Picking Up a General to Plow...

By jiminjamie97

This is a reincarnation story, where you have a normal woman who gets thrown into the body of a village girl... More

Chapter 1,2,3: Awakening
Chapter 4: Another unexpected Guest
Chapter 5: Breaking the engagement
Chapter 6: Ten liang isn't much
Chapter 7: Gifting Chicken eggs
Chapter 8- 9 : The two family's relationship
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 - Finally took back the grain
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 - Mrs Liu came to insult/yell again part 1
Chapter 20 Mrs Liu came to insult again (part 2)
Chapter 21 Forcing her to apologize
Chapter 22 - 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 41 - 50
Chapter 51 - 60
Chapter 61 - 62
Chapter 63 - Li Zheng Has A Big Announcement
Chapter 64 - Li Zheng Has A Big Announcement (2)
Chapter 65 - Li Zheng Has A Big Announcement (3)
Chapter 66 - Raising Funds
NOT AN UPDATE

Chapter 28 - 40

5.7K 124 12
By jiminjamie97

28. Third Aunts entry denied

Third Aunt? Lian Fang Zhou froze, mentally cried out in misery.

It's not that she doesn't care about the original souls things, but actually she didn't even know about the existence of Third Aunt, and she doesn't even know what kind of character is Third Aunt. After stirring trouble at Uncle and Aunts place, would she come over to her home for a turn?

Aunt Zhang let out a sound of amazement, hurriedly asked Li Juan: Xiao Man is back? Why did she come back at this time?

Aunt Zhang saw that the sky is already dark and misty.

I also don't know. Li Juan thought about it, said: Anyway, this time she is making a very big stir! Second Uncle Lian and Aunt Qiao, they won't allow Xiao Man to enter the house door. So Xiao Man sat at the entrance crying and yelling, insulting them too! A lot of people are watching (i.e. viewing and gossiping/commenting) Oh yeah, Aunt Qiao also won't let Xiao Man in and to go to Fang Zhou's house, saying their house will definitely not take her in!

Hearing this, Lian Fang Zhou's heart sank, seems like whatever this Third Aunt is, she isn't someone to be trifled with. Mrs Qiao that guy, no good things come out of her mouth! What if Third Aunt really went to her home, then what should she do!'

Lian Fang Zhou was a bit agitated and couldn't stay standing, she better rush back and see! She hastily said a few words and hurried back home.

Aunt Zhang asked Li Juan a bit more, however Li Juan didn't know a lot, so she couldn't get much information.

Aunt Zhang sighed "Xiao Man is also difficult to deal with, it could be said that she is fifty to eighty per cent like the Lian Family's couple! Oh, if she really did go to Fang Zhou's house, oh really pitiful children!

At the side, Mrs Zhao couldn't help curling her lips, grinning Mother, you worry too much! The current Fang Zhou isn't easy to bully! Think about time with that Hua Family's daughter-in-law. Without Fang Zhou's agreement, I bet, no matter how Xiao Man was forceful, she wouldn't be able to enter their (Fang Zhou's) home door! However I feel that the Fang Zhou now is a lot better than before, he he!

What do you know! Aunt Zhang glared at Mrs Zhao, mentally saying you say and feel that the Fang Zhou now is good because now she give you gifts? You Aare just so short-sighted!

How could you understand? Lian Xiao Man isn't Hua Family's daughter-in-law, she's the Fang Zhou's and her siblings legitimate-related Third Aunt, (Basically she is the legitimate related third aunt of Lian Fang Zhou and her siblings generation Must be their father's third oldest in family sister with same mother and father so she is called legitimate) which makes her (TA) an elder! Even if she (TA) is in the wrong (TLN: can't find the right word for the phrase but this is the closest), she's still the elder

Driving an elder out the door, suffering people's denouncement is unavoidable! In this village, perhaps there'll be some people saying crude words! Especially the Hua Family, so how could they let go of this opportunity?

If like this, Fang Zhou's name will definitely be damaged, not only her, the four siblings reputation will suffer. In future it will affect their marriage! (TLN: not exactly the marriage but the getting married part)

But, that Lian Xiao Man isn't someone good, if the siblings let her in the house, being bullied by her is unavoidable? There's a possibility of those hard earned money to be scammed away by her.

Ah, this matter really is-

That can't do, I better go have a look! The more Aunt Zhang thought about, the more she worries. She finally couldn't endure it and stopped whatever she was working on and went out.

Even though this matter is hard to deal with, if she is by the side watching, at the right time she could help say a few words. Not letting the siblings suffer.

Aunt Zhang hastily rushed to Lian Fang Zhou's house. With a look, she only finds Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che at home. Lian Che was at the kitchen watching the fire for dinner.

She couldn't help stare blankly, quickly she asked Lian Fang Qing in the central room Girl, where's your sister and brother?"

Lian Fang Qing was giggling and called out Aunt Zhang'. Hearing Aunt Zhang asks her, she replied: My sister and second brother went to aunt's place, let me and third brother stay at home!

What! Aunt Zhang was surprised, her face changed.

Lian Fang Qing was a bit puzzled, saying they just went over ah!

Oh no! Aunt Zhang stomp her feet, not want to talk to her (LFQ) anymore and hurriedly headed over to where Lian Fang Zhou was.

Her heart couldn't help secretly be anxious and complained 'this girl, what is she actually planning! At this time she should wait to avoid trouble, why did it become like this? Reversed and sending her up?! Is this for real?!'

Aunt Zhang didn't know that Lian Fang Zhou have her own plan.

After she (LFZ) hastily returned from Aunt Zhangs house, she couldn't bother with the other problem, and first ask Lian Ze about this Third Aunt person.

Lian Ze blanked for a second then told her in detail and was puzzled that out of nowhere she (LFZ) asked about her (TA)?

The more she hear about Third Aunt the more Lian Fang Zhou's brow frowned, never thought that this Third Aunt is also troublesome and a difficult character.

Selfish, petty, harsh mouth

Especially hearing that her husband is no longer in this world and her relationship with her (TA) mother-in-law and sister-in-law isn't very good, made Lian Fang Zhou's brow creased even tighter

So to speak, if Mrs Qiao set on the idea of not letting her in, 7-8 out of 10 she will come to her home.

To her own family, she (TA) is an elder ah! If she (LFZ) shut her out the door, that would be unfilial ah! In this era, no one dare carry the unfilial hat. Even Lian Fang Zhou, who isn't afraid of heaven or earth, wouldn't dare.

Once the unfilial hat is fastening on, then that's the real end!'

Not only her, her siblings would also be affected. If by chance offended a vile person, then Lian Ches school matters may possibly fall apart.

But, rather than being made to wait for Third Aunt to come knocking on the door, wouldn't taking the initiative to find her Third Aunt, be a better value? At least her family will gain a good reputation, and also Third Aunt would owe her debt of gratitude.

This way, she could more or less control the situation a bit, otherwise wouldn't it be that, what she(TA) says would be what it is?

Lian Fang Zhou would never let any other person come to her home and put an appearance of an elder, wanting to be the head of house making decisions.

This houses master is her, only she could protect the siblings. In midst of thinking, without hesitation she pulled Lian Ze out of the door, straight over to Lian Lis house.

Aunt Zhang rushed to nothing at Lian Fang Zhous house, turned around to anxiously rush over to Lian Lis house. She's afraid that the two siblings would be at a disadvantage ah!

When Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze arrived, the Qiao couple and Lian Xiao Man was in midst of a terrible row (fighting).

They could only see Mrs Qiao both hands on hips blocking the yards entrance, Lian Li standing behind Mrs Qiao acting as back up, and Lian Xiao Man fallen down sitting on the ground lamenting to heaven and knock her head on earth(means wailing her woe). Dozen to twenty villagers stood around pointing.

Only to hear Mrs Qiao loudly say Once a girl married off, it is like pouring water out of a basin, your man is dead, then you should guard him, serve your father-in-law and mother-in-law well, that's what you should be doing! What's with running back to maternal home? If we take you in, then we are harming you! And also, our Ah Hai is still at the County Town Academy studying, he's studying for scholar, in future will study for Juren (those who pass imperial exams)! You shamelessly running back, will implicate our family principles, how could we be worthy of and not let down Ah Hai? Humph! Today no matter what you say, this old lady won't let you in, so kill off that desire!

Lian Xiao Man didn't even bother with her (MQ) and just powerfully slapped the ground, crying about deceased parents, crying about her life is bitter, crying about how elder brother treated her in the past when she was little, pressuring Lian Li Elder Brother, right or wrong, you should say something! I'm your blood-related sister! How could you be so heartless! After my man passed away, left or right, mother-in-law isn't pleased with me, brother-in-law and sister-in-law bully me! I didn't say I'll stay and wouldn't leave, just staying over a few days and ask brother to help me say a few fair words. Or is this not possible for elder brother? Even heartlessly not bothering with your own blood-related sister, you still dare say family principles or not! This is a crooked, evil wind! Thoroughly crooked! (TLN family principles= (door wind), crooked wind=, a little play on word. Lian Xiao Man is swapping door for crooked)

Everyone around started to whisper and point, some said Lian Li is in the wrong, also some said Lian Xiao Man is in the wrong.

Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze silently stood at the outer edge listening.

From the words within the speech, Lian Fang Zhou could hear a lot of information, like at the start how arrogant Lian Xiao Man was when her husband was alive. She looked down on brother and sister-in-law and now suffering hardship because she can't do anything and can't resent them for not helping her and the likes of her.

Lian Fang Zhou couldn't stop her smile from sprouting, this really is men said man have reason and women said woman have reason (means there is much to be said on both sides)!

Lian Li copied Lian Xiao Man, also pretend didn't hear anything.

Mrs Qiao became incoherent with rage after hearing her, couldn't endure turning into an old almanac (guess she's going through the memory lane) and start giving out. Lian Xiao Man couldn't accept and argue back.

The more both side row, the more each other's rage grew, Lian Xiao Man was really angry, pointedly yelling you hussy purposely stirring up trouble, I'll fight it out with you!" She then suddenly stood up and ram into Mrs Qiao with her head.

29. Third Aunt PK Aunt

Mrs Qiao was caught off guard, Aiya sounded as she was rammed at the lower abdomen,it hurt so much that her vision was black, her body couldnt stand the pain so she stumbled backward.

Luckily Lian Li who was standing behind her and did not fall over. Some people in the crowd gently laughing.

How could Mrs Qiao simply let it go after suffering this? With wild anger, it only took one push for her, (Mrs Qiao) to shove Lian Li away. Yelling You dare hit me? What do you think you are to dare to throw a fit at my door! She rushed towards Lian Xiao Man.

The two sister-in-laws' twisted together, hitting as well as cursing. The twos momentum was too fierce, everyone was stunned for a moment, when they came back around, they hurried to pull apart the two to mediate.

The two was like you pull my hair, Ill pull your clothes collar. Everyone pulled for a good while before they could separate the two. The two was still fiercely staring at each other with red eyes, panting as they insult each other endlessly, clothes were a mess, hair was dishevelled. Both were in dire strait and ferocious.

Lian Fang Zhou looked towards them, nearly bursting out in fits of laughter, the word 'shrew is simply the vivid portrayal of the situation in front. Lian Xiao Man screamed and cried out 'father and mother' again, as she started crying. Mrs Qiao cursed non-stop, for a period of time it was uneventful.

Our Lian Familys Eldest, you should say something! Letting them stir trouble like this is hardly presentable! No one knew who in the crowd called out.

Thats right, thats right! Everyone else echoed.

Lian Lis brows lightly pinched up, unhappily swept a glance at the direction which the voice sounded out, blaming the person that was being so nosy.

In all fairness, of course she (Mrs Qiao) isnt willing to let Lian Xiao Man stay.

Because after Lian Xiao Mans man died, it was already, not the first time she returned to her family. Every time she returned, she shamelessly doesnt want to leave, this time, she arrived when the day has nearly darken, Lian Li mentally guessed that she definitely stirred up some trouble at her husbands family again, and this time, theres a possibility of staying even longer, and may even shamelessly not leave!

Of course Lian Li wouldnt let her stay. The person who just called was very loud, even if Lian Li want to pretend he didnt hear anything is a bit difficult. So he frowned so deep that it was even more unsightly. Only he was sluggish and had yet to come forward to respond, he sees Lian Fang Zhou pulling Lian Ze over them, pa.s.s through the crowd and abruptly came up front.

The siblings came to Lian Xiao Mans front, Lian Fang Zhou reached out and supported her (Xiao Man), calling out, Third Aunt!

This was out of the blue, so everyone was shocked. Including Lian Xiao Man herself. Lian Li was secretly relieved, the foot that was raised was gently put back. Aunt Zhang has also just arrived at this time, and also froze when she saw this situation.

Third Aunt, since Uncle and Aunt refuse to take you in, then you come to our place! I am willing to take you in. Lian Fang Zhou grasped Lian Xiao Mans hand, her word were very gentle, but the meaning was completely straightforward. Moreover, she used the word take in, that is saying she, Lian Fang Zhou is the owner.

Aunt Zhang heard what she said, she then understood her intention, couldnt help but to praise Fang Zhou with Brilliance', Aunt Zhang made up her mind help her (Fang Zhou) in a while. Everyone never thought that Lian Fang Zhou was this generous, so numerous discussion of praise emerge.

Lian Fang Zhou lightly smiled as she said, Its what should be done! And no longer speaked more. Mrs Qiao wasnt happy. She felt that Lian Fang Zhou did it on purpose, intentionally using this to ridicule her, make her look bad or else why did she come now to take in Lian Xiao Man? Not wait for everyone to disperse then say it?

Although Mrs Qiao couldnt accept it at heart, but it isnt good to open her mouth, once she open her mouth, it would seem like she is fighting with Lian Fang Zhou to keep Lian Xiao Man, she certainly wont do that!

On Lian Lis side, he already breathe out a sigh of relief as he called out Thats right, thats right! You go over to Fang Zhous home! We are also doing it for your good! Fang Zhous home got a big bundle of food, how much would four children eat? No worries with one more person! Unlike us, every day we got to count the amount to cook, oh, we have no other way, Ah Hais study need money! Why need to suffer with us.

Lian Li explaining like this, was good as it points out his own difficulties, it seems like they cant take in Lian Xiao Man cause of predicament, at once it made the peoples feeling of disgust lessen a lot. After all, whose family doesnt place their child as the most important thing? Pity all the parents heart ah!(Means Parents tend to worry about their children.)

But Lian Xiao Man snorted again and again, facing the ground as she fiercely spat a mouthful, glaring at Lian Lin If you really thought like that I also wouldnt have blame you, you should have told me clearly from the start! Why didnt you say so from the start, but you had to wait for Fang Zhou came, wait til she open her mouth first, then you say that? What do you mean doing for my own good? Only seeing Fang Zhou say like this so you can happily say such generous words! Those that doesnt know would really think you are something good! Hmph, being a b.i.t.c.h still want to set up an arch, is talking your kind of goods!

You - Lian Li didnt expect Lian Xiao Man to not give him face, in front of his face she said such ugly words, it made him so angry that his face flushed. Within the crowd, some could not endure and gently started laughing. Although Lian Xiao Mans words was harsh, everyone thought about it and felt it was really reasonable.

Afraid that before Lian Fang Zhou came, those two would want to stop Lian Xiao Man and not allow her into the door, not allowing her to take any advantage of their family, how is it really thinking for her own good? If they really thinking for her own good, then at least let her into the room, sit down and slowly discuss, even if they havent yet think of Lian Fang Zhous place!

No one would be cold and ruthless to block the door, then turned around and get some ready-made advantage, saying its for their sake! Everyone talked about the Lian Li couple, as a person, they cant help but be even more shameless.

When hearing Lian Li say that, the two Lian siblings (Fang Zhou and Ah Ze) stared at each other, eyes saying so nauseating, didnt expect that Lian Xiao Man, without hesitation talk about them in reverse, Lian Fang Zhou couldnt help but secretly laugh, and suddenly felt that it isnt bad to take in this Third Aunt. At least from now on, theres someone to deal with the detestable Uncle and Aunt.

Shes the lower generation, so when doing these kind of things a lot isnt good, even if in reason, but Third Aunt isnt the same!

Originally hearing her husband say it like this, her heart was also full of joy, secretly saying that husband can really talk. Who knew her happiness has yet to warm up, it was fiercely smashed. Mrs Qiao felt a mix of anger and embarra.s.sment, sharply yelling Really kindness come to no good. In this age, being a good person is hard! At the start, we want to explain it clearly, but you come up crying and throwing a tantrum without stop, how could we open our mouth? Good words were exhausted by you! Your kind of woman, with your man dead and not being well-behaved and stay at your in-laws house, still have the face to yell at people? Cant believe you can open your mouth! Its you whos the b.i.t.c.h, a b.i.t.c.h who cant behave!

Hussy, Ill rip your mouth! Lian Xiao Man was enraged, eyes go red as she glared at Mrs Qiao and rushed over again to go all out on her.

Mrs Qiaos eyes also go red, swore: b.i.t.c.h!

The two struggled as they want to break away and hold the other to give blows. Everyone hurried to pull and numerous mouth tried to persuade. Lian Fang Zhou frowned, looking at Lian Xiao Man, that face full of grief and about to cry but unwaveringly endured, she couldnt help but start to feel some pity and loathe Mrs Qiao even more.

As the saying goes, when insulting, dont disclose peoples shortcoming. Lian Xiao Man is a widow, this ident.i.ty can easily cause trouble. In this era, widow causing trouble where she cant explain even with a hundred mouth can cause death. Once Mrs Qiao opened her mouth it arrived, such vicious motive.

Aunt! Third Aunt! Lian Fang Zhou suddenly loudly screamed. This sudden melodious scream startled everyone, including the red eyes Lian Xiao Man and Mrs. Ma (typo by author-should be Qiao), who were like c.o.c.k fighting.

Suddenly it was silent, so quiet you can hear a pin drop, not even one sound was made.

30. Ugly words said beforehand

Because everyone never thought Lian Fang Zhou, a skinny weak little girl would have such courage and charisma, for a moment everyone couldnt react.

Aunt (Mrs Qiao), Third Aunt (Xiao Man), dont argue, if you keep arguing like this until sunrise, there wont be any good result, besides the throat being sore and hoa.r.s.e. Were all one family, what is the point! Third Aunt, lets go!

Lian Fang Zhou deeply breathed in and calmly spoke.

Need you Mrs Qiao rolled her eyes at Lian Fang Zhou, in midst of saying 'Need you to so nosy," Lian Li glared at her, so she suddenly regained her wits, hurriedly shut up and changed to a heavy harrumph. Lian Xiao Man also gave a deadly look at her, quiet cold laugh that was a really cold laugh, it made peoples body feel a slight shiver.

What Fang Zhou said is right, everyone disperse now! Lian Li loudly called out.

Lian Fang Zhou silently curled her lips in disdain; some people really dont know how thick their skin is (means shameless), he still have the guts to open his mouth. At this time, everyone regained their wits, and one after another start discussing. However the content of discussion changed: Lian Familys girl, 'how great she is!'. One after another, everyone dispersed.

Mrs Qiao was angered with Lian Fang Zhou She is set on believing that Lian Fang Zhou purposely waited until she (Mrs Qiao), her husband (Lian Li) and Lian Xiao Man fight til no reconciliation point can happen and then came over, purposely letting them make a fool of themselves and show her goodness.

In addition to Lian Fang Zhous loud shout from a moment ago, clearly that shout included her, and a strange coincidence, she actually listened to her shout and stopped arguing with Lian Xiao Man, doesnt this mean she, Mrs Qiao listens to Lian Fang Zhous words? How could that do!

Mrs Qiao directed her anger on Lian Fang Zhou (kind of like holding hatred but switch with rage).

She knows Lian Xiao Man's nature very well, so she purposely said this words loudly Niece Fang Zhou, you siblings have had no family head for so long, now you happen to bring back your Third Aunt, so the family finance or whatever problems crop up, you have an elder to make decisions! Or else it wont be right!

Lian Fang Zhou was originally pondering on how to clearly state that Third Aunt is a guest in front of everyone, otherwise in future Lian Xiao Man may possibly do something where it isnt right for her to talk. Hearing Mrs Qiaos words meet her desire.

Lian Fang Zhou politely said in a loud voice: Aunt, those words arent reasonable! How could you corrupt Third Aunts reputation? Third Aunt has Third Aunts family, to run over to the maternal family to become the family's decision maker? What are you making people think of her? How would they see Lian Family? Does that mean in future after Lian familys daughter marry out, they then run back to the maternal home to become the family head? What would that become! Third Aunt is an understanding person and absolutely wont be muddled-head like you.

Aunt Zhang has already came forward to help Lian Fang Zhou, to support Lian Xiao Man, hearing these words she also nodded her head and said:What Fang Zhou said is reasonable! There has never been such married daughter not watching their reputations matter! Mrs (or sister-in-law) if you prefer Qiao shouldnt say that!

Everyone also nodded, agreed, and said Mrs Qiao is in the wrong.

Especially those women with sister-in-laws (husbands sister) in the family; if in the future each family's sister-in-law start having this intention, for no reason to run over the maternal family to boss around, who would be able to put up with it?

Mrs Qiao just sneered, but didnt answer. She knows she doesnt need to say anything because she know Lian Xiao Mans nature very clearly!

Lian Xiao Man heard Mrs Qiaos word and her heart was moved: Even in her dreams she want to become the family head once. Unfortunately, her man died, this life she, the daughter-in-law cant become an experienced old woman (experience the hardship of running the household)! Of course no longer having the chance of becoming the family head. Isnt there a good opportunity in front of eyes now? Because of Lian Fang Zhous words, it created a slight feeling of displeasure in her heart.

She didnt let it go into her heart (means didnt take it seriously), because she didnt place any importance on the four siblings. In her opinion, since Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze obediently took the initiative to run over to collect her, then in future, whatever she said, would they disobey?

Lian Xiao Man faced the ground and spat again, coldly harrumphed: Shes just wants to drive a wedge between us. Especially because her intention are up to no good! Lets go!

Alright! Lian Fang Zhou nodded her head. The two siblings, Lian Xiao Man and Aunt Zhang left together. Anyway what she wanted to say is already said. If this Third Aunt really wants to be a troublemaking moth, then dont blame her for changing face and not recognise her (This phrase means forget all previous interaction and give no respect or consideration)

Once entered the yard, Third Aunt saw the repaired like new house, tidied up neatly yard and her eyes lit up, happily commented: Not bad, not bad. This house really isnt bad!

Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze stared at each other, Lian Zes brow slightly tighten, Lian Fang Zhou signalled him not be impatient. Lain Ze didnt say anything and just cast down his eyes.

I wont go in, still have stuff to do when I go back! Aunt Zhang saw the situation and mentally sighed. This Lian Xiao Man really is scars heal, forget the pain type. Not a single thanks was said and once entered, she stared at the house. Pitiful siblings, why have such a bitter life!

However in other difficulties, Aunt Zhang could help out, but this is Lian Familys family matter. So even if Aunt Zhang have the heart to, she could only stand by and do nothing. No matter what era, sticking into other peoples family is a taboo.

Aunt Zhang, take care! Lian Fang Zhou gratefully smiled toward Aunt Zhang, then toward Lian Xiao Man, she politely said: Third Aunt, can you help send off Aunt Zhang!

Aunt Zhang originally wanted to say No need, but saw Lian Fang Zhou giving her the eye, then held her tongue. Lian Xiao Mans brows was slightly wrinkled, obviously showing a not very willing expression. Lian Fang Zhou, a younger generation actually ordered her, this made her extremely uncomfortable.

However she is an elder, and Aunt Zhang did help out today. She, the elder need to give her thanks to her, personally sending her is fitting right? Lian Fang Zhou and her siblings are all kids, letting them go forward is a bit lacking in manner.

Thinking like this, did Lian Xiao Man felt somewhat better, smiled as she went to the yard as she send off Aunt Zhang as she was told to. But her heart still felt a bit unhappy. This Aunt Zhang, really dont know where her chatter come from, talked with her for a good while before she actually left. Only then did Lian Xiao Man let out a breathe, hurriedly turned around to go in.

When she returned to room, dinner were already on the table. When saying dinner, it was actually just a pot of pumpkin rice. Lian Che saw that her sister and brother havent returned after so long and the sky has nearly darkened, then decided to wash the pumpkin Lian Fang Zhou brought back and put in the rice to cook. At this time it was already cooked.

Third Aunt, please come have dinner! Lian Fang Zhou saw her (Xiao Man) entering and smiled. Lian Fang Zhous tone was very polite. But because it was too polite, Lian Xiao Man felt unhappy instead, she then grinned: Hey, were all one family, why be polite! In future, no need to treat each other as strangers!

Lian Fang Zhou glanced at her, still very polite as she gave a slight smile: This isnt the problem of treating as stranger or not. Even though we are one family but you are Aunt (GuNaiNai- this aunt means married daughter). Aunt still counts as a guest. Lian Xiao Man saw herself, neither soft or hard attempts meet Lian Fang Zhous two nails. She felt even more displeased in her heart, however she knew she obviously cant take advantage of Lian Fang Zhou by speech. So she smiled and no longer spoke as she went forward.

Seeing the table of five bowls of pumpkin rice, Lian Xiao Man frowned and said: Aiya, how could it do just eating these? You are all in your growing period, should be eating more good thing! Fang Zhou, go to kitchen again and make another two dishes, Ah Ze you help with the fire!"

31. 

After Lian Ze hearing what Lian Xiao Man said, he couldn't help agree. And said to Lian Fang Zhou: "Sister, how about letting Third Aunt come with us? It's better to have her with us."

The way Lian Ze think is simple. Since he and Sister are still young and it's the first time heading to town, what could be done when they get tricked? Third Aunt is an adult and when the other party sees an adult is present, they might reconsider, right?

The more important thing is, he suddenly finds out that Third Aunt isn't as loathsome as before. However, he still doesn't like her.

"That's right! What Ah Ze said is right! With me, you won't be on the losing end!" Lian Xiao Man was delighted. She slapped her thigh and not allowing any more room for discussion, said: "It's decided like this. Now let's sleep earlier, so we can go earlier tomorrow."

Without any choice, Lian Fang Zhou nodded: "Alright then. However, Third Aunt, I must say this beforehand. In front of others, you cannot interrupt me when I'm talking. Wait until I finish, then you can speak. Also not allowed to undermine me and the family head is still me!"

"I know, I know! Why would I undermine you? We're all one family..." Third Aunt chattered as she returns to her room.

The next day, early in the morning, the three of them left. Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che also woke up to send them off. Despite being half awake, Lian Fang Qing didn't forget to remind Sister and Brother to bring back yummy snacks.

Yesterday, Uncle w.a.n.g gave them some simple pointers on driving the donkey cart. The donkey was also docile. So Lian Fang Zhou sat at the front driving the cart and Lian Ze and Third Aunt sat at the back.

Third Aunt talked non-stop during the whole journey. She excitedly jibbered jabber, while Lian Ze answered occasionally. Lian Fang Zhou also found her to be too noisy, so might as well concentrate on driving and pretend to not hear anything--- isn't it just going to town? Look how excited she is!

Everything went very smoothly. With just the two big and perfect Reishi Mushroom, they earned ten silver liang. But Third Aunt and Lian Ze don't know about this matter. Lian Fang Zhou had hidden it in a cloth when carrying it and then found some excuse to go to the medicinal shop to sell it.

She needed to leave some money for emergencies. It's fine with Lian Ze, but definitely can't let Third Aunt know.

Three full bags and a half of mushrooms were sold to a restaurant for nearly four liang. Third Aunt was ecstatic as if that money were hers. Her face was smiling like a blooming flower. While her hands were rubbing non-stop and she laughed happily: "Can't believe this! Really can't believe this!"

Although Lian Ze's reaction wasn't as exaggerated as Third Aunt, he was also extremely overjoyed. Eyes lighting up as he smiled at Lian Fang Zhou.

"Fang Zhou, it's better to let me hold the money, in case you lose it!" Third Aunt's heart was itching as she couldn't suppress saying.

It'll be strange if Lian Fang Zhou agree. So with an indifference smile, she said: "No need to trouble Third Aunt. It'll be more convenient for me to hold it, as there are lots of things I need to buy in a while."

Third Aunt still had something to say, but Lian Ze spoke out first: "Third Aunt, Sister, we should quickly go buy things, that way we return earlier! The winter sun sets earlier and it'll be cold on the way back if we're late."

"Indeed, we better hurry then!" Lian Fang Zhou grinned.

Without any choice, Third Aunt could only let it go.

The three of them soon bought everything like bolts of cloth, needles, threads, rugs, blankets, quilts, seasonings, flour as well as other small bits and pieces.

Lian Fang Zhou also went to few blacksmiths to look around the cost of making farming tools. It's about time to change the farm tools at home. She also checked out the prices of the Four Treasures of Study [1]. Afterwards, she enquired about the prices of the vegetables, fruits, and meats in the market-- things that she didn't know but needed to know.

When pa.s.sing by the makeup and hair accessories stall, she bought 2 hair scarves and 3 silky velvet flower pins. The hair scarves are for herself, while one of the flower pins are for Lian Fang Qing and other two are for Mrs. Zhao and Li Juan.

But Third Aunt thought it was for her and the Lian sisters, so her heart was bursting with delight. Even put out her hand and said: "I keep my own one, so it doesn't get ruined."

Lian Fang Zhou stared blankly: Aren't widows not allowed to wear red and green? And also bright flower hair accessories?

And also, when did I ever say there's her share? And already so old...

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou staring at her blankly, Third Aunt look at the flower and started laughing. And said: "Look at you. I'm already at this age and you bought such bright color. How could I wear it! I'll change it to something simple!"

After saying that, she started to look at the stall and selected a willow green one. She placed it on her hair bun to size it up. Then asked the stall owner does it look good?

Of course, he would grin and say it look good.

Third Aunt then turned toward Lian Fang Zhou: "I'll take this one then! So return that one!"

Lian Fang Zhou smiled but did return the one in her hand. And also didn't say another word to Third Aunt. Just pay for another one and left.

However Third Aunt was immersed in her inner happiness, so she didn't notice.

"Let's eat something now. In a while, we're going back!" Lian Fang Zhou said after seeing a kinda of clean noodle shop by the roadside.

"Alright, alright! I'm already starving!" said Third Aunt. She entered the shop first.

"Sister, actually we could just buy few mantou nearby. We each get a bowl of soup is enough..." Lian Ze spoke out.

Such understanding words made people heartache. Lian Fang Zhou gave a slight smile. As she pulled Lian Ze in, she said: "Having one bowl of noodle doesn't cost much, Sister know what to do!"

The siblings just sat down, when Third Aunt said: "I just ordered a braised pork noodle. What do you guys want?"

Lian Ze wanted to get a vegetarian noodle but Lian Fang Zhou stopped him and ordered two bowls of braised pork noodle as well.

Today was Market day, so the streets were crowded and very chaotic. This little shop was also packed with people, which comes with problems. It was really lively.

A horse carriage just pa.s.sed by the entrance. But because there were so many people, the horse carriage moved really slow. The driver would keep yelling out "Make way! Please make way!" His tone was very polite, not one bit irritated or overbearing. So Lian Fang Zhou couldn't help but watch some more.

Right about then, the waiter brought over the noodles. He saw the situation and grinned: "That's Grand Tutor Ding Family carriage. Have to say that Grand Tutor Ding is really a good person. He was the king's teacher but doesn't put on air. Also the manor's servants are very polite, never domineering.

"Grand Tutor Ding?" Lian Fang Zhou grinned: "Our County Yu actually produced such a big official!"

"That's right!" the waiter nodded and continued: " Sadly, he's retired!"

Then he hurried back to work.

Third Aunt stretched her head toward the horse carriage to catch a look. But immediately took back her gaze with disinterest, mouth twitching: "Afraid there's not much to that tutor's home. Their horse looks so old. It's worst than our villager Li Yuan's maternal family one! What are you looking at brat? Hurry out eat or else it'll be cold!"

Seeing Lian Ze's eyes fixed on the outside, Third Aunt grinned as she patted his shoulder.

"I wasn't looking..." Lian Ze took back his gaze and continued eating.

Lian Fang Zhou followed his line of gaze and paused. Lian Ze certainly wasn't looking at Grand Tutor Ding's family carriage, but instead a man sitting at an angle on the opposite street.

[1] writing brush, an ink stick, an ink stone and paper.

32. 

The guy had a messy hair; his beard which was pulling dregs hid half his face; even the slate gray clothes, and puttee on him were old and dirty. At this moment sitting near the wall with both hands were hugging his knee. Those eyes fixated on the nearby bun vendor.

His whole body was worn-down and sullen grey; only the pair eyes were especially bright. Although at this moment, he appears to look foolish, however, those eyes make people believe that those are a pair of shining eyes, when it moves.

Lian Fang Zhou glance over at Lian Ze as she took back her gaze.

It happened in a flash, but Lian Ze knows his sister understand what's on his mind. So he couldn't help and said: "I just felt he's really pitiful."

It was certainly pitiful. Lian Fang Zhou took out several copper coins and gave him: "Go buy some mantou for him!"

"Yes!" Lian Ze's eyes brightened with unexpected joy, then grab the coins and headed out.

Third Aunt, startled, cried out to him. Rushed to look at him, just to see him give the mantou, he just bought, to the guy. She let out some tsk, full of detest, said: "You two siblings really know how to live. Why bother with a beggar who got nothing to do with you? Is money that easy to earn? Don't your heart hurt when it's spent?"

Lian Fang Zhou just indifferently smiled: "It's just a few copper. I saw that he is starving and that I have the power to do some good."

Third Aunt kept on whispering another sentence: "There so many like him in the world, can you help all of them? What if one day, you got nothing to eat, who would help..."

Lian Fang Zhou left her be and continued to eat.

Not long, Lian Ze returned, Third Aunt also scold him a few sentence.

Lian Ze also ignored her and lowered his head, to focus on his noodles.

Third Aunt saw there's no point, also started eating.

Once the three of them finished, they paid the bill and left.

Third Aunt didn't forget to smack her lips as she reminiscing the taste and endless yearning as she sighed: "That noodle was really fragrant and delicious. It would be wonderful if I could have it every day! Life would be worth living!"

Lian Fang Zhou couldn't help chuckle. Isn't it just a bowl of noodle, no need to say 'life would be worth living'. She, Lian Fang Zhou believe she won't fall to that low.

Third Aunt thought she was laughing at her wishful thinking, so rolled her eyes: "What are you laughing at? I know it isn't possible, can't I just talk about it!"

"Nothing like that!" Lian Fang Zhou grinned: "I didn't mean it like that, what I mean is Third Aunt, your standard of need is very easily satisfied!"

"Hmph, you are laughing at me!" Third Aunt rolled her eyes at her, taking it as Lian Fang Zhou saying the opposite.

Now the three of them are full, they exited the town to return home.

Third Aunt started to yawn since she woke up so early and also rush around half the day. Now that she is full and out of town, exhaustion set in. So she hid in the cart to sleep.

Lian Ze was also a bit tired. But he was also afraid that Lian Fang Zhou was also tired, so he motivates himself to chat with her.

The siblings weren't loud, and none of Third Aunt's muttering in their ears, so soon the mood was light.

Lian Fang Zhou suddenly cried out 'YA', and said: "I forgot to ask around the price of charcoal. If it was cheap, I should buy it now or else later it gets cold and the price increase."

"Forget about it Sis," Lian Ze was somewhat surprised when she said that. "We don't have the wealth for such things. Making fire with firewood is fine. We can't afford charcoal! Only the rich could afford to use those things. Wait until tomorrow, when we gather more mushrooms, we can save more money. It's good enough if we can eat well and bundle up during winter."

Compare to unpractical charcoal, Lian Ze is more interested in gathering mushroom. Especially when hearing from Lian Fang Zhou, that when the weather gets colder, there'll be no more mushrooms to pick, he became more anxious and energetic.

Lian Fang Zhou overlooked the matter of mushroom, instead enquiringly asked: "Charcoals are really expensive!"

"Ain't that right!" Lian Ze replied: "Not many people understand how to make charcoal, so how could it not be expensive!"

Lian Fang Zhou's heart was moved and started thinking. If this is also another path to fortune, she could give it a try. Just with her and Lian Ze wouldn't do. Need to find a partner. Hmm, of course, Uncle Li and Aunt Zhang are the most suitable...

Once she made her decision, Lian Fang Zhou felt her blood pumping. She planned to go to Uncle Li and Aunt Zhang's place to discuss.

The siblings talked as they drove the donkey cart. When Lian Fang Zhou unintentionally looked up, she saw that out of nowhere, five-six rascal-like youth appeared in front of them. Those hooligans were blocking the road. Numerous pairs of shifty eyes were laughing as they watch them.

Lian Fang Zhou heart shook and suddenly pulled on the reins. She unblinkingly glared at them.
They come across robbery!

Internally she felt really anxious. Eyes scanned around. This region was completely remote, with green hills on both sides and not a single person around....

At this moment, she immediately felt despair and thought: why did we happen to meet with this situation?

"Who, who are you guys!" Lian Ze also saw them, his face changed as he called out in shock.
"HAHAHAHA!" those hooligans immediately burst out laughing, sounded incomparably wild and shameless.

One of them pointed at the stuff behind them, full of delight as he shouted: "Leave everything including the donkey cart and money behind, then you three can scram!"

"No way!" Lian Ze said without a single thought. The cart was borrowed, the things were bought with hard earned money, so how can he agree to leave them behind.

"Hmph!" That person coldly sneered, not putting any importance on Lian Ze and Lian Fang Zhou, who were still kids, or Lian Xiao Man.

Lian Fang Zhou bitterly cried inside, she didn't know how these guys set their eyes on them! How much could they have?

What she didn't know was, when she went to the medicinal shop and got ten silver liang for the Reishi Mushroom has fallen into their eyes. Then later, they kept on following them.

Ten silver, donkey, cart and the money from selling mushroom was enough to move their heart.

Even though there are lots of rich people on the street, but when wanting to take action, they need to look at the target's situation.

Without a doubt, Lian Fang Zhou's group was the perfect target to take action on.
"Real men waste no time chattering with you! Since you refuse the toast, then drink this penalty! 

Brothers advance, throw them off the cart!" The leader laughed.

It would be troublesome if someone come across after all this was the main road.
He said it like there's not much to it. As if this matter is very easy to do.

Few hooligan snicker as they complied, delightfully laughing as they walked toward the siblings.

And at this time, Third Aunt is still sleeping sweetly and also gave a slight snore. Lian Fang Zhou didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she heard it.

"Sister, what to do! What do we do!" Lian Ze firmly clenched his fists, slightly quivering. Even veins were popping on the back of his hands.

He has never hated himself as much as now, hated that he couldn't do anything.

Lian Fang Zhou bit her lips, her whole heart was so worried that it went 'thump thump'.

What to do? What could be done?

Right now the only way was to lose fortune to get rid of calamity.

"Give it to them!" when Lian Fang Zhou said this, her heart ached so much and was also boiling with rage.

Their fruit of labor after working hard for so many days and the happiness and expectation that was acc.u.mulated bit by bit, was now destroyed in a blink of an eye.

She was full of resentment.

"NO! I--"

"Ah Ze!" Lian Fang Zhou held onto the impulsive Lian Ze who wanted to rush forward and fight them to death, unmovingly said: "There's still a mountain. So there's no worry of having no firewood. So even if you aren't willing, then what? Even if you fight with your life, it still won't change the result. It'll just leave you a body of injuries and then we'll have to waste money to treat you."  

33. 

  Lian Fang Zhou's words finally made Lian Ze lose his spirit, what sister said was right, can only comply.

He threw a glance full of hatred at them, mentally vowed: one day, I'll have them return everything back.

"Let's get off!" Lian Fang Zhou nodded her head toward him.

The siblings were just getting off the cart with their heart bleeding when they heard a slightly hoa.r.s.e voice calmly say: "Halt."

Not only the siblings, even the hooligans looked over at the sound.

"It's him!" Lian Ze was shocked, Lian Fang Zhou also saw that they stared at each other in surprise.

That person was the guy whom Lian Ze gave a mantou to.

"Hahahaha! Where did this beggar come from? This master wants you to scram away!"

"Stinky beggar, find life too long?!"

Seeing clearly who that person was, the few thugs started arrogantly jeer.

That person was still standing there, indifferently looking at them, placid expression.

His calmness infuriated some of the thugs: being taken lightly by a beggar, how can they continue to live from now on?

"Really unlucky! Dare to stick into our business, brothers, teach that beggar who doesn't know what death is." Embarra.s.sment becoming anger, the leader spat on the ground. He waved his arm as he rolled up his sleeves, leading everyone to venomously rush toward them.

Lian Ze tightly closed his eyes, Lian Fang Zhou's heart thumped.

When she regained her wits, she was in midst of yelling 'It got nothing to do with him', it was already too late.

Those thugs were already yelling out as they rush to hit, Lian Fang Zhou couldn't help subconsciously move her eyes away.

Tragic cries continuously reach into ears. It wasn't one person but a good few people.

She and Lian Ze quickly looked over and what they saw made them overjoyed. The thugs had fallen onto the floor or clutching their limbs or head.Grimacing in pain as they scream endlessly. 

And that man was still standing there firmly with his face still remaining calm.

"What's going on! What's going on! Where are we? Ah!" Third Aunt just rubbed her eyes and sat up. When seeing the scene before her, she cried out in shock.

"Leave!" that person said in a calm voice.

That bunch of thugs dares not have any more evil thoughts. They endured the pain as they hurriedly picked themselves up and scrammed away with bit crawl. In a blink of the eyes, they were no longer in sight.

"This... what has happened?" Third Aunt spoke out some prayers. She wanted to stand up but her legs were soft, so she collapsed into sitting.

"He saved us! Sister, he saved us!" Lian Ze's eyes were shining with ecstasy, he happily called out to that man as he speeded over. Lian Ze could not help but take his arm and shook it in excitement: "You are amazing! You drove them away!"

"Many thanks to you...Sir, for saving us!" Lian Fang Zhou also came over. She smiled as she spoke to him.

Originally she wanted to say 'Many thanks, hero' But seeing the person's messy hair and beard, and his whole body was dirty, she thought 'can he be called hero'. Not bothering if this place has the same meaning, but she felt embarra.s.sed saying it out loud.

The man grinned. When he smiles, his eyes light up bright, and his whole vibe seems to immediately change.

"I saw them sneakily follow you halfway, then took a shortcut to ambush---" He said with a smile. Once he finished, his face suddenly faces changed and fainted on the ground.

"What's wrong! Hey, wake up, wake up!" Lian Ze anxiously cried, he hurriedly squat down and shook him.

Lian Fang Zhou was also startled."Sister, he's injured! He's bleeding! It must be those guys just now!" Lian Ze exclaimed.

Lian Fang Zhou quickly look over, and saw fresh blood oozing out of the man's arm, she then shouted: "Quickly bandage him. We got to stop the bleeding first, then talk!"

"Oh," Lian Ze responded and rushed to carefully help that man lay on the floor. He tore a piece off his clothes, then bandage him up.

"Fang Zhou, Fang Zhou!" Lian Xiao Man finally clumsily stood up, jumped off the donkey cart and stumbled over. She pulled Lian Fang Zhou further away and with a glare, she reprimanded: "You're a girl, stay further away from this beggar! Do you still want to get married?! "

"Third Aunt, don't call him beggar this beggar that. Truthfully, if he hasn't saved us just now, we would have become beggars!" Lian Fang Zhou frowned.

"What?" Third Aunt froze.

Lian Fang Zhou looked at her and said: "Just now, those few people were robbing us of our things, even the donkey too! If they really s.n.a.t.c.h away everything, we may have become beggars--- the poor!"

"Such, such matter happened?!" Third Aunt recalled back the scene she had seen when she just woke up. She couldn't help but let out a breath of relief and patted her chest. With lingering fear, Third Aunt said: "Oh, and I was sleeping like a dead log. It so fortunate, so lucky!"

"..." Lian Fang Zhou was speechless, rolled her eyes and removed her(Xiao Man) hand to move toward Lian Ze to ask: "Are there any other injured? Is it serious?"

After Lian Ze helped bandage him up, he had already checked him again. He replied: "Some seems like traces of old wounds. But it isn't serious."

Lian Fang Zhou nodded her head as her heart settled a bit. She mentally thought what should she do?

Lian Ze has already spoken out at the side: "Sister, he's injured from saving us, so could we take him back home?"

In front there's no village, nor were there shops behind. Not to mention the fact that man was injured unconscious. And at the moment, can only do that!

Not waiting for Lian Fang Zhou to give a nod, Third Aunt has already shaking her head and waving her hands: "No way! How can you bring back a beg- stranger home? How would others see us? Fang Zhou, you are a girl!"

Lian Fang Zhou shot back: "Don't we have you? Who can say what? If we throw our savior to one side, ignoring his life or death. Then how will we look? Third Aunt, come help out!"

Third Aunt frowned in disgust: "This dirty ..."

Now Lian Fang Zhou is starting to get a bit angry, so with a darkened face, she said: "You're not willing to help, then forget it. Ah Ze and I don't have so much strength, so can only take it slow. If by chance the thugs return - "

"Coming, coming!" Not waiting for Lian Fang Zhou to finish the sentence, Third Aunt quickly came over.

Lian Ze couldn't help but smile.

This man's physique was tall and on top of that, he's unconscious, his body heavily sunk straight down. It took the three of them great effort before they could get him into the car.

Third Aunt naturally frowns hard, while kept on nagging and nagging. Not stopping until she got Lian Fang Zhou to promise "wait for him to wake up and then let him scram!"

But Lian Fang Zhou didn't say anything, only pretend to not hear it.

Lian Fang Zhou hurriedly drove the cart. Even when they reach home, that man still did not wake up.

The three of them had no choice but to get him off the cart and place him in Lian Ze's and Lian Che's room.

When Lian Che and Lian Fang Qing saw it, they were shocked at first. But hearing this man saved their sister and brother, both of them were no longer afraid. They also helped draw water and grab a towel.

This person was a man, so it was inconvenient for Lian sister and Third Aunt to stay by his side, so they went out to bring in the stuff they bought. Afterward, Lian Fang Zhou drove the cart back to Uncle w.a.n.g to return it. And on the way, she brought a package of sesame candy for Uncle w.a.n.g's granddaughter.

Until it was time to light an oil lamp, the man finally woke up.

At that time, Lian siblings and Third Aunt were preparing to eat. The man got out of bed and followed the light. Lian Fang Zhou looked up and saw him. She put down the chopsticks and got up to go over. Kindly smiled and asked: "You woke up? Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere? Is the wound still hurting?"

The man was stunned for a moment, then hurriedly said, "I ... where am I? Did you save me?"

34. 

"That's right. Luckily we had this big brother today!" Lian Ze followed up.

Lian Fang Qing tilted her head and blinked as she asked: "From what Second Brother said, you beat six bully away all by yourself. Is that true?"

Lian Che remained silent but also tilted his head in curiosity as he sized him up.

Third Aunt jumped up and came over: "Since you can stand up, it means you're okay right?"

Third Aunt, with eyes glowing, stared hard at him. She stretched out her neck, with an expression saying ' I'll eat you if you don't answer'.

Startled, he opened his mouth and started stuttering. Under Third Aunt's eyes, he couldn't help but nod: " I'm al-already fine!"

"Then that's perfect!" Third Aunt clapped her hands and continued: "You saved us and we saved you.

Now we're equal right? We won't make it difficult for you, now that it's already dark. You can leave tomorrow morning then."

Third Aunt spoke out with great generosity.

"Oh! I'm very grateful to you-"

He hasn't finished yet when Lian Ze rushed to speak out: "This brother, there's no need to be polite. Even though you woke up, you're still injured and not convenient to move around. How about staying a few more days?"

Lian Ze looked over at Lian Fang Zhou with a pleading expression as he spoke: "Sister, he got hurt because of us. We can't act so inhumane!"

Lian Ze wasn't usually like this, so Lian Fang Zhou felt that it was slightly strange. But it was because he doesn't often ask for anything from Lian Fang Zhou, she couldn't refuse when she saw those eager eyes. So she nodded: "You're right!"

She smiled the man, warmly spoke: "It's no problem to stay few more days at our place!"

"AH! I must say you guys---" Third Aunt unhappily cried out.

But she had yet to finish when Lian Fang Zhou lightly cleared her throat. Indifferently said: "Third Aunt do you need Ah Ze and I to send you back tomorrow?"

Immediately, Third Aunt shut up. She lightly harrumphed: "Then it's fine to let him stay a few days. Ah, I was thinking of what's best for you!"

And in a whisper, she muttered: "Know only how to threaten people with that. What's the point..."

Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze pretended not to hear anything.

Full of joy, Lian Ze pulled the man to sit with enthusiasm, then said: "I'll get the bowls!" And went to the kitchen.

Originally the rice was just enough. But now there's one more person joining, it became insufficient.
Lian Ze pushed his bowl toward the man: "Big Brother has this!"

Seeing this, Lian Fang Zhou gave half of her to Lian Ze. Grinned: "Alright, you guys eat first! If there's not enough, just wait a bit. I'm going to make some noodle!"

"Sis, I'll help with the fire!" Lian Che could see that the strange guest is very important to Second Brother, so he voluntarily put down his chopsticks and went to help with the stove.

"Serve you right!" Third Aunt muttered quietly. She picked some stir-fry pepper and meat for Lian Fang Qing: "Aren't you guys hungry? Well, I'm starving, so let's eat first!"

Tonight was stir-fry pepper and meat and fried cabbage. Good dishes like these were rare.
Lian Ze saw the man's eye lit up. Obviously, he was also hungry. After hesitating for a moment, he said: "Let's eat first!"

"Leave some for Sister and Third Brother!" Lian Fang Qing spoke out and grabbed the chopsticks to create a dividing line on the plate. So the few of them only ate one side.

Lian Fang Zhou recalled that man's condition in the day then made a large portion of noodles. She diced the chili pepper and garlic, slice three to four pieces of meat fat and heat them into the oil. She planned to infuse some chili oil on top.

Lian Che sat on a stool in front of the stove opening, watching the fire. The crackling fire shone on his face, both of hands cupping his cheeks and big eyes blinking at Lian Fang Zhou. Asking,"Sister, did that man really save you? Is he that powerful?"

Lian Che felt that it was unbelievable. Just by judging by his appearance, it didn't look like it.
"Mmhmm," Lian Fang Zhou nodded with a smile. As she chopped the vegetable, she calmly said: "If it wasn't for him, we would be in deep trouble today. All of our stuff and money would have been robbed. And when we come back, we got to pay back Uncle's w.a.n.g's donkey and cart!"

"AH!" Hearing this, Lian Che was a bit afraid. Then grinned: "Thankfully meet with a good samaritan! Third Aunt is too much, to want to drive him out. Hm, it's better if he keeps on staying here. No one will bully us anymore!"

What? Lian Fang Zhou was immediately stunned. This kid really dare say it. And look at that hopeful look.

Lian Fang Zhou laugh with a closed mouth. Shaking her head, not taking his words seriously. Feeling the firelight has dimmed a bit, she continued: "Make the fire stronger."

"OK," Lian Che answered. He bent down to add in some firewood into the stove and not another word was said.

Making noodles didn't need much to do, so soon Lian Fang Zhou brought out an enormous bowl of soup noodle in. The top was soaked with greasy chili and garlic sauce. Hot steam carrying along fragrant smell filled everyone's nose.

Everyone's eyes couldn't help light up. It's known that with this household's current situation, it's hard to have even noodle once a year. Especially with meat taste, those are really rare!

"Smell so good!" Lian Fang Qing took a deep breathe in.

Originally Third Aunt was already full, but seeing the large bowl of noodles and the smelling fragrant, her stomach immediately became hungry again. So she spoke out: "How could he finish that much? Here, give me a bowl!"

"Sister and Third Brother haven't eaten yet!" Lian Fang Qing's lips twitched.

Even though Lian Fang Zhou don't like Third Aunt acting like this, but she felt she was pitiful. However, she can't spoil her, or else she'll have gained an inch, want a foot behavior.

Lian Fang Zhou could only pretend to not hear her, smiling: " I purposely made a lot, so everyone can have some! Tomorrow, we'll make noodles for dinner, alright?"

"Alright! Alright!" Lian Fang Qing clapped as she rejoiced.

Third Aunt also laughed in delight: "Then make some more tomorrow!"

Lian Fang Zhou used the serving chopsticks to fill each person half a bowl. What's left was pushed to that man's front. With a light smile, she said: "Here, eat it while it's hot!"

He paused at first, then received it a sheepish smile. He cupped his fist: "Many thanks, Miss!"Then pulled the large bowl to his front and gracefully started eating.

"Your welcome!" Lian Fang Zhou light smiled. This guy is really interesting.

Even though he is starving, he eats as if he wasn't desperate. Not only is it not urgent, it is also pleasing to the eyes.

That's right, pleasing to the eyes.

It's neither elegant nor rough. Even if he is wearing tattered old clothes, the way he moves is still -- pleasing to the eyes. Giving people a comfortable feeling.

Lian Fang Zhou became dazed from looking, internally thinking: this man, I'm afraid he's not an ordinary person. Don't know if it because he meets with difficulties. And also with that kind of skill, definitely not an ordinary person.

"Ke! Keke!" Third Aunt started coughing hard. Lian Fang Zhou turned to look at her and saw a pair of eyes pointedly stared at her.

At first, she paused, then immediately recalled how she was staring at that man until she became dazed fell into Third Aunt's eyes. And she was misunderstood.

Lian Fang Zhou's face became hot and immediately felt embarra.s.sed.

35. 

She didn't want Third Aunt to see her embarra.s.sment, so she purposely looked over at Third Aunt calmly with a tranquil smile. Lian Fang Zhou admired herself for being able to smile without a trace of guilt! Afterwards, she stopped her gaze, picked up her chopsticks and calmly ate.

Her method had really worked. Third Aunt paused and blinked. She felt a bit suspicious that there was something wrong with her eyes a moment ago.

"Third Aunt, did you catch a chill?" Lian Fang Qing couldn't help but asked.

Hearing this, both Lian Ze and Lian Che looked at Third Aunt, with a hint of care in their eyes.

Lian Fang Zhou secretly sigh out a breath of relief. Luckily only Third Aunt saw her distraction.

So she became even calmer.

"I haven't. It's just that, I choked a bit!" Third Aunt gave a reluctant smile as she gave an excuse.

"Oh!" Lian Fang Qing replied and dropped the topic, focusing on her bowl as she sipped her soup.

Hearing this, Lian Fang Zhou laughed on the inside.

After dinner like normal routine, Third Aunt tidied up and went to the kitchen to wash dishes. Lian Fang Zhou turned to Lian Ze: "Go find some of our dad's clothes for him to change. Let him wash himself and take off the dirtied clothes!"

And she also turned to grin to the man: "It's old clothes, please don't reject! You have to clean those wounds as you bathe so they will not fester. Tomorrow I'll go to the village and ask for a bit medicinal alcohol from someone. So tonight you'll have to suffer a bit!"

Lian Ze eagerly agreed and went off.

That man shook his head, grinned: "Actually ... these injuries aren't that serious. It'll get better by itself in few days."

Full with shame, he thought: "If it wasn't because I haven't eaten anything recently, I wouldn't be so useless."

His hair has been slightly tidied up, while his beard was still a lot like bird nests. His smiles were showing rows of neat white teeth.

Lian Fang Zhou politely invited him to sit. With a smile, she asked: "Oh yes, I have not asked for your name yet! Where do you live?"

Hearing this, the man couldn't help paused a bit. His expression immediately became low-spirited, and seems to give a low sigh.

Lian Fang Zhou also halted, then smiled again: "If you have some unspeakable difficulties and can't say it, then forget it. It doesn't matter!"

If there's really an unspeakable difficulties, most likely encountered some troublesome matter. Lian Fang Zhou rather not know anything about it. Prevent attracting trouble out of nowhere!

She has three siblings to raise and she must work hard herself to survive in this poor environment. So she doesn't' feel like she got the qualifications to intervene in other people's troubles.

With such good skills, and he still feel it is a troublesome matter, can't imagine what it would be like to Lian family.

"Not like that!" The man quickly denied. He scratched his head, and with an embarra.s.sed look: "Miss, you misunderstood. I don't have any unspeakable difficulties, but actually, I lost my memories!"

"What!" Lian Fang Zhou's eyes widened in amazement: is this the legendary amnesia?

With a wry smile, he said: "When I woke up I was on a riverbank. And unknowingly wandered into Yuhe County. It was like this til I met you today... No matter how much I try, I still can't remember who I am, where I am from, or what has happened to me in the past!"

Lian Fang Zhou suddenly didn't know what to say. In her heart, she couldn't help feel sympathetic toward him.

The man thought for a moment, then gave a faint smile. Feeling somewhat self-deprecating, he said: "I came to Yuhe County with a group of migrants. Maybe - like them, my home was destroyed by floods!"

For a moment, Lian Fang Zhou didn't know what to say. With a laugh, she spoke: "I was in the wrong. I should not have brought it up! Please feel at ease in our home, as you nurse your wounds. No need to overthink!"

The man nodded his head.Understanding what Lian Fang Zhou meant, he immediately said: "After... After two days, I will leave."

Lian Fang Zhou's cheeks heated up and felt a bit embarra.s.sed as he was very tactful and said it so straightforward. She grinned: " I didn't mean it like this, I..."

Suddenly the man looked up and smiled at her, as if he understood even without her speaking out. And also doesn't blame her.

Lian Fang Zhou felt even more terrible. No matter what, he did save the three of them right? Words hinting for him to leave is certainly hurtful.

She felt even more clueless at what to say. Luckily Lian Ze found the clothes and came back. So Lian Fang Zhou rushed Lian Ze to take him to wash himself.

She let out a sigh of relief when she saw them leave.

"Sister, sister!" At this time, Lian Che ran over and said: "Aunt Zhang asked when you will come back? And also told you to visit her house!"

"Oops," Lian Fang Zhou slapped her forehead and spoke with some chagrin: "How could I forget about Aunt Zhang! Silly me! Ah Che, why didn't you remind Sister earlier!"

"I forgot!" Lian Che rubbed his head and stuck his tongue out.

Lian Fang Zhou smiled and told him to go play on his own. She then got up and grabbed two velvet flowers and wrapped them in parchment. Afterward filled a basket half full of the dried mushrooms she had stored for themselves. Then went to the kitchen and cut out about half pound of pork.

These were prepared to gift to Aunt Zhang and the other. The two velvet flower are for Mrs Zhao and Li Juan.

When Lian Fang Zhou was cutting the pork, Third Aunt had just finished washing the dishes. She had yet to leave the kitchen, when she saw her (Fang Zhou) cut the meat. Her eyes were staring straight at her and asked: "What are you doing?"

Lian Fang Zhou glanced at her and indifferently said: "I'm cutting a piece to send over to Aunt Zhang's. Should have send some long ago. Just that when we came back, I was busy and forgot to give it!"

"What!" Third Aunt immediately exclaimed. She felt pained as if the meat that is being cut by Lian Fang Zhou is her own body.

Furiously, she stepped forward, said: "Are you crazy or stupid?! There's not enough to eat at home, and you actually want gift to other people for free!"

Lian Fang Zhou halted the kitchen knife and looked up at her. With some helplessness, she said: "Third Aunt, as a human person, first we must live with our conscience, and secondly, think of the long term! Aunt Zhang and Uncle Li have helped us a lot. When they got something, they are willing to share with us. So there is no reason why we shouldn't share with them! Moreover, the future road is still long. We don't have any grown men supporting our family, so we'll have to trouble them with a lot of matters. Got to show some grat.i.tude or else our conscience won't be a ease? "

Third Aunt knew that she was telling the truth, and didn't argue back for a moment.

However, her heart still ache, so continued: "Even if you want to show grat.i.tude, you don't have to this generous! Do you not feel pain cutting off this piece of pork ah?"

"I don't!" Lian Fang Zhou simply straightforwardly answered her back. She had finished cutting as she talked.

She placed that cut of meat into a bowl and grinned at Third Aunt. "I'll make a trip over now, so I'll have to trouble Third Aunt to store the rest!"

Without waiting for her to continue fussing, she went straight out.

"You -" Third Aunt angrily glared, as she couldn't do anything else.

With a distressed heart, she carefully packed the rest of the meat as she unhappily grumbled: "Acting so generous, she got no sense of living. There is not enough gold mountain for you to spend, prodigal ... ... if I was the head, it certainly would not be like this ... ..."

When Lian Fang Zhou arrived at Aunt Zhang's home, Aunt Zhang's family had already had dinner.

"I came over because I just heard from Che er that Aunt was looking for me! I should have came over early, but I had completely forgotten about it!"

Lian Fang Zhou smiled to Aunt Zhang and Uncle Li. After her greeting, she put down the stuffs in her hands and continued: "Few days back, Ah Ze and I picked these mushrooms. All are good ones, so rest a.s.sured aunt and uncle, you can eat them. Today I cut a piece of meat. Gifting it to aunt to make a scrumptious meal, so aunt please don't disdain that there's so little!"

The mushroom was fine but seeing that the piece of meat was around half a catty, Aunt Zhang, Uncle Li, their son and daughter-in-law were shocked.

Mrs Zhao was so happy that her heart was blooming. She could not help but reach out as she laughed: "Oh,Fang Zhou, you're so kind-hearted. How could we accept!"

Saying this, she then received it.

36. 

Aunt Zhang pulled together her brows slightly. In front of Lian Fang Zhou and her son, she wouldn't tell her daughter-in-law off. So she turned to Lian Fang Zhou, complained: "Really Fang Zhou! Why buy this much meat? Even if you have money, don't spend it like this! If you bought rice and threw some sweet potato in, it would last a while."

Lian Fang Zhou said with a chuckle: "I knew Aunt would say this! You should let me explain first! The money I used to buy meat, came from seling the mushrooms Ah Ze and I gathered few days back. The young ones are still growing, so they have to eat properly, and that means meat at least occasionally! I also thought of how Aunt and Uncle Li always help us. So naturally I can't forget your share. Otherwise, we'll have no peace of mind when eating!"

Lian Fang Zhou's words made everyone smile.

Uncle Li grinned: "Fang Zhou is getting more and more of a smooth talker! You really don't need to do this. We are all neighbors. It's just a matter of lending a hand, so don't need to take it into heart!"

"That's right!" Aunt Zhang gave her a scolding smile, but she didn't blame her.

Lian Fang Zhou grinned and took out an bundle from her sleeves and uncovered it. She gave the two velvet flowers to Mrs Zhao and Li Juan and happily explained: "When I bought one for my Qing er, I also bought these for Sao-zi* and Ah Juan. It's just something inexpensive, hope Sao-zi* and Ah Juan like it!"

How could women, especially young women, not love pretty dress accessories like flowers? Both Mrs Zhao and Li Juan cried out in delight and compared how they looked. Clearly they loved it as they grinned from ear to ear as they endlessly thanked Fang Zhou.

Aunt Zhang saw that her daughter-in-law and daughter were so happy, so she really couldn't say anything except helplessly staring at Lian Fang Zhou as she shook her head.

For a while, everyone chattered and then Lian Fang Zhou asked with a smile: "Oh yes, I wonder why Aunt Zhang called for me"

Aunt Zhang immediately remembered and laughed: "G.o.d, my memory! I was so focused on small talk that I forgot about the important matter! It's like this, you don't have any livestock at your place and no manure for next year. The crops won't grow in a field with no manure! We just happened to get ten catties of Chinese milk vetch seeds. If you want, I'll give six or seven catties, spread it around the fields in the next few days. Wait until early spring, it'll be good to use as green manure!"

After the Chinese milk vetch seeds are sowed, in the spring they grow knee high and bloom with small pinkish purple flowers. When it's time to plough the fields, just plough directly and plunge them into the soil. They are good fertilizer so it's called green manure.

Lian Fang Zhou was aware of this. She has also been seen it in rural areas in modern times. But she did not expect this method to be used in this era.

She nodded and said: "Uncle Li and Aunt have thought of everything. But if the leftover isn't enough, then don't worry about giving me less!"

"We don't have many fields, so the leftover is enough for us! I have already packed the seeds for you. You can take them now! If the weather is good these few days, you can sow them." Aunt Zhang explained.

"Fang Zhou, wait a sec. I'll get it for you now!" Mrs. Zhao told Lian Fang Zhou and went to the pantry.

Lian Fang Zhou agreed.

In a moment Mrs Zhao came back with a small bag and handed it to Lian Fang Zhou: "Take it!"

Lian Fang Zhou took the bag, thanked and started to leave but Mrs Zhao curiously asked: "Fang Zhou, just now you said today you guys sold mushrooms. How much did you get for them?"

Since she was asked directly, of course Lian Fang Zhou had to answer. So she replied: "Altogether there was around three sacks of dried mushrooms and we got four liang--"

"What! So much!" Mrs Zhao cried out. Her face full of disbelief, surprise, and even envy.

Not just her, even Uncle Li, Aunt Zhang, Li San Ge and Li Juan were stunned as well.

Seeing them like this, Lian Fang Zhou felt a bit embarra.s.sed.

"Fang Zhou, is, this true?" Aunt Zhang stammered out.

Four silver liang! This is half a year of household expenses and it was inconceivable that it was earned in mere few days.

"Those mushrooms, are they really worth that much?" Mrs Zhao couldn't help glance over at the basket that Lian Fang Zhou sent. She immediately felt pain: Those are money, it would be regrettable to eat them!

Lian Fang Zhou smiled and described their mushroom enterprise.

Hearing it, Aunt Zhang's expression changed: "You siblings dare go to Mount Xian Teng ? Really---sigh!"

Mrs Zhao unhappily commented: "Mother, if I knew that we could earn this much money, I would also go! What is there to be afraid of? Having too money will bite our hands?"

"What are you saying!" Aunt Zhang gave Mrs Zhao a dirty look.

But Mrs Zhao did not care. She intimately looked over at Lian Fang Zhou, asking: "Fang Zhou, are you guys still going to forage mushrooms? If you go, take me as well! If something happen, having one more person there would help, right?"

Once Mrs Zhao thought of the idea, she immediately imagined her share of the reward.

In the same time, by herself she couldn't differentiate between edible and poisonous mushrooms. So she could sell poisonous ones and get into a lot of trouble. So it's safer to go with Lian Fang Zhou.

Lian Fang Zhou sheepishly look at Aunt Zhang and said: "I know that you and Uncle Li treat us siblings well. Originally I didn't want to hid this matter from you, but I was afraid you won't agreed if you knew. So I--"

She said it quietly and all in one breath: "Aunt Zhang, don't worry! I have self-control, so I won't act recklessly!Ah Ze and the others are still young and it's their growing stage. It's not enough to eat rice only. It goes without saying, I need to think of other ideas!"

Listening to this, Uncle Li sighed and then spoke: "It was difficult for you! In the future, they will definitely treat you well, since you are thinking for their better."

Aunt Zhang also sighed: "Nevermind! Since you said it like this, what else could I say? It's just that you need to be more careful. That mountain has hundreds types of mushrooms and many are poisonous. So those you never seen before, don't pick it! And also the places where mushrooms cl.u.s.ter, be careful when picking. The woods have different types of poisonous snakes and insects. If there are trails of something pa.s.sing, remember to leave it! It's better that nothing happen. By chance something happen, it'll be a matter of life and death!"

Hearing this, Lian Fang Zhou felt scared. She hurriedly said: "Fang Zhou accepts your teaching. Thank you Aunt for your advice!"

Aunt Zhang smiled and no longer spoke.

Mrs Zhao burst out asking: "Fang Zhou, are you still going? Tomorrow? The day after? Or some other time..."

Mount Xian Teng's boundaries is extremely wide, so one more person doesn't hinder anyone-- even if the boundary isn't wide, Lian Fang Zhou would still take Li Family's person with them.

So she immediately nodded her head: "Ah Ze and I were planning to go tomorrow!"

She didn't say anything about inviting Mrs Zhao because Aunt Zhang doesn't really approve this matter but the intention was clear.

Mrs Zhao's eyes brightened and she couldn't help step forward and grab Lian Fang Zhou's arm: "Fang Zhou, can I come with you tomorrow? Even though I don't know anything but I can rely on you! I don't ask for much. Just want a chance to earn some pocket money and I'll be satisfied."

*Sao-zi means sister-in-law, just a way to call someone elder and familiar with's wife, not really their elder brother's wife.

37.

Lian Fang Zhou just smiled and looked at Aunt Zhang and Uncle Li.

Seeing how enthusiastic her daughter-in-law was, Aunt Zhang knew no matter what she says, she won't listen. So turned toward Lian Fang Zhou, and said: "If it doesn't trouble you then--"

"How could it be trouble? I'm eager for Saozi to be my companion!" Not waiting for Aunt Zhang to finish, Lian Fang Zhou smiled as she cut her off.

She followed up: "However, everyone knows that Mount Xian Teng isn't like ordinary woods. To be honest, Ah Ze and I don't dare to go to many places or too deep into the mountain. So Saozi, you also need to be careful as well."

Actually Mrs Zhao isn't a bad person, she just loves money too much. Lian Fang Zhou is afraid that when the come, she will recklessly wander off while collecting mushrooms. Since she is an adult, she can't really control her, and cannot be blamed if an accident happens. But it will be still attributed to her, because she led Mrs. Zhao to Mount Xian Teng.

And later it would be awkward for the two families to meet.

It's better to sternly warn before that happens.

"What you said is extremely right!" Aunt Zhang nodded vigorously. She instructed Mrs Zhao: "Fang Zhou is more familiar with the area then you are. So you better listen to her. Don't wander recklessly! Or else if something happens, not only you would suffer, you would also implicate others!"

Lian Fang Zhou rushed to say that she is too young to be a leader, but Mrs Zhao immediately accepted---actually, in her heart, she protested: I'm an adult, how could I not know how to act sensible?

Mrs Zhao thought for a moment then pulled Li Juan over and turned toward Aunt Zhang:

"Mother, how about letting little sis come with us as well! Fang Zhou and her are around the same age, they will have a great time talking with each other!"

Li Juan indeed wanted to go, so she smiled at Lian Fang Zhou and supported that idea.

Aunt Zhang was vexed that Mrs Zhao has no good sense when to stop. She didn't want to agree, but she relented seeing her daughter's determination.

"Then it's agreed like this. No need to go really early tomorrow. Just after breakfast is fine! If there's nothing else, I'll go back now!" Lian Fang Zhou said as she stood up and left with the bag of chinese milk vetch seed in her hands.

Aunt Zhang and Uncle Li told her goodbye adding 'be careful tomorrow'.

"I'll send you off!" Mrs Zhao very politely said with a smile.

This actually happened for the first time ever! Lian Fang Zhou politely declined, but Mrs Zhao grabbed her arm ignoring her protest.

Lian Fang Zhou could only smile.

Mrs Zhao walked with her to the door and and said suddenly: "Oh that's right! Don't tell anyone about our outing! If a lot of people know, it'll be a small problem if we can't collect a lot. Even worse if something happens and they blame us!"

Lian Fang Zhou realised that Mrs Zhao most likely sent her off just to say that to her.

She would not tell others anyway so she agreed: "I won't."

Only like this, could Mrs Zhao feel at ease and watch her leave.

Third Aunt saw a bag that Lian Fang Zhou's brought with her and immediately asked: "What's that?"

"Chinese milk vetch seed. It's used as green manure." Lian Fang Zhou calmly replied.

Hearing this, Third Aunt lost her interest. She curled her lips as her expression become scornful and quietly grumble: " Half a catty of pork in exchange for this..."

Lian Fang Zhou ignored that and called out Lian Che and Lian Fang Qing to bathe and go to sleep.

She also enquired with the guy about his injuries. The guy just grinned: "It's no problem. Just superficial wounds."

Seeing that his face and spirit seem fine, her worries were gone. So she let Lian Ze take him to their nook to sleep. [Editor note to be rejected: poor guy, n.o.body helps him bathe, heartless, Fang Zhou!]

Early the next day, Lian Fang Zhou, Lian Ze, Mrs Zhao and Li Juan made their way to Mount Xian Teng.

Right after they arrived Mrs Zhao and Li Juan were a bit scared but gradually their fear went away.

Whenever Lian Fang Zhou chanced upon mushrooms, she would carefully tell them what kind it is and if it suitable for picking.

Collecting mushrooms is completely different from cutting firewood.

You need to wander around widely [they avoid dangerous parts!] when picking mushrooms.One has to be perceptive, but also lucky.

Originally with just Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze, it was more convenient. But now there's two more of them. Aftering walking for good while, they would only find one meager cl.u.s.ter. That's when it's hard to split.

And also Mrs Zhao is a greedy person. Everytime they come across mushrooms, she rushes over to be the first to reach them. With an expression 'this is mine', she asks Lian Fang Zhou: "Can one pick them?"

Lian Fang Zhou wouldn't selfishly hide from her, but if this keeps up, even with full day effort, she and Lian Ze won't be able to gather much.

After thinking about it,Lian Fang Zhou then spoke out: "It isn't really convenient for the four of us so far. How about this? Saozi and Ah Juan come with me and Ah Ze goes gather by himself. Let's agree on a time to meet and not be late."

Lian Ze is a male, even though he's young, he should manage alone.

Lian Ze wanted to walk off long time ago. Honestly he doesn't like Mrs Zhao. Before Mrs Zhao gave them a lot of frowns and cold eyes. He knows very well why she came with them today.

Li Juan also felt Sister-in-law's actions are very embarra.s.sing. Hearing Lian Fang Zhou say this, she agreed. However Mrs Zhao doesn't.

Internally Mrs Zhao believes Lian Fang Zhou is taking them to wander around the mountain, while letting Lian Ze pick up the valuable one.

"It isn't such a good idea. Won't Ah Ze become lonely?How about this, Fang Zhou, you and Ah Juan go together and I go with Lian Ze!" Mrs Zhao smiled slyly.

Lian Ze's face immediately darkened a lot hearing this. Did he hear it wrong? Mrs Zhao actually want to go with him?

Lian Fang Zhou froze. Now thinking about it, could only do this. It's better than letting Li Juan going with Lian Ze.

"Then... it's alright!" Lian Fang Zhou nodded. Then turned to Lian Ze with a smile and said: "Ah Ze, you look after Saozi Zhao. And also don't be greedy and go far. Make sure to come back in time!"

Lian Ze helplessly look at Lian Fang Zhou. It's hard to refuse sister's words, so he could only glumly agree.

"Alright, let's go then! We should move while it's early, this way we can gather more!" Mrs Zhao grinned happily at Lian Ze.

"Sister, be careful!" Lian Ze said to Lian Fang Zhou as he waved goodbye and left with Mrs Zhao.

"We should also go then!" Lian Fang Zhou smiled at Li Juan after seeing them leave.

"Ok," Li Juan nodded and shot her an embarra.s.sed smile. Honestly, Sister-in-law is--, but she couldn't apologize for her--it is not for her to say it!

While Lian Fang Zhou just laugh it off and pressed her hand to show it's fine.

The two of them exchanged glances and bursted with laughter. In that moment they felt a lot closer.

When the time to meet arrived, Lian Fang Zhou and Li Juan came out first. Not long later, Mrs Zhao and Lian Ze also came.

"Oh, it's time to go back already? From what I see, it's still early!" Mrs Zhao laughed out.

Lian Fang Zhou replied: "Saozi, you should be very clear that it gets dark faster in the mountain forest. If we don't leave now, there's a chance we'll b.u.mp into ferocious beasts looking for prey. Then it's hard to handle!"

"That's right Sister-in-law! And the road back is still long!" Li Juan followed up.

Mrs Zhao saw that her sister-in-law also spoke out, there's nothing else she could say. So she purposely glance at Li Juan's sack and Lian Fang Zhou's. With a laugh, she purposely lightly pointed out: "Ah Juan is new to this and she picked very little! Compare to Lian Fang Zhou, it's a lot less!"

The underlying meaning is very clear: Lian Fang Zhou didn't take care of Li Juan!Clearly, she took advantage of her!

38. 

When Lian Ze came out with Mrs Zhao, his face wasn't very pretty. Hearing Mrs Zhao say like this, he was even more mad. From behind her, he lifted his eyes and shot a glare at her.

While Li Juan's face turned red when she heard it. She couldn't help say with some embara.s.sed anger: "Is Sister-in-law complaining about my movement being slow? But I could only move this fast. How about I don't come at all then!"

"I didn't mean it like that!" Mrs Zhao became anxious when Li Juan talked like this. While she smiled in embarra.s.sment, she looked over at Lian Fang Zhou . She felt that Lian Fang Zhu would help explain on her behalf. Because the current Lian Fang Zhou is very polite and easy-going.

Lian Fang Zhou nodded: "Yes, what you mean is I should give all of my mushrooms to you!"

"That's right. That's right! Now hand it over!" Mrs Zhao reached out her hand to take the sack. "You should repay back all the favour my mother done for you!"

Lian Ze's face turned completely black, while Li Juan was white. Li Juan stepped forward and tried to stop Mrs Zhao. "Sister-in-law, you should apologise! Mother would scold you if you do this."

A-WOOOOOOOOO

They all froze in their spot for a moment before turning to look at the direction of the sound. The sun was setting, so the forest looked darker and eerier than earlier. Two glowing dots suddenly appear.

"Run!" Lian Fang Zhou yelled, when she saw something pouncing out of the forest.

Li Juan and Mrs Zhao screamed as Lian Fang Zhou pulled away them from the forest. Lian Ze threw his sack toward the direction of the beast before following behind.

The beast clawed the sack and mushrooms exploded out. It toyed with the mushrooms that has burst out- swatting, gnawing and squeezing.

If Lian Fang Zhou and the others turned back, they would see a wolf pup. But they had already ran out of sight.

"Sister, it's not behind us." After running far away from Mount Xian Teng, Lian Ze turned to glance behind.

The four of them finally stopped and looked back.

"I can't believe... we were.. that unluckily...to meet ferocious beast... on our first day," Mrs Zhao gasped out. "Luckily... I held onto this!"

Mrs Zhao rubbed the sack gently with a delighted grin. Then looked at the others.

Seeing that Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze was empty-handed, she tightened her hold on the sack. "Don't even think of asking to split this sack!"

"But..." Li Juan opened her mouth to speak, however Mrs Zhao has already started dragging her away.

Lian Fang Zhou sighed and shook her head.

"Sister, what should we do? All our effort today is wasted." Lian Ze stared at Lian Fang Zhou in despair.

"As long as we are still alive, we can still earn more money. So don't worry. Let's go back before the others worries." Lian Fang Zhou gave him an encouraging smile.

When they got back, Third Aunt was there waiting for them. Third Aunt's eye quickly glance at their hands and squawk out: "What has happened? Don't tell me you gift everything you gather to THEM!"

Lian Fang Zhou and Lian Ze looked at each other in surprise. They didn't expect Third Aunt to be waiting for them. But before they can open their mouth, Third Aunt continued on shouting in outrage.
"Fang Zhou ah! How could you just give all those money away. I know Zhang Saozi have helped you a lot. But this isn't the way to pay back grat.i.tude. I must go and take back our share!"

Third Aunt rushed out before Lian Fang Zhou or Lian Ze could explain.

39. Don't know whether to cry or laugh 

Nothing could scare Third Aunt more than a talk of sending her back to her husband's family. Now at Lian Family, she felt more and more comfortable--even though from the start Lian Fang Zhou didn't allow her to be the head. So it's better to honestly admit her misdeeds!

In one day, Third Aunt really outdid herself. Cleaning the yard and chopping the firewoods was the guy's work. While she at it, she told him to husk the rice. Afterward hearing from Lian Fang Qing that the taro have yet to be harvested, she took him to the field. And she ordered him to dig them out, carry it back and even hang them on the beam of the corridor.

"WHAT!?" Lian Fang Zhou's eyes widen. "You actually told him to work in the field? How could you do that!"

"No. It wasn't me!" Third Aunt saw that Lian Fang Zhou was absolutely furious, she immediately became anxious. She rushed to explain. "He, he came to tell me that he wanted to go to the nearby mountains to pick some medicinal herbs for his wounds. So I thought he's going to the mountains, might as well let him... on the way...on the way..."

Lian Fang Zhou felt with Third Aunt, she really didn't know what to say! She stamped her feet as she angrily scold: "What good things you done! He even said he's picking medicinal herbs for his wounds and you still made him do manual labour! Third Aunt, if it spreads out how we treat our saviour, what will people think of us then? And also, Qing'er and Che'er are

still young. If they learn from this example, you'll ruin them! If something like that happens again, Third Aunt, we dare not let you stay."

ThirdAunt was irritated that Lian Fang Zhou keeping using these words, but that was her weakness. So no matter how mad, she could only endure. Except for that threat, Lian Fan Zhou always treated her fairly. Way better than her husband's family.

So Third Aunt grudgingly answered: "I understand, I understand."

Lian Fang Zhou was still extremely annoyed, she continued on: "You should sincerely mean it. Don't just agree with mouth! Didn't you want to go to the vegetable patch? Go on!"

"Yes," Third Aunt nodded. Then all of a sudden, she came closer to Lian Fang Zhou again.

"From what I see, why don't we let the guy stay. The guy got endless amount of energy. He's good at manual work and also honest and obedient--"

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou pointedly glare at her, her neck shrunk and immediately changed: "I'm going to the veggie patch!"

"Really---" Lian Fang Zhou let out a long sigh. She swiftly washed her hands and face and patted dust off her before turning to enter the house.

She going to ask for some medicinal tincture for the guy. Originally she said she'll ask for some today but who knew that she completely forgot once she went out early this morning. Causing him to find some medicinal herbs by himself. And conveniently exploited by Third Aunt--

Then again, she also have some fault in this too.

But unexpectedly this guy, who forgot he himself was, actually understood herbal medicine?

Very soon Lian Fang Zhou returned with a vial of

of a medicinal tincture in hand.

Lian Fang Zhou took the medicinal tincture inside the house. The guy was sitting in the middle of the room talking with Lian Ze and the two little ones. The twins were curious about the situation that day when he rescued their family. They continuously questioned him.

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou enter, they stopped talking and greeted: "Sister!"

Lian Fang Zhou acknowledged them and then continued:" I have something to say with this uncle, you guys go back to your room."

The three of them agreed as they stood up. Lian Fang Qing cheekily winked at her sister. She giggled as she corrected: "It's not uncle. It's big brother!"

Lian Fang Zhou came to a stop. The la.s.s has already entered her room with a laugh. She could only helplessly laugh.

Lian Fang Zhou tightened her grip on the vial and held it out to him. With a very apologetic smile, she said: "Originally I should have to ask for medicinal tincture in the morning. But it flew out of my mind. Here, take it and rub on your wounds."

The guy smiled: "That's very kind of you Eldest Miss!My wounds are really superficial. When Third Aunt asked me to help with digging taro, I happened to see some herbs I could use by the mountain side and picked some.When I came back, I ground them in the pestle and I smeared them on my skin. . I just need to apply it a few more times and it'll be better. There's really no need to trouble Eldest Miss."

Hearing this, Lian Fang Zhou gritted her teeth: 'Third Aunt actually lied to

lied to my face!She slyly reversed the order of events!'

"You should just take it!A tincture is more effective than raw herbs!" Not letting any room for discussion, Lian Fang Zhou placed the vial into his hand. Then with some embarra.s.sment: "You saved us, so you're our benefactor. Just rest properly. If Third Aunt tells you to do any more work, you don't need to bother with her. I'm the head of this family, so don't mind her! And also, don't call me Eldest Miss. Call me... Miss Lian!"

Lian Fang Zhou suddenly remember Third Aunt mention letting him stay. She immediately felt a bit out of place and guilty and thought, 'The person in front of me is obviously our saviour. But was made into a servant by that unreliable Third Aunt.'

Seeing the situation, the guy accept the vial and gave his thanks and kept speaking: "Miss, Miss Lian. Please don't blame Madam Third Aunt, she--"

"Madam Third Aunt!" Lian Fang Zhou was filled with rage. She immediately felt an impulse to teach Third Aunt a good lesson--so embarra.s.sing!

"Our family don't have any Madam Third Aunt," Lian Fang Zhou done her best to make her expression pleasant. With a slight smile: "In future please don't use such way of addressing. If other people hear, they'll be bent double laughing. Just like we are doing, call her Third Aunt!"

Afraid that Third Aunt would still say nonsense behind her back in future, with a stern face, she said: "Listen carefully, in this house, I make the decisions. It's enough if you just listen to me! If Third Aunt ever tell you to do something again, do something again, come discuss it with me first!"

The guy didn't care much about these t.i.tle matters, so he agreed with no second thoughts. Then continuing the previous topic: "As a matter of fact, I really only have some superficial injuries. It's really not hard for me to work, so don't blame Third Aunt!"

With a sheepish grin, "Honestly speaking, it's a fact that you saved me. So it's only right that I work for you."

Lian Fang Zhou gave a gentle sigh: It's better to stop here, cause if we keep quarrelling about this matter, don't know when we'll reach an agreement.

"Then let's say we don't owe each other! So in future, let's not mention it, alright? Now relax while you nurse your injuries!" Lian Fang Zhou grinned and decided to go see how Third Aunt is doing with the dinner.

Though his injuries weren't serious, he's still not completely well. No matter what Lian Fang Zhou doesn't have the heart to tell him to leave.

"Miss Lian!" The guy called out to stop her. His voice sounded a bit desperate.

Lian Fang Zhou halted and turned around. "Is there something that concerns you? If you have any requests, don't hesitate to ask!"

Although he looked unusual, he did not seem to be a person that could use a blackmail or a trick to gain an advantage. That's why Lian Fang Zhou said this with completely straightforwardly and happily.

"No matter what request, Miss Lian will promise me?" The guy's eyes brightened up and he as he quickly followed up. This made Lian Fang Zhou felt like he was waiting for her to say these words.

40. 

Lian Fang Zhou hesitated a bit and then nodded: "As long as I am able to do it."

"You can! Of course you can!" The guy was so agitated that he unexpectedly stood up. Looking at Lian Fang Zhou he earnestly said, "Miss Lian, can you take me in?"

"Wh...What!" Lian Fang Zhou froze as her mind exploded.

"Can you take me in?" The guy looked at her earnestly as he asked and continued: "I won't eat free food. I can work for you!I am very robust, so no work is too hard for me! I just want...a place to shelter from the wind and rain. Can you promise me?"

The guy himself also didn't understand why he would make this kind of request, even after regaining his memory many years later.

In the end, he could only think of it as: This should be fate, right? Somehow it's heaven at work!

He got strong body and his look was very honest and sincere. As he wandered, so many people were persuading him to stay at their place but he tactfully declined all. But after reaching Lian Family's place, he actually don't want to leave. Not even one step.

The pair of bright deep black eyes gazed at her earnestly. His aura and att.i.tude were full of sincerity. This made Lian Fang Zhou immediately look away, not daring to look him--rejecting him would made you feel guilty and wrong.

"Sister, let Big Brother stay!" Unable to endure it anymore, Lian Ze came out of the room and spoke: " Now it's already late autumn and winter is coming soon. Where could Big Brother go to survive winter?"

"That's right! That's right, Sister! Winter is really cold! Really cold!"

"Sister, Big Brother is a good person. Let him stay!"

Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che also came over to help speak for the guy.

The three siblings all talking combined with that guy's eagered gaze made Lian Fang Zhou's head spin. She felt like she nearly can't take it all.

She can't help but feel curious: ever since Lian Ze saw the guy's martial art, his eyes kept on shining, so she know what he was planning. But the two little ones, why are they helping him with such gusto?

She didn't know that Lian Ze said this behind her back: "His martial art is very powerful. If he stay at our home, n.o.body would dare bully us, or bully sister! " And this completely persuaded Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che

While the three young one plead enthusiastically, Third Aunt popped in from outside and also spoke out: "Fang Zhou, let him stay then! The guy, he got so much strength. So it's perfect if he stays and works! With just you and Lian Ze, there's a lot of work you can't do... Well, I'm just stating the truth!"

Seeing Lian Fang Zhou glare at her, Third Aunt bitterly added the last sentence.

Lian Fang Zhou got a headache from all their noise and with addition to the guy's earnest expression, her heart softened. Unable to refrain from nodding, she spoke: "Alright! Then... we'll talk about it after winter pa.s.ses!"

Although the guy looks honest, but to know one's face is not to know one's heart!

She got to defend against the chance of it happening.

Lian Fang Zhou avoided a definite answer and kept an advantage for talking about it in future. Secondly, let him be mentally warned: I did not promise to let you stay!

Lian Fang Zhou also glanced at Third Aunt and thought that it was the right choice to let Third Aunt stay at the beginning! If Third Aunt wasn't here, with just them four siblings, they can't take him in no matter how pitiful he was.

Without any adult in the house, letting an unknown young man stay at their home while she is fifteen years old, those rumors and gossips could kill her!

With Third Aunt here, it's different.

Lian Fang Qing and Lian Che are still young, so they didn't understand the meaning of Lian Fang Zhou's words and kept on vigorously making a scene. They were so focused that they did not see that a smile already appearing on Lian Ze's face.

Third Aunt clapped her hands as she laughed: "You two are really silly. Why make a ruckus? Your sister already agreed!"

"Really?" Both Lian Fang Qing and Lian Ze were surprised and full of joy as they looked at her.

Lian Fang Zhou grinned: "For now, it's like this."

The three siblings shouted out in joy. The guy was also surprised and happy. He kept on thanking her.

Third Aunt smiled like a cheshire cat: we got a free worker to boss around! That's splendid!

The most important thing is that this guy is very polite to her, willing to listen to her. This is really, really perfect!

"You're welcome!" Lian Fang Zhou grinned. Seeing that everyone this happy, she also felt happy as well, nice and warm inside.

"Ah, since the big guy wants to stay in our home, he'll need a name, right?" Third Aunt suddenly mentioned.

Big guy?

Lian Fang Zhou's brow slightly, very slightly pinched. In her mind, she subconsciously imagined how Third Aunt high and mightily called him 'big guy' as she ordered him to work for the whole day today and felt she done him wrong.

"He should have a name!" Lian Fang Zhou nodded.

Third Aunt couldn't believe that Lian Fang Zhou actually didn't vetoed her words--- she didn't think how there's no reason to reject the idea.

With the newfound energy, she spoke with a very self-conceited smile: "I have already thought of a name, let's call him Yuan Bao (means: a shaped ingot of gold or silver, used as money or as a gift for luck and prosperity, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycee)!"

Lian Fang Zhou immediately started coughing---she choked on her own spit!

"No way! Too showy!" Lian glared at Third Aunt with outrage. Beside refuting her, she also have another meaning: if you don't know how to adjust, then talk less!

What kind of name is this! She felt too embarra.s.sed to even said it.

Big guy doesn't really care about what he is called. Hmm...however, his personal opinion is that he also doesn't like this name.

He turned to Lian Fang Zhou, with a sheepish smile: "How about Miss Lian give me a name! Feel free to call me whatever, it's fine as long as it's convenient to say."

Giving a name is an important matter, so of course it's more suitable for the family head handling it. The three younger siblings kept their mouth closed and they all stared at Lian Fang Zhou.

Lian Fang Zhou gave it some thought, then spoke out: "Let's call you Ah Jian then!"

"Alright, from now on, I'm called Ah Jian!" The big guy grinned as he nodded.

Naturally the three little one would agree with it. They then called out with a smile: "Big Brother Jian!"

"Ah Jian!" Third Aunt also called out once but also mumbled quietly: "I still feel that Yuan Bao sounds nicer..."

The three little ones didn't hear her and continued greeting Ah Jian. Lian Fang Zhou heard it and pretend she didn't hear her.

"That's all now. Time to eat! Everybody, don't you feel hungry?" Lian Fang Zou chuckled as she commented.

"Let's eat! Let's eat!" The children then started become busy as they grabbed the bowls and moved the stools. The swaying human shadows from faint yellow light were filled with faint warmth.

After that, Ah Jian stayed in Lian Family's home, sharing the room with the Lian brothers. To others, they say he is a distant relative of their mother. His family got no land, so firstly he came over to find a shelter and secondly to help the Lian siblings.

After Mrs Qiao found out, she once hid somewhere to secretly observe Ah Jian and saw that he is tall and strong. With one glance, she could tell he is filled with endless energy and not the kind that is thieving, crafty and lazy.

Immediately Mrs Qiao felt upset and extremely envious.

Maybe spread some rumors behind their back-- without thinking, it's obvious what kinds of words they are.

Lian Ze was boiling with anger. He wanted to immediately go to Uncle's house to ask for an explanation.

Inside, he is filled with remorse and regret: if he knew that letting Ah Jian would cause such trouble, he probably wouldn't have said those words! But...

Ah Jian felt terrible when he found out and was silent the whole day. Then turned to Lian Fang Zhou to bid farewell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48K 759 11
This story is based on village story with lots of smut...
153K 389 101
Erotic shots
129K 497 36
Smut 18+ ONLY! ⚠️WARNING⚠️ ⚠️CONTAINS MUTURE CONTENT⚠️ ⚠️VERY SEXUAL 18+⚠️ 22 year old Raven Johnson is just going to her yearly doctors appointment...
192K 4.7K 110
As the Maid of Evil, Y/n sacrifices her life for her twin brother. As the Mist Hashira, Y/n sacrifices her life for humanity. But not anymore will Y...