Haunted By My Future

By HatiCang

In a life filled with fear and sadness, a girl decided to break free. Her once tedious life changed drastical... More

Chapter 1: Having a Break
Chapter 2: Unusual Strangers
Chapter 3: Unprepared Trip
Chapter 4: Disaster
Chapter 5: The Journey
Chapter 6: Mafipinos
Chapter 7: Tabang! Tabang!
Chapter 8: Hot Businessman
Chapter 9: Secrets
Chapter 10: A Friend
Chapter 11: I Do!
Chapter 12: Tell Me
Chapter 13: A Kiss
Chapter 14: A Hero
Chapter 15: Food
Chapter 16: Friendship
Chapter 17: I'm here
Chapter 18: Biggest Mistake
Chapter 19: Dereck
Chapter 20: Undergoing Mystery
Chapter 21: A Week
Chapter 22: Shopping Queen
Chapter 23: Seeing You Again
Chapter 24: Unspoken Actions
Chapter 25: The Truth.
Chapter 26: My Past
Chapter 27: Something's Up
Chapter 28: Dinner For Two
Chapter 29: Who Are You?
Chapter 30: New Rules
Chapter 31: Messing Everything Up
Chapter 32: This Is My Chance
Chapter 33: The Wind And The Leaf
Chapter 34: Unknown Company
Chapter 35: Work It!
Chapter 36: Adecuate Conversation
Chapter 37: A Game
Chapter 38: Blooming Garden
Chapter 39: A New Chapter Has Begun
Chapter 40: Consequences
Chapter 41: You Don't Say?!
Chapter 42: A Change.
Chapter 43: First Steps
Chapter 44: It's Either Just Me Or Us
Chapter 45: If You
Chapter 46: Both Sides
Chapter 47: A Second Chance
Chapter 49: Time Is Money!
Chaper 50: Frustrating Business
Chapter 51: Just A Few Seconds
Chapter 52: Into The Bin!
Chapter 53: Dean and Ellen Agnello
Chapter 54: First Investigatons.
Chapter 55: The Mask Fell
Chapter 56: Love Is In The Air
Chapter 57: am I doing the right thing?
Chapter 58: Numb.
Chapter 59: The Shades of Curiosity

Chapter 48: Work, Work, Work

477 26 2
By HatiCang

"Okay, Let's get this done" I mumbled to myself and took the huge bunch of papers lying on Josh's table. I came to work earlier in order to have it more easier to find back my working sense, after not being at work for a long time.

"What are you doing there?!" Josh asked me from behind. Turning around, I saw him holding two cups of hot chocolate, while looking confused at me.

"I thought of working a bit earlier in order to work myself more quickly in" I simply told him and showed him a little smile.

"Oh no no no, take this and leave it for me! Just look that you take enough time to live yourself more in! I don't want to loose you again okay?"

"But you can't just take all the work and pay me the double than you did before!"

Silence. The door opened and Mr. Smith went inside, signalizing me to follow him. Josh next to me ignored his father and immediately sat on the chair, taking a handful of papers.

While following Mr. Smith, my curiosity rises and I gave my best to not pull out a bucket of questions without reaching his office first. All of the workers were working hardly on their work and looked focused on it. I didn't even noticed all of them, the moment  I entered the building. Various of calls and conversations filled this huge working space. My working space was one of the few that was completely separated from the other ones.

"After you" Mr. Smith showed me a hand gesture to get inside first, while he held the door open.

While walking inside, I didn't seated myself to the chair and decided to stand instead. Mr. Smith walked past me and directly went to his desk to pick up a few papers. The papers he picked up, came out to be my resignation papers. Without changing much questions and answers, I took the papers and read through them clearly. As I was told yesterday, my payment was doubled, with the same amount of work hours I was doing before.After signing my agreement, I went back to my working space and took the hot chocolate that Josh had bought me 15 minutes ago.

"Thank you!"

The day passed by as I expected it to be: boring! Especially after Josh didn't gave me any chance to work properly on my first day. It actually amused me, that he worked this hard to show me, how much he really needed me back in order to get Mary out of this room. Later on that day, Josh told me that our pregnant coworker (who was working with Josh and I together in this office), leaved this work behind to fully concentrate on her family and her new living.

"Soo..., see you tomorrow then" I waved my hand as a goodbye and Josh said his goodbye too, while packing his things. Down the hallway, old memory's came back in mind and I couldn't resist hiding my smile. Somehow it actually felt good to be back. Especially knowing that a certain person missed me in order to kick someone out of the room. 

The night sky was yet again not showing it's beauty. The clouds made the streets look more darker than they were and I was walking down the streets, with lanterns over me. While looking down to the street above me, someone (or let me just say some) people took my attention. While trying to convince my bad side to ignore them and just simply walk further, my bad side decided to even walk over there and watch what they were doing.  

"Are you sure you want to do this sir?" A bit of a old man in a black suit talked to a man in front of him. He had grey hair and a bit of facial hair, which somehow really suited to his face shape. 'He looks like someone from a good household'. His posture looked perfect, like someone who did a job of a servant or something like that. Somehow, while looking over to that man, an odd feeling came upon me. It took me a minute until I realized who he was. 

"Isn't that the man who talked to me the day Drake and I went out eating a dinner together? Oh shoot-, he's that man! And why does he know my full name?!" I mumbled to myself and gave my best to stay hidden as possible.

"Yes." A man who was a bit younger than him, walked down to his car. He was overall wearing a grey suit and a cap in the same shade as his suit on his head. His body frame was lean and he was wearing a white shirt and a grey vest under his grey jacket. His handkerchief was in white while his shoes were toned in a dark black. 

I always thought that Dwayne was spreading cold vibes out but I think I take back these words immediately. This man was on a whole new level. Cold, harsh and reckless. He looked like someone who could kill me without blinking at first.

A cold shiver went down my spine and I startet to look at my surrounding to find a way out of here. For the last time looking back, I saw a few more people joining the two of them. All of them were wearing suits too. While they were walking up to them, something metallic glistered in between their belt and jacket. Looking down to it, a gun in between their belt was visible until they hided them back again behind their jacket and bowed to the man in the grey suit. 

What is going up down there?!'

I really should go home before I get caught.'

.......................

Eight months had passed since. The days stayed the same, only the work I was participating had changed over the days. The only difference that had occurred was that Josh was giving me some more work to do, than I had done on my first day.

The nights stayed the same too. Every night, while lying in bed I always thought about them.
I was missing them so hardly and I can't even do anything against it. I missed the times we were watching a bunch of movies and series on one day, or the games we had played together. They became a huge part of my life. Now I'm sitting here in the darkness all alone in this tiny living space, without having anyone to talk to. Especially Dwayne's words didn't left my head.

"I can't tell you the reason. I just want you to be safe, safe for now"

Picking out my suitcase out under my bed, I opened it and took out the adoption papers to read through them.

"There's not much written on it about your parents"

There wasn't much written about my parents at all. Nothing. I was adopted from New York while I was barely a year old.The only information I had, was that I was found on the streets of New York from Kate and James. I was crying in a corner of the streets, well hided from curios eyes. Since there was no one who told the police that I was missed, Kate and James decided to adopt me two months after and take me with them to England. Since the day I was adopted, I didn't had a real name. Through the whole papers, they called me 'Holly' even before Kate and James had adopted me. What makes this feel completely odd is the fact that I was wearing a little bracelet in gold in which Holly was written and was in fact wearing wealthy clothing. There was no financial reason that they could've had left me because of that.

"I can't tell you the reason. I just want you to be safe, safe for now" Again Dwayne's words came back to my mind. 

What had happened back then? What was the reason, you would've had left me in a well hidden corner?"How should I even begin searching?" Sighing, I looked up to the ceiling and thought over everything again.

The first thing I could do would call the orphanage and ask them if someone had called them afterwards. But that would've mean, I have to call the police station from New York too. If I call them, It would be harder to understand the papers (if there are pictures in it) or something in common for me to see. 

'Or I hop into the plane and go over there for a few days.' I mean, I have the money for that. It's not like I don't have any. In these past months I had saved much more money than I thought I would do. This apartment doesn't cost much too, so there's nothing that could say anything against it!

The next morning, I went to the office of Mr. Smith and told him clearly, that I want to use some of my vacation days as soon as possible. He was silent for a couple of minutes at first but then looked over to the computer, checking out something and looked back to me. 

"The whole week next week. Is that as soon as possible?"

"Yes, yes! Thank you!" I thanked him and leaved the room afterwards, immediately walking over to my office.

"Hello Josh!" I greeted him happily and quickly pressed the power button of my computer.

"Someone's pretty happy today! Is that a good or bad sign?" Josh asked me suspiciously

"I just got a week off" I told him and searched for some tickets for next week. 

A week...

_______________________________________________________________________

Hey Lovelies,

Have you noticed something while reading through the male character?

And I just noticed how bad I am at writing my last words to you as a reader...

I just want you to know, I really give my best to sound as nicely as possible, otherwise I would sound like a pretty emotionless person... 🤣

Have a lovely day

Hati.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27K 2.5K 77
Have you ever sunk so low that you actually felt relieved, knowing that it couldn't possibly get any worse? Well, I have... Many times. I lost ever...
VICENZO By Walnut

Short Story

1.5M 38.6K 74
Raised in the Mafia, I have known no other life other than cold calculated violence and discipline. A life where brutality is praised and weakness is...
1.4K 139 44
Every story has a hero. It doesn't mean it has to be a guy or a knight in shining armour. "Heroes are overrated. I prefer saviors. Or even better sur...
5.1M 154K 51
(BOOK 1 OF MAFIA LOVE SERIES) [COMPLETED & EDITING] * "Arie," he whispered, his smile dropping as he closed the distance between us. "I'm s...