The Delfe Treasure

By ZonderZorg

Aldrick is obsessed with finding his grandfather's treasure. More than half a century and seventeen voyages h... More

Introductory Matter
1. The Montfords
2. Meeting Grandfather
3. Maps and Plans
4. Of Ships and Crew
5. Details and Complications
6. Of Coming Together
7. North from London
8. Into the Midlands
9. St Albans and Onward
10. Of Wisdom and Kindness
11. Stoneleigh Abbey
13. Of Love and Marriage
14. Of Maps and Plots
15. Of Position and Comfort
16. Fit-out and Aboard
17. To Sea
18. Sea Trials
19. Evening Aboard
20. From Trial to Reality
21. Southward
22. Westward
23. After the Storm
24. Landfall
25. Islands and Moonlight
26. The Anchorage
27. Shipwreck
28. Roar as a Lion
29. Dawn Ashore
30. Roberts
31. The Delfe Treasure
32. Decisions
33. To Sea Again
34. The Route Onward
35. Toward Shelter
36. Haven
37. Calm in the Storm
38. Recognitions
39. Sharing with the Crew
40. The Measure of a Man
41. Gambolling Ashore
42. The French
43. Of Baring All
44. Of Crew and Tails
45. Southward Again
46. Toward Jamaica
47. Port Royal and Kingston
48. Complications
49. The Red Lion
50. Captain Peters
51. Resolution
52. Realisations
53. Of Independence
54. New Beginnings
55. An Evening Ashore
56. The Governor
57. Northward
58. Distress
59. Rescue
60. Truthful Deceit
61. Return to Treasure Island
62. Homeward
Some of My Other Stories

12. The Baron Leigh Family

260 46 158
By ZonderZorg

The barking of the dogs had brought the footman from the house, and he scurried back inside to announce the arrival of Lady Elizabeth. By the time Aldrick reined the horses to a stop at the door, a small crowd had gathered in the courtyard. Baron Leigh strode across to the carriage to catch Elizabeth as she leapt from the step into his outstretched arms.

The baron and his first-born remained in a tight embrace while Aldrick climbed down to open the door, lower the step and assist Judith down. Wilson followed, then the three stood back and watched as more people assembled. A woman stepped forward and approached Wilson, introducing herself as Elizabeth's mother, Anne. "Pay no mind to them. They often forget propriety." She shrugged. "Welcome to the family." 

Aldrick smiled at the misunderstanding, then with a bow and a sweep of his arm, he said, "Thank you, Your Ladyship. May I present Wilson, my coachman? And this is Mistress Hodgins, Elizabeth's lady's maid. We are delighted to meet you."  

Anne laughed aloud as she assessed the two men. "I should have guessed. Elizabeth had written that you are much taller than is she. And that you wear a beard." She offered her hand. 

By this time, five more people had approached, Wilson and Judith had withdrawn, and Elizabeth brought her father into the small gathering. Edward shook hands with Aldrick; then he introduced his children who had arranged themselves in descending age. "My heir, Thomas, his brothers, William, Henry and George, and our youngest, Mary."

Aldrick shook hands with the young men; then he took Mary's to his lips.

"We had not expected you until the end of the afternoon. Did the storm not reach the Gap?" 

"We continued to Rugby yesterday, Papa." Elizabeth motioned toward the house and smiled. "Shall we go in? There is more privacy for my need there than I might find here in the courtyard." 

Anne laughed. "You will never change, will you? Always so forward. Come. We will sit and sip tea while we await dinner, and you can share tales of your new adventures."

Elizabeth returned the greetings of the assembled house staff as she walked toward the door, then she stopped to examine the plaque mounted above it. "A new one?"

"By looks, but no. Mary had the maids clean it, then she repainted to make it fresh for everyone as they arrive. It had become rather faded over the years." 

Elizabeth ruffled Mary's hair and led her through the door ahead of the others. "A splendid job. You must show me what new you have painted."

"And you must tell me what it is like to be with a man you love."

She put a finger to her lips. "Hush, little miss, else others will hear."

Mary blushed then looked over her shoulder. "They are still out the door and cannot hear us."

"There is too much for now. Far more than I dared write in my letters lest they be seen. We shall talk later when you show me your new art."

A few minutes later, after having relieved and refreshed themselves from their travel, Elizabeth and Aldrick joined the others in the drawing room. Partway through Anne's recitation of a long list of guests who had accepted, Elizabeth interrupted, "Mother! I had told you we wished only a small, intimate gathering."

"But, you know we cannot invite some without others. If we expect Marquis Powis and the Countess to attend, we must also invite the Duke and Duchess of Bedford." She shrugged. "And so it goes down the list."

Elizabeth heaved a heavy sigh. "So, how many have you invited?"

Anne tilted her head side-to-side. "With the irregularity of the mail, I am still awaiting replies from a few. You did not give us long notice."

"Seven weeks. How many, Mother?"

"I have instructed the cook to prepare for sixty."

"Sixty? Mother!"

"Including us." She blushed. "And Bishop Smalbroke who will perform the ceremony."

"And where have you thought to do this?"

"In the west wing salon. I have had all the furniture removed, and —"

"On what will they sit? Will the salon hold that many?"

"With all the other furniture removed, we can arrange it like a chapel. We have the twenty-eight dining chairs, and there are two chairs from each of the guest bedrooms, so well over sixty. "

"And to eat?"

"Do you recall how impressed we were at the ball in Burlington House the end of your final season? The food ranged on the great table down the centre of the room, and the guests serving themselves while standing."

Elizabeth nodded. "Our dining table is easily large enough for that."

"This was my thought, and after the ceremony, we can have chairs brought in from the salon for those who need to sit."

Aldrick had sat quietly watching the interaction, enjoying the obvious love and respect between the two women. He was startled out of his observation and introspection by a tap on his arm, and he looked up to see Edward standing beside him, motioning to the door.

He rose and followed, and once through the doorway, the baron said, "We will leave the two of them with the arrangements. Walk with me, and we will talk." He was quiet for a short while, then he asked, "Do you still believe you can handle her?" 

"Even more than when last we talked. I allow her to be herself, and she returns it in kind. We share a similar spirit and a similar passion for life." 

"Does her eccentric behaviour frighten you?"

"It intrigues me, as I think mine does her."

"And I assume you have had union."

"From the beginning. And I attest she had been a maiden."

"And since Mistress Hodgins?"

"She has ensured our behaviour has not been seen by others."

"You are a frank and honest man. But I knew that when first we met. Elizabeth would not have chosen otherwise."

"Thank you, My Lord." They turned a corner and continued down a long hallway. "You have raised a superb daughter, one who can be held as an example for all women."

"Unfortunately, most men do not think this way. In the past, many such women were labelled as witches, and now, increasingly as hysterical."

"If she were a man, she would be highly respected for her strength of character, her intelligence, her adventurous nature, her spirit."

"Indeed." The baron nodded in thought. "Elizabeth is my first-born, and she is far more suited to succeed me than is my lawful heir." He opened a door and ushered Aldrick into the salon.

"Two days hence, in this room, I give part of my being to you. Respect her as you respect yourself."

"I shall always."

They stared at each other in silence, then embraced.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

An Unexpected Love By Nikki

Historical Fiction

1.2M 54.4K 54
*Highest Rank #1 in Historical Fiction* Shy and awkward Elizabeth Montgomery doesn't think she'll ever find love. As her family's former plantation s...
11.2K 1.1K 52
Stuart Windes was an Englishman and a seasoned sailor; an old salt with 30 years at sea. When his mother passed on leaving his younger sister alone...
378K 16.6K 37
A privileged runaway. A notorious pirate. A vengeful lawman. A bloodthirsty killer. A young woman turns to a life of piracy to escape a life of pri...
2.4K 42 16
James Norrington goes out to sea to capture the brilliant Captain Jack Sparrow and has been missing for months.The Commodore goes through a frighteni...