From Wyoming, to Middle-earth

By lotr_love

Nightmares haunt her nights and she has no idea why. She sees things in the shadows; sees ethereal beings; s... More

Chap. 1 - The Fortune
Chap. 2 - The Expedition
Chap. 3 - The Portal in the Grass
Chap. 4 - The Meeting
Chap. 5 - Bree and Beer
Chap. 6 - Hobbits and The Ring Wraiths
Chap. 7 - Breakfast Items
Chap. 8 - Ring Wraiths and an Elf
Chap. 9 - Healing and The Council Invite
Chap. 10 - The Locket
Chap. 11 - The Council of Elrond
Chap. 12 - The Journey Out
Chap. 13 - Crebain and Caradhas Pass
Chap. 14 - Mines of Moria Pt. 1
Chap. 15 - Mines of Moria Pt. 2
Chap. 16 - Mines of Moria Pt. 3
Chap. 17 - Lothlórien
Chap. 18 - Jealousy Conquers All
Chap. 19 - Reunited With A Decision
Chap. 20 - The Departure and Gifts
Chap. 21 - The Argonath and the Kidnapping
Chap. 22 - Riders of Rohan
Chap. 23 - Fangorn and Shadowfax
Chap. 24 - Edoras and Théoden
Chap. 25 - Arroch and the Road to Helms Deep
Chap. 26 - The Wargs
Chap. 27 - Helms Deep and The Return
Chap. 28 - The Preparations
Chap. 29 - Elves, Uruk-Hai, and the Victory
Chap. 30 - Isengard and Hobbits
Chap. 31 - The Celebration and the Palantir
Chap. 33 - The Armor and the Ride to Death
Chap. 34 - Arrows and the Rescue
Chap. 35 - The White Flower
Chap. 36 - The Fire and the Witch King
Chap. 37 - Houses of Healing
Chap. 38 - The Falling Eye
Chap. 39 - Aùnya and Police Officers
Chap. 40 - Farewells and the Ring

Chap. 32 - The Stables and Minas Tirith

5.6K 180 18
By lotr_love

I groomed Arroch, and pet him, and then I decided that I should go back to the Golden Hall. I ran up the stairs and ran into Èomer.

"Sorry, Èomer," I said awkwardly. I still felt bad about last night.

Èomer nodded, "It's alright. I'm sorry.. About last night. I should not have tried to kiss you. I angered Aragorn."

"I'm sorry as well. I feel terrible still," I said, and looked at the ground.

"It's not your fault. It's mine. I acted quickly, and boldly," Èomer said. He looked back at the great hall, "I need to depart. I'm helping to train a new stallion."

I stepped out of his way, "Be careful."

He nodded, and laughed, "I will." He went down the stairs, and I went up.

I shoved the huge wooden doors open and walked in. Gandalf, Aragorn, Pippin, Merry, and others were talking with King Théoden.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring. We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the Heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still, strength perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of Men. If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war," Gandalf was saying. I walked up to Aragorn and the others.

"Tell me; why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?" Théoden asked.

Aragorn stepped up, "I will go."

"No!" Gandalf snapped.

"They must be warned!" Aragorn said.

"They will be," Gandalf says, and turns to Aragorn, "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river. Look to the black ships." Gandalf looked at the rest of us, "Understand this: Things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith. And I won't be going alone."

Gandalf turns to me, and motions for me to follow him. Pippin and Merry came after us. I was confused. Where was I going? What was happening? Gandalf threw some food into a small bag, and left the Hall.

"Of all the inquisitive Hobbits, Peregrin Took, you are the worst! Hurry, hurry!" Gandalf said, as we made our way to the stables.

"Where are we going?" Pippin asked. Merry turned to him, "Why did you look? Why do you always have to look?"

"I don't know. I can't help it," Pippin said. I left the two friends some privacy, and went into the stables.

"Alex, saddle up Arroch. Quickly now!" Gandalf said. I hastily saddled up Arroch. I was nervous. Where was I going? Aragorn ran into the barn, "Gandalf! Why are you taking her?"

Gandalf turned to Aragorn, "I could use some extra protection. And I need someone to watch Pippin while I talk with the Steward."

"Gondor is at risk for attack! I will come instead! It is not safe for her," Aragorn argued.

"Alex is not safe anywhere!" Gandalf yelled. He picked up Pippin, and got up onto Shadowfax. He rode out into the village.

I led Arroch out of his stall. Aragorn stood at the doorway, his face blank.

"Alex, don't go. I won't be able to protect you," Aragorn said.

"I have to! I'm sorry, Aragorn. I.." My voice broke and tears stung my eyes.

Aragorn's eyes watered, and he hugged me, "I'm afraid this is the last time I'll see you again."

I started to sob into his shoulder, "Don't say that! Don't. Don't say that."

"I'm coming with you," Aragorn said, and kissed my cheek.

"No. You have to stay! Gandalf... I have to go," I said, and pulled away. A single tear dropped out of his eye. I wiped my face, and clutched Arroch's reins. I started to climb onto Arroch, and looked at him. I stopped, and jumped off of Arroch. I ran to him, and hugged him one last time.

"I don't want to go, Aragorn," I cried. His voice seemed thick, "Then don't! Stay here!"

"Gandalf said he needs me. I have to. He's waiting for me, Aragorn," I said, and took in a raspy breath. He wiped my eyes gently and kissed me one last time. I climbed back onto Arroch, and walked slowly to the gates where Gandalf was waiting. I looked back at Aragorn, who seemed to be sobbing lightly. I wiped my eyes and nose, and left the security of Edoras.

I love you, Aragorn. I thought with all my might. We galloped away from Edoras, and we were on our way to Minas Tirith.

~ARAGORN'S POINT OF VIEW~

"I love you." I said softly.

I watched Alex and Arroch leave the village. I wiped my eyes. I was worried for her safety. I didn't realized Merry was standing further down the small road. Once Gandalf, Pippin, and Alex disappeared from sight, he ran to the watchtower.

"Merry!" I yelled, and ran after him. I shoved past a guard, and reached the top of the tower. Shadowfax's coat glimmered in the morning sunlight, and Arroch's brown coat shimmered.

"He's always followed me, everywhere I went, since before we were tweens. I would get him into the worst sort of trouble, but I was always there to get him out. Now he's gone. Just like Frodo and Sam. Now even Alex is gone. Everyone I love is gone," Merry sighed.

"One thing I have learned about Hobbits: They're a most hardy folk," I said, and put my hand on his small shoulder. I watched Alex's green cloak wave in the wind behind her. We stayed and watched them ride until we couldn't see them anymore.

~ALEX'S POINT OF VIEW~

As we rode, the wind dried my tears. I sucked in my feelings, and held them in. We rode for at least a day at full gallop. We stopped to make camp, and I let Arroch rest. He was extremely tired from the long ride. To release my anger, I walked into the forest while Gandalf and Pippin were making a campfire. I unsheathed my sword and swung it around. A small, dead tree stood in front of me. I screamed out my anger and sadness, and swung my sword. The blade sliced through the tree with surprising ease. The tree stayed put. I screamed again and kicked it, and the top half of the tree fell onto the ground. There. I felt a little better. I walked back to the camp, and unrolled my sleeping pad that was on Arroch's saddle. Gandalf handed me a small plate of bacon and some cooked tomatoes. I murmured my thanks, and ate it quickly. I laid down on my sleeping pad, and sobbed myself to sleep. I woke up in the early morning, and Gandalf was already awake. He handed me some lembas bread, and woke Pippin up. We packed quickly, and got back on the road to Minas Tirith again. Arroch seemed to be energized again, and we rode at full gallop again. Pippin fell asleep again.

In the afternoon, Pippin woke up again.

"Where are we?" Pippin asked.

"We just passed into the realm of Gondor," Gandalf said.

We rode for what seemed like an hour more, and we slowed and let the horses rest. Well, we actually let Arroch rest. Shadowfax didn't even seem tired. But then again, he was a horse lord.

"Minas Tirith. City of kings," Gandalf said. I looked out to the mountains. A white city gleamed in the sunlight. I now know why Boromir talked about Minas Tirith all the time. We started to gallop towards the city. Guards opened up the gigantic gate for us, and we rode through the city. People stared at us as we galloped up and around the many levels of the city. Men were staring at me in disbelief. Pfft. Apparently they have never seen a woman riding a horse with weapons on.

"Make way!" Gandalf yells as we enter a crowded level. We rode up a long ramp, and the horses' hooves hit the stone loudly. We reached the top of the city, and trotted to a small area with green grass and a white tree.

We dismounted the horses, and Pippin piped up, "It's the tree! Gandalf!"

"Yes, the White Tree of Gondor. The tree of the king. Lord Denethor, however, is not king. He is a steward only, a caretaker of the throne," Gandalf said, walking swiftly. We stopped outside of the castle's doors. He turned to Pippin, "Now listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took."

Pippin nodded, and we walked inside. A man sat at the end of the hall in a black throne. As we walked through the hall, I felt like I was being watched by the statues the lined the sides of the walls. Sunlight streamed through the huge windows.

"Hail Denethor, son of Ecthelion, lord and steward of Gondor. I come with tidings in this dark hour and with counsel," Gandalf said. We all bowed in respect.

Lord Denethor clutched a horn that looked strangely familiar. Boromir! "Perhaps you come to explain this. Perhaps you come to tell me why my son is dead."

We all froze, but Pippin stepped forwards and kneeled. "Pippin!" Gandalf said.

"Boromir died to save us, my kinsman and me. He fell defending us from many foes," Pippin said, and looked at me, "I offer you my service, such as it is, in payment of this debt."

I stepped forwards as well. I was friends with Boromir, and he had died to protect me, "And you have my service, my lord." I kneeled in front of the man.

"This is my first command to you. How did you escape and my son did not, so mighty a man as he was?" Lord Denethor said.

"The mightiest man may be slain by one arrow and Boromir was pierced by many," Pippin said. Gandalf's staff wacked him in the back, "Get up!"

We both stood up quickly, and backed away.

Gandalf turns to Lord Denethor, "My Lord, there will be a time to grieve for Boromir, but it is not now. War is coming. The enemy is on your doorstep. As steward, you are charged with the defense of this city. Where are Gondor's armies? You still have friends. You are not alone in this fight. Send word to Théoden of Rohan. Light the beacons."

"You think you are wise, Mithrandir. Yet for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor. And with your right you would seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Théoden of Rohan. Oh yes. Word has reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn. And I tell you now, I will not bow to this Ranger from the North, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship," Denethor snarled. I glared at the man. How dare he?

"Authority is not given you to deny the return of the king, Steward," Gandalf scoffed back.

"The rule of Gondor is mine, and no other's!" Denethor yelled, and stood up.

Gandalf looked at the man with distaste, and turned to us, "Come. All has turned to vain ambition. He would even use his grief as a cloak. A thousand years this city has stood."

We walked back out into the courtyard, "Now, at the whim of a madman, it will fall. And the White Tree, the tree of the king, will never bloom again."

"Why are they still guarding it?" Pippin asked.

"They guard it because they have hope. A faint and fading hope that one day it will flower. That a king will come and this city will be as it once was, before it fell into decay. The old wisdom borne out of the West was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls, musing on heraldry or in high, cold towers, asking questions of the stars. And so the people of Gondor fell into ruin. The line of kings failed. The White Tree withered. The rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men," Gandalf said.

I looked out to where Mordor was. Pippin looked out as well, "A storm is coming."

"This is not the weather of the world. This is a device of Sauron's making. A broil of fume he sends ahead of his host. The Orcs of Mordor have no love of daylight, so he covers the face of the sun to ease their passage along the road to war. When the Shadow of Mordor reaches this city it will begin," Gandalf said, and looked out to the clouds.

"Well, Minas Tirith, very impressive. So where are we off to next?," Pippin asked. I almost laughed aloud.

"Oh, it's too late for that, Peregrin. There's no leaving this city. Help must come to us," Gandalf said. I shivered at his statement.

WOOP! THIS WAS INTENSE. XD

I FELT SO BAD WHEN I WAS TYPING THE GOODBYE SCENE! ANYWAYS... ROMANCE IS COOL. ACTUALLY IT'S THE BOMB <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 255 29
Darkness falls and he appears out of thin air. Where did he come from? Why is he here? It's all confusing and completely insane, but this incident br...
207 13 2
also published on ao3 (ishipjawnlock) -- "Do you think they'd believe me if I told them the Prince of Mirkwood drags me into the woods every night to...
3K 248 17
When dreams stop being dreams, things get confusing. Anna is back - back in a place she once thought was just a product of her imagination. The silve...
1.9K 154 28
"Without love, immortality is a punishment. With it, a life drowning in pain." "Well then what are we if we do not suffer for that immortal love?" Ar...