CRIMSON ROTH

By user16965261

"We are on Gregorax," his voice cut off Crimson's line of thought. When she stared at him, a puzzled look on... More

Chapter 1 - First Flight
Chapter 2 - Imprisonment
Chapter 3 - The Library of Secrets
Chapter 4 - Lost Sister
Chapter 5 - Welcome to Fhroreevere Town
Chapter 6 - Turbulence!
Chapter 7 - On the Rooftops
Chapter 8 - Talks and Coffee
Chapter 9 - Behind Curtains
Chapter 11 - Fire or Fist? Friend or Foe?
Chapter 12 - Hectic Heights
Chapter 13 - Final Test
Chapter 14 - Dagger
Chapter 15 - The Clock Conundrum
Chapter 16 - Who's to Fade?
Epilogue - A Blink in Reverse

Chapter 10 - Doppelgänger

37 7 0
By user16965261

A wall. Crimson and Jake had walked all the way just to face a wall. "This... Is it?" Crimson huffed, placing a hand on her hip. Her feet were aching from the walk here. They must've been at it for half an hour. She was getting impatient. "I thought this was supposed to be our escape? How do we get through a wall?" she questioned, staring at Jake.

Jake stared at it for a bit, his brows furrowing. "No, Arden must've made an escape. If he did so much for his wife, he wouldn't have let her just rot to death in a tunnel," he frowned. Jack cautiously placed a hand on the wall, planning on feeling around for some sort of clue. Suddenly, his hand passed through.

Crimson froze as she watched her friend slowly melt into the wall. She may or may not have uttered a curse. Suddenly his head popped out again. "Come on! The wall is the exit! It's just a magical barrier!" Crimson stared at him for a couple seconds, but he didn't seem to be joking. She hesitated for a bit before she too stepped through the wall.

She felt weird. Her body felt like jelly, still wiggling to and fro. She didn't think walking through a magical wall would feel like this. She thought it would be more like a strong burst of wind or something like that. Well, technically, she had never really thought about it until she had to experience it.

Crimson scrunched up her face, her emerald green eyes only slits. The sun was still high in the sky, like none of their previous adventure had happened. Though Jake and Crimson had spent a few hours in Fhroreevere Town, time seemed to have stood still back in Gregorax. It was a bit disorienting.

The land around them was barren, like everything was sculpted from marble. Crimson finally realized, under the boiling heat, that she was still wearing the cloth around her head. She quickly took it off and placed it in her bag as she followed Jake. "This... Is very weird," Jake spoke slowly. "The sky is exactly like Gregorax's sky but.... What is this place?"

Almost suddenly, the ground shook below their feet. Crimson wobbled but managed to stay in her feet. "Crimson!" Jake gelled, holding out his hand. The teenage girl reached out to hold Jake's outstretched hand, but before she could, a wall of mirrors rose from the ground. She saw a glimpse of Jack before he disappeared behind the mirror.

Crimson landed roughly in her butt, kicking up a cloud of white dust. She focused on getting up first before scoping to see where she was. All around her were mirrors, showing her one image, herself. A dreadful silence hung in the air, an annoying high pitched buzzing ringing in Crimsons ears. "What is this place?" her soft words seemed to be swallowed by the silence, making it hard for her to even hear herself.

She stared walking, her feet not making any noise even if she stomped it on the floor. Yet, she didn't dare shout and try to break the silence. It seemed wrong to do so. All around her were images of herself. It was enough to drive someone crazy. Every mirror she looked at seemed to point a flaws in her appearance.

A mirror close by made the pimple on her cheek look gigantic. Another one made the scar on her collarbone look like a gigantic gash through her chest and neck. Subconsciously, Crimson touched that little scar. She had gotten it as a child, when she ignored her mother's warnings and tried to pick up a knife. She had accidentally dropped it and it cut her. It wasn't dangerously deep, but enough to make a scar.

She started walking again, keeping her eyes on the ground. This mirror place wasn't much of a maze. Every branching section always met up again. Suddenly, she could hear the mumbling of another person. It sounded like... Jake! The familiar sandy hair came into view, though it looked a bit washed out. His skin was pale, like he had stayed inside for months.

"Crimson!" his voice held surprise, but also anger. "This is all your fault! If you hadn't been all sad and stuff, we would've found out more information about this place!" His words were icy. Crimson froze, staring at Jake. He wasn't usually like this.

"I-im sorry," she murmured, feeling heat flush into her face. Jake frowned before stomping away. Crimson stood there for a moment before following him. As she rounded a corner, she saw two branching paths. She stopped for a bit before picking the one of the right. When she saw Jake, she tensed a bit.

"Crimson?" he turned around, staring at her. His eyes turned harsh. "Why'd you have to go here. Is it because you don't want to do anything and you just want to blindly follow me? Isn't that all you've done this whole adventure?" he spat. "Get lost!" A fair was ablaze in his eyes.

Crimson stared at him for a heart beat before rushing towards the left path. She could feel heat crawl up to her eyes and nose. 'Don't cry,' she thought to herself. 'You're strong.' She took a few deep breaths, eyes still stuck on the ground. She suddenly crashed into someone else.

"Are you serious? Why'd you have to crash onto me?" The voice came from Jake again. Crimson flinched. She couldn't help but notice that his colours were even paler this time. "You're always so impatient! I have to do all the work and trouble keeping nagging me! I mean, isn't your impatience the reason we're stuck together!?" The man in front of Crimson crossed his arms before walking away.

Crimson could feel tears start rolling down her eyes. Even the images of her in the mirror seemed to look on her. She could he at their voices laughing and taunting at her. She quickly scrambled up and just raced forward, blindly choosing paths. She suddenly halted when she crashed into a bend. She flinched, her cheek throbbing from the impact.

"Never think do you?" It was Jake again. She didn't face him this time. "You just do, do and do. Never think on planning something out. Of course, I have to do that task. You think this adventure is nothing more than fun and games." He hissed, stepping closer. "Well its not. It never is. Yet you don't care, you keep doing things willy-nilly." He stepped next to her ear. "WHY CANT YOU THINK!?" he roared before disappearing.

The shout still rang in Crimson's ears. She crouched down, burying her head in her hands. She let out soft sobs, which turned into cries. "Ugh. You're confidence is so easily broken. You have no self esteem, huh? Why'd I pick you to be my teammate?" a voice spoke above her before leaving.

Crimson paused before collecting herself. She scrambled up onto her feet and trudged on. Her mind was blank and her heart was heavy. She just kept walking, shutting out the taunts of the mirrored images. In a few minutes, she reached the middle. "Crimson!?" A voice cracked. "No, no, not again. But why're there two of you now?" Crimson's curiosity got the best of her and she looked up.

There were two Jake's now. Fully coloured, perfectly the same. They both had a red tint know their faces. She looked beside her. It was another of herself! And disturbingly similar. Even the doppelganger's eyes and nose were stuffy. "Is this... A challenge?" Crimson, the real one, asked. Both Jakes looked at her.

"Yes," the one on the right replied, full of confidence. "I'm pretty sure they're testing us on our trust or something." The other one hesitated before shrugging. "I think," was all they replied. Crimson tilted her head. They were both so similar. And their personality matched either way.

"Well, if it's a trust bond test, we'll win right?" the fake Crimson, which Crimson nicknamed C, asked cautiously. "Even if all that stuff had happened to us, we're still close friends, no?" The real Crimson's eyes widened. "If it was all a test...." Crimson wracked her mind for something to say. "Then it doesn't matter what those images of us said. We still care for each other either way."

The other Jakes paused before both replying, "You both are right." The one on the left spoke up, "Then we need to find who out partner is." This made all four of them pause. "A quiz?" the Jake on the right asked, smiling slightly. The other one smiled and shook his head. "No need."

He suddenly stuck his hand out, "Can you tell me why you're stuck in this planet?". C stared at the Jake before averting her gaze to the ground, face flushed. Crimson, had acted like that when she first met Jake. But now, she was more confident, knowing Jake wouldn't laugh at her. Besides, they both had done a lot of stupid things on their adventure.

"Isn't that an easy question?" The real Crimson asked, a smirk on her face. "I accidentally stole a ship and crash landed here. You've heard me tell you this before." She rolled her eyes jokingly. "Tell me then, why are you here?" She waited for an answer, determination in her eyes.

"Captured by the Equilibri. They went to my planet and took us all to Gregorax. I was a prisoner. We met at out jail cell. This is too easy," The Jake who had asked the question before answered. "Well that's that. I guess we are the real ones. The fake ones will probably be swallowed back into the mirrors, right?" The other Jake reached his hand out and Crimson almost took it.

However, the other Jake suddenly piped up. "I was living in my home when suddenly the alien ships came down. A gigantic equilirbi, the leader I presumed, ordered all the others to capture us. My dad tried to fight him off but lost his life instead," The words haltingly came out from Jake's mouth. "My mom and I were captured. As she was already, she was quickly sent to get her energy extracted. They threw me in a cage so I could grow up. I've been in that cage for a year or so...." His voice trailed off, and Crimson could see his eyes were glossy.

"I guess at the very least I shouldn't keep this a secret. Real Crimson, you might think I'm the fake one, but my story is definitely real. I guess before you leave, I wanted you to know this because I don't know if the other Jake would ever tell you," he murmured. 'Jake... The real Jake....' She realized.

Suddenly the Jake in front of her lunged, his hand reaching towards Crimson. He was already starting to turn pale and translucent, like he was disappearing from the real world. His fingers almost grazed Crimson but just then he was blown away.

The real Jake had his blaster up. He had definitely made the shot. He turned around and fired at C, who was trying to run away. As she hit the floor, she shattered into a million pieces. "Thank you," Crimson replied, her eyes still wide with shock. "That was a surprise." Jake stared at her for a bit, an uneasy look in his eyes. "Don't worry. All those other Crimsons you probably saw were just fakes. Whatever they said, ignore it."

Jake smiled, placing his blaster back around his belt. He stuck his hand out, his eyes sparkling. "You too. Know that I don't mean whatever those fakes said. I think you're a great friend," he nodded. Crimson smiled, grasping Jake's hand in hers.

A low groaning sound came from around them. The mirrors slowly moved down, the light reflecting off of it temporarily blinding the two. But then they could finally see again, all they saw were rows of Equilibri, all with weapons raised.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Xenoman By Adam Martin

Science Fiction

369 4 39
Xeno yearns to have access to The Nth Dimension like The White Boys, famed telepaths who suffered brain damage when they made contact with extraterre...
146 12 20
20 years ago, the world was on the brink of extinction when the Galactic Federation saved Earth. Since then, humans pledged our loyalty to serve them...
2K 456 16
Frank is a clock mechanic, set out to replace a broken loop in 2018, but when Luz, the friend he shouldn't have made sees more than she should've, th...
21.1K 2K 50
[Featured on WATTPAD PICKS] The last thing you'd imagine Earth's General having is an identity crisis, let alone in the middle of an interstellar war...