Widget

By Arcanna-Fyre

An X-men fan fiction following a young mutant girl with shocking powers. Natalie Stone, more commonly known a... More

Widget

22 0 0
By Arcanna-Fyre

The grease monkey knelt beside her trusty bike, giving it the tune up it needed. A few sparks flew here and there and she fused what she needed to fuse. Repair what needed fixing. The doorbell to her grease shop jingled. She stood, wiping her hands on the nearest rag, then headed to the main lobby. A man who was there was tall, dark, built very well, and seemed pissed.

"What can I do for yea sugar?" She asked as she rested her arms on the counter. She tossed a stick of gum in to her teeth as she waited for a reply.

"My bike broke down in front of here. Can I pull it in and fix it?" He started. "I don't have money to pay so I can fix it my self if you let me use the tools." Being a kind heart, Natalie let the brute do just that.

" I just better not be losing any. These things are my babies." She smiled, pulling her goggles out of her dark brunette hair and over her eyes before she grabbed the torch. She went back to work on her ride just as fast as she stopped. The stranger looked over at her with a curious twinkle in his eye.

"Never seen this build before, seems kinda old. What is it?"

Natalie looked over her shoulder, smiling softly. She pushed her bangs out of her faced and huffed.

"This old thing?" She asked obviously pointing to the bike she was working on. " It's a one of a kind piece. I built it my self with pieces off of older bikes. Good engine from here, great breaks from there. You get the idea."

"From the tires up?"

"Yup, every last piece. Some even rebuilt from a bolt." She smiled and rubbed the side of her creation. She looked at the man and smiled. "So sugar, whats the name you got?"

"Logan." His voice seemed to trail off, as he started to say more he was cut off by her hand raising up.

"I asked your name sugar, not your life story." She laughed. His pissed look lightened. " Logan? Nice to meet you. The names Natalie, Natalie Stone. " she tipped the invisible hat that she apparently wore.

After a few good hours of fixing and chatting, Logan had to go. Natalie gave a friendly wave, and some parts and a portable toll box. Her new friend was gone within minutes. Returning to work Natalie decided to turn on the news. Apparently some baddies were in her home town and causing havoc. The baddies were identified as Magneto and Mystique. These two were dueling it okay in the open air. Natalie knew she wasn't safe when her building began to rattle, her tools began to rise and her bike began to pull away. She grabbed her best tool kit, hopped on her baby and got away fast.

Much later that night, when the duo was torn apart and things were safe, Natalie returned. Only to discover, her dream, her home. Was torn apart. Her heart dropped. Widget's was her home. She was a mechanic and that was her work shop. She was furious. Suddenly she heard whimpering, and spotted a leg under the rubble. Quickly she did what she could to help.

What she found was a mutant. Mystique was injured. Hiding in the rubble of Natalie's home.

Natalie helped the blue mutant from the rubble of the building that once stood there. She asked in a soft,warm tone.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes,I am fine. Leave me be." Mystique stood on her own. Falling to the ground soon after. Natalie quickly caught her. She helped the mutant back to her feet. Staying next to her as something for Mystique to lean on. "Why are you helping me?" She asked, with fear in her voice. She was ashamed of being helped. Natalie could hear it.

"I helped you, because I want to. You are hurt. I have watched you on the news. I know your in pain. Magneto through you around like a paper bag in the wind."

Mystique's face calmed. Instead of looking as if she wanted to attack, she let Widget help her. As the two moved towards the bike a flash of lightning came down and struck Widget, sending Mystique flying. Once the shock was over Widget ran over to Mystique seeing if she was okay. The blue mutant looked shocked.

"You, You are one of us. You are a mutant to arnt you? You just absorbed that shock like it was nothing.. You no human."

Widget shook her head, denying every claim. She helped Mystique back to the bike and sat her on it. before pointing to the sky.

"Look up there, the X-man are coming. We need to get you safe. I know they will try to attack you."

"No.. If Professor X is with them I won't get hurt. If anything he will help me. Just wait with me please."

Widget nodded and got Mystique off her bike. Bringing her over to the grass and sitting her in it. They waiting quietly as the X-jet came down. Storm leading the giant metal tube. The hatched open and a few of the X-men came out. One of them Widget noticed right away. Jumping on her feet she looked at the brute she met before.

"Your one of them?!" She said ecstatically.

Wolverine looked at the young girl. He simply shook his head and brought his palm to his forehead.

"Yeah, I am. I guess thanks for letting me fix my bike.. " He seemed a little embarrassed, but still with his strong composure. He looked around at the others around him. Storm looked a little surprised, quickly moving over to see Widget. She landed, her feet on the ground firmly as she touched the younger one's face.

"Are you okay, did I scare you with my lighting? I noticed it hit near you and Mystique. " She examined Widget's body. "Well you seem fine. "

"She was struck!" Yelled the blue mutant, cowering on the grass. Holding her arm. Her face was pained as she looked back down to her knees. Professor X rolled over to her, put out his hand and helped the poor girl up. The others looked on, knowing Mystique was a sly one. Always ready to attack if needed.

Professor X simply brought her back to the X-jet and brought her inside, Storm following behind to help her. After about twenty minutes of chatting with the remaining mutants the Professor returned.

"Natalie -" He started, "come here. I would like to speak with you. I know you are one of us. Come with us and we can help you learn to control your powers. "

Widget stepped forward. "I really don't know what you are talking about.. I am not a mutant. I am a simple mechanic. I work my heart out for a living." She looked around as she heard Logan scoff. She glared at him "What is your problem?"

Pointing over his shoulder at the rubble from her old shop. "I watched you work, half the tools you were using weren't plugged in." He crossed his arms under his chest, before hesitantly pulling out a cigar and starting to smoke it. The smoke he blew out of his lips moved through the stormy skies, catching Widget's eye. She shook her head to snap out of her distraction, nearly stomping her foot.

"I don't know what you are talking about. I follow a certain code while I work on my stuff. All the tools I need to work with are checked regularly." As she stepped closer to Logan a spark left her shoulder, jumping from her to him. A simple smile curled on the professors lips.

"Just as I thought, electric." With out a moment passing Storm showed her face from the jet, Static left her hands and flew towards Widget. The unknowing girl leaped out of the way. Scrapping her knee as she hit the pavement.

"What the hell was that about!" She yelled, her voice shaking with anger. "You say I am one of you, yet you attack me?!" She seemed betrayed by people she looked up to since she was a little girl. She looked down shaking her head, before heading to her bike and mounting it. "Just leave me alone." With out another word, the bike was revving up. Widget was gone in a burst of dust.

Hours later, far out of town the bike began to slow down. Putting towards the side of the road. She gazed at the gas gauge, growling under her breath. Once she fully stopped she got off her prize possession and kicked it until it fell over. She wiped her eyes quickly as she felt tears forming. She shook her head before falling on to the ground extremely angry and tired. She looked around, No one for miles. Even though she was surrounded by lush greens, the air seemed extremely dry. Standing up she screamed at the top of her lungs. She never wanted to be a mutant but she knew they were all right. Electricity went flying from her body in every which direction. Burning the ground, disappearing in to the sky, cracking some nearby trees in half. She sat back on the ground, holding her knees again and crying. After about an hour a car drove by, stopped a few feet ahead of her and then backing up.

"Hey stranger do you need some help?"

With a hopeful look in her eye Widget asked. "Do you have enough gas to get me to Toronto? My bike ran out about an hour ago... I just need a tank and I can just make it."

The stranger kindly popped the trunk, smiling at her. "I have a few tanks that I am bringing to a friend. Take what you need."

Widget quickly tore her last 20 out of her pocket and handed it to the man through the window.

"Please it is the least I can do." The stranger took it with a smile.

"No problem, I hope you get there safely."

Once Widget got the gas she needed the stranger stayed around to make sure Widget was able to fill the tank and get her bike running, when she was able to do that the stranger left with a wave.

She stroked her bike handles as if it were a pet before tying down the tank to her bike. Apologizing for kicking it over and then started on her way to the big city.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 57.8K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
142K 6.5K 36
"I can never see you as my wife. This marriage is merely a formality, a sham, a marriage on paper only." . . . . . . She was 10 years younger than hi...
418K 25K 84
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
774K 28.7K 103
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...