Endless

By adelaidebordeau

*2021 Watty Award Shortlister* ** I scanned his face, taking in all of his features. His eyes were large, sho... More

The Party
Shirts
A Run In
The Opinions of Friends
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Confusion
Changing A Bandage & Making Plans
Movie Night
Parachute
Pancakes & Boxers
Whenever You're Ready
Panic
Falling In & Pillow Fights
Kiss or Miss
Hotels & Admission
They Were Endless
Happy Birthday
Want To Come Home With Me?
All the Fun
Guardian Angel
Intervention
A House That Isn't a Home
Ice Cream & Obnoxious Andie
Leaving
Tommy
Panic Attacks & Being Sure
Bora Bora: Part One
Bora Bora: Part Two
Before
A Visit
Go
Angel Day
Buzzkill
Heavy
Party On
Everything
Nerves
Mistakes
Broken
Patch Up
Eat
Better
Plans
Bad Professor
Bruises
Heal
Fall Into Silence
The End of an Era
EPILOGUE

A Lot of Distance

187 7 0
By adelaidebordeau

SAGE'S POV

I practically disappeared after lunch with Angel. Two weeks went by where I was skipping my classes and only leaving my bed to use the bathroom, shower and brush my teeth. I'd even gone as far as to tell my boss I had the flu to avoid going into work. Ben and Leo were worried about me, I knew, but everything just felt heavier than I could handle. Angel had even come by a couple times to see me, but I didn't want to see him. It was too much.

It was a Saturday morning, and Ben and Leo slunk into my room. I assumed they were there to try giving me breakfast like they had every morning. Out of pity for their concerns, I usually ate it, but I just wasn't in the mood this specific morning, so I didn't bother acknowledging them.

"Sage," Ben began softly. The sheets rustled behind me. I hesitated but turned around so that I was now facing them. Ben lay beside me, hands beneath his cheek. Leo was between us, seated with his knees pulled up to his chest. His brown eyes were tired, his short brown hair messy, like he'd just woken up. Ben's eyes were tired, as well, blue and sunken, but his dark hair was contained, as if he'd combed it down.

"Talk to us," Leo spoke. My eyes fell, focusing on Ben's chest where his dog tags from his dad's military days sat.

"I really like Angel," I spoke quietly, nearly inaudibly.

"That's okay," Ben encouraged softly. I shook my head and pulled myself up, frustrated.

"I like a guy," I whined, my eyes welling up with tears.

"That's still okay," Leo attempted, eyeing Ben for a moment.

"Sage, you know we love you, no matter who you want." I nodded.

"I know... But it's not just about that. My parents — they're so conservative." As I said the words, my mind got stuck on them. On that whole topic. My parents were going to hate me. The thought made me nauseous.

"Sage, it'll be fine—" Ben was saying. I shook my head.

"I need some space." They blinked.

"Sage—"

"Now," I snapped. The look on their faces, complete helplessness, twisted the guilt in my gut. "Please." Hesitantly, they both nodded and crawled out of the bed. Ben closed the door behind them and as soon as I heard it click shut, I dropped my forehead onto my knees, bursting into tears. I cried until I couldn't breathe, and then I cried more. I cried until I felt like I was going to pass out.

After a while, I was so drained, and so tired. I just wanted to sleep. Instead, I stood cautiously, holding on to the bed as I did. I needed to speak to Angel.

I grabbed my phone and wallet, pulled on a pair of grey sweatpants and a matching grey sweatshirt and rushed out the front door. I headed straight for Angel's dorm, my heart in my throat as I knocked on his door. Carlos answered and smiled at me.

"Hey, Sage, what's up?"

"Is Angel here?" As I asked, I rose to the tips of my toes, attempting to peer behind him.

"He's out with Terry getting food." I deflated. "They should be back any minute. You can wait here if you want." I shook my head softly, sighing.

"No, that's okay. Just... tell him I stopped by?"

"Of course." I bid Carlos goodbye and left the dorm building, ramming into someone as soon as my foot hit the pavement.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I wasn't—" My words caught in my throat as I looked at the girl in front of me, my eyes widening. "Skylar? What are you doing here?"

"Come on, Sagey, you know my twin senses are like magic." I grinned, pulling my sister in for a tight hug.

"I missed you." The last time I'd seen her was the beginning of fall, nearly four months before this. She attended a college that was in Rhode Island, as well, but it was two hours away, so I didn't get to see her as often as I wished. Then, winter break rolled around, but she was caught up with other things and couldn't come home until after I'd already gone.

"I missed you more." Pulling away from my embrace, she ruffled my hair.

"What are you doing here? I mean, I'm thrilled to see you, I'm just... confused." She beamed.

"I told you, twin senses. Something's up and I want to know what." My smile faded as I recalled the past two weeks.

"Let's go to my place." I pulled her across the street towards my apartment. "Wait, how did you know I was across the street?"

"I came here first but Leo told me you had just left and were probably across the street and told me the dorm number to go to." I hummed as we entered my apartment, finding Leo and Ben in the living room.

"Good, you found him," Ben smiled. Skylar nodded with a grin, plopping down on the couch.

"Maybe you can make him talk," Leo mumbled bitterly. I sent him a sharp look. Ben nudged him in the side and he shrugged.

"I told you I knew something was wrong! What is it?" Skylar pried.

"Come on, Sky, you just got here, and it's a really long story—"

"I have all the time in the world. It's not like I have classes to go to."

"Sage doesn't seem to think he does, either," Ben chimed in, before clamping his mouth shut, eyes wide. Leo flicked him in the arm.

"You're not going to your classes?" Skylar admonished. I huffed.

"Thanks a lot, guys." I stormed off to my room. Skylar followed and closed the door behind us.

"You know they only want the best for you." I let out a puff of air.

"I know. I'm just... frustrated."

"Why?" I opened my mouth, then shut it again, then repeated the action. Sky watched me with confused eyes and I shook my head a bit.

"I think... Well, no, I don't think, I know. I'm..." Tears pricked at my eyes again and I blinked them away.

"Oh, Sage." Skylar stepped closer to me. Leading me to the bed, we sat criss-cross across from each other, like when we were kids. She grabbed my hands and squeezed them softly, looking into my eyes. "You can tell me anything. Always." My eyes welled up, completely blurring my vision.

"I-I'm gay, Sky." My voice cracked and I prepared for impact. I prepared for disgust and disappointment and anger.

Instead, her eyes softened and she pulled me into her chest as I burst into tears. She rubbed my back, squeezing me tightly.

"It's okay. It's okay, you're okay," she whispered softly, her voice soothing.

I cried in her lap for hours and she just let me, running her fingers through my hair.

By the time I was breathing evenly, I was exhausted, my eyes opening and closing slowly.

Skylar spoke first.

"Sage... I love you. No matter what. Forever." Though I wanted to, I didn't cry any further, I only let out a long, shaky breath.

"Thank you, Sky. I needed to hear that." I sighed. "I just wish Mom and Dad would be able to say the same."

"Do they know yet?" I shook my head on her lap.

"No. And I have no idea when I'm going to tell them," I admitted. She nodded in understanding.

"How did you realize it?" I sniffed softly, sitting up slowly.

"I think a part of me always sort of knew, I just always ignored it. Then I met Angel."

"Angel? Who's Angel?"

"This guy I met a few weeks ago." She gasped.

"I want know everything!" So I told her everything. I spent the next hour and a half telling her anything I could think of about Angel, from his hair to his eyes, to how we met, to the morning we were messing around with the pancake mix. She listened intently, making comments and asking questions here and there. She thought the pancake story was hilarious.

"Alright, come on. Let's go talk to those roommates of yours," she decided with a sigh, standing from my bed. I let out a long breath and followed her out to the living room, where Ben and Leo were no longer at. Skylar and I tried Leo's room, finding it empty. Sighing, we walked the rest of the way down the hall where Ben's room was. I opened the door without thinking to knock, and my mouth fell open at the sight before me.

Ben and Leo.

Kissing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

512 24 21
Warner Park | A friends to lovers MxM love story ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • ° • Andrew Parker was born and raised in "the middle-of-nowhere" Al...
1.2M 53K 80
This story is complete ✅ Alec is a twenty-five year old gentle boy with the looks of an angel. He has not figured out what he needs in love yet and h...
200K 4.5K 14
[BXB] "You know Luke the more you stutter the cuter you get" And that was the very moment I broke, his emerald eyes burning into me as I folded, his...
1.1M 49.4K 66
This story is complete ✅ Casey is a nerd, but the charming, cute type. He evades college parties like the plague. Who knew he would accidentally jump...