A Summer's Secret

By _cynical

Secrets come with a price. Asia Cassidy is about to learn that secrets aren't free (and are not that easy t... More

EPIGRAPH
Prologue
☼Chapter 1 [[THE SECRET]]
☼Chapter 2
☼Chapter 3
☼Chapter 4
☼Chapter 5
☼Chapter 6
☼Chapter 7
☼Chapter 8
☼Chapter 9
☼Chapter 10
☼Chapter 11
☼Chapter 12
☼Chapter 13 [[ THE TRUTH ]]
☼Chapter 14
☼Chapter 15
☼Chapter 16
☼Chapter 17
☼Chapter 18
☼Chapter 19
☼Chapter 20
☼Chapter 21
☼Chapter 23
☼Chapter 24
☼Chapter 25
☼Chapter 26
☼Chapter 27
☼Chapter 28
☼Chapter 29
☼Chapter 30
☼Chapter 31
☼Chapter 32
☼Chapter 33 [The Revelation]
☼Chapter 34
☼Chapter 35
☼Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus

☼Chapter 22

3.4K 158 7
By _cynical

 22

                        I was there by the window, marveling at the room filled with pastel colored ball gowns. Ladies and gentlemen were dancing to a beautiful romantic melody and smiles and giggles enveloped the room. The round moon was peeking through large open windows, and there he was, in a stunning white tux, his hair combed into perfection, I felt even more self conscious as I figured that he was looking at me too. He held out his hand and I stared at it mouth hanging.

"Well, don't just leave me hanging here. That would seriously hurt my self esteem," he said in an attempt to be cocky but I was pretty sure he was nervous as well, unsure if I was going to reject him or not.

I let out a sigh, "well we wouldn't want that do we?" I replied with my own smirk as I took his hand, ashamed of the clamminess of my own.

He took me to the center of the room where the chandeliers hung like icy diamonds above us. A slow music started to play and the world around us felt like it was coming to a halt.

It was the perfect night, my hand on his shoulder and the other held in his own. His beautiful blue eyes shone brighter than the moon could ever shine and...

Asia, we have a situation!

I woke abruptly in response to my sister's boyfriend's cousin's voice shouting from outside my door. He sounded frantic, panicked that I decided to wake and leave the dream world behind with a sigh. Maybe my romantic fairytale dance with Aiden could wait. I would've felt repulsed if I dreamt of something like that weeks, months ago. Past me would be so disgusted of present me if she knew I was having a fairytale fantasy with Aiden Walker.

"Asia, help!" Cade shouted once more, snapping me out of my trance. I gave my cheek a gentle slap to keep me awake as I bolted out of my bed, hurriedly pulled a jacket over my shoulders and ran out of my room still trying to zip the first pair of jeans I could grab my hands on. I didn't even care about my uncombed hair or my aviator jacket over the shirt I wore in my sleep, to heck with making myself presentable.

"Cade, where is Sam?" I said in labored breaths after I practically ran down the stairs to find Cade carrying a pained looking London bridal style.

"He went out on an emergency meeting this morning," he said, still sounding panic. London groaned in his arms her hands placed over the swell of her belly.

"What do you want me to do?" I replied with an equally panicked tone, my arms flailing at my sides I probably looked like a baboon.

"Go get the car, and hurry!" Cade instructed.

"Alright, alright," I replied, still under pressure and panic as I dashed out of the house and into the garage with Cade following slowly behind me.

"Shit," London continued to curse and groan in Cade's arms. I continued to panic as I fumbled over the car keys, Cade then positioned London gently in the backseat and I looked at her through the rearview mirror, she really looked pained as she blew short breaths out of her lips.

As soon as Cade was settled in the front seat I immediately turned the engine on and drove the car out of the garage. We just hit the curb when a blow erupted from behind the car, I heard Cade curse for the first time as he turned his head backward to the sound of the blow.

I banged my head on the steering wheel when I noticed the engine starting to fail.

"Oh my God," I said, "what are we going to do now?"

"What about you push the car Hercules?" London said to Cade in a constrained voice.

"We don't have time for that," I panicked.

Cade sighed and ran out of the car, "maybe I should just hail a cab."

I looked at London awkwardly, only to earn a look from her that seemed to say 'what the hell are you looking at?' so I looked down slowly and excused myself, "yeah uhm maybe I should go help Cade hail a cab."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and followed Cade who was standing with fidgety hands across the street.

"Asia, this is hopeless," Cade said, "it would take a miracle to take that cranky woman to the hospital fast."

I glanced back to the car where London was starting to fan herself with her hand as she took what looked like exaggerated breaths out of her lips. London's been pregnant for almost five months now, no way is that baby coming out just now.

I was about to ask Cade what could possibly be wrong with London when a sleek and familiar looking Impala drove right at our street. I didn't have to confirm with Cade whether you know, it's Aiden, because my heart automatically did a somersault as I caught a glimpse of his Raven hair popping out as he made his way out of the car. No way am I ever going to admit that out loud though.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. It was actually hard to try and purse my lips when all it wants to do is grin from ear to ear.

"You don't sound too happy to see me Cassidy," he replied in mock hurt.

I rolled my eyes at him but deep inside my heart was pounding like mad and if I didn't know any better Cade looked like he knew what I was hiding and that he was fighting off a laugh as he was looking at me and Aiden.

"You see him and you automatically forget your suffering sister!" London screamed through the open window. This time Cade had to fake a cough just to stop himself from blurting out a laughter.

I could feel my cheeks burn in humiliation. If only this wasn't an emergency. "Why don't you make yourself useful Aiden, and maybe try and lend us a hand?" I tried to let that statement out as something less needy sounding or clingy sounding. God I wished I wasn't the clingy type of girlfriend back when Aiden and I used to date.

Aiden sort of did a curtsy with his face looking up at me with a smirk, "how could I be of help m'lady?"

Gosh, that smirk is enough to make me weak on the knees but I just had to keep myself together. Just for now. "First things first, we kinda need a ride."

~

"False alarm" that's what the doctor said after we waited for almost half an hour for London to be given attention. According to the doctor false labor contractions were normal especially now that London is in her fifth month. She also mentioned that these contractions could actually get worse and though we panicked over a false alarm it was also good of us to bring her to the hospital as fast as we could.

London insisted that we go back home but a phone call from Sam told us to let her stay here as he would come see her later after the meeting.

Sam actually makes me smile. I'm happy my sister found a guy like him because really a girl as feisty, impulsive, dramatic and unpredictable as London could really use a stable ground, someone like Sam who's always calm and collected, someone who could actually make my sister less cynical. I seriously hope they finally end up together, like for real.

"You can go if you want to," Cade spoke, shaking me out of my thoughts.

"Go where?" I asked, my brain still lagging behind.

"Out, go see a movie with Aiden or something," he said it like he didn't have anything malicious going on in his mind but I knew better. I knew pretty darn well that Cade Matthews was teasing me...somewhat.

"That's a good idea," Aiden said from behind me. Where did he came from I really don't know.

"Bad idea," I replied.

"Loosen up A, we could go get ice cream or eat pizza if you want. I can tell this really stressed you out," Aiden said with a semi-smirk. I didn't know there was such a thing a semi-smirk until Aiden showed it otherwise.

But he's right, I kind of needed a break, "you know what Walker, stressed is seriously an understatement," I started, "but I'll take your offer as long as you're paying."

"Sounds like a fine deal to me," Aiden said with a happy shrug of the shoulder.

Cade whispered against my ear and all I wanted to do was smack him, right at his beautiful face,"I'd bet a Fifty that you just wanted to go out with him and that you were just being hard to get."

"Shut up Cade," I muttered as I stood up and acted like I needed to dust of my jeans, "so where do you wanna go?"I asked Aiden as smoothly as I could muster.

~

I never thought that Aiden Theodore Walker would prefer going to the amusement park rather than go see a movie with a girl alone in the dark. Not that I want to go see a movie with Aiden alone, in the dark. Oh God my thoughts.

"So which ride would you want to go on first? Let's just skip the Merry-Go-Round," Aiden said without even looking at me. I could tell that he was actually very excited to engage in an amusement park adventure. Not that I'm judging him or anything but oh my stars Aiden is so cute when he's all grinning and eyes gleaming like a little boy in Disneyland.

"Why are we skipping the Merry-go-Round?" I butted, "they're a classic you can't just skip them."

Aiden snorted and rolled his eyes at me, "Asia, if there's one thing, I really hate going around in circles."

I wanted to ask if he meant something else other than the Merry-Go-Round but I decided against it as I found myself tugging at his sleeve, "how 'bout we go there first?" I said as I pointed at the pendulum looking ride right in front of us.

"You wanna go on The Apollo?" Aiden asked me like he was unsure whether I could handle it but his furrowed brows quickly transformed into his usual smirking-grinning face, "well I could handle a couple of puking moments," he added.

"I bet you'll be the first to puke," I dared.

"Be careful what you're challenging me darling. You wouldn't want to bet anything against me," Aiden said, returning the challenge.

"I'm not intimidated, so bring it on Walker," I replied, crossing my arms in front of my chest for dramatic effect. "You of all people should know I don't get scared easily," I added, and as the words left my mouth I actually almost regretted them.

Where the hell did that daring courage come from?

Aiden chuckled as he imitated my pose, "Sweetie, me of all people know how easily you get scared...especially of big bad rides."

I rolled my eyes and muttered a 'whatever' as Aiden and I made our way towards The Apollo.

So I couldn't really figure out when or how it happened: Aiden and I pinky sweared on a puking bet and we raced towards The Apollo and then, there I was, hanging on to dear life as I screamed and screamed over my lungs and Aiden watched me in hysterical laughter.

We were just rocking back and forth for a couple of seconds but I felt like my world was about to go inside out my gut was churning and I was fighting hard not to throw up. Around me the other riders seemed to have fun even the granny in front of me was "wee-ing" with fun. I should've never made that bet with Aiden.

"I guess I'm gonna win the bet now hon," Aiden said after I've calmed myself down feeling a wee bit nauseous.

"Don't be so sure about that, the rides not yet over, plenty of time for the tables to-" I wasn't able to finish my come back because you know what happened- I lost the bet.

Aiden laughed some more as a granny moved farther looking at my direction with disgust. I wonder if I should tell her that she's got puke on her silly floral handbag.

"You can never win a bet against me Asia Gertrude," Aiden said as he assisted me down the ride. I still felt dizzy and I was trying my best not to let Aiden win for the second time. No, I'm not puking so guts you better keep your shit together.

"Alright, you won what do you want?" I asked grudgingly as I placed my hands on my hips.

"How about a kiss," Aiden said and I slapped his arm as he made kissy motions, disgusting, but cute.

"Hold on Romeo," I said as I placed a hand I front of his face, "you really like me so much, that you just can't stop yourself huh?"

"Well, I wouldn't say that's not true."

"What?" I blink my confusion away, he just said he loves me right? I didn't imagine it. I willed myself not to smile.

"Whatever, okay if you won't give me a kiss then you just better come with me and watch a movie," he said with a smile as he pointed at a theater place in front of us.

"Sounds good to me," I replied as I placed my hands inside my pocket.

"Oh boy, I hope they're playing Gatsby," Aiden said in excitement as he grabbed my wrist and led me towards the theater house.

~

                We didn't watch Gatsby, much to Aiden's dismay but what was playing in the theater was way worse. It was a crazy movie about two people both liking each other yet neither one of them did something to make something happen it just frustrated me. Why can't two people who have feelings for each other just get together for the heck of it?

We went out of the theater with the both of us discussing the movie. Aiden just watched me with a grin. What was up with him?

"I hated the movie," I said.

"Why is that?" He responded, the silly grin still plastered on his face.

"Well for starters the characters were stupid, I mean hello it was obvious they like it each other. They were just making stuff harder for themselves with George dating Kimmy just to try and make Lily jealous well whataya know George ended up making Kimmy pregnant and Lily heartbroken. Stupid I tell you," I rambled the words and I doubt Aiden was able to catch what I was saying.

"Hey love is a one big conundrum, it's probably the third one on the list of the most enigmatic concepts in the world next to life and death," Aiden replied. I actually find it cute when he goes all out intellectual on random conversations like this. "No one is expected to solve it."

"Can the world make it at least less confusing for the faint of heart or something?" I replied a wee bit jokingly.

Aiden stared at me, beautiful blue eyes and all, and laughed. I found myself laughing along with him as well. Maybe that's why pre-accident Asia Cassidy fell in love with this guy. He was beautiful, intelligent, romantic, and basically everything an 18 year old golden boy should be.

To be honest, I was still surprised Aiden actually isn't the heartless womanizer I thought him to be.

Once the laughter died, I found myself biting my lower lip. The whole scene just got awkward with him staring intently at me and me trying to avoid his gaze.

"Well at least they still ended up together," Aiden finally said, he still was smiling and I'm thinking he enjoyed seeing me this way.

"Well it took a long time for the two of them to realize their feelings," I said and I could sense my brows almost meeting at the center, my arms were now crossed in front of my chest.

What the hell did I just say?

"Reminds me of someone I know," Aiden said with a smirk.

"Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?" I retorted.

"You know what I mean Cassidy," he replied with a wink.

The nerve.

{chapter dedication}

BECAUSE I HAVE SUCH A COOL MINIMALISTIC LOOKING COVER THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL XTAASY

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 26.5K 91
#17 in teen fiction (28/12/18) #7 in girls (02/01/19) #14 in teen fiction (15/04/19) #3 in boys (10/11/19) PUBLISHED✅: 15/06/17 COMPLETED FULLY✅: 06...
144K 6.8K 63
Gawking two guys in a hot-blown make-out session in the mathematical section of the library was not what I expected my first day after Winter breaks...
129K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
31.9K 2K 53
"I would scream but I have a headache from crying my eyes out in the bathroom. You have twenty seconds to explain why you broke into my house before...