rival.

Miranda was positive the frantic beating of her heart would be enough of an answer for the she-wolf, and finally her fear began to taint the air. What self defence she had been taught by Taylor and Bianca for dealing with shifters in wolf form was pointless now. The lessons her father gave her on using a gun and basic hand to hand combat was even more useless. No one ever told Miranda how to get out of a chair when you were tied down, just like they never told her how much it actually hurt to be punched in the face.

"The feeling is mutual."  Miranda retorted.

"Do you think I won't do it?" Came the challenge, and the she-wolf enjoyed seeing the human squirm.

"Why do you want to? What's it going to solve?" 

"With you gone, there will be nothing stopping the mate bond-"

Miranda cut Carolina off, laughing bitterly. "You're delusional and besides, Nicholas will kill you and your father once I'm out the way. Probably Braydon too."

"He wouldn't! He needs us, he needs me and Braydon!" Carolina snapped, tempted to simply shoot Miranda now. There was no denying the hint of panic to her tone and so Miranda went with it.

"He really doesn't. They were talking in the van. He only got involved to eliminate his competition. With Braydon out of exile, surely the Alpha's son would want to take his fathers place right?"

"No, not all Alpha young end up as Alpha's too!"

"But he doesn't know Braydon now, he thought he was nothing more than a weak young pup who shifted early and would be dead or long gone, but he survived and not only that, is now living not too far from his territory!" The more Miranda made stuff up, the more she realised she could actually be on to something.

So did Carolina.

"I didn't actually want this. I wasn't thinking right and got sucked into Nicholas's plan. I just wanted my mate." She admitted, her chin dropping to her chest as the weight of all her bad decisions became heavy on her shoulders.

"Then don't. It's not too late, let me go and we can stop him!" Miranda urged, unable to let go of the pity she had for the she-wolf. 

Miranda had great sympathy Carolina, and while every one makes mistakes, not all of them end with a human hostage and shifters going on a killing spree. She knew she'd never understand the pain Carolina felt as a shifter, but she had her own experience to relate back on and it was hell. The time she and Braydon had spent apart had been torture. Now they were only closer, bonded, and to lose him now, well death would be an easier option.

"I was wrong in saying those things before Carolina, you're not a rotten, evil person. You were hurting, desperate. I do understand, and I know you want to make it right." Holding her breath, Miranda waited for the she-wolf to respond.

"No, you were right. I am all those horrible things. I put the pups at risk, I've been neglecting them because of my own selfishness. If anyone dies tonight, it's my fault and I- I- I'm sorry!" She admitted.

Carolina's cheeks soon glistened with tears as she fell to her knees before Miranda. She was back at the start; confused, weak, broken. To curl up in bed and hibernate until she could manage to exist again without all thoughts going to the mate who doesn't want her, was all Carolina wanted and meeting Miranda's gaze, she understood for the second time that night, why Braydon had chosen her. Maybe humans weren't so weak, because right now, the one who was in control wasn't the wolf shifter.

"It'll be okay, now how about you let me up and we can work on getting out of here before anyone else is hurt?" Miranda suggested.

Using the back of her sleeve, Carolina wiped her eyes and her nose before slowly standing up. "I'm really sorry Miranda, but Nick is right. It's gone too far now."

Pulling out the revolver from where it had been tucked in the back of her pants, Carolina stepped back and took aim. Miranda couldn't think, move, feel - everything shut down as she stared down the barrel of the deadly weapon.

"I wish it was that simple and I wish I was a better person. So I let you go, we get out of this and then what? I go back to my life knowing the one person who is supposed to love me, is out there somewhere with you?" Her tone hardened and the reckless look in Carolina's eyes didn't help Miranda's fear. "You ruined everything for me, and if nothing else, I get the satisfaction of seeing you suffer for all you put me through!"

Miranda was speechless. All she could do was stare at the gun and watch the way the tip wobbled up and down as Carolina' was unable to hold it steady. She didn't want to do this, but maybe, by eliminating Miranda, she could move on. Deep down she knew Braydon would never forgive her, if he survived that is - and  some how Carolina found peace with that.

If Braydon wasn't with her, it was better to be alone than to know that he was with Miranda.

"Forgive me!" Carolina mumbled, her hand shaking violently as her voice broke with emotion.

Wide eyed and pleading, Miranda didn't drop Carolina's gaze, and the world seemed to vanish form around them as if there was nothing left now. Carolina's finger twitched against the trigger, and as she gulped down her own fear, it was loud enough for the people outside to hear. A breathless sob escaped her as she charged forward, resting the cool tip against Miranda's forehead, yet that barely registered in Miranda's mind. 

All she could hear was her heart beating loud in her ears while black spots began to cloud her vision. Miranda no longer fought against her restraints, instead gripping onto the metal bar like that could save her and slowly she closed her eyes, thinking only of her parents, her family, Rory and Abby. What would Emma do when she found out her Aunty Andy wasn't going to visit her ever again? Would Rory be able to take her place at work?

And Jason. What about him? Rewinding the clock and going back to her rescue, Braydon could have stayed in the wild. Miranda would have finally been with Jason and instead of being tied to a chair at gunpoint, what would she be doing now? Sleeping in his bed after a long day at work or would they still be awake, watching a late night news program or doing other things, together? Would none of that ever happened and she'd still be in her apartment, wishing her life was different and that she didn't feel so lonely and lost all the time?

Then Miranda thought of Braydon. She instantly felt herself smile thinking about his awkwardness with practically everything and his smile when she had got him that stupid Playstation. She thought about the way he helped her during the flight home and what ever it was that pulled them together in the forest. If he had never left the wild and come home with her, she'd never have known it was possible to feel like kind of love she did for him. Miranda would give anything to go home with Braydon  now, curl up on the sofa with reheated dishes of her Mothers cooking and watch that Batman movie for the millionth time. She'd even watch it, properly, for the whole length of the film and not even groan when he'd put on the second one or ask if it was okay to watch it again because he loved it that much.

Braydon.

A single tear escaped Miranda as she waited for the inevitable, unable to stop herself as she realised there wouldn't be any more movie nights and super hero talk. One gave way to two, which soon had her as wet faced as Carolina who couldn't stop her hand from shaking or bring herself to actually pull the trigger.

While Miranda was still trying to understand and learn about the mate bond that was developing between her and Braydon,she tried as best she could to think only of Braydon, and even Wolfy. She focused on all the good, from waking up in the tree with Wolfy as her pillow, to the last time Braydon had her calling out his name as they made love. All the positive energy she could muster was sent his way, and she hoped it was enough of a goodbye, just something, to connect them at the end of their journey. Bianca had said she'd know if something happened to him, and Miranda knew he had to feel something happening to her, so she wanted it to be as good as it could be before the pain of the end.

Pulling herself together, Carolina took a deep breath and flicked the little latch on the curve at the top; the bullet in position before speaking again, more to herself as she was clearly still debating her next move.  "It has to be this way. I'm sorry!"

Miranda barely nodded in response, more focused on the world in her mind. When the shot rang out, again and again, she was surprised to feel her body react in shock and surprise, shuddering as if someone had come up from behind her and scared her. There wasn't any pain, yet she could hear screaming, grinding, yelps and more gun shots. 

Was she dead?

She didn't feel dead, but then again she didn't really know what would be like. Forcing her eyes open, the dim light of the empty shed was instead taken over by a white, clean light from outside. Was she supposed to go to the light? Considering she was still tied to the chair, she didn't know how she was going to get there.

In a rush of activity and movement, Miranda got her hearing back and could hear the shouts from outside. The wolves ran by the door, no one even looking in her direction; just like the few people too. More shots were fired outside, and the scream that followed had her blood running cold as anxiety began to eat away at her stomach.

The scene Miranda could only hear, was one Braydon could only watch. He'd been spotted the second he'd gone to try and open the shed door and after returning to wolf form, he had started to fight Manuel. Braydon could tell the older shifter was holding back, why he didn't know, but he didn't like it. More had come then, human and wolf alike circling them. As a few others jumped in, Braydon and Manuel had been quick to end their lives, which caught Nicholas's attention inside the house where he was telling Braydon's Aunt what was happening.

It had only taken him seconds to work out what was going on and so Nicholas got rid of problem number one; Manuel. 

Now everyone stood in morbid fascination as Carolina had abandoned Miranda and had fallen over her fathers limp body, sobbing hysterically. Hoping to use the distraction to get away, Braydon took a few slow, hesitant steps back and the air of uncertainty that filled the space around them disguised the trouble approaching.

The pack didn't let Braydon get very far, circling him like a fish in a net as Nicholas approached.

"Hello Braydon."

All the wolf did in response was drop his head, and the snarl that vibrated through it's body was savage. He kept low, ready to pounce as his hackles stood to their full potential down his spine and rather than show any sign of submission, his tail curled proudly in dominance. Braydon wasn't the scared thirteen year old anymore and as he snapped his jaws in Nicholas's direction, it was obvious he meant war.

"I'm not your enemy here. I was forced to do this, by her!" Turning, he pointed at Carolina who hadn't left her fathers side, oblivious as to what was going on. "I tried to save Miranda, honestly, but-" 

It was then the warning howls of Braydon's back up interrupted the moment and Nicholas made his biggest mistake; he showed fear. Braydon knew enough to know it wasn't just Carolina making the plans and if Nicholas thought he could talk his way out of this, he was way off point.

Braydon used the distraction to his advantage and charging forward, his jaws wrapped around his Uncle's forearm. There was no holding back as he bit down, hard, and the scream of agony had the pack even more unsettled. No one could intervene if it was an Alpha challenge, and this is what they saw it as. 

Nicholas lost his grip on the gun, throwing a punch to the side of Braydon's head, the wolf had to let go as the pain shot across his skull. In seconds the Alpha shifted, set on destroying his competition and the rest of the pack turned on the new arrivals as they came running down from the bushes.

Within the chaos, Carolina stayed by her father, unable to do much as else as the grief had her numb. She instantly found Braydon with Nicholas and the scent of the wolves were easily identified as those from Dean's pack. None of it mattered though. She knew where she went wrong, seeing the errors of her way too late and this was the outcome of that. Looking back at the fighting relatives, Carolina knew that her selfish, recklessness could even end with Braydon dead and Miranda- Miranda.

'Help her. She needs us now.' Carolina listened to her wolf, knowing she was right. 

As much as Carolina hated Miranda, and who she was to Braydon, she didn't deserve this and months ago when she had told Braydon she wanted to see him happy above all else - she did mean it. So now she had to try and make it up to them, even if it hurt. Carolina needed the closure it would bring, the redemption of finally doing the right thing and with a strangled gasp, she reluctantly left her father and got back into the shed.

At the sight of the she-wolf Miranda screamed even louder for help, positive this time what ever was happening out there wouldn't be enough of a distraction to save her. Braydon was out there, she knew it and yet he may have been back at home by how far that now seemed to her.

"Stop screaming, I'm going to get you out of here!" Carolina snapped at Miranda; her voice hoarse from her own screams minutes before.

"What?" Miranda asked in disbelief.

I- I can't do it, and, and-" Carolina kept stuttering, not making much sense at all to either of them.

The second her hands were free, Miranda worked on her right leg while Carolina freed the left and the second she could stand, Miranda was up and running to the exit with Carolina right behind her, until they all nearly collided with Bianca and Connor in his wolf form. 

Instantly he went for Carolina, and as Bianca went to usher Miranda out, she stopped her.

"Connor, no! She's trying to help!" Miranda argued.

"You're kidding right?" Bianca growled as Connor stood over Carolina, spit dripping from his jaws.

"No, let her up!" Moving over to Connor, Miranda shoved him aside and offered her hand to held Carolina stand.

"You don't have to be nice to me!" Carolina managed to keep an inch of pride about her, hating Miranda even more.

"Trust me, this is as far as it goes." Miranda snapped, glaring at the other woman before following Connor and Bianca outside.

Despite being able to hear the growls and fighting, seeing it had Miranda frozen in place as she desperately tried to find Braydon. There were too many wolves, and while Miranda couldn't find Braydon - he found her. The second she had stepped outside he had seen her and so did Nicholas.

"Come on Andy, we gotta move!" Bianca ordered, grabbing Miranda's arm to drag her away from the battle. That didn't mean Bianca didn't check for Cody and since he was okay, she was willing to keep moving. "I've got a car over here!"

The four kept going and with Connor leading the way, Carolina kept urging Miranda to go from behind. That wasn't how Braydon saw it though, and his need to get to her went to a new level, especially when Nicholas took off in their direction.

Braydon struggled to keep up, fatigue finally starting to take over and as Connor left the trio to by them some time, Nicholas was in a different league to the younger, smaller wolf. Cody rushed to his brothers aid, and as Cody knocked Nicholas down, Braydon let himself go, pouncing onto the other wolf, his nails dug in as he hugged the animal as if he were a deer and went in for the kill.

Bianca, Miranda and Carolina stood in shock and awe as the fight was finished. They weren't the only ones as all around the wolves separated. The Alpha was down and he wasn't getting back up.

"Braydon!" Miranda shattered the silence that fell over the yard, sprinting towards him as he staggered in her direction on shaky legs.

His coat was wet with saliva, and blood - more his than anything else now and as Miranda skidded to a stop, she fell to her knees and threw her arms around his neck. Braydon managed to whine before he fell against her.  Miranda placed soft, gentle strokes across his cheek and down his neck, trying to stop herself from crying as she leaned over him; holding him as best she could without hurting him.

"Im here, you're okay, we're okay!" She kept repeating to him, as Braydon couldn't even find the energy to shift.

Cody went to Bianca, checking her over as Connor stood by them. One by one the others inched closer, curious of what was to happen now. Their distraction gave Nicholas enough time to shift and seeing one of the discarded weapons, wasn't going to let his nephew live. The wound at his neck was lethal, and with each beat of his heart he felt the darkness creeping in, and with a final grunt of energy he managed to crawl through the dirt and with great difficulty, he managed to prop himself up. His arm was already badly damaged, and with his good one - he took aim.

It was Carolina who noticed first, and as Nicholas did what she couldn't and pulled the trigger; she sprung forward and as she hit the dirt, pain tore through her chest as if she had just been struck by lightning.

Miranda screamed, shielding Braydon as best she could from an attack she didn't see and it was Cody who was the next to move, finishing off the human that much quicker as his claws ripped through Nicholas's abdomen and his jaws viciously sunk into the wound in his neck. With a gurgling gasp, Nicholas fell once more, for ever this time.

Daring to look up, Miranda's heart broke seeing Carolina clutching her stomach as she rolled flat onto her back. Braydon felt Carolina's distress; they were mates after all and as Miranda stood, he struggled to follow her, not willing to leave her side ever again.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Miranda cursed under her breath, clueless as what to do now. 

She knew first aid, but never expected to be faced with something like this.

"Let her go Miranda, she doesn't deserve your kindness!" Dean announced, walking through the wolves. No one had even seen his car arrive and as Miranda took Carolina's bloodied hand in hers she refused to listen.

"I will be the judge of that!" She managed to get out, biting her lip in concentration as she took off her jacket and tried to compress the wound.

Miranda didn't see the look shared between the wolves; and Braydon. It was survival of the fittest and in a species that were deeply loyal, her betrayal and actions did not have Carolina deemed as worthy of help or assistance. Had Miranda not been there, she would have been left to die on her own accord, alone.

"She helped me, she was sorry. You all have mates, and should understand how this all is for her!" Miranda argued, meeting Carolina's gaze, a truce had definitely been called between them now. "I forgive her!"

"You know if the situation was reversed, she would have already left you?" Bianca stepped forward, dropping down beside Miranda; understanding despite not feeling any sympathy for the she-wolf.

"I know, but she isn't a bad person. None of us asked for any of this." Keeping calm, and determined, Miranda realised no help would come for Carolina.

"She's. S-she's right. Leave me to die!" Carolina coughed, wincing before her eyes rolled back into her head and her laboured breaths struggled to keep going.

"I don't know a lot about shifters and your ways, but I am human and it's our nature to forgive and to try."

Braydon nudged Miranda's arm and turning to face him, he knew Miranda was right in what she was doing. It was why he hated what they were; packs and their stupid primitive laws. Enough blood had been shed tonight, and while a fragment of him was pained to witness Carolina's death, the rage he felt at Miranda being put at risk outweighed it. Yet here Miranda was, showing kindness to the one who had wanted her dead and had caused them nothing but trouble. He couldn't bring himself to look past all of that, not yet at least. She was his mate, but Miranda was something else.

She was home.

Bianca looked at Connor and nodded, the wolf disappearing before coming back with a first aid kit. "Did you bring a doctor Dean?"

"Yes, but Bianca-"

"Miranda, leave us. We will do what we can." Bianca made her orders clear and a limping Braydon stayed by Miranda's side as a couple of Dean's pack that had arrived with him came over.

The doctor took Miranda's place and one of the others with him, went to Miranda. He sat her down in Bianca's car, and checked what injuries she did have before giving Braydon an injection that had him struggling to stay awake. The constant stroking from Miranda was enough to give him confirmation it was all okay and he stopped fighting, just for a minute, as sleep took over.

-x-

Maybe Miranda was stupid. Maybe she was too human for her own good, but either way she entered the hospital with her head held high and the bouquet of roses in her hand. What ever happened now, she knew Carolina was on borrowed time. Dean wanted her dead, Bianca shared his thoughts and Braydon understood Miranda's views enough to convince them to let her live. 

Pulling open the blue curtain, Miranda managed a smile despite the sadness in her eyes and Carolina managed to return it.

"Hi."

"Hi."

Miranda sat the roses down on the bedside table before awkwardly sitting in the chair beside the bed. Braydon would kill her if he knew she had skipped on work today to come here. Two weeks after that night, Carolina was finally starting to heal and Miranda had seen the doctors report on the she-wolfs condition. It was taking so long because she didn't want to fix herself.

"I hope you like roses." Miranda fidgeted with her hands, smoothing out her skirt before finally looking at Carolina again.

"I do. Thank you."

"The doctor said you're starting to heal a little quicker now."

"I can't convince my wolf to let us die." She answered rather somberly.

Miranda bit her lip, deep in thought before shaking her head. "I can't imagine what this is like for you, but I feel responsible despite it all being out of my hands. I hope you understand that I never planned for any of it. You're a strong, proud, shifter Carolina; you will get through this."

"I want to believe you. I do. I just, I just don't know what to do now. My Dad is gone. My mate is gone. I'm alone, with one of the most dangerous shifters in the country eager to see me die and an Alpha with one of the largest packs around siding with her. My options are kind of limited."

"The way I see it, all of this was fate. You will get better and you will go somewhere new, start again. It sounds crazy, but I do believe everything happens for a reason. Before the plane crash, I wasn't happy. I was stuck in a routine, thinking I was in love with someone who couldn't have been more wrong for me, trying to be someone I wasn't. Braydon found me when I didn't even know how lost I had become and we saved each other."

Carolina listened. Really listened, as she was able to see past her hate and jealously.

"The most important lessons we have to learn are never easy, and I think this was yours as much as it was ours. In time, I know you will meet your true mate Carolina. You will find your place and pack and your home."

"I really want to believe that!" Any walls she had up crumbled as Carolina bought the fairy tale Miranda was selling her. "You know, for a human you're not so bad."

"Well as a she-wolf who had tried to kill me, you're not so bad either." Miranda smiled, standing she carefully reached out to hug her ex-rival who hugged her in return. "I'm not coming back again Carolina. Braydon doesn't even know I'm here now, or that I came a couple of days ago. I just wanted the air to be clean between us and I really do wish you all the best."

"Thank you. Look after him okay, well I know you will. I owe you my life, and I promise to honor that."

"I'm glad. Goodbye Carolina." Miranda picked up her bag and the sadness was gone from her eyes as she smiled one final time.

"Goodbye Miranda."

Walking out of the hospital, the sun emerged from behind the clouds. After days of rain, the bad weather finally seemed to be breaking and once she got home, Miranda came clean to Braydon about her visits with Carolina.

"I still don't understand why you would do that!" Braydon couldn't bring himself to be angry about it. 

Especially since Miranda had wrapped herself around him and was nestled against his chest; safe.

"You don't need to," she sighed, daring to lift her head from the curve of his shoulder, "I love you."

"I love you too, but-"

Miranda silenced Braydon with a kiss, and as she held him tighter with him returning the gesture,  Miranda couldn't help think about what she had told Carolina at the hospital about fate intervening to make sure you end up where you belong. Miranda had been lucky enough to come across the one person who was as lost and as lonely as she was and by finding Braydon, she found herself, just like he found his place too. 

"No buts.  Just, I love you!" She smiled.

Braydon didn't answer, scooping her up instead as he carried her upstairs.

"Let me go! Rory is coming over tonight!" Miranda protested.

It was a rather big night as they were about to share Braydon's super powers with him.

"Yeah tonight, that still gives us three hours!" He argued, and Miranda couldn't find any fault with his logic.

"Fine. Maybe two, because I need start dinner and Chad will be home from school around then too!"

Braydon only laughed, before dumping her on their bed. All the hours in the world wouldn't be enough, but as long as they were together, it didn't really matter.

-----

So what did you think of that ending? Epilogue coming.....  :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.9K 1.7K 32
Pack destroyed. Father dead, mother dead, sister dead. Little Brayden is left alone. If it weren't for the teenage Alpha that finds him and takes him...
285K 13K 44
Complete. Rootbridge Pack - Book one. She's on the run. He's living a normal life. She's being chased by shadows - haunted by memories. He's just ha...
801K 26.6K 48
A werewolf. A mate. The cliche alpha rejects his mate story. But it's all too real for Charlie. Where can she even go? Her pack pretty much ignores h...
11.8K 517 14
//Completed // I turned around and looked at the door. My brother was standing there, smiling at me. "Hey Lorcan," I cautiously walked up to him, hu...