Twice Born

By Hope-Adon

Bree and Eve share one body, but they are two girls as different as day and night. Eve is secretive and unpre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 3

13.4K 438 30
By Hope-Adon

Pain spears me between my shoulder blades, jerking me out of sleep. I sit up from the floor and look around me. To my left and right are piles of blankets, tangled around the bodies of half a dozen sleeping girls. No one moves. Any one of them could have kicked me in their sleep.

Huddling together is great for keeping warm, not so great for my bones.

I roll up my bedding, careful not to disturb the girls as I tuck it into a corner of an old oak wardrobe. Waking up early doesn’t bother me. It released me from my nightmare, the memory of the man’s death as he pleaded and bargained for his life. The memories of all of those Eve and I have encountered before him.

One of these days, I might reach the end of my tolerance and lose my mind. And then Eve will be the only one left.

Perhaps that’s her goal.

I grab my clothes, which I hung on the wardrobe’s doors when I left the balcony last night. They’re still a little damp and cold. I take them anyway. The sooner I can return Daniel’s clothes, the sooner I’ll stop feeling guilty about taking advantage of his hospitality.

The rest of the house is quiet as I tiptoe outside, carrying two empty buckets. The clouds dispersed overnight, but spring’s chill still lingers in the air. Eve isn’t here, and it’s nice to be alone inside my head. It’s also terrifying, walking through these streets all by myself.

Eve might be unnaturally strong and fast, but the only thing I have is the power to change the form of things. And that only works if I hold still and concentrate. My power won’t be of much use if someone ambushes me.

When I reach the well, a line of people has already formed. I wait my turn behind a middle-aged woman in a faded brown dress. She glances back at me with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. Sentiment I’ve come to expect from Belvians, especially those living in the rougher neighborhoods in Heiden District. Since the plague, times have been hard here. These people have learned to survive by building walls around themselves.

I seem to fit in perfectly.

An hour later I’m home again. I freshen up in the washroom, using only enough water from the first bucket to clean up. Soon as I slip back into my own clothes, I fold Daniel’s things and head to his room.

He’s still asleep when I take a peek inside. One of the little boys shares the bed with him. Daniel lies on his side, one arm tucked beneath his pillow. His brown hair is ruffled, and his shoulders move with each breath. It’s such an intimate thing, this vulnerability when he’s sleeping. I have to force myself to look away.

I walk over to his bed and place his clothes in a neat pile on the floor. As I turn to leave, he stirs. His eyes open, settling on me when they regain focus. I freeze in place.

“What is it?” he asks, voice rough from sleep.

I take a step backward. This was his first day off since I joined this shelter, perhaps even long before then. And I’m ruining it. “I was returning your things. I’m sorry for waking you.”

The blanket falls to his waist when he sits up, revealing more of his torso. His chest is well-defined under his cotton undershirt, the muscles on his bare arms and shoulders prominent. I force my gaze on his face, even though every part of me wants a second—a third—look.

One thing is clear. I can no longer blame Eve for these feelings I have around him.

“Not your fault,” he says, yawning. “I’m used to getting up much earlier than this.”

“Well, I should—”

“Are you busy today?”

The question catches me off guard. “No.” Which isn’t exactly true. I have to be far away from the shelter when Eve emerges this evening. Otherwise the Trackers will come right for us. “I’m free until sundown.”

A grin crosses his face and for a moment, he looks completely unguarded and playful. “Maybe you’ll give me your day instead.”

Unable to hold his gaze, I look down at the boy sleeping next to him. Daniel is different today. Could a single day off have relaxed him so much?

Not that I mind seeing him this way. Far from it. “I’ll be here during the day. Did you need my help with something?” I don’t want to assume he wants anything more.

“I wanted to show you around the island. Take you out for lunch.” He clears his throat. “My way of thanking you for what you did last night.”

I try to mask my nervousness with a joke. “Do you thank everyone this way?”

“Not everyone,” someone says behind me. “In fact, I can’t say he’s ever done this before.”

Eileen’s blond head pokes into the room. She wears an impish smile, her ocean-blue eyes twinkling as usual. “Don’t look at me like that, boss. Just here to announce that Lord Henderson has arrived and demands your immediate presence.”

Her tone is mocking. Daniel sighs and gets out of bed. “Wake the children and take the older ones out of the back door. I can’t have too many people home in case he decides to charge us more. Did you send Robbie and Tobin off to the market yet?”

“Aye, captain.”

I hide a smile.

“Good. I don’t want Tobin anywhere near the house right now. What about Royce? Did he get water from the well?”

“He’s still asleep.” Seeing the frown on his face, Eileen rushes on. “Someone already grabbed a bucket, so you can use that. I’ll wake him now.”

I hold my breath, waiting for him to ask who got the water. As much as I want to contribute, I don’t want Daniel thanking me for every little thing. Even if I did something to earn it this time.

He seems to decide there’re more important things to address. “Keep Henderson entertained until I come down.” He shakes his head. “On second thought, don’t do anything until I get there.”

She pretends to look wounded. “I love how much confidence you have in me after all these years, Danny.”

That evokes a smile out of him. I keep silent, feeling like I’m intruding on something private. Daniel and Eileen have been friends since they were young. They grew up on the streets together, until he earned enough money to put a roof over their heads. I’ve seen the way they act with each other. The undeniable closeness.  

It never bothered me before, but now I feel very much like an outsider. Daniel said he hasn’t found the right person yet. It doesn’t mean he has no romantic involvements with anyone right now.

“Almost forgot—we have a new tenant,” she says. “He’s waiting downstairs.”

“How old?” he asks.

“About our age.”

He nods. “Good. He can earn his keep. Make sure he doesn’t poke around until I get there.”

Eileen leaves me alone with Daniel.

“I’m going to head out of the back door with others,” I say.

I turn to leave when he calls my name. “You don’t have to go. You can wait for me downstairs while I get ready.”

“Why aren’t you herding me off with the rest? Because I gave you money?” I try to hide my disappointment. Is every nice thing he does for me going to result from that?

Daniel holds my gaze. “Because I want you here.”

His straightforwardness is both shocking and exhilarating. I manage a nod and hurry downstairs before he realizes I have no idea how to respond to that.

Eileen is busy ushering the older children out of the door. “Doyle, leave the blanket behind—I know it’s cold but you’ll get mud on it and Daniel will be angry at you.” She turns to the girl beside her. “Where’s your coat? You know how cold it is outside!”

Royce, a brown-skinned eighteen-year-old with a lanky build and a sleepy expression helps tidy up the sitting room. I start to join him and notice the young man leaning against the wall across the room. He observes the bustle with a slight smile on his face.

He stands shorter and leaner than Daniel, his short blond hair several shades darker than Eileen’s. His clothing draws my attention. Trousers, leather boots, a tight leather vest fitted over a long-sleeved white shirt, and a wide belt. No coat.

The clothes aren’t ragged or mismatched like those the rest of us are wearing. He seems well-off. Why is he interested in joining the shelter?

As I walk into the middle of the sitting room, his eyes shift in my direction. The smile drops off his lips. I look away and focus on helping Royce clear the room of the clothes and blankets strewn across the worn-out cushions and brightly colored carpets. But the whole time, I feel his gaze on me.

The room is tidy by the time Daniel comes downstairs. He trades quick words with Eileen, glances around distractedly, and heads out of the front door. As soon as he’s gone, the newcomer approaches me.

“I know you from somewhere.”

I know I would’ve remembered him if we met. His green eyes are too piercing. I can almost hear Eve remarking on how handsome he is.

“I don’t think so,” I say, wishing for her ability to talk her way out of anything.

“You were at the Pit the other night, weren’t you?”

Eileen overhears his remark and glances back at us, startled. I don’t blame her. The Pit, a seedy tavern not far from here, isn’t the sort of place decent folk spend their time. It is, however, the reason I’m here in Belveer. A tip from someone Eve and I met in Rakoshan led us to believe captured relatives of Twice Born south of Naraye might be held on the island. He directed us to a tavern known to be frequented by Twice Born. We didn’t find any there.

“You’ve mistaken me for someone else,” I say.

“It’s possible.” He holds out his hand. “I’m Tristan.”

“Bree.” I shake his hand. It’s warm and firm, yet smooth. With all of his muscles, he hasn’t done much work in his life. And judging by his accent, he’s a northerner. Like me. He’s come a long way from home.

I try to pull away, but he holds onto my hand longer than I find appropriate. “Bree.” My name is a whisper on his lips. “Brianna, is it?”

I nod, but it’s a lie. My given name is Sabrina.

“It’s a beautiful name.” The volume of his voice has dropped a notch. “It suits you well.”

I don’t understand his interest in me. It can’t be attraction, not when I’m wearing such ratty old clothes and my damp hair is a messy curtain around my face. Nor do I behave in a way that would interest a man.

Which is why his attention unsettles me. I don’t know what to do with it.

The front door opens. I step away from him, relieved to see Daniel. A burly man wearing a long black coat and a hat enters after him. He takes off the hat and shakes it, spraying water on the floor. “Blast it, boy, you’ve kept me waiting long enough.”

“A little drizzle won’t kill you, Henderson.”

I’m surprised at this. I never expected Daniel to grovel at anyone’s feet, but his response is hostile, not words I’d expect from someone who’s at risk of being kicked out of his home.

Even stranger, Henderson doesn’t take offense. Instead he glances around, his hooded black eyes assessing the house. “You wouldn’t have any tea in this dump, would you?”

“No.” Daniel stands with his arms crossed, watching every move the man makes. “Can we hurry this up? I have more important things to do.”

“Still a fisherman, are you? Such a waste. Maxwell’s offer still stands, boy. Work for him and you will make enough money to buy your own house—one much better than this.” Henderson’s lips twist into a sneer as he looks around at those of us still in the room. “You won’t have to put up with these filthy rats any longer.”

Behind me, Tristan chuckles. I wonder whom he’s laughing at—us, or this pompous man with the silly goatee.

Daniel doesn’t answer Henderson. The two stare at one another for a long moment, until Henderson snaps, “Well? Where is it?”

He reaches into his pocket and hands the man the gold piece. Henderson barks a laugh. “Isn’t this interesting? And how did you get your hands on it, Daniel?”

“It’s not your concern.” Daniel sounds calm but every muscle in his body is coiled tightly. I’m intrigued by what’s happening. “You got what you came for.”

“Perhaps there’s more to you than we realized.” The man pockets the coin. “I will see you in a month. And I’ll be sure to let Maxwell know that you are doing well.”

Chuckling to himself, he leaves. Daniel stands in place for a while, his arms stiff at his sides and his eyes rooted to the closed door. He drags in a deep breath and exhales it before turning to us.

Eileen returned to the house while he and Henderson spoke. She hurries over to his side. “Is everything all right?” 

“You know Henderson,” Daniel says. “I’ve learned not to listen to a word he says.”

“Good.” Eileen’s smile seems forced. She doesn’t believe Henderson hasn’t gotten to him. And with good reason; the tension has returned to his shoulders.

“Can you handle things here for a few hours?”

She nods. “I’ll get the children.”

I’m surprised that Daniel still wants to go. Or maybe I shouldn’t be. It’s clear he’s dealing with a lot, and he wears the expression of someone who needs to get away from it.

“Are you going to work, Daniel?” asks a young girl.

He looks down and ruffles her wispy brown hair. “Not today. I’m going to show Bree around Belveer, but I’ll be back in no time.”

“What about me?” Tristan asks.

Daniel turns to him. “Who are you?”

“Tristan,” Eileen supplies. “He says he left Jayth to start a life in Belveer.”

Like I suspected, he’s from the north. Jayth is close to Sandir, my home. I visited it years ago. Beautiful woodlands and rolling green hills. And home to King Daemus. I wasn’t permitted to enter the gates of his palace, but it was a magnificent sight even from the distance.

Daniel scrutinizes him, but Tristan isn’t bothered. He has one thumb hooked to his belt, his stance relaxed—maybe even arrogant.

“Do you work?” Daniel asks.

The newcomer smirks. “I wouldn’t be here if I had work, would I?”

It’s clear by the way he says here that he’s not complimenting the shelter. I expect Daniel to get angry, but he says, “You’ll have to pull your weight here. We expect the older occupants to contribute some money.”

Tristan reaches into his pocket and pulls out a silver piece. He flicks it in Daniel’s direction. It lands at his feet. “I’m covered for the week, then,” he says with a cocky grin.

Daniel bends down and pockets the coin. “We can leave now, Bree.”

“Why don’t you take me along, too?” Tristan asks. “I could use the tour.”

“No.”

Tristan smiles again. “Come now, show a little hospitality.”

It’s clear he’s only doing this to goad Daniel. So I’m not all that surprised when Daniel says, “How about no hospitality?” He takes out the coin and tosses it back to Tristan. “You’re not welcome here.”

Tristan catches the coin. “I was only teasing.”

“Royce, show him to the door.”

He backs away from Royce. “What’s your problem? Can’t you take a harmless joke?”

 “Judging by your clothes and your attitude, you don’t seem to need this shelter. Why would I waste space on you when there are children out there I could be helping?”

“You don’t think I need help because I don’t look needy?  Maybe I have some pride.”

Daniel shakes his head. “There’s no room for pride in Belveer. You’re free to come back when you’re desperate enough, but right now I’d like you to leave.”

Now there’s outright anger on Tristan’s face. He jerks open his vest and tugs off his shirt, revealing taut muscles. I can’t hold back a gasp. Puckered scars run all over his arms and back. “My father did this to me,” he says. “After years of this treatment, I decided I had enough. Is that desperate enough for you?”

Daniel is silent for a long moment. His voice gentles when he says, “I’m sorry. At least you have a home. You’re better off with your family.”

Tristan grabs his shirt and pulls it on. Some of the children race into the house, shouting and laughing. Unaware of the tension coiling through the air. As Daniel turns away from Tristan, I can’t keep silent. I can’t stop thinking of what sort of evil man would do this to his own son.

“Give him another chance,” I say, approaching Daniel. “Please.”

He bends close to my ear. “I know what I’m doing seems cruel, but I’ve seen his kind before and it never ends well. I have to do what’s best to protect us.”

It sends a thrill through me, hearing that us. I’ve never been part of a collective before. I’ve never belonged anywhere, not since my parents died.

That might be why I can’t just let this go. Maybe Tristan needs a family as much as I do.

“He doesn’t seem like an easy person to deal with, but it’s clear he’s suffered enough,” I whisper back. “No one should ever have to go back to a father who beats him like that.”

“He doesn’t know the first thing about surviving in Belveer. I’m doing him a favor by taking him off the streets.”

“Is that the real reason you’re turning him away?”

Daniel looks over my shoulder at Tristan, his eyebrows pulled together. “I don’t trust him. Something isn’t right about him.”

“Give him a chance,” I repeat. I know I’m pushing too hard, overstepping my boundaries. But something about Daniel tells me it’ll be all right to do so. He won’t be angry with me for expressing my thoughts.

Despite my confidence, I’m hit by a strong wave of relief when his expression softens. He looks down at me, a smile on his lips. His eyes are brown in daylight, the color of earth. The color of stability and strength. “I’m not sure I can say no to you.”

I’m smiling as he steps past me. “You can stay,” he says to Tristan. “But the moment you cause any problems, I want you gone.”

“Fair enough,” Tristan says.

“I’m going to grab my coat,” Daniel tells me as he heads for the stairs.

When he’s gone, Tristan walks over and whispers, “Thanks for helping me out, Bree. Let me know if I can make it up to you.”

Frowning, I step away. “Just follow the rules like Daniel asked. That’s all I want from you.”

“Don’t worry about me. I’m good at following rules like an obedient little sheep.”

I don’t respond as I step outside the house, wondering if I did the right thing. Because Daniel was right. Tristan isn’t going to be easy to deal with. And the last thing I need right now is to have more complications in my life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 8.1K 31
❇ Book Two ❇ ♥ The Rejected Mate Series ♥ ◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼ Skylar Hunter has had a twist...
131K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...
338K 7.7K 23
All that Collin Ace ever wanted was... well, nothing. He already had it all. The money, the power, the girls...Everything. All that Avril Lunnah eve...
4.4K 197 26
~the supernatural hunters~ (NOT A SUPERNATURAL FAN FIC) Book 1 School and teachers we deal with by day Werewolfs and vampires we deal with by night...