The Turning

By CreativeExplosion

"The sixth member of a clan always meant destruction in the vampire world." I.M is the fifth member of the MX... More

(One)
(Two)
(Three)
(Four)
(Five)
(Six)
(Eight)
(Nine)
(Ten)
(Eleven)
(Twelve)
(Thirteen)
(Fourteen)
(Fifteen)
(Sixteen)
(Seventeen)
(Eighteen)
(Nineteen)
(Twenty)
(Twenty-One)
(Twenty-Two)
(Twenty-Three)
(Twenty-Four)
(Twenty-Five)
(Twenty-Six)
(Twenty-Seven)
(Twenty-Eight)
(Twenty- Nine)
(Thirty)
(Thirty-One)
(Thirty-Two)
(Thirty-Three)
(Thirty-Four)
(Epilogue)

(Seven)

135 9 2
By CreativeExplosion

I.M walked up to their apartment door, large black messenger bag weighing down his left shoulder. He had four, three-hour tutoring sessions back to back. Each student had a huge exam on the horizon. It had been both rewarding and exhausting to watch them answer his handmade test questions. I.M keyed in their door code and waited for the buzz before entering the penthouse. Loud laughter drifting from the living room made him pause in front of the door.

In the living room, Wonho sat on the couch his arm around Hyungwon's shoulders. I.M frowned, dropping his bag to the floor and removing his shoes. In the back of his mind, he heard Kihyun scolding him for his messiness, but he pushed the voice aside. He was disappointed. His suspicions about Hyungwon were right. The new vampire still hated him for what he did. It was so clear to him. His shoulders slouched from the realization.

Even though Hyungwon hated him, I.M was happy about the clan growing closer to the new vampire. He tried to force a smile on his face, but he failed. The ache within his chest intensified. Hyungwon rather spend time with everyone in their clan expect him. It was unfair. He was the one who worried about Hyungwon the most. He worried about Hyungwon's low blood intake, the council, and many other things he couldn't think about. All he had done since he met their newest clan member was worry. His frowned deepened. Hyungwon hated him. He rubbed his chest, wincing. It was all so tiring.

"I.M?" Wonho asked, amusement in his voice. "Hey, come have a seat we are just watching a funny show about-hey are you okay?"

Hyungwon looked at him, head tilted to the side. They made eye contact, but the other avoided his gaze. I.M sighed. He guessed he would just get comfortable in his room, maybe sleep early. He greeted them both warmly and was on his way to his room, but Wonho grabbed his wrist.

"Hey, I.M. I actually have to make a call to work about something I just remembered," Wonho said. "But why don't you hang around here, keep Wonnie company, yeah?"

Before he could tell him no, Wonho leapt from the couch and bolted down the hall. He narrowed his eyes. His older clan member was too obvious. He turned his attention to Hyungwon's wide eyed stare. He rubbed at his chest, trying to soothe the ache growing within him. The other vampire looked so frightened.

"Don't worry," he said. "You don't have to sit here with me. I wouldn't even sit here with me."

He dropped onto the couch, folding his legs beneath himself. He could sit in silence and watch television. He pouted, bottom lip trembling. He couldn't believe how ridicules he was being. He was jealous of his other clan members because they were able to hang out with Hyungwon. How childish could he be? He should be happy that Hyungwon has the clan members caring for him. It was what he wanted. In fact, he was happy. He wanted support for their newest member. He averted his gaze from the television to the ground, frowning.

"Just tell me this one thing and I'll leave you alone," he said, playing with his fingers. Do you hate me because I turned you? Or do you hate me because I can't help you through the transition? Last night Kihyun was able to sing you to sleep and -"

"No."

"Oh, so the first one? I'm sorry," he said, curling into himself. "You have the right to hate me. I ruined your life. I've been ruining everything lately."

"No, I don't hate you."

I.M paused, eyes wide. Had he heard right? It couldn't be because the other vampire made it his life purpose to remind I.M of his failures and mistakes. Every time they interacted there was this sense of anxiety and weariness coming from Hyungwon. He wondered if the other vampire would ever like him after everything he had done.

"I-just didn't know how to approach you." Hyungwon said, looking at him. "This bond is super strange. Anytime you are around I feel how upset, angry, and anxious you are about something. I'm kind of overwhelmed by it. Like now. There is this twisting in my chest."

I.M looked up "As your sire, we feel each other's emotions strongly. Right, of course I'm suffocating you with my emotions. I'm so sorry I can't do anything right."

Hyungwon nodded, brows furrowed. "I understand and it's okay. And, uhm it is true, you know? I really don't hate you."

"You don't hate me?" I.M asked, lips curling up at the sides.

Hyungwon shook his head. I.M narrowed his eyes at him. It seemed too good to be true. No, it couldn't be true.

"You must hate me. I ruined everything for you," I.M said.

Hyungwon shook his head again.

"Okay, well -I can make it up to you! Give me a chance to do right. Kihyun told me he had to do a lot to make it up to Min. And Min jumped over hurdles to get me to stop giving him the cold shoulder. I can jump high by the way, it is one of my specialties. Want to see me jump? I can do it right now. The ceiling is kind of low but that is fine. I can still do it."

Hyungwon chuckled, eyes bright. "Are you always this silly?"

"Silly? I'm not silly. And I'm not weird!" he said, through a pout. "I didn't know my fledging would turn out so mean."

Hyungwon snorted. "Want to stay and watch television with me? You can change the channel."

"Oh?" I.M said. "Sure, wait I thought you liked the show?"

Hyungwon laughed, covering his smile. I.M didn't think hiding his bright, sparkling smile was necessary, but he didn't point it out. Instead he allowed himself to enjoy the warmth through their bond. For several hours he had felt nothing but pain, anxiety, and fear. He enjoyed the new feeling for a change.

"I lied. I didn't want to hurt Wonho's feelings."

I.M snickered. "Yeah, I get that. I'll change the channel. I think my favorite show is on."

The doorbell rang. He frowned, glancing at Hyungwon who shrugged his shoulders. I.M went to the door. He called out to the rest of the clan that he was going to open it. Wonho was the only one to respond. He laughed. At the door stood Jackson, from the Agashe clan, waving and smiling. He had no idea they had guest coming.

"Oh!" Jackson exclaimed. "Who is he?"

I.M looked over his shoulder, eyes wide. He forgot Hyungwon was still in the living room. He tried to block him from Jackson's view, but failed when the other vampire looked right over his shoulder.

"I.M, is Shownu here?"

I.M, froze like a deer caught in headlights. Standing behind Jackson was JB, leader of the Agashe clan. Huddling around their leader was the rest of the clan members. He gulped. He didn't expect the entire clan to show up at their door.

"Yes," I.M said, but he didn't move from the door.

I.M liked the Agashe clan. Over the fifty years he spent with the MX clan, he had also gotten to know the clan next door. Often, he found himself spending time with the other clan. They had seen the worst of his transition and he was grateful for their understanding. On any other day, he would have invited them in, a large smile on his lips, but now he was conflicted. The other clan didn't know about Hyungwon.

JB pointed at Hyungwon, brows furrowed. "Who is he?"

"No one."

I.M looked over his shoulder at Wonho, noticing the nervousness in his eyes. The elder vampire stood near the couch, body tense. If Wonho seemed anxious about the Agashe clan, then I.M didn't seem comfortable about the situation either. Hyungwon remained seated on the couch, eyes wide. I.M tried to calm down. He didn't want to suffocate the younger vampire with his extreme emotional responses. He turned his attention back to JB.

"Okay, I don't know why I am sensing a little hostility from you all," JB said, arms crossed. "But we aren't here to cause anyone harm. I personally wanted to come by because I've noticed Shownu looking less than happy. I was concerned."

"I'm fine."

I.M looked up at Shownu standing behind him.

"Are they going to invite us in?" Bambam asked. "Why are they being so rude?"

"Be patient, Bam," Jinyoung said. "Obviously there is something happening that they are uncomfortable about. Let's respect that."

"Since when do we respect rudeness?" Bambam asked.

JB looked at Shownu and then locked eyes with him. "May we come in?"

I.M glanced at Shownu, searching for the answer on his face. Shownu moved away from the door, no longer blocking the entrance. I.M sighed also moving away, gesturing for the other clan to enter. When they were all inside, I.M headed over to couch. He wrapped his arms around Hyungwon, trying to calm the nerves building in his chest. He trusted the Agashe clan, but at the end of the day they were all under the council. Sometimes being rule abiding vampires came first.

"So, who is he?" JB asked again, taking a seat in the chair by the couch. "He isn't a human. I can tell."

"No, he isn't human. He is a new vampire," Shownu said, voice firm. "Do you have a problem with it?"

"A sixth vampire," he said, voice filled with concern.

"It was a new development," Wonho said.

JB nodded. A shriek pierced the atmosphere as Minhyuk entered the room. I.M shook his head as he watched Minhyuk rush to Youngjae, throwing his arms around the other vampire. I.M rolled his eyes. Minhyuk acted like the clan hadn't been their neighbors for years. A snort left from between his lips. The other vampire really knew how to cut the tension in the room.

"Hey Minhyuk," Youngjae said, amusement in his voice.

"So, that guy is a new vampire? A sixth one?" Jackson asked. "Isn't that risky?"

JB eyed Shownu, brows raised. "Yes, very risky. What happened?"

"I.M happened." Kihyun said.

I.M looked at Kihyun, searching for disdain and anger behind his words. There was none. He released a sigh of relief as he removed his arms from Hyungwon. Unfortunately for him, it was clear the conversation they were about to have was going to be exhausting. He wished they could skip over the twenty questions game.

"He doesn't look like the mindless monsters the council warns us about," Bambam said, walking over to the couch and taking a seat.

"He isn't," I. M said.

Bambam nodded. "That is good."

I.M's gaze drifted toward the eldest member of the Agashe clan, Mark. Mark stood in front of the door, fidgeting. His gazed settled on Hyungwon for several minutes. I.M frowned. Several years ago, Mark looked at him the same way. Mark walked over to the couch, a dazed expression on his face.

I.M arose. "Mark, please don't. Not here."

Mark paused, fingers clenching and unclenching by his sides. I.M sighed. He knew there was no stopping the older vampire, but he tried blocking his path. Things were just getting to normal with Hyungwon. He didn't know what would happen after Mark used his gift. I.M rarely hated the gifts bestowed upon vampires after the transition, but he had to be honest. Mark's gift wasn't his favorite. Mark had the ability to see into the past of humans, vampires, and any other supernatural creatures.

Mark knelt in front of Hyungwon, taking the other's hands into his own. "It hurt didn't it?"

The others in the room turned to watch them.

"Mark, please don't," I.M said. "He'll tell us when he is ready."

Mark glanced at him for a second and then returned his gaze to Hyungwon. "It hurt when those men cornered you, didn't it?"

Hyungwon tensed beside him and tried his best to pull his hands from Mark's strong grip. I.M wanted to stop the interaction, but he couldn't. Instead, he gave Hyungwon's shoulder a squeeze. Several years ago, Mark had knelt before him the same expression in his eyes. He remembered how mad he had been when the older vampire revealed his past in front of the clan.

It had taken I.M several weeks to forgive Mark. He thought the other was callous. I.M stated he would never share private information about anyone no matter what his gift made him do. But he realized after a one on one conversation with JB that Mark couldn't control his ability. All the information he gathered had to be shared or he would suffer the pain and burden from the knowledge.

Mark's brows furrowed, voice strained as he continued. "You tried to reason with the thugs, but they were so angry. So, you finally gave them everything, but they still shot you."

Wonho gasped, eyes wide as he watched them. He could see the others were just as shocked by the information. I.M didn't know much about Hyungwon's situation, but he had his suspicions. None of Hyungwon's wounds had been self-inflicted. He had no idea why he Hyungwon's body had been dumped in the alley like useless trash, like his life didn't matter. The thought made him both furious and devastated.

"You cried for help, but-you were so tired weren't you Hyungwon?" Mark said, rubbing Hyungwon's knuckles with his fingers. "You were so tired and worried about Joo being alone. You knew you were going to die, didn't you?"

Silence fell upon them. The subtle sound of the clock ticking on the wall distracted him. He glanced at the time and frowned. The clock read 8p. Throughout the interaction, Hyungwon's body trembled. I.M had wanted to pull the other into an embrace, but he stopped himself. Hyungwon looked like he rather not be touched.

Mark's eyes widened, pulling his hands away from Hyungwon's as if he had been electrified. "I'm sorry. I am so sorry. I know you probably didn't want anyone to know. I'm so sorry. I can't control it."

JB stepped forward. "It's okay Mark. I'm sure they'll understand."

"Yeah, uhm it's fine. I meant to tell them sometime," Hyungwon said, voice pinched. "But better late than never yeah, that is my story. I was mugged. And now I'm a vampire. Funny how life works."

"It is okay Hyungwon," I.M said, eye soft.

"No, it isn't."

I.M's chest clenched as he reached out for Hyungwon's hand. "I'm so sorry."

Hyungwon nodded, shoulders slouching.

"When I found Hyungwon, he was laying in an alley, covered in blood, dying" I.M shared, tightening his grip on Hyungwon's hand. "Calling an ambulance would have been too late. I just didn't want him to die like that. So, I turned him. And I know we are in big trouble, but-I couldn't leave him like that. He looked so young and he didn't deserve that kind of death."

"I'm so sorry," Kihyun said.

I.M glanced at the older clan member and sighed.

Kihyun's fists were clenched on either side of him, voice wavering. "I'm so sorry. Please, please forgive me. I'm-I'm so so sorry."

I.M winced at the sadness leaking from Kihyun. He could tell the other was upset because of how he treated Hyungwon initially. I.M turned his gaze to the ceiling, trying to hold back the overwhelming grief washing over him. Hyungwon's unfortunate end had been at the hands of reckless thugs. He didn't know who to be more upset with the thugs or how he handled Hyungwon's situation. I.M should have done better, but there was nothing he could do about it now.

"Well, Hyungwon isn't like sixth vampires. Can't they leave him alone?" Jackson asked.

"Jackson, there is a rule about sixth vampires. There are supposed be destroyed," Jinyoung said, taking a seat at the kitchen table. "Sixth vampires aren't supposed to exist."

"Well that is a stupid rule," Jackson said, anger in his voice. "I mean Hyungwon doesn't seem bad to me."

JB looked at Shownu. "What do you plan to do?"

I.M looked at their leader, curious about his solution. Days have past and not one solution had been brought forward. It almost seemed like after they got to know Hyungwon no one wanted to talk too much about the consequences of I.M's actions anymore. Instead, they just wanted to be around Hyungwon and support him. I.M could understand that. All he wanted was for the council to leave them alone, so they could be a clan.

I.M bit the inside of his cheek, nerves swirling within his chest. He had only one solution and he didn't like it. Hyungwon wasn't in the right state of mind or physical health, but there was nothing he could do. He gave Hyungwon's hand a squeeze before he got up from the couch. He pondered a bit more and then decided to give his solution.

"Hyungwon will have to leave," I.M said.

"What?" Wonho asked. "Why?"

"I.M is right," Kihyun agreed, arms crossed, pushing aside his sadness. "The council will be able to figure out Hyungwon's existence a lot faster within the district they control than out of district."

"If Hyungwon heads back home, then the council won't be able to know his existence. Everyone knows the council only has power in designated districts," I.M said.

Younjae frowned as he took a seat beside Jinyoung. "I don't understand how that will work. It seems too simple a solution."

Youngjae made a good point. He had been skeptical about the council's weakness as well. How could an all-powerful council be contained by basic restrictions like districts. But there was only one reason to explain Hyungwon's luck. It took the council no time to find out a vampire had been created, but I.M created Hyungwon out of district. The council wouldn't have known Hyungwon was created. And there had been talk about unrest between the vampire council and the human government. It was obvious the council was distracted. It seemed many factors were working in their favor.

"Hey, everyone has a weakness," I.M said. "The council's is controlled by the human government. They have found a way to confide their power to certain areas. I'm not too familiar with the practice, but there is some witchcraft involved possibly. But it has been around for ages, right Shownu?"

Shownu nodded. "The council has been restricted by magical restraints for years and years."

"But Hyungwon needs help with after his transition?" Wonho asked. "We can't just let him fend for himself. When I.M turned, he need a solid two weeks to get settled. And even after that things weren't stable. Hyungwon barely drinks."

"He is going to have to learn to take care of himself better," Shownu said. "After today we all have to say goodbye to Hyungwon."

Minhyuk shook his head. "No, I don't like it."

"Minhyuk, we have to," I.M said. "I didn't want to say anything, but I understand the gravity of the situation and if we want a chance to evade the council well then we have to make sure Hyungwon is out of district."

"The council is busy with a very recent disagreement with the human government, so their hands are tied. They are more worried about another restriction than a sixth member," Shownu insisted. "The humans aren't happy with coexisting like before, so the council is trying to find a way to reason with the humans. All their focus is on that."

"Good, their distracted," I.M said. "I wasn't sure if the rumors about the vampire council and human government were true or not."

Wonho looked to Hyungwon. "We'll protect you Hyungwon."

Minhyuk shook his head from side to side. I.M sighed. A wave of nervous energy hit him, and his fists clenched by his sides. He noticed the subtle shaking of Minhyuk's body as he wrapped his arms around himself. He wanted to tell Min everything would be okay, but he had to be honest. He didn't feel comfortable with Hyungwon leaving them so soon.

"I really don't like this," Minhyuk said. "There has to be another way. Hyungwon needs to be with the clan. Everyone knows the bond of a clan stabilizes and gives you strength. He needs stability."

"There is no other way. We have to do this," Shownu said. "So, we can't leave right now. We need to leave when it is the darkest outside. In the meantime, we'll prepare Hyungwon with enough supplies to last him, until he is able to get his own. There is hospital in Geumcheon district that is vampire friendly. They'll provide blood bags for you, Hyungwon."

"I get to go home?" Hyungwon asked, looking around.

"Yes," Shownu said. "Wonho and I will accompany you. After today, we will no longer have any contact for safety purposes. You'll be on your own."

"I'll come too," I.M said.

"Too dangerous," Shownu said.

I.M frowned, arms crossed. "It doesn't make any difference really. I mean we are already in danger. How can me going make in any more dangerous?"

Silence fell across the room.

"Please, I turned him. I'm responsible for him."

Hyungwon snorted and then spoke. "I'm a grown man. I am twenty-one years old. I don't need someone to walk me home."

Kihyun shook his head, expression grim. "No, but you are a new vampire. There are a lot of things out there that will be targeting you beside the council. One of them are slayers."

Hyungwon's eyes widened at the comment. I.M could almost see the gears turning in his head. Slayers were not pleasant. He knew Hyungwon knew about them. Just like vampires weren't a secret, neither were slayers. Shownu disappeared into the kitchen and began pulling blood bags out of the fridge. Wonho disappeared into a closet, retrieving an old duffle and assisted Shownu with depositing the blood bags into the bag.

"Well, Hyungwon, we gave you all we have, just in case," Shownu said. "For now, we will relax."

Jackson, the youngest vampire of the Agashe clan, walked over to Hyungwon. "I'm sorry you have to leave. You seem like a cool guy. Hey, maybe we'll meet again sometime."

JB shook his head. "The idea is not to meet him again, Jackson. This is the last time any of us will be seeing Hyungwon. Hopefully, in all the confusion the council won't go looking for him or the MX clan."

I.M noticed the solemn looks on everyone's faces. Although the moment was saddening, he was pleased to see Hyungwon had such an impact on both clans. This was the support he wanted to see. It was unfortunate that Hyungwon couldn't stay with them, but he knew the importance of getting the vampire out of their district. It would be better for them all if Hyungwon headed back home and tried to live out his vampire life alone. He licked his lips, trying to ignore the aching in his chest.

~~~

The golden hue of the afternoon was replaced by the pitch-black darkness of the night. The Agashe clan left their penthouse and headed back to their own home. He could tell from the frowns on their faces that Hyungwon would be missed. He wished things were different, but they had no control over the matter. In the corner of his eyes, Shownu lifted the old duffle filled with blood bags from the ground. Wonho down a glass of blood and began to discuss with their leader.

Minhyuk had a firm hold on Hyungwon's hand as they shared hushed whispers between each other. He figured Minhyuk was being encouraging as he always did in any tense situation. Kihyun leant against the wall by the door, watching them. He made eye contact with Kihyun and the older vampire nodded at him.

"We'll make sure we stay off the ground if we can, so we'll travel from rooftop to rooftop to rooftop," Shownu said. "We'll stay away from main streets, but out of alleys. Our fellow vampires stalk the alleys the most and it would be against our best interest to run into them with a clan member they have never met."

I.M nodded, walking toward the door. He paused and turned around at the sight of Kihyun walking past him. A small smile spread across his lips as he watched Kihyun walk up to Hyungwon. The older vampire had a soft spot for new vampires and he expected an extra mushy goodbye from him. He leant against the wall by the doors, arms crossed. He would watch and see what happened.

"I'm sorry," Kihyun said, inches away from Hyungwon.

Hyungwon looked at him and then spoke, voice soft. "It's okay. We're okay."

Kihyun took a hold of both of Hyungwon's hands. "No, it isn't okay. I was rude and mean. My behavior was unacceptable. I didn't even give you a chance and I-I'm so sorry. I know you probably don't want to be reminded of what happened to you, but when I heard your story. I felt so bad. I felt so bad because I.M saved you from death, just like Shownu saved me."

"Oh," Hyungwon said, brows raised. "I had no idea, but I'm happy Shownu was able to help you. But really, we're okay. Uhm-I.M told me what you did for me when I was having a hard time. Thank you."

Kihyun looked at I.M over his shoulder. I.M nodded. Kihyun smiled and turned his attention back to Hyungwon. I.M sighed. There was no way he wasn't going to tell Hyungwon about what happened. Kihyun didn't sing for just anyone and he considered the event a big deal.

"You are welcome. I wanted to help you," Kihyun said. "It was the least I could do."

Hyungwon smiled, pulling a surprised Kihyun into an embrace. I.M shook his head. Unlike Minhyuk, Wonho, and Hyungwon Kihyun couldn't feel touch. Kihyun was not able to feel anyone's touch. Despite the hinderance, he smiled within Hyungwon's embrace. When they separated, a serious expression fell across Kihyun's face.

"My biggest advice to you will be to lay low. I am sure Shownu, Wonho, and I.M will repeat this to you, but we must be cautious. If you can, try and stay out of the public eye, that is great. But you don't have to isolate yourself. Just be careful in everything you do. We don't want to lose you," Kihyun said. "I'm very sure I.M doesn't want to lose you especially."

"He is right," I.M said.

"What about Joo? I am guessing he is a human right?" Minhyuk asked, walking over to them. "Is it a good idea he heads back home? Maybe we get him a new place for his own."

"No," Hyungwon said, shaking his head. "I'll get Joo to understand. He is my best friend. We've been through too much. I'll-he'll understand. I'll be okay."

I.M smiled. So, the "Joo" guy was a friend. I.M approached Hyungwon as Kihyun moved away. There was special bond that formed between sire and fledgling. I.M never imagined he would know how it felt. He wondered if most vampires felt concern or fear when they got separated from a new vampire, but he squashed down the swell of doubt in his chest.

"Kihyun is right about laying low, but also please drink something. You'll need to drink two blood bags when you get back home."

"I can't."

"You have to. Kihyun is right. Even if we won't be together it doesn't mean we won't care. We do care. I care about you."

Hyungwon's lips stretched into a wide, glistening smile, his new fangs on display. Most humans would find the sight terrifying. I.M thought it was the brightest and warmest smile he had ever witnessed on the other's face. He glanced at Wonho and Shownu and noticed they were looking at their times. It was time for them to go. He hunched down, offering his back to Hyungwon.

"Let's go," I.M said.

Hyungwon hesitated and then nodded, wrapping his arms around I.M's neck. I.M grinned. It was time to get Hyungwon home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 5.2K 33
"Would you still be able to accept me if you knew the truth?" Chae Hyungwon is a vampire unlike the rest, and there is a new girl in the neighborhoo...
690K 27.3K 68
"once they get a taste of blood they never forget it" "they lose themselves to the mental high and sexual rush." "human blood is just like a narcotic...
12.5K 620 21
✔️COMPLETE✔️ A land ruined by war. A group known to survivors as "Monsta X" or "The Clan" set out to restore peace in their city. On their travels th...
191K 8.4K 39
"that mark symbolize that you're mine now, all mine, and mine only." Jake was living a peaceful life; no regrets, no worries, just pure happiness. No...