Lane Assignments

By KatyJane495

How close can you get to the line without crossing into forbidden territory? A coach and his star athlete nav... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two/ Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Lucky Number Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Eighteen

45 11 2
By KatyJane495

Kate and I are at the Biscuit Bitch in downtown Seattle for a late brunch on my way back to Montesano. She says we need to celebrate my new job with mimosas, and I need to fill her in on... other events.

"I can't decide between the Cheesy Pork n' Bitch and the Hot Mess Bitch," I say. Although maybe Easy Bitch is more appropriate after this past weekend.

"The Hot Mess Bitch... definitely," says Kate as the waitress approaches. "A Smokin' Hot Bitch, a Hot Mess Bitch, two sides of fried SPAM, and two mimosas."

"It sounds like you just ordered us up a couple of hookers," I giggle, handing over my menu.

We clink our glasses together in a toast before digging into the greasy goodness on our plates.

"To new beginnings," Kate says, grinning brightly at me over her glass. "I'm so proud of you."

"Mmm. Thank you, Kate. It all happened so fast - it made my head spin. So... speaking of new beginnings... Um, did I mention that Coach Grey is the athletic director there?" I ask, trying to sound as if I'm making casual conversation.

Kate freezes with a forkful of Smokin' Hot Bitch halfway to her mouth. "What?!"

"Yeah... it's great. He just started that job last year, and now we'll be working together."

"Wait, wait... so as in Coach Hottie? As in the man you've had a crush on for like seven years?"

"Mmm hmm," I hum as I chew on a mouthful of my Hot Mess Bitch.

"So, did you see him? Did you talk to him? How was it?"

"Yeah, and it was fine... he was good."

"Just fine?" Kate cocks her head and narrows her eyes at me. Oh here we go... "Is he still hot?"

"Mmm hmm." Oh yeah he is. And then I can feel myself blushing as I remember how his - Shit.

"ANA. What. The. Fuck. Spill it."

I take a sip of my mimosa, my liquid courage. "I might have spent the weekend with him?"

"Wait, so he's not still married?"

"Nope."

"And you spent the weekend with him? At your hotel or at his house?"

"Both? Except that it's not a house, exactly? It's more of a shed, but on this amazing property..." and I launch into telling her all about it. "... and I know it all seems fast, but it just feels like..." What does it feel like? "Like we've already waited long enough, you know? It just feels right. And before I left this morning... he asked me to move in with him."

To her credit, Kate hears me out, quietly eating her brunch as I talk. She finishes her mimosa, and finally nods, letting me know that she's heard what I'm saying. She may not totally understand or agree. After all, I don't have the best history when it comes to relationships. But she also knows that it's always been him for me.

"Just take it at your own pace, okay?" She asks.

Kate pulls me in for a hug in the parking lot of the Biscuit Bitch, tells me that she's happy for me and that she'll be checking up on us. Maybe I'll invite her to come eat steaks with us behind the shed. That ought to be interesting.

I pull Wanda into traffic on I-5 South, heading toward Montesano and... Ray. I called him on Friday to let him know that I got the job offer, but that's the last time we talked. And I'd better fill him in myself, before he runs into Kate at the Bulldog Brew again.

Ray's in the living room, a Mariners game blaring from the TV, when I walk in the back door. He starts to get up, but I wave him off and head straight upstairs, Charlie at my heels. Shutting the door firmly behind us, I take a moment to wander around my childhood bedroom. How many times have I left this room behind as I headed off for somewhere new? And every time, it's been here patiently waiting for my return. Will this be the time that I finally leave for good? Because I finally find where I'm supposed to go? I hope so.

I quickly strip off my blouse and slacks, pull on my sweats, and wander into my little en suite bathroom. I lean against the counter, peering at my reflection in the oval mirror above the sink. I look the same as when I left three days ago - a girl who's healing, who's getting the color back in her cheeks - but I feel different. I feel happy and what? Complete. And a little sore.

I head back into my bedroom and dig out my phone, feeling a stupid grin stretch across my face when I see a message from him.

3:53 PM

Let me know when you're home safe, please. XO

I send him a quick reply knowing - feeling - that he'll be waiting for my text.

Safe and sound. Wanda took good care of me. X

I stare at my phone, waiting for his reply. I miss him already and it's been... less than four hours. The next two weeks are going to be hard, but I need to finish up my student teaching. And I need to spend some time with Ray, talking things through and stocking his freezer.

We'll discuss Wanda when you return. What are you wearing?

Oh my. Maybe the long-distance thing won't be so bad after all.

=/=/=/=

Two weeks later...

Ray shuts my car door and leans in, resting his tanned forearms on Wanda's hood. It's taken hours of talking, three cherry pies, and two long days spent fishing, but I think he's coming around.

"Off you go," He says. "Annie, you've always known your own mind. And I believe you when you say that you trust this man."

"Thanks, Daddy. I do."

"And you know that you can always come back home."

"I know." And I know that he's thinking of the two other times - the two other men - that hurt me when I went away.

"Love you, kiddo," he says, and finally stands and steps away.

"I love you too," I say, my vision starting to blur. And I got out of there before we both turned into puddles on the driveway.

=/=/=/=

I grind my way up the private lane, Wanda coughing and protesting the whole time. When the cloud of dust and exhaust clears, I'm rewarded by the most beautiful sight. Christian is sitting in a lawn chair, the door of the shed rolled part-way open on this warm and sunny day.

He grins and walks over to my door, pulling me up and into his arms as soon as I can get the door open.

"You're really here," he says, leaning in and kissing me softly along my jaw. "I was half afraid your father wouldn't let you go."

"I'm really here... and it was a close one. I had to promise him a trip up here to check things out. Complete with steaks and beer and fishing."

"That can be arranged," he says, peering into Wanda's back seat. "Is this all your stuff?"

"Yeah, just my clothes and my books... the necessities. I don't really have a lot." And what I do have belongs to my childhood or was left behind in Panama.

"Well, let's get your things inside and we can get you settled in, just hang out, or..." His eyes keep wandering back to my powder-blue baby.

"Wanda is a classic car... she's a vintage VW Beetle. Plus, she's in practically the same condition as when I left for college. I never took her with me."

"And that condition was unacceptable. Ana, please... new job, new car."

"I just signed my contract... I haven't gotten a paycheck yet," I protest.

"You can get something new for zero down."

"I don't - I don't have good credit," I stammer. "He took out some loans in my name and -" I can feel the color rising in my cheeks. This is so humiliating.

"I'll co-sign. Please. Heck, if you'd let me buy you a car, I would, but I know -"

"And you would be right. Okay... fine. I'll go look at cars with you."

"Right now?" His face lights up like a kid on Christmas morning. Oh, I've gotten myself involved with a car guy.

"Right now." Besides, I am not entirely sure that Wanda will make it up this hill again.

=/=/=/=

Christian insists on driving, even though it's my car that's the trade-in. He cruises slowly along the row of car dealerships that line the frontage road near Southcenter Mall.

"Audi?" He asks, sounding hopeful.

"NO."

"BMW... Range Rover..."

"No and NO. Come on, there must be some 'regular people' dealerships around here somewhere... Ooh! Subaru!"

Christian grimaces a little, but he pulls into the car lot, easing his R8 into a spot near the sales door. We are immediately greeted by a very eager-looking, twenty-something salesman. "Hiya, folks... I'm Weston. What can I do for you today? We've got some great deals going on... fabulous incentives."

Based on torrent of effeminate speech and the way that he's eagerly eyeing the car and my man, I can tell that Weston bats for the other team. I look at Christian's face and he's smirking as Weston looks him up and down. I think he's glad that at least Weston won't be hitting on me.

"Um, we're looking for a car for me," I say, drawing Weston's eyes to me for the first time.

"Wonderful. And will you be trading this lovely vehicle in?" He asks, practically salivating over the R8.

"NO, she won't," says Christian.

"I have a lovely, vintage 1967 Volkswagen Beetle. Original paint and engine," I say proudly. "And for the right price -"

Weston's face falls at Wanda's description, but then brightens as changes the subject. "Alrighty then... let's have a look at our line-up. As you may know, all Subarus are standard all-wheel drive. What kind of car are you looking for?"

"Well the four-wheel drive will be good... we live on top of a pretty steep road. Um, nothing too big... something that says me. I'll know it when I see it," I say confidently as we begin walking along the rows of cars.

And, suddenly, there she is... my new little girl. She's sitting by herself at the end of a row of dark-colored SUVs. She is a little hatchback wagon, and gloriously bright orange. It is love at first sight.

Christian follows my gaze, and he can tell by the look on my face that I'm a goner. "Ana, are you sure? I mean, I'm sure it comes in a variety of - colors."

"There are other car colors besides black, you know," I say, running my fingers lovingly along Hazel's shiny hood. "And orange is cheerful and... safe."

"This is a 2017 Impreza Wagon... all the bells and whistles... heated seats... XM Radio... integrated entertainment and phone... leather..." chirps Weston from behind us.

I manage to shut my mouth to avoid squealing in delight over her. This is a business transaction, after all. "I might be interested," I say. And her name is Hazel.

=/=/=/=

We found a vintage car dealer in Tacoma who was willing to trade piece of my soul for a sweaty handshake and $500 cash. After waving good-bye to Wanda, I drove us in Hazel, my brand new car, to the nearest running store.

"I have $500 in my pocket and I need new shoes... and so do you," I say, as I park her perfectly in front of the storefront advertising Brooks, Nike, and Runner's World magazine.

"I have running shoes -" Christian starts to protest, but I cut him off.

"If you haven't run in over a year, then they're no good. The rubber gets old, and the life of the shoe is compromised. Didn't your track coach ever teach you anything?" I joke.

"Fine... you win. So does this mean we're going to start running together?"

"I'd like to... I'm out of shape too, and you said there were lots of old logging roads up by your place?"

"Our place," he corrects. "And yes, there are trails. There are lots of - things - I'd like to explore with you," he says, taking my hand and sinking his teeth into my palm.

One hour later and $200 lighter, we both have new running shoes and sign-up sheets for running the "Beat the Bridge" 8K in one month, which is a family-friendly race where runners try to beat the ship canal bridge before they raise it in an hour's time.

"There's just one more place I wanted to go," I say. "I mapped it earlier and... there it is!"

Christian smiles when he sees where I'm headed. The Lovers' Package. I've never actually shopped for - toys - before, but I know what I like.

"If we're buying this stuff, it's going to be on me," Christian says firmly. "So put your money away."

"And to be used on me," I say softly. And my skin prickles in anticipation.

A/N: Thank you for your patience and support! 

((I am loving this photo teaser by Net Hook & Line Designs!))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 19.1K 24
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
377K 13.5K 58
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Ellie Sloan reunites with her older brother when her hospital merges with his jackson avery x ellie sloan (oc) season six ━ season se...
182K 4.9K 42
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...