A Day in the Dark

By petal001

Zoya is a Kenyan refugee that has been living in Australia for the past 20 years. Her life is almost perfect... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8

Chapter 7

8 4 0
By petal001

Chapter 7

"Wait, before you start, would it be okay if I record your statement with my phone?" I asked, holding up my phone.

Maha nodded.

Swiftly opening the recording app, I lay the phone on the table, making sure the microphone was facing Maha.

"Please say your name and age before you start your story."

Then I waited for her to start.

"My name is Maha Munir and I turned 17 one month ago. I am from Mombasa and only came to live in Nairobi 3 months ago. And the reason I did that is because," Maha stopped, her voice growing uneasy and her eyes darting around. Asha squeezed her shoulder, a tender look in her eyes.

"I, was..." she licked her lips and whispered, "raped."

My heart skipped a beat.

"It was a Tuesday and I was coming home from school. My parents normally send a driver to pick me up but that day, I hadn't wanted to go home with him. I took a tuk tuk instead. But...I didn't know that the guy wouldn't take me home."

"He took me to a house, it was nowhere near where I live and he left me there. I called my mum but she didn't pick up so I called my dad. He didn't pick up either. I was starting to get angry when these three other guys came and they dragged me into the house. Then they used me," her voice broke.

But she kept going.

"They did things to me and they ripped my uniform and they left me. I don't remember what happened next because I woke up and it was morning. My phone was still in my bag and I had so many missed calls from my family. And I was crying but I called my mum and they found me. They took me home. I cleaned up and when I was ready, I told them what happened."

She paused, taking a sip of her orange juice. Sweat had started forming on her forehead and I knew she was having a hard time relaying the incident. But I knew that if I stopped her, she might not have the courage to tell me again.

Maha cleared her throat, "They didn't believe me. My parents didn't believe that I had been raped. And when I told them who did it, because I recognised those men, they said I was crazy. They said I was making things up to gain their attention. And that I was trying to ruin respectable people's reputations. It was always about reputation. They don't even care." Maha scoffed.

"Aunty Asha had been working for my family for almost 5 years. She believed me and tried convincing my parents but they kicked her out. So Aunty Asha took me to the police since my parents weren't listening but the same thing happened with them. A few weeks passed and my parents pretended like nothing happened to me. So I got fed up of it. Aunty Asha told me she was going back to Nairobi so I begged her to take me with her. And now, here we are."

Her story had holes, she wasn't telling me everything. Maha had avoided telling me what happened in the house, before she passed out, how they had managed to keep her quiet, she avoided telling me who the men were even though she knew them and she avoided telling me about why her parents would think she was lying. And when I turned the recording off and looked at her, at her eyes, I realised just how tired she looked. The girl had gone through so much in a short amount of time that I couldn't bring myself to ask her about anything else.

"Thank you, for telling me. I know it wasn't easy but I hope you know that I will do my best to help you," I said, giving her a gentle smile.

"If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could come to my hotel room tomorrow and we could continue? I mean, I have some questions and we can start working on making a case?" I continued, looking at Asha hopefully.

Asha had a calculative look in her eyes. She glanced at Maha then back at me before nodding. "I'll bring Maha after Asr. Give me the address."

**

Isaac poured the milk into the two mugs and I watched as the white colour mixed in with the dark water of the Kericho Gold tea. It smelt strong and I was looking forward to taking a sip of the much praised tea. As soon as Isaac placed the mug in my hands, I relished in the warmth it gave. Taking a deep breath of the steam coming from the tea, I took a tentative sip. I wasn't a fan of tea, I disliked it. Isaac would call me uncultured every time I denied tea whenever he made it. Coffee was more my style. But ever since I arrived in Kenya, Kericho Gold had been everywhere. And I finally caved into Isaac's incessant begging. I didn't regret it.

"Well," Isaac said, coming to sit beside me on the two seater, "sounds like you're going to be busy for the rest of the month."

"Mhmm," I mumbled, too absorbed in the richness of the tea.

As soon as we arrived back to the hotel, Isaac had been given a quick rundown of Maha's situation. I didn't let him hear the recording because I was still a lawyer and she was my client so I would have to respect her privacy but I figured telling Isaac some of the important bits wouldn't hurt. Besides, Isaac was smart and he had a way of seeing things I didn't.

"Do you have any idea on who the men were?"

I looked up from my mug. The t.v was blaring a rerun of Charlie Chaplin.

"Yeah. From the way her parents reacted, I'd say someone who's pretty influential. But there were 3 of them so, it'll be hard getting all three sentenced."

"And she's from Mombasa?" Isaac asked.

I nodded, "I honestly did not see that coming. And that would also mean—"

"We'd have to go to Mombasa," Isaac finished my sentence.

I sighed and placed my hand on his leg. "I'm sorry. I know I keep asking things from you and you always do everything but I don't want you to feel like you have to do these things."

Isaac chuckled, "I like making you happy. And if you taking on this case is going to end up with Asha believing you, then I'm all for it."

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"You could stand to mention it more," Isaac stuck his tongue out. His phone started ringing and Isaac picked it up, the light smile on his face fading into a frown.

"Who is it?" I asked, blowing some steam from my mug.

"Just...work. I should probably take it," Isaac gave me a tight smile, placed his mug on the coffee table and walked into the bedroom. I took another sip of my tea.

**

If I was back in Brisbane, I would've hated the normal Wednesday. It was the day I'd have to do the laundry, visit Aunt Fatima which meant having to sit through a boring kitty part, and deal with Lillian Moore, my more or less arch nemesis from work.

However, that Wednesday, I was jumping for joy. As soon as Isaac and I had finished our breakfast, at around 8am, a call from reception had informed us that Asha and Afrah were there. Perplexed, we went to meet them, only to find an enthusiastic Afrah who had ran towards Isaac as soon as she saw him and a scowling Asha.

Isaac engulfed the young girl in a hug. Afrah started whispering things to him then the two giggled. I stared at Asha and raised an eyebrow.

Asha rolled her eyes, "I'm bringing Maha later this afternoon but your husband has done something to my daughter. She was crying this whole morning, wanting to come here because he promised he would take her to some park."

I marvelled over the bond Afrah and Isaac seemed to have, after only spending a few hours together.

"Do you think you could watch over her until I get off work and bring Maha?" Asha asked. She sounded hesitant.

"Of course. Anything for you and Afrah," I said, giving her a mega watt smile.

Asha narrowed her eyes, "I'll be checking up on her. Give me your phone number so I can call."

"Uh, I haven't got a Safari-com number yet but Isaac does so why don't you give me yours then I can text you from his phone?"

Asha swiftly nodded, rattling off her number then fleetingly glanced at Afrah and walked out of the hotel. Afrah ran up to me and gave me a tight hug then started chatting about all the things her Uncle Isaac had promised he'd do with her. I ran my hand through her plaited hair, taking in the green dress and pants she wore.

"And he also said we could go on a safari!" Afrah exclaimed, skipping alongside me.

I sent Isaac a questioning look who shrugged in return.

"Okay, how about we eat something before we do everything you want to?" I suggested, leading her into the elevator. Afrah agreed, bouncing in her place as the elevator took us to the 9th floor. Before we had been abruptly called down to reception, Isaac had taken out his jar of peanut butter. I ushered Afrah in and offered her some peanut butter and toast. The young girl had never had peanut butter before so it was quite a show watching her try it and at first not like it, but then enjoy it. She got through 2 pieces of toast and a glass of milk before she said she was full. Isaac and I watched her fondly.

"Where are we going first?" Afrah asked, sitting at the end of the couch.

"Um, how about you let Aunty Zoya and I get ready then we can head out?" Isaac said.

Afrah nodded. I told Isaac that I'd be using the shower first and he agreed. Grabbing a long sleeved dress and some jeans, I headed into the shower. Afrah had become so comfortable with Isaac and I in just two days and although that thought was amazing, I couldn't help but feel a bit scared. Children were a big deal and because of the delicate situation we were in, I didn't want Isaac to get too attached to Afrah. I was afraid of what I would have to face. Isaac had no idea of the secret I was carrying and I didn't want him to find out so soon.

Drying my hair, I stepped out of the steaming bathroom and got dressed, brushing my curls into a bun. My makeup and hair bag was lying on the vanity. I rummaged through it, trying to find a hair tie that wouldn't break as easily. My hair was thick, and I needed at least 2 hair ties to keep it in a bun. While I was going through the bag, my fingers curled around the two decade old hair pin. It was gorgeous, even though it was so old. The pin was like a bobby pin but it had a gold and silver cherry blossom at the end. The flower was beautiful and intricately twisted. It was the only material possession I had from before I came to Australia.

Pocketing it, I swiftly did my hair, put my under-cap on and wrapped a maroon, chiffon hijab around my head, securing it with a pin. Walking into the small living area, I found Isaac and Afrah watching an animated movie on the T.V. The two were arguing over which character was their favourite. I cleared my throat trying to get their attention. It took a few tries but Isaac finally glanced at me. He got up and patted Afrah's head then headed into the room.

I sat beside Afrah and asked her what they were watching. She launched into an in-depth explanation about the movie.

"Afrah," I interrupted, "I have something for you."

Her brown eyes sparkled and widened, as she sat back and crossed her legs. She was so small for a 9 year old.

I pulled the hair pin out of my pocket. "This is one of my oldest pins. Isn't it pretty?" I handed her the pin. Afrah took it gently and turned it around, nodding.

"Is it okay if I tell you a story?"

"Mhmm," she answered, her eyes glued to the pin.

"When I was 7, a little younger than you now, my sister and I got separated. I ended up in Australia. I don't remember much, but when we got to Australia, this pin was still in my hair. It's the only thing I have from my parents. I haven't worn it in a long time so I wanted you to have it."

Afrah glanced at me, a curious look in her eyes. I smiled and took the pin from her, gesturing for her to turn around. Gently slotting the pin into one of her braids, I smiled.

"JazakAllah Aunty Zoya. It's really pretty. And I'm sorry about what happened to you," Afrah said, turning back to face me.

"You're welcome. And don't you worry about things that happened a long time ago," I said, bopping her nose.

"Is my mum really your sister?" she asked.

I froze.

"I...I think she is."

Afrah smiled, "I think she is too."

**

Nairobi National Park had been a wonderous experience. For Isaac and Afrah. I had spent the better part of the day trying not to get lost and eaten. Which was quite stupid on my part but I seriously did not enjoy looking at elephants and giraffes eating and laying around. The only good part about our little field trip had been the food. The burgers were absolutely mind blowing.

We got back to the hotel a few minutes before Asha and Maha were supposed to arrive. Afrah had passed out as soon as we got in so Isaac had carried her into our room, laying her on the bed.

I poured myself and Isaac cold glasses of water and sat down. The summer heat was similar to Brisbane's so it wasn't too bad.

"Zoya, they're here," Isaac said, poking his head out of our room. I nodded, handing him his glass of water. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I headed down to reception, where Asha and Maha were standing awkwardly.

"Assalamualaykum. Come on. Afrah already fell asleep after we brought her back," I said, leading them into the elevator and up to our room.

I sat them down and offered them tea and water. Maha looked nervous but Asha was calm and had a scowl on her face. I was starting to think that was what she always looked like.

"So today, we're going to go through everything that happened that afternoon. Don't be afraid to tell me exactly what happened. And I'll be taking notes as well," I said, dragging a chair from the dining table to the couch.

Maha nodded.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Asha asked, cocking her head.

"Yes. I've been a lawyer for 5 years now. Maha, whenever you're ready."

"It was the afternoon. I told you that yesterday. But when the men dragged me into the room, it was almost dark. There were 3 of them, two were short and they both had beards but the other one was tall. Like, your husband tall. They all spoke to each other first. I was tied up and they put something around my mouth so I couldn't speak. My bag was there as well, in the corner. I wanted to reach for it and get my phone but I was afraid that if I moved, they would come back to me," Maha dug her fingers into her palms.

"It's all right, take your time," I said.

She took a deep breath. "You know, no one ever teaches about these types of situations. I was lost and scared and I didn't know what to do. They stopped talking and the shorter one came and untied me. I thought, this is my chance. I can make a run for it. But I was wrong."

"Do you know who those men were? Could you give me names?" I urged.

She shook her head, "I felt so dirty. After they left, my dress and pants were ripped. I passed out but when I woke up I wanted to skin myself. I wanted to get rid of the body I was in."

My heart constricted.

"What they did to me, I don't want to remember. But I have to. They tall one is the only one I recognised, only because his face is always on the news. He's the son of the richest man in Mombasa."

"What's his name?"

"Sumaim Faris."

Asha gasped and covered her mouth with her hand.

"Do you know him, Asha?" I asked.

"He's, his dad is extremely influential. They own almost half of the fabric stores in Mombasa alone. Plus they have many illegal businesses as well."

I nodded, jotting everything down in my book. When I looked back up, Maha had tears in her eyes which she swiftly brushed away.

"Is it okay for you to tell me what kind of place they took you? Do you remember where the tuk tuk driver dropped you off?"

Maha shook her head.

"Okay. If you want to sue them and file a case against them, we're going to have to go to Mombasa. Since the incident happened there, and everyone is a Mombasa resident, that's our only option. We'll also have to talk with your parents," I said, watching both Asha and Maha.

Maha started, jerking from her place, "Why do we need to talk to my parents. You know, if you can't do this just tell us, we don't want to waste our time."

I held my hand up, "Calm down. We need your parents permission to put your name as the victim on the case. You're still underage."

Maha scowled before slumping back into the couch.

"I've already decided to take your case. But is it possible for us to go to Mombasa? We need enough proof to get him arrested, take the case to court and have him charged." I said.

Asha nodded, "There's the train that goes from Nairobi to Mombasa. It's quicker than a bus. But the bus is cheaper."

"Whatever is best for you. Isaac will be coming and since Maha is under your care, would it be possible for you to come as well?"

Asha hesitated. Her eyes dart between Maha and me. "I guess. I'm going to have to bring Afrah as well."

"She doesn't have school now, does she?"

"No, they have the summer holidays. I know a few people here so if we need to leave Afrah with someone, it can be arranged."

"I don't want you to be separated. As long as Afrah doesn't find out much about the case, everything should be fine." I looked up as Isaac walks in, giving Asha and Maha a quick nod.

"Afrah's awake. Should I bring her out?" Isaac whispered, pulling me close to him.

"Yeah. Did you hear everything?"

Isaac nodded. "I have one question."

"Yeah?"

"Can you represent Maha in court?"

I faltered, "No. I haven't told them yet."

"So you're lying then. Zoya..." Isaac trailed off, giving me one of his looks.

"I'm not lying. I'll be helping them with it. We'll just need to find a local lawyer who will be willing to take the case."

"And what if we don't?"

"Then I'll do whatever it takes to make sure that Maha receives justice," I said, determinedly.

Isaac caressed my cheek and gave me a soft smile, "And I'll be there, every step of the way." He gave me a quick peck on my cheek and went to fetch Afrah.

Afrah came up to me and grabbed my hand. Isaac bid us a quick farewell before leaving for the Masjid. We walked back to Maha and Asha, who were engrossed in a heated discussion in Swahili. As soon as Afrah saw her mother, she left my hand and sat on her lap, hugging her.

"Mama, I'm so happy you're here! Aunty Zoya and Uncle Isaac took me to the park and we had so much fun! Maha, you should have come with us, it was amazing!"

"I'm sure it was baby, but we have to go back now," Asha said, a soft lilt in her voice.

"Why don't you let Isaac and I drop you off? It's already Maghrib time so you can pray then we can all leave together?" I suggested.

Asha glanced at her phone, checking the time. It really was Maghrib time, I hadn't been lying. She sighed and agreed to stay for Maghrib and Isaac dropping them off.

I slapped my hands together, "Great! I have two prayer mats and the bathroom is right there if you want to make Wudhu. Isaac's going to the Masjid but he'll be back really soon."

Asha said she needed to make wudhu so I pointed out the bathroom then set up the mats. Afrah asked for a spare scarf and I gave one to her, helping her put it on as well. Maha was still sitting in her place, her usual bored expression on her face.

"Maha, aren't you going to pray?" I asked, pushing Afrah's scarf back so her eyes weren't covered. The young girl gave me a cheeky grin before standing on the mat.

"No," she said.

"Oh, you're not praying today?" I asked.

"No. I just don't pray."

"You don't pray? Why?" I was startled, to say the least.

"I don't want to. And what's it to you, anyway?"

Asha came back just in time for her to see Maha throw me a cold glare. I moved back, still in shock. Asha gave Maha a questioning stare before joining her daughter in praying. I slowly walked around them, heading to the bathroom. These girls were full of surprises. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 614 36
This story is about Zoya and Aryaan. On the day of her wedding, Zoya finds out a disturbing truth about her parents' death. A series of events take p...
26.5K 1.8K 22
Zoya had love in her life and life in everything she did. She had known only smiles and innocence. But her life takes a complete turn at a point whic...
752K 24.6K 52
Zoya Anwar an innocent Muslim girl. She is hardworking, always smiling, and is always ready to help others. Men were all over her whenever someone sa...
30K 2.3K 39
An orphan, Zoya, who lost her parents at a very young age, has always craved for love. When God snatched the people who used to love her, she chooses...