Picking Up a General to Plow...

By jiminjamie97

This is a reincarnation story, where you have a normal woman who gets thrown into the body of a village girl... More

Chapter 1,2,3: Awakening
Chapter 4: Another unexpected Guest
Chapter 5: Breaking the engagement
Chapter 6: Ten liang isn't much
Chapter 7: Gifting Chicken eggs
Chapter 8- 9 : The two family's relationship
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 - Finally took back the grain
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 - Mrs Liu came to insult/yell again part 1
Chapter 20 Mrs Liu came to insult again (part 2)
Chapter 21 Forcing her to apologize
Chapter 22 - 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 - 40
Chapter 51 - 60
Chapter 61 - 62
Chapter 63 - Li Zheng Has A Big Announcement
Chapter 64 - Li Zheng Has A Big Announcement (2)
Chapter 65 - Li Zheng Has A Big Announcement (3)
Chapter 66 - Raising Funds
NOT AN UPDATE

Chapter 41 - 50

4.5K 115 22
By jiminjamie97

  Chapter 41: Don't know whether to cry or laugh

Nothing could scare Third Aunt more than a talk of sending her back to her husband's family. Now at Lian Family, she felt more and more comfortable--even though from the start Lian Fang Zhou didn't allow her to be the head. So it's better to honestly admit her misdeeds!

In one day, Third Aunt really outdid herself. Cleaning the yard and chopping the firewoods was the guy's work. While she at it, she told him to husk the rice. Afterward hearing from Lian Fang Qing that the taro have yet to be harvested, she took him to the field. And she ordered him to dig them out, carry it back and even hang them on the beam of the corridor.

"WHAT!?" Lian Fang Zhou's eyes widen. "You actually told him to work in the field? How could you do that!"

"No. It wasn't me!" Third Aunt saw that Lian Fang Zhou was absolutely furious, she immediately became anxious. She rushed to explain. "He, he came to tell me that he wanted to go to the nearby mountains to pick some medicinal herbs for his wounds. So I thought he's going to the mountains, might as well let him... on the way...on the way..."

Lian Fang Zhou felt with Third Aunt, she really didn't know what to say! She stamped her feet as she angrily scold: "What good things you done! He even said he's picking medicinal herbs for his wounds and you still made him do manual labour! Third Aunt, if it spreads out how we treat our saviour, what will people think of us then? And also, Qing'er and Che'er are still young. If they learn from this example, you'll ruin them! If something like that happens again, Third Aunt, we dare not let you stay."

ThirdAunt was irritated that Lian Fang Zhou keeping using these words, but that was her weakness. So no matter how mad, she could only endure. Except for that threat, Lian Fan Zhou always treated her fairly. Way better than her husband's family.

So Third Aunt grudgingly answered: "I understand, I understand."

Lian Fang Zhou was still extremely annoyed, she continued on: "You should sincerely mean it. Don't just agree with mouth! Didn't you want to go to the vegetable patch? Go on!"

"Yes," Third Aunt nodded. Then all of a sudden, she came closer to Lian Fang Zhou again.

"From what I see, why don't we let the guy stay. The guy got endless amount of energy. He's good at manual work and also honest and obedient--"

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou pointedly glare at her, her neck shrunk and immediately changed: "I'm going to the veggie patch!"

"Really---" Lian Fang Zhou let out a long sigh. She swiftly washed her hands and face and patted dust off her before turning to enter the house.

She going to ask for some medicinal tincture for the guy. Originally she said she'll ask for some today but who knew that she completely forgot once she went out early this morning. Causing him to find some medicinal herbs by himself. And conveniently exploited by Third Aunt--

Then again, she also have some fault in this too.

But unexpectedly this guy, who forgot he himself was, actually understood herbal medicine?

Very soon Lian Fang Zhou returned with a vial of

of a medicinal tincture in hand.

Lian Fang Zhou took the medicinal tincture inside the house. The guy was sitting in the middle of the room talking with Lian Ze and the two little ones. The twins were curious about the situation that day when he rescued their family. They continuously questioned him.

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou enter, they stopped talking and greeted: "Sister!"

Lian Fang Zhou acknowledged them and then continued:" I have something to say with this uncle, you guys go back to your room."

The three of them agreed as they stood up. Lian Fang Qing cheekily winked at her sister. She giggled as she corrected: "It's not uncle. It's big brother!"

Lian Fang Zhou came to a stop. The la.s.s has already entered her room with a laugh. She could only helplessly laugh.

Lian Fang Zhou tightened her grip on the vial and held it out to him. With a very apologetic smile, she said: "Originally I should have to ask for medicinal tincture in the morning. But it flew out of my mind. Here, take it and rub on your wounds."

The guy smiled: "That's very kind of you Eldest Miss!My wounds are really superficial. When Third Aunt asked me to help with digging taro, I happened to see some herbs I could use by the mountain side and picked some.When I came back, I ground them in the pestle and I smeared them on my skin. . I just need to apply it a few more times and it'll be better. There's really no need to trouble Eldest Miss."

Hearing this, Lian Fang Zhou gritted her teeth: 'Third Aunt actually lied to

lied to my face!She slyly reversed the order of events!'

"You should just take it!A tincture is more effective than raw herbs!" Not letting any room for discussion, Lian Fang Zhou placed the vial into his hand. Then with some embarra.s.sment: "You saved us, so you're our benefactor. Just rest properly. If Third Aunt tells you to do any more work, you don't need to bother with her. I'm the head of this family, so don't mind her! And also, don't call me Eldest Miss. Call me... Miss Lian!"

Lian Fang Zhou suddenly remember Third Aunt mention letting him stay. She immediately felt a bit out of place and guilty and thought, 'The person in front of me is obviously our saviour. But was made into a servant by that unreliable Third Aunt.'

Seeing the situation, the guy accept the vial and gave his thanks and kept speaking: "Miss, Miss Lian. Please don't blame Madam Third Aunt, she--"

"Madam Third Aunt!" Lian Fang Zhou was filled with rage. She immediately felt an impulse to teach Third Aunt a good lesson--so embarra.s.sing!

"Our family don't have any Madam Third Aunt," Lian Fang Zhou done her best to make her expression pleasant. With a slight smile: "In future please don't use such way of addressing. If other people hear, they'll be bent double laughing. Just like we are doing, call her Third Aunt!"

Afraid that Third Aunt would still say nonsense behind her back in future, with a stern face, she said: "Listen carefully, in this house, I make the decisions. It's enough if you just listen to me! If Third Aunt ever tell you to do something again, do something again, come discuss it with me first!"

The guy didn't care much about these t.i.tle matters, so he agreed with no second thoughts. Then continuing the previous topic: "As a matter of fact, I really only have some superficial injuries. It's really not hard for me to work, so don't blame Third Aunt!"

With a sheepish grin, "Honestly speaking, it's a fact that you saved me. So it's only right that I work for you."

Lian Fang Zhou gave a gentle sigh: It's better to stop here, cause if we keep quarrelling about this matter, don't know when we'll reach an agreement.

"Then let's say we don't owe each other! So in future, let's not mention it, alright? Now relax while you nurse your injuries!" Lian Fang Zhou grinned and decided to go see how Third Aunt is doing with the dinner.

Though his injuries weren't serious, he's still not completely well. No matter what Lian Fang Zhou doesn't have the heart to tell him to leave.

"Miss Lian!" The guy called out to stop her. His voice sounded a bit desperate.

Lian Fang Zhou halted and turned around. "Is there something that concerns you? If you have any requests, don't hesitate to ask!"

Although he looked unusual, he did not seem to be a person that could use a blackmail or a trick to gain an advantage. That's why Lian Fang Zhou said this with completely straightforwardly and happily.

"No matter what request, Miss Lian will promise me?" The guy's eyes brightened up and he as he quickly followed up. This made Lian Fang Zhou felt like he was waiting for her to say these words.

Chapter 42

Lian Fang Zhou hesitated a bit and then nodded: "As long as I am able to do it."

"You can! Of course you can!" The guy was so agitated that he unexpectedly stood up. Looking at Lian Fang Zhou he earnestly said, "Miss Lian, can you take me in?"

"Wh...What!" Lian Fang Zhou froze as her mind exploded.

"Can you take me in?" The guy looked at her earnestly as he asked and continued: "I won't eat free food. I can work for you!I am very robust, so no work is too hard for me! I just want...a place to shelter from the wind and rain. Can you promise me?"

The guy himself also didn't understand why he would make this kind of request, even after regaining his memory many years later.

In the end, he could only think of it as: This should be fate, right? Somehow it's heaven at work!

He got strong body and his look was very honest and sincere. As he wandered, so many people were persuading him to stay at their place but he tactfully declined all. But after reaching Lian Family's place, he actually don't want to leave. Not even one step.

The pair of bright deep black eyes gazed at her earnestly. His aura and att.i.tude were full of sincerity. This made Lian Fang Zhou immediately look away, not daring to look him--rejecting him would made you feel guilty and wrong.

"Sister, let Big Brother stay!" Unable to endure it anymore, Lian Ze came out of the room and spoke: " Now it's already late autumn and winter is coming soon. Where could Big Brother go to survive winter?"

"That's right! That's right, Sister! Winter is really cold! Really cold!"

"Sister, Big Brother is a good person. Let him stay!"

Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che also came over to help speak for the guy.

The three siblings all talking combined with that guy's eagered gaze made Lian Fang Zhou's head spin. She felt like she nearly can't take it all.

She can't help but feel curious: ever since Lian Ze saw the guy's martial art, his eyes kept on shining, so she know what he was planning. But the two little ones, why are they helping him with such gusto?

She didn't know that Lian Ze said this behind her back: "His martial art is very powerful. If he stay at our home, n.o.body would dare bully us, or bully sister! " And this completely persuaded Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che

While the three young one plead enthusiastically, Third Aunt popped in from outside and also spoke out: "Fang Zhou, let him stay then! The guy, he got so much strength. So it's perfect if he stays and works! With just you and Lian Ze, there's a lot of work you can't do... Well, I'm just stating the truth!"

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou glare at her, Third Aunt bitterly added the last sentence.

Lian Fang Zhou got a headache from all their noise and with addition to the guy's earnest expression, her heart softened. Unable to refrain from nodding, she spoke: "Alright! Then... we'll talk about it after winter pa.s.ses!"

Although the guy looks honest, but to know one's face is not to know one's heart!

She got to defend against the chance of it happening.

Lian Fang Zhou avoided a definite answer and kept an advantage for talking about it in future. Secondly, let him be mentally warned: I did not promise to let you stay!

Lian Fang Zhou also glanced at Third Aunt and thought that it was the right choice to let Third Aunt stay at the beginning! If Third Aunt wasn't here, with just them four siblings, they can't take him in no matter how pitiful he was.

Without any adult in the house, letting an unknown young man stay at their home while she is fifteen years old, those rumors and gossips could kill her!

With Third Aunt here, it's different.

Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che are still young, so they didn't understand the meaning of Lian Fang Zhou's words and kept on vigorously making a scene. They were so focused that they did not see that a smile already appearing on Lian Ze's face.

Third Aunt clapped her hands as she laughed: "You two are really silly. Why make a ruckus? Your sister already agreed!"

"Really?" Both Lian Fang Qing and Lian Ze were surprised and full of joy as they looked at her.

Lian Fang Zhou grinned: "For now, it's like this."

The three siblings shouted out in joy. The guy was also surprised and happy. He kept on thanking her.

Third Aunt smiled like a cheshire cat: we got a free worker to boss around! That's splendid!

The most important thing is that this guy is very polite to her, willing to listen to her. This is really, really perfect!

"You're welcome!" Lian Fang Zhou grinned. Seeing that everyone this happy, she also felt happy as well, nice and warm inside.

"Ah, since the big guy wants to stay in our home, he'll need a name, right?" Third Aunt suddenly mentioned.

Big guy?

Lian Fang Zhou's brow slightly, very slightly pinched. In her mind, she subconsciously imagined how Third Aunt high and mightily called him 'big guy' as she ordered him to work for the whole day today and felt she done him wrong.

"He should have a name!" Lian Fang Zhou nodded.

Third Aunt couldn't believe that Lian Fang Zhou actually didn't vetoed her words--- she didn't think how there's no reason to reject the idea.

With the newfound energy, she spoke with a very self-conceited smile: "I have already thought of a name, let's call him Yuan Bao (means: a shaped ingot of gold or silver, used as money or as a gift for luck and prosperity, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycee)!"

Lian Fang Zhou immediately started coughing---she choked on her own spit!

"No way! Too showy!" Lian glared at Third Aunt with outrage. Beside refuting her, she also have another meaning: if you don't know how to adjust, then talk less!

What kind of name is this! She felt too embarra.s.sed to even said it.

Big guy doesn't really care about what he is called. Hmm...however, his personal opinion is that he also doesn't like this name.

He turned to Lian Fang Zhou, with a sheepish smile: "How about Miss Lian give me a name! Feel free to call me whatever, it's fine as long as it's convenient to say."

Giving a name is an important matter, so of course it's more suitable for the family head handling it. The three younger siblings kept their mouth closed and they all stared at Lian Fang Zhou.

Lian Fang Zhou gave it some thought, then spoke out: "Let's call you Ah Jian then!"

"Alright, from now on, I'm called Ah Jian!" The big guy grinned as he nodded.

Naturally the three little one would agree with it. They then called out with a smile: "Big Brother Jian!"

"Ah Jian!" Third Aunt also called out once but also mumbled quietly: "I still feel that Yuan Bao sounds nicer..."

The three little ones didn't hear her and continued greeting Ah Jian. Lian Fang Zhou heard it and pretend she didn't hear her.

"That's all now. Time to eat! Everybody, don't you feel hungry?" Lian Fang Zou chuckled as she commented.

"Let's eat! Let's eat!" The children then started become busy as they grabbed the bowls and moved the stools. The swaying human shadows from faint yellow light were filled with faint warmth.

After that, Ah Jian stayed in Lian Family's home, sharing the room with the Lian brothers. To others, they say he is a distant relative of their mother. His family got no land, so firstly he came over to find a shelter and secondly to help the Lian siblings.

After Mrs Qiao found out, she once hid somewhere to secretly observe Ah Jian and saw that he is tall and strong. With one glance, she could tell he is filled with endless energy and not the kind that is thieving, crafty and lazy.

Immediately Mrs Qiao felt upset and extremely envious.

Maybe spread some rumors behind their back-- without thinking, it's obvious what kinds of words they are.

Lian Ze was boiling with anger. He wanted to immediately go to Uncle's house to ask for an explanation.

Inside, he is filled with remorse and regret: if he knew that letting Ah Jian would cause such trouble, he probably wouldn't have said those words! But...

Ah Jian felt terrible when he found out and was silent the whole day. Then turned to Lian Fang Zhou to bid farewell.

Chapter 43 

However, Lian Fang Zhou stopped him. She told him: "You're completely innocent. You are dignified and rightly staying at our home. I'm not even afraid, so why would you? If you left at this time, wouldn't it make it even more unexplainable! You stay here, and as the time becomes longer, everyone will naturally understand."

Not know why, but the appearance of Ah Jian is a ready-made evidence right now. Whoever saw him before would realize he is a straightforward and upright person. Even Aunt Zhang didn't say anything about him staying in their home out of goodwill.

Not only does Lian Fang Zhou persist on Ah Jian staying, she also didn't allow Lian Ze go to bother Mrs. Qiao. Instead, she troubled Third Aunt to instigate.

Third Aunt looked forward to the chance of going to Mrs. Qiao and berate her. She clapped her hands in joy and said to Lian Fang Zhou before heading to Lian Li's house: "Fang Zhou, just wait! That wicked heart dead b.i.t.c.h, she can't stand seeing others well off!"

Third Aunt headed to Lian Li and Mrs. Qiao's yard and sat at the entrance. She slapped her thigh and started wailing. Crying that her brother and sister-in-law are heartless, seeing that she is suffering and ignore it. With much difficulties, she finally settled down at her nieces' and nephews' and they started to instigate incidents with all possible method again. They can't stand seeing her well off and start a rumor to create trouble, ruining the nieces' and nephews' reputation. How frightening these intentions are, to not care about the blood relationship between them.

Originally Third Aunt's sharp tongue is very unforgiving, that's why there's discord between her and her in-law. Before coming here, she got some pointer from Lian Fang Zhou and she is also someone who goes all out and harbor deep hatred toward Mrs. Qiao. So she spares no effort when she bawled.

She cried and yelled at the top of lungs by herself, not caring that Mrs. Qiao can't discern what is happening. Everyone spectating felt pity for her the more they hear her complain in tears and started whispering. The eyes glancing at Mrs. Qiao changed.

Seeing the situation, Lian Li and Mrs. Qiao became angry, distressed and mad. They were impatient to pull Third Aunt into the house and then talk.

It's just that there's the ethic of no close contact between male and female once they're seven, even if Lian Li is her older brother. As he is also male. Even though the countryside isn't very particular about virtues, but the main rules still cannot be broken. Under everyone's gazes, it's not convenient for him to go pull Third Aunt himself.

First, let's not talk about the problem of manners, but he's very certain if he dares to reach out his hand to pull, his sister would definitely take the opportunity to wail out slanders.

No other way, only Mrs. Qiao could up to pull her. Mrs. Qiao even hoped for Third Aunt to resist. Making a move to fight with her would be even better.

However this time, Third Aunt became clever, when Mrs. Qiao came to pull her, she dodged instead of resisting. Not going as Mrs. Qiao wished, starting a fight.

Mrs. Qiao became mad and anxious. Both hands held her arm in a death grip and yelled. "I say, Third Aunt, if you have something to say then stand up first! Making a scene like this, what is it like? Acting so shamelessly! Even if you don't give us face, at least save your own face!"

"AHH... AHH.." Third Aunt screamed in pain. As she struggled, she yelled: "Let go, let me go! You're squeezing me to death! It hurt like h.e.l.l!"

"I didn't even..." Hearing Third Aunt shouting and yelling as she accused her, Mrs. Qiao was so angry. Just when she about refuted her, a 'rip' could be heard. Third Aunt's sleeve has been torn off by her!

Mrs. Qiao was immediately stunned on the spot.

Third Aunt quickly took back her arm, and shouted even louder: "Sister-in-law! You are so vicious-hearted! Don't think because you have a son studying for xiucai exam, you can act so condescending! I let you know, you treat your sister-in-law so black-hearted like this, other people just need to say 'How could a son from this family possibly have any good character or conduct? And also what qualification to take the Xiucai exam?'. Then your son can forget about it. Under everyone's face, you dare secretly viciously pinch me, wring my flesh and rip off my clothes. If no one was here, then wouldn't you have killed me? I ... I shall go to the County School and discuss with the school teacher tomorrow!"

Third Aunt smirked inside. If she didn't make perfect preparation, would she have come? If Mrs. Qiao didn't make a move, then it's fine. But once she makes her move, her own clothes would definitely split into a big gap.

Seeing Mrs. Qiao's face going from green to white from anger, Third Aunt was delighted inside!

Everyone spectating couldn't help gasp and looked at each other: Mrs. Qiao have a really ruthless heart! In the beginning, was resolute in not letting sister-in-law in. Now she even tore off sister-in-law's clothes and also wring her. Really-

Immediately someone came over and supported Third Aunt up and with light and sweet voice, she comforts her. And also helped sort out the clothes and hair.

Remembering Lian Fang Zhou's words, Third Aunt immediately made her appearance pitiful with the trickling tears and choking weep. Wanting to cry but not as she gave her thanks. This made everyone sighed continuously.

Mrs. Qiao was having a fit. She has never be wronged like this before. Seeing Third Aunt like this, she was so mad that her blood pressure was rising. Pointing at her, she yelled with hatred: "You dead shrew, pretending to be pitiful! Just now, who didn't see you being so unruly? There's no use acting! I didn't pinch you and also didn't use any strength. Your own clothes were flimsy. Now you're putting the blame on this old lady!"

"Really don't want people to live!" Immediately Third Aunt covered her face and sobbed: "The reason I was unruly is that if I don't be unruly how do I deal with people like you? Clearly, it was you ripping my clothes, now you turn it around to bite me. Really vicious-hearted! Tomorrow I must go to the county academy and ask the teacher, how could a son raised by this family take xiucai exam and become an official? The proverb is right, those in subordinate positions will follow the example set by their superiors. If he really gets the Xiucai, then wouldn't it be worse! Don't talk about me, even the whole village be bully to death by your family!"

When they heard this, everyone faces completely changed and all can't help but discuss. Started talking about Mrs. Qiao being at fault.

Originally everyone towards Mrs. Qiao boasting about her son having good grades at the county academy and usually receive the teacher's compliment, they are filled with envy. Now hearing these words is already bad? And what's more, if her son really pa.s.ses Xiucai and become an official in the future, let's not talking about him, just with his parents, who knows how they would bully people!

Hearing this, Lian Li also become a bit perturbed. He went up and roared at Third Aunt: "Don't speak nonsense here! Hmph, you think anyone can enter the county's academy just because they want to? The teacher there just care about the grades, what does it have to with other things? Hmph, if you have the skills then go try!"

"Alright!" Third Aunt raised her voice: "This is what you said! Tomorrow I'll go. Just you wait, I'll definitely go! I don't believe I can't get into the academy and can't ask the teacher!"
It's not that Third Aunt isn't fearful inside. What kind of place is the county academy? How could she dare throw a fit there?

But Lian Fang Zhou said it won't be a problem to say it like this, so she picks up her courage saying this.

Initially, Lian Li just wanted to scare her, thinking that if he says it like this and she'll become afraid. Who knew that this would instead provoke her to go. Internally Lian Li became even more agitated.

Especially when he recalls the current Lian Fang Zhou, don't know why he believes Lian Fang Zhou is definitely someone who isn't afraid of trouble.

He started to feel regrets, if he knew early why would he say such ruthless words to stimulate Third Aunt?

If they really take the matter to the academy, first let's not talk about who's wrong, it would definitely affect his son! And more or less, from the beginning, his wife is in the wrong in this matter

Let's not discuss whether she pinched Third Aunt or not, but she certainly did rip Third Aunt's sleeve! Can't even deny it since everyone saw it.

If Third Aunt was really provoked to go, then it's hard to say what'll happen to his son's future.

At this moment Lian Li resent Mrs. Qiao to death. Now really don't know what to do.

Xiucai-Literal meaning- distinguished talent or another name for student member for this degree.

Degree in exam system in ancient China: Tongsheng, Xiucai, Juren, Gongshi, Jinshi. 

Chapter 44: The couple started fighting

On the inside, Third Aunt was secretly smirking while sobbing with her face in hands. And she kept on saying that sister-in-law is bullying her, a pitiful woman with a deceased husband and no home to return to as she cried so tragically.

Mrs. Qiao was jumping mad.

"Shut your mouth!" Suddenly Lian Li thought of something, he glared at Mrs. Qiao and bellowed. With no room for discussion, he raised his hand and gave her two big slap and scolded: "I really can't stand it anymore, are you treating me like a dead man? Because thinking of all these years of marriage, I endure and endure. In the hope that a family in harmony will prosper. While you, the more I let you be, the more ruckus you make! No matter what, Xiao Man is my little sister. You continuously insult her, do you even place me in your eyes?"

With just a few sentences, Lian Li push all the blame to Mrs. Qiao's shoulders. Including last time, that was Mrs. Qiao's idea.

"You...you!" Mrs. Qiao was stunned. She stared at Lian with wide eyes in disbelief. He slapped her! For that little b.i.t.c.h, he hit her in front of so many people.

Her two cheeks started to sting painfully, then she recovered her wits and yelled as she hysterically rushed at Lian Li: "I'll fight it out with you!"

At this moment, she is mad with fury inside. Her movement also carries a hint of unrestrained rage. With one charge, she caused Lian Li to crashed to the ground.

Deeply angered, Lian Li scolded her a dead b.i.t.c.h, can't even see the hint, useless!

Compare to a son's clean reputation and future, what does this little flesh suffering worth? Who told her to scold other and made a move and create a weakness? If he doesn't hit her as a show to calm Third Aunt's anger, then tomorrow she would go to the County with that dead girl, Lian Fang Zhou. Everything would over if it implicates son's reputation and future.

"You still dare retaliate!" In a very sorry state, Lian Li drag himself up from the ground. He seized Mrs. Qiao's arm and hollered: "See if I divorce you!"

While Lian Li scold and shout at her, he kept on giving her winks. But at this moment, Mrs. Qiao is entirely crazy, On top of that Lian Li was trying not let other see the hint. So Mrs. Qiao didn't see the not so obvious wink. She crazily screamed as well as sobbingly yelled as she continuously clawed and kicked.

Mrs. Qiao only knows that under everyone gaze, she has suffered her husband's merciless scolding and two slaps. Right now, she wants to slap him back for revenge viciously.

When Lian Li said divorce her, Mrs. Qiao's whole body was rooted to the spot. Inside she was frightened, then followed by more resentment: For him, she birthed a son, and for him, she diligently manages the family for so many years. Now he said he wants to divorce her!

"You heartless man! You... what have I done wrong for you to said such heartless words! Tomorrow I'll go reason with my son! I can't live anymore! Can't live anymore!" Sitting down, Mrs. Qiao slapped the ground as she wailed.

In this age, women are afraid of divorce the most. Especially Mrs. Qiao, whose age is very big. If she was divorced, first let's not mentioned she couldn't hold her head up, she also doesn't even have a place for shelter.

Even if she has her maternal family, just by looking at Third Aunt, you'll know it isn't easy to return to the maternal family. So what if she has brothers, there's also sisters-in-law! No one would be willing to give their food to take care of a married off daughter for free.

So when Lian Li said the word divorce, Mrs. Qiao was scared inside. Her courage was no longer like a while ago and also dare not hit Lian Li.

Everyone hearing Lian Li says this was startled. Everyone look at each other: Words like divorce isn't something lightly mentioned. They can't help also have some opinion about Lian Li. They were husband and wife for decades, and it makes people heart cold.

Lian Li's word was just a thoughtless threat. Now he carelessly said it; it's too late to take it back even if he wants to. Inside he became even more anxious and angry. He got a stomach full of resentment that he wish to vented at Mrs. Qiao: if she didn't make a scene, how would matters end up like this?

Hearing that she want to find their son to complain, Lian Li was so furious that he nearly pa.s.sed out: She doesn't have her son's future in mind!?

In a sorry state, Lian Li stood there, fiercely glared at her, face completely red and the nose was taking a deep breath: This crazy woman is out of control! She attacked without restraint!

Immediately some women were coming forward to lift Mrs. Qiao up; all kindly coaxed her. There were also others prompt Lian Li.

Third Aunt saw the couple fighting, and she was overjoyed. She then went over to Mrs. Qiao and choked down on a sob: "Sister-in-law, quickly stand up! The ground is cold; it'll be bad if you got sick! It's probably a joke when Elder brother talks about divorce. Sister-in-law, no need to be afraid!"

She also sighed: "It's all because of me! It's all my fault! If it weren't because of me, Elder Brother wouldn't say this kind of word! Sister-in-law wouldn't be like this! Oh, let's leave it! One phrase Elder Brother said is right, a family in harmony will prosper!"

"That's right!"

"Your family's Third Aunt is right!"

Everyone seeing how understanding and reasonable Third Aunt was, all nodded and sighed.

Only, just Mrs. Qiao saw Third Aunt's corner of mouth flashed into a smirk very quickly and hearing her say these words, the hint of ridicule thicken.

She was immediately livid mad. With a whoosh, she suddenly stood up from the ground and pointed at Third Aunt and screamed: "You wretch, when did you get to have a say in my family matters!"

"Shut your mouth for me!" When Third Aunt spoke like that, Lian Li was relieved and want to say a few right words to let the matter pa.s.s. However, he never thought that before he could release a sigh of relief, Mrs. Qiao was causing trouble again.

Lian Li flared up, and it was worse than before. He went up with raise hand and smack Mrs. Qiao with two loud slaps. Pa! Pa! And admonish her: "Have you lost mind!? What nonsense are you speaking!"

After Mrs. Qiao screamed, those women, who came forward to lift her up and coax her, frowned. They silently shift back. This kind of person, who would be willing to stand by her side?

When Lian Li gave the two slaps, he gave a forceful wink. Finally, Mrs. Qiao saw it.

Stocked still for a second before Mrs. Qiao recovers her wits. She immediately understood what was happening and couldn't help feel regretful now. And then she hated Third Aunt even more.

At this time she no longer fought with Lian Li but the flame of anger and unhappiness inside didn't extinguish at all.

It's because she couldn't explode at Lian Li who have hit her, this made her even more upset.

Four crisp slaps! Not one bit of pretending! At this moment her two cheeks were hurt like needles p.r.i.c.ked it.

Mrs. Qiao hated Third Aunt with all her soul. She stood there with head lowered and gritted teeth. She didn't move at all.

"If you dare say any more nonsense, I will not let you off!" Lian Li sternly berate Mrs. Qiao with few sentences and also turned to Third Aunt. With an apologetic smile, he said: "Xiao Man ah, I'm sorry. Your Sister-in-law is frank and outspoken. She handles matters crudely and doesn't use brain, so don't take offense! How about come live with us, take it as us compensating you..."

Lian Li was looking at Third Aunt with a face full of sincerity and expectant. Seeing this, Third Aunt felt her hair stood on end and got chill all over her body.

She subconsciously took a few steps back, and in a warm tone, she sighed: " Since Elder Brother said it like this, what else can I say? The sky is about to darkened, Elder Brother and Sister-in-law should return. I'm living comfortably at Fang Zhou's home, so no need to trouble Elder Brother and Sister-in-law."

Third Aunt said it politely and turned toward everyone and gave her thanks and left.

Everyone saw that she left, they also scattered.

Lian Li lightly breathed ou. He knew that Third Aunt wouldn't live at his place and just by looking at her face these days, you can see that she isn't living too bad. She likes to take advantage, so could she bare to leave?

"Let's return too!" Lian Li glare at Mrs. Qiao and heavily harrumphed.

Mrs. Qiao's face was swollen red and searing with pain. She vehemently spat at the ground and turned around to enter the yard.

"It's because you meddle too much! For no reason, why provoke her? She's living her life, how does it bother you!?"

Once enter the yard, Lian Li dropped his expression and berated Mrs. Qiao.

Mrs. Qiao halted then cried with injustice: "When did I provoke her? I wish for her not to cross our house door path when walking around from now on. I can't hide from her enough, so why would I provoke her?"

"You didn't?" Lian Li was surprised, then continued. "If you didn't provoke her, then why did she come over and make a scene?"

Chapter 45: There's no husband, so where would the adulterer come from

Lian Li was under the impression that Mrs. Qiao's pettiness was acting up, couldn't bear that Lian Xiao Man is now living peacefully, so she (Mrs. Q) went to nitpick her (3rd Aunt) matters. And this causes her (3rd Aunt) to run over to sob and fuss at their door.

Mrs. Qiao is this kind of character.

But he knows very well, right at this moment Mrs. Qiao's expression isn't like she is fibbing. And also there's no need for her to lie to his face.

So that means she is telling the truth.

Both of them were in a trance for a moment.

Mrs. Qiao stiffly spoke: "She came to our home entrance to cause a ruckus out of nowhere, while we had to accompany her, no?"

"This wretch!" Mrs. Qiao suffocated from anger, head feeling dizzy.

Lian Li was also muted by anger, on the inside he was extremely miserable: after half day of ruckus, the person being unreasonable is Lian Xiao Man! And the couple themselves don't even know why she came to make a scene at all! How can they not feel miserable?

"That little wretch! Does she even put you her elder brother in her eye, or me her Sister-in-law? I'll find her! I have to ask her why she came to our home and caused trouble out of the blue!" Blinded by anger Mrs. Qiao, wanted to rush out.

"Come back here!" Lian Li roughly caught her and coldly commented: "Haven't you had enough of creating a scene?"

"But how can I leave it like this?" Mrs. Qiao sharply cried out. She blamed the four slaps on her face on Third Aunt's shoulder.

Leave it be? Definitely not.

Let's not say, Mrs. Qiao, even Lian Li isn't willing too.

"Future days are long!" Lian Li spat out the four words through the gap of his teeth, then took large steps into the house.

Mrs. Qiao doesn't care about what future days are long; she only wants to go over now and make a scene. Return Third Aunt a few hard slaps.

But they have suffered a lot today, so not only is their whole body without energy, even their brain feel very chaotic. In addition to that, the second branch got that wretched la.s.s, Lian Fang Zhou. So if she goes now, she'll definitely won't gain any benefit. All she could do was vilify a few words quietly and temporarily hold her anger and follow her husband inside.

The couple was angered so much by Third Aunt that their head was feeling faint. They ultimately didn't realize the oddness of their own house being light up-- no one home so how could they bare to light the candle?

After they enter the house, both of them lift their head and unexpectedly saw a Lian Fang Zhou with a cold face sitting in at the top middle. She had frightened them.

"You... why are you here!?" Mrs. Qiao questioned.

Lian Fang Zhou coldly laughed and suddenly stood up and picked up a teapot and fiercely flung at the floor. With a bang, it shattered to pieces.

As Mrs. Qiao gasped in shock, she continued to smash four cups one at a time. All turned to shattered pieces.

"I had it with you!" Mrs. Qiao saw that in a blink of an eye Lian Fang Zhou had smashed her teapot and four cups into smithereens, her heart tightly twist in pain. She screamed and jumped to strike Lian Fang Zhou.

It's just that her eyes were so focused on Lian Fang Zhou, that she overlooked Ah Jian who was at her side.

Naturally, Ah Jian immediately stood in front of Lian Fang Zhou. With just a light lift of his hand, he swatted Mrs. Qiao away like a fly. She staggered backward. After stumbling for few steps, she became stable again.

Only then did she notice Ah Jian. She gave him a vicious glare. When she met with Ah Jian's ever so calm gaze, her whole became as stiff as a board. She stood there, not daring to move a step.

"Lian Fang Zhou! You shameless girl! Not only did you raise an adulterer at home, you even brought the adulterer to hit your elders!" Mrs. Qiao redirected her glare at Lian Fang Zhou and viciously screeched.

Not a single hint of anger was on Lian Fang Zhou's face. Instead, she didn't lose one bit of her composure at all. She lightly smiled, and in an icy tone, she said: "Seems like Third Aunt's ruckus isn't enough. Tomorrow we need to go to the County town and have a good talk with cousin's Academy."

Startled, Mrs. Qiao swept her over her and Ah Jian. And then she raised her lips to a sneer: "Alright! Go on, talk then! I think it's better to talk about your matter first!"

Mrs. Qiao pointed at Ah Jian and smirked: "Let's talk about you lacking in woman's propriety first. To let an adulterer live at home!"

When she finished, Mrs. Qiao gave her a smug look, as if she caught Lian Fang Zhou's weak spot. Her heart immediately cried out in delight.

Not just her, Lian Li was also slightly smirking at the side: This time his woman has become astute.

Lian Fang Zhou paused for a bit and started to laugh mockingly. She steadily gazed at Mrs. Qiao and questioned: "Lacking in woman's virtue? Adulterer? I haven't married yet, so what woman's virtue? I have no husband, so what adulterer? Ah Jian is our family's farmhand. We have an indenture as proof. If you speak any more rubbish, we'll make a trip a trip to the county town!"

She coldly laughed and raised her brow and continued: "Ah Jian and I aren't married. If I marry him for real, then what? Who would say anything?"

Mrs. Qiao and Lian Li became tongue-tied. They were completely dumbfounded.

What Lian Fang Zhou said was right!

Hearing Lian Fang Zhou say this so brazenly, Ah Jian's heart slightly jumped. Out of nowhere, an inexplicable feeling sprouted. He couldn't help steal some quick glance at her. Inside he felt a bit happy.

However, Mrs. Qiao and Lian Li were furious. They didn't have the slightest clue what to do with her.

In the ordinary course of events, Mrs. Qiao and Lian Li should take their field as well as taking care of the four siblings after their parents pa.s.sed away. Afterall, they were the only elders in Lian Family.

But Mrs. Qiao and Lian Li were a bit unwilling when they thought about the fact they would need to prepare dowry for their two nieces and help two nephews find a bride.

Even so, the second branch's few acres of land is very tempting. So they have their plans. They felt that those fours kids have fully grown up yet, what could they understand? After few years, they could use some trick and take over all of those lands. And also don't have to take care of them. Isn't that great?

So when the Village Junior Officer Zhang made an appearance to request them to take in and care for Lian Fang Zhou and the others as their uncle and aunt, they rejected no matter what. Firmly stating that the first branch and second branch has already separated, so the second branch got nothing to do with them. And also that even though their brother and sister-in-law is gone, they still have the house and field. Lian Fang Zhou is 15, and Lian Ze is 12. They aren't kids anymore. So why would they take them in? And they have to fund their son's study. They indeed don't the energy to do more...

This matter brewed for few days. No matter what Officer Zhang said, they were still not willing. In the end, Officer Zhang let it go.

Everyone in the village knows about this matter.

So if Mrs. Qiao and Lian Li want to take control of Lian Fang Zhou's marriage, it wouldn't be possible.

Third Aunt? She has already married off, so she can't intervene with her maternal family's matter.

So it's entirely possible for Lian Fang Zhou to choose her husband. She couldn't possibly let her young brother help her decide, right?

Lian Fang Zhou coldly glanced at the couple with disdainful, mocking gaze. She coldly said: "Ah Jian, let's go! We'll go to the County town tomorrow with Third Aunt!"

Lian Fang Zhou raised her foot to leave. Ah Jian briefly looked at them and then followed Lian Fang Zhou.

"Fang Zhou! My niece!" Lian Li distressingly thought he mustn't let Lian Fang Zhou make trouble at the County Academy and ruin his son's reputation.

Lian Fang Zhou dare to risk going, but he couldn't.

Lian Fang Zhou didn't bother with him. Her footsteps didn't halt at all; she kept on steadily walk away.

"NIECE! NIECE!" Lian Li became frantic. He hurried over and reached out to grab Lian Fang Zhou's arm.

But before he could touch Lian Fang Zhou, Ah Jian raised his hand at the right time and blocked his outstretched hand.

Ah Jian's movement seems very natural and very relaxed as if it didn't contain any strength. 

However, Lian Li, like Mrs. Qiao earlier, felt as if a powerful force ram over. He couldn't help stagger few steps away.

Chapter 46: Forcing Mrs. Qiao

He watched Lian Fang Zhou and Ah Lian walk out of the courtyard. If they leave now, then it would be hard to reverse the situation.

Lian Li became desperate, he couldn't bother with it anymore and scurried over. "Niece, I'm completely at fault! Please be merciful and let us off! Whatever condition you have, say it!"

Lian Fang Zhou was waiting for him to say this. Once spoken, she paused and halted her footsteps. Ah Jian also stopped and leisurely stood by her side.

"Husband, what are you saying! Have you become muddle-headed!" Hearing Lian Li say this, Mrs. Qiao felt exasperated and immediately screeched.

Lian Fang Zhou gave a cold chuckle and moved her feet to leave.

"SHUT YOUR MOUTH!" Lian Li angrily roared as he glared at Mrs. Qiao. He then hurried forward to stop Lian Fang Zhou. He wanted to reach out to grab but glanced at Ah Jian by her side. He reached out his other hand and clasped his hands together. "Fang Zhou, my niece! You can't leave. You can't leave! If your cousin gains honor and rank, you'll also receive some benefits too. In future, who would dare bully you and your siblings? Isn't that right? You can't harm him in a fit of rage!"

Lian Fang Zhou looked at Mrs. Qiao briefly and then indifferently spoke to Lian Li. "The words that Uncle says, I don't deserve it. Hehe, I'm afraid I don't have the fortune to wait for that day. I'll be set up by someone before that!"

"How could that be! Who would do this kind of- matter for no reason!" Lian Li felt a bit guilty inside. He changed 'wicked matter' to 'matter' when he spoke out.

He understood why Lian Fang Zhou came.

"That's hard to say! There's all kind of people in the world! Some people are born to love creating malicious rumors and can't stand other being well off! Just like Hua Family's daughter-in-law. If I don't teach her a lesson, she won't know how stinky her mouth is!" Lian Fang Zhou casually pointed out.

Lian Li mentally rained down curses on Mrs. Qiao's head. So what if others want to raise a wild man or have a secret affair. What has it to do with you? Why pry when there's nothing to do! Now your stinky mouth stirred up trouble.

After he finished cursing Mrs. Qiao, he was secretly shocked by Lian Fang Zhou's scheme. If Lian Fang Zhou came over to fight over this matter and she'll lose if she spoke out! It's a fact that her household took in a stranger. So what Third Aunt lives there and even if nothing happened at all, once suspicion contaminated her, there's no way to plead innocence, since the more they explain, the worse it gets.

However, she didn't even mention a single word. Instead, she sent over Third Aunt to create a ruckus for some inexplicable reason. He was already sure that Third Aunt 's ruckus was Lian Fang Zhou's idea to agitate his wife to lose control. This way she grasps their weakness and forces him with no choice but to lower his head to her.

Lian Li felt chills crept over his back: so formidable at such a young age. What would it be like in few years time?

Forget about them wanting to scheme for their land. They'd be lucky if they weren't harmed by her!

For that reason, his son's future is more important! Cause if his son became an official, what does he have to afraid of?

Immediately Lian Li's face blacken. He twisted his head and bellowed at Mrs. Qiao: "Still not coming over!"

Being yelled at by her husband in front of Lain Fang Zhou, Mrs. Qiao felt humiliated. She harrumphed and grudgingly answered. "Go over to do what!"

Hearing her still not knowing her wrong and still dare to talk back, Lian Li became even more furious and his face blacken even more. He bellowed even louder. "GET OVER HERE!"

Caught off-guard, Mrs. Qiao was startled. Seeing that his face was pitch black and br.i.m.m.i.n.g with rage that was about to erupt, she dare not retort. Livid, she slowly walked over.

Lian Li felt pained seeing this. So when she was few steps away, he immediately grabbed him and forcibly pulled her over. He spun her to place her in front of Lian Fang Zhou and coldly ordered. "What good thing you did, so apologize to Niece!"

Mrs. Qiao stared at Lian Li with widened eyes: let her apologize?

"Hurry up!" Lian Li gave her an icy glare. He voiced in a low tone through his gritted teeth. "You want to ruin your son?"

Mrs. Qiao was very unwilling. She doesn't believe that Lian Fang Zhou and Third Aunt would go the County Academy. What kind of place is that place? They say they'll go; then they can go?

But at this moment, Lian Li's whole body was pulsing with a tyrannical vibe. It left no room for her to refute. So, she quietly stuttered. "What, what wrong have I done that I need to apologize for?"

"Quickly apologize! Stop being a windbag!" Lian Li shouted. "What your stinky mouth said, do we still need to ask?"

Mrs. Qiao froze and then immediately understand that Third Aunt's ruckus was to do with this.

She became mad and even more unwilling. She slanted her eyes to Ah Jian and was about to speak. Coincidentally, she met with Ah Jian's calm and steady gaze. For no reason, she came to a stop and dared not speak out.

"It seems like tomorrow we'll have to go to the county town!" Lian Fang Zhou coldly voiced out.

Just as Lian Fang Zhou's word came to a stop, Lian Li suddenly pushed Mrs. Qiao to her front. He coldly pressurized her. "Get out off here, if you don't apologize now!"

Did he team up with an outsider to bully her? And also want to kick her out?

Mrs. Qiao nearly exploded in a fury. But she could hear that Lian Li wasn't joking with her.

Mrs. Qiao kept on enduring with all her might. She turned to Lian Fang Zhou. "I'm sorry..."

Lian Fang Zhou coldly stared at her, "In future, if I hear any malicious rumors or gossip, I won't care about whether you're an elder or not!"

Mrs. Qiao shot dagger at her before immediately lowering her eyes. On the inside she thought: you wretched la.s.s, when did you every respected your elders? You didn't give one penny of the ten liang to your elder as filial piety.

"There won't be any!" Lian Li immediately followed up. "None at all!"

Lian Fang Zhou gave an unimpressed smile. "Really? Then shouldn't Aunt give me a pledge? I'm still a bit worried."

Lian Li turned his head to Mrs. Qiao. "Well, hurry! Make a vow!"

Mrs. Qiao couldn't stand her husband's glare, so she disgruntledly promised. "I, I swear that from now on I won't!"

"Won't what?"

"I won't create malicious rumors!"

Lian Fan Zhou remained silent. She just stared at her.

"Are you stupid or what? Speak more clearly!" Lian Li pushed her again.

Seeing that her husband continuously put her to shame in front of other people, Mrs. Qiao was livid and mentally stressed. A burst of anger burst out, and she immediately yelled: "I, Mrs. Qiao swear that from now on if I ever create malicious rumors or gossip to frame my niece wrongly, I will be struck to death by lightning!"

Lian Li did not expect her to yell, so it made him jump.

Lian Fang Zhou and Ah Jian weren't startled. Instead, Lian Fang Zhou chuckled and swept a glance at her. "You better remember what you said today, Aunt. The Heaven won't be deceived. It's listening, and it remembers! Ah Jian, let's go!" "

She doesn't want to stay here any longer.

In a fit of anger, Mrs. Qiao made a ruthless vow. Initially, she thought Lian Fang Zhou would say some polite words. But instead, of gracious words, it was a loud wake-up call. At once, her temper flared up, and she stamped her feet. "Stop right there!"

Surprisingly, Lian Fang Zhou did stop. She turned around and indifferently asked, "Anything else?"

Mrs. Qiao reached out her palm to her and with a sunken face, she demanded, "You smashed our teapot and cups and wanted to leave like this? Compensate us with two liang now!"

Chapter 47: Don't let there be a next time

Two liang? You can buy several sets of those teapots and cup. Unbelievable, she actually dared to say it. What an idiot!

Lian Fang Zhou had a 'have you become stupid?' look. And snorted, "I'm warning you, the next time you dare to spread malicious rumors, I won't be smashing teapots and cups! Believe it or not, I'll beat you up with all I got."

With a blink, Lain Fang Zhou's eyes deepened. Any retort from Mrs. Qiao was choked back by her gaze. She could only blankly watch Lian Fang Zhou and Ah Jian leave.

Only when their figure disappeared from her sight, did Mrs. Qiao regain her breath. She then spat out, "You're just bluffing! As if anyone is afraid of you!"

Before she finished speaking, her face received another slap from Lian Li. Enraged, Lian Li shouted, "Will you stop it! You only know how to cause unnecessary trouble!"

Mrs. Qiao started screeching again. Initially, her cheeks were already stinging. Now, this slap made her head spin from the pain. Immediately she was also annoyed. In addition to Lian Li's scolding, she felt infuriated. With a roar, she jumped on Lian Li; she wailed, cursed and hit him.

Fl.u.s.tered and exasperated, Lian Li dodged and retaliated as he bellowed, 'STOP.' But why would Mrs. Qiao listen? So the two of them got into a scuffle.

After Lian Fang Zhou and Ah Jian left Lian's first branch, Lian Fang Zhou lightly sighed out in relief. Hopefully that gossiper, Mrs. Qiao learned her lesson. Or else, she won't let her off next time! Although she doesn't care about the rumors, it didn't mean she liked to be harmed by someone out of nowhere.

Under the faint moonlight, the two of them didn't speak. They just moved with light steps.

She tilted her head to peek at Ah Jian. Suddenly she felt a bit troubled. She coughed and gently spoke out. "About that... Ah Jian, I was hasty. So what I just said, don't take it to heart..."

"Huh?" Ah Jian questioned. "What words?"

After saying this, the phrase about she and him being unmarried popped up in his mind. His face immediately reddened slightly and had no courage to look at her. Luckily the moonlight was very weak, so she didn't see any change in him.

However, Lian Fang Zhou didn't remember those words. Feeling uncomfortable, she replied, "About-- indenture!"

Afraid that he would misunderstand her, Lian Fang Zhou rushed to continued. "I just said those words to anger them two. You have helped us a lot. We'll remember that at heart!"

These few days, Ah Jian accompanied them to the mountains to gather mushrooms. He's very quick-witted, or more likely he has a talent in this area. He became familiar with Mount Xian Teng's terrain and surrounding faster than the Lian siblings.

With him leading, they would have a fruitful return every day.

He also recognizes a vast amount of medicinal herbs. That day Lian Fang Zhou plucked some bupleurum tenue and said that she wants to save it to treat cold and fever. He then happened to find a variety of other herbs and explained each one to her; handles stomachache, headache, dispel poison, stop bleeding, knife wounds, burns, and others. Just from a casual talk, you can tell how skilled he is.

Even though he doesn't remember when he learned it, but he knows. And also when he said it, instinctively n.o.body would doubt him.

Not just Lian Fang Zhou, even Lian Ze, Mrs. Zhao and Li Juan admire him greatly. Lian Ze became even more close to him like a diehard follower.

Without anyone noticing, he already has already become part of this family.

So it was that!

Ah Jian couldn't help become disappointed. But he immediately cast aside that feeling and grinned. "I know. I'm not bothered by it all!"

From his tone, Lian Fang Zhou knew he didn't take it to heart. She broke out into a grin. "That's great. I can be at ease then."

Ah Jian nodded and turned to look at her thoughtfully. He asked, "They always bully you and your siblings, right?"

Lian Fang Zhou sighed. With a sense of mockery and helplessness, she murmured, "Made you see a joke! Those are my blood-related uncle and aunt!"

Contemplating for a second before Ah Jian comforted her. "You don't have to feel sad. That kind of people exists but not often seen. It's not worth being depressed over that kind of people."

Lian Fang Zhou made a sound of agreement. "I won't be depressed over them. It's not going to be easy for them to bully me!"

Thinking of her actions tonight, Ah Jian grinned. All of a sudden he seriously asked her: "Miss Lian, don't chase me out alright? Next time you want to settle matters with them, I'll come with you!"

Lian Fang Zhou froze. Naturally what he meant was supporting her when he said he'll accompany her. Her heart felt warm and chuckled. After giving it some thoughts, she sincerely nodded. "Yes, what you say is reasonable! Next time I come without your support, it won't do."

"So, so you won't chase me out?" Ah Jian was surprised as well as delighted. His eyes lit up.

Slightly embarra.s.sed, Lian Fang Zhou dare not meet his gaze. She quietly responded: "Actually, since you came to my home, you have helped us a lot. Really! If you don't hate it, then stay!"

"Of course I don't hate it." Ah Jian became elated and beamed with joy. His heart finally settled down and relaxed.

Lian Fang Zhou also smiled. Then in a flash, she recalled something and mentally sighed. She thought, ' if one day you regain your memory, would you still stay here?'

Definitely won't! The things you know isn't something an ordinary man would understand. So where are you really from? What kind of ident.i.ty?

In short, definitely won't be ordinary at all!

I don't know if letting you stay is a right choice or not...

Although Lian Fang Zhou didn't say it out loud, her expression subconsciously reveals a bit. Ah Jian acutely detected it and blanked out before dejectedly asked. "Am... I putting you in a spot?"

"Huh?" Lian Fang Zhou came back to her sense. Stupefied, she asked. "Why would I be in a spot?"

She couldn't help look at Ah Jian in puzzlement. A moment ago he was on top of the world. But in a blink of an eye, his mood drop down?

Ah Jian looked like he had something to say but stopped for some reason. In the end, he asked. "Is letting me stay... causing difficulties?"

"What?" Lian Fang Zhou's mind came to a halt. It took her a while to realize that he misunderstood. She quickly denied with a laugh. "Not at all! How could it be!"

"Okay!" Ah Jian responded, but he still doesn't believe it.

His expression made Lian Fang Zhou's heart softened as if she has don't something to hurt him. She also found it funny that she would have this kind of feeling. She continued. "Really, no difficulties! Just now I was thinking of another matter!"

Fine. Since we already encountered each other, it counts as fate. Then in future, let's meet and depart on a good note!

Thinking like this, Lian Fang Zhou found the weight in her heart lightened.

"So it's like this!" Ah Jian grinned again and sheepishly said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have wildly guessed!"

Lian Fang Zhou sook her head. "It's nothing at all. Not something you have to apologize for."

The two of them had already reached the entrance when they grinned at each other.

Before they entered the house, the two of them saw Third Aunt pacing around the house like ants in a hot pot. They also heard Lian Fang Qing clear voice comment. "Third Aunt quickly sit down. You flas.h.i.+ng to here and there is making me dizzy."

"Shoo, you're just a kid, what would you understand! Go over to one side!" Third Aunt halted her steps and indignantly spoke. Then with a lift of her head, she saw Lian Fang Zhou and Ah Jian. She rushed over and anxiously questioned. "How was it? How did it go?"

Chapter 48: Charcoal plan

How else could it go? Just by looking at their tidy clothes and not a single hair out of place, you'll know it went smoothly.

Lian Fang Zhou laughed. "No problem at all! Let's eat now! After tormenting so long, I'm starving!"

"Alright! Let's eat first!" Right now, Third Aunt was at ease. Then her heart couldn't help start itching. She wanted to know how Lian Fang Zhou took care that old witch, Mrs. Qiao.

However, she knew now wasn't the time to talk about this because Lian Fang Zhou won't speak of this matter in front of the two little ones. It could only wait until after dinner.

At this time, the sky has already darkened. Not just Lian Fang Zhou, even the whole family was hungry. Hearing Lian Fang Zhou said that it was okay, they all sat down and happily ate their dinner. Only Third Aunt was itching with curiosity. She can't wait to hear about unfortunate Mrs. Qiao.

Lian Fang Zhou saw it. She mentally laughed and kept on pretending she didn't know.

After dinner, Third Aunt couldn't hold it anymore. "Fang Zhou, did Mrs. Qiao make it difficult for you?"

Lian Fang Zhou looked up and saw Third Aunt's s.h.i.+ning eyes stared at her unblinkingly.

Lian Fang Zhou didn't follow her direction of the conversation and just smiled. "She didn't. How could it be easy for her to bully me? I need to discuss something with Ah Jian. So, Third Aunt, we'll talk about it in detail next time."

Third Aunt had no way to stop her, so she could only hold back her curiosity. "Ok!"

Hearing Lian Fang Zhou was looking for him, Ah Jian has already tagged behind her.

Lian Fang Zhou spoke to him for a while at the entrance. At first, Ah Jian was stunned, but afterward, he kept on nodding his head in agreement. Immediately Lian Fang became rea.s.sured and told him. "You go inside first. I'm going to make a trip to Aunt Zhang's for some matters."

Ah Jian didn't speak anymore. He nodded and entered inside.

Third Aunt didn't dare to interrupt Lian Fang Zhou's conversation with Ah Jian. So when she heard movement, she lifted her head only to see Ah Jian coming in and rushed forward to ask, "Where Fang Zhou?"

How could Ah Jian understand Third Aunt's anxious for gossip mind? He just felt that her anxiety was a little odd. He answered, "She said she has something to do at Aunt Zhang's."

"What!?" Instantly, Third Aunt became dejected and started to mutter quietly. "Going over their house every few days, what is she doing?"

Of course, Lian Fang Zhou wasn't going over there to play. She had some matters that she needs to discuss with them.

It was already in the middle of October so that it couldn't count as cold. But deep in the mountain, the temperature was even lower. So basically, there's no mushroom to pick.

Lian Fang Zhou had no plans to sell the mushrooms they just collected over the last few days. She wanted to wait until November-December. As at that time the price would be higher.

Since it's a dry good, it'll be light, easy to store and won't go off.

So, she'll need to do other stuff earlier.

Aunt Zhang's family would warmly welcome Lian Fang Zhou anytime she comes. So when she arrived, Aunt Zhang, Uncle Li, and Mrs. Zhao enthusiastically called her to sit. Wholly filled with intimacy and affectionate.

Mrs. Zhao's eyes flashed when she saw Lian Fang Zhou and quickly asked, " Are we going to the town tomorrow to sell the mushrooms? I have everything prepared."

Mrs. was already itching to sell the mushrooms right away. She was looking forward to the feeling of counting money for a long time now. Just the thought of the few sacks of mushrooms turning to chunky coins, makes her heart would fly with joy.

"Sao-zi, no need to be hasty. Wait a little longer! Today I came for a different matter!" Lian Fang Zhou responded.

Then Aunt Zhang criticized her daughter-in-law. "You're such an impatient brat! Didn't we already agree on waiting til November-December to sell them? And you still ask?"

"I saw Fang Zhou came over and thought there was a change in plan!" Mrs. Zhao laughed it off.

Lian Fang Zhou then revealed, "Although it isn't about mushrooms, I want to talk about another matter that could earn money. Just that I don't know if Uncle and Aunt are willing to do it together."

Hearing Lian Fang Zhou say it like this, Uncle Li exchange glance with his wife. "Oh? If you have anything to say, voice it out, Fang Zhou!"

Uncle Li knew it wasn't a matter as simple as collecting mushrooms when he heard it.

Lian Fang Zhou then brought it out into the open. "It'll soon be winter, so I thought if we make some charcoal, then we'll have a limitless market! I--"

"WHAT!?" Lian Fang Zhou had yet to finish when the Li father and son cried out in shock at the same time. Aunt Zhang and Mrs. Zhao were also stunned.

"What are you saying? Making Charcoal?" Uncle Li couldn't believe it.

"That's right..." The whole family's reaction made Lian Fang Zhou scared. So when she nodded, she felt a bit... guilt-ridden?

"Fang Zhou ah," Uncle Li burst out laughing. "Making charcoal is labor that requires technique. Not everyone can do it! Within this ten mile radius, not many families can do. Those who can are pa.s.sed down from generation to generation to earn a living. None of them would teach other!"

"That's right. In our village, no one can do it! If they know, then with one winter they can earn nearly one year of expense. They would have already been worry-free!" Li San Ge also laughed.

The Li Family treated Lian Fang Zhou as a little kid suddenly thinking of a strange idea and doesn't know the in-depth difficulties. So she could say it so lightly. They laughed as they explained it to her.

Mrs. Zhao lightly sighed out and felt disappointed. She thought Lian Fang Zhou had some good idea to earn money.

Li Juan cast a glance at her sister-in-law and secretly curled her lips.

However, they really did underestimate Lian Fang Zhou.

In her previous life, Lian Fang Zhou often went to the farming village because of work reason. She has seen the process of making charcoal before, and at that time she was curious and purposely went over to help. She had intensely questioned the fellow villager.

In the modern time, heating technologies are plentiful in winter. And there's also factory-made charcoal sold. So the villager's traditional way of earth kiln's charcoal is troublesome, as it wastes energy, time and resources. It's an old method that can't keep up with time, so not many people would make charcoal.

So that's why filled with curiosity, Lian Fang Zhou ask about it with the fellow villager. Instead of keeping it a secret, the fellow villager felt proud of teaching a city person something they don't understand. He kept on explaining to her nonstop, including a lot of problems that need to be watched out for.

She was a bright and quick mind person with a good memory. Who could have known that she could use the knowledge now.

And because of that day's conversation, allowed her to know this age's high-end technique labor. But at this age, not just anyone can do it, especially women. Without any exception a young girl like her.

So that's why even if she had the idea of making charcoal, she had no way to explain it to other. And also, doing this task can't rely on just her and Lian Ze. It's strenuous work.

Today, she finally got an inspiration and thought of a good idea. And that was Ah Jian. She can't know it but Ah Jian could.

That's why just now she had talked it through with Ah Jian. She had pushed this matter onto Ah Jian's shoulder. So when the time comes, she can let Ah Jian listen to her explanation and then let him repeat it them to hear. With her advising at the side, Ah Jian couldn't possibly do anything wrong.

In an instant, Lian Fang Zhou's heart became free from anxiety. It was right to let Ah Jian stay. This way in future she could use Ah Jian as an excuse whenever she wanted to do something.

As to why she trust Ah Jian that much, Lian Fang Zhou never gave it any thoughts.

"Uncle and Aunt, I understand what you said. However, I wasn't joking. I'm serious!" Lian Fang Zhou declared. "Naturally I don't know how. It's Ah Jian who does!"

"Ah Jian?" Everyone froze at the same time. They half believed her.

They don't know that about Ah Jian's amnesiac. Even if they know, it's nothing. Being amnesiac doesn't mean he has no memory at all. Ah Jian remembering or subconsciously understand something was possible.

"Yes! Ah Jian!" Lian Fang Zhou clearly stated and nodded with a bright smile.

"You... Are you telling the truth? Aiya, that's wonderful! What are we waiting for, let's go make charcoal!" Her parent-in-law had yet to recover when Mrs. Zhao excitedly cried out.

Chapter 49: Triggered by a pheasant

The rest immediately regain their wits. Uncle Li said, "What you're saying... is the truth? Ah Jian could do it?

Lian Fang Zhou grinned. "Uncle, let's give a try, and we'll know then, right? Making charcoal take around 7-8 days!"

"I believe Fang Zhou isn't lying. So, give it a try!" Aunt Zhang followed up.

The Li father and son looked at each other and nodded. "Alright! Let's give it a try! When the time comes, let Ah Jian tell us what we need to do. No need to act polite!"

"Rather than pus.h.i.+ng the matter to later, we'll go to the mountain tomorrow then!" Lian Fang Zhou nodded in delight. She already found the perfect spot.

Uncle Li agreed. "If we can make it, then your family take the larger portion of the profit. We'll take the smaller part."

Aunt Zhang hurriedly agreed. "That's right! Fang Zhou ah, you also need to urge Ah Jian not to tell other!"

Lian Fang Zhou promised, "Aunt Zhang, don't worry. I'm not that muddle-headed. When the time comes, we'll split it between us in equal half. I'm afraid that most of the heavy work will rely on Uncle Li and Brother San Ge."

"It's what they're supposed to do!" Aunt Zhang persisted in declining. Lian Fang Zhou firmly maintain her stance, so she could only agree.

Seeing the situation, Mrs. Zhao secretly let out a sigh of relief. She then sent Lian Fang Zhou out with a grin and treated her more intimacy.

Mrs. Zhao doesn't know if the mushrooms could sell for a reasonable price. However, she does know that charcoal will undoubtedly sell for a reasonable price.

The next day, the two families entered the mountain together. Altogether it was seven people; Aunt Zhang, Uncle Li, Li San Ge, Mrs. Zhao, Lian Fang Zhou, Lian Ze and Ah Jian. They strapped themselves with chopping timber knife, hoe, shovel and few winnowing baskets.

Lian Fang Zhou, Ah Jian, Uncle Li and Li San Ge worked on digging out a kiln. While Aunt Zhang, Mrs. Zhao and Lian Ze were sent to chop timber.

Ah Jian explained what kind of wood they can chop. After finis.h.i.+ng, he glanced at Lian Fang Zhou, and they secretly exchange expression. Then Ah Jian knew he said it correctly and he let Lian Ze go off.

Although wood can become charcoal, the quality depends mostly on what the wood is like, aside from the kiln and the technique used.

Must choose those with thick density hardwood like beech, oak, wild cherry tree, wild pear tree and others as the main base, as it is like tea which relies on the base which makes it how pure its essence is.

These trees turn into charcoal that burns longer, have no sparks, and less ash are leftover. And this ash doesn't fly everywhere.

If the charcoal were from less dense softwood, it would have sparks crackling and jumping out, and its ash would effortlessly fly everywhere. The burning time would also be half of the hardwood's charcoal. And some doesn't even reach half.

Under Ah Jian's explanation and occasional quick pointers from Lian Fang Zhou, the four of them finally dug a mud charcoal kiln with a chimney and fire entrance after one whole day.

The charcoal kiln split into top and bottom section. The top one holds the soon-to-be charcoal timber. The bottom is where the fire burn. Some pipes connect the top and bottom part. It needs to burn til a certain degree, and then seal kiln so tightly that no air can pa.s.s through. After 3-4 days, dig out the kiln, and the charcoal is done.

Hardwood is difficult to chop. With just one day, Aunt Zhang, her daughter-in-law and Lian Ze cut an insignificant amount. Aunt Zhang's heart aches from the fact that Lian Ze was still little. A few times she insisted that he must rest. It might be because last night her parents-in-law gave a warning to her, Mrs. Zhao did not have any objection.

But Lian Ze wasn't willing. If Aunt Zhang and Mrs. Zhao didn't take a break, then he resolute about not resting.

Seeing that the sun was about to set, they decided to return home.

Uncle Li and Li San Ge already believe in Ah Jian now because the kiln they dug out looks about right.

Anyway, they never saw it before, so it's right.

The next day, the seven of them went up the mountain to chop timber. This time there are more people, and on top of that, robust men, naturally there's no comparison with yesterday.

From time to time, Aunt Zhang and Uncle Li would call Lian siblings to take a break.

Without a doubt, it was strenuous work. Lian Fang Zhou did take several breaks. Lian Ze didn't rest much; instead, he worked slower than other.

Anyhow, Mrs. Zhao wasn't dissatisfied at all. That's because Ah Jian's speed was faster than the Li father and son. It should be said he could match the speed of her family of four. Just watching him, would make you stunned and filled with admiration.

Beside admiration, Mrs. Zhao felt extremely envious. She couldn't help quietly comment her mother-in-law. "Fang Zhou and her family are fortunate. It would be wonderful if Ah Jian were part of our family!"

Aunt Zhang didn't know whether to cry or laugh. She (Aunt) glared at her (Zhao) and admonished her with smiling eyes. "Quickly work and less thinking about what you have and don't have!"

"Oh" Mrs. Zhao breathed out. She knew it wasn't possible. She was lamenting, that's all.

Suddenly there was a sound of flapping, which startled Mrs. Zhao to cry out. Everyone looked over to see a ma.s.sive pheasant with a long tail. It was frightened out of its gra.s.sy patch and flapped its wings to fly up the mountain on the other side.

"How regrettable! It'll be great if we could catch!" Mrs. Zhao regained her wits and rued as she watched the flying pheasant.

After contemplating a bit, Ah Jian picked up a stone from the ground and threw it straight at the pheasant.

Because the pheasant was flying diagonally upward, its body couldn't go fast. So with Ah Jian's move, it accurately hit it. The pheasant's tragic cried out, and it flapped its wings in a panic as it crookedly fell.

"OH MY!" Mrs. Zhao joyfully screamed and threw away the timber she chopped and rushed over to where the pheasant crashed.

Everyone else was stunned by this scene and blankly looked at Ah Jian.

Ah Jian sheepishly laughed.

"Amazing. Ah Jian, that was awesome! Even Hunter Sun can't do one hit!" Uncle Li gave Ah Jian a thumbs up.

Li San Ge grinned. "Father, you're wrong. Let's not say Hunter Sun; even the best hunter can't beat Ah Jian! Were you previously a hunter, Ah Jian?"

"Made you watch a joke!" Ah Jian just faintly smiled and did not reply to Li San Ge.

Was being amnesiac something you could randomly say to anyone? If they heard it, they would believe he's lying to them.

Uncle Li and Li San Ge were tactful people. Seeing that he wasn't willing to say, naturally, they won't forcefully make him talk. With a smile, they changed the topic and with great interest, they asked if he would give hunting a try.

When Lian Ze saw that Ah Jian have excellent skills, his two eyes nearly shot out stars. He couldn't resist asking, "Brother Jian! When we were in Mount Xian Teng, we came across lots of pheasant, wild rabbits, and others. Why didn't you make a move?"

Ah Jian swept a glance at Lian Fang Zhou and then looked at him. "None of you ask!"

"Just because of this reason!?" Lian Fang Zhou was dumbfounded. She jokingly commented, "Oh, how regrettable! We wasted a lot of good opportunities!"

At that time, everyone's mind was on the mushrooms. Who would pay attention to pheasant and wild rabbit? And also that Ah Jian, he could really anger someone to death!

Ah Jian laughed. "It's no big deal. Hmm, pheasant and rabbits, Mount Xian Teng got lots of them. In the next few days, it's easy to go hunt some!"

"Ah Jian, you're so cool! If I could also have such impressive abilities, then it'll be great." Lian Ze remarked with envy.

Ah Jian responded with a faint smile, "It's nothing. Skills come from practice. If you want to learn, I can teach you."

"Really!?" Surprised and delighted, Lian Ze's eyes shone like gems. He glanced at Lian Fang Zhou. So excited, he asked Ah Jian with uncertainty. "Is it... is it true?"

Before he wanted to learn from Hunter Sun, but he firmly remembered what his sister said. So even if he knew Ah Jian was very skilled and he long wished to learn from Ah Jian, he dare not ask.

However, when seeing Ah Jian reveal this move today, he was intensely stimulated and spoke out his desire in envy.

He never thought that Ah Jian didn't treat it like a big deal and agree.

"Of course," Ah Jian laughed and swept a glance at Lian Fang Zhou. He continued, "As long as your sister agree."

Chapter 50: Talkative Third Aunt

Lian Fang Zhou had already notice Lian Ze's thoughts but didn't bring it out into the open. Now that Ah Jian said it like this and Lian Ze eagerly looked over at her, Lian Fang Zhou smiled as she spoke. "You want to learn, and Ah Jian is willing to teach, what else can I say? However, learning a martial art isn't an easy matter. It'll be very arduous."

"I'm not afraid. Thank you, Sister!" Filled with euphoria, Lian Ze thanked Lian Fang Zhou. He turned his head to look at Ah Jian with his sparkling bright eyes, which carried a hint of fawning.

Ah Jian laughed at him and nodded. So this matter was settled like that.

The three of them chopped at one spot, while Uncle Li and the others were much further away. So Uncle Li and the others didn't notice what's happening at their side since they weren't talking loud. If they looked over now, how odd would they think it is, seeing Lian Ze lost in joy.

"Such a big pheasant, so fat! Aiya, so lucky today!" As she commented, Mrs. Zhao was already back from picking up the pheasant.

Ah Jian's stone broke one of the pheasant's wings. It took Mrs. Zhao a lot of effort to catch the flopping bird in the gra.s.s patch.

At this moment, the pheasant in Mrs. Zhao's hand could only cry out tragically and continue flapping its wings as Mrs. Zhao held it up. She laughed: "It's really plump and big. Look at these legs; it's all meat, really thick! Haha, tonight we got good dishes! Such good luck! Didn't waste a trip!"

Everyone looked over and started joking. That pheasant was enormous, at least three jin (1.5kg). It quite rare for pheasant to grow this big.

Aunt Zhang gave her daughter-in-law a criticising stare and lectured: "Look at you, so delighted that you became muddlehead* ((literally: can't tell where north, west, south, east))! If it weren't for Ah Jian, how could you catch the pheasant? When we return, don't forget to give half to Fang Zhou!"

Immediately Mrs. Zhao's heart ached after hearing this. Mother-in-law was right, so she can't refute. Thinking in another way, treat it as doing them a favor. In the future, when Ah Jian catches pheasant, they might share some with her family.

In the end, Mrs. Zhao quickly agreed: "Mother-in-law is right. I had the same thought! Fang Zhou ah, you might as well wait for me to cook the pheasant and then bring over a bowl of it. It'll save some trouble! What do you think?"

Although Mrs. Zhao said this, in her heart she was already scheming: When the time comes, I have already chopped it into pieces. So even if I give them less, they won't notice... Naturally, I can't give them those meatless claws and wings. It'll be too obvious!

Why Lian Fang Zhou bother quibbling over every detail in these small matters? So she replied, "Alright, then I'll trouble Saozi!"

"It's no trouble at all!" Mrs. Zhao laughed in glee.

Seeing that the sun was going to set soon, everyone moved the chopped up wood to the side of the charcoal kiln. After tidying up, they made their way back.

On the way back, Lian Ze was very excited. He stuck to Ah Jian's side as he talked with him. Eyes were completely s.h.i.+ning. Seeing this, Lian Fang Zhou secretly laughed and thought, 'Don't know how many days can he persist. It'll be good if he can really successfully learn a bit.'

Once they returned, Third Aunt had already cooked dinner and also boiled some was.h.i.+ng water for them.

Seeing that they're back, she said: "You guys wash up and rest. I'll cook something, and we can eat! Che-er, come and help me with the fire!"

Lian Fang Zhou called out to stop Third Aunt. "If it not a difficult dish, then cook it in a while. Today we caught a pheasant. Zhao Sao-zi will cook it and bring us a bowl!"

"Pheasant?" Third Aunt's eyes immediately lit up and hurriedly to ask what happened.

Lian Ze was enthusiastic to answer as if praising Ah Jian also make his face glow. He earnestly recounted everything.

Lian Fang Zhou knew without guessing, how Third Aunt would react. She turned around to walk out to wash her hands and face.

Third Aunt had no interest in praising Ah Jian's skills.

As predicted, she just turned around and heard Third Aunt rapidly questioned. "So you're saying Ah Jian shot down a pheasant? Then why did you let Zhao Mei Zi take it? How clever of her! Just cook one bowl for use? Hmph, who knows whether the pot she gave us is bone or meat! No, it can't do, I must go over to her place!"

Originally Lian Fang Zhou wanted to stay out of this matter, but now she can't. She rushed to halt Third Aunt: "Don't go! What's the point of quibbling over every little detail? Whether it's more or less, it's alright! We still need to rely on Uncle Li and Brother San Ge on the charcoal!"

Third Aunt still couldn't accept it. She harrumphed as she glared at Lian Fang Zhou. "You're really generous. I'm afraid someone going to become more and more greedy. It was said that you were very fierce against the Hua Family's daughter-in-law. I believe that was most likely not real?"

As she spoke, she dragged Ah Jian over. "Ah Jian got a powerful body. From what I see, two of your Uncle Li and Brother San Ge added together still isn't enough to match up! What relying on them! Who would believe that!"

Lian Fang Zhou was speechless. Third Aunt is very talented in calculating gain and loss. Lian Fang Zhou could not refute these words.

"How could Hua Family's daughter-in-law compare with Aunt Zhang?" Lian Fang Zhou wrinkled her brows."I said can't go, then you can't go! How much did Aunt Zhang and Uncle Li help us?

Stifled with anger, Third Aunt simply sat down. " Fine then, you said can't go, then I won't go. You're the family head anyway! One matter is one matter, who would say it like you? So, if that Mrs. Zhao asks you for money, you will also give it to her? She said borrow, then what about returning it? If she doesn't return, could you ask for it back?

Lian Fang Zhou replied, "Isn't there still Aunt Zhang? I have my plans, so don't worry!"

Seeing the two of them started quarreling, Ah Jian hurried to intervene. "Third Aunt, listen to Fang Zhou. Isn't it just a pheasant? Next time I see one, I'll catch it!"

Initially, Third Aunt was just feeling indignant and grumbled a bit. She dare not disobey Lian Fang Zhou. Ah Jian's words made her sigh. "You're also helping her. You guys breathe out with the same nostril. What else can I say--- Could you hunt some rabbit?

"Sure!" Ah Jian nodded.

"Any other? Can you catch others?" Immediately Third Aunt was full of curiosity.

Ah Jian laughed and nodded after some giving it some thought. "As long as you can name it, wild goats, wild deer, roe deer, marmot, muntjac... I think I can!"

"Wonderfully! That's just perfect!" Third Aunt started cheering and ordered Ah Jian. "Next time hide it from the Li family, especially that insatiably greedy Mrs. Zhao!"

"Alright." Ah Jian agreed with a nod.

Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che heard Ah Jian talk that impressive; they couldn't help pester him with endless questions. Ah Jian was very patient with them. He answered each question one by one with a smile, making the two little guys exclaim in admiration.

Lian Fang Zhou had already walked away as if she didn't hear anything.

Not long later, Mrs. Zhao brought over a big bowl of soup of stewed mushroom and pheasant in a bamboo basket. And the top was covered with a lid.

Once the lid was uncovered, the aroma overflow. Lian Fang Qing took a deep breath in and her mouth watered. "Smells so good!"

When the authentic aroma floated out, no one could resist the temptation. Even Lian Fang Zhou couldn't help move her fingers toward the table. She gave her thanks with a grin.

Mrs. Zhao carefully placed the pheasant soup on the table and beamed. "Stewed mushroom and pheasant garnished with ginger slice and scallion. Will be very savory! It's split in half between us, two families. We didn't take any more than that!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.2K 15.1K 57
لە جیهانێکدا کە تەنها خەیاڵ دەتوانێت ئەندێشەی بۆ بکات لەو جیهانەدا تاکەکانی ناوی هەمووی خاوەنی هێزن هێزی جۆراوجۆر کە هەر تاکێکی ئەم گەلە تایبەتمەن...
23.9K 1.7K 35
"Say it. Say you hate me. Say you want to leave. But remember-no one will ever touch you like I do. No one will ever love you the way I do" "I hate y...
53.1K 257 5
This book contains a lot of smut so if you don't like it, you can leave🥰
183K 3.9K 21
❝ 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒏 𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑟, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢'𝑟𝑒 𝒄𝒓𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒄𝒓𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 ❞ 𝒊𝒏 𝒘...