Maybe this is where I belong...

By siobhanm515

In this story, Callie and Jude were never adopted because their mother never died and their father never went... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.

Chapter 26.

262 4 1
By siobhanm515

hi guys! so, it has been a LONG time since I have updated. life has been really crazy. My time is limited but I missed this story and I missed writing so I wanted to get back into it! I hope I can update more often but I'm not making any promises! so, enjoy :)

AMELIA'S POV:

Today was the day that my siblings were coming to visit me in the hospital. I was a little nervous because I surely didn't look like myself. I had lost weight, no make-up on my face, I haven't taken an actual shower in God knows how long because I'm too weak to stand up in the shower so the nurses and Moms have to give me sponge baths. I finally am able to wear actual pajamas instead of the stupid hospital gown, so I tried to look my best for my brothers and sister.

"Okay, love. We're in the room so we'll see you in a little bit... I love you too honey." Stef hung up the phone with Lena, looked at me, and smiled, "How excited are you to see your siblings today huh bug?" She sat down at the edge of my bed, cupped my face, and squeezed it gently which caused me to laugh.

"I guess so" I take a deep breath and stare down at my hospital blanket. "I'm kind of nervous." I said as I shrug my shoulders.

She looked at me with confused and concerned eyes, "My love, why?"

"Well because they haven't seen me in months, I looked really different back then. Now I just look..ugly." Stef's eyes widen as soon as she hears this.

"Amelia. You are the most beautiful brunette with green eyes that I have ever laid my eyes on. I swear my love you could stop time with how beautiful you are. Your siblings will see the same Ami that they saw months ago, I can promise you that. Never ever think anything less of yourself than beautiful, got that pretty thing?" She winked and smirked at me.

"Okay, okay. Thank you, mom." I smiled wholeheartedly. Stef opened her arms for a hug which I reciprocated. I took a deep breath as Stef rose from my bed, "I think you should try to nap for a bit before they all come to visit you, honey."

"Okay." I agreed. I lowered my bed to a horizontal position and attempted to ease my mind and get some sleep.

STEF'S POV:

I watch my daughter fall asleep as I sat in the chair in the corner of her hospital room. I could not keep my eyes off of her, my beautiful daughter. She has been through more in her life than any other person I know, and she is so unbelievably strong. Ever since we got her back, the love I have for her grows and grows. The thought of asking her if Lena and I to adopt her has not left my mind ever since I rescued her from Patrick and her birth parents. I want her to be officially ours already, but she has been through hell and back. She needs to be at her best when we ask her.

As my head is clouded with these thoughts, I received a text from Lena.

"Hey babe, when is a good time to bring the kids? How's Ame doing?"

I typed out a response and hit send,

"She's resting for now, but Dr. Grey is taking her up for a CT scan in 30 minutes, checking her for any complications from the surgery. Maybe bring them in an hour?"

"Perfect, I'll see you then." Lena replied.

As I put my phone back in my pocket, it buzzed again. It was a text from Laura.

"Hey Stef, just wanted to check in on Amelia and give you an update on the case, do you want to give me a call?"

My heart sank deep into my stomach. Every bad case scenario swarmed my head. I took a deep breath and rose from my seat to step out in the hall so that I don't wake my peaceful daughter sleeping. I was scared to death to hear about what Laura had to say, but I have to be strong for Ami. I dialed Laura's number and kept my composure until she answered.

"Hi, Stef! How is Amelia doing?" She said as she answered the phone.

"Hi Laura, she's, ah, she is on the mend for sure. Hopefully, she will be home soon. She had a lot of internal bleeding, a really bad concussion, and is going to have to do physical therapy from a bad hip injury, but is doing well." At this point in the conversation, I just wanted her to cut to the chase. I sighed and continued on, "You said you had an update on the case?"

"Yes." She replied. "The state is charging Patrick with rape and assault along with violation of the restraining order that was placed on him after Amelia was pulled from his house." She went on, "And Dan and Veronica are charged with neglect of a minor and kidnapping. The cases are separate, and the prosecution has really strong cases, so it is incredibly likely that they will be going away for an extremely long time."

I let out a huge sigh of relief and choked up. "That is the best news a mom could ever receive about their child, thank you so much." I said, fighting back tears.

"Stef, it's my pleasure." She sighs, "I do have one question for you."

My heart dropped again and I instantly tensed up. "Mhm?"

Laura started, "Would Amelia be up for testifying against Patrick and her birth parents. The case is strong without her testimony, but it would be incredibly stronger with it. I know how hard the first trial was for her, but she's a strong girl, she'd do it right?"

As a cop, I knew Laura was right. A witness's testimony is so much stronger in a case. But this was my daughter. I never wanted her to relive this experience ever again. I wanted to protect her from anything bad again.

"Laura, as you know, Amelia is incredibly fragile right now. But this is her decision and Lena and I will ask her when she is strong enough, is that okay?" Laura agreed, and said she will update me and Lena as the case moves forward.

I walked back into the room to see my daughter awake and alert.

"Who was that on the phone?" She asked.

"Well hello to you too, sleepyhead." I walked over and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"You're not going to tell me who you were on the phone with, I'm guessing." She sighed.

I scooted myself into bed with her and wrapped my arms around her. "You know miss Amelia, you are just like your Mama. You are one nosey girl." I smooched her right on the cheek and she laughed. I did not want to tell Amelia about my conversation with Laura, it will stress her out to the point where her health will not be her priority.

Dr. Grey knocked on the door and made her way into the room with a technician. "Hi Stef, hi Amelia, how are we doing today?" I got off the bed so that Dr. Grey could examine Amelia.

"I'm okay." Amelia replied, "I'm really tired, my body is achy, and my hip hurts a lot, but other than that I'm doing okay."

"You're a strong one Miss Amelia." Dr. Grey said as she took my blood pressure and vitals.

"Don't I know it." I replied and winked at my daughter. She has more strength in her little pinky than I have in my whole body.

Dr. Grey was finished and wrapped her stethoscope around her neck. "Okay! My technician, Maria is going to bring you up for some testing, does that sound good?"

Amelia nodded and smiled, "I think I can handle that. Can my mom come with me?" She looked over at me and looked a little nervous. I knew that she was holding up a strong front for the doctors.

"I'm so sorry Amelia, only doctors and technicians are authorized to be in the room. But your mom will be right here when you get back." Dr. Grey replied.

I walked closer to Amelia's bed and bent down to meet her gaze, "Baby I'll be right in this room when you get back, I'm not going anywhere, okay? I'm right here." I held her hand in mine and gave her a couple of kisses on her head.

"Okay, mom okay." Amelia replied. With that, they helped Amelia out of the hospital bed and led her to the wheelchair. With being in the hospital for this long, she was able to be in regular pajamas, so she was in a button-up shirt and shorts with a bathrobe. I looked over to my daughter's legs, and I had never seen the bruises on them until now. The bruises were all over her legs, purple and blue. I had to compose myself so that she would not see me staring. I can't begin to comprehend how she is going to heal from this.

AMELIA'S POV:

Dr. Grey and Maria wheeled me out of my room as I looked back at Stef and gave her a small smile as I made my way to the testing room. As much as I am grateful to be alive, I was so sick of all the testing and hospital workers seeing me every day. I have been here long enough where the workers know my name and greeted me as they passed me in the hallway.

"You're popular here, huh?" Maria said, wheeling me down the hallway.

"I guess so, I don't think I love being this popular in a hospital though, I would love to go home." I replied.

"I know honey. Hopefully soon." She rubbed my shoulder. We got to the scanning room where she wheeled me up to the area where I would be laying down.

"Okay hon, let me help you up." Maria took my hands and eased me onto the bed. "I know this will be tough, but I need you to be still for 30 minutes while you're laying down so the machine can take the best pictures of your body, Okay?"

"Okay." I replied. I looked all over while I was in the massive machine that I would be laying in for the next 30 minutes and wanted absolutely no part of it. I was usually not a claustrophobic person, but these days anything like that would automatically freak me out.

I laid on the bed of the machine for what seemed like an eternity, letting my thoughts attempt to pass the time. I was very eager to get out of the hospital and back home with my siblings and moms, but the word "adoption" hasn't been spoken in a while, and it's making me think that once I get back to feeling healthy, they'll release me to another foster home.

The machine whirred an extremely loud noise and it caused me to jerk on the table.

"Try to stay as still as possible, hon." Maria reminded me.

"I'm sorry." I replied sheepishly. I am still jumpy and on edge from the kidnapping and attack. Every other time I close my eyes, I am transported back to Patrick on top of me, either raping me or beating me. I don't know how I am going to heal from this, and I am terrified Stef and Lena won't want me anymore. I'm broken, damaged goods. I wouldn't be surprised if they requested a transfer and got a new foster child.

Before I knew it, the machine turned off and my thoughts were interrupted by Maria coming into the room to help me up.

"Okay honey, you're all set, let me help you into the chair." Maria wheeled the chair over to me as I got up slowly and sat down. She put a blanket over my legs and wheeled me out of the room to go back into my hospital room.

LENA'S POV:
"Okay guys, put the balloons over by her bed." I directed Mariana and Jesus as they put pink and purple balloons all around Amelia's hospital bed. Brandon held up the sign that read "Get well soon!"

"Mama where do you want me to put the sign?" B asked me.

"Why don't you just hold it up so she can see it when she comes back." I replied. The kids are so eager to see Amelia, they were talking about it the entire car ride.

"Hey, my loves, why don't you come sit so we can talk about some things, yes?" Stef waved the kids over to sit on the sofa by the hospital room window. The kids gathered either on the chair nearby or kneeling on the floor as I went to sit right by Stef. She could sense my uneasiness and wrapped an arm around me in comfort.

"So as you all know Ami has gone through a great deal of trauma that none of us can grasp or comprehend. I know you guys have been so excited to see her and it has been a long time, but just be patience with her please. She is fragile and sensitive, not to mention still pretty sick and it will be a long haul, okay?" Stef looks at each of our kids with a great deal of seriousness and concern.

"Mom and I need you all to know how much we love you, and we are so grateful for the support you've shown us and Amelia. Be there for her, be a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on. Just show her you care and love her, she needs that right now." I said as I rubbed Mariana's shoulder, who was getting emotional at this conversation.

"Are you guys going to ask her if she wants to be adopted though?" Jesus asks. I knew the kids were going to ask this sooner or later. I met Stef's gaze and she gave me a nod to answer truthfully.

"We want to, more than anything. We just want her to be healed and be her best self first and foremost." I replied. The kids sat there in a minute of silence, we were all thinking the same thing. How are we going to support and love this beautiful young girl who just wants to heal from her trauma?

Our thoughts were interrupted by Maria, the technician wheeling Amelia back into the room. We all turn over to Amelia and smile, wiping away any tears that got loose and put on our best smiles for her as we walked over.

"Hey beautiful girl! Look who came to see you." I walked over to Amelia to lift her out of the wheelchair and into her bed. She looked extremely withered and weak, I wondered if she has been eating enough of her food here.

"Mari, Jesus, Brandon. It's so good to see you guys." Ami replied shyly. It was not a surprise how she was acting shy, it had been a few months since she has seen everyone.

"Ami we've missed you so much!" Mariana ran over to hug her and Amelia winced from the bruises still on her legs.

"Miss Thing, gentle please." Stef reminded. Always the mama bear. Her protectiveness has been in full swing ever since we rescued Amelia.

"It's okay, really. I'm just really happy to see everyone." Ami reassured. I could see right through it, though. I know my daughter, and she is in pain.

"Well, Ami the dance team is thriving! We won our first competition and used the choreography you made up and it won a special award, thanks to you!" Mariana nudged Ami's shoulder as she sat next to her on the bed.

"Wow, that is awesome. I'm glad I was able to help in some way." Amelia turned to us, "Moms, when am I going to be able to dance again?" She looked at us with pleading, yet heartbroken eyes, almost knowing the answer already.

Stef walked over to Amelia and met her gaze. "Well love it might be a bit, you are still recovering from your concussion and you need to do some extensive physical therapy for your hip." She cupped Amelias face with her hand and rubbed her cheek with her thumb. "One day at a time, okay baby?"

Amelia's tear rolled right down her face onto Stef's thumb and she took a deep breath, "I understand, I just want everything to go back to normal. I want to be normal. I don't want to be going through this." She said between sobs. Mariana hugged her, rubbing her arm up and down.

"It's going to be okay Ami, I promise." Mariana soothed.

I look over the Jesus and Brandon are facing the other way, coughing. I know my sons well enough to see when they are trying to hide their cries. At this point everyone is holding back tears.

Ami looked at all of us and broke the silence, "I'm so sorry I'm making all of you so upset. I didn't mean to burden you all with this." She said between sniffles and deep breaths.

"My love, your feelings are our feelings, we are here. We love you so much, so so so much." Stef said to Amelia and wrapped her arms around her.

***********************************************************************************************

After some card games, laughs, and snuggles, it was time for the kids to say goodbye to Amelia for now.

"Please text me if you are bored, can't sleep, anything! Your notification is on ring for me, so don't worry." Mariana smiled at Amelia after hugging her goodbye.

Amelia laughed, "Will do, Mariana."

Jesus gave Ami a strong, loving hug. Jesus isn't one to share about his feelings. He's guarded, protects his heart just like Stef. That's where he gets it from. He looked right into Ami's eyes with such love and protectiveness. "I'm always here Ame. Please don't forget that." He grabbed her hand and squeezed it tight. I fight the instinct to cry right then and there, and Stef wrapped her arm around me to control me. She was right, we didn't want to take away from this moment.

B was last and gave Ami the same kind of big brother, protective hug and said, "I can't wait until you come home." She looked at him and nodded, trying to hold herself together.

Stef handed the car keys to Brandon and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, "Text when you get home, yes?"

"Of course Mom." He responded. He gave me a quick hug and a kiss before the three kids exited the hospital room.

AMELIA'S POV:

Seeing my siblings after two months was surreal. So many feelings and thoughts clouded my head and I wasn't sure how to sort through them. I could tell they've been thinking of me this whole time, and they weren't alone. During my captivity, all I could think about were memories of me and my siblings. Dance practices with Mariana, and as much as it bothered me how controlling and bossy she was during those practices, I would have given anything to be back. I missed my late night talks with Jesus over cereal and the laughs we would share together. I miss the occasional piano lessons that Brandon would give me every time I sat down next to him on the piano bench. Those were the moments I held onto, hoping and praying I'd have them again.

My moms gentle touch on either side of me brought me back into reality. "What are you thinking in that head of yours bug?" Stef asked as she kissed the top of my head. I shrug, I don't want them to know my fears of not getting adopted, or being transferred to another foster home. It's not something I want to face yet.

"A shrug is not an answer Amelia, talk to us, let us in baby." Lena moves my head to meet her eyes.

"I am okay, really. I'm just tired. Do you think I could sleep?" I ask, moving my head to look at them.

"Of course my love." Lena responds and kisses my cheek as she rises. Stef starts to refill my water cup and fluff my pillows to get me comfortable.

"I'm going to head home tonight love bug and Mama will stay with you, okay? I'll be back first thing in the morning before I head to work I promise." Stef sits back down on the edge of my bed and brings her hands to cup my face, not breaking eye contact.

"Okay." I nod my head in response.

Stef grabs her things and before leaving she grabs Lena's hand and pulls her in for a kiss. I love seeing them affectionate and loving, it reminds me how much love is in their home and how much love they give.

"Text me when you get home please." Lena smiles.

"You got it, baby." Stef responds. She turns her head towards us before leaving, "I love you both so much."

"We love you too." Lena responds. She walks over to me and gets me settled in bed, making sure my call button is close to me in case I need it. She tucks the blankets by my side and sits down on my bed. "Okay my baby, you look comfy and settled. I will be right on the cot next to you, okay? If I don't wake up by you calling me you press the button, got it?" I nod my head to her request and get myself more comfortable.

"Try to relax your mind and focus on your breathing. Get some real good sleep my love. I love you so so so much." She says and kisses me many times on either cheek.

"I love you too." I respond. Normally I would add "Mama" to the end of it, but my negative thoughts pull back and make me resist. There is just so much going on in my head, swirling around, trying to make sense of it all. I want to hold on to the words they all say to me, to trust in that, to trust in the love. But I am the first one to say that nothing good in my life is ever permanent.

Well, it's been QUITE a while since I've updated and life has definitely been busy. I wanted to update because I've gotten in the groove of writing but I don't know when the next update will be. Hopefully somewhat soon, I hope you enjoy and thank you to everyone who has stayed loyal to this story!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.4K 2.3K 43
Stef Foster and her twelve year old daughter, Callie, must deal with a painful loss in their life. Can they put the pieces back together with the hel...
127K 4.2K 66
Stef Foster and Lena Adams are two women who are serving 10-15 years in prison for manslaughter. As Lena initially fears the blonde they soon fall d...
6.1K 90 6
Being Callie Jacobs older sister and Jude Jacobs mom is always a rough ride, especially being in the fostering system. This is Katrina Gomez story.