A Persistent Lover

By elizpua

The gang has failed to kill Klaus and Caroline decides she needs to get out of Mystic Falls. She hardly suspe... More

Off to London
Two Can Play the Game
The First Date Part 1
The First Date Part 2
Of Dreams and Reality
Patience is a Virtue
Signs of Love
So Beautiful
All For the First Time
Another Persistent Lover
Kisses and Tears
And So It Begins
The Vampire's Weakness
Confessions
The Werewolf
A Sacrifice
In Your Arms
Home Sweet Home
Love and Hardships
Apologies
Dates and Pranks
Off to Rome
One Year later

Soulmates

5.2K 152 71
By elizpua

Bonnie's eyes narrowed.

"My assistance?" she questioned trying to sound brave. If her suspicions were correct, this man was of them.

"I understand this is very sudden, but it is of the utmost importance. It has to do with your friend, Caroline."

"Caroline? How do you..." Bonnie paused. Caroline did mention something about a Dominic over the phone. She had been more amazed at the Caroline and Klaus parts of the story to listen to anything else.

"I met her while Niklaus was giving her a tour of Paris. My maker, Lucy, wants Caroline dead. I have gotten reports from his brother Elijah that Lucy has most likely kidnapped Niklaus. And knowing Caroline, I fear it may not be a very long time before Caroline goes after him. Lucy, however, is very difficult to destroy. She is protected by a witch's spell, allowing no creature to kill her. I acquire your assistance, Miss Bennett, to help me defeat Lucy and secure Caroline's safety."

Bonnie was left speechless for a moment before asking, "And how the hell am I going kill Lucy? And how can I even trust you?"

"You and I both have a common interest," replied Dominic smoothly. "Caroline. I wish for her to live freely and happily without any danger. And I believe I assume correctly that you would not wish to see your best friend die?"

"I would do anything for Caroline," hissed Bonnie, growing angry at Dominic's smirk.

"Now, are you going to invite me in? We have much to discuss."

"Absolutely not!" Bonnie invaded the doorway, even though she knew perfectly well that he could not come in.

"Alright then. I will need you to find your Grimoire and meet me on your porch," he replied and moved towards the sitting area in front of her house.

Bonnie growled and slammed the door. In no way had she seen this coming. She loved Caroline, but her guy problems needed to stay away from her. Now they had literally flown across the country to her door, pulling her straight into the thick of it. Seeing that she really had no choice as the Dominic guy looked like he really had no intention of leaving, she decided to cooperate.

She found the Grimoire opened on her desk, where she had been trying to find ways to cheat on her homework and went out on the porch.

She roughly sat down next to the black eyed vampire, who simply grabbed the Grimoire from her and began to flip the pages.

"Now Miss Bennet...have you ever recalled a Ruth from your studies in this book?"

That name again. "Well...yes I think so. I think she was in my family tree...somewhere way up top."

Dominic nodded, seeming impressed. "Very good. Ruth does happen to be one of your ancestors. She also happens to be the reason why we cannot destroy Lucy."

She gave him a confused look as he handed her the book, pointing at Ruth's name near the top of the page.

"Your ancestor Ruth and my maker Lucy were very good friends. Lucy was turned into a vampire by Mikael into order to seduce Niklaus and kill him. She, however, fell in love with him and Mikael was forced to kill her. Your ancestor Ruth sacrificed herself to save Lucy, but in doing so put a protection spell on Lucy so strong that nothing could kill her. Now, Lucy is using Ruth's lineage as her method of attack in order to..."

Bonnie rose up quickly. "Just...stop! Let me process this for a moment!"

She paced back and forth as Dominic watched patiently for her to calm down.

"Okay, so let me get this straight. So Ruth is my ancestor, who put a protection spell on Lucy, who was turned into a vampire by Mikael and fell in love with Klaus, who is now with Caroline, who is in danger of being killed by Lucy because Lucy has jealousy issues...did I get it all."

Dominic stared in a daze at her until he caught up. "...yes....yes I believe you do."

"Oh my god...." Bonnie sat down again, hands holding her head. She was never going to get a break, was she?

After a moment's silence, she raised her head. "And how am I going to kill Lucy...?"

"You are of the lineage of Ruth and of the last to have not been found by Lucy. You are powerful enough to find a way." He reclined his head toward his car. "I have collected many books of the witches for you to look at, though I highly doubt you will need any of them...having this one." He picked up the Grimorie for emphasis.

He continued on. "We do not have much time. I think we should leave for Athens sometime tomorrow. By that time I believe you will be..."

"Wait, I'm going to Athens?"

"Why, yes did you not agree to help Caroline and destroy Lucy?" Dominic gave her a puzzled expression.

"I did, I guess I just didn't..."

"Bonnie!"

Both turned to see the face of Kol Mikaelson standing at Bonnie's steps. He held a flower in his hands and his face appeared threatening.

"Is this man bothering you, Bonnie?" he asked glaring at Dominic.

Bonnie inwardly moaned. He could not have picked a worse time. She decided to ignore his question.

"What's that for?" she looked at the flower

Kol faintly blushed and quickly tucked the flower into his coat. "It's nothing."

Dominic rose up. "Are you of relation to Niklaus Mikaelson?"

Kol cocked his head to the side. "He is my brother. Why do you ask?"

Dominic sat down and looked at the two people beside him. "Well it looks like I will have to be repeating myself today"

"Caroline..."

Caroline opened her eyes to blinding light. Her eyes, however, looked up to behold not a sun, but a bright sky of complete white.

"Caroline..."

She turned her face to see him walking towards her, a soft smile on his face. He wore an array of white clothing and no shoes. She sighed at how beautiful he looked.

She simply gazed at him until he stood over her, his body blocking out the brightness. He held out a hand to her and without question she grasped it and stood.

She looked about her. They stood in what looked like a long white hallway. Tall white pillars ran along the edges of the room, so enormous that Caroline felt like a dwarf.

She finally took in her white dress, softly flowing down her body like that of bride's. Her hair fell down in curls to her legs, perfectly smooth like an angel's.

So in awe of the changes in her looks, she did not realize Klaus was leading her off down the hallway.

"Klaus...where are we?" She spoke in a whisper, but her voice rebounded off of the walls, echoing a few times back.

"We are here," he answered. And in a way, that made sense.

He stopped suddenly and drew her into his arms, putting his face into her hair.

"God, I miss you," he whispered huskily and a shiver swept through Caroline.

"If you miss me so much, why not come to me? Why not allow me to come to you?"

"Oh sweetheart, you know why," he chuckled, planting a light kiss on her nose. "You are in danger....and nothing must harm my Caroline."

"I miss you too," she smiled and kissed him back, allowing him to pull her even closer to his warm body.

"This is a dream?" she asked as his hands wove through her hair.

"A very good dream," he answered.

They stayed wrapped in each other's arms for what seemed like hours. Each was content with the sound of the other's breath.

"She will not make me forget you..." his voice broke the silence.

Caroline pulled back to stare at him. His eyes looked off into the distance, clouding over.

"What do you mean?"

Klaus turned back to look at her, but this time she detected a hint of worry and also of hate.

"Klaus?"

A sudden breeze drifted through the room. It was very subtle, but Caroline felt Klaus stiffen as the breeze drifted through.

"She's coming," he whispered in anger.

"Klaus, what are talking about?" Caroline asked more persistently.

He cupped her face and kissed her frantically, hushing her for a good few moments before he put his lips to her ear.

"Find Elijah. He will know what to do. I promise you, Caroline, this time I won't fail you. Not like before. She thinks she has won, but she is wrong."

"Klaus..please what..." She was cut off by a sudden gust of wind, pulling her back from Klaus. Her eyesight was suddenly becoming blurry, her vision quickly reducing to nothingness.

"I promise, Caroline," was the last she heard before utter darkness to over.

Caroline gasped awake, clenching her chest. Her face was stained with tears and she looked up to see Rebekah looking down at her with complete worry.

"Caroline?"

Caroline took a moment to take a few deep breaths, before she clenched Rebekah's arm.

"Klaus is in trouble. We have to go back."

Elijah stood across the street from the building he had been stalking for the last few days. The power of witches vibrated strongly of off it, and only a few people ever went in and out...all of them looked oddly similar.

He walked away, picking up his cell and dialing Dominic.

"It's been two days," was his greeting.

"We have one more flight connection and we will be there. I hope you do not mind that I brought along your brother."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Yes, he seemed very much adamant about coming to help. And he seems to be enjoying himself...although the same could not be for Bonnie..."

"Bonnie? Bonnie Bennet?" Elijah stopped walking, shock forcing him to halt.

"Ah yes, I believe I forgot that minor detail. Bonnie is the witch we need. She is perfectly capable of killing Lucy. She's been studying her Grimoire the whole trip here plus she already has had her taste of witchery to know what is coming at her."

Elijah seethed through the phone. "I believe you should have thought more carefully before choosing Caroline's best friend to perform this task..."

"That I did, Elijah. If I may be so bold to say, I believe that Bonnie's connection to Caroline will make this spell easier for her. I will call when we are in Athens."

The phone clicked and Elijah was about to close it when it began to vibrate again.

"Rebekah?" he questioned irritably into the phone.

"Hello brother. Caroline and I have just arrived at the airport, if you would be so good as to pick us up?"

Elijah cursed. "Rebekah Mikaelson, how clear did we make it to you to stay where you are?"

"And how clear did I make it to you that I want no lies. Tell me....is Nik all safe and sound as you are?"

Elijah's hesitation sold him out.

"Caroline's sure that Lucy has Klaus. Is this true, Elijah?"

Elijah heard shuffling on the phone before he heard Caroline's sweet voice. "Elijah....please?"

Her sad voice worked him over and he explained everything he knew. "Dominic has Bonnie and Kol...they should be here sometime today."

Caroline stayed silent. Elijah thought she was gone before he heard muttering, "She's going to hate me so much..."

He heard more shuffling and Rebekah was back on the phone. "Now, will you pick us up?"

"Be there in 20 minutes."

An hour and 20 minutes later, Elijah, Rebekah, and Caroline sat on a bench. Elijah twisted his ring, while Caroline tapped her foot...Rebekah filed her nails. Dominic, Kol, and Bonnie were supposed to meet them here.

"Do you know where he is..." Caroline asked...once again rubbing her chest. The pain was coming more frequently.

"I believe so," Elijah answered softly. "But I am not positive. Dominic and I both agree that Niklaus was taken by Lucy...with the help of witches. The structure I found stunk with the spell of magic. It makes sense...but again we must wait."

There was silence again...until all three heard the very distinctive voice of Kol Mikaelson.

"Bonnie, have a little fun darling! Isn't this your first time in Europe? And lucky you, you have me here to show you around!"

"Caroline and your brother are in danger, you idiot! Does it look like I want to snap photos of the Parthenon?"

"I would say it looks like you need a break from all this witch studying. It's wrinkling up your lovely face."

They say Bonnie round the corner with a growl. Kol followed close behind her with a smirk and Dominic took up the rear, looking very irritated.

When they got close to the bench, the trio sitting there rose up.

"Bonnie!" Caroline raced to Bonnie and pulled her into a tight hug. Bonnie hugged her back, smiling happily and suddenly realizing just how much she had missed her.

"Please tell me you're not mad at me anymore..."

Bonnie pulled back and lightly patted Caroline's cheek. "I'll be mad later."

"Sister...brother...I'm glad to see you are well and out of harm's way."

"Oh admit it, you missed us," Rebekah shoved him playfully.

Elijah turned to Dominic. "We must act soon. May I show you where I believe Lucy is keeping him?"

"Lead the way," Dominic replied. His gaze on the smiling Caroline.

"Why did you decide to help?"

Caroline and Bonnie walked side by side on the sidewalk. Elijah and Dominic led and Rebekah and Kol took up the end.

"You're my best friend," Bonnie answered as if it was obvious.

"But Klaus....you hate him."

"Yes, I still do. I've decided not to think about that until after this is all over."

Caroline nodded. It pained her that her friend might possibly never understand her and Klaus. But at least Bonnie would help and continue to be the loyal friend that she was.

They soon arrived at a tall building, isolated away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Elijah and Dominic stopped at the end of the sidewalk. "This is it," Elijah spoke.

"She's here..." Dominic whispered. He could feel the energy sweeping from the building.

"So what are we waiting for? Let's go in!" Rebekah made a move to cross the street, but Dominic pulled her back.

"Not so fast. We need a plan."

"I agree," Bonnie said. "I don't think I can really do anything unless we really know what we are doing."

Caroline began to nod before she screamed out in pain, holding her chest in pain.

Bonnie and Dominic were by her side in an instant, Dominic holding her up.

"Caroline, what is it?" Dominic soothed her hair.

"Klaus...." She muttered. "He needs me...." and in a flash she was racing into the building.

As she ran into the building, she heard a Klaus' roar of pain. Following the sound, she found herself running into a large red room.

She halted. The pain could not have hurt more. And now she saw why.

Klaus was withering on the floor, his hand on his chest, bellowing. He turned in Caroline's direction, and froze.

"Caroline...." He breathed.

In seconds, Caroline was in his arms. Tears of happiness spilled from her eyes as she felt Klaus' lips graze her cheeks, her eyes, her lips. The feeling of relief....comfort...love...they filled her whole body and soul. God, if she ever left him again, she swore she would die.

"I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry," she said between kisses. Klaus suddenly pulled back, gazing at her.

"I love you," he said. His voice broke from the pain still eating away at him, but he could not go another day without her knowing.

More tears left Caroline's eyes as she smiled in absolute happiness. She bestowed another long kiss before she pulled back to respond.

"Say it again," she whispered.

"I love you," his hands rubbed her back as she sobbed on his shoulder. Those three words had never meant so much. No one could love her more than this man, this beautiful messed up man, and screw anyone who dared come between them.

He pulled back suddenly, looking her dead in the eye.

"You must leave Caroline. I don't know how you found me, but you must leave. Lucy will kill you."

"No! Not without you!" she grasped onto him, hugging around his body like a magnet. "I'm not leaving you ever again."

He stood up shaking, the pain now slowly subsiding. He had to get Caroline out of her before the witches started their spell again.

"Caroline, do not force me to make you go..."

She hugged him again and he closed his eyes, smelling her rose-scented hair. It was now or never.

But compelling her never came. For he opened his eyes and saw Lucy standing directly behind Caroline with a stake.

"NO!" he yelled, just as Lucy drove the stake into Caroline's back.

Caroline stumbled backwards with a shriek of pain, looking at Klaus with fading eyes.

"Klaus..." she mumbled before collapsing to the floor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 735 31
AU starting at Caroline's Birthday. Klaus saves Caroline to get his plans in motion. She was supposed to be nothing but a means to an end. But someth...
425K 11.1K 44
Caroline regrets the way she treated Klaus, and now she is given a second chance to make things right. Set after the season three finale. Warning: SL...
61.1K 1.7K 20
"Please. Don't do this." "This isn't our fault, Mikaelson. You brought this upon yourself. Now, you're going to pay with the girl you love most in t...
165K 5.2K 45
Amidst the unsuccessful search for the cure and difficult relationships, an unexpected event occurs. What happens when Bonnie's powerful magic gets o...