The Chronicles Of The Council...

Per ZoekieS

The parallel lives of two princesses living a millennium apart are bound together in the most unlikely of way... Més

Prologue
Part 1: Aebbé
Chapter 1: Aebbé - Uncharted
Chapter 2: Aebbé - Respect
Chapter 3: Aebbé - Allies
Chapter 4: Idunn - Intention
Chapter 5: Aebbé - Grown
Chapter 6: Aebbé - Kindness
Chapter 7: Aebbé - Monsters
Chapter 8: Aebbé - Queen
Part 2: Laelia
Chapter 10: Aylissa - Dark
Chapter 11: Khairrim - Tears
Chapter 12: Laelia - Gift
Chapter 13: Laelia - Guardian
Chapter 14: Laelia - Myth
Chapter 15: Laelia - Contradictions
Chapter 16: Laelia - Lesson
Chapter 17: Laelia - Transformation
Chapter 18: Laelia - Truth
Part 3: Aebbé
Chapter 19: Aebbé - Confidence
Chapter 20: Aebbé - Rust
Chapter 21: Aebbé - Detached
Chapter 22: Aebbé - Dedication
Chapter 23: Aebbé - Riddles
Chapter 24: Aebbé - Threat
Chapter 25: Khairrim - Brothers
Chapter 26: Aebbé - Dismissal
Part 4: Laelia
Chapter 27: Laelia - Impossible
Chapter 28: Laelia - Departure
Chapter 29: Laelia - Advice
Chapter 30: Laelia - Breathe
Chapter 31: Laelia - Superstition
Chapter 32: Laelia - Raven's Peak
Chapter 33: Laelia - Filth
Chapter 34: Laelia - Disgrace
Chapter 35: Laelia - Ghosts
Chapter 36: Laelia - Art
Part 5: Aebbé
Chapter 37: Aebbé - Unexpected
Chapter 38: Aebbé - Sinister
Chapter 39: Aebbé - Possibilities
Chapter 40: Caith - Ransom
Chapter 41: Aebbé - Falling
Chapter 42: Aebbé - Murderer
Chapter 43: Aebbé - Questions
Chapter 44: Aebbé - Debt
Chapter 45: Aebbé - Rain
Chapter 46: Caith - Revenge
Part 6: Laelia
Chapter 47: Laelia - Evidence
Chapter 48: Laelia - Repercussions
Chapter 49: Laelia - Desire
Part 7: Aebbé
Chapter 50: Aebbé - Mourn
Chapter 51: Aebbé - Dungeon
Chapter 52: Caith - Demotion
Chapter 53: Aebbé - Reunion
Chapter 54: Aebbé - Leap
Chapter 55: Gift
Chapter 56: Aebbé - Brother
Chapter 57: Aebbé - Wedding
Chapter 58: Aebbé - Drowning
Part 8: Laelia
Chapter 59: Laelia - Run
Chapter 60: Laelia - Waking
Chapter 61: Laelia - Atarah
Epilogue: Khairrim - Drowning
Bonus Chapter 1: Caith - Fragile
Bonus Chapter 2: Caith - Trees
Maps

Chapter 9: Caith - Events

579 59 106
Per ZoekieS

"You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength." – Marcus Aurelius

Raven's Peak, Ardam 40

Caith sat in his tent – hunched over maps of Ligtland. Something about the war just didn't make sense, but he couldn't figure it out. Why would Darkeland attack now?

"Caith, we'll need more arrows."

Caith looked up from the maps at Walter seated at another table in the tent.

"We had them delivered the day before the battle."

"I know, but my calculations put us short of them."

Caith took his hair in his hands. He was missing a vital piece. Another player?

"Walter, have we had word from that last mission?"

"Not even a ripple of water."

Someone was betraying secrets to the enemy. He smiled. That was what he was missing: a traitor. Someone high up. 

He would first clear those of his Order before accusing the others. It wouldn't be Walter.

He smiled as he recalled the day Walter reported for duty.

Caith looked at the brown-haired youth in front of him. He had the most unique blue eyes, well not exactly unique. Caith saw that eyes every time he looked at his own reflection.

"So, tell me your name," he said as emotionless as possible.

"I am very honoured to be considered for the order. I know few humans are ever admitted to the order."

The boy was nervous. He stuttered.

Caith wanted to laugh at the boy. He wanted to laugh at the absurdity of this situation. Caith had just officially met the boy, and he already he had crept into Caith's heart.

"Your name," Caith asked again.

"Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. I babble when I am nervous and I am very nervous now. My name, sir. I am Walter, sir."

"Walter. And your last name?" Caith enquired gently.

"I am just Walter, sir."

"You do not have a father?"

"I have a father. He just did not stay to give me his name, sir."

The boy had a sense of humour.

"From where are you, Walter Not-Named?"

He didn't address the boy as Caith was addressed: Caith No-Name.

"I am from Clearview-Riversmeet, sir. But you have probably never seen it, sir, or heard of it, sir."

Caith laughed. "Please stop with all the sirs. And I have been to Clearview-Riversmeet. It is a delightful little town."

"I know! I love it."

"You have come very far from home, Walter."

"Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. No more sirs, sir."

Then the boy laughed. It sounded so alike to Caith's own laugh.

"I have come very far from that delightful little town. My mother always told me that I could be more than just a farmer. She told me that I could be a great soldier."

"Why did you not join the other, more appropriate order?"

"My mother died very recently, sir. I have my own farm. My grandfather disowned my mother, but my uncle gave me a small piece of his land. I lived there, with my mom and my sister. My mom always told me that I should join this order if I wanted to be a soldier. She told me that I would find more peace here."

"You have a sister?"

"A twin. I adore her. She is so beautiful. She has the same eyes I have, but she has blonde hair. It is more gold really. It is almost the same colour as yours, sir."

A male and female twin. They are the first twins. A long-forgotten prophecy rings a bell in his distant memory. About a twin born to a twin. Caith should tell his own twin about these. He was sure that she would find the prophecy and have an explanation

"Walter, you should go back to your farm and your sister. War is not easy. You get scars, physically and emotionally."

"I cannot go back. Not yet, sir. I have to join the order."

"Do you really want to?"

"Yes."

The boy waited a moment, deep in thought. "Yes," he said with more confidence and absolute certainty.

Caith waited before he replied.

The boy had potential. He could be the next leader of the order.

Caith was also curious to know everything about Walter.

"Welcome, son. You will start training when you leave this room. You will work hard before you are worthy of your oath."

"I will work very hard. I know I am worthy of this order."

Walter started to leave Caith's office.

"Walter, wait a moment."

Caith hesitated before he said his next words: "It will be difficult to adjust to this life. The elves are hostile towards humans here. You might find a friend in Prince Eoghan and his friends. The humans might befriend you, but always be careful. Trust only yourself, prince Eoghan and me. Walter, if you need anything, always trust the water."

"My mom also said that to me, before she died. The part about trusting the water."

"Your mother was a clever woman. Now go, Walter."

"Thank you, sir."

"Go, Walter."

"Yes, sir." The boy hurried out of the room.

Caith hoped that Walter would be able to find what he was looking for.

"Caith, what are you thinking of? You're smiling. You rarely do that."

"I'm thinking of the day you entered the Order, and how far you have come."

Walter blushed, and for a moment he looked like the boy from seven years ago.

"I'm proud of you, Walter."

"Thank you, Caith. That means a lot to me. It means to me more than anything else ever could."

Caith's smile vanished as he remembered the rest of that day.

Caith stood up and walked to the door. The boy did not close it when he exited. Caith found Eoghan Darkwood waiting outside with Ludel Strongwind, Damaris Farforest and Reynyn Floodfinder.

"Are there any other recruits?"

"No, Lord Caith," Farforest answered.

"Then you can come in."

Caith waited for them to enter before he closed the door.

"I know that you know why I have summoned you. You are the only ones from the powerful families in the order currently. It is my duty to teach you all that I have learnt, and all that is in the books that only the leader of this Order can read so that you might one day fulfil the duties that are yours by birth."

Caith knew that these four young elves were the ones that resented him most for attaining the leadership of the Second Order after only two years of serving. They felt that they had more right to it that he did. They might be right. Caith still doesn't know why he joined the order. Boredom?

"I also know that you resent my leadership."

They answered with silence.

"I will only be the leader for a short moment in your lives, and then I will choose a successor. It is in your best interest to work with me. Even though I am your leader, I will look to the four of you for advice and support. I will teach you what I know, and I would like to learn from you. When we are in this room, or anywhere on our own, you can call me just by the name of 'Caith'."

He paused: "Are you ready to start your training?"

Caith tensed when the silence was not broken.

Prince Eoghan Darkwood broke it after a few uncomfortable seconds. "Yes, Caith. From now on I am only Eoghan to you."

The others followed the prince's lead in a matter of seconds.

"Good.'"

If the traitor was in his home, it would be Strongwind, but even Strongwind wouldn't betray them. No, the traitor was not his. Neither would the traitor be a skado. They were even more fiercely loyal than the elves.

"Walter, did you obtain the other information I asked you to find out?"

Walter broke into a grin: "I did. I already had a lot on her. I just touched it up."

"You did?"

"Yes. I have something on every one of significance. And she is quite significant."

"Tell me."

"It will be my pleasure. It is interesting. She is interesting. She is a healer. Not a nurse, but a healer of the First Rank. She just returned from Inwir City where she was trained as the first human woman ever to attain that title. At the time of her admission, she had a letter of recommendation by Elan, Healer of the First Rank, and private healer to the Ardam Family. He finished first in his class – surpassing even the elves," Walter grinned - the boy in him admired anyone who bested the elves.

"I know Elan, but tell me about her."

"I'm getting to it. Have patience. Elan has said that she has exceptional skill, and will one day surpass him."

"I have heard all of this."

"The next part you haven't heard. There was apparently an incident in her youth that urged her to become a healer."

"What?"

"No-one knows, but there are whispers."

"What do the whispers say?"

"Death."

"Who died?"

"No-one knows."

Caith frowned. The princess was proving more intriguing than he thought. He rapped his fingers on the table.

"And no-one knows who her mother is."

Caith's head perked up: "She is the princess. How can no-one know who her mother is?"

"There is no documented proof that King Ardam was married at the time of her birth. There are no portraits of other women – other than the two mothers of his sons and his childhood sweetheart."

"Is she legitimate?"

"The King declared her his born and only daughter, and no-one dared to even doubt him in their thoughts. You've heard what he did during his wars?"

Caith nodded. The Ardam wars were bloody - very bloody.

"Thank you, Walter."

"What should I do about the arrows?"

Caith thought for a moment: "Require more, but none with metal tips. It will be faster in being delivered if it is made from only wood."

"I never thought of that."

"You eventually would have."

Caith remembered something else: "Walter, I promised Idunn that I will bring someone to drink tea with her."

Walter looked up – clearly unsettled: "Please don't request that of me."

Caith smiled sadly: "I wouldn't. No, she has specific demands."

He relayed Idunn's request and asked Walter to deliver the message to the princess.

Idunn might help to shed a sliver of light on the mystery that is Aebbé Ardam.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

596 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
Who Was Her? ✔ Per ☛☚

Misteri / Suspens

1.1K 341 12
***A forbidden romance, mystery-thriller short story*** Due to depression, anxiety and financial issues the 20 year old Arlen stumbles across a fores...
1.2M 48.6K 46
"As I laid on the filthy mat, my white hair fanning out like a halo around my head, I felt that ice inside of me fester. It grew and spread until it...
45.7K 3.2K 43
Featured in Wattpad HighFantasy & Magic II 19-year-old Aria is ready to accept her doomed fate of marrying the cruel Lord Lathik. An alliance that wi...