New Poems

By AuthorSAT

This is an interactive poetry series. Every Friday I will post a new poem, and after four poems, I will make... More

To the thunderstorm I used to love,
Fukushima Daiichi
How She Loved Me
The grave of my teenage daughter
Peeling Oranges
The Autumn Railroad
To the Anti-American Teacher...We Knew You Were Pro-World
Miscarriage
The Affair
What I Wanted to Wear for Halloween

The French (History) Teacher

411 7 0
By AuthorSAT

The French (History) Teacher

You’re not actually French. You just brought in a French textbook,

told us you wanted to bring in a World War I pistol instead, but this will have to do.

They say we didn’t help them during the war, that Paris was never taken, that we may, in fact, have lost our minds between the trenches, the gas, and the bombs.

N’est ce pas?

I only touch my face to remind myself that it is still there, and – beneath it – is a mind that may not be my own. When I say this to the class, you handed me the gas mask, right in time for a smile.

The mask was old paper in my hands, and it was easier to ask when I put it on,

but harder to hear when you responded, au fait.

My French grandmother never believed in that.

But I finally understood Bogart in Casablanca when he says his German is rusty.

Oh, mon ami.

If I kissed you for the last time, I knew it wouldn’t be written down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 749 53
"I know I'm sunk deep to this point To the point where I'm drowned Into this bowl of honey I feel I feel like there's no other way out" A collectio...
18.1K 1.7K 71
Greetings dear readers! This is my first ever poems book. And um I wrote these all based on my personal experiences. As you may journey through chapt...
5.4K 149 16
رواية تتكلم عن قصة خمس بنات وكيف كانت حياتهم مع اهلهم ف الديره وكيف بتكون حياتهم بعدين وكيف شخص حب وحده لكن الحياه تمنعهم عن بعض، و.....
1.2K 164 10
❝ 𝙋𝙞𝙩𝙘𝙝 𝙗𝙡𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙛𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙨 𝙛𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙝𝙚𝙙, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙄 𝙙𝙞𝙙𝙣'𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙣. 𝙉𝙤, 𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙪𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙙𝙤�...