A Vagabond's Tale [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"This story is WOW!!! How I wished it didn't come to an end!" - chysungal "Did you kidnap me?" he asked. Gig... More

These dang author's and their stupid notes!
Chapter 1 - "Did you find any survivors?"
Chapter 2 - "Did you kidnap me?"
Chapter 3 - "Do you ever want to be more?"
Chapter 4 - "Come back, alright?"
Chapter 5 - "I'm not a lady."
Chapter 6 - "You will never lose me."
Chapter 7 - "I wonder what he will be like?"
Chapter 8 - "What happened to Jayis?"
Chapter 9 - "The vagabond girl turns out to be a lady."
Chapter 10 - "I am his royal highness's steward, Jayis."
Chapter 11 - "I should not keep his Highness waiting."
Chapter 12 - "Do you plan to neglect your duties?"
Chapter 13 - "Are you leaving?"
Chapter 14 - "Do not lie to me."
Chapter 15 - "If you ask it of me."
Chapter 16 - "Say what you must say and let's move on."
Chapter 17 - "Will you marry him?"
Chapter 18 - "Very well, mother if you wish it."
Chapter 19 - "I believe this next dance belongs to me."
Chapter 20 - "I have no intention of marrying."
Chapter 21 - "What do you wish to know?"
Chapter 22 - "You were the exact person I was looking for."
Chapter 23 - "Is that really true?"
Chapter 24 - "Say nothing."
Chapter 25 - "I would like the truth."
Chapter 26 - "I can not go with you."
Chapter 27 - "Look only at me."
Chapter 28 - "It is not a thing that can be changed."
Chapter 30 - "Steal me away."
Chapter 31 - "I wish the same for you, my Prince."
Chapter 32 - "We knew you would not waste it."
Chapter 33 - "Am I wrong?"
Chapter 34 - "I fell in love."
You Have My Heart
Epilogue
A Pirate's Tale - Completed!
A Royal's Tale - Completed!

Chapter 29 - "It does not have to be that way."

16K 1.6K 1.3K
By joymoment

Taking a breath, Gigi smoothed down the front of her dress. The top hung off her shoulders and the gold made her dark skin glow as if lit by candlelight. The day was over but there still lay before her an evening that she was waiting to end, but feared what would happen when it did. Even the bright, staccato melody from below did nothing to lighten the burden in her chest.

In silence, Margo moved around her making sure she looked perfect for the final ball of the festival. In her eyes, Gigi saw hints of concern. A feeling that had grown over the last two days when Gigi had taken to quiet more than talk.

Gigi didn't know how she had made it through the remaining days, but when in company her smile had never faltered and no one had seen past it. All except one person and his smile was a mirror of her own. She had realized then what lies could be hidden behind the simple look.

Margo's last minute adjustments were brought to a halt at the sound of knocking. As she moved to open the door, Gigi brushed her hand over her hair, tucking away a loose strand.

"Evening, Lord and Lady Brixton," Margo said with a curtsy.

Gigi spun around as her grandparents entered. When Lady Brixton saw Gigi, she beamed. The sight did little to warm Gigi, but she returned the look the best she could. She then noticed there were accents of gold in both her grandmother's dress as well as Lord Brixton's suit. Together they would present a unified front. Gigi wondered if this had been intentional.

"You are dismissed," Lord Brixton said, to Margo.

With one final look at Gigi and a curtsy, she did as instructed. Taking Gigi's hands, Lady Brixton led her to a chair and sat her down.

"Now dear," she said, her eyes burning with a secret. "Your grandfather and I would like to discuss something with you."

Gigi folded her hands on her lap and met her grandparents' gaze with an expectant look though her heart was tired.

"Genevieve," Lady Brixton said. "Having you be with us this summer has been a blessing we never could imagine having before. You make a wonderful lady and it has been our pride to see how well you thrived in this world." She reached out and squeezed Gigi's hand once. Despite her weariness, Gigi responded to the touch with a more genuine smile. "It has warmed my heart to watch your happiness and I could not think of how I would have made it through Alton's passing if you had not been here."

There was a flicker of grief in Lady Brixton's eyes that reminded Gigi of how short the time had been since her uncle's death. Lord Brixton placed a hand on his wife's shoulder and she covered it with her own hand.

"Genevieve," he said, his bass voice make the room still with seriousness. "I know that you have heard rumors of you being our heir." Gigi gave a nod. "Your grandmother told me that she explained that this is true. Since your mother rejected her title, the Estate and all that it entitles could fall to you."

Gigi was a little surprised by his words. "Does that mean that you do not wish for me to inherit."

Her grandmother rushed in. "Of course we do, but we want to officially offer you the title of our heir." She looked at her husband. "We had hoped to be the ones to tell you ourselves but we should have known how Court works and what people would say."

"We are now offering you the title," her grandfather said. "We wish you to stay with us and remain a Lady."

Lady Brixton's eyes sparkled again. "Think of it, Genevieve. You would not have to leave all this behind. I know that this final ball is both exciting and saddening, knowing that it might be the very last. But if you say yes, then it does not have to be so. You could return year after year."

Lady Brixton didn't know how her words held the opposite effect since Gigi kept her face from showing her emotions. Nothing sounded more painful than returning year after year. Seeing Thayer year after year; with Everly on his arm. Year after year.

Taking Gigi's silence as astonishment, her grandmother went on.

"You could even throw a ball of your own at our Estate," she said. "For whatever occasion you wish. Perhaps one day when you announce an engagement." Her eyes took on a mischievous glint. "To someone worthy. Someone like Lord Davin. I have seen you spend so much time with him and can see how you care."

A bare hint of a smile tugged at Gigi's lips knowing the true amusement of her grandmother's statement that she could not see. Lady Brixton caught the look and felt sure she had won.

"This is all more than I could have imagined," Gigi said when her grandparents remained looking at her.

"We know dear," her grandmother said. "You do not need to give us an answer now. Come, we shall all go down together."

Gigi followed her grandparents out of her room. As they walked Lady Brixton talked of the previous balls and how every year the festival was better than the last. Gigi responded with positive words but gave no opinion of her own. With each step towards the ballroom, she felt her heart grow heavier and heavier until it resided by her shoes.

When they walked through the double doors, Gigi's thoughts were forgotten for a brief moment. Hanging in curves along the balcony, staircase, across windows and from the ceiling were strips of gold fabric, representing the hue as the full moon. The flames from candelabras and lanterns danced off the fabric turning them into strands snatched from the sun.

Everywhere she looked men and women were ornamented with gold. Some wore it woven into their hair or around their necks. Others had it sew into the detail of their dresses, so it looked as if veins of gold were hidden in the gown. Gigi was one of the few who wore a completely gold dress. Though the others' gowns were just as becoming, on their paler complexion it washed out their looks where on Gigi's dark skin it heightened hers.

They were announced and eyes drifted to them, floating over Lord and Lady Brixton and settling on Gigi. She descended the stairs, aware of the men holding themselves back from hurrying to meet her. With the weight of their looks, Gigi felt herself longing to hide away in her room. At the bottom of the stairs, she was saved from a deluge of admirers by her grandmother's words.

"I believe Lord Davin will be looking for you," she said. "I know he must be disappointed with not escorting you here himself. Perhaps you can go find him and give him the first chance at a dance with you." 

Gigi had no doubt that Davin wasn't at all disappointed and had no desire to dance, but she took the escape.

"Thank you," she said. "I will go console him."

The men closest heard the exchange and acted as if they had somewhere else to be. Gigi broke from her grandparents and made for a staircase. If getting to know Davin over the last month had taught her anything, then she knew where he would be.

She was right when she climbed to the balcony and saw him resting against the railing. Sipping from a wine glass, he surveyed the scene. As Gigi approached she saw that he was not really seeing what was below him. His eyes held a distance look and there was a crease in his forehead.

"What thoughts plague you tonight?" she asked.

His gaze flicked to her but returned to the dancing throng.

"None," he said, his voice controlled.

He rested both elbows on the railing as if to close Gigi off. She said nothing to this and let her attention roam over the ballroom, fine with the silence Davin was imposing. They remained that way while voices mingled and laughter taunted their troubled thoughts.

"It's rumored," Davin said, staring down at his hands clutching the glass, "that the Prince will be making an announcement tonight when he gives the closing speech."

Gigi tried to brace herself against the words, already knowing this was the reality, but still, her heart hurt at them.

"Is that so?" she said, strangling her emotions into submission.

"Yes, it is." He emptied his glass in one quick drink.

It was then Gigi focused back on him, seeing the tension in his shoulders and the pain in his eyes. 

"Have you ever told her?" she asked, inspecting the smooth wood beneath her fingers.

Davin's shoulders seemed to deflate.

"No."

The single word held more regret, anguish, and heartbreak than Gigi could have imagined. At the storm of emotions, she found herself at a loss of what to say. Nothing she could think of felt good enough to lift a weight that had sat there for years.

"There is no point," Davin said, his voice sad, his control loosened by drink. He tilted the glass as if wishing to see more wine magically appear. When none did appear, he lowered it. "He is the Prince after all."

The words were barely audible in the din of the ballroom but Gigi heard them.

"Yes," Gigi said, "but you are you."

Davin met her eyes. "You would be surprised with how many people, including my parents, that is not good enough for."

"Yes, but I know a single person that it is."

With a wry smile, Davin looked away. "It doesn't matter. I have already failed before I even tried."

"Do you truly believe that there is not a chance left for you?"

"It is how our world works, Genevieve."

She took a step toward him, his resigned tone angering her though she didn't know why.

"It does not have to be that way," she said. "You have a choice."

"No, I don't. It's already done."

"What is done is my sympathy towards you. Thayer has yet to make the announcement. You have a chance to say something that would change her mind."

Davin made no response, staring bleakly into the empty glass.

"My grandparents plan for me to marry you," she said, wanting to snap him from his moodiness.

It worked, he focused on her.

"I know this," he said.

"Yet you are fine with it? You are fine marrying someone you do not care about."

"I care about you, Genevieve."

She shook her head, her face softening. "Not in the way it matters. Not in the way you do for someone else. Not in the way I do for someone else."

Davin studied her face as if he could see his own pain reflected there. If he saw it, he made no mention of it. He let out a sigh and dropped his head.

"He has everything," he said.

"But it's you that makes her laugh."

The edge of his mouth twitched as if the simple mention of her laugh brought it to his mind. The doors to the ballroom opened as the banging of a staff reverberated off the marble floor. The music stopped and everyone swiveled towards the doorway.

"His Majesty, King Zavier, and Queen Ashlyn."

With the Queen on his arm, the King walked through the doors and stopped on the landing. As always his smile was wide and welcoming, the Queen's quiet, her eyes beaming.

"His royal highness, Prince Thayer."

Thayer appeared beside his mother, his posture authoritative and his suit as immaculate as ever. Along with his father, he wore a cape - trimmed in gold - off one shoulder and held in place with a gold chain across his chest. His mother kept the uniformity with a gold sash across her dress. As one, the crowd before them sank into bows and curtsies.

When Gigi rose, her gaze landed back on Thayer. His eyes were darting through the mass of people in a hurried search. It wasn't until his father started to speak that he raised his gaze to the balcony and met hers. The moment lasted for a brief second, but it made every muscle in his body relax as Gigi felt her heartache.

"Thank you for being with us as we welcome in the new year," the King was saying. "It blesses our family to celebrate with all of you. Now let us eat and enjoy the company of our friends."

The King escorted the Queen down the stairs and began the procession to the dining room. Thayer followed his parents, but part way through stopped by Everly. Joined, the two walked on. Both Gigi and Davin watched the event with the same forlorn expression. When the ballroom began to empty, they broke from their dazes.

"Lady," Davin said, holding out his arm. His voice almost sounded normal, but Gigi could see how his control was taxing.

They made their way to the dining room and took their seats. Claudia, Lavinia, and Viola sat across from them. Davin had barely beckoned to a servant before the three were jumping in with bits of gossip. When the talk turned to Thayer and Everly, Gigi joined, maneuvering them away from the topic by introducing a piece of gossip that wasn't true. The scandal of it distracted them. She glanced at Davin and he gave her a nod of thanks.

Just as Davin had protected Gigi through the first dinner, so she repaid the kindness. Whenever talk swung to Everly in any way, Gigi batted it away with something that was too interesting to pass up. Though the distraction kept her busy through each course, she still found her gaze sliding to Thayer. More often than not his own gaze was waiting for her.

Each time her heart lept, only to fall back to her stomach. This reality did not change the fact that she kept searching his attention out.

By the time the meal was over, Gigi's heart felt bruised.

As Davin escorted her back towards the ballroom, he leaned in.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"You still have time."

They stopped on the edge of the already filling dance floor. Davin's eyes were full of fear but beneath that Gigi thought she saw something almost like hope. But when Thayer stepped forward and pulled Everly into his arms, the look frizzled out. Gigi squeezed Davin's arm, as it trying to bring back what was lost. His only response was a sad look.

"My apologies, Lady," he said, his voice dull. "But I'm afraid I will be ill-mannered and leave you."

Gigi didn't have the chance to say anything for Davin was already diving away into the crowd, grabbing a glass of wine on his way. All Gigi could do was stand there, surprised.

"All alone," a voice said. "I find this a rare occasion."

Gigi found Raif behind her, his teasing smile at the ready.

"I have come to claim that dance you promised me," he said, extending his hand.

At the moment, Gigi felt like she could never dance, but there was something in Raif's careless expression that made her want to steal his unburdened spirit. She placed her hand in his and let him lead her into the storm of twirling men and women. He held her closely, his strength and certainty helping subdue her jumbled thoughts.

As they danced, he studied her as if he could see all that she could never say. He said nothing, somehow understanding his words would not be heard. When the song ended, he stepped back and bowed.

"Know that I am yours tonight, vagabond girl, in whatever regards you may need me," he said.

There was such a note of sincerity in his voice, that Gigi sent him a grateful smile.

The look froze on her face when a voice spoke behind her.

"May I have this next dance, my Lady?"

**********************************************************************

Blazing skies!

Heartbreak is so strong it's even gotten to me! Oh what is this life if you can't be with the one you love!!! *dramatically falls onto the floor* What is even the point of going on anymore?!?

My mind is such a tangle I don't even know what questions to ask you! I guess I can ask how you're feeling, so how are you feeling?

For those of you who said you hated Raif is there at all a chance that your feelings could change?

Oh I do have a challenge for you, maybe it will help distract from the disastrous world we are facing at the moment. Can you comment your favorite scenes from this book or one of my others in all emojis?

I would try but I'm brain is failing me. Also doesn't help that I'm a little sick at the moment. Maybe that's why my heart is aching as well...🤔

Cry, Fall over, Never get up. (Or vote, comment, follow. Yeah this option sound a lot more positive)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 3.4K 22
As I leave, the cold British wind greets me. I zip up my sweater, and start walking home. Thanks to my parents, I don't have a car. "You're too irr...
VICENZO By Walnut

Short Story

1.4M 37.6K 74
Raised in the Mafia, I have known no other life other than cold calculated violence and discipline. A life where brutality is praised and weakness is...
27.8K 834 33
A lovely Girl who cherish by everyone in her home, A little Girl who just turn sixteen, A lovely Girl who never even felt pain but everything change...
347K 6.5K 50
Silence. "HUH?" He laughs aiming the gun at my head. "Does this scare you, babe," he yells with anger. My heart was beating so fast it felt like I wa...