Unloved

By itz_michelle

#1 in the Unloved Series Rachel Bradstone is your average rich, spoiled, mean girl. It seems that Rachel has... More

My Inspiration - The Story Behind Unloved
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Surprise! - Letting Go

Eight

484 33 9
By itz_michelle

M E G A N

After we finished having our breakfast, we had Bible Study and Pastor Jeff was taking us throughout the summer camp. He really inspired me when he preached. It was like he spoke straight to your heart. I looked all around me. Rachel was nowhere to be found. I sighed. I guessed so. It wasn't unusual of Rachel to skip anything. It was a norm in her life. When we were done with that, we had camp activities. 

Every bunk had different camp activities each day. Our bunk had swimming as our camp activity that day and we were sent to our bunk to change into our swimsuits and such. Almost everyone was excited, that is, everyone except me. Swimming and I don't get along very well. I just hate it and I'm more comfortable with earth than water. 

I didn't have a swimsuit and so I just wore a white tank top and denim knee - length shorts. When Rachel finished dressing up and came into the room, everyone immediately became silent and stared at her. I sighed. Everywhere Rachel went, she dressed exquisitely and everybody was stunned and awed by her beauty.

A few minutes later, girls literally attacked Rachel, admiring the reddish - pink swimsuit Rachel had put on. She accessorized it with black sunglasses and matching pink flip - flops. She was one of the few people who had their ears pierced. 

She shoved and pushed through the crowd and headed outside. The admiring girls excitedly followed her. Why does this always happen to her? I wondered. It's not like I wanted to be like her. It's just that she's popular and all. I guess maybe, I'm jealous, I don't know. 

The bunk prefect, Dawn, headed outside with the rest of the girls trailing behind, including me. Once we were outside, a cool breeze hit me and everyone excitedly gathered around the swimming pool. I groaned. 

What did people like about swimming? The swimming pool was very beautiful. The aquamarine tiles made the water seem blue. No one was interested  in swimming anymore. All their attention was on Rachel.

 Boys gaped at her and people took out their phones and other electronic devices to take pictures. The lifeguard was even flirting with her. What was Rachel doing here when her only aim was to show off? I sat by the edges of the pool, gazing at the aquamarine tiles which shone brightly. Little did I know that Rachel, who was behind me, pushed me and I fell into the water. Immediately, that happened, everyone was silent. The lifeguard jumped into the swimming pool and dragged me out of the water. I coughed and wheezed and soon enough, I felt fine.

I was drenched from head to toe. My brown hair and clothes were wet. I squeezed the water out. I had a terrible scolding from the lifeguard.

"You know you could've died out there! What is wrong with you?", he asked me.

"I didn't do anything. One moment I was sitting at the edge of the pool and the next moment I was...", I started but was interrupted by Rachel.

"Your argument is pointless, Megan. One of the rules is that you shouldn't sit at the edge of the pool", Rachel told me.

"But I was pushed. I felt it", I said.

"You have no proof", Rachel told me. She was standing right in front of me.

"So you are trying to say  that I just fell into the water?" I asked.

"Exactly. You're catching up", Rachel smiled a fake smile at me.

"That's enough bickering, girls", Dawn said sternly.

Dawn handed me a towel and I went to the bathroom to clean myself up. I didn't know this, but Rachel was following me. It was only when I looked into the mirror that I saw her. I jumped, my heart beating three times faster. She had scared me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing. Just wanted to make sure you get cleaned up well", Rachel replied.

"Oh, and Dawn wants to see us. So please hurry up", Rachel added.

"I know you pushed me into the pool, Rachel", I said after a few minutes of silence.

"Yeah, I did. You can't prove it", Rachel said.

"I know. All I want to know is.... why did you do that to me?" I asked.

"It was just a prank. Plus, you have to see the lighter side of it", Rachel replied.

"There is no lighter side of anything, Rachel. I'm going to get in real trouble", I explained.

"It's not going to be long. Just a couple of weeks", Rachel told me.

I didn't say anything, but quickly cleaned myself up. I was ready to face the music for something that I didn't do. I went out with Rachel trailing behind me. Dawn didn't say anything when she saw us but motioned for us to follow her. After what seemed like minutes, we finally arrived at our destination. It was a small brownhouse surrounded with all kinds of flowers. Dawn had already left, leaving Rachel and I.  I lightly knocked on the wooden door.

"Come in", a quavery voice said.

We entered. Rachel's grandmother was writing something when we entered. I felt guilty for wasting her time, she had enough problems on her hands.

"I heard that you intentionally jumped into the pool", Rachel's grandmother said, going straight to the point.

"Yes", I lied.

"But it was an accident", I quickly added.

"Accident or no accident, you broke the rules and you deserve punishment. To be honest, I was taken aback by what I heard. The Megan I know doesn't do this", Rachel's grandmother said, looking at me intently. I looked at the red tiles on the floor. I couldn't meet her gaze. Great, just great. She was disappointed in me.

"How long will the detention be?" Rachel asked quietly.

I didn't even know she was behind me.

"Just some days, nothing harmless", Rachel's grandmother said and smiled at me. I smiled back.

"I think it's time for you two to leave", Rachel's grandmother told us. We nodded and left.

❤❤❤❤❤❤

The next morning, I tried to remember everything that happened yesterday. Oh, right! I was on detention. I did my morning things and said my morning prayers. I pulled out my Bible from my red tote bag. I flipped through the pages. I silently prayed that God would give me wisdom to understand what I was reading.

 I looked at the black Bible. I flipped through the pages again. That's what I always did. I didn't have any devotional book. I just pray and ask God for guidance and when I just flip through the pages and read whatever page I land is the page I read. I think it's better that way. Okay, so as I was doing this, I landed at Matthew 5:43-44.

Matthew 5:43-44

43. You have heard the law that says Love your neighbour and hate your enemy.

44. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!

Hmmm.... My mind drifted towards Rachel. I have never considered Rachel as an enemy, but I don't really consider her as a friend either. I was so confused. Maybe I needed to be somewhere else. I needed to get out of this room. 

I hated being stuck in the same place for hours.A walk and some fresh air would do me some good. I had no idea where I was going. I just needed to be out of that dorm room. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned round to stare into the most beautiful set of brown eyes. My lips instantly turned upside down when I realized who it was. What was he doing here?

"You're Megan, right?" He asked me.

"Yeah. You are?" I asked him.

"I'm Matthew. Aren't you supposed to be in detention?"

Oh. So that's why he walked up to me. I should have known.

"Yeah. So what are you going to do? Tell on me?"

"No, no. You don't deserve it. I saw what Rachel did to you."

I didn't say anything but was glad someone was on my side.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Matthew asked me.

I was tempted to snap at him but held my tongue.

"I just wanted some fresh air", I replied.

I felt a hand cover my eyes and another one tugging me to who-knows-where. I struggled to release myself from his strong grip but my efforts were useless. After what felt like hours, my eyes could see clearly. I took in my surroundings and realized that Matthew had taken me to what looked like an abandoned park.

Thoughts of despair run through my mind. What if Matthew brought me here to cause me harm?

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked angrily.

"You wanted a place that's quiet and where you would get some fresh air, right?"

I only nodded, not trusting myself to say anything.

We sat on a bench in silence , each of us lost in his own thoughts. Was it a trend for popular people to spend their vacation at summer? Why was Matthew being nice to me? He barely talked to me at school. Speaking of popularity, my mind shifted to the verse I had read earlier in the day. I knew God was telling me to show love to Rachel but it was so difficult. 

Apparently, she hated me and made it very obvious. Was I the only one who could see the despair in Rachel's baby-blue eyes? Behind her perfect facade, I could see brokenness, hurt and loneliness. Okay, God. I'm going to do it. Just give me the heart to love her, I silently prayed.

I leaned back in the seat, closed my eyes and sighed heavily in exhaustion. Today, at least, I was able to pull myself together. I knew what to do next. Knowing didn't make it any easier. This was going to be much, much harder than I thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

643 52 25
Organized crime and gangs run all over the world. So how did Rachel Conners end up in the grasps of one of the strongest in the nation? Her father d...
16 1 10
Terri loves her best friend Brooke though they never exactly told one another. Terri made the most horrible mistake of her life marrying Monica whose...
124K 3.7K 30
There's a thin line between hate and Love. That's what the saying says. But for the two individuals who grown to hate each other is just a silly joke...
402 34 17
Evan and Allison were complete high school sweethearts. He was the only one who could make her feel better with just a smile. After graduation Evan d...