Strange Ones: Volume 3

By Diamondheart37

Life keeps on changing for everyone, including all of the heroes of Delta. A school for aspiring heroes has o... More

The Talk About Now
Delta Heroes Academy
Carly's Interview With Toriel
The Food Fight
New Gear!
The Strange Games
Players for the Games!
The Games Begin
Round One
Visitors from Atlas
"He Was My Dad!"
The Executive
As Heard Through The Door...
A Familiar Face For Two
Chara's Awakening
Escaping the Base
Her Search
"What Have I Done?"
USA's Third Match
The Illusion
Saoirse's Love, Betty's Concern
A Good Man He Was
Atlas in the Coliseum
A Relationship...?
Fear of Being Discovered
Hiding Chara
Something Wrong
Suspicion Rising
Could Have Been Obliterated
Precautions
Playing Detective
Outdoor Brawl
Getting Worried
Unexpected Mystery
Romeo's Warning
Strike Two
Too Many Situations
A Sister-Sister Talk
"Amber Lightvale Doesn't Exist"
Harumi's Mission
Warn The Leader!
Bonding With Chara
The Deal
Plans
Disruption
Beginning of Chaos
Search and Rescue
Whereabouts
On Our Way
Separation
Showdown From Below
Message from a Foe
Battle Scars
Save
Not Human After All
War Has Just Begun...
The Story Continues...

The Man in the Mask

13 0 0
By Diamondheart37

"So," Alex said with crossed arms as she and Twilight sat down with Pinkie, who was slurping a milkshake. "You have no idea who Harumi is?"

"Mm-mmm." Pinkie shook her head and shrugged. "I just met the girl hours ago when Weiss came to retrieve me and Lloyd. I didn't know Lloyd had an ex-girlfriend and Weiss had a rival."

"So, you know nothing of Harumi, then?" Twilight asked uncertainly.

"Nada." The pink-haired Rogue shook her head again. "Not one bit. I don't even know her, but she does look like someone who feeds on trouble."

Meanwhile, the sleeping Kumu, who rested on Alex's right shoulder, jolted awake when he felt a twinge through his entire form. With a gasp, his eyes shot open. He knew what that violent pulse meant: Betty was in grave danger. Luckily, he knew where she was due to their connection, so he got off the blue-haired girl's shoulder before flying off to his destination. Alex felt this and turned her head to the left where the pink blob flew. She raised an eyebrow at him but as soon as he disappeared from her sight, she shrugged and turned her head back to Pinkie to continue their investigation.

~~~~~

Betty jumped to evade a swipe from the masked being's ax, which struck the floor. The disguised Construct landed on the ground and summoned another pink spear. It was the only thing she could do in defense since she didn't have Kumu with her. When she usually had him as a companion in combat, she felt stronger. Without him, all she could do was dodge, jump, and throw spears. Meanwhile, Carly and Qrow watched the match. While the crow Morpher witnessed the fight with a scowl, the teen watched in horror.

When the being in black finally pulled his ax out of the ground, Betty turned to Qrow and yelled, "Qrow, get Carly out of here!" After that, she threw her spear at her opponent, missing him by the left shoulder.

"Betty!" Carly shouted before Qrow grabbed her shoulders and ran off with her.

As the two ran, the artificial girl stared at the enemy, scowling at him before the ax in his grasp faded to dust. Their brawl came to a pause with that.

"What a touching moment, I should say..." The masked one said in a dark and sly tone. His voice sounded as if two criminals were both talking in sync.

"Who are you?!" Betty demanded, forming another pink rod.

"Who I am is not important." He said. "I'm here to help finish a friend's business."

"That doesn't excuse you to-"

"I was sent here to take down a certain someone." The anonymous man disrupted her sentence. "But if I wanted to, I have to kill all of his allies, starting from the weakest ones. But a Construct associated with Delta? What a day..."

"I don't think you realize who I am," Betty growled, giving her weapon a tight grip.

In response, the masked one chuckled. "Oh, dear child. I know exactly who you are."

"Like you know anything about-"

"You're Bete Noire."

The girl gasped, her eyes widening as soon as her ears heard his dark and distorted words. How? She thought, baffled. How does he know who I am? Wait, could it be...? "Who do you serve?" She demanded to know.

"I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise." The unknown figure chuckled again before his ax reappeared in his hand. "Now, that will be enough talk."

"I'm not done asking you questions!" Betty snarled, but she didn't get the reply she expected.

The shadowy figure spun his ax around before lunging at the girl, who immediately performed a backflip to evade a swipe from his weapon. Knowing that she wouldn't stand a chance against him, she began to run.

"And where do you think you're going?" He asked, turning into a trail of dark smoke that followed her.

Betty looked behind her back, gasping as she saw the smoke-like trail following her. What does he even want with me?! She exclaimed in her head. With another pink spear in her grasp, she immediately turned around to throw it at him, missing him by two inches. She made a sharp turn to the right, but it wasn't enough to lose him. Betty's eyes widen when she looked over her shoulder again, finding the smoke gone. Skidding to a halt, she started looking around at the new hallway. Forming another spear in her hand, she cautiously examined her surroundings, looking for her pursuer.

"I can't fight him alone." She whispered before reaching for her pockets for her phone. Upon pulling it out, she pressed a white app with a purple Delta Rune symbol on it. She was going to send a distress signal to a few of her closest friends. Luckily, she knew exactly who to call. "Frisk," She began. "You may or may not be available, but I have no choice!"

Betty immediately pressed a profile picture of Frisk, sending the digital distress signal in seconds. After that, she was startled by a voice behind her back.

"Why do you call for help?"

Summoning another spear, the pink Construct swung it at the masked man behind her, who suddenly disappeared. Betty was left in confusion before she felt a foot kick her in the back. She rolled on the floor before stabbing it with her pink weapon. She growled at the one who kicked her, the silver-masked man.

"Are you that much of a coward to fight me by yourself?" He asked, giving the girl an evil look. "Or are you just weak?"

Getting up on her feet again, Betty remained scowling at the masked being, spinning her spear around. "I will ask you again," She said seriously. "Who are you? What do you want and why are you here?"

"I told you once already. My name is not important." The unknown man rolled his green eyes. "Why are you so hung up on protecting those worthless humans? You were created by the most ruthless alliance of Strange Ones ever made. You were made for destruction, but here you are now: opposing not only your creators but also your purpose."

"What does all of this have to do me?!" The young Construct demanded.

"So, you're eager to know my motives? Fine." Beneath his mask, he wore a sinister smirk. "You are working with Delta. I came here to destroy you all, starting from the cronies and then the final boss."

"What do you think this world is to you, a video game?"

"No." He spun his ax around. "I'm just doing as I'm told."

Before the masked man in black could lunge at Betty again, the back of his right shoulder was struck by something hot. The stench of smoke was the only residue remaining on his back. He slowly turned around to face the source of the fireball. Standing behind him from far away was Frisk, whose right hand was on fire as she held her cell phone in her left. The young girl was breathing in and out of her mouth, implying that she had been running. Standing adjacent to her right was Saoirse, who had both her fans out. Drifting beside her left was a scowling Kumu. Behind her was a trembling Romeo.

Betty, looking over his shoulder, sighed with relief.

"Well," The shady man said, raising an eyebrow. "This day became more interesting, I should say. We have two brats, a beast, and a weak excuse of a Mimic."

"Leave her alone," Frisk growled.

"Or what?" He asked. "Are you going to tattle on me?" The masked man chuckled darkly. "Go ahead. Report this to your parents or whoever who feel comfortable talking to. I don't have time to play with children." His eyes later turned to Romeo. "As for you, how many strikes have you endured so far."

The red-haired executive shook tremendously, maintaining his silence.

"You refuse to say, hmm? Fine. I'll deal with all of you another time."

Claws were contracted from the man's fingers so he can scratch the air to form a shadowy vortex that appeared out of thin air. The four jumped in surprise as they watched him walk through it. Then, it disappeared after that. With a sigh, Frisk blew at the flame that lit up her hand, making it fade away. The girl's brown eyes turned to Betty before she ran up to her followed by Kumu, Saoirse, and Romeo.

"Betty," Frisk said as soon as she reached her. "Are you okay?"

In response, the Construct forcefully grabbed the other girl's shoulders and pinned her to a nearby wall. "Where have you been for the past hours?!" She shouted, livid. "You worried all of your friends!"

"Whoa! Calm down!" Frisk held up both her hands. "I have a lot to explain. But first, let me ask you something. Where's Chara?"

"She should be with Kubo and Asriel by now," Saoirse said. "Perhaps we should find her together."

"This is exactly what I was afraid of." Romeo chimed in, getting attention from the girls.

"What?" Frisk asked.

"You are all in danger because of me!" He began to shout in a panicking tone. "I lost all of my chances and it's my own fault!"

"Don't blame yourself, Mr. Romeo!" Saoirse furrowed her eyebrows at the man. "We'll think of something, I swear!"

"No, child! You don't understand!" Romeo pointed to where the black vortex was. "That man your friend was fighting long ago, he's a murderer! A monster! A maniac! He's the one who attacked that Atlas soldier and that player for the Strange Games! Now, he's going to kill innocent children like you because of me!"

"How do you know who he is?" Betty asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"That man is one of my captors." He began to mellow slightly. "One of those who are holding me against my will. Now, you are being targeted by him because of me..."

"Does he at least have a name?" Frisk asked.

"Yes." Romeo nodded. "Not much is known about him, but he goes by the name of Nox..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140 7 19
Content warning: this story contains themes of suicide and child abuse/neglect. Read with caution. Your mental health is more important than a silly...
1.1K 7 49
A month has passed since humans and Strange Ones were brought together, and ever since, the world has been peaceful. But things take a questionably e...
1.4K 73 19
"Talent. What is talent in the end? Can talent be used to change lives, or is it just used from people as an excuse to make humans mindless zombies...
26.2K 536 8
Izuku Yagi is the son of #1 Hero All Might and #9 Hero Psych. His siblings born with a quirk which is contrary to Izuku who wasn't. Izuku was hated...