More Issues Than Vogue | ✔️

Von BellaLunaa

*Wattpad Featured Novel* Haley Monroe has moved to the Big Apple and is ready to start her internship at Forw... Mehr

UPDATE 2020
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
END NOTE

Chapter 17

153K 5.4K 1.1K
Von BellaLunaa

Chapter 17

November's article had been sent in and publishing would start next week. It's been quite the chaotic month, what with doing research for my article, editing and piecing together the interview I had with Queenie, and of course, dealing with the stress that was the EPAA Gala. Sarah was right to give me that day off, even if I did end up working with Kevin. I needed the few hours that I had of relaxation to myself.

Now that the winter issue was on full swing, everything was back to chaos. The December issue was the biggest source of advertisement revenue for the year, which meant it must be prestine and Bible-perfect worthy for print.

That also meant working overtime to make sure that the three articles Sarah had assigned were going to be mind-blowing. Sometimes, I forgot working here was a competition between me and the rest of the interns because of how much I loved my work. Writing pieces that allowed me to express creativity and speak my voice was a dream - I couldn't be more lucky.

It's been a week since my day off, and that's also the last time I saw Nate because of how quickly the December issue was taking off. The pace has been put on fast forward and everyone moved as if on high alert. It's the double issue times one-hundred. I'm sure the stress had doubled on him which was proven by the amount of time I've seen him in his office this week, which has only been twice.

To be honest, I found myself inclined to ignore him, walking the other way whenever he was headed in my direction, averting my eyes when we made contact for a quick moment. I would like to blame most of my actions on that phone call he made concerning some contract and his friend Blake. I was put off by the fact that it was so easy for someone with such a tragic history to make that type of offense to a person close to him.

Nate Chester wasn't the perfect man I've always seen him to be. Every god had a flaw.

"Haley, what do you think of these?"

I glanced up from my laptop screen to find Kevin holding two large mirrors. The first was circular with a gold geometric frame and the other, rectangular with a black baroque styled frame.

"Uh," My eyes are confused as to which one I liked better. "Yes?"

He leaned his head forward, expecting me to continue. "Yes, to which one?"

"Both of them are gorgeous," I replied. "Are you choosing between the two?"

"No, it's either both or none. Apparently I can't return only one part of a set, and even if I did, the store only gives back store credit," He rolled his eyes. "If I ever move in with a girl, she's doing the decorating. I have come to a conclusion that interior designing is not my thing."

"You're only now realizing that? I figured that out about myself a long time ago."

"Hey, your apartment looks decent. You've got a little bit of HGTV going on in there. The only thing taking up space in my living room is a couch and a TV," He informed me, setting the mirrors down. "I can't wait for this Gala to be over with. I'll never have to visit a decoration website ever again."

"If you get the promotion and continue working here, you might have too," I reminded him.

"Luckily, it'll work out in your favor because we're aware you're getting that promotion," He shrugged his shoulder.

"Why do you say that?"

He scoffed. "I'm sure I'm not the first person who's told you that you're the best intern here, right?" His face lit up when he sees me blush. "At least you're modest about it Monroe. Nothing to be ashamed of."

"I'm not the best intern here. You're articles are great! I especially loved the piece you wrote about a soldier's surprise Halloween with his family," I responded genuinely.

"Thanks," He seemed flattered. "But I've already started looking for other jobs. There's an opening for an junior associate editor at Sport Illustrated that's got my name written all over it. Even though I'd rather write more important articles than sports, it'd be a nice change. It would challenge my versatility. And it'd be to make more friends."

I frowned at the thought of Kevin working at a different company. I've gotten used to seeing his face, taking our little moments for granted. It was unexpected that a real friendship would have blossomed from this internship, and I'm relieved to have found comfort in him. "I refuse to let you work somewhere else. You belong here with me."

This time, it's his turn to blush and for a second, I lose my breath once I replay what I've just said in my head.

You belong here with me. Great, he probably thinks you're obsessed with him.

"U-uh, I meant-"

"-I'm not going anywhere yet-"

"-didn't really mean here with me-"

"-enjoyed working with you-"

We both fumbled with our words above one another, neither of us really listening to what the other was particularly saying. The atmosphere between us, suddenly crossing the bridge from friendship to possibly more with each awkward movement. I fidgeted in the cushion seat, pulling the ends of my skirt down, as he fixed his glasses, scrunching his nose.

"I'm-uh," He started, picking up the mirrors from the ground, "I'm going to g-get back to work so-"

"Yeah," I blinked. "Uh, I should too."

"I'll uh, see-"

"See you later," I finished for him, smiling.

"Bye," He shrugged a shoulder and smiled before spinning on his heel and walking away.

As he hurriedly tried to make an escape, my eyes traced the outline of his back, down to his bum, and straight through his legs. I couldn't help but admire how broad his shoulders were as his muscles holding up the heavy mirrors, and the way it makes him flex his butt with each step he takes.

What are you doing, Haley?

"Good morning," Nate appeared out of nowhere.

"Hey," I greeted back, pretending to be busy with what was on my screen.

"You owe me for the coat closet," He whispered lowly as he brushed past my desk to enter his office.

I squeezed my eyes shut.

Seriously, what are you doing, Haley?

________________________________

Later that day, I went to the office lounge since I smartly decided to save money and bring the pasta I had cooked last night. This counted as the first time I'd be interacting with a majority of the interns, even the office, in awhile. It also served as the longest I've had stayed in the building. Usually, I was out working decorations, doing research, or getting food out and about on the streets of Manhattan, but today, we've finalized all the decorations for the Gala, I'll be starting research for the double issue tomorrow, and my lunch for the day was taken care of.

"Well, well, well!" A jolly deep voice rang through the lounge.

I spun around and smiled. "Tony!"

"What's going on, girl?" He said, bringing me in for a tight squeeze. "It's been awhile. Did you get a new haircut?"

I laughed and tugged the ends of my locks. "I actually think it's grown since the last time you've seen me."

"You know I've been around women too long when I start noticing things like their hairstyles," He shook his head. "God save me - I can't wait until this internship is over."

"You're not having a good time?" I asked, taking my hot pasta out of the microwave. He sat at one of the tables near the window and I joined him.

"The work is dope, but imagine being stuck with Chelsea every goddamn day," He rolled his eyes and whipped out a sandwich from a brown paper bag. I've noticed he's trimmed the beard, appearing more clean shaven and sophisticated. It's a handsome look on him.

"I don't want to imagine that tragedy and I'm sorry you have to live through it," I gave him a sympathetic pat on the hand across the table. "Your articles outshine hers by ten thousand watts. She's got nothing on you."

"I think so too! But for some reason, everyone in our department worships her and it's totally sexist," He angrily bit into the sandwich. "Her article on that resort and spa in Malibu? Boring," He singsonged.

"Agreed. Palm trees, relaxing pool, and sunshine? Uh, hello, it's California. You can find all three anywhere you go," I responded knowingly.

"Oh yeah, I forget you're a Cali girl," He said. "You're adjusting to the city well, Monroe. Taking the magazine by storm, you're even dressing better. That skirt looks great on you."

"Thanks," I answered.

"Okay, please stop me before I grow a vagina by the end of the day," He sighed, cupping his forehead in his palm. "If I compliment another outfit today, I might go mute."

I laughed loudly. "Complimenting should be getting you the girls!"

"Not around here! They all think I'm gay," He widened his eyes. "Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it couldn't be further from the truth."

"Is that so?" Another voice chirped in and Tony's face lights up.

"Bess!" He pulled a chair from the next table over for her without even getting up from his seat. "Come join the party!"

Bessa giggled and turned to me. "Is it my imagination, or is he really happy to see me?"

Tony looked hurt. "I'm always happy to see you guys. Anyone other than Chelsea."

"I hear my name."

The three of us turned to the entrance and the blonde-headed girl that struck a nerve in me my first day, stepped in with her four inch heels and mini skirt. Her hair had grown longer and she'd discovered the beauty of a push-up bra. I couldn't say I was particularly relieved to see her, but it was actually nice to see a familiar face.

"Hi Chelsea," I waved as she smirked and strode past our table to the fridge.

"I hear you have set everything with the decorations for the Gala," She spoke with her back turned towards us as she threw a container of food into the microwave. "Congrats."

The three of us are stricken as this is the nicest thing she's ever said to any of us. "Uh, thanks."

"I finished the invitations as well - although unlike all of you, I was able to tackle the task on my own," She said.

I should have expected a backhanded comment was going to come from that compliment. "Of course."

"Did you want to see pictures?" She spun around and flashed her phone in our faces, as if she'd been waiting for the opportunity her whole life.

I grabbed it out of her hand and am actually impressed by what I see. There's black and gold lace that surrounds the delicate cream colored paper that was imprinted with the words inviting a special person to the event. Even the envelopes which come with individual ribbons, looks eloquent.

"Wow," I couldn't deny my initial reaction. "It looks amazing."

"Let me see," Tony grabbed the phone from me. I could tell he was trying hard to resist the urge to widen his eyes because he too, was impressed. But he remained convincing with a straight face.

"Eh, it looks alright," He shrugged.

"Like I need a man's opinion to validate my work," Chelsea rolled her eyes. "I know the invitations are amazing and they've already been sent out so everyone knows exactly who did that beautiful work."

"Congratulations, you know how to make invitations. Remind me to hire you for my wedding," Tony rolled his eyes while me and Bessa giggled.

Chelsea doesn't even seem offended by this. "You couldn't afford me."

Tony's snorted.

"Anyway, as much as I love flaunting my success around you guys, I have work to get to and I'm not going to let a lunch break interrupt me," She grabbed her food once the microwave beeped. We were happy to see her and the enlarged ego she carried walk out the door but before she could fully step out of the lounge, she paused and turned her head to me.

"And Haley, if I were you, I would really watch who you choose to have relationships with here in the office," She warned viciously. It caused my veins to run ice cold and Bessa sharply whipped her head at me. "You never know who's watching."

"Wh-what are you talking about?" My breathing suddenly felt heavy.

"You can't hide your office affair for too long," Chelsea winked.

"Your what?" Tony gaped at me.

"Excuse me?" I said, feeling lightheaded. It was not possible Chelsea could have found out about me and Nate. We've kept everything professional here and were sure to keep it out of the office. Could we have slipped up somehow?

Blake! What if he told her everything?

She smiled devilishly. "You know, your relationship. With...Kevin?"

I heard Bessa let out an audible sigh of relief while my heart rested easy within my beating chest.

"She's not with Kevin," Tony quickly defended.

"Well, then maybe another office relationship," Chelsea doesn't keep her eyes off me. "Either way, watch your back. You never know what secrets might slip up."

My body tensed as Bessa and I share a worried glance. I felt as if I was in high school and the popular girl knew all my fears, ready to expose them at her will.

"I'm getting that editor spot," She claimed before she exiting the room.

I took in a sharp breath. "I hope you do."

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

564K 25K 117
The Many Dates of Indigo is now published as a Paperback, and E-book with W by Wattpad Books! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Wattpad Or...